Type keyword(s) to search

Current Plots Discussion: Actually Today's Episode

Message added by scarynikki12

Spoilers are not allowed in this thread. Period. Any posts that include spoilers (and casting information qualifies) will be removed. There are several other threads that allow spoilers so take that discussion to one of them.

• Start Topic

10 hours ago, nilyank said:

Two kids and 22 years of marriage and still together.

I still hate that they had Lawrence go crazy (because she had Daniel's lovechild aka Melanie) and have Carly kill him.

MelanIe should have been Lawrence and Carly's daughter. 

• Love 1
On 12/18/2019 at 10:35 PM, CanaryFan98 said:

Meh is an understatement. It doesn't help that the writers kept changing the past few years I think Tomlin/Whitesell were truly interested in him the others not so much. That being said they valued Abby more that much is obvious but all the Horton males get shortchanged on this show.

I really hope Casey finds a much better gig.... 

I don't understand why they invested more in Abby. Sure, Chabby is a popular pairing, or used to be. And I daresay JJ never really had that. True enough also, that after several years on this show, you aren't going to get much, story line wise, if your pairings don't take off. I see JJ as a unique character, in the sense that he doesn't need to always be in a pairing, to be a viable choice for a storyline. I see Brady the same way-they have solid non romantic connections and interests, and it should be easy to think of ideas for them. Jack and Jennifer's baby boy deserves far more attention and respect ! Just as John and Isabella's son should be a major force and driving storylines.

• Love 6

Roman to Kate in her Brady Pub apartment when she did a no call no show then claimed to be sick. “Am I not supposed to notice this is a man’s shoe” 

Kate “I keep that around to kill spiders” 

Roman “A flyswatter would be cheaper.” 

Kate “Okay. This is a momento from a weekend I spent with a 1 legged Jockey and how remarkable it was he overcame his limitations” 

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f297b2e3d38df45db0e29

• LOL 12
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, Pearson80 said:

As much as I adored Bo/Carly version 1, version 2 was just awful and nonsensical. I would not have had a problem if Carly and Lawrence were secretly working together to steal Hope's vast fortune through her widower Bo at the time.  Lawrence and Carly were hot.  Perhaps she falls for Bo along the way, altering her deadly plans with Lawrence. It would have given Carly a bit more of an edge. A vengeful Lawrence could have gone after Carly, Bo, Jack and Jennifer. 

Rewatching the Bo/Carly love story a few years ago, I realized that Carly was a Mary Sue during her original run. I did not care since I loved her so much.. I am a rare Bope fan that adored Bo/Carly, their love scenes in Mexico were hot.. Their Mayan symbolic wedding on top of that pyramid was so awesome.. I still remember their beautiful poem. The writers used to really take the time and effort to craft a love story.  The end result showed that they cared and put in the work to reward their faithful audience..

Bo and Carly was much better than Bo and Hope.  Can’t Stand Hope, the actress can’t act, this incarnation of princess Gina is worse than the last one. Dear God, they are ruining Steve also.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, kitmerlot1213 said:

And were we supposed to be cheering Kristin and Lani's mean girl nastiness while they baited Gabi?  I really don't know what the writers intentions are with these storylines.

Seriously. I mean to me it's obvious they want us to see Gabi as the evilest evil that ever eviled (she was rude to a waitress for pete's sake!) but like maybe don't write the people she's against as smug assholes and that might work out better for them.

10 hours ago, boes said:

Anyone else having trouble hearing Chad?  All he seems to do is mumble and sneer.  

I have never been able to fully understand him. 

• Love 10
44 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

Seriously. I mean to me it's obvious they want us to see Gabi as the evilest evil that ever eviled (she was rude to a waitress for pete's sake!) but like maybe don't write the people she's against as smug assholes and that might work out better for them.

I have never been able to fully understand him. 

My biggest problem with the Gabi and abby is it's not balanced at all when she's done some shitty things to Gabi just as much as Gabi has to her mentally ill or not.

I've watched some DID stories on other soaps and none of them came off as smug as abby has 

• Love 9
8 hours ago, Rafael said:

MelanIe should have been Lawrence and Carly's daughter. 

Well not Melanie but in general but yes Lawrence/Carly should've had a daughter though it would've been a nice twist if Lawrence thought it wasn't his kid(thanks to Vivian maybe?) only to give her away and find out she was his and then he finds out the horrible life she had because of it.. This could've driven story for years on this show...

They could've paired her with JJ then we'd have the child of Jack/Jennifer paired with the child of Lawrence/Carly also driven story for years on this show.

Its amazing how Days never takes the obvious route when it comes to drama...

• Love 5
7 hours ago, IWantCandy71 said:

I don't understand why they invested more in Abby. Sure, Chabby is a popular pairing, or used to be. And I daresay JJ never really had that. True enough also, that after several years on this show, you aren't going to get much, story line wise, if your pairings don't take off. I see JJ as a unique character, in the sense that he doesn't need to always be in a pairing, to be a viable choice for a storyline. I see Brady the same way-they have solid non romantic connections and interests, and it should be easy to think of ideas for them. Jack and Jennifer's baby boy deserves far more attention and respect ! Just as John and Isabella's son should be a major force and driving storylines.

I agree I never needed JJ in a pairing to like him or find him appealing to watch but on this show unless you're are favored by the writers/TPTB on this show like Gabi, Brady, Kate are who can still be on the show despite not having a hit pairing(although Gabi has Stefan I guess).   A character has to be in a hit pairing for the show to bother with them. I can think of a ton of stories for JJ the show can't because they don't care.

However Days stopped writing for individual characters and only care about them if they are in a pairing which is absurd because they don't write those well either. Plus if one leaves and the other stays they end up getting stuck in this rut(see Hope, Kayla etc) which is rather unfair a character should be able to exist without their popular pairing.

The show doesn't see Casey Moss as leading man material or view JJ the same way for that matter and nothing is going to change that so I rather JJ be written out and Casey find a much better gig I can enjoy him in. It will NEVER get better for him.

As for Friday's episode, Eli's Rafe like tendencies are why I can never get behind this character... I mean lost in his rant towards Abby he conveniently ignores the fact that he went along with the lie of David's paternity because he didn't want Gabi to find out and also didn't want the kid either.

I would've liked Eli at the time to have some self awareness of this when he went off on Valerie for keeping his paternity from him but of course that wasn't going to happen for a variety of reasons.

Edited by CanaryFan98
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, MsTree said:

I am thoroughly enjoying the "sisterhood" between Lani & Kristen. And as far as I'm concerned, Gabi deserves anything & everything coming her way.

I'm enjoying Kristen and Lani's "sisterhood" too.  It's been a long time since we've had 2 women as friends.  Course it's all about revenge on Gabi, but oh well, gotta take what we can get.

Anyone else seeing/liking the chemistry between Roman and Kate?  Zero though between Stevano and Kate.

I was glad that finally yesterday characters started talking about Christmas shopping.  

I appreciate Ron trying to do a completely different/off the wall storyline, but this Stevano thing is really stupid.  Also not thrilled that they sent Rolf away. He was the best part of this bad storyline.

So a couple shows ago Gina said she was going to Hong Kong for Christmas to visit Shawn and Belle. Of course that was just her excuse for trying to skip town, but someone, Abby maybe, said Shawn and Belle were coming to Salem for Christmas.   Do you think there's a chance we might really see them?  Probably not, right, 

I'm looking forward to next week and the ornament hanging episode. Even when I stopped watching for years, I would still turn the tv on when I got home on Christmas Eve to watch the Horton tree ornament hanging. It's not the same as when Tom and Alice were still alive, but I still love watching it.

• Love 9

Can somebody explain to me Why Kate hates Kayla so much? I just find it odd that she seems to be so hostile to a woman who has never done anything to her or her kids. We all know that Kate will go after anybody who harms any of her kids.  

Edited by Pearson80
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, Pearson80 said:

Can somebody explain to me Why Kate hates Kayla so much? I just find it odd that she seems to be so hostile to a woman who has never done anything to her or her kids. We all know that Kate will go after anybody who harms any of her kids.  

Well Kayla did try and donate Kate's heart to Julie... that's why. She also did spy on Kate and break into her hotel room per Stefan's orders.... 

I mean granted that's tame compare to what others have done to her but its not completely out there..

Yes it was Abby who mentioned Shelle was coming home for Christmas.

Edited by CanaryFan98
  • Love 1

Bo and Carly was much better than Bo and Hope.  Can’t Stand Hope, the actress can’t act, this incarnation of princess Gina is worse than the last one

In complete agreement with you on all of this. Heck I even liked Bo and Carly 2.0 and the writers did a terrible job with that entire story (Carly's return from beginning to end was a mess). And even though the 2.0 version story was a mess, I still thought Peter Reckell and Crystal Chappell had good on screen chemistry.

I feel absolutely nothing when Hope/Gina is on screen. KA cannot act at all in my opinion. I honestly don't think she has chemistry with any of the other actors and that included PR. I don't think Rafe is the only issue with the Rope pairing. Granted he isn't the best actor, but then having to work with KA? Yikes.

My biggest problem with the Gabi and abby is it's not balanced at all when she's done some shitty things to Gabi just as much as Gabi has to her mentally ill or not.

Agreed. I just don't see how Gabi is totally the bad guy and Abigail gets to skate. I find Abby so smug that I cheer for Gabi - even when she is doing something not so nice.

Kate and Stevano is a big zzzzzzz for me. I don't quite understand why Kate and Roman aren't together - the actors have chemistry.

• Love 8
4 hours ago, hypnotoad said:

In complete agreement with you on all of this. Heck I even liked Bo and Carly 2.0 and the writers did a terrible job with that entire story (Carly's return from beginning to end was a mess). And even though the 2.0 version story was a mess, I still thought Peter Reckell and Crystal Chappell had good on screen chemistry.

I feel absolutely nothing when Hope/Gina is on screen. KA cannot act at all in my opinion. I honestly don't think she has chemistry with any of the other actors and that included PR. I don't think Rafe is the only issue with the Rope pairing. Granted he isn't the best actor, but then having to work with KA? Yikes.

Agreed. I just don't see how Gabi is totally the bad guy and Abigail gets to skate. I find Abby so smug that I cheer for Gabi - even when she is doing something not so nice.

Kate and Stevano is a big zzzzzzz for me. I don't quite understand why Kate and Roman aren't together - the actors have chemistry.

Kristen Alfonzo is horrible, always was! I don't know how she lasted all these years. I guess this is an unpopular opinion but I never Rafe was that bad an actor.  I just don't get the same feeling watching this show anymore, except for a few days here and there , as I did many years ago. I don't know if it's the cast, the stories or just me. But I miss the old "days". 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6
On 12/19/2019 at 11:03 PM, Pearson80 said:

Kate was not present when Shayla happened. 

Nope, she sure wasn't. Kate came to town (as Deborah Adair) with the entitled-brat version of Lucas in 1993. The horror that was Shane and Kayla happened around 1990/1991.

Why Ron thinks anyone wanted to be reminded of that is a mystery for the ages.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, peachmangosteen said:

Is the show on Christmas Eve and Christmas day?

Yes they have new episodes 

They will be preempted New Year's Day.

As for Kate/Roman its JT Roman's best pairing(yeah I know not saying much) however this show doesn't want Kate in a stable relationship and he would never accept her for who she is either. She'd be bored by him like she was the last time. So Kate will be whoring around till the show ends.

57 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

Nope, she sure wasn't. Kate came to town (as Deborah Adair) with the entitled-brat version of Lucas in 1993. The horror that was Shane and Kayla happened around 1990/1991.

Why Ron thinks anyone wanted to be reminded of that is a mystery for the ages.

So then Kayla would be shamed by Kate of all people for moving on from Steve is my guess. It would've made more sense for this to have been brought up by Eve who was in town or Theresa when she used to be here.

DA's version of Kate was my favorite tbh. She was more balanced as a character. I think LK is a good recast but somewhere along the way Kate just became a caricature and lost her purpose on the show to me a good 15 years ago.

• Love 3

I so agree, @CanaryFan98. Deborah Adair was the Kate I liked and even though she has been played by this actress FAR longer than she was by DA, I never liked her as Kate. I thought I was the only one who even remembered the first Kate! This Kate character is tacky, vile, cruel, back-stabbing and a liar with absolutely no redeeming values - OK, she loves her grandson, but that's not enough. I hate her and her stupid hair and nails.

• Love 2
42 minutes ago, Retired at last said:

I so agree, @CanaryFan98. Deborah Adair was the Kate I liked and even though she has been played by this actress FAR longer than she was by DA, I never liked her as Kate. I thought I was the only one who even remembered the first Kate! This Kate character is tacky, vile, cruel, back-stabbing and a liar with absolutely no redeeming values - OK, she loves her grandson, but that's not enough. I hate her and her stupid hair and nails.

No there are a lot of us that remember and prefer DA's version. Kate had her flaws but I at least understood how she got to the point she did and where she was coming from. She was grounded in reality and had redeemable qualities to her. I could also see why Marlena etc would be friends with her version as opposed to the current version of the character. 

I feel like she loves Will in name only after all she had no problems with the whole scheme of Leo setting Sonny up for sexual harrassment knowing how it would hurt Will. Same with her children who she has no problem throwing under the bus for her own personal benefit(I think Austin was an exception tbh).

LK's version just became a totally different character than the one I remembered actually liking at one point.

• Love 1
23 hours ago, msrachelj said:

I just don't get the same feeling watching this show anymore, except for a few days here and there , as I did many years ago. I don't know if it's the cast, the stories or just me. But I miss the old "days". 

I blame the budget cuts,    And I miss the old "days" as well.  

21 hours ago, CanaryFan98 said:

DA's version of Kate was my favorite tbh. She was more balanced as a character. I think LK is a good recast but somewhere along the way Kate just became a caricature and lost her purpose on the show to me a good 15 years ago.

I really liked DA's version of Kate too.  I also liked Austin, Billie and Lucas. 

Again, I'll say, I miss the old days.

• Love 4

This show lost its heart and soul a long time ago. When the bad guys became like everyone else and considered the sympathetic party it began the slow decline of this show(along with all the other soaps who adopted this mentality)

• Love 5

All caught up.  Character/Relationship thoughts:

Ciara: Such a brat! I'm glad Victor seem somewhat unconvinced.
Ben/Will:  Honestly, I'm enjoying these two together.  Will makes Ben more interesting.
Sonny/Evan: Evan feels sketchy.  Run away Sonny.
John: Doh! I thought you were a detective?  
Marlena: I generally don't like her smugness but she was right to toss 'Hope' out on her ear IMO.
Kate: WHY do you keep getting yourself involved with nefarious people doing evil shit.
Kate/Roman: LOVE this relationship.
Eli: I'm going to give you props for calling out Abi like that.
Abigail:  Abigail absolving herself due to mental illness is wrong on so many levels.
Kirstin/Lani: NEITHER could have been serious about being a sister by the way they are acting now.
Gabi: Three words for you: Swiss Bank Account.  Get one now.  Get you and Ari a "Go" bag, and get the hell out of Salem before you are discovered.  Of course you're evil these days, so I'm happy for you to be caught.  I just feel Ari has no chance whatsoever to be sane.
Princess Gina: Please fall in a hole.  I cannot take that accent much longer. 
Rafe:.... *snaps fingers* ... RAFE!  Wake up!  *shrugs as Rafe provides vacant look #72*

All I want for Christmas:
- Xarah; plus little Mickey to be okay
- Cruella-deHernandez to go ahead and get a white streak in her hair
- More truth bombs out of Eli.  He's got no f*cks to give these days. 

• Love 12
3 hours ago, CanaryFan98 said:

This show lost its heart and soul a long time ago. When the bad guys became like everyone else and considered the sympathetic party it began the slow decline of this show(along with all the other soaps who adopted this mentality)

Bridget on B&B was good girl who wasn’t a judgy asshole about it and had a strong sense of self, not a door mat to dudes, and she was career minded and smart (doctor who did on screen medical research and clinical trials) all whilst not being boring. She was a unicorn. Of course they tried to ruin her at the end of her run and then wrote her out, since Lawd knows we can’t have a kind woman with a brain on daytime. 

Reading the posts of the most recent page might be UO that I love Kate. I love her jokes, sense of style, and have had a fondness for her since ‘96 when she was giving Victor, Nicole, and Sami hell. I also liked for entertainment purposes how ruthless she was, this crazy bitch would literally try to disfigure or frame for a crime someone if they cheated on one of her sons or were an interloper on one of her relationship.  The actress also won my heart with her personality. In interviews she’s said some incredibly candid stuff that touched me. Just little things about being a mom or falling in love that were real and relatable. I suspect that’s why they keep her character on consistently (like Missy) that the show team really like the actors. 

😩 I’ve never saw the appeal but do now. Eli is sexy AF with Gabi and when giving Abigail or Chad shit. 

That Horton Square stuffed animal kiosk was something. I think it replaced the fake flowers one. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Petunia13 said:

Bridget on B&B was good girl who wasn’t a judgy asshole about it and had a strong sense of self, not a door mat to dudes, and she was career minded and smart (doctor who did on screen medical research and clinical trials) all whilst not being boring. She was a unicorn. Of course they tried to ruin her at the end of her run and then wrote her out, since Lawd knows we can’t have a kind woman with a brain on daytime. 

Reading the posts of the most recent page might be UO that I love Kate. I love her jokes, sense of style, and have had a fondness for her since ‘96 when she was giving Victor, Nicole, and Sami hell. I also liked for entertainment purposes how ruthless she was, this crazy bitch would literally try to disfigure or frame for a crime someone if they cheated on one of her sons or were an interloper on one of her relationship.  The actress also won my heart with her personality. In interviews she’s said some incredibly candid stuff that touched me. Just little things about being a mom or falling in love that were real and relatable. I suspect that’s why they keep her character on consistently (like Missy) that the show team really like the actors. 

😩 I’ve never saw the appeal but do now. Eli is sexy AF with Gabi and when giving Abigail or Chad shit. 

That Horton Square stuffed animal kiosk was something. I think it replaced the fake flowers one. 

I think Bridget worked best when Jennifer Finnegan was in the role her version of Bridget was interesting and likeable to me I didn't mind Agnes Brucker's version as a teen beyond that? Not so much. As you said eventually they end up making the good character self righteous etc. 

I really think the only reason they kept Kate all this time is because TPTB like Lauren Koslow anyone else they would've written her off the show a long time ago. I do like Kate tormenting Chloe and Sami as I hated both those characters but for me its that she has shown little growth and always skates on everything. Her role in Tate's kidnapping, Theo being shot etc are always glossed over and ignored. I find it absurd that Roman/Marlena could ever be friends with her after letting Sami go on death row among other things she has done. Will didn't even stay mad at her for very long either... 

Eli is a good looking man and is better off away from Lani but honestly he's as smug, hypocritical, and condescending as Eric and others are... he just doesn't get the airtime as others so its a lot less annoying in comparison.

Edited by CanaryFan98
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, CanaryFan98 said:

No there are a lot of us that remember and prefer DA's version. Kate had her flaws but I at least understood how she got to the point she did and where she was coming from. She was grounded in reality and had redeemable qualities to her. I could also see why Marlena etc would be friends with her version as opposed to the current version of the character. 

I wanted to chime in on the Deborah Adair love. I too loved her as Kate, complex sophisticated intelligent worldly mysterious luminous and beautiful. You never knew her real motives when she first came on the show. Was she using Victor for financial security and power or did she really love him.  She also adored Lucas so much. I can't see her version of Kate being Stefano's prostitute. It was demeaning. She was a doctor for God's sake, it was so contrived so that Sami could blackmail her into keeping quiet about her schemes against Austin and Carrie. 

Deborah's Kate also owned her sexuality without sleeping with every man. She was very close with Jack. She was not above being a cunning stone cold bitch like taking Billie's company away from her and having a child with Victor to cement her place in the Kiriakis family.

Edited by Pearson80
  • Love 3
15 minutes ago, Pearson80 said:

She was a doctor for God's sake, it was so contrived so that Sami could blackmail her into keeping quiet about her schemes against Austin and Carrie. 

Kate Roberts was not a doctor. I know many have this confused this Bill Horton did have a romance with a Dr. Kate Winograd (that I never saw), but it isn't the same character.

44 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

Kate Roberts was not a doctor. I know many have this confused this Bill Horton did have a romance with a Dr. Kate Winograd (that I never saw), but it isn't the same character.

It was implied early on that it was the same Kate. Supposedly Roberts was her married name when she had Lucas.

That said, somewhere along the line (probably different writers) things changed. It was never spoken about again...and as many have said, the character has definitely changed throughout the years.

• Love 3
On 12/20/2019 at 9:15 PM, BuckeyeLou said:

Some LOLs today:  Kate to Gina: "What are you a Princess of?! Hoboken?!" 🙂 and Abigail talking about Kristen & Lani "Are they the Sisters of Nympho Convicts"? 

Thats rich coming frOm a nymPho who Lusted after Carrie's husband and even lied to him about sleeping Together . 

She then went on to lust after EJ ,who was also married to Sami , and this time she managed to get her tArget to do the hOrizontal mambo with her. 

She then went on to have a relationship with Ben and this relationship had virtually no romance. It was sex all the way.

In the midst of her relationship with Ben ,she gOt her nympho powers turned on by Chad to the point where both she and Chad did the nasty outdoors right on the DiMera garden. I Felt so sorry for grass . 

She is a fine one to Trash other women as nymphos . She aint qualified to judge Them either. 

Edited by Rafael
  • Love 5
50 minutes ago, MsTree said:

It was implied early on that it was the same Kate. Supposedly Roberts was her married name when she had Lucas.

That said, somewhere along the line (probably different writers) things changed. It was never spoken about again...and as many have said, the character has definitely changed throughout the years.

Its very stupid though.they should just confirm this once and for all.

There were many instances where they could have done so.

Remember when Kate drugged both Sami and Brandon in 0rder to trick Lucas into walking in onthem in bed and assuming they slept together ? Her Acomplice was Eugenia Wilkens ,who wanted revenge on Sami for getting her fired from Salem Hospital.  

Anyway ,Eugenia could have easily asked Kate if she Knows what she is doing and Whether or nOt she is applying the right dosage ? 

Kate could have simply replied that she used tO be a anaestologist. 

She lost her licence after getting arrested during Police raid .

She can then reveal she was arrested because she was a Mob doctor with some guy treating DiMera and Vitale and other criminals who got caught up in turf wars or gun viOlence and so forth. 

Its that simple.

• Love 2
On 12/20/2019 at 10:03 PM, norcalgal said:

Wow - what a great blast from the past!  I always shipped Katerina/Lawrence because of the UST between the two actors, so I was beyond THRILLED when I realized the actors got married IRL.  I've never cared to look them up because it would break my heart to find out they separated/got divorced.  This is one of the few instances when an on-screen pairing's hotness matches their off-screen vibes.

I remenber being terrified ofthe possibility that they might turn Melanie into Bo and Carly's dAughter . 

For clarification. Kate Winnegred and Kate Roberts were "merged" into the same character. They sort of "dropped" the doctor history. They replaced it with Kate and Marlena being best friends as to how/why she was in Bill Horton's orbit at the hospital to begin the affair that produced Lucas.

For me, I love both Deborah and Lauren's versions of Kate. I don't necessarily look at them as two separate characters but more of differrent parts.

I think of Deborah's version as the idealized more positive/new life version of Kate. While Lauren's version makes a lot of sense considering Kate's past and trauma. 

Also remember Lauren's version was at the point that Kate's life was upended. She had just returned from the dead, found herself at war with Vivian, and found out her son had been drugged and raped. 

I think it's more of a stark contrast to compare the versions 20 plus years later but in the moment it wasn't as drastic. 

Now where I think they take Kate too far is that she doesn't have as much grounding as she used too. The writers lean in too much on one side with her. Roman is a great counter balance but not enough. 

• Love 4
On 12/20/2019 at 11:17 PM, Petunia13 said:

Yeah that didn’t sit well with me when she  said indignantly to Eli when he mentioned her equally problematic behavior “that was different, I was mentally ill.” 🖐 hold up. Did it ever occur to her Gabi has had trauma, depression, or ptsd? Or when she talks shit about Kristen, who I also dislike, but it’s pretty much indisputable that Kristen has an undiagnosed personality disorder. This show really cherry picks “okay this person over there (Abby or Ben) should face zero judgement or accountability for anything because mental issues.” But people who openly have mental or emotional issues like Kristen, Gabi, Claire, Jordan can be candid about their pain and still be called pieces of shit or mocked even by those who skated for the same excuses!

I wish I could like this post 1 million times. Very well said, and out of all of these people Gabi, Jordan, and sometimes Claire are the ones I always had the most sympathy for. The rest I couldn't give a fuck about if someone paid me. Oh well. 

Also, whenever I hear a characters weak excuse for the crappy thing they did I get a bit antsy but Abby took it to a whole other level, she made me want to vomit (ya know more than she usually does). Like bitch. Do you seriously think that having mental illness in any way, shape, or form excuses your wrong doings? I don't know who wrote those lines but I suspect that someone behind the scenes is one of those shitheads who think that them having a shitty childhood is the green light to screw up their own kids childhood with no accountability cos they had it "worse". No, Abitchgail having a mental illness does not absolve you from consequences which is why since your guilty ass avoided jail time Gabi got even with your bitch ass. Does she really think Gabi came @ out of the blue? Fuck off Abby. I legit wanted to throw hands with my own T.V after seeing that crap. Disgusting.

On 12/21/2019 at 8:59 AM, peachmangosteen said:

Lol I know right!! They can try to make Gabi evil all they want i'm not falling for it(I sorta feel bad for anyone who is) especially if the people she wronged are A)people that did her dirty first or B) people who have no room to judge her in any capacity. Also if Gabi gets her comeuppance Kristen, Abby, and Lani better not be far behind her, it better happen like dominoes in that order because I am not here for lopsided punishment/justice. No way no how. 

• Love 11

So Melinda moved to Chicago.  Why show, why?  Are we going to get a different DA?  It's not like the actress was on contract.  I don't see why they had to scuttle her out of town.  Unless she only went there for the holidays and no one though it'd be weird for JJ to join her on vacation.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
23 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

So Melinda moved to Chicago. 

I missed that.  Is that where JJ was supposed to be?

So I love, love, loved all the Deveraux scenes today.  Even with Abigail. It's just so nice to have a Mom and Dad, and their kids all in Salem at the same time. 

Felt bad for John and Abe having to spend so much time pondering how Stefano could be both not there, and kinda there.  LOL.

• Love 6
12 minutes ago, buffynut said:

I missed that.  Is that where JJ was supposed to be?

Jennifer got a text at the beginning of the show from JJ saying that he was out of touch because he was going to visit Haley's mom in Chicago as he didn't want Melinda to be alone.

I enjoyed the Deveraux scenes too.  There's something comforting about old fashioned Christmas ornaments. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
24 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Jennifer got a text at the beginning of the show from JJ saying that he was out of touch because he was going to visit Haley's mom in Chicago as he didn't want Melinda to be alone.

Thanks.  I missed the very beginning.

25 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

I enjoyed the Deveraux scenes too.  There's something comforting about old fashioned Christmas ornaments. 

I'm really looking forward to tomorrow's episode.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, Rafael said:

Thats rich coming frOm a nymPho who Lusted after Carrie's husband and even lied to him about sleeping Together . 

She then went on to lust after EJ ,who was also married to Sami , and this time she managed to get her tArget to do the hOrizontal mambo with her. 

She then went on to have a relationship with Ben and this relationship had virtually no romance. It was sex all the way.

In the midst of her relationship with Ben ,she gOt her nympho powers turned on by Chad to the point where both she and Chad did the nasty outdoors right on the DiMera garden. I Felt so sorry for grass . 

She is a fine one to Trash other women as nymphos . She aint qualified to judge Them either. 

EJ wasn't married to Sami at the time they were engaged though.  Regardless nobody in this town really has a place to judge anyone and yet they do.. Kate for one comes to mind.

6 hours ago, robh21223 said:

This show is dead to me now.

May I ask why?

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

So Melinda moved to Chicago.  Why show, why?  Are we going to get a different DA?  It's not like the actress was on contract.  I don't see why they had to scuttle her out of town.  Unless she only went there for the holidays and no one though it'd be weird for JJ to join her on vacation.

Maybe the actress got a much better gig? I think its unfortunate if they got rid of her because Haley is gone when she existed way before we knew she had a kid.

I think JJ was going to visit her because around this time Haley tried to kill herself and now she's gone probably didn't want her to be alone. Which I would find sweet but I wish Melinda's grief was actually shown... 

How JJ became an addict was as lame as I thought it would be.

That being said I did like their family moment the actors play well off each other I just wish they had better storylines(I wish that for all characters tbh)

• Love 6

I liked the Deveraux scenes, too, a lot.  

At first Abigail annoyed the hell out of me with how she talked to JJ when she confronted him and then how she blackmailed him into calling their parents.  It's one of her least attractive traits, thinking she knows what to do and then steamrolling over whoever is in her way to get them to do what she says.  BUT ...... but ..... then she quieted down and did her best not to be such a pain in the ass.  Jack and Jennifer and JJ were terrific together, though, really terrific.

One thing - when Jack and Jennifer opened the ornament box and Jennifer took out the ornaments for her and Jack and she said how sad she'd been having to hang these alone for all these past years I couldn't help but wonder what happened to Daniel's ornament.  Show sure had her smilin' through the pain while that asshole was still upright.  But I'll make Show a deal - you forget he existed and I will, too.

So John has to go to Chicago to see Paul, Paul won't come to Salem, huh?  Can't say as I blame him.

• Love 11

Today felt like a goodbye to the character of JJ. I have to imagine soon he’ll leave Salem to go to a rehab facility.  I’m glad he mentioned how he got addicted in the first place by punching a wall in rage and breaking his hand then getting opioids for the pain. He also really looked like an addict his face was both flushed and clammy and he sold his despair and shame very well. 

The scenes were touching, one nit pick was how Abby talked over him and her parents later, she’s very domineering. She’s like that with Chad too. It’s very authoritative. 

Gina/Hope seemed disgusted at the thought of bunking at Rafe’s. It was a funny throw away line she said about “...maybe Marlena wanted to be alone with John, can’t say I blame her” due to the dual meaning of a friend would see why her girl would want alone time with her hubby after a separation and during the holidays, but also that PG finds that prospect enviable. 

Kate really can’t stand Hope, Gina, or Kayla. 

Justin being Kayla’s white knight was both cute and corny. I mean he gave Kate the business and defended his woman but Kate was all like “whatever” and we all know Kate says and does whatever she wants. 

Random aside. It was a strange coincidence the Roman coming to Kate’s studio after a no call no show. I was going to post but didn’t get to it cuz the scene aired the next day.... as a server the apartments above restaurants are double edged swords. It’s above the job so no commute or driving, which saves gas and time, you don’t have to go out in the rain or snow, it’s easy to pick up shifts since you’re literally right there. But your boss is your landlord. You can’t call off without them knowing why and they see all your business. If someone calls off or quits they’d be hammering the door for you. And if you quit you’d have to find a new home prior as well as that job. For these reasons, every restaurant I’ve known that had apartments above never had servers living in them it was owners kids or vacant for the owners to crash in they got too drunk to drive after work and after they slept it off, showered and bopped downstairs.

• Love 4

I enjoyed the Deveraux scenes (except for Abs being domineering over JJ). Nice to see some family. JJ's addiction is pretty normal these days - pain meds turn in to opiods. It's timely and it probably could have made for a meatier story.

Rafe, do you really want Hope at your house? Is your Spidey sense all a-tingle in that something is off with her and if you can get some time alone with her you might figure it out? I am also amazed that Salem folks have so much disposable income that they can buy a plane ticket to some expensive place within minutes and fly out the same day. You'd think they'd get a little commuter plane to the bigger O'Hare Airport in Chicago.  Since the show is now a year ahead, there would be no mention of the current unrest in Hong Kong and so it would not be a good place to visit.

Kate's explanation of why she had Stefano's ring was plausible. However, why would she have it out on her table/dresser? If Steffy looked at his Queen of the Night, she would only see Steve Johnson with two eyes.

John and Abe trying to figure out Celeste's message? LOL.  Lucky Abe to get to go to South Africa to be with fully recovered Theo.

The Horton Christmas tree has finally appeared and there is not a fake needle on the carpet!

• Love 5
On 12/21/2019 at 9:53 AM, CanaryFan98 said:

I agree I never needed JJ in a pairing to like him or find him appealing to watch but on this show unless you're are favored by the writers/TPTB on this show like Gabi, Brady, Kate are who can still be on the show despite not having a hit pairing(although Gabi has Stefan I guess).   A character has to be in a hit pairing for the show to bother with them. I can think of a ton of stories for JJ the show can't because they don't care.

The show doesn't see Casey Moss as leading man material or view JJ the same way for that matter and nothing is going to change that so I rather JJ be written out and Casey find a much better gig I can enjoy him in. It will NEVER get better for him.

In fairness, Days has always been couple obsessed, far more so than most of the other soaps. They've always kinda been about pairings and the stories of those romances. Which can be good, at least they care about the romance part of daytime, while some shows never cared enough. But they've never really given any characters stories that didn't somehow tie back in, to whoever they were with, or wanted to be with.

Even now, even if I agree that Brady and Kate are two that flounder in pairings but get airtime...I don't think Kate has has a SL that was truly about her as a woman without a man, just dealing with issues and life...in years, if ever. The last one that comes to mind was her revelations about her past as a prostitute, and I think Deborah Adair played most of that, that's how long ago that was. LK isn't given much to do and hasn't been given much in terms of meaty scenes, in years.

But I could be forgetting some other plot point Kate was given? Didn't she have cancer for about five minutes, or something ? Otherwise it's been her in a romance, or meddling in the lives of her children. Not exactly great material.

Same with Brady. Eric M gets good scenes with GV in the brotherly angst stuff, but he hasn't had a true storyline about himself since the height of the addiction SL.

Gabi, eh. Gabi is young and pretty and I think the show thinks they just have to strut her around and we'll forget she's not doing much. I like her better than Abby, but I think she's kind of one note and irritating most of the time. I'm supposed to see her as some great schemer, but I have never truly bought it. Still,  I see Gabi as a better match for Chad than Abs, though.

Edited by IWantCandy71
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, boes said:

So John has to go to Chicago to see Paul, Paul won't come to Salem, huh?  Can't say as I blame him.

Why isn't Marlena going with John to Chicago?

Eric is in Boston. Sami and her family are in Italy. Belle is either in NYC or Hong Kong. Will is in prison.

If she isn't going to spend Christmas with any of her children/grandchildren, there is no reason that she can't go with her husband after spending months away from him after missing him so much.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
15 minutes ago, nilyank said:

Why isn't Marlena going with John to Chicago?

Eric is in Boston. Sami and her family are in Italy. Belle is either in NYC or Hong Kong. Will is in prison.

If she isn't going to spend Christmas with any of her children/grandchildren, there is no reason that she can't go with her husband after spending months away from him after missing him so much.

Wednesday episode spoiler - please don't open if you don't want to know what happens ahead of time:

She's going to visit Will this Christmas. I'm going to completely ignore the other people who are supposed to be in the room during that visit, but this is the first time we'll actually get to see her with Will since he's been in prison.

• Love 3
51 minutes ago, IWantCandy71 said:

In fairness, Days has always been couple obsessed, far more so than most of the other soaps. They've always kinda been about pairings and the stories of those romances. Which can be good, at least they care about the romance part of daytime, while some shows never cared enough. But they've never really given any characters stories that didn't somehow tie back in, to whoever they were with, or wanted to be with.

Even now, even if I agree that Brady and Kate are two that flounder in pairings but get airtime...I don't think Kate has has a SL that was truly about her as a woman without a man, just dealing with issues and life...in years, if ever. The last one that comes to mind was her revelations about her past as a prostitute, and I think Deborah Adair played most of that, that's how long ago that was. LK isn't given much to do and hasn't been given much in terms of meaty scenes, in years.

But I could be forgetting some other plot point Kate was given? Didn't she have cancer for about five minutes, or something ? Otherwise it's been her in a romance, or meddling in the lives of her children. Not exactly great material.

Same with Brady. Eric M gets good scenes with GV in the brotherly angst stuff, but he hasn't had a true storyline about himself since the height of the addiction SL.

Gabi, eh. Gabi is young and pretty and I think the show thinks they just have to strut her around and we'll forget she's not doing much. I like her better than Abby, but I think she's kind of one note and irritating most of the time. I'm supposed to see her as some great schemer, but I have never truly bought it. Still,  I see Gabi as a better match for Chad than Abs, though.

Back then it worked because characters weren't so one dimensional and they wrote relationships with depth and emotion to go with real romance. 

None of that exists in today's soap and its glaring.

Its fine when both characters stick around but when one leaves the other is left to flounder with no real storyline or direction(see Hope post Bo) Sure Hope could've worked with Aiden and she did IMO but the show instead paired her with Rafe and ruined Aiden then it just went downhill for the character.

I don't care for Gabi or Abby but she works better as a bitch than a heroine they tried to paint her as.

They should focus on characters as individuals so they can exist in multiple pairings and storylines. This would also lead to a better show as characters etc won't be so limited.

Spoiler

Yes I felt this was a goodbye to JJ but he'll still air till Feb and honestly its for the best they don't know what to do with the character but most importantly they really don't care either. I really hope Casey finds a way better gig he's talented enough to have a career well beyond daytime which is already on death's door.

• Love 3
46 minutes ago, CanaryFan98 said:

Back then it worked because characters weren't so one dimensional and they wrote relationships with depth and emotion to go with real romance. 

None of that exists in today's soap and its glaring.

IDK. Even though I can't say I dislike someone like Kayla for instance, I'm hard pressed to call her (as an example) a complex character, and she's been a solid presence off and on since the early/mid eighties. Steve, much more so in terms of complexities.

But that could be another issue of why so many stories are focused on pairings, and why so many of them flounder. There is always a  gap, IMO-in how complex and interesting one part of the pairing is, as compared to the other. And when one half leaves, especially if the actor leaving played the more interesting character...(again, as in Steve and Kayla), then you've basically got a performer that the writers don't know what to do with.  I think one of the biggest reasons Days had hit couple after hit couple in the 80s and 90s, was because it was the era of the Super Couple. People were even calling April Ramirez and Mike Horton a super couple. And they weren't. Neither were Billie and Bo. But then, I hate tagging a couple with that albatross of a label, "super couple". The point being, it was a craze, a fad. If a couple had fervent fans, those fans called their couple a "super" one. Even if they were in reality, anything but (people even shipped Nick Corelli and Eve Donavan. I mean ! )

And that made Days far more about couplings than anything else, and I'm not sure it's ever fully recovered from that. Kind of how many viewers mistakenly tabbed GH as "being all about the mob" just because of Frank Smith. And it too, has never fully recovered from that, to this day.

I will say, I think the writing overall, on DOOL (and GH)  from what I've seen recently, is more about quick resolutions and quick hook ups and sudden inexplicable love. The "Slow burn" is gone, and that is a shame. Truly multi layered characters are few and far between. But IMO really good, layered characters have always been rare. I do think most soap characters are interchangeable. I can't be the only one who, in the midst of a story, thinks, "wait, didn't they just do this same story last year with this couple, or this same story on another show ?"  I think that's why our Victor Newmans and Stefano DiMeras and Erica Kanes stand out-because they are truly complex examples. They are the exception, not the rule, and this has always been the case. It's why they have maintained popularity for literally decades. Because the viewers know that these types of characters SHOULD be the norm, but they are not.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8

I didn't realize that John was going to be gone for any great period of time, so there would be no reason for Marlena to go. I got the impression that it would be a quick trip to see Paul and then he would be right back. Characters have often gone to Chicago and back in the some day.

Also, I thought it was very strange the way John kept touching, stroking, massaging Abe during their visit. I just don't think this is the real John - he is acting weird. Too animated and almost hyper. Unless Drake is just happy to still be employed, he just seems off to me.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
12 hours ago, boes said:

One thing - when Jack and Jennifer opened the ornament box and Jennifer took out the ornaments for her and Jack and she said how sad she'd been having to hang these alone for all these past years I couldn't help but wonder what happened to Daniel's ornament.  Show sure had her smilin' through the pain while that asshole was still upright.  But I'll make Show a deal - you forget he existed and I will, too.

I was wondering the same thing! I'd be fine if we were never reminded of Jennifer and Dr. Tan being a thing. I hated her then. In fact, it's only since Jack has been back that I am liking her again.

• Love 10