Type keyword(s) to search

Current Plots Discussion: Actually Today's Episode

Message added by scarynikki12

Spoilers are not allowed in this thread. Period. Any posts that include spoilers (and casting information qualifies) will be removed. There are several other threads that allow spoilers so take that discussion to one of them.

• Start Topic

Ben should have pulled out his phone and immediately started recording what was happening when he walked in.  I am not a Ben fan, at all.  But Hope, the Commish, is out of control and has been for a long time.

• Love 10
2 hours ago, howmanywords said:

Dear God! The 3 of them I wanted to bitchslap today. I realize this all being done for the Ben redemption saga but well yeah its working on me. You know its bad when I'm feeling sympathetic for a murderer and Marlena who I actually like I want to smack. Marlena actually admitting a patient missed med doses is such utter bullshit and in reality would never be tolerated.

Well...it's NOT working on me. Sorry, show! Ben. Is. A. Fucking. SERIAL. KILLER. I give ZERO FUCKS about his suffering. And making beloved characters turn to shit to prop his ass is what SUCKS.

The only thing I think he deserves is the "live by the sword, die by the sword" angle and have someone kill him.

If the show wanted this actor to remain, Ron and the rest of his merry hacks should have never had Ben murder people!

• Love 12

If I was dating a guy with Bens history my mom would break into his room too!

He just threatened Claire the other day.  I guess we are supposed to forget about it.  Just like Ben forgot to mention it to his doctor. 

• Love 10
11 hours ago, enchantingmonkey said:

How did those who are familiar with Genie Francis' incarnation of Diana Colville feel about Diana and John's scenes today?  Did it seem odd that John made no mention of a change in her personality, or at least that she seemed like a more cynical person?  

Although I have great affection for Judith, I wish it was Genie Francis back in this role. 

I think today was the first time I actually liked Claire - she stood her ground admirably. And I liked her dress. 

Otherwise, I'm getting kind of bored. I don't care about Ben and Ciara whatsoever, and Hope is ridiculous. I want Jack and Jenn scenes, and I want Chabby to have a satisfying sendoff. That's it, lol. 

• Love 5
10 hours ago, Frozendiva said:

Yes, Hope is worried about her daughter, but geez. The girl is probably around 21 years old and she can go wherever she likes after getting off a plane. There was no reason except Hope's obsession for going after Ben Weston.

A mother is never gonna care how old you are; of course she'll still worry. And the fact is, Ben murdered people and is now showing heavy signs of being unhealthily obsessed with Ciara. He missed doses of his meds. He doesn't even actually know how many he missed! And he just threatened Claire the day before. I don't think it's crazy for Hope, or anyone, to be worried that he could have taken Ciara. Did she go too far, of course, but to me it's completely understandable. Plus, it's so blatantly obvious that it's all being done to make us feel sorry for Ben, which makes me double down on not feeling sorry for him. Trashing other characters to build up one you don't want to really put the work in to redeem is such a cheap trick and I'm over it. But it's definitely working in this case for most people it seems, so I guess good for the writers lol.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

He missed doses of his meds. He doesn't even actually know how many he missed! And he just threatened Claire the day before. I don't think it's crazy for Hope, or anyone, to be worried that he could have taken Ciara.

Except Hope didn't know he missed meds or threatened Claire.  She simply knows Ciara did not contact her and immediately went in to "Ben kidnapped Ciara."  I get that you think Ben is irredeemable (I am assuming you also think Abby is irredeemable because she also killed/tried to kill people both before becoming and while mentally ill.)  I just think Hope is acting like a complete idiot.  The  over-dramatic begging of Marlena and immediately trashing Ben's room are completely ruining her character.  Yes WE know that Ciara is in danger but Hope does not.  Of course she is going to worry, but would any normal parent really go so over the top simply because she had not heard from her adult daughter in a few hours?  Most police forces won't even consider it until a person has been missing for at least 24 hours.

• Love 9

Those Chloe & Stefan vs the cartel members scenes were absolutely absurd. I get that Ron likes camp but those scenes were flat out bad, not even campy. And while it ties to a past story of Chloe's, it all still felt random to me. 

Tripp isn't a murderer but he is a killer, even if it was in defense of Ciara. I was glad to see even though Claire is ineblicably fixated on Tripp that she still took a moment to tell him about himself regarding why his relationship with Ciara ended. Also, I'm going to need Tripp to stop being so angry / butthurt considering he is the one who dumped Ciara and not vice versa. Regardless of Ciara's feelings for Ben at the time that she was deniying, she was going to stick with Tripp until he ended things. So he can miss me with his whining over how he was forced to frame Ben cause Ciara wouldn't listen to him and that he was just trying to protect her. 

10 hours ago, howmanywords said:

I realize this all being done for the Ben redemption saga but well yeah its working on me.

I wish this wasn't the route cause it cheapens things and isn't necessary... but nuance has never been Ron's strong suit with his stories. I found myself more annoyed by Marlena than Hope as Hope has been ridiculous for a while but I expected Marlena to be handle things better but she just folded so easily when did not have to. Not to mention, who is Ted and why is he there to insert himself into things (I know it's to impress but Hope but it was so infuriating to watch him be just like Rafe when he wasn't needed)

33 minutes ago, DaphneCat said:

I just think Hope is acting like a complete idiot.  The  over-dramatic begging of Marlena and immediately trashing Ben's room are completely ruining her character.  Yes WE know that Ciara is in danger but Hope does not.  Of course she is going to worry, but would any normal parent really go so over the top simply because she had not heard from her adult daughter in a few hours?  Most police forces won't even consider it until a person has been missing for at least 24 hours.

This is pretty much where I am. She went from calm to OTT ridiculous in 10 seconds cause Ciara didn't check in with her immediately. She stopped doing her job - if she even really does her job with all her following Ciara and harassing Ben all the time. Ciara is over 18 but Hope acts like she's 6 years old and she just went into full meltdown based on the barest scraps that there was even something "wrong." She's a police commissioner who should be able to hold it together in times of uncertainty and crisis. Instead she was pleading, making up shit, breaking in to rooms, harassing, abusing her authority to have cops do her personal work by finding Ben / his room. This all really needs to end with Hope losing her job. Hope is absolutely terrible at her job and at this point I wish the show would have Melinda follow Hope around to remind her about how terrible she is as Commissioner. I also want to know what proof Abe has that Hope is fantastic at her job cause when he says it to Melinda, I dismiss it as him bluffing in loyalty to a good friend. I want to see receipts! 

• Love 7
8 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Well...it's NOT working on me. Sorry, show! Ben. Is. A. Fucking. SERIAL. KILLER. I give ZERO FUCKS about his suffering. And making beloved characters turn to shit to prop his ass is what SUCKS

Ted is not beloved, is he? And Hope was sucking LONG before Ben started dating Ciara. Hope hasn't been right since before Bo died. Marlena's behavior is the one that confounded me but I think the show was trying to make it that she was putting her compassion for Hope first, which is right up Marlena's alley to do. 

• Love 4
9 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Well...it's NOT working on me. Sorry, show! Ben. Is. A. Fucking. SERIAL. KILLER. I give ZERO FUCKS about his suffering. And making beloved characters turn to shit to prop his ass is what SUCKS.

The only thing I think he deserves is the "live by the sword, die by the sword" angle and have someone kill him.

If the show wanted this actor to remain, Ron and the rest of his merry hacks should have never had Ben murder people!

giphy.gif

In fairness on the part in bold, it was a previous regime that made Ben a serial killer. Ron's regime, despite knowing all that, made the bullshit decision to bring him back. So we have a couple different sets of writers to thank for this madness. ;)

• Love 5

Abigail worked really hard to overcome her DID?

...I'm gonna need to see some receipts.  Because a vacay with Grandma for two weeks with zero follow-up care is not it.  Even Ben, we heard, has a standing appointment with Marlena.

• Love 17
18 hours ago, enchantingmonkey said:

How did those who are familiar with Genie Francis' incarnation of Diana Colville feel about Diana and John's scenes today?  Did it seem odd that John made no mention of a change in her personality, or at least that she seemed like a more cynical person?  

I don't have a great memory of Diana and Ro-John, but I do remember liking them as a couple.  It's too bad they couldn't have gotten Genie Francis back, as it would have been a really cool reunion for the characters, and actors. And flashbacks would have been neat, to see how they've changed over the years.  JC is doing an OK job, but I can't reconcile her as Diana anymore than I can KD as Eve.  Both seem like totally new characters to me.

So, today was kinda boring.  You know the saying "be careful what you wish for", well watching Ted follow Hope around like a puppy dog is worse, yes worse, than Rafe.  At least Rafe is a cop. I'll be sooooooooo glad once Hope's obsession with Ben is over.  I get that she's worried about her daughter, but it's really gotten tiring now.

So once again, cops are called off duty to come to a crime scene.  Eli and Lani "were" off duty, right?

I don't normally have a problem with Julie, but her scenes with Abigail were "blah".

Chloe and Stefan?  Yeah, whatever.

I liked Jordan before, so turning her crazy isn't sitting well with me.  And all I could think of with Ciara tied there was, what if she needs to use the bathroom. LOL.

So... This is February sweeps, right. Hopefully things pick up, as I don't think "boring" should be the definition of a sweeps month show.  Then maybe it's just me.

Edited by buffynut
  • Love 9
4 hours ago, Chick2Chic said:

Ted is not beloved, is he? And Hope was sucking LONG before Ben started dating Ciara. Hope hasn't been right since before Bo died. Marlena's behavior is the one that confounded me but I think the show was trying to make it that she was putting her compassion for Hope first, which is right up Marlena's alley to do. 

Ted? No. But whether Hope and the rest started sucking before Ben is subjective (as are the characters being beloved, too!). Maybe I just should have said long-time characters. Either way, they are being forced to take hits to salvage a character that is past his expiration date. Once a character kills - unless it is self defense - they should pay. Because soaps used to be about payoff and consequences.

• Love 6
34 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

Once a character kills - unless it is self defense - they should pay. Because soaps used to be about payoff and consequences.

I get it.

TBF, Ben actually did go to prison so there was  payoff / punishment / consequence there even if he was released from incarceration after a couple of years on a technicality.  So he did not get off scot-free like some others have in Salem who have killed. There's also a list of people on Days who've killed - personally or ordered it - and have tried to kill - personally or ordered - that have not suffered any or close to no punishment or consequences so it's not something unique to him (even though he did suffer consequences).

I think soaps try to do payoffs still, with varying success, but the consequences to choices thing sailed a long time ago for the most part cause look how many characters on Days aside from Ben do or have done shitty things and no one cares or it's a double standard thing where folks only care if one person does something wrong but not another person. It's not solely an issue on Days as I think pretty much every soap has this problem on some level. 

Meanwhile, Abby stated today that she worked hard to overcome her DID and I need to know when this happened? It certainly didn't happen onscreen but I don't recall it happening offscreen either other than her 2 week tune up with Laura. She also doesn't seem to see a shrink on a regular basis. And I doubt she's taken meds cause she's been pregnant and breastfeeding for the most part since the DID showed up.   ???

• Love 11
6 hours ago, DaphneCat said:

Of course she is going to worry, but would any normal parent really go so over the top simply because she had not heard from her adult daughter in a few hours?  

If they knew their daughter was involved with a serial killer, yea probably.

4 hours ago, TeeVee329 said:

Jordan's hair is looking crazy good (see what I did there....).

Yes. She all-around looks great. I'm obsessed with the shirt she's wearing. Her voice is kind of annoying me though. This is my first time seeing her. Too bad it's to see her thrown utb for Ben.

What a boring episode. I fast forwared through probably 3/4 of it and what I did watch was also bad lol.

Even in fast forward Lani's hair looked so bad. Just so bad. 

RSW is doing a good job lately, so at least there's that in this horrible story.

• Love 4

I think for me the worst part is the way the showed how cold and brutal Bens murders were.  Also always find it strange that women are attracted to those men. 

My feelings on Ben have nothing to due with Abigail   

• Love 5

Here's how I draw the distinction. I can enjoy an unapologetic villain with whom the show aren't attempting to romanticize. Xander and Leo are perfect examples of that. They are the campy and fun villains who get away with things because the writers clearly don't intend to make them sympathetic. I am totally fine with it. However, if TPTBs decides to borrow an old-school concept from classical soap playbook and use it to prop up a bad guy and his romance at the expense of good guys and without sufficient steps, then that's something I have a problem with.  

Edited by sweetautumn
fixing
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, Chick2Chic said:

I get it.

TBF, Ben actually did go to prison so there was  payoff / punishment / consequence there even if he was released from incarceration after a couple of years on a technicality.  So he did not get off scot-free like some others have in Salem who have killed. There's also a list of people on Days who've killed - personally or ordered it - and have tried to kill - personally or ordered - that have not suffered any or close to no punishment or consequences so it's not something unique to him (even though he did suffer consequences).

I think soaps try to do payoffs still, with varying success, but the consequences to choices thing sailed a long time ago for the most part cause look how many characters on Days aside from Ben do or have done shitty things and no one cares or it's a double standard thing where folks only care if one person does something wrong but not another person. It's not solely an issue on Days as I think pretty much every soap has this problem on some level. 

Meanwhile, Abby stated today that she worked hard to overcome her DID and I need to know when this happened? It certainly didn't happen onscreen but I don't recall it happening offscreen either other than her 2 week tune up with Laura. She also doesn't seem to see a shrink on a regular basis. And I doubt she's taken meds cause she's been pregnant and breastfeeding for the most part since the DID showed up.   ???

Kayla mentioned to Stefan when he wanted Abby's medical records that they were monitoring her medication while she was pregnant.

• Love 2

Lani's hair looks like it is receding. You'd think she and Eli would grab a fast shower before leaving. Eww.

The whole El Fideo/Mateo thing seems so random. No pattern of threats. Just the knife showing up and then the two hapless goons.

Poor Stefan getting shot - works nicely in to a new romance with Chloe, maybe.

The kids are off with Grandma again. At least Eric would be home with Holly.

Julie and very dark haired Abs? Yes, go run away with Chad. You just want him to dance to your tune. I too am waiting to see what Abs does to preserve her mental health - no monthly psych appointments, no checks for integration, no meds, no nothing. Just the two weeks with Grandma putting her back together like Humpty Dumpty. Not defending Ben, but he served prison time, got himself mentally healthyish, still gets psychiatric care, is on medication, probably has to report to others, etc. Not getting any sort of job while Abs seems to sit at home and does not much, no real contribution to anything except watching TV.

Hope, give it a rest. You have zero on Ben, and he told you openly that he has no idea where your daughter is. Goading him because you know you are right is wrong.

Jordan came off a little unhinged with Ciara. Wonder if she disguised herself as her brother when she kidnapped her from the parking lot. And for an airport parking lot, you'd think there would be other people going to their vehicles so someone would have noticed. And how does Ciara go to the bathroom?

• Love 8
22 hours ago, bannana said:

Right, that was attempted murder.  So he is not a murderer, but he is an almost murderer.  Which is also not great.

Yes and a crime against Kayla weighted. 

4 hours ago, tribeca said:

I think for me the worst part is the way the showed how cold and brutal Bens murders were.  Also always find it strange that women are attracted to those men. 

He “killed” Will who is show royalty. My meh feelings on the character lately aside,  he IS Sami and Lucas son and I fucking love them and is Marlena’s grandson.

He also killed Paige brutally and, I’m sorry he had dad issues and abuse, but like who the hell on this show hasn’t had upheaval or shitty parenting or traumatic childhoods? 🙄  

Jordan/Chrishell Stause looks beautiful but believe it or not she used to be even more stunning. I think she’s gotten fillers and botox which make her look a bit more tense and severe. Still a 10 but a few years ago it was like “ugh” ridiculous. Her name comes from the doctor who delivered her and where her mom went into labor: Chris and a Shell gas station and her family was homeless for a few years. This story is dumb. If I was Ciara I would have went crazy. 

Ben is giving me the creeps. Ted and Chad are handsome, but being dickheads right now. I have nevvver cared about Lani or Eli. Snoresville. Bring back a damn Brandon recast or Lexie for the dead and Celeste step child or some shit. Have them all mix it up with Abe and the Hortons. 

• Love 7

However, if TPTBs decides to borrow an old-school concept from classical soap playbook and use it to prop up a bad guy and his romance at the expense of good guys and without sufficient steps, then that's something I have a problem with.  

But Ben started out as a "good guy".  I really liked his character.   Growing up with Clyde and his experience with lying and cheating Abigail led him down the path to become a monster.  I still resent Abigail for acting like she had no part in Ben's mental decline, at least that's what I remember.  That's why I am rooting so hard for Ben.  I really want him to redeem himself.  I always hate when a lovable character is all of a sudden changed into something vile and dirty.  Ben, Aiden and Chase are all characters that I loved that the writers thoroughly trashed.  

Edited by A.J.
typos
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, tribeca said:

I thoroughly agree with this. We literally saw Will's "death" through his own eyes. As in, saw the light fading out of his eyes. We then saw it for a second time when Ben re-strangled him (thanks Sami). That's a huge reason, knowing he strangled two women to death the way we saw Will "die" and knowing he shot another point blank, why I can't get behind the idea that he could be redeemed. They made it as graphic and real as possible. So I just roll my eyes at all these attempts to make him seem sympathetic.

• Love 4

Another viewpoint of mine... There's also a distinction among self-defense, manslaughter, massacure and violent crime/homicide by mentally ill. In other words, who/how/when one kills somebody does matter. If one specifically target females or children or elderly simply for no reasons other than being unable to control one's urge to murder, then something's seriously wrong with the person.  Sure I've heard the argument that the said person is mentally ill but so are those people who committed hideous crimes.  

Edited by sweetautumn
fixing
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, janeyjay said:

As God is my witness, I never need to hear Julie talking about Netflix and chilling for the rest of my life.

I know we had Ben Ollie and his anguished denial of wrong-doing, Ciara and her anguished wrenching of the wrists being tied in that toasty bed, Chloe's totally realistic screaming and screeching - 

giphy.gif

ohthehorrorofitall,

Jordan's Return to Salem's Lot to take the fall for and prop up Ciara and Ben's Undead Love, 

but what I really want to know is, 

WHY does nobody EVER kidnap Julie?  I promise I'll buy them a gag on Amazon and spring for next day delivery.  And I bet Doug would chip in.

Bullshit on him "falling asleep".  That poor man just couldn't bear the thought of it.

• Love 11
2 hours ago, Frozendiva said:

And how does Ciara go to the bathroom?

Nobody on soaps ever goes to the bathroom.  They spend several days in captivity and their clothes are always clean and pressed.  They also wake up with perfect hair, full make-up and no morning breath.  Also, immediately after giving birth they are all incredibly skinny.  Sami is the only character I remember actually LOOKING like she had been through hell.

• Love 15

Haha, @boes!

I know not many will agree with me, but I did see Marci's Abigail suffer greatly over her DID. We didn't witness her recovery and an admittedly brief stay with Gramma, but I think the show made it clear that this was extremely difficult for her, especially over the damage it caused her little family.

Anyway -- I can't believe this is sweeps. I'm FF'ing through too much for February. Watching Hope flounder around and accuse Ben with Ted inexplicably in tow is ridiculous. Eli and Lani are boring, I have absolutely no investment in their relationship. But I liked Lani's jacket. 

Ho hum....hoping today's a good one. 

• Love 7
10 hours ago, Frozendiva said:

At least Eric would be home with Holly.

I doubt it. No one ever spends any time with their kids lol. It's just the nature of soaps.

9 hours ago, A.J. said:

But Ben started out as a "good guy".  I really liked his character ... I always hate when a lovable character is all of a sudden changed into something vile and dirty.  Ben, Aiden and Chase are all characters that I loved that the writers thoroughly trashed.  

And now characters are being trashed to prop Ben. It's the circle of soaps I guess lol.

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 8

I would put Aiden and Chase on another level - they had a narrative direction that was firmly established and then totally scrapped in order to prop up Bo's brief return. With Ben, he was kind of aimless until they settled on a direction for him as the necktie killer. It's not like they had great plans for Ben that were well underway. Maybe the writers originally had a different long-term plan, but I don't remember any indication of where Ben was heading as a character when Abigail and Chad started to get involved again.

....and now that you bring up Aiden, I'm even more infuriated by Ben's current redemption storyline, because that's what we were promised in a way when Aiden first returned and was exonerated from attempting to kill Hope. And then they doubled down and trashed him anyways all over again!

The only reason RSW is getting this special treatment is because he's young and used to be a model. I hate that. I'm not saying he has no acting talent, but Daniel Cosgrove was a seasoned actor with much more than just good looks going for him. The way this show, and others, gives millions of chances to people they think the audience will find "hot" instead of people the audience will find compelling and entertaining and skilled just drives me crazy. It's why we have so many dead weight performers on the show now, like Sal.

Is it just me, or was there a higher standard applied to even the eye candy actors back in the 90s?

Edited by DisneyBoy
  • Love 10

I seem to recall reading that Diedre Hall went to bat for RSW and that she said once after filming scenes with him "get this kid a contract". There are tons of hot former models that are in casting offices they could bring on as a leading man if that's all the show was looking at.

• Love 2
35 minutes ago, howmanywords said:

I seem to recall reading that Diedre Hall went to bat for RSW and that she said once after filming scenes with him "get this kid a contract". There are tons of hot former models that are in casting offices they could bring on as a leading man if that's all the show was looking at.

I don't think that Deidre has any sway anymore. She was against Chandler getting fired and went to bat for him and Ken Corday did not listen to her. Plus, she was the one that ruined Drake's Roman so that Wayne could come back as Roman and we got the endless John backstories for years that weakened John as a character. Look at Roman now, he is pathetic.  Drake is not the greatest actor, but, he was awesome as Roman Brady...

• Love 9
17 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

Yes. She all-around looks great. I'm obsessed with the shirt she's wearing. Her voice is kind of annoying me though. This is my first time seeing her (Jordan/Chrishell Hartley).

@peachmangosteen, did you not watch AMC?  That surprises me a tad.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Lastwaltz said:

I know not many will agree with me, but I did see Marci's Abigail suffer greatly over her DID. We didn't witness her recovery and an admittedly brief stay with Gramma, but I think the show made it clear that this was extremely difficult for her, especially over the damage it caused her little family.

While I think MM brought a bit more believability to the story, IMO you don't heal from DID in 2 weeks. And that's the sticking point for me along with not actually seeing her go through the steps to get better. She was just shipped off with grandma and came back 100% ok in two weeks. That's not really working hard and it's undermined that it pretty much all happened offscreen. I also think there's a difference in struggling with what you've done and struggling to heal. Though I don't buy any of Abby's "struggles," this suffers from a lot of tell and not showing. We saw more of what she did to other than what she did to supposedly heal herself. 

I am still 100% indifferent to Elani but I can't help but think of how shortchanged they were in yesterday's ep. We see them in the afterglow throwing out exposition instead of the show giving viewers the story to see firsthand. It's just all so empty. I still don't see any chemistry there but now I just feel sorry for them cause TPTB obviously don't care enough to give them their own story so these random scenes every few weeks have no heart IMO. There should have been a story build-up to the "I love you" exchange but there's been nothing. And I still don't buy it. Like why do they love each other and when did it happen? Lani spent more time wanting JJ and to have a life with him. Elani seems like it is going through the motions without any substance despite the actors (well, LA more than SS) giving it their all to sell it. 

I cringed when Jordan showed up at Jen's door and Abby answered. I have a feeling if Jordan & Abby are on today, I am going to hate every single moment of it cause I truly despise the narrative the show tries so hard to push regarding Abby. 

• Love 5

@Chick2Chic - I totally get you re the show telling us things happened and not showing them when it comes to Abigail's recovery (and Elani!). More viewers would be invested in Abigail's saga if we'd seen her do the hard work in therapy. I think I'm defensive about Abigail, lol -- what I mean to convey is that I certainly saw her suffering. But it doesn't help the narrative when the actresses switch in the middle.  

• Love 2
3 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

And now characters are being trashed to prop Ben. It's the circle of soaps I guess lol.

I still don't buy this cause he's not being called a good guy. No one has changed their opinion of him. They still think he's dangerous and constantly bring up his history. He's still being treated like trash by everyone in town except Ciara and Marlena (and maybe Stefan). So how is Ben benefiting if he's being propped? This is not like what happens with Abby or Rafe where their sins are washed away while everyone has to constantly state that they are either a victim of someone else and/or amazingly awesome so that they benefit from that pushed narrative but obviously mileage varies. 

So Marlena says today that she broke confidentiality because she can if she believes a crime was committed. But yesterday she said she didn't believe he committed a crime against Ciara. So the writing is a big ole mess today. 

Tripp stays butthurt that Ciara didn't want him after all cause he's unnecessarily petty, esp considering he is the one who dumped Ciara. 

• Love 6
47 minutes ago, Lastwaltz said:

@Chick2Chic - I totally get you re the show telling us things happened and not showing them when it comes to Abigail's recovery (and Elani!). More viewers would be invested in Abigail's saga if we'd seen her do the hard work in therapy. I think I'm defensive about Abigail, lol -- what I mean to convey is that I certainly saw her suffering. But it doesn't help the narrative when the actresses switch in the middle.  

I don't think the show could ever get me on Abby's side. I just despise the writing for her too much and only thawed a bit when MM was in the role. I loathe KM's portrayal of Abby. 

That aside, I don't think the actress switch impacted things cause the story is still muddy in that we saw nothing of Abby's recovery so I would scoff even if it was MM saying that. Abby should still be struggling with integration and seeing a shrink, not kicking up her feet and taking up space at Jen's house. Days showed Abby initially suffering [supposedly] in knowing she hurt others but nothing about her fight back to sanity and integration. DID isn't a STI that heals have a couple of weeks. Abby came back after 2 weeks fully healed from a dissociative disorder and then used that same disorder to set up Stefan months later with no struggle. It's all just a joke when it comes to the show writing Abby's mental illness cause they let her do terrible things when sick but we don't get to see her work on getting better. She's just insta-cured and then gets insulted if someone bring up her history of being ill (cause let's not forget how insulted she was that Ciara reminded Abby of it or her family when they didn't believe her when Gabi set her up). The show twists her staying healthy into entitlement, IMO 

Ugh at Abby & Jordan today. "Abby said she saw the cold look in Ben’s face and she thought he would take Charlotte." The reaching there! Ben ain't thinking about Abby and hasn't sought her out to be in her life but she stays telling people he's after her. I want Abby to drive off a cliff cause she so ridiculously self-centered. All that stuff that happened with Thomas, Abby & Chad is tied back to the actual history where Ben flipped out over Abby lying & cheating and thinking Thomas was his son but Days keeps omitting that part of history every time. I don't understand why it can't ever be mentioned in present day dialogue. It's a fact. (And no, it doesn't make what Ben did right in any way. I am saying that it did happen and is part of what triggered his rampage but the show is insistent that Abby never did anything shady in her history with Ben and he just flipped for no reason at all which is totally disingenuous)  

I am so disappointed in Jordan's return.

Edited by Chick2Chic
added something
  • Love 9

I really do kinda like Rex and Sarah.  Their drama, trying to find their groove again as a couple, feels, I dunno, more real versus some of the zanier soap stuff going on around them.  And I enjoy how miserable their going at it is making Eric because he's being a real pill.

So there's the out for Will/Sonny.  Leo succeeding in murdering someone - yet another abusive father - trumps unsuccessfully murdering someone as far as blackmail goes.  Just not feeling this whole Diana/Leo thing at all.

John having to explain to Roman about a woman he dated when he thought he was Roman was kinda funny.

Jordan must be crazy now, having sought out Abigail's company on purpose.

• Love 4

I don't understand why it's not OK for Chloe to go to work.  Of course she has to have someone with her small children when she is at her job, which is an evening/night job.  I imagine she has a regular sitter, and Nancy had to fill in for whatever reason when Chloe went to work, which was why she was apologizing when she was on the phone with her.  

Honestly, we only ever see Chloe at work these days, so either she's going to take her kids to a club at night or she's going to have someone else watching them.

And Eric wouldn't take Holly to the pub for every shift either I would hope.

• Love 4

I really enjoyed the Leo (Matthew)/Diana scenes today, especially the reveal that he grew up in an emotionally and physically abusive home and that Diana still defends her husband speaks volumes as to the kind of mother she was to him growing up.  No wonder he hates her as deeply as he does.  I kind of want Leo to walk away from the Sonny/Will situation slightly redeemed but able to come back to scheme again :)

Love Abby's revisionist history of her relationship with Ben, especially when she implies that he is the reason she was put in the loony bin two times--not that she has mental problems herself but that Ben's abuse put her there.  And Jordan's sitting there eating it up with a spoon.  Idiots, the lot of them.

I also love that Ben went straight to Marlena and told her off for breaking his confidence--of course he looks unhinged as her rants at her, but she still had no business talking to Hope about her and Ben's conversation.  I do like it when people face consequences for their bad actions.

• Love 12

Diana married to an abusive man and still defend him? WTH is Ron doing? I understand the shift in her personality but not this level of change. Like I said before, I just couldn't picture Diana as someone who tolerates abuse.

• Love 7
28 minutes ago, sweetautumn said:

Diana married to an abusive man and still defend him? WTH is Ron doing? I understand the shift in her personality but not this level of change. Like I said before, I just couldn't picture Diana as someone who tolerates abuse.

That's awful for just that reason alone, but it's bad enough that they are casting Y&R's Gloria and Kevin and also recycling their storyline (Kevin was abused by his father, Terrible Tom) and Gloria didn't do anything about it. That was a very powerful storyline (I still remember when Kevin was nearly beaten to death while in prison and older half-brother Michael hovered nearby at his side in the ER and he flatlined and Michael, who had been Kevin's protector until he couldn't take it anymore, recalled their childhood, with Tom beating him and him screaming for "Mikey!").

It cheapens that storyline and domestic abuse as a whole to go this route.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, kitmerlot1213 said:

I also love that Ben went straight to Marlena and told her off for breaking his confidence--of course he looks unhinged as her rants at her, but she still had no business talking to Hope about her and Ben's conversation.  I do like it when people face consequences for their bad actions.

The writing for this is bizarre too. Marlena says she broke Ben's confidentiality because of a possible crime but then doesn't believe he committed a crime? Say what? And what evidence was presented that a crime was committed? SMH. So many plot holes.

Ciara's only been missing for a few hours at this point, yes? So when did Ben have time to take her and stash her somewhere? When he was in a session with Marlena? Has anyone checked times at all?

Edited by Chick2Chic
weird board error duplicated my comment
  • Love 10
2 hours ago, Chick2Chic said:

I don't think the show could ever get me on Abby's side. I just despise the writing for her too much and only thawed a bit when MM was in the role. I loathe KM's portrayal of Abby. 

That aside, I don't think the actress switch impacted things cause the story is still muddy in that we saw nothing of Abby's recovery so I would scoff even if it was MM saying that. Abby should still be struggling with integration and seeing a shrink, not kicking up her feet and taking up space at Jen's house. Days showed Abby initially suffering [supposedly] in knowing she hurt others but nothing about her fight back to sanity and integration. DID isn't a STI that heals have a couple of weeks. Abby came back after 2 weeks fully healed from a dissociative disorder and then used that same disorder to set up Stefan months later with no struggle. It's all just a joke when it comes to the show writing Abby's mental illness cause they let her do terrible things when sick but we don't get to see her work on getting better. She's just insta-cured and then gets insulted if someone bring up her history of being ill (cause let's not forget how insulted she was that Ciara reminded Abby of it or her family when they didn't believe her when Gabi set her up). The show twists her staying healthy into entitlement, IMO 

Ugh at Abby & Jordan today. "Abby said she saw the cold look in Ben’s face and she thought he would take Charlotte." The reaching there! Ben ain't thinking about Abby and hasn't sought her out to be in her life but she stays telling people he's after her. I want Abby to drive off a cliff cause she so ridiculously self-centered. All that stuff that happened with Thomas, Abby & Chad is tied back to the actual history where Ben flipped out over Abby lying & cheating and thinking Thomas was his son but Days keeps omitting that part of history every time. I don't understand why it can't ever be mentioned in present day dialogue. It's a fact. (And no, it doesn't make what Ben did right in any way. I am saying that it did happen and is part of what triggered his rampage but the show is insistent that Abby never did anything shady in her history with Ben and he just flipped for no reason at all which is totally disingenuous)  

I am so disappointed in Jordan's return.

Ab Fab Post, Chick2Chic, you nailed Abby to an entitled T.  She's exhibited that same disposition since Kate Mansi first assumed the role and while it lessened somewhat under Marci Miller, it's back in full force since Mansi returned.  It doesn't help that her sense of entitlement is constantly reinforced by most everyone around her, and those few who have called her out on it have been shamed, silenced and usually slapped.  

Minor issue - isn't it so nice of her to park her entitled behind in her mother's house, with her kids - the mother she's currently punishing for not "believing" in her after her last murderous break with reality, living off her mother's income, etc.

I've always been baffled and still am as to why in hell most of Salem's Lot think of her as such a delicate and precious vessel of everything holy.  

Her rainbow unicorn farts must smell like roses.

• LOL 2
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, Chick2Chic said:

Ciara's only been missing for a few hours at this point, yes? So when did Ben have time to take her and stash her somewhere? When he was in a session with Marlena? Has anyone checked times at all?

Silly Chick2Chic - Of course no one has checked times!  At this point if Hope found footage of someone mugging for the camera as they kidnapped Ciara WHILE Ben was talking to Marlena she would still ignore it.  I'm not saying she should welcome Ben with open arms but this obsession is getting really old.  Pretty soon she is going to come up with "evidence" that implicates Ben in every single unsolved crime in the history of Salem!   

• Love 6
7 minutes ago, DaphneCat said:

Pretty soon she is going to come up with "evidence" that implicates Ben in every single unsolved crime in the history of Salem!   

I am at the point where I'm waiting for Ben to be implicated in Stefano's murder. Or that he somehow was the one to kill Andre, not Abby. 

7 minutes ago, DaphneCat said:

Silly Chick2Chic - Of course no one has checked times!

True. And when Ben asked relevant and pertinent questions to Hope about what could've happened, the blank look on Hope's face was something. Honestly, how is she a great commissioner per Abe? 

I am still stunned how this Jordan story isn't working for me so quickly cause Jordan seems fairly obvious plus it's weird how she ran to Abby's like she's on a timetable. Anywho, it's totally starting to feel like it's an Abby/Chabby story first and then Ben/Cin despite Jordan being Ben's kin and her supposed motivation in all this nuttine.

Oh, and to update on a post from me earlier today... Jordan brings up that Abby cheated and Abby looks stunned at that mention. It's like when Ciara reminded Abby that she's mentally ill. Does Abby have any self-awareness? At least Jordan was explicit so that is better than the tap dance we've gotten most so far about Abby cheating on Ben. It should be better / more honest than revisionist history but I know the show's angle is to spotlight how Abby is without flaws aside from being mentally ill so that her illness can be used to wave away any of her sins, so we're stuck with this. 

Roman teasing John about condoms...

• Love 8

I fell behind and am slowly catching up on episodes. But as I do I find myself with a few questions:

• Are GH and Days having a contest to see which show can be more unwatchable? Because they're tied neck and neck right now, and the only loser is the viewer.
  • Stefan is shot by evil an henchnoodle and back to the hospital he goes - does he have a private room reserved there? He's spent more time in the hospital than out since he came to Salem.
  • Was Brady out of town having his rageaholism surgically transferred to Eric? Because that's the only explanation I can come up with for their personality switches.
  • Why does Sarah have three men sniffing after her? Is it her terrible hair? Her shrill voice? Her grating personality? I enjoyed LG for a time on B&B, but find her rather unbearable here.
  • Is that it for Xander for the time being? If so, my motivation to watch the show just lessened, a lot.
  • Why am I getting such a kick out of watching Judith Chapman stare at everyone like she's getting ready to skin them alive with her laser eyes and eat them?
  • Why do TIIC think we want to see poor damsel Ciara being victimized yet again? Why couldn't she have just stayed in South Africa, off my screen?
  • Why can't we have Steve and Jack together on the show sharing a storyline? 
  • For the love of all that is good and holy in the world WHEN IS ABIGAIL LEAVING? I can't take it anymore! *cries*

CountryGirl, thanks for rundown of the Gloria/Kevin/Michael storyline from Y&R - I only ever caught snippets of them, but always thought their shared history sounded really interesting. ReRon does love recycling stories, but at least this Diana/Leo redo has to be better than Messica's Abby's DID retread from OLTL. Hopefully. (What am I saying, it can't be worse!)

18 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

Jordan/Chrishell Stause looks beautiful but believe it or not she used to be even more stunning. I think she’s gotten fillers and botox which make her look a bit more tense and severe.

Yeah, I can still remember how naturally pretty she was on AMC and find it hard to look at her now. She's not old enough to have all that shit done to her face! I hate seeing women in their 30s start down that road, and not just because I'm the same age as they are.

23 hours ago, sweetautumn said:

Xander and Leo ... are the campy and fun villains who get away with things because the writers clearly don't intend to make them sympathetic.

Ah, but I personally find Xander and Leo both to be far, far more sympathetic than the supposed good guys we are supposed to be rooting for. And I realize this is 100% subjective. Seeing the both of them treated like dog shit on the shoes of the good hypocrites of Salem is frankly disgusting at this point, and makes me want both of them to come out on top, even though they are both very flawed characters (and I mean that in every sense of the word). The other day when Adrienne mouthed off to Leo about never being good enough for her precious son - um, back in the day didn't some people think Adrienne Johnson wasn't good enough for Justin? And people calling Xander a worthless criminal not worthy of the Kiriakis name - uh, good ol' Uncle Vic has committed more than his share of heinous crimes over the years (just ask Kimberly for starters).

And this is why I have such a hard time taking anything on this show seriously anymore.  Literally every character in town has done terrible things and committed all sorts of crimes - some are remorseful, some are not - and yet certain characters are pardoned and deemed "good" by the rest of the town, and others are kicked to the curb and deemed "bad." In the 13 years I've been watching, the show has jerked around every character and every story they've done, along with more than a few classic storylines that originally went down long before I came along. There's no structural integrity left to any of them. Crazy Murderous Ben is bad, Crazy Murderous Abby is good, and Crazy Murderous Andre was an accepted pillar of society. Living Nicole was a scheming slut and Dead Nicole is a martyred saint. Scheming Gabi and Eve are bad and Scheming Will and Sonny are good. And on and on it goes. 

Nothing makes sense. Nothing has consequences. Why should I give a shit about any of it? At this point all I do is watch the actors I like and enjoy their performances, and throw sense out the window.

It's apparently too much for us soap fans to expect our shows to be good these days. But that doesn't mean I want to lose the rest of them. I just wish they would be better.

And I've officially spent more time writing this post than I did actually watching the show. Sigh.

Edited by Maelstrom
  • Love 15