Type keyword(s) to search

Current Plots Discussion: Actually Today's Episode

Message added by scarynikki12

Spoilers are not allowed in this thread. Period. Any posts that include spoilers (and casting information qualifies) will be removed. There are several other threads that allow spoilers so take that discussion to one of them.

• Start Topic

My ears are still ringing from Friday's episode.  It felt like Paulina was in every scene and delivered her lines like she was auditioning for the Salem Fog Horn contract.  There doesn't seem to be a situation she won't butt into or an opinion she won't share, and all on her hightest volume setting.  When did Salem think it needed TWO Julies?

My my, Nicole, THAT was awkward!  Jada got her number in record time.  I know she'll lose Eric to Nicole in the end and then probably end up with Rafe but till then, let the games begin.

I just wish the prizes were better.  Eric looks better, for sure, but both men are pictured in the dictionary under "crashing bores" with a secondary listing in "giant man babies".  

Nothing compares with the sorta fascinating disaster that is RSW as Alex Kiriakis.  His constant drumbeat of ridiculously stupid and neanderthal come on lines, along with his flat delivery and all that fiddling with his glasses keeps me watching, though.  I'm waiting for someone, anyone, to finally kick that dope hard, right where he keeps his tiny brain.

Ron C. has written sexually abhorrent "heroes" before in his utterly clueless idea of what's sexy (see the Ford brothers on OLTL) but Alex is a new low.  

Oh yeah, Stephanie....... Finally, a child of Kayla and Patch's that makes Joey seem smart and charming.

Edited by boes
  • Like 5
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
17 hours ago, 4evaQuez said:

At this point, Roman and Kate should just get married and become the new Shawn and Caroline.

Yes...and since many characters are related to one or the other, I'd go as far as making them the new Tom & Alice Horton.

• Sad 1
12 hours ago, RedElf said:

Somebody on Twitter just pointed out that since Sloan's last name is Peterson, she could be related to Chad.

It wouldn't be blood though since Chad is a Dimera but yes he thought his last name was Peterson at the time. I wouldn't mind it though.

• Love 2

It would be a cool way to tie Sloan to the canvas a little more. I'm liking her more in every scene. I also think Chad could use a completely new storyline. 

I've often thought that they should bring Mia back for Chad. They could explore that in an interesting way. Sort of a Sami/Lucas thing if Will had died. 

You could also have Mia still hate Nicole, possibly seek vengeance against her.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, JBC344 said:

It would be a cool way to tie Sloan to the canvas a little more. I'm liking her more in every scene. I also think Chad could use a completely new storyline. 

I've often thought that they should bring Mia back for Chad. They could explore that in an interesting way. Sort of a Sami/Lucas thing if Will had died. 

You could also have Mia still hate Nicole, possibly seek vengeance against her.

I rather see that than Nicole’s love life tbh. I also think it would be a good story for Chad 

• Applause 1
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, JBC344 said:

Bring back Mia only if they don’t use the original actress. I recall many comments that we felt the actress had dead, creepy looking eyes. 

13 hours ago, norcalgal said:

Bring back Mia only if they don’t use the original actress. I recall many comments that we felt the actress had dead, creepy looking eyes. 

I actually didn’t mind Taylor Spreitler(Mia)in other roles. I was surprised at how much I liked her in Melissa and Joey. 

• Love 1

Nicole and Eric talking about their dreams was so awkward and not in a good way. 
   What difference does it make how long Jayda has been in town?  She’s single she can sleep with whoever she wants.  And if Nicole is going to lecture someone how about Eric?  Eric also slept with someone he barley knows.  But I guess it’s ok for a guy?

• Like 3
  • Applause 4
  • Love 1

Cool, cool, we've got RSW playing another character who doesn't know how to take "no" for an answer and stalks/harasses the object of his obsession.

Unfortunately, we know where this is going... they'll end up together. Just like CIN.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, RedElf said:

Did they change anything in this Orpheus story, or did they just recycle the story from 20 years ago?

I think it's largely a rehash from 5 years ago. 35 years ago though, it had a lot more twists and nuance.  Back then Orpheus made RoJohn think Marlena was dead, sent his siter-in-law to town to make RoJohn move on with her, then dangled the idea in front of him that Marlena might be alive.  It was much more of a complicated mind fuck.  Steve and Kayla were only his target when they got in his way.  But I guess since the geriatric heroes and heroines don't have much of a brain these days, Orpheus figures his plots and plans can be lame and rehashed.  At this point, I'm still on #TeamOrpheus whether he has a good plan or good motive or not because the rest of them just annoy me.  What was most laughable about this storyline today was trying to picture Chris Kostichek Roman as an ISA agent, yet alone Orpheus's former trigger-happy partner. 

• Like 3
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, tribeca said:

Nicole and Eric talking about their dreams was so awkward and not in a good way. 
   What difference does it make how long Jayda has been in town?  She’s single she can sleep with whoever she wants.  And if Nicole is going to lecture someone how about Eric?  Eric also slept with someone he barley knows.  But I guess it’s ok for a guy?

Honestly I was more bothered by Eric than Jada because I found it out of character for him given how he was a priest and I remember him turning down Sarah for a ONS because he said he didn't believe in casual sex. That's what led to Xander/Sarah getting together to begin with.

• Love 6
On 8/28/2022 at 3:13 AM, Soapy Goddess said:

Yes...and since many characters are related to one or the other, I'd go as far as making them the new Tom & Alice Horton.

I really would like to think Kate could find a slightly fresher man.

No offense Roman. You deserve someone too. Someone less glam perhaps.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4

Orpheus, surely with the passage of time, you could come up with something more creative. Marlena seemed bored and apathetic about being kidnapped and tied to a chair - again. Now you bring in Kate. The poor cake is left standing in the square.

Allie is right about folks in Salem running in to each other all the time. The good old Dr. Who trope of meeting someone once - hmmm - but meeting them again - they are there for a reason. This is just a soap trope and a meet cute. Alex does need to grow up a bit before he can handle any real relationship. Stephanie is a challenge because she said 'no'.

And we get an Adrienne anvil. Sigh.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, SouthernChick said:

Stephanie and Sonny were talking about “Aunt Adrienne”, yet Stephanie didn’t know Alex existed? Sure Jan!

This reminds me of when Brady and Belle were aged up they were calling Shawn and Caroline Grandpa and grandma as soon as the show wanted to pair Shawn with Belle, they had Belle refer to Caroline as your grandmother when talking to Shawn. The dialogue was so clunky since it was not even that long when Belle was talking about Grandma Caroline to John.

Edited by Pearson80
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

I really would like to think Kate could find a slightly fresher man.

No offense Roman. You deserve someone too. Someone less glam perhaps.

Kate's not exactly a spring chicken either. Remember, she dates back to Bill Horton.

And I think Roman could use a little glam in his boring life. He really needs to get out more.

• Love 6

I fully expected that Orpheus would kidnap Paulina, too.  After all, is there a scene/storyline she can't be shoehorned into?

I guess it still could happen.

I'd be fine if somehow Kayla got free and left Doc to bore Orpheus to death.

• LOL 9
  • Love 1

Too bad daddyo wasn't a few minutes earlier, he could've got a laugh at Gaby trying to free her hands from her sleeves or not being able to undo Li's top button 😉  lol 

But I sure got a laugh,  bet they won't be so quick to get frisky at work 

• Like 2
  • LOL 4
11 hours ago, boes said:

I fully expected that Orpheus would kidnap Paulina, too.  After all, is there a scene/storyline she can't be shoehorned into?

I guess it still could happen.

I'd be fine if somehow Kayla got free and left Doc to bore Orpheus to death.

Her shrieking would drive him nuts.

• Applause 1
  • LOL 2

Gabi's green dress was pretty. Nice to see her in something that isn't from the hooker wear line. 

Jake's grave plate says he was born in 1979. I could have sworn Stefan's grave stone in a previous episode said 1974.   

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Peanut6711 said:

Jake's grave plate says he was born in 1979. I could have sworn Stefan's grave stone in a previous episode said 1974.   

The grave plates are so messed up like why do they even bother lol. They told us Stefan died 4 years ago. His grave plate said 2019 so that means the time jump is still a thing and it's 2023 in Salem. But Jake's grave plate said he died in 2022. COME ON!

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

The grave plates are so messed up like why do they even bother lol. They told us Stefan died 4 years ago. His grave plate said 2019 so that means the time jump is still a thing and it's 2023 in Salem. But Jake's grave plate said he died in 2022. COME ON!

If Ron isn't going to keep a cheat sheet of the things he writes, then he needs to break out the leaves to cover the dates like he did with Adrienne's grave stone. 

• Like 5
  • Love 1
19 minutes ago, Peanut6711 said:

If Ron isn't going to keep a cheat sheet of the things he writes, then he needs to break out the leaves to cover the dates like he did with Adrienne's grave stone. 

Just don't have dates of birth/death - period!  I've seen that many times in other tv shows or movies. In fact, unless it's crucial to the plot, that should be the default.

• Like 4
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1

Why did the show have Brady ask Chloe about what it was like to go through a custody battle? He’s been in one himself. That’s the whole reason he doesn’t have custody of Tate. That would have also made me more sense for why he’d be afraid to lose to Kristen, since he’s lost one of these before. 

Why are characters like EJ and Tony - characters who have come back from the “dead” themselves - acting like Ava thinking she saw a dead Jake so out of the realm of possibility? As Johnny said, this is a town with a literal Devil problem, and they’re acting like a little old situation of someone coming back from the dead is something out of science fiction.

Put your clothes on, Alex. Yeah, I know he didn’t appear today but I’m getting prepared for the next appearance of that dumbass. On that note - Shut Up, Leo.

• Like 2
  • Fire 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 8
32 minutes ago, FilmTVGeek80 said:

Why did the show have Brady ask Chloe about what it was like to go through a custody battle? He’s been in one himself. That’s the whole reason he doesn’t have custody of Tate. That would have also made me more sense for why he’d be afraid to lose to Kristen, since he’s lost one of these before. 

Why are characters like EJ and Tony - characters who have come back from the “dead” themselves - acting like Ava thinking she saw a dead Jake so out of the realm of possibility? As Johnny said, this is a town with a literal Devil problem, and they’re acting like a little old situation of someone coming back from the dead is something out of science fiction.

Put your clothes on, Alex. Yeah, I know he didn’t appear today but I’m getting prepared for the next appearance of that dumbass. On that note - Shut Up, Leo.

Amen!  

I thought it was laughable too that EJ and Tony were so quick to dismiss what Ava (also a person brought back from the dead) said she saw. Like the Dimera property is one of the devil's favorite stomping grounds when he/she is in town, and Salem's mad scientist is on their payroll! Have they not thought to check in on what's he's been up to since being pardoned? No one wonders what Rolf is doing to pass the time now that he's free?

Edited by Peanut6711
  • Like 1
  • Love 8
4 minutes ago, Peanut6711 said:

I thought it was laughable too that EJ and Tony were so quick to dismiss what Ava (also a person brought back from the dead) said she saw. Like the Dimera property is one of the devil's favorite stomping grounds when he/she is in town, and Salem's mad scientist is on their payroll! Have they not thought to check in on what's he's been up to since being pardoned? No one wonders what Rolf is doing to pass the time now that he's free?

Rolf brought back EJ, Tony, Ava, Jack, Kristen and Stefano numerous of times. If there is one family that shouldn't be concerned about attending funerals, it would be the Dimera. Hell even Megan is alive

• LOL 3
  • Love 3

I too wondered why the DiMera men didn't call up Dr. Rolf to see what he has been up to. The DiMeras seem to regularly rise from the dead, and this may not be an exception. Heck, someone could have hired an actor to wear a Jake mask to turn up at the door. With the Devil possessing half the Bradys and DiMeras, one never knows.

Aren't all the board meetings a waste of time and money? Wei Shin is going to fly from Hong Kong or Shanghai or wherever? He can't do a Zoom call? And Gabs caught her hunky boyfriend in a lie. Calling his dad two minutes before it was daddus interruptus. Her dress was nice.

Kristen served Brady with child custody papers? Granted, her options for getting custody aren't great, but she is the mom and Brady would have to have a lot on her.

How does Kristen expect Dr. Rolf to have half zombie Stefan O remember his love for Chloe and not Gabi? Pay him a few million to pretend to love Chloe.

Little Rachel just seemed to come from nowhere to vent at Chloe.

• Like 1
  • Love 6
14 hours ago, FilmTVGeek80 said:

Why did the show have Brady ask Chloe about what it was like to go through a custody battle? He’s been in one himself. 

I thought that conversation was odd because Brady framed it as women always winning their custody battle, but Chloe lost her custody battle with Philip. That's why Philip left with Parker to Chicago and Chloe hired Justin as her lawyer to eventually get partial custody again.

God help me, but I actually like the Ava/Johnny scenes. Both are pointless characters at this point, but they work well together. 

I'm actually not against Rolf brainwashing Chloe and Stefan being together. The show has made it quite clear who the rooting couples are, and it seems like something Langan would have written for Bope/Jarlena in the aughts.

E.J. feels like a pointless character without Sami. Tony also feels pointless. Why are the Dimeras on this show?

• Love 5
2 hours ago, 4evaQuez said:

E.J. feels like a pointless character without Sami. 

Pointless, pretentious, and pompous.  Ron really needs to reveal that he's not the real EJ and just a brainwashed imposter that someone sent.  He can do the same for Roman while he's at it and return him to Chris Kostichek status.  Would at least create a new storyline. Ron can file it all under 'recasts that didn't work.'

Edited by Peanut6711
  • Like 1
  • Applause 3
  • Love 3

I loved every single thing about all the Dimera scenes. I love EJ as an asshole continuously trying to take over the company and losing, I loved everyone treating him like a dick at the meeting, I love this budding Ava/Johnny thing. I'm just here for all of it.

Does anyone now what Tony said after Johnny said EJ might not have the votes? I could not make it out and for some reason I can't get CC for Days.

• Like 1
  • Love 7
8 hours ago, 4evaQuez said:

E.J. feels like a pointless character without Sami. Tony also feels pointless. Why are the Dimeras on this show?

The Dimeras died with Stefano they stopped being scary ages ago. Now they're just cartoonish and they shouldn't have been like everyone else in town well Stefano at least. When they made them just like everyone else in Salem it was the beginning of the end for this family.

I oddly enough don't mind EJ with everyone but Sami but he's also anchored to this show mostly because of her. He didn't need to be though because I think he actually is great with Nicole and I rather see EJ/Nicole work it out than another Ericole redux where Nicole has to stifle a part of herself for that pairing to work. I'd even take EJ/Belle rather than see another tired Shelle redux where Belle cheats on him every few years and Shawn is her doormat.

However I think they should've just let EJ stay dead tbh if they have no real direction for him beyond Sami(or just had them leave town together).

• Love 6

So glad Brady did not hire Justin.  Rachel reminded me Kristin she said I hate you to Chloe.  Brady better keep on eye on her. 
   Ava should learn to stand on her own.   First she lived off Rafe, then Jake now its EJ. 
This Stefan story is really dumb. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3

The Stefan story is dumb. Dr. Rolf will need the suction of a Dyson vacuum to get Zombie Stefan to fall in love with Chloe. All those brain cells..... maybe donate them to the Salem Brain.

EJ, you were dumb to call for a shareholder meeting to restore you to power in the hopes that you could convince folks that Ava is mentally unstable. Maybe she is, but that is to be determined by a mental health practitioner. She is a grieving 'widow' and you are being a nasty little worm to take advantage of her pereived weakness. Find something else to be slimy about. Why does the DiMera mansio not have security cameras to show who is at the door?

Johnny and Ava are cute. Well, til he finds out that she isn't being honest.

Yeah, Gabi, you are one vote away from EJ being boss. Papa Shin knows nothing of his son's extracurricular activities?

The Belle and Shawn thing is boring. Have them break up, move on to others and maybe reconnect down the line. Shawn deserves better than to be her doormat.

• Like 2
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

Does anyone now what Tony said after Johnny said EJ might not have the votes?

"Another county heard from."

Dr Rolf manipulating Stefan's memories was like a really bad rip off Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, although mildly amusing, nonetheless.  I was surprised that seeing those flashbacks reminded me of how much I enjoyed Brandon B as Stefan, because I could barely stand him as that annoying Jake character.  

It was fun to get a little insight into the dynamic between Li and his father, and Remington Hoffman didn't disappoint in playing the scenes as wooden as possible. 

Ava and Johnny are charming as friends with a romantic subtext.  Their scenes are almost making me like Carson Boatman again.  

• Applause 3
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

I loved every single thing about all the Dimera scenes. I love EJ as an asshole continuously trying to take over the company and losing, I loved everyone treating him like a dick at the meeting, I love this budding Ava/Johnny thing. I'm just here for all of it.

Does anyone now what Tony said after Johnny said EJ might not have the votes? I could not make it out and for some reason I can't get CC for Days.

Never mind!   EnchantingMonkey already answered it.

Edited by boes

Can’t remember where we are discussing the move to Peacock. I tried to sign up for a year since they are having a special. And after I signed in I got an error code said to try back later I’ve tried three times and I still can’t get on   what are they trying to pull?

• Useful 1

This version of E.J. is just impotent in every facet of his life. His scheming completely backfired, and he looked like a fool in front of Mr. Shin. And DF definitely make a bold acting choice with that scream and the glass throwing. I'm not certain what this E.J. is going for. He isn't debonair, menacing, stoic, clever, or even particularly self-maintained. 

I also wish the show put some energy in showing the complicated dynamic between EJ/Johnny that it obviously wants to have. Lucas/Kate or Marlena/Sami spent years showing us the push and pull, but even before that, there was an emotional norm for both characters. Before the affair and before the Curtis reveal, we saw the norm of mothers doing their best to raise teenagers. I don't know what the norm for EJ/Johnny are or EJ raising a young man. Tony saying you "don't wanna lose your son" is great stakes but only if its earned. I'm not certain EJ or Johnny care about losing each other.

I'm in the minority but I'm liking the Stefan storyline so far. Having Ava see "Jake" and that pushing her closer to Johnny. I really liked the flashbacks and I forgot how well Stefan and Gabi worked together. After Jake and Gabi, I didn't realize how much it tainted my memories of Stefan/Gabi, but I immediately went back to rooting for them. It also just highlighted how much Gabi/Shin is a bust as a relationship.

I actually liked Shawn. For the first time in years, he seemed to have a personality. I don't think this is going to actually go anywhere, but it did make me wish they would get Shawn out of the precinct. I think that weighs BB down. Also, while I think BB usually does well in scenes with NB, I also think he did pretty good with MM, too.

I thought MM looked beautiful this episode. I honestly don't mean this as shade, but as someone who thinks she usually looks matronly, there was a sultriness in her look this episode I appreciated.

In one of the flashbacks, Gabi is wearing a black and white dress that is quite similar to the dress Ava is wearing. Someone really should have noticed that and cut the scene.

Edited by 4evaQuez
  • Like 3
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
29 minutes ago, 4evaQuez said:

This version of E.J. is just impotent in every facet of his life. His scheming completely backfired, and he looked like a fool in front of Mr. Shin. And DF definitely make a bold acting choice with that scream and the glass throwing. I'm not certain what this E.J. is going for. He isn't debonair, menacing, stoic, clever, or even particularly self-maintained. 

I also wish the show put some energy in showing the complicated dynamic between EJ/Johnny that it obviously wants to have. Lucas/Kate or Marlena/Sami spent years showing us the push and pull, but even before that, there was an emotional norm for both characters. Before the affair and before the Curtis reveal, we saw the norm of mothers doing their best to raise teenagers. I don't know what the norm for EJ/Johnny are or EJ raising a young man. Tony saying you "don't wanna lose your son" is great stakes but only if its earned. I'm not certain EJ or Johnny care about losing each other.

I thought MM looked beautiful this episode. I honestly don't mean this as shade, but as someone who thinks she usually looks matronly, there was a sultriness in her look this episode I appreciated.

In one of the flashbacks, Gabi is wearing a black and white dress that is quite similar to the dress Ava is wearing. Someone really should have noticed that and cut the scene.

Ditto on the above, especially the bold. NuEJ comes off as a cry-baby, constantly trying to soothe his wounded ego. 

If the show was so intent to bring EJ back on canvas (without JS) knowing AS only pops back for limited runs, then they should have made Allie and Johnny teenagers and focused on EJ trying to raise them (as well as maybe a preteen Sydney). We could have gotten an introductory scene where Sami got some international business job offer that was too good to pass up (establishing a good reason for why Sami comes and goes) and EJ telling her that she took care of him during his recovery, so they'll return to Salem and he'll take care of the kids now and then have him find out how hard it is to raise teenagers.  This would have given viewers better character establishment of grown Allie and Johnny by starting them on screen younger (plus they don't act like adults half the time now) and created plenty of conflict as Johnny butted heads with EJ and Allie resented him as a step-dad. Maybe the Chanel triangle would have been less annoying too if she'd have met them both at Salem High. 

I too noticed MM's look/hair was cuter yesterday. 

• Love 7