Type keyword(s) to search

Current Plots Discussion: Actually Today's Episode

Message added by scarynikki12

Spoilers are not allowed in this thread. Period. Any posts that include spoilers (and casting information qualifies) will be removed. There are several other threads that allow spoilers so take that discussion to one of them.

• Start Topic

As the above poster said, huge developments need to go through a process. Rezoning, letters sent out to folks living nearby to alert them of the upcoming project, going through the City Council and various other departments. You just can't put up a building without a lot of people being involved. If Paulina just used Abe to push the project through, it should be postponed until it goes through all the hoops.

Chanel looked really nice today. Yeah, mom, 20% of small businesses fail within the first year. The business will fail because it will never happen.

Jake, you are not all that. Kate had a nice fling with you, but that is what it was. Gabi can attract more interesting men. Unless she has an unresolved thing with your twin brother. Heck, if she does own the house, she can kick everyone out, and even you, and then yank the Stefano painting from the wall and watch it burn in the fireplace. Gabi will be a Kate type woman when she hits that age. And Kate is so fast to sign on to DiMera. She'll watch the Chad and EJ chips fall and plot a takeover.

A first anniversary should be a quiet dinner and not a huge, raging party. How could Eli possibly forget it since he has been reminded of it for weeks.

And Lani, what good ears you have to pick up that your Aunt Paulina may not be as honest as you think.

• Love 7
(edited)
4 hours ago, TenaciousWarrior said:

Are they popular with the audience though?

They seemed to get a lot of media attention and comments on Twitter around their marriage.  I don't begrudge their existence and I actually think they could do so much more with Eli but I also can't hep but wonder just how popular they (separately or together) would be if they actually tried with the couple? 

2 hours ago, Frozendiva said:

Jake, you are not all that. Kate had a nice fling with you, but that is what it was.

Kate faked being blind as some sort of act of revenge.  You don't do that over a fling.  Any time she tries to denigrate him, he'll always have that over her. 

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Useful 1
  • Love 8

Is the Ava that visited (and is apparently involved with) Rafe today the same Ava that Joey smothered a few years ago?  If so, why on earth did they undead her?  Was it to redeem Joey?  Again if so, couldn't they have done all that without bringing the character of Ava back on screen?  FFS, she's as boring and useless as Abigail. 

I enjoyed Sami and Lucas today.  That's all I got.

• LOL 3
  • Love 6
(edited)

As I said before Ava and Rafe relationship is doomed and has too many lies between them          
  Ava lies about Kristin and Rafe is dreaming about Nicole.    
I think this is setting Ava up to become bad again.   
ETA

i like Lani and Eli.  Although I like him more.  The only time I dislike Lani is with Kristin.  That friendship is so one sided and makes Lani look dumb. 

Edited by tribeca
  • Love 5
11 hours ago, Chellfairy said:

Gabi Chic is/was failing. 

Except when it wasn't. It's plot dictated. Much like everything having to do with Dimera, which is why this takeover story doesn't really work. @Irlandesa laid out beautifully why you really need actual, consistent character development for corporate stories to work. It's probably why they don't do them much anymore since most soap writers aren't really that great at doing character stuff.

2 hours ago, tribeca said:

I think this is setting Ava up to become bad again.   

I hope. That's the only way she's marginally interesting.

• Love 12

Most likely an unpopular opinion but I'm liking the new EJ.  Or more accurately, I'm liking how much I'm hating the new EJ.  While I don't see any chemistry with Sami that doesn't bother me since I thought those two were an awful couple from the outset.  This EJ reboot seems to be back to the basics of EJ being an elitist, untrustworthy all out bad guy and I'm fine with that.

I was never much of a James Scott fan - talk about phoning it in - so I don't have that hurdle to overcome.  Just imagine this guy putting up with  Kate Mansi's version of Abigail.  She'd be toast.

Most likely Show will somehow ruin it all but for now I'm enjoying how cold blooded he is.  His fall will be satisfying, when it comes, but till then, let him torture Chad till he makes him cry and make Rafe out to be an even bigger fool than he already is.

• Love 13
6 minutes ago, boes said:

Most likely an unpopular opinion but I'm liking the new EJ.  Or more accurately, I'm liking how much I'm hating the new EJ. 

I don't hate him.  Or even love to hate him.  But they need to find the character. He can't be James Scott's version so they need to find out what he can be since it sounds like people have liked the actor in other roles.

• Love 5

Damn it!! Just when I’m watching the show…it’s interrupted because Bill Cosby is being released from jail!

I’m very pissed off since it cut out right when Philip and Chloe were interacting!

FML!! 😖😖😖

• Love 5
1 hour ago, boes said:

Most likely an unpopular opinion but I'm liking the new EJ.  Or more accurately, I'm liking how much I'm hating the new EJ.  While I don't see any chemistry with Sami that doesn't bother me since I thought those two were an awful couple from the outset.

Same!

Never an Ejami fan. I didn’t think James Scott and Allison Sweeney had any chem, and She and nuEJ lack even more

EJ is supposed to be a bad guy..hoping that continues!

3 minutes ago, nilyank said:

So a talking teddy bear.

WTF was that.

Hahahahaha.. the bear is at least more interesting than Rafe..I’m kinda liking the the 🐻 

• Love 5

I am LOL at the scenes of Duke the Bear talking to Rafe & then Rafe yelling at Duke to "Shut Up"!  These scenes are 'campy" for sure :)

10 minutes ago, Chellfairy said:

Damn it!! Just when I’m watching the show…it’s interrupted because Bill Cosby is being released from jail!

I’m very pissed off since it cut out right when Philip and Chloe were interacting!

FML!! 😖😖😖

Same here:  I was annoyed because I wanted to see more of Duke the talking Teddy Bear, LOL

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
(edited)
20 minutes ago, nilyank said:

So a talking teddy bear.

I read the description for today's episode and it said Rafe got advice from a surprising source.  I immediately guessed it was the bear. 

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1

WHY was the shoe interrupted for a bunch of random reports about Bill Cosby being released.  WHY is this necessary to interrupt my shows?  Used to be they would interrupt & I knew it was important now I just think it is a bunch of garbage.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
7 minutes ago, tnvolgrl said:

WHY was the shoe interrupted for a bunch of random reports about Bill Cosby being released.  WHY is this necessary to interrupt my shows?  Used to be they would interrupt & I knew it was important now I just think it is a bunch of garbage.

I agree.  I know what is considered "breaking, important" news would be different for different folks, but this news seems like it could have waited until the Evening News & it was being carried over on MSNBC.  It wasn't like there was a Mass shooting, or a Hurricane coming,  or something like that.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 11
16 minutes ago, BuckeyeLou said:

I am LOL at the scenes of Duke the Bear talking to Rafe & then Rafe yelling at Duke to "Shut Up"!  These scenes are 'campy" for sure :)

Same here:  I was annoyed because I wanted to see more of Duke the talking Teddy Bear, LOL

It sounds like Galen Gering got out-acted again!  

• LOL 11
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, boes said:

It sounds like Galen Gering got out-acted again!  

Ummmm....Galen did the voiceover for Duke....sort of his take on a country/cowboy accent

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, nilyank said:

Ummmm....Galen did the voiceover for Duke....sort of his take on a country/cowboy accent

Hoisted by his own ....petard?

• LOL 10
  • Love 1

I take back all the nasty things I said about the Ciara-Ben telepathic dreams, because holy sweet merciful crap... Rafe is now receiving love advice from his stuffed bear.

(OK, I don't take back everything I said... because it was still atrocious.)

• LOL 7
  • Love 3
16 minutes ago, RunningMarket said:

I take back all the nasty things I said about the Ciara-Ben telepathic dreams, because holy sweet merciful crap... Rafe is now receiving love advice from his stuffed bear.

And yet, the bear was better, IMO. 

• LOL 10
  • Love 1
21 hours ago, TenaciousWarrior said:

Are they popular with the audience though? I’ve visited difference message boards and there is overwhelming sentiment that they are boring. As for being the token black characters, I believe you are onto something. But they shouldn’t stay simply because of their race. I mean, Paulina and Chanel are charismatic, and they are black. Not all characters need to stay simply because they are black.

Well its not like the show cares about these characters beyond a quota. They will do the bare minimum for Lani/Eli so it really doesn't matter who's there as the token black couple. They are written intentionally boring and bland just like Wilson who were the token gay couple of the show.

If Paulina/Chanel are interesting its by dumb luck not by the intent of the writers.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, RunningMarket said:

(OK, I don't take back everything I said... because it was still atrocious.)

That's a great idea!  Just like Ciara and Ben were connected by those books - Romeo and Juliet and Serial Killers for Dummies in their case, right? - Rafe and Nicole could be connected by telepathic visions of 

Romance AND Ultra Soft Care for their bottoms - that's Rafe in a (literal) nutshell.

Man, can Ron C. write great dwama or WHAT?

52 minutes ago, RedElf said:

Why do so many alcoholics on this show hang out in bars?

How long has Ava been freeloading off of Rafe, and didn't know the story about Duke?

When Ava suspects, that bear is gonna end up face down in pasta sauce with a salad fork through its heart.

• LOL 17
16 minutes ago, boes said:

That's a great idea!  Just like Ciara and Ben were connected by those books - Romeo and Juliet and Serial Killers for Dummies in their case, right? - Rafe and Nicole could be connected by telepathic visions of 

Romance AND Ultra Soft Care for their bottoms - that's Rafe in a (literal) nutshell.

Man, can Ron C. write great dwama or WHAT?

When Ava suspects, that bear is gonna end up face down in pasta sauce with a salad fork through its heart.

Yes. Bear better watch out. He’s a goner.

• LOL 8
8 hours ago, boes said:

Most likely an unpopular opinion but I'm liking the new EJ. 

I like him.  Daniel Feuerriegel has a menacing presence that's perfect for the character.  And I'm not bothered by how much chemistry he does or doesn't have with Alison Sweeney, because I see Sami and EJ's relationship being driven more by each character's narcissism rather than some capacity for romantic love.  

Why didn't the bear talk in Jordan's voice?  Jordan's-Guilty-Conscience could be the new dastardly villain wreaking havoc across Salem, USA while Kristin is off licking her wounds in some UNDISCLOSED LOCATION.  

Are we supposed to be learning something about Paulina in all of these scenes in which someone almost discovers her E-VOL plan for the square, or is it just a feeble attempt at building suspense?  As soon as Lani confronted Paulina, I knew it was going to be half-truths or outright lies to dance her way out of it.  Is there something else to these scenes that I'm missing?  

Every day that Ava is on I beg and plead for Charlie to come back from the dead.  I feel like this "romance" with Rafe could sorta-kinda be interesting if Charlie continued to cause trouble in ways that challenged her attempt to be good enough for Rafe.

It's frustrating that the same writers who saddled so many characters across the canvas with inner struggles during Charlie and Gwen's concurrent reigns of terror have practically nothing of interest happening right now.  

• Love 9

Didn't get to see much of the show today because of all the news break-ins.  I was hoping to see flashbacks of Chloe in high school since those times precede my viewership.

Anyway, I also like the new EJ. 

And Duke the talking stuffed bear.  GG's Rafe is actually charming to me when he's being ironic, cynical and/or funny.  He isn't given enough opportunity to play any of that because he's put into stories that require him to be mopey and stupid, or rage-inducingly hypocritical.

7 hours ago, nilyank said:

So a talking teddy bear.

WTF was that.

This is a device Ron Carliavati employs from time to time.  On One Life to Live it was a dog and a baby talking sense to each other about characters in distress.  I'm pretty sure he did something similar on General Hospital but I don't remember who/what the conduit for sanity was, or the other characters involved, or the plot, lol.  It's just something RC does, and IMO one of the things he does well.

• Love 7
(edited)
1 hour ago, WendyCR72 said:

If the show needed a talking bear, surely someone has their childhood Teddy Ruxpin to use instead. This was just stupid.

Well…it IS Rafe’s conscious speaking to him.  🤯

Edited by Chellfairy
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

Rafe's consciousness via Duke  was a bit crude. Duke could use a wash.

Ava has time and energy to make a big dinner and a dessert? I can barely put something on the bbq these days (we are supposed to conserve power because of the heat dome). Nicole's dress was nice. Until Nicole is no longer married, hands off, Rafe. And she may not want you if you are with Ava. Surely Ava wants some sort of job to keep herself occupied.

No one should be pushing Chloe toward either Brady or Philip. Maybe someone else can come on the canvas. Neither of the two should be with her at this time.

Lani, you are a cop. Your Spiden senses should be on to your aunt. Something is off with her project. You'd think she would want to show her family her plans and artist renderings. The Mayor is not king and he cannot just put a rubber stamp on a major building project without having any idea what it is.

A first anniversary does not require a major party. Save it for the tenth or twenty fifth.

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, Frozendiva said:

No one should be pushing Chloe toward either Brady or Philip. Maybe someone else can come on the canvas. Neither of the two should be with her at this time.

I agree. Looks like that’s where that’s heading though, so, I guess I’d rather see Philip and Chloe, if it has to come between him and Brady. Philip is correct, Brady has no business even putting Chloe on his orbit, with Kristen on the loose.  And Shawn and Brady just irritated me ganging   up on Philip. Not that he’s a saint, but..Same old same old, high school stuff.  
I’d much rather see Philip find another, but who? 
Brady needs to focus on his kid and be alone while figuring out how not to make bad choices. Chloe would just be a rebound bandaid on his wounded soul.  Dating  right away isn’t going to  fix that.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, BuckeyeLou said:

Well, Galen had to do 'romantic" scenes with an Orangutan on "Passions" :)

She had a name! It was Precious! Although, as I learned from the Wikipedia entry (which I really recommend reading because it's ridiculous), Precious was actually played by a male orangutan named Bam Bam. 

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, enchantingmonkey said:

Are we supposed to be learning something about Paulina in all of these scenes in which someone almost discovers her E-VOL plan for the square, or is it just a feeble attempt at building suspense?  As soon as Lani confronted Paulina, I knew it was going to be half-truths or outright lies to dance her way out of it.  Is there something else to these scenes that I'm missing?  

She is a terrible liar.  When Lani heard her saying "Abe can't know about this"  all she would have needed to say is that she was planning a romantic surprise.  Trust me, Lani would NOT want details (I don't want details about their love life and I'm not even related to them!)  And why would she consider telling Lani the truth?  She knows that Lani would tell Abe immediately so why not just tell him?

• Love 5

Haven’t commented as had only been watching the show occasionally in the past, but have been watching more lately and had some thoughts/observations.

Was it just me but I honestly thought the bear was going to try to push Rafe to try for a threesome with Ava and Nicole? Seriously with how the bear was voiced he kind of gave off that vibe. 

Part of the reason started watching again was to see Dan as EJ. Watched him on Spartacus series a few years ago and really liked him then and wanted to see how he would play EJ. I do like how right now this EJ seems very calm but there seems to be something just underneath the surface. 

Gabi, it doesn’t have to be an either or situation. You want to live with Jake, do it but also still have the enjoyment of kicking all the Dimera’s out of the house. Sale that house and use the money to get your own house/mansion. I am sure Paulina could buy it or maybe Victor would do it just to be petty. Hell let the city buy it and they could write it off as a public safety expense considering how many crimes happen there.

Looking like something may happen with Chanel/Allie which could be interesting. Though to be honest, I kind of want Allie to be bi for a storyline that I doubt the should would ever do but I would love to see it done. I would want a story like the Joey/Dorian on OLTL from years ago. Basically one of the women Sami has crossed over the years decides to get revenge on her by seducing her daughter. As I said, doubt it would happen but I will hold out hope. 

• Love 9
12 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I read the description for today's episode and it said Rafe got advice from a surprising source.  I immediately guessed it was the bear. 

I saw it too and immediately suspected it as well and hoped against hope I was wrong, but alas...And, curses on you, to anyone who when that bear first showed up said the shared custody thing was cute (okay, no curses, but stand in the corner and think about what you've done...) Leave it to Ron to take something some people enjoyed and run it into the ground and ruin it beyond measure. He did the same thing with that Ford water bucket moment on OLTL. People thought the guy was hot and RC basically decided to hand the show over to him. Could this show soon become The Days of Duke's Life?

It was funny because I was watching the ep on Peacock and immediately after the episode ended there was an ad for bleach and I thought how apropos because I needed some serious brain bleach to get the memory of those Rafe/Duke scenes out of my brain. I was wondering how the actors didn't want the Earth to open up and swallow them, but finding out GG once had to romance an orangutan, I guess he's faced worse. 

• LOL 7

I just realized Brady is Claire's uncle and cousin. Why have I never put that together before?

Was Rafe talking to a bear supposed to be cute? charming? relatable? 

Does Ava ever leave that kitchen?

I really enjoyed the Marlena/Abe scenes. I honestly couldn't remember the last time the two had a friendship scene. I was disappointed that she, John, and Brady couldn't come to the anniversary party as that is the type of cast integration I would love to see.

Lani is so annoying. I hope we are getting close to the reveal of Paulina's secret.

I liked the Chloe/Belle scenes. I wouldn't mind if the show reconnected that friendship as Belle doesn't have any friends, and the show doesn't seem interested in the Chloe/Nicole friendship right now.

I enjoyed Brady/Shawn. I couldn't remember the last time these two had a friendship/brothers-in-law scene either.

The Phloe kiss was nice.

Overall, I liked the episode for the rarely seen screen partners but overall another boring one.

• Love 6
9 hours ago, DaphneCat said:

She is a terrible liar.  When Lani heard her saying "Abe can't know about this"  all she would have needed to say is that she was planning a romantic surprise.  Trust me, Lani would NOT want details (I don't want details about their love life and I'm not even related to them!)  And why would she consider telling Lani the truth?  She knows that Lani would tell Abe immediately so why not just tell him?

Paulina is just an OTT character. And that’s ok with me, but this storyline is going nowhere.  It appears she’s in the workings of screwing over Horton Square..but why?  
And why take a business call (loudly)in the middle of the town..Just get it over with , drop the ball and run with it. I just feel it’s going to turn out to be nothing, Abe will get his heart broken, and blah blah Blech! And Lani..you ar a boring, horrible cop. No intuition whatsoever.

• Love 5
11 hours ago, MerBearStare said:

She had a name! It was Precious! Although, as I learned from the Wikipedia entry (which I really recommend reading because it's ridiculous), Precious was actually played by a male orangutan named Bam Bam. 

Never watched Passions. I can't believe this! Lol

• LOL 4

What!!?? Another Eli slip exposing ass and balls to his wife’s little cousin! 
She’ll get blamed again and now I think he’s just DUMB DUMB DUMB

Can’t watch the rest because I’m off to work. 
but still..this is getting redundantly riDICKulous!!

• LOL 6
  • Love 3
(edited)

Other soaps have multiple actors shirtless in an episode but it's not attributed to the sexual desires of the headwriter. Do Y&R's traditional Fourth of July pool parties, or B&B's male modeling scenes, result in the same scrutiny of their respective writers?

Edited by Aymery
2 hours ago, Chellfairy said:

What!!?? Another Eli slip exposing ass and balls to his wife’s little cousin! 
She’ll get blamed again and now I think he’s just DUMB DUMB DUMB

Can’t watch the rest because I’m off to work. 
but still..this is getting redundantly riDICKulous!!

I’m beginning to think that Eli WANTS Chanel to see him naked. There is no excuse to what he’s doing.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
17 hours ago, Chellfairy said:

I agree. Looks like that’s where that’s heading though, so, I guess I’d rather see Philip and Chloe, if it has to come between him and Brady. Philip is correct, Brady has no business even putting Chloe on his orbit, with Kristen on the loose.  And Shawn and Brady just irritated me ganging   up on Philip. Not that he’s a saint, but..Same old same old, high school stuff.  
I’d much rather see Philip find another, but who? 
Brady needs to focus on his kid and be alone while figuring out how not to make bad choices. Chloe would just be a rebound bandaid on his wounded soul.  Dating  right away isn’t going to  fix that.

Re: bolded, same here, and I was a Broe fan back in the day.  It just feels like their time has passed, and as we've been saying here, Brady has waaaay too much baggage right now.

ITA on the rest of the above post.

8 hours ago, 4evaQuez said:

I just realized Brady is Claire's uncle and cousin. Why have I never put that together before?

Can someone help me on the cousin part?  I can't connect the dots.  

Uncle:  Brady is Belle's brother, so Belle's child (i.e. Claire) would be Brady's uncle

Cousin:  ???

P.S.  as I've posted a million times here, the characters on this show are too, too, too incestuous!

• Love 4
1 minute ago, norcalgal said:

Can someone help me on the cousin part?  I can't connect the dots.  

Brady's mom Isabella was Bo's sister (through Victor). That makes Brady and Shawn cousin, so he and Claire are 2nd cousins

• Love 3