Type keyword(s) to search

The Ellen Degeneres Show - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Jennifer Aniston was so annoying with Ellen. She kept tugging at her jacket like she wanted to cover up her big gut. What is she a size 0? I also noticed that she doesn't say very many words. She says 4 or 5 words then stops. I think she's overrated but seems nice.

• Love 3
53 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

Jennifer Aniston was so annoying with Ellen. She kept tugging at her jacket like she wanted to cover up her big gut. What is she a size 0? I also noticed that she doesn't say very many words. She says 4 or 5 words then stops. I think she's overrated but seems nice.

I stopped watching her interviews because her constant raking her hair drives me crazy.  (I don't think she's that smart ... just lucky!!!)

• Love 4

I normally don’t watch Ellen but I always watch the 12 Days of Christmas to see what she gives away. I also hate all things Kardashian but actually watched her interview with Kim today and it was a pleasant interview and Kim looked normal and stunning at the same time. Even her voice wasn’t as annoying as it usually is. It doesn’t mean I’ll ever watch her reality show but it’s Christmas time and I wanted to show I could be nice during the holidays. LOL!!!! Merry Christmas everyone!!!!!

• Love 2

Wow I always thought Ellen was a little bit nasty with all the practical joking and scaring people that’s the sign of a bully. But from what I just read about her not paying her employees and she’s worth $400 million whatever it is

what a bitch

• Love 11

I am the only one that is sick to death of Ellen's over-the-top glee with Andy's discomfort with things "body oriented".  I watch her for the kitty/dog videos & interviews, but I'm fed up with having to wait while she indulges her childish whims.  DVR only!!!

• Love 3

Ellen has been getting so much bad press lately regarding her true persona from people close to her.  She makes people on her daytime show uncomfortable, pokes fun at them and loves to scare people all the while exhibiting a sadistic, gleeful attitude.  I stopped watching her Games show because of the contestants not only being made to look silly or foolish but some of the games seemed downright dangerous.  I do enjoy the good deeds she does on her show helping out people or community organizations, but that doesn't make up for her underlying meanness.

• Love 9

I only watch occasionally now, but Why is Andy always standing outside the window?!  I know he is a director & social distancing & all that, but he looks creepy just standing out there in the garden looking inside.

• Love 3
(edited)

I find the backlash against Ellen to be over the top and unfair.  It is why I am so happy that I am a nobody that noone knows. Being a celebrity, there is this expectation to be perfect and wonderful at all times. Nobody is nice all the time, we all have our moments when we are not at our best.. I am sure Ellen has had moments when she was a bitch, who has not had those. She is a human and she is allowed to be flawed at times..

Edited by Pearson80
  • Love 5

I keep reading about how Ellen is not the person she pretends to be in public.  How is that possible?  I have watched her since her early days in standup.  She's always had such a kind and genuine manner about her.  I actually never thought she had a mean bone in her body.  NOW, all this?  It's really sad, if it's true.  Why are her friends and colleagues not standing up for her? 

I did check out her game show and I thought it was mean and dangerous. Not for me at all.  WHY would she do that?  That is concerning.  I just thought she had a weird sense of humor. Sort of like a juvenile. Now, I'm not sure.  

https://www.primetimer.com/item/Former-Ellen-DeGeneres-Show-staffers-describe-a-quot-toxic-work-culture-quot-dominated-by-fear-a0SER7

• Love 4

I stopped watching Ellen's show a long time ago, when I saw her "pranking"  guests, and laughing when they reacted with fear or panic.   It's just not funny to me, to get joy from scaring someone in front of an audience.   Some guests seem to experience genuine anxiety, and then they have to laugh along with the joke in order to save face.  

If people did that in school, we call  them bullies.   In a workplace, it could get you fired.  

She  exploits others' vulnerabilities, enjoys having the upper hand, and I guess her laughter at someone freaking out really bothers me.  The clips of people being scared live forever on the internet.  It seems so disrespectful and mean-spirited.  

• Love 10
30 minutes ago, tinkerbell said:

I stopped watching Ellen's show a long time ago, when I saw her "pranking"  guests, and laughing when they reacted with fear or panic.   It's just not funny to me, to get joy from scaring someone in front of an audience.   Some guests seem to experience genuine anxiety, and then they have to laugh along with the joke in order to save face.  

If people did that in school, we call  them bullies.   In a workplace, it could get you fired.  

She  exploits others' vulnerabilities, enjoys having the upper hand, and I guess her laughter at someone freaking out really bothers me.  The clips of people being scared live forever on the internet.  It seems so disrespectful and mean-spirited.  

Everything you said x 1000 ... it made my skin crawl & I didn't think it was (at all) funny.  I don't watch her show, except when she's doing a serious interview with someone that interests me.  I used to love the telephone calls she made to that "old lady" in Texas (?) ... that was hysterical.

• Love 5
On 7/17/2020 at 10:38 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

I keep reading about how Ellen is not the person she pretends to be in public.  How is that possible?

I think its called acting.  

• Useful 1
  • LOL 8
  • Love 4
On 7/28/2020 at 7:23 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

So, I just read there is an investigation into the Ellen Show, not game show.  I'm really speechless that it's gotten this far.  

I'm surprised it's taken this long.  I won't ever watch her show as I knew someone who worked on her show but she wouldn't go into details.  All she would say is that it was a horrible, toxic environment and that Ellen was MEAN.  The truth always comes out.

Edited by KLJ
  • Love 3

Apparently, it was common knowledge around the entertainment industry, but, if so, why was it kept so hush, hush?  Recall all the gigs like award shows she got, as well as awards?   I'm really bummed about it.  I would like an investigation so they can confirm the allegations.  Some perfectionists are labeled difficult, but, there's a difference.  I'd like to know exactly, what they are describing.  I did read that most people are not supposed to speak with Ellen or look at her.  I'm trying to figure out if that was due to the fact that she's on set trying to get her show recorded and if a lot of people are coming up to her to chat, it might make for a challenging situation.  So, I'd like to know what the real deal was.  Most talk show hosts get a fair amount of criticism.  Some of rightly so.  I'm thinking of Letterman, Carson, Kimmell, and Fallon. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, KLJ said:

I'm surprised it's taken this long.  I won't ever watch her show as I knew someone who worked on her show but she wouldn't go into details.  All she would say is that it was a horrible, toxic environment and that Ellen was MEAN.  The truth always comes out.

And that's what happens when the cat is out of the bag.

• Love 6

This is a woman who takes absolute joy and glee in scaring the life out of unsuspecting people. It should not be a surprise she's not that nice!

I think the best scenarios are where the main person is an easygoing approachable person who creates a nice atmosphere and environment but they have a second in command who is the ballbuster. The one who isn't afraid to hurt feelings to get things done. 

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 5
On 8/3/2020 at 11:22 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

Apparently, it was common knowledge around the entertainment industry, but, if so, why was it kept so hush, hush?  Recall all the gigs like award shows she got, as well as awards?  

Why? $$$$$$$$$$$$. The same reason that Harvey Weinstein got away with sexual harassment and rape for so many years, and that so many other predators and awful people in the entertainment industry and in everyday workplaces all over this country are shielded from the  consequences of their illegal actions in the workplace. Companies almost always value money over human beings.

I work in the field of employment law, and from many years of experience, I know that when an employee reports sexual harassment or some other kind of illegal discrimination, it is almost universal that the company closes ranks, protects the perpetrator, and retaliates against the reporter. "Internal investigations" are routinely bullshit when it comes to acknowledging the harassment/discrimination and often focus on blaming the victim.

• Useful 2
  • Love 7

Not that this excuses anything, but I remember seeing Ellen's stand up before even her sitcom and her persona was this low key and odd woman which I think is close to her real self, not this high energy, goofy dancing pixie the public's thinks of for the past 20 years. The person she had to be on-camera to be accepted after coming out. "Hey Middle America, I'm like your fun aunt! Don't be scared because I'm a lesbian! Let's just forget that and have a good time!" It's the trade off for not being femme on Daytime television.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Useful 4
  • Love 4
On 8/5/2020 at 11:18 AM, VCRTracking said:

I think the best scenarios are where the main person is an easygoing approachable person who creates a nice atmosphere and environment but they have a second in command who is the ballbuster. The one who isn't afraid to hurt feelings to get things done. 

Basically Larry Sanders' Artie.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 8/8/2020 at 12:59 PM, VCRTracking said:

And her show debuted the same year as Queer Eye For the Straight Guy. The "Gay Best Friend" was ubiquitous in romcoms. The whole thing in the early 2000s was "Gays can help you Straight America!"

I think that second show of hers lasted only a season. Probably less than that.

• Love 2

This is a change of topic, but with all the stories about her out there and all the clips .... I'm WONDERING ABOUT HER EARS.  In her earlier photos, her ears looked normal.  Now they stick out like Ross Perot's.  Did she used to have them pinned or something?  Or hearing aids or earpiece directions?

Second, to all those folks who don't like the scaring segments, the actors all been prompted... it's not spontaneous.  Actors see who can act the most "scared."

• LOL 1
3 hours ago, AuntieDiane6 said:

This is a change of topic, but with all the stories about her out there and all the clips .... I'm WONDERING ABOUT HER EARS.  In her earlier photos, her ears looked normal.  Now they stick out like Ross Perot's.  Did she used to have them pinned or something?  Or hearing aids or earpiece directions?

Second, to all those folks who don't like the scaring segments, the actors all been prompted... it's not spontaneous.  Actors see who can act the most "scared."

I've always had (what I thought were) normal to small ears, but as I get older & my haircut is shorter, my ears look bigger.  I think it's an ageing thing, but the hair style emphasizes it.  Also, I've noticed that old men seem to have big ears ... just sayin'.

I don't think her guests who get scared when someone pops out of the end/side table are acting.  Again, just sayin'.

• Love 4
On 8/22/2020 at 6:07 PM, AuntieDiane6 said:

econd, to all those folks who don't like the scaring segments, the actors all been prompted... it's not spontaneous.  Actors see who can act the most "scared."

I disagree. I have seen enough anxiety and panic, that I totally believe the reactions are real.

There have also been celebrities who have been upset when Ellen has embarrassed them with personal questions they did not expect. See for example Mariah Carey. Taylor Swift. They both talked about feeling tricked by Ellen revealing personal information.  That is consistent with her scaring people for laughs.

Edited by tinkerbell
  • Love 2
On 9/8/2020 at 6:26 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

Why are they proceeding with her show as if people STILL want to see her? She really is tone deaf.

https://people.com/tv/the-ellen-degeneres-show-premiere-date-pushed-back-amid-scandal/

Also, as hard up as they are for prime time content this Fall, why would you air this now?  At the very least put it online instead on Peacock, or try airing it in the Spring.  It's Ellen doing mean things to people and laughing at them.  Admittedly for a reward, but is it really a good look for her now?  

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 2
On 4/29/2020 at 1:59 PM, Medicine Crow said:

I watch her for the kitty/dog videos & interviews, but I'm fed up with having to wait while she indulges her childish whims.  DVR only!!!

Yes. I loved it when she did animal videos and sometimes the talented kids (like Brielle and Maci). And I'm not a big fan of "cute" kid things either.

Someone mentioned Ellen's ears (sorry I couldn't find the post to quote it) but dang her ears have gotten "outstanding". Like extra large pixie ears. 

Ears are on the top of my list of physical body parts that I just can't stop myself from looking at. Some celebs have ears that look ok. Others are not quite so blessed. Maybe Ellen's big ears are just more noticeable with her super short hair?

I don't know what to make of all the accusations against Ellen from people close to her. It's always hard to accept that someone you adored could actually be an Ahole. But that's life.

Someone mentioned Ellen's ears (sorry I couldn't find the post to quote it) but dang her ears have gotten "outstanding". Like extra large pixie ears. 

I posted the original comment!  A couple of posters mentioned that your ears get bigger as you age.  Who knew?

23 hours ago, AuntieDiane6 said:

I posted the original comment!  A couple of posters mentioned that your ears get bigger as you age.  Who knew?

I never knew that! Ellen isn't that old....60 maybe? Can't imagine how big her ears will be at 70.

20 hours ago, Nicmar said:

I went to Walmart last night and i never knew that Ellen is peddling her clothing there.

Does she really need MORE money? What does her clothing line consist of.....skinny jeans and casual jackets? 

19 minutes ago, chenoa333 said:

I never knew that! Ellen isn't that old....60 maybe? Can't imagine how big her ears will be at 70.

Does she really need MORE money? What does her clothing line consist of.....skinny jeans and casual jackets? 

I just happened to see the board above the clothing section as I was checking out, right next to Sofia Vegara... 

33 minutes ago, Nicmar said:

I just happened to see the board above the clothing section as I was checking out, right next to Sofia Vegara... 

Another untalented "celebrity" who also has a line of eyeglass/sunglass frames sold at various places like Lenscrafters, Anerica's Best.

I'm not ready to dislike Ellen yet. But I REALLY detest Sophia Vigara

Ellen DeGeneres is back, and just as she promised, she’s talking about it. The talk-show host returned to her studio during the COVID-19 pandemic to begin season 18 of her show, after fielding allegations of workplace toxicity and sexual misconduct among producers over the summer. Those allegations led to an investigation by WarnerMedia and three executive producers being fired, not to mention a few brave celebrities standing up to the Ellen-television complex and many more coming out in support of their talk-show-host friend. In her first monologue back, addressing a dystopian virtual audience, DeGeneres echoed apologies she previously made to her staff (minus giving the audience five days off). “I learned that things happened here that never should have happened,” she said. “I take that very seriously, and I want to say I am so sorry to the people who were affected. I know that I am in a position of privilege and power, and I realize that with that comes responsibility, and I take responsibility for what happens at my show.” DeGeneres continued, promising viewers, “We have made the necessary changes, and today we are starting a new chapter,” to applause.

200908-ellen-degeneres.jpg

• Love 1

I was very disappointed in Ellen's so-called apology on Monday's show.  She made it appear that she had little to do with the workplace toxicity which occurred over the years but rather blamed everything on others, specifically the producers who were fired.  During her apology, Ellen made about four very inappropriate insider jokes about the accusations that were not at all funny.  They were totally out of line while supposedly apologizing.

I don't know if I'll continue watching the show.  I do like certain parts of it but can never look at her again with the former respect I had.

And,  yes, I've noticed her ears are huge, which are only accented by the extremely short boyish haircut.

• Love 7

Yes, that was a non-apology. It was word salad. Which most likely means that yes, she's a horrible employer. The buck stops with her. My husband had a customer who worked for her, and said she didn't want people looking her in the eyes. So, she's not exactly going to go on her own show and admit that.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

I had to laugh that Steve Harvey was defending her, when he sent out a memo about the dos and "do not dos" on his talk show.  (Granted, I see his point, but it was still pretty douchey.) https://variety.com/2017/tv/news/steve-harvey-memo-staff-talk-show-1202423077/

While I am willing to believe she wants to make amends, the people who really need to hear and accept the apology is to the staff, both current and especially former.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 9/25/2020 at 8:09 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

I'm done with Ellen.  Next, please....................

Yeah...I don't want to believe any of it's true even though it probably is.

It's like being told Santa Claus is a serial killer. As for "next please..." there's always Drew Barrymore. LOL.

• LOL 1