Type keyword(s) to search

The Ellen Degeneres Show - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I think it was a fake situation with the college student.  Something awkward or different usually happens as a segue into the 12 Days of Christmas Giveaway.  There was another set up this season with two alleged contestants, and one of the contestants was hobbling down to the stage from an upper seat and was having to clutch at seats and people as she attempted to walk down the stairs in ridiculously high heels.  The contestant couldn't make it to the stage, and the action moved into the audience giveaways.

Yeah, that didn't strike me as a "joke" (if it was, she should have said something at the end "just so you know guys, we didn't really prank that student, she was a plant, etc.")

If I'm Ellen, I write a personal check for $10,000 to this poor girl.  She's great at giving away other people's money (as was Oprah) and both of them can afford to give away some of their own money as well (I'm sure they do, but here Ellen should make it right however she can).  Unless they found out the girl was somehow a fraud/scam???  Why else would they not give her the money?  So confusing!

I have loved Ellen for a long time, but I only watch her show occasionally now. I saw a segment on her scaring various guests. The whole thing seemed rather mean-spirited to me, and juvenile, in a bullying sense. Some people are more sensitive to being startled. And for anyone with anxiety, PTSD, someone jumping out at you can be truly frightening.

It's a good thing I'm not a celebrity, some of those "pranks" would have me collapse to the floor and cry. She's been lucky that people end up laughing, but I wonder if there might be a few celebrities who have ended up feeling humiliated or angry.

• Love 2

I've watched Ellen show a few times and I don't get why it's so popular. Everything is so predictable and unamusing, it seems like the purpose of the show is to show youtube videos of random kids doing random things and giveaways. And the audience is killing my ears.

I've watched Ellen show a few times and I don't get why it's so popular. Everything is so predictable and unamusing, it seems like the purpose of the show is to show youtube videos of random kids doing random things and giveaways. And the audience is killing my ears.

• Love 1

Okay, that was a really sweet show for Mother's Day. The giveaways were both useful and fabulous and the audience members were very happy and appreciative without going bonkers. Even though they usually make me cry, I also like remote videos from servicemen. The segments with Kristen/ Mila and Ashton/Dax were great.

The moms-to-be all looked so pretty and happy in the audience! Cute maternity clothes.

• Love 1

Ellen really screwed up by inviting Kanye West back on the show. I don't know which was funnier-Yeezy's delusions of grandeur, his going unchallenged for several minutes or the look on Ellen's face the whole time. Ellen should know by now that letting Kanye run his mouth without trying to stop him will backfire at the other person's expense, which it did, big-time. If Kanye really cared as much about giving back as he thinks he does, then he would do it without acting like a deranged asshole.

I deleted the episode without watching once I saw that Kanye was the guest, but I am curious exactly who Ellen thinks her demographic is. If I'm going by her audience members, viewers are strongly skewed towards white females aged 30-60. I'm one and I certainly have no interest in Kanye (or any rappers, if I'm being honest).

• Love 1

There is a rumour about Ellen losing her mind after the Kanye fiasco She was heard cussing at  and telling her producers that after his epic rant she never wants Kanye or "That Family" on her show again. Why have Kanye on your show when you know what he is like ( crazy rantings ) did she expect him to be all rainbows and sunbeams? 

I was at the Ellen taping with Kanye.  I have to admit I was disappointed when I found out he was the guest.  I am not a fan of his music, or anything else.  His connection with the Kardashian's is an automatic NO.  Ellen seemed really uncomfortable having him on.  I am kind of curious what she expected.  I will say that during the breaks of the taping, she did not show any displeasure or anger, albeit she did seem rather quiet and stunned by his going off.  The first part of the interview was awkward when she was asking about the family - having to pull answers out of him.  Then he started his cursing (used the f-bomb a lot), and Ellen's comment that it was going to be interesting to see how the show was edited to view his portion.  He also sucked at that 5-second game.  The majority of the audience hated his appearance and most were asking WTF.

• Love 2

Thanks for the summary, SoCal Mema. I imagine Ellen has a say in which guests are booked, so inviting him in the first place still seems very weird to me. I genuinely believe the guy's mentally ill.

Be interesting to see if she ever invites him back.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, RoxieBear73 said:

There is a rumour about Ellen losing her mind after the Kanye fiasco She was heard cussing at  and telling her producers that after his epic rant she never wants Kanye or "That Family" on her show again. Why have Kanye on your show when you know what he is like ( crazy rantings ) did she expect him to be all rainbows and sunbeams? 

I do not believe this for one minute.    She knows what guests are being invited and certainly has the biggest say in the decision!   She has no problem with the Kardashians,  they have all been on her show and Kris and Kloe more than once.   AND I am sure she knew she was in for something off the rails with Kanye. 

• Love 2

Thanks for the summary, SoCal Mema. I imagine Ellen has a say in which guests are booked, so inviting him in the first place still seems very weird to me. I genuinely believe the guy's mentally ill.

Be interesting to see if she ever invites him back.

She did not seem particularly bothered about his rant...she just sat quietly and let him go on and on.  Perhaps it's because she knew they could edit and filter what was needed.  It was almost as if she was pacifying him.  I've been to previous tapings and none of them ever had such an awkward guest.

It tickled me that Hillary was the second tier guest, just because political candidates are so commonplace on talk shows now.

Super fun episode, especially the bits with Kate McKkinnon's impressions of Ellen and Hillary and the vice president edition of Who'd You Rather. I also liked the bathing suits.

That was crazy!  Years ago there were stories going around about Diane and her craziness.  I guess it is so true.  She kept wiping her nose and then putting her hands in her glass and then a second glass (Ellen's?).  Very gross.

She is shy and very self conscious.  She hates interviews because of this.  I remember her on Oprah with the cast of a movie she had just completed.  She only spoke when Oprah spoke to her.  She loosens up with wine in Ellen's green room and comes out buzzed.  I think she also pushes it to allow herself to be witty, in other words acts more drunk than she is.  It is a role for her.  She is witty but has a hard time showing it in an interview.

I adore this woman!    

• Love 2

I love Ellen, the person, not the show.  I tape it and watch guests I want to see. She does an excellent interview. I  FF through most of it though.  The games, those in need getting $$ or car, heroes, pranks, etc.  

Don't know if anybody glances at this daily, but I have a question, please. I left the room for a second, and did not see what the audience was so excited about receiving from Lin-Manuel? Some were absolutely weeping. Was it just an early release of his new music ? I can't imagine all those people getting tix to 'Hamilton', and am very curious.
(The 'Ellen' web site did not say.) Thanks !

On 11/11/2016 at 8:14 PM, Chippings said:

Don't know if anybody glances at this daily, but I have a question, please. I left the room for a second, and did not see what the audience was so excited about receiving from Lin-Manuel? Some were absolutely weeping. Was it just an early release of his new music ? I can't imagine all those people getting tix to 'Hamilton', and am very curious.
(The 'Ellen' web site did not say.) Thanks !

The audience is returning for 12 days of giveaways.

Two paragraphs that really nicely displays why I love so much of this site. Snark without being cruel, praise without being sycophantic, personality of the writer without overwhelming the content, with a sharp observational eye and a fun clip to link it to.

I've found nowhere else that works those hard-to-balance aspects, especially from writers who aren't looking to hate-watch, instead criticising from a place of affection. I'm so glad this site exists - even in the small articles. Thank you.