Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E14: Jessa's Engagement

"You have Michelle and I's blessing."  Boob

OY!

No kidding.  Hey, TLC - take two!  Honestly, they left THAT in the aired program? It almost sounds racist. Boob speaks the way they sometimes made black actors/actresses speak in movies in the 20s and 30s. They almost exclusively played maids and other servant roles. "Yassuh, I's getting busy... yassuh!" 

And Boob? Your line is "You have OUR blessing, Ben..."

OMG.

Edited by NausetGirl
  • Love 2

My thoughts on tonight's episode...

I felt bad for Ben when he was trying to wrap the first clue. I cannot wrap presents. I hate trying to do it, and I can get cranky if someone makes comments about my attempts.

Ben and Jessa remind me of JB and Michelle the younger years. Jessa, imo, seems to be the hot cheerleader type, and Ben seems to be the dorky type high school guy who is happy to catch the hot girl.

Did Michele say Ben and JB are having a conference about Ben asking JB's permission to have authority errr... marry his daughter. 

The scene where Ben ask for permission was painful. Ben speaking skills d r o v e m e b o n k e r s.

I am trying to figure out who has the more of the hots for Ben-JB or Michelle.

No way in heck did Ben came up with the clues proposal idea by himself. I call JB and TLC having a hand in this.

Jessa's giggling got on my last nerves.

Jinger looks like a raccoon with her eye makeup.

Can Ben or Derrick groom their own hair.

Why were Jill and Derick shown at the end. Seriously...

The scene with Josh and Anna was painful. I call bs on him paying for the dinner.

It's so odd- no platonic front hugs but you can run your fingers through his hair or shave him, both of which are more intimate to me.

I was completely baffled by Jill shaving Derick before the wedding and saying Jessa was doing the same for Ben. Even more baffling was Joy styling Ben this week.

I can only guess that these young women are so desperate for intimacy within the confines of the courtship rules that they'll do anything to get it. Because any other reason for grown ass men to not handle their own grooming is absurd.

Edited by Squirrely
  • Love 8

Jessa totally defrauded me in her proposal dress. That was the snarky look on mullet... when she saw those knees! Those two are wayyyyy too comfy with each other. They have been busy already and i hope she gets even cockier as this engagement moves forward.

Her little sister's face made me so sad tho.:(

Edited by MarysWetBar

* That package.  God forgive me, but I laughed and laughed as that poor boy struggled to wrap a simple square box.  How do you reach the age of 19 without ever having wrapped a gift?  How does JimBoob restrain himself from kicking Ben's ass just for fun every single day?

* Mark this down as the second (?) time we've seen Ben in shorts.  Love those bold knees!

* Ben wouldn't have a chance in hell with Jessa in a non-fundie world.  I wonder if he realizes that.  How can she be this desperate?

* Another "special" proposal, full of scavenger hunts and mysterious journeys?  Does anyone just get engaged anymore without all of this drama?

* You know damn well that Ben did NOT plan 90% of this overly complicated, cross-county proposal himself.  He can barely string a sentence together.  I have to wonder what a girl as seemingly shrewd as Jessa thinks when she watches him struggle to express a coherent thought.

* Jessa's entire family was in on the proposal?!  Wow.  So much for intimacy.

* Full frontal hug!  Full frontal hug!  Full. Frontal. Hug.  It shouldn't be that momentous.

Edited by SuzyLee
  • Love 11

The whole asking for her hand seemed staged when he already agreed to a courtship. 

"The whole point is asking for her heart when Daddy has her heart is so he can give her heart to another man."  Eww. What amazes me is that the Duggars not only believe this nonsense, but a lot of my lightly religious (non fundie-living together before marriage) friends believe in the asking for the hand. 

A tablet is nice gift especially along with a ring. 

They can't hold hands for prayer, but Joy can finger-comb Ben's hair. Once again the completely arbitrary notion of what might lead people to sin boggles the mind.

Ben likes to rehash their old dates.  Example: Jessa had to make a hole in one because her parents took them golfing and Ben's sentimental. I can just see after they're married "Remember the time your parents handcuffed them together..."

In general I see Jessa having mixed feelings about the proposal in general. On the hand, she likes feeling treasured and the proposal probably made her feel special. On the other hand, she's a private person and the public being embarrassed was probably uncomfortable for her. I think she probably has mixed feelings about Ben too.

I would be soooo disappointed if I was expecting my love and I got my entire family instead. 

I didn't like the green shirt Michelle was wearing.

The Thorncrown chapel is lovely!!! The proposal on site was elegant, but front hug!

• Love 2

I'm watching the episode again & noticed what looks like a dark bra strap (should I dare say black?) showing thru Jessa's blouse. Looks like she has a white camisole over it. My, my, how was she able to buy a black bra? I can see her & Ginger in Victoria's Secret having fun like sisters should. Is there such a thing as Goddard approved undies? I'm guessing even a beige bra would be daring for those girls. But good for her & I hope I saw correctly. (I noticed it when they showed Jessa's back at the train station.)

I couldn't believe that he had to give his own MOTHER a side hug. I have seen the duggars do this too. WT almighty F?? They actually think they will be aroused giving their own family a real hug???

Edited by MarysWetBar
  • Love 4

I couldn't believe that he had to give his own MOTHER a side hug. I have seen the duggars do this too. WT almighty F?? They actually think they will be aroused giving their own family a real hug???

I have never understood this.  WTF do they think will happen if they actually hug their children?  Are they THAT afraid of child molestation?  Or is one of them an actual molester?

ETA:  BTW if they are THAT afraid of child molestation they just might be with the wrong sect considering what I'v heard about Gothard.

Edited by Shugardrawers
  • Love 3

I think this is exactly why Boob grilled Derick. Because he knew Derick could give him the answers he - as a Gothard-father - was supposed to get in order to sign over his daughter. Personally I believe high school graduate Boob and his traveling inferiority complex liked "putting it" to college graduate Derick as well. I don't think Ben will get the same interrogation from Boob. For one thing, imagine how Ben would answer him!

Excellent point.  It never occurred to me that he was grilling Derick to make himself look good. 

If he did ask Ben at some point, I assume it's going to be all about Ben's plans for the future, with no reference to what he's doing in the here and now. 

I'm glad that they showed the beauty of Eureka Springs. And while I loved seeing the town, I was surprised there was no Christ of the Ozarks or the passion play. Seems up Dugger alley

Covered in previous episodes.  The Duggars participated in the play.  It was tedious and excruciating.  I mean neat!  And special!

Edited by WTFFF
  • Love 5

I'm still laughing over Jinger and Jessa's reaction as that train of fools pulled into the station with those grinning idiots waving like maniacs. Then Jessa brought it home when she basically said "They're not Ben, but it's ok I guess".

And wow, that hug. If anyone needs me tomorrow, I'll be in confession most of the day.

• Love 6

I hear, "Some folks call it a sling blade. I call it a kaiser blade."

LOL.  Wonder if JD likes mustard on his French fries?  Lord mercy, he is creepy.  I bet his ideal woman is Michelle circa 2000. 

I actually saw chemistry between Jessa and Ben tonight.  Or maybe it was lust, who knows.  Still, Simple Ben is way too young and immature to get married.  He goes around with a dumbstruck look on his face all of the time.  Good luck in Duggar Land, Ben. 

• Love 2

I was impressed by the emotion Jessa showed at the chapel. She looked genuinely happy this was happening, said yes in a nice quiet voice (with no teeny bopper totally), and even teared up. Wow.  I didn't think she had it in her.

• Love 12

I was impressed by the emotion Jessa showed at the chapel. She looked genuinely happy this was happening, said yes in a nice quiet voice (with no teeny bopper totally), and even teared up. Wow.  I didn't think she had it in her.

I have to say the actual proposal part was really nice. Before the episode aired I predicted Bin was going to be a mush-mouthed mess, bungling his words and trying too hard to be over the top. He completely caught me off guard when he made a simple statement, then got down on one knee. Jessa isn't a gushy girl and I think she would have been uncomfortable if Bin launched into a five minute monologue before he popped the question.

• Love 8

How do you reach the age of 19 without ever having wrapped a gift

Because in their world, that's wimmin's work.  

Loved seeing Jessa's emotion at the proposal.  You can hear her breath as the emotion hits her and she starts tearing up.  I was happy for Ben in that moment.  Normally he drives me bonkers, but I was happy he got such a good reaction from Jessa after the proposal.  

I have to say, I'm still stunned at how icy Jill was at her proposal.  When that song started and it was clearly all about them, *I* actually teared up, and she's just standing there with a stupid grin on her face.  I know everyone snarks on that song, but I thought the lyrics were so perfect and really sweet.  I would've thought Jill would've been all-out crying but she just acted like it was any old date.  

I love Jinger.  I hope she finds a great boyfriend soon.  

• Love 2

No kidding.  Hey, TLC - take two!  Honestly, they left THAT in the aired program? It almost sounds racist. Boob speaks the way they sometimes made black actors/actresses speak in movies in the 20s and 30s. They almost exclusively played maids and other servant roles. "Yassuh, I's getting busy... yassuh!" 

And Boob? Your line is "You have OUR blessing, Ben..."

OMG.

Racist? Really? Wow. That's quite a leap.

• Love 2

I so wish the cameras had been on Jinger's face when they frontal hugged!  I doubt she went and told her parents, since she's so close to Jessa, but I bet once her parents saw that footage she got in trouble for not telling on Jessa!  Scandalous.  Seriously though, I'm so glad they did that.  You can tell they were so happy and it was just spontaneous.  It's completely ridiculous to see people getting engaged, saying I Love You, and talking about having babies.....accompanied by side-hugs.  Side hugs are so bizarre.  

I don't think that poster was saying Jim Bob was racist.....they were just pointing out how he said "You have Michelle and I's blessing" when it's supposed to be "You have Michelle's and my blessing".  

• Love 8

I loved the defiant hand holding during the prayer as well as the full frontal hug. J'Chelle's reaction to the hand holding was so over the top it would have made a good Saturday Night Live sketch. You'd have thought Jessa was giving Ben a lap dance the way J'Chelle carried on. In Duggarland that full frontal hug was also a major no no. Good thing J'Chelle didn't see that one or she'd have sent Jessa off for some serious re-programming on the spot. I'm with those who suspect raging hormones got the better of those two before the I Do's. If so, good for them.

Edited by Hpmec
  • Love 5

Racist? Really? Wow. That's quite a leap.

Yeah.  That's not how I heard it either.  He was trying to say Michelle and I.  Uneducated folks thinks that it's always "and I" when sometimes it's "and me".  So it just came out "and I's". No racism.  He should have just said, "You have our blessing".

• Love 2

I loved the defiant hand holding during the prayer as well as the full frontal hug. J'Chelle's reaction to the hand holding was so over the top it would have made a good Saturday Night Live sketch. You'd have thought Jessa was giving Ben a lap dance the way J'Chelle carried on. In Duggarland that full frontal hug was also a major no no. Good thing J'Chelle didn't see that one or she'd have sent Jessa off for some serious re-programming on the spot. I'm with those who suspect raging hormones got the better of those two before the I Do's. If so, good for them.

Please forgive me for the "totally" but I totally think they're going to have a full-term baby at 5 or 6 months. I was surprised how little J'Chelle freaked out compared to how badly she freaked out when Jill and Derick accidentally hugged at the airport. I'm with you on the good for them, too.

I can't believe I missed the frontal hug during my first viewing!  I was so focused on how they couldn't even give each other a small peck, even though they clearly wanted to.  I guess my silent rage made me miss another small victory for these two.  Watching again, that hug seemed so natural.  I hope they were able to sneak a few of those (and some kisses) in while Jinger was chaperoning.  Jinger is absolutely their greatest ally, she knows how stupid Jessa thinks these rules are.

• Love 3

The time waster scavenger hunt was pointless, but the actual proposal was quite lovely. And for two people who are pretty young, they acted like adults. Ben didn't try to make the question anything other than what it needed to be, and Jessa looked him in the eye and answered like a young woman in love.

And then FULL FRONTAL HUG!

Good for them.

• Love 8

I can't tell if JimBob is threatened by Ben or gay for him. I really can't.

I think he ultimately likes and trusts Ben more than he did Derrick (Derrick's older, has his degree, and has had a more typical life experience, is more threatening to JB, he and Jill moved quickly...and Jill was a daddy's girl), and he basically gave Ben his blessing when he moved Ben to live with them and move the relationship along.

But I also think he knew full well that his control over their relationship was just an illusion at that point - Jessa's already told him (and us) that "he's the one" and "I'm marrying that guy," changed her last name online months prior, and half-threatened elopement after Jill's wedding if JB was hesitant to "give another daughter away."

I can't help myself (and I'm ashamed), and I root for all of the girls - especially the girls who are shy (Jana) and spunky/tomboy (Jessa, Jinger, Joy) - but I'm rooting for these two. I'm glad they had what was a very long relationship for their culture (knew each other for a year and a half, courted for 11 months...ish, if she was really engaged back when she changed her last name on instagram and they held off for the show's plot lines), especially given Ben's age. I'm never crazy about kids getting married at 18 or 19, but people do it, and plenty of people make it. I hope he finds a good niche - whether a trade school (plumbers, etc make excellent money and don't need a degree), community college to a degree while working, etc - and that they make it. Jessa seems like she'll be fine ditching the things in her family that she doesn't buy into, if she can get enough exposure to the world now to evaluate it for herself, and with their personalities I'm not worried about Ben being "in charge of her." That doesn't look like that's their dynamic, even if they give it lip service. I can enjoy watching their relationship a lot more than Josh/Anna (then) or Jill/Derrick's because they've had time to get so familiar with one another (as much as they can). Their "sweetheart," "babe," and "I love you"s are natural, not an exciting novelty, which was so disconcerting to me with Jill and Derrick at the same time they were talking marriage. Ben and Jessa have a much better shot at happiness, especially with some celebrity to capitalize on if desired and TLC money, than most fundie marriages that are twice as quick and just as young.

Jinger is an awesome chaperone, slipping quietly to sit in the back, and while the scavenger hunt went on a bit too long - she was done at the park - the actual proposal was very sweet, simple, and genuine. I was thinking that they were really engaged earlier, and maybe they were and they kept Jill out for the show's timeline, but I'm not sure Jessa could act that well if this proposal was just for the show. Hope Jinger doesn't get in trouble for allowing the hug. (I'd be fine with the idea that maybe they reluctantly let Jessa set different standards for her relationship but want to fake the party line for the public, but Jessa seemed pretty defiant about than illicit prayer hand-holding.)

I LOVE that chapel where he proposed. It's actually on my list of elopement destinations.

Holding hands AND a lingering frontal hug! Good for them. I hate to give any props to JB, but he was remarkably chill about their hand holding (given their norms). With Jill and Derrick's frontal hug, I think I remember that being much more Michelle's issue too. But I'm not sure JB would have been so cool with Jill and Derrick holding hands, even knowing that they'd be engaged the next day. I love the possibility that Michelle never knew about this frontal hug until the show aired, after they were married so she'd have to suck it up.

I did also wonder about it being ok for Joy to be running her fingers through Ben's hair - though it sounds like both Jessa and Jill did the guys' hair and shaved them pre-wedding too, and it sounds like it's ok for Ben to be alone with Jinger (or at least, text or phone one-on-one with her), if she's the only one who knew the full scavenger hunt plan.

He can't even come up with legit clues. And how the hell is he paying for all of this he. Has. No. Job.!

TLC paid for it. Anything featured on the show - Jill and JB to Nepal, this proposal, likely Jill's dress and wedding - is paid for by the show.

While I'd love to see any of the kids break away, they're also smart to keep their own TLC money coming with their involvement since so far they're all taking as many kids as God gives them. And the girls likely inherited some exceptional fertility from Michelle. :-/ I don't wish fertility problems on anyone, but can't help hoping that some of them at least have normal, less fertility to naturally limit them to a more supportable family size.

• Love 3

Jessa 's silent refusal to let go of Ben's hand during that prayer spoke volumes. Without uttering a sound, she told her parents and the tv audience that she's an adult and will decide for herself what constitutes appropriate behavior. J'Chelle was thoroughly flustered that it happened on camera since she and Boob are so heavily invested in keeping up the charade that their children are happily obedient at all times. The frontal hug was equally deliberate, and it seemed obvious it wasn't their first. The girl has spunk. I hope for both their sakes that they continue to think independently and postpone the first baby until they are older and have an income that isn't dependent on Boob. One can dream, anyway.

Edited by Hpmec
  • Love 12
ttso20, on 04 Nov 2014 - 6:59 PM, said:

wait I can't remember are the full frontal hugs accepted when your engaged?? because if not they are breaking all kids of rules with their wild hand holding and now a frontal hug....what is the world coming to...

When I saw them do a frontal hug I was thinking "Hey! Are they allowed to do that?" LOL

I am still confused if they broke a Duggar purity rule. Is full frontal hugging something that is supposed to be reserved for marriage?

• Love 1

Well, they JB & MEeeChelle, have always claimed that they allowed their kids to set their own rules as to the amount of physical contact they will allow themselves before marriage, so they have absolutely no space to be appalled if/when the reality DOES turn out to show that some of them choose to hold hands, kiss, or whatever else prior to marriage or even formal engagement.

• Love 2

Because in their world, that's wimmin's work.  

Loved seeing Jessa's emotion at the proposal.  You can hear her breath as the emotion hits her and she starts tearing up.  I was happy for Ben in that moment.  Normally he drives me bonkers, but I was happy he got such a good reaction from Jessa after the proposal.  

I have to say, I'm still stunned at how icy Jill was at her proposal.  When that song started and it was clearly all about them, *I* actually teared up, and she's just standing there with a stupid grin on her face.  I know everyone snarks on that song, but I thought the lyrics were so perfect and really sweet.  I would've thought Jill would've been all-out crying but she just acted like it was any old date.  

I love Jinger.  I hope she finds a great boyfriend soon.  

I didn’t see Jill as being icy at all. Some people get super emotional when they’re happy, and Jill isn’t one of them. She’s more of a bouncing off the walls with enthusiasm type of gal and as such, I thought her reaction (“totally!”) to Derick’s proposal was umm, totally appropriate given her personality.

Overall I think I preferred Derick’s more low-key lunch leading up to the proposal over Ben’s Scavenger Hunt Extravaganza but count me as another one who was touched by how simple and sweet Ben’s actual proposal was. I’m not a fan of him at all and I still think his and Jessa’s relationship is doomed in the long run but I'm happy she at least got that dream moment.

One thing I found odd though was that Ben made a big deal about wanting to include Jessa's family on the proposal and yet unless I missed something or the show edited it out, Jill and Derick were conspicuously missing from all the action. I can sort of understand Derick not being included but I'm surprised that Ben didn't ask Jill to be involved like he asked Josh and Anna. I wonder if Jill felt hurt over being left out because I'm sure she would have loved to have been a part of her sister's engagement in some way. Hmm, on second thoughts maybe this explains why Jill has been trying to steal Jessa's thunder in recent months with the baby announcements? Personally I haven't seen it the same way but according to some people that's exactly what they think Jill has been doing. I guess if Jill felt really, really hurt over getting slighted by her sister and Ben over the engagement deal this could be her passive aggressive way of saying screw you to them. Or something.

ITA that was not their first hug. Jessa looked like she was ready to kiss him if she didn't have a million eyes on them.

I had to go into the prayer closet after witnessing MEchelle getting all hot and bothered hugging Bin. Why was she stroking his arm? That constitutes divorce talk and proof of what a huzzy MEchelle was in her younger years.

• Love 1

The time waster scavenger hunt was pointless, but the actual proposal was quite lovely. And for two people who are pretty young, they acted like adults. Ben didn't try to make the question anything other than what it needed to be, and Jessa looked him in the eye and answered like a young woman in love.

And then FULL FRONTAL HUG!

Good for them.

I loved the hug! I felt bad for them, though, because after the hug they needed to kiss. Not a suck-your-face-off moment, but a nice tender kiss. And you could tell both of them wanted that. But they couldn't because Jessa's parents have decided they can control the actions of a nearly 22-year-old <sigh>. I really hope they're enjoying their first week of married life.

• Love 2

I noticed that too. She also dressed up in her tan skirt when they went to dinner. I guess Grandma was washing the denim one.

What in Goodwill grandma hell was MEchelle wearing in one of her TH shots? It looked like a bad Christmas sweater reject. IDK I can't take the way she dresses. 

Guinn also had a t-shirt under what appeared to be a summer top and a sweater on top of that??? Seriously way too many questionable choices and her girls had summer dresses on with leggings underneath. They all looked ridiculous.

• Love 2

Okay -- it might just be me but when the hell did TLC turn into "The Duggars Network -- All Duggar/All Day". I swear it doesn't matter what time of day I turn to TLC there is one of their "special" programs airing . . .

• Love 3

He's threatened because he's gay for ben!

Ben has been defrauding him this whole time, how will he ever make another baby with MECHELLe when all he can think about is Ben's luscious hair?

Ewwwww eye bleach!

This was hands down my favorite episode of this season. Probably thanks to the complete lack of Mrs. Jill Dillard, who has thoroughly worked my last nerve this season. 

I enjoyed all aspects of the proposal, even if it was likely TLC-driven. I was glad to see that Ben made sure his family was included, especially considering that the proposal happened after the infamous Pa Seewald blog rant about fathers with excessive restrictions. 

It will be very interesting to see what the future holds for Benessa; I feel like they'll be some sort of extreme preaching duo, appearing wherever people will pay to see them. That thought is troubling given that I don't agree with most of what they say. Again, their future will be an adventure, I'm sure. 

I'm happy for Jessa and Ben though; for the circles they travel in, I think they're well matched.

We all know that since Bin has no job he and Jessa will be permanent members of the traveling stink bus crew. 

• Love 1

Maybe Jill chose not to be involved. Now that she's a Married Lady she has responsibilities and can't just take a whole day away from home without her headship. :-\ She probably had morning sickness, then she'd have to pack a lunch and take it over to Wal-Mart to eat with Derick, then back home, chores (with no one to help her) and time to make dinner.

Then again, maybe Ben knew there was no fucking way Jill would have made it through the day without crowing about being knocked up.

Maybe TLC already had a crew at her house capturing more all about Jill footage.

• Love 4

One thing I found odd though was that Ben made a big deal about wanting to include Jessa's family on the proposal and yet unless I missed something or the show edited it out, Jill and Derick were conspicuously missing from all the action.

Maybe it actually happened when Jill and Derick were still on their honeymoon?  

I am still confused if they broke a Duggar purity rule. Is full frontal hugging something that is supposed to be reserved for marriage?

Yeah, they weren't supposed to front-hug.  Courtship allows only side-hugs, and then with engagement you get to hold hands.  No frontal hugs or kissing until marriage.  At least that's what both Dill and Benessa were supposedly following.  Maybe Benessa changed things at some point and decided they would frontal hug before marriage, but that "talk" wasn't shown on the show at all.  My jaw literally dropped when they did that LOL.  

• Love 2

Does anyone understand why Bin made Jessa change clothes on the train? Presumably he knew that she knew that he was going to propose that day. Did he know that she would choose to get engaged in an outfit that he did not like? If the show explained, I missed it.

Jessa's engagement dress was rather snug, in addition to being knee-length.  You go, girl!  It was cute, but I'm surprised her sisters packed a black dress for her to wear for the proposal.  The khaki skirt/olive shirt combo she wore earlier in the day did look good.  Maybe she should look into becoming an "stylist" for fundi girls.  She could have her own YouTube channel on how to totally look awesome while being modest.

Jessa seemed to come off rude when she was collecting roses in the park.  That really reinforced how NOT into public displays she is.  They should have figured out another way for her to collect those roses.  

The possibility that Jill had bad morning sickness makes sense to me, though I don't think they'd ever reveal that on-camera.  

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 1

I think it's possible that TLC hadn't firmed up the schedule for the fall when the engagement was filmed. Maybe they didn't want to have married Jill/Derick in the mix when they would only have been engaged Jill/Derick in their timeline.

I also remember reading that Jill had severe morning sickness which usually peaks in the first trimester. So she may have been too sick.

• Love 2

Jinger is an awesome chaperone, slipping quietly to sit in the back, and while the scavenger hunt went on a bit too long - she was done at the park - the actual proposal was very sweet, simple, and genuine. I was thinking that they were really engaged earlier, and maybe they were and they kept Jill out for the show's timeline, but I'm not sure Jessa could act that well if this proposal was just for the show. Hope Jinger doesn't get in trouble for allowing the hug. (I'd be fine with the idea that maybe they reluctantly let Jessa set different standards for her relationship but want to fake the party line for the public, but Jessa seemed pretty defiant about than illicit prayer hand-holding.)

Do they ever discuss the effect the chaperoning has on the sibling relationship? Is Jinger expected to tattle on Jessa if Jessa does something like a 'frontal hug'? Is she supposed to confront Jessa? If she's not supposed to do anything then what's the point of the chaperone but if they put it on Jinger to tattle or confront then that just sets up for a big mess in the family. 

Edited to add... do they ever discuss the insanity of having a teenager in charge of engaged people?

Edited by 3girlsforus
  • Love 2

When I saw them do a frontal hug I was thinking "Hey! Are they allowed to do that?" LOL

I thought the same thing and I still can't remember if full frontal hug is ok after engagement or just after marriage.

ITA that was not their first hug. Jessa looked like she was ready to kiss him if she didn't have a million eyes on them.

I had to go into the prayer closet after witnessing MEchelle getting all hot and bothered hugging Bin. Why was she stroking his arm? That constitutes divorce talk and proof of what a huzzy MEchelle was in her younger years.

They totally wanted to kiss!! You could see it. 

In a normal house, the teen chaperone would have winked at the couple and left the room, then told Mom and Dad all was well. 

I don't get the tattling thing either. It seems to pit the siblings against each other, and will cause problems down the road. You won't trust your siblings, and will probably be afraid they are going to go running to Mommy and Daddy.

Bleech. This family gets on my last nerve.

• Love 1

I'm all about snarking on the Duggars, but I actually really liked Ben's proposal to Jessa (I def. like it better than Jill's).  The setting was beautiful, I like how Ben kept it short and sweet.  I loved how Jessa said softly and sweetly, "Yes" then gave a full frontal hug!  Jessa getting emotional got me emotional, yes, I cried watching the proposal..I didnt even cry when I watching Jill's proposal, so I def wasn't expecting to cry for Jessa's.  Even their little talk afterwards, "its beautiful" and "can't wait!" it all seemed really genuine.  Did anyone catch Jinger taking photos of them as they left the church?

• Love 7

Add me to the list that Bin didn't plan this or paid for it. How could he?

At his age & with his limited speech and knowledge, I can't picture him reserving the trolley & train including the meal. I'm sure that wasn't cheap. He could barely afford the dozen roses.

• Love 5

In a normal house there wouldn't have been a chaperone at all, and particularly not at a marriage proposal. My daughter is 21. Her boyfriend is 23. They are college seniors who live in the same apartment complex. If I demanded they have a third party with them at all times to assure they didn't hold hands, hug, or kiss, they'd suggest I get mental health help after they stopped laughing.

Edited by Hpmec
  • Love 3

I know many of us have commented about how dim Ben is.  And he does appear that way.  But I was thinking about my brother who would have appeared equally as dim as a teenager.  He was very awkward and inarticulate all throughout his teenage years.  But my brother grew up, got a masters degree in chemical engineering and has held upper management positions.  I'm really starting to think that Ben will mature and grow out of this awkward stage, if given a chance.  I hope he keeps up his education.

• Love 12