Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E06: Damage

I'm done.

This is dragging out horribly and it's the worst kind of television. I hate writing like this. No wonder EVC just wants it to end.

So do I.

And Nolan being mistreated by David? Nope. Nope nope nope nope nopity nope!

Edited by phoenics
  • Love 10

I couldn't even bear to watch Nolan getting eviscerated by David. And here I was thinking David had figured out Emily was Amanda but apparently, he really IS a moron.

At least Charlotte finally woke the hell up. And told Daniel the whole thing? I'm sad we didn't get to see that. And what's in the envelope Emily left in her purse?

• Love 6

David's the worst but Jack's partner is still annoying so hopefully he'll get killed off for investigating where he shouldn't.

Jack and Nolan should just run off and raise Carl together. They shouldn't put up with this shit and go find a happy ending somewhere else.

• Love 3

If this is what they're going to do with David, I wish he'd go back to being dead.  And it's starting to really irritate me that the writers aren't even bothering with any sort of consistency in what he does or does not know.  It's like they want him to be this crafty cunning guy when that suits the plot, but then he is an absolute moron when the need to get Emily and Nolan backed in to a corner somehow.  I had hoped that his relationship with Victoria was part of a scheme, but this Nolan thing is taking it Too Far.  

For a minute tonight, when it was getting weirder and weirder that Emily wouldn't tell David that she's his daughter, I was thinking that maybe she and David were working a secret revenge plot and hadn't told Nolan about it.  Which would suck, because poor Nolan has been treated like shit by her so many times and he's never been anything but loyal, but I was willing to tolerate it.  But this?  I don't believe Emily would let Nolan get treated that way, either on TV or in private.  And David punching him at home wouldn't make sense if it was all a ruse to get back at Victoria.  So, I don't even know what is going on, but it's stupid.  

And good riddance, Charlotte.  Here's hoping we don't have to deal with you much next week.  

Where is our smart revenge-y Emily who was always one step ahead?  How is Victoria beating her at every turn?  I'm just so annoyed with this show right now. 

• Love 4

If TPTB's endgame for David was that he's a good guy, they just shot themselves in the foot. Hurting Nolan is like hurting a puppy - you don't come back from that. I wish Nolan had blurted out on camera that the girl who got $500k and worked as a stripper was not the real Amanda, who is still alive and well and filthy rich. 

Based on what Charlotte said about Aidan's cause of death being an overdose - does that mean Emily pumped him full of drugs and "circulated" them after she found him dead on her couch, or did Victoria do that after she killed him? Charlotte may not be the brightest bulb in the chandelier, but I thought she did a great job taking her kidnapper out. And without Japanese revenge sensei training, to boot!

Is the girl with the fake southern accent going to stalk everyone connected to Victoria? She must have an actual motive rather than just being a psycho, yes?

• Love 1

Please, Show, make David be the bad guy the Graysons always said he was?  So that Emily can go revenge-y on him for lying to her all these years?  Otherwise I can never forgive him for doing that to Nolan.

What did Ben and Jack find in that garage?

• Love 1

Looks like David was living in the cops garage, it was the infinity symbol on the wall. 

I was rooting for that guy to kill Charlotte, I wish she'd just die already. David Clarke can go back to being dead too. This entire story with him makes the whole show a waste. Everything has been for nothing.

• Love 4

Where is our smart revenge-y Emily who was always one step ahead?  How is Victoria beating her at every turn?  I'm just so annoyed with this show right now.

Yes -  David is the good guy who got a raw deal, he's dedicated, sincere, caring.   Nolan is smart, loyal, with a touch of evil genius.  Emily is devious and clever and can out-wit anybody. 

What happened to those people, and why have they been replaced with a bunch of weenies?

• Love 14

As frustrated as I am with the DRAGGGGGGGING out of the David-Emanda reunion, I did think this was a good episode.

I HATE what happened to Nolan. Why can't he at least just say "Amanda's alive!"? That would at least partially explain things to David without revealing Emily before she's ready.

I do take some solace in the fact that when David finally finds out the truth, he is going to feel sooo stupid and ashamed for what he did to Nolan.

Charlotte may not be the brightest bulb in the chandelier, but I thought she did a great job taking her kidnapper out. And without Japanese revenge sensei training, to boot!

Charlotte has been pissing me off so far this season, but I admit I was really impressed (I thought to myself, "Damn girl!") with how she handled her kidnapper. Maybe ninja skills run in the genes? I also enjoyed the scene between Charlotte and Emanda...finally, the two sisters can come together with honesty between them.

Edited by calipiano81
  • Love 2

The best thing in the episode:

Victoria: "This girl is mentally unbalanced"
Daniel: "So she’s a friend of yours."

When they showed the shot of David walking up to his house with Victoria on the porch, the set looked so fake, it looked like a grade school production of Revenge.

I love Nolan, but he has GOT to stop with the whispering. It's driving me nuts.

David Clarke too, why is everyone whispering?

I knew what was going to happen at the interview, they couldn't have made it more obvious. David Clarke is a friggin' moron, I hope he dies soon.

Hopefully Charlotte is gone forever now, they could have her move away when she gets out of rehab.

• Love 3

This show is being so stupid. OMG, daddy is lying so I won't tell him who I am, even though he just hurt my best friend's reputation and his billion dollar company!

Nolan should have just told him on live tv. Her friendship isn't worth all the crap he has to go through. David even triggered Nolan and now he's having daddy issues. Writers, stop being so lazy.

• Love 6

Damn it, I was willing to give the show the benefit of the doubt and hope that David was playing Victoria but now that he has punched Nolan, he can fuck right off. Nobody gets to hurt Nolan! I saw David ambushing Nolan on live tv coming a mile away. The second he asked Nolan to be there for support, I knew he was going to screw him. But when Nolan was crowing to Victoria about how close he and David were, I knew it was going to be bad. Come on, Nolan. You know better than to jinx yourself like that!

Jack's partner is an insensitive ass to question a dead man's daughter at a wake. Dude, at least try to be a little more subtle!

I kind of loved Louise's cheesy imagined meeting with Victoria. She really is cuckoo but I'd rather have her wacky shenanigans than more of David being a moron thinking that Nolan stole Amanda's inheritance and that Victoria is A-OK.

Totally loved Victoria's reaction to Charlotte saying she was going to rehab. Girl, everyone knows you need to go to rehab! Notice how no one's reaction was, "Gee, Charlotte, don't you think you're overreacting? You don't really need to go to rehab!" Hilarious when she told Emily that she just did a little bit of coke the night before.

Am I a horrible person because when Charlotte tried to make a break for it and that guy initially got her back down on the floor so easily, I was hoping she would finally die? And of course Charlotte is such a self righteous bitch that she calls Emily for help and then proceeds to tell her repeatedly what a terrible person Emily is. "I only called you as a last resort. I thought after everything you've done to me, the least you could is help me cover up this accidental murder. By the way, I just assumed you are a cold blooded killer who murdered her own boyfriend. I bet your kick puppies and eat babies too. I know you're ashamed of what a shitty person you are and that's why you don't want to see our father yet. It's not like my mother has actively prevented you from getting within fifty feet of him. Nope, it's your guilt that's voluntarily keeping you from seeing him. Hey, thanks for teaching me all these tricks about how to create a crime scene and put the blame somewhere besides myself. I'm sure that will come in handy soon."

Emily's handwriting on that envelope was hilarious. On the other hand, I guess I should just be impressed that she knows cursive. I feel like almost everyone under 30 just prints everything. Isn't it a little incriminating for Emily to write "to my sister" on a letter to Charlotte? I can't imagine what else Emily could possibly tell Charlotte that would be so shocking.

You know, I'm glad that Sammy didn't live to see this mess.

David Clarke too, why is everyone whispering?

Because everything is a secret!

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 7

David has some nerve coming into Nolan's house like that. "His money" didn't pay for Nolan's house. He invested what is probably the hedge fund executive equivalent of $5 and from there Nolan's entrepreneurial genius did all the rest.

It is actually becoming ridiculous that characters don't lock their doors at all- it's not just an aesthetic feature anymore, major plot points are literally hinging on characters being too stupid to have basic security. And if Nolan is going to keep this secret (which he really, really shouldn't) then he needs to stop playing the weak little lamb and start owning what he's supposedly done.

I did really enjoy this episode, mostly for Louise who's scenes are all amazing. I think I actually love her more than Tyler. She's the epitome of camp soapiness. With Charlotte apparently leaving can they please make Poppet a regular? Conversely I'd be happy if I never saw another scene with Jack and Ben ever again. Their police bullsh*t is awful

And the writers really need to understand what makes a good cliffhanger.

Good cliffhanger = Charlotte telling Daniel that Emily is Amanda Clarke.

Bad cliffhanger = Emily finding out some bland non-info we already guessed about David Clarke and Daniel's reaction happening off-screen.

Edited by GuyAwks
  • Love 2

Yes -  David is the good guy who got a raw deal, he's dedicated, sincere, caring.   Nolan is smart, loyal, with a touch of evil genius.  Emily is devious and clever and can out-wit anybody. 

What happened to those people, and why have they been replaced with a bunch of weenies?

Exactly! I cannot stand this mess. I HAAAAAAATE dragged out storylines and stuff where the mess could be cleaned up if only they'd have the characters talk to one another. What I loved about Emily is that she was always one step ahead - you couldn't get the drop on her except in very rare occasions and it was AWESOME!!! But this Emily? NO! And poor Nolan! I would have outed Emily Thorne as fast as I could... and I would be full on raging at Emily for not just telling David the truth! This whole stupid plot would be overwith.

And that's why this whole thing falls apart and proves that the writers suck. When your plot depends on two pivotal characters not talking and one of the characters KNOWS the other is alive - you're a VERY BAD WRITER. Emily's reasons for not telling David make no sense - and it's only going to piss fans off if she finally tries to tell him and he dies or something and they never get any kind of reunion - especially if Victoria gets away scot-free.

I think this show has jumped the shark.

• Love 6
And that's why this whole thing falls apart and proves that the writers suck. When your plot depends on two pivotal characters not talking and one of the characters KNOWS the other is alive - you're a VERY BAD WRITER.​

Yes - it just doesn't make any sense at all!  Emily won't tell David the truth because "he's too fragile"?  WTF, he's not too fragile to walk in and punch Nolan right in the face, after engineering an interview where he totally blindsides Nolan with a bunch of false accusations.  Poor Nolan.  What exactly is keeping this secret accomplishing, from Emily's point of view?  It's just dumb, and it's manufactured tortured "drama", which is ridiculous when there could be actual organic drama if they just follow the damn story lines that they already set up.

/possibly too invested

• Love 4

I am in such agreement about how frustrating this all is--the combination of David not actually being clever at all, the fact that Victoria wins for the moment yet again, the fact that Nolan has to take the fall yet again, the fact that Emily has worked her butt off for revenge for her father who is actually a stupid idiot and somehow has no idea she is alive but seems to know so many other things.

Ugh.  Can't stand any of it.  If they truly drag this out, I have no words to describe how bad the show will be for me this season.

• Love 6

Amen to everything that's been posted here.  (Hope I can say that -- I got spanked on TWoP for that same thing, but we all seem more friendly over here.)  Plus, let me add: What in the world is the Margaux character doing now in this show?  She has no role whatsoever in anything.  She wears nice dresses and talks on the phone.  Why is she getting camera time but no plot line?

• Love 7

I'm just over this shit. Let me get this straight-so you go to your friend's house and see that your dad has cold cocked him onto the floor and don't run after him to explain anything because Dad is too "fragile". That mofo aint fragile. He's a beast.

Emily is becoming a punk ass.

Jack-I am not here for you to be a police officer right now.

Nolan-Love you but you should have gone off on David during that interview. I gives no fucks about loyalty when I'm getting accused of some shit I didn't do. Speak up fool.

Charlotte-Bye girl bye.

• Love 3

I was hoping that when David got to Nolan's house he would say "Sorry that I humiliated you on live TV but I had to throw Victoria off the trail.  Now, take me to my daughter."  If they had to bring David back from the dead, couldn't they at least have made him smart?

• Love 14

I was hoping that when David got to Nolan's house he would say "Sorry that I humiliated you on live TV but I had to throw Victoria off the trail.  Now, take me to my daughter."  If they had to bring David back from the dead, couldn't they at least have made him smart?

I was hoping for that as well. Every time he talks to someone other than Victoria I am waiting for that to happen.

• Love 2

David has some nerve coming into Nolan's house like that. "His money" didn't pay for Nolan's house. He invested what is probably the hedge fund executive equivalent of $5 and from there Nolan's entrepreneurial genius did all the rest.

Thank you. Nolan should've said, "Hey asshole, if you want to be repaid back your initial investment I can make that happen, but slow your roll on all of this other bullshit."

I really need all of these morons to get hit with a pillowcase filled with oranges. Also the writing on this show, never strong, has gone completely off the rails.

And yet...I'm still watching, so who's the sucker?

• Love 3

Plus -- and I'm getting irate now --  WTF with David's selective amnesia?  He was brainwashed so he remembers some things, but not others.  How stupid is that?  

If it turns out that any of this is the work of The Iniative, I'm going to fly to Hollywood, find the writer, and beat him with a crowbar.

ETA: Just read "pillowcase full of oranges."  Very funny!  but I want to do permanent damage...

Edited by FineWashables

"Victoria's" face is so distracting - it doesn't move and I can't stop looking at it when she is on screen.  Why oh why do they do that to themselves.

But, if the show was even 2% of what it was the first year, I wouldn't be so distracted by something so petty and trivial.

It's a shame they took this direction with David - it could have been somewhat interesting otherwise.

Not even interested in seeing it through; did see the ratings - I'm guessing it is toast anyway?

Apparently not, he is so disappointing.  I mean, really, really disappointing.  My last hope is that he has some master plan that somehow involved fooling everyone, and making sure they believe it.  Maybe he is just some master chess player.  My hopes are fading fast, because I can't see why it would be necessary to go back and punch Nolan, unless he is suspicious and thinks Emily is his daughter, but isn't sure, and wants to smoke her out by punching Nolan to see how she reacts.  But I don't like him punching Nolan at all, I don't like him blindsiding Nolan on national TV, but thats the only thing I can think of.

And goodness, I didn't think Charlotte could get any more annoying.  And then this episode came along.  She is such a whiny hypocrite.  She only called Emily, because that was the only person she could call, and then she had the gall to get an attitude with her.  I'm glad Emily finally set her straight.

• Love 3

If TPTB's endgame for David was that he's a good guy, they just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't think this is their endgame at all. I think their endgame is to show that "revenge" is a stupid "never ending cycle of hate" to quote Charlotte whom I actually enjoyed this episode (surprise). Revenge, begets more revenge, and so Victoria and Emanda are stuck trying to hurt each other and in the end, no one really wins. Emily is finding out that her dad wasn't this "pure angel" that deserved all the vengeance she has been dishing out. No, like everyone else it's turning out David is a vengeful liar, murderer, and who knows what else. His character is so shady though so it's unclear what wrenches the writers are going to throw at us.

I know it's contrary to most, but I actually thought this was the best episode the show has had in a while. Then again, I don't see Nolan as this innocent bystander but as an active part of all the collateral damage he and Emanda have created. He just got his comeuppance for all the lies and hate he has been a part of. He has had many opportunities to speak the truth and drop the charade, but he's still covering for Emily against his better judgment. It's too bad the person whose delivering his 'punishment' for his sins is the person he admires most and whose daughter he has sacrificed himself to protect.

Edited by Beebee111
  • Love 2

Yeah,  I guess that's my big disappointment, that David comes across as slow-witted, and easily led around by Victoria.  

I want Emily to realize that the daddy she's been longing for all these years has turned out to be ordinary.   There's nothing special about this guy, he's so AVERAGE, he almost disappears.  Emily was so focused on clearing his name,  avenging his death, now that she sees him for who he is, What?  

OK, you're not dead, your name is cleared, I'm done, have a nice life. 

Edited by backformore
  • Love 1

What have the ratings been lately? Bad? Final season bad? I would love to see at least 1-2 more seasons but only if they're smart about it. I'm really hoping there's a master plan here because how can the writing go from SO good to SO bad? And not just bad but cliche soap predictable bad? I loved Charlotte this episode and it's been a very long time (season 2 w/ Declan) that I've liked her. I don't like bitchy Charlotte but the defending nice Charlotte. Stop making her a bitch and get her on Emanda's side please. The only two I enjoy watching now are Emanda and Nolan. The rest is just not making any sense right now.

I don't think this is their endgame at all. I think their endgame is to show that "revenge" is a stupid "never ending cycle of hate" to quote Charlotte whom I actually enjoyed this episode (surprise). Revenge, begets more revenge, and so Victoria and Emanda are stuck trying to hurt each other and in the end, no one really wins. Emily is finding out that her dad wasn't this "pure angel" that deserved all the vengeance she has been dishing out. No, like everyone else it's turning out David is a vengeful liar, murderer, and who knows what else. His character is so shady though so it's unclear what wrenches the writers are going to throw at us.

I know it's contrary to most, but I actually thought this was the best episode the show has had in a while. Then again, I don't see Nolan as this innocent bystander but as an active part of all the collateral damage he and Emanda have created. He just got his comeuppance for all the lies and hate he has been a part of. He has had many opportunities to speak the truth and drop the charade, but he's still covering for Emily against his better judgment. It's too bad the person whose delivering his 'punishment' for his sins is the person he admires most and whose daughter he has sacrificed himself to protect.

I think that if you're bought into the idea that Emanda and Nolan are "bad", then what you say makes sense. I haven't bought into that idea, so I can't really agree with what you're selling here. I do agree that "revenge begets more revenge" and that it only causes a never-ending cycle of more revenge - and I supposed I could almost agree that Emily and Nolan are in this area of revenge - except in most cases when Emily/Nolan dished out revenge - they only set up a situation and allowed the person to do him/herself in.

It's EXACTLY how Alexander Dumas wrote it in his book - I don't get the "Emanda is baaaaaad!" logic given how she only gives people enough rope to hang themselves - and they hang themselves on their own.

Charlotte - though she irritates me to death - was 100% right when she told Victoria that Pascal was killed because of Conrad - not Emily. Emily merely set the players up to do what the players ALWAYS do.

Revenge via entrapment. Works for me.

I think some who have theorized that David may end up taking the fall for everything Emily has done (though why would he need to? Emily hasn't done anything to need David to take the rap for - what's Victoria going to do? Try to have her arrested?) - may have a point, but honestly David bores me.

I want Emily to get her Revengey-mojo back. This contrite Emily is boring me to death - honestly I still don't understand the ire some have for her - and the comparisons to Victoria (trying to make Emily out to be the same or just as bad) don't jibe with me.

Bring back smart Emily who always had a plan and who was always 2 steps ahead of everyone else.

Edited by phoenics
  • Love 2
What have the ratings been lately? Bad? Final season bad?

They're pretty low, but so are most of ABC's shows.  TV By the Numbers is currently calling it a toss up.  I like shows to go out strong, so I'd rather they say up front this will be the final season, then let them go crazy with the final schemes.

Bring back smart Emily who always had a plan and who was always 2 steps ahead of everyone else.

Yes, please.  At least she showed some smarts this week when she figured out David was lying.  I am guessing super-planning runs in the family, since David's detailed set up of that bunker he was supposedly kept in seemed like something S1 Emily would have done.  Except she wouldn't have missed the rust.

I really don't get what David is supposed to be thinking.

• Love 1

"Did anyone else catch the headline on one of the clippings in the file Charlotte found?

"Why David Clarke did it - and why!"

No, I'm not kidding."

I did notice that! Hilariously bad. I almost hope it was intentional because it would just be pretty sad otherwise.

• Love 1

It's EXACTLY how Alexander Dumas wrote it in his book - I don't get the "Emanda is baaaaaad!" logic given how she only gives people enough rope to hang themselves - and they hang themselves on their own.

Exactly. Emily's revenge has never really seemed that vengeful because she- well, hasn't really done that much. Lydia was the one who slept with Victoria's husband. Bill was the one who bet his company's fortune on flimsy hearsay. Dr. Banks was the one who taped her patients sessions. Judge Barnes was the one who beat his wife. The Falcon was the one who broke government hacking laws, and so on. Emily just exposed them for it.

There are exceptions, like Emily staging an orgy to get Father Paul fired, or burning down Mason's house. But for the most part Emily has been more hero and less anti.

If the show had been written more adventurously then Emily could have been more of a Dexter figure and the comparisons between Emily and Victoria would be sound. But yeah, I don't think we'll ever have reason to take Victoria's victim complex seriously.

• Love 1

Why didn't Nolan turn the tables on David in the interview? Have him point the finger at Victoria ' And just what was your lady love doing when young Amanda was in trouble? ' Tired of Victoria acting like the victim of Emily,

Could David be more stupid?

• Love 3

There have been 3 shows that I've watched where the writing got so bad that I genuinely wished for its writers to be permanently blacklisted from any kind of Hollywood writing career. They are Glee, Scandal, and now Revenge.

Seriously, this shit is just bad. It's not so-cheesy-it's-awesome bad, it's not oh-they'll-improve-soon bad, it's just flat-out disgracefully lazy, cheap writing. There is absolutely no logical, sane reason Emily can't tell David who she is, especially now that Nolan has been hurt. But that's how the writers are rolling because, well, they can't write for shit.

And they're probably going to have David harbor some massive secret that will excuse his mind-numbing stupidity and wrap it all up with a cheesy reunion with Emanda and apologies to Nolan, but you know what? Screw that. No payout is worth all these crappy, crappy episodes. Here's hoping ABC cancels this dreck.

• Love 4
You know, I'm glad that Sammy didn't live to see this mess.

HA!

Me too. Please, let this end soon.

Did anyone else catch the headline on one of the clippings in the file Charlotte found?

"Why David Clarke did it - and why!"

No, I'm not kidding.

I did.  Sloppy.

Seriously, I hope that this IS the final season, and that they know it beforehand.  Because I cannot take much more, but I also have no ability whatsoever to stop watching.  And if it gets canceled with no time to wrap up the story I will never have closure and feel this way for infinity times infinity.

• Love 2

Well, add David to the list of people I hate on this show. I'm running out of people to actually like.

Still hate Charlotte, even when she went against mommy dearest. Not eligible for redemption.

Also not eligible - Victoria. Don't feel sorry for her one bit. When she was all teary eyed about missing David I was shouting at the screen David - ask her what happened to Amanda after you were arrested!

David is an idiot who hurt Nolan, not redeemable either.

Jack's partner. Don't get why he is on this show

Margeaux - see above

Crazy woman obsessed with Victoria - see above

Daniel - shot Emily, so not redeemable

Jack - on the edge  of being useless

Emily - get a spine girl!

Nolan - continues to be my favorite, but should have made the big Amanda is alive reveal on live TV. That to me, would have been better writing than what actually happened.

• Love 1

At this point I wouldn't be surprised if David is in fact guilty of terrorism and Conrad took all the blame while he sleeps with Victoria and laughs about it, then Emily will find out and finally kill him for good? please?

• Love 3

I really hope that's the last we see of Charlotte. But I'm sure she'll be back so she, Victoria, and David can be one big happy family.

So very tired of watching Emily lose the people she loves while nothing happens to Victoria. I don't count Pascal. After hating him for a few episodes he's suddenly the love of her life. After the artist. And David. Has this season's crop of writers watched the previous seasons?

At this point I fully expect the series finale to reveal that Ashley and Tyler have been running things this whole time.

I don't know why, but this just popped back into my memory. Anybody else remember how Emily can't have children anymore? They seem to have (thankfully) dropped that storyline. 

I don't know why, but this just popped back into my memory. Anybody else remember how Emily can't have children anymore? They seem to have (thankfully) dropped that storyline.

I don't know if I would consider it dropped but since Aidan is dead and Emily has no prospects at the moment, it's not exactly a hot issue.

I doubt we've seen the last of Charlotte either but they managed to do a fairly credible salvaging of the character. Not saying she's redeemable but before, I was so disinterested and disgusted by her, I wanted her dead. Now I'm interested in followup on her if they choose to. But if not, I won't really cry about it, though.