Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E04: Slabtown

halgia
  • Start Topic

Well, I think an argument could be made that wildlife (snakes, squirrel, birds etc.) would fall under the 'hunt and eat' category a little more easily than "hey, I had one of these as a pet growing up!". :) 

Also, didn't the doctor imply that guinea pig didn't really taste particularly great? I took her reaction as a mix of "yeah, this doesn't taste good" and "don't be rude and say it's terrible...he just fed you!"

• Love 2

I think presentation matters. A friend went to Peru and was served GP - whole, lying on it's back with its skinny little legs sticking up in the air. My friend was mildly freaked out.  Looks like the chef at the hospital may have been from Peru. At least cut the damned thing up!

• Love 3

When I was a little girl, my mom was in the hospital and my dad took me out for dinner.  He had an extremely weak stomach.  They brought his lobster out intact and facing him - tentacle eyes, arms claspers, etc.  He grabbed my hand, paid the bill, and we left ...... hungry.

• Love 3

When I was a little girl, my mom was in the hospital and my dad took me out for dinner.  He had an extremely weak stomach.  They brought his lobster out intact and facing him - tentacle eyes, arms claspers, etc.  He grabbed my hand, paid the bill, and we left ...... hungry.

that story is funny...and sad!

We have cast-iron stomachs in our family; my parents would have each sunk their teeth on opposite ends of the lobster and met in the middle.

Like Lady and the Tramp.

• Love 5
We have cast-iron stomachs in our family; my parents would have each sunk their teeth on opposite ends of the lobster and met in the middle.

Like Lady and the Tramp.

Mine too. With an additional side of morbid, soul-crushing humor. The first time I ate venison, my mom waited until I was halfway finished and told me I was eating Bambi. I was 7 at the time. I finished it, and then wouldn't touch venison again until I was in my twenties.

Edited by Rosiejuliemom
  • Love 2

Mine too. With an additional side of morbid, soul-crushing humor. The first time I ate venison, my mom waited until I was halfway finished and told me I was eating Bambi. I was 7 at the time. I finished it, and then wouldn't touch venison again until I was in my twenties.

Ooh; eeeerie! My mom did the same thing with horsemeat. Only she didn't tell me till I was completely finished.

At least that explains how we turned out like this!  :-)

• Love 2

I come from country folk. When you've gone through the entire cycle of life with an animal - from bottle-feeding the runt piglet of the litter, to the hog slaughtering, to pork chops on the plate - it introduces a great deal more pragmatism to your palate.  :>

• Love 2

They brought his lobster out intact and facing him - tentacle eyes, arms claspers, etc.

I cannot eat meat if it looks like the animal it came from. Probably why the only seafood I eat is battered fish. A white square surrounded by flaky crust bears no resemblance to Nemo! I have to look away when I'm dining with people who eat lobster or crab and they have to fucking break the poor thing's shell to get to the meat. I just...can't.

At a friend's wedding, they served fish. It was literally a fish on a plate. They had sliced its side and lifted the flap of skin so that you could take some. The fucking thing was staring at me accusingly. I passed on that dish. So fast.

Bob's leg (the pieces they were eating, not the part on the bbq) looked more edible to me than that guinea pig on a plate. How sad is that?

Ooh; eeeerie! My mom did the same thing with horsemeat. Only she didn't tell me till I was completely finished.

At least that explains how we turned out like this!  :-)

My mother did this to me for fried eel (we were in Japan).

• Love 1

Y'all are making me nostalgic for my long gone ex.  He always cracked my crab for me.  With his bare hands.   :-)

Minds out of the gutter, children!  I was being literal, for once.

I've had a lifelong aversion to any meat that tastes gamey (or organy), so it's fish & poultry for me in the ZA.   I'll be the one hoarding all the canned tuna, because the cats and I can share that stuff!

• Love 1

We were having fried chicken, I looked at my chicken leg and looked at my sister's chicken leg and I declared "there's something funny about your chicken" and she started to cry. "Its got knees!" Turns out my dad was having frog's legs and they decided to slip some to my sister to see if they did indeed taste like chicken to us. So as long as Bob's leg doesn't have a knee I can probably choke it down. Wait the people eaters were bad. 

Bwah, a friend's folks did that to me with raccoon. They didn't get their anticipated freakout though, it tasted like stringy roast beef to me and I have zero moral qualms about killing vicious pests, so I just dug back in. Though as a former guinea pig owner it'd probably take a zombie apocalypse to make me eat something presented with such a clear resemblance to my former pet.

I friend of mine travels extensively for work and one of his rules is to choke down whatever he's served when in the host country.  So when he was served dog he gamely soldiered on and then went back to his hotel where he promptly vomited and broke down and cried.

• Love 3

I just wish this story followed a character I was more invested in; I'm really trying to care but Beth seemed content until someone else mentioned trying to escape. The other women on this show would have only needed half a needle, the pole from the IV bag, a stick of gum and sunlight.

Actually, Beth was never content with staying. After the officer said he was going to keep track of all she ate, Beth stopped eating, which is why Dawn tried to convince her to eat. Just because she wasn't obvious about her plans to leave doesn't mean that didn't think about escaping. I think we also have to keep in mind that just because the other women would react different ways doesn't mean that Beth has to behave the same way. Why can't she be different from them and still be strong and want to escape?

I agree. I felt like all of the acting was pretty blah. If you're going to bring in a whole new crew of characters, they're going to have to have some real 

I just didn't get the point. Why were they saving people? Just to put them to work? Is it really that hard to iron nurse uniforms? I was just expecting more - experiments, trying to impregnate women and repopulate the earth, something. I wasn't getting a clear motivation behind this group of people and their setup. Nothing that was interesting anyway.

They were saving people to establish order for when they are "saved". Dawn needed structure for the sake of her sanity and others--it was a way of contributing to the life they would eventually return to. The other officers may have believed this just a little bit, but they also got off on the power and assaulting women and being protected because of their authority. As others said, it's the study of human nature and how we are scarier than the zombies.

I think Beth is the right choice for an everywoman heroine, but EK's precious eyes stare is frustrating.  It's not like we're seeing wheels turning in her head, or machinations being schemed, or plans laid out.  They're just these wide, dead, blue pools of nothingness.  I like the character-type; wish the actress made better choices.

This may be false, but I'm at the point where I believe this is intentional. Some people really have wide, dead eyes not everyone is expressive and we can see thought formulating. 

For Beth, what is her problem exactly? Why can she not just enjoy her stay there for a while, keeps her head down and relax? She has been on the road in high-stress high-alert condition for a while. If she escapes, then what?

Beth is quiet and hard to read at times, but I think after living with Rick and co. for so long, she picked up that something wasn't right. Rick allowed people to leave and, although he wanted them to contribute, he wasn't instilling fear in them and forcing new people to basically be slaves--that's what this group does. Rick didn't beat people for disobeying simple orders, it's either you follow the rules or leave. It's something very troubling about a place that is supposedly a safe place to live unless you want to leave or disobey them. IF she escapes, she has more agency over her life even if food, water, and safety is on high alert. 

This ZA world is full of weak people, the balance is finding interesting weak people and to me, that is not Beth. No one loves a romantic comedy more than me but in contrast, I hate Disney movies because they reduce women to sitting in a tower brushing their hair and talking to cute animals until some man comes along and rescue her. Be your own f'ing hero!! That's my problem with Beth. She is a disney princess right down to her big blue doe eyes and long blond hair. It's ok that she's weak and is not a badass but it's not ok that all of a sudden they are trying to make her one.

I don't agree that Beth is weak on the traditional sense. Yes, she's not physically strong, but she wasn't waiting for someone to save her either. It may have been Noah's plan to escape, but Beth wasn't content staying there until Noah said something. No, she wanted to work off her debt, and then leave. Not everyone speaks their mind and fight, fight, fights. Some observe and plan. And it's not like Beth had time to make an escape route either. Hell, it even took Noah a year to make his plan and the furtherest he got was how to leave and making the rope. He had no weapons, food, water, etc. Beth was smart enough to take the gun. I don't think showing her trying to prevent sexual assault or fighting for her life is trying to make her badass--it's showing that she doesn't want to be violated and wants to live.

My husband has never had strong feelings one way or the other about Beth until last night and he made the same comparison, right down to the Disney princess in the tower and the doe eyes.  (We have a 5-year-old daughter who watches a lot of these movies.)  He took it a step further and predicted early on that she'd unable to rescue herself because "that's how these stories always work.  She'll make her cute little attempt and fail and then they'll all have to ride in and save her."

Hasn't this happened in some variation to EVERY character? How far did we honestly expect Beth to get? Or, better yet, anyone? Rick and others almost would've died at Terminus if it hadn't been for Carol, but Beth's almost escape is treated as something insignificant because she's the type to get saved. Would it have been better if she literally sat and waited? Honestly speaking, in order for Beth to have planned an effective escape, she would've needed to stay longer to learn the lay out, habits of her captors, and collect supplies. She'd be there what, two three days at most? That's no where enough time to escape in a heavily controlled building. 

A real nurse, (I'm one too) would also have been looking at her patients chart (because a real doctor would insist on having this), and made sure her meds matched doctors orders, as well as the correct dosage, and route.

I think the doctor had her as his assistant so she could "work" off her debt and he could manipulate her if he needed to. A real nurse would've known the difference, but someone like Beth wouldn't. 

This episode was only interesting because of the 2 special guest stars: Chris from Everybody Hatea Chris, and the Whale Rider girl. Beth is meh as usual. Wonder what happened to Carol? Where's Daryl? Hope she doesn't die.