Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E04: Slabtown

halgia
  • Start Topic

Everyone, I'm feeling really stupid and out of the loop. What does CDB stand for? (shuffles off, hanging head in shame...)

Don't be; you are among (psycho) friends here. It stands for Camp Dinner Bell which is how everyone refers to their first camp because they were basically begging to be robbed and or eaten out in the open with 3 guns (Shanes, Andreas (who still had the safety on it) and the one Merle had on the roof) Also, on the farm when they were letting them move into the house Maggie said (paraphrasing) we have X number of cattle we might as well be "ringing the dinner bell"

• Love 3

Beth babysits Judith that is all – somebody else is going on the runs to acquire the supplies needed to keep Judith alive.  Judith stays with her father at night.  And when danger comes, it is someone else killing walkers or PEOPLE to protect the baby.  For what it’s worth I was an in demand babysitter, caring for infants, when I was 12 years old.  Taping up an ankle can be and is learned in Girl Scouts.  Keeping up with Daryl isn’t that hard when a) you are young, in shape, and literally running for your life and b) Daryl is actively protecting you – as in he’s not going to outrun her by a mile to leave her to the zombies.  Collecting items is something the whole group did as a survival MO.  Carl knows how to forage as well.  I call BS on that crossbow stuff though.  I have a coworker who is basically Daryl and he let me try his crossbow.  I couldn’t, using every ounce of my strength pull that thing back.  NONE of the females present could.  When I saw Beth do that I was like “No freakin’ way!”  My point is there is not a skillset that she brings to the table.  She is just there, doing as she’s told – which is fine for the most part, it doesn't make her a bad person, but it's not necessarily the portrayal of a compelling character.

Your point is perfectly valid; however the point I was making was simply that the things Beth had done/was doing were helpful. That's it. Not that no one else could possibly do any of these things, not that it took an abundance of skill, and certainly not that doing any or all of it made her irreplaceable to the group.

Simply...Beth has been as helpful as she can whenever she could be.

• Love 5

Don't be; you are among (psycho) friends here. It stands for Camp Dinner Bell which is how everyone refers to their first camp because they were basically begging to be robbed and or eaten out in the open with 3 guns (Shanes, Andreas (who still had the safety on it) and the one Merle had on the roof) Also, on the farm when they were letting them move into the house Maggie said (paraphrasing) we have X number of cattle we might as well be "ringing the dinner bell"

Thank you Boofish! I have been trying to work that out for awhile and I finally gave up. I never would have come up with that! Yaye! I feel like I'm part of the team now!

• Love 8

Also, there's still the confusion about how dangerous an infected wound is. Beth had at least one fresh cut on her. Might think twice about wallowing in zombie goop.

Plus, it's Beth. Yeah, Beth is going to put a whole bunch of zombie guts in her hair on purpose! Even Rick doesn't like to do it. Yes, even Rick generally considers the zombie gut technique to be beneath his standards of personal grooming. 

I have my doubts about Rick. When I was trying to marathon the season 2 and 3 shows, I recall one episode where either Glenn or Michonne were talking about the walker goo (maybe talking about camo) and they had to explicitly tell Rick it stank and Rick's reaction was like "oh". 

• Love 2
Hey, maybe Daryl is coming out of the bushes with a guinea pig.

"I couldn't find Beth, but this is just as good. Show 'em how you can hit those high notes, Lord Fluffington!"

Does Lord Fluffington have an adopted turtle brother named Anthony?

Didn't Camp Dinner Bell also have something to do with all the empty cans they had strung around the perimeter as an alarm?

• Love 3

Andrea also said it. When Rick escapes the tank and is brought into the dept store by Glenn, she points her gun in his face and blames him for bringing all the walkers down on them. She gestures to them pressing up against the doors and says, "You just rang their dinner bell". 

Something to that affect.But it seems like this group is STILL ringing that bell from time to time.

• Love 5

Didn't Camp Dinner Bell also have something to do with all the empty cans they had strung around the perimeter as an alarm?

That bugs the crap outta me! Yes, you can do that as an early warning system at a campsite for instance. But the operative word is "early".

Meaning you need to set the string of cans out far enough that if you hear the clanging you actually have time to do more than just open your eyes as the grizzly bear rips your throat out. CDB always puts the line right nearby.

Also...if you have any hope of this signaling the approach of something that would recognize the string of cans for what it is--say Joe and the Merletones---remember that it's the string being bumped that makes the cans clang. You don't have to actually have the cans strung out there in plain sight where they can be spotted by freaks casing the funeral home from a car down the street.

You can even just have the cans in your tent or shelter whatever...as long as the string or fishing line is tied to them on one end, and the line runs out around the perimeter or tree line for instance.

I do realize this is a pointless waste of time for many folks, but it just remains one of those infamous bits on the show where no one learns from their mistakes. Ever.

• Love 6

Also, there's still the confusion about how dangerous an infected wound is. Beth had at least one fresh cut on her. Might think twice about wallowing in zombie goop.

Plus, it's Beth. Yeah, Beth is going to put a whole bunch of zombie guts in her hair on purpose! Even Rick doesn't like to do it. Yes, even Rick generally considers the zombie gut technique to be beneath his standards of personal grooming. 

They're in a hospital and thanks to Officer OCD there were plenty of bandages.  Just slap one on her face and then she's good to wallow.  Goop up a couple of lab coats and when they were clear of walkers, if they raided the laundry they could have grabbed more than enough scrubs for changes of clothes. 

• Love 2

Just to show how much TWD has warped me, all through that scene in the laundry room I could barely focus on what Noah was saying because I was so excited by the shelf behind him with dozens of rolls of toilet paper!

• Love 9

Andrea also said it. When Rick escapes the tank and is brought into the dept store by Glenn, she points her gun in his face and blames him for bringing all the walkers down on them. She gestures to them pressing up against the doors and says, "You just rang their dinner bell". 

Are you sure?  I thought she said - "Listen you big redneck, I'm taking your banjo".  ;-)

• Love 5

Season 1 is when it was explained to Rick that walkers smell dead. Rick was the one who came up with the plan to use the guts for camouflage. Michonne used actual walkers but when she was covered in guts, that was just dumb luck. If I recall she tried the pet walker trick a second time but was not as successful. Im not sure there is a long term camouflage solution

If anyone is interested in the webisodes it shows how that walker crawling along in that grass in the pilot came to be

I can't recall if anyone's mentioned this, but in all these camouflage cases, the people were covered in walker gore, not dead people gore.

What I don't understand though, is that all dead people become walkers unless the brain is compromised, no? So, unless the walkers CRUSHED THE SKULLS of the dead bodies (which I don't think we've ever seen them do), those dead bodies should be walkerized...probably even the most recent one. IIRC, wasn't he only missing the contents of his guts? As we know from the premiere, walkers will still animate and try to follow you, no matter how 'disabled' they are.

Am I just supposed to assume that the fall down the elevator shaft damages the skull enough that the brain can't re-animate? If so, our people should set up lemming-like traps at the tops of every cliff, hill, incline etc., they find! :)

What I don't understand though, is that all dead people become walkers unless the brain is compromised, no? So, unless the walkers CRUSHED THE SKULLS of the dead bodies (which I don't think we've ever seen them do), those dead bodies should be walkerized...probably even the most recent one. IIRC, wasn't he only missing the contents of his guts? As we know from the premiere, walkers will still animate and try to follow you, no matter how 'disabled' they are.

Am I just supposed to assume that the fall down the elevator shaft damages the skull enough that the brain can't re-animate? If so, our people should set up lemming-like traps at the tops of every cliff, hill, incline etc., they find! :)

No, the hospital crew routinely stabbed the freshly deceased in the brain prior to tossing the body down the shaft. So none of the bodies in the shaft would have turned.

• Love 4

They stabbed the necks/skulls of the patients after they died and before they did their free-fall down the shaft so they never had the chance to turn.  They're just run-of-the-mill dead people.

ETA:  ninja'd by lulee

Thank you Boofish! I have been trying to work that out for awhile and I finally gave up. I never would have come up with that! Yaye! I feel like I'm part of the team now!

Welcome!  A membership card and a walker guts-smeared poncho is in the mail!  Don't forget to sign up for your turn to babysit Lord Fluffington. 

Edited by GreyBunny
  • Love 6

Am I just supposed to assume that the fall down the elevator shaft damages the skull enough that the brain can't re-animate?

After the "patients" at Grady Hospital died, the doctor jammed some kind of sharp instrument into the skull, near the temple. Then the bodies were dumped down the elevator shaft.

ETA: what lulee and GreyBunny said!

Edited by Raven1707
  • Love 1

I was so excited by the shelf behind him with dozens of rolls of toilet paper!

OMG! Another paper product fetishist? I'm so excited since I thought I was the only one!

Are you sure?  I thought she said - "Listen you big redneck, I'm taking your banjo".

It was "pretty redneck" and yeah, that wasn't cool since he needed it for the talent show.XD

I better go to bed, hopefully not to dream of smashed skulls and apparel festooned with walker guts.

• Love 3

Welcome!  A membership card and a walker guts-smeared poncho is in the mail!  Don't forget to sign up for your turn to babysit Lord Fluffington. 

Thank you! I eagerly await my membership package and my time with Lord Fluffington!

• Love 1
Just to show how much TWD has warped me, all through that scene in the laundry room I could barely focus on what Noah was saying because I was so excited by the shelf behind him with dozens of rolls of toilet paper!

I couldn't concentrate on Rick and Carol's confrontation about her murder spree because there was a roll of toliet paper behind Rick in the scene, and all I could think was "omg take the damn roll of toliet paper! " one must have priorities.
  • Love 4

As one who buys toilet paper by the case (and there's only me in my houshold), I get unduly excited when I see TP on the show. I'd be a bag lady in the ZA with a shopping cart full of TP, fighting off walkers and Merletones with a machete.

• Love 3

Everyone, I'm feeling really stupid and out of the loop. What does CDB stand for? (shuffles off, hanging head in shame...)

If you are feeling really stupid, you couldn't be more in the loop. ( Hey Dad---I think she's one of us!)

You should all watch the Supernatural episode where a character (one who turns out to be God...maybe) says the main thing you must do in an apocalypse is hoard toilet paper. 

I remember the first Survivor season, when there was a big fight because Rudy wanted to use the pages of the Bible for toilet paper. Father Gabriel better hide that book before our group sees it as another form of Good News.

• Love 2

After the "patients" at Grady Hospital died, the doctor jammed some kind of sharp instrument into the skull, near the temple. Then the bodies were dumped down the elevator shaft.

*face palm* I had forgotten that, thanks everyone!

So, I guess when the virus activates, it somehow changes the scent/make-up of the blood/tissues etc? Otherwise how does a walker distinguish between a human (dead or alive) and a walker (dead or alive)?

• Love 1

I see you waste as much time watching bad lip reading as I do.

Guilty as charged. I think they're "NEAT"!

As one who buys toilet paper by the case (and there's only me in my houshold),

Hey, what about paper towels? Are they being ignored? I had to buy a shelving unit for my spare room to hold my stash, and my niece even bought me a carton of them for Xmas - the fancy kind that can be torn off in small pieces. I was in heaven.

• Love 4

I remember the first Survivor season, when there was a big fight because Rudy wanted to use the pages of the Bible for toilet paper. Father Gabriel better hide that book before our group sees it as another form of Good News.

Wait, what? Clearly bath tissue would be at a premium for Camp Dinner Bell since they've obviously not been around large supplies of water in weeks, but if you're living on the beach of an otherwise uninhabited island don't you have the world's biggest bidet at your disposal?

Actually about 14 1/2 months.  CDB first arrived at the Greene farm on day 68; the Beth timeline is currently on/around day 510.

Yes, but 510 days divided by 30 days (an average month) = 17 months. Fourteen & a half months would be about 435 days.

• Love 1

As one who buys toilet paper by the case (and there's only me in my houshold), I get unduly excited when I see TP on the show. I'd be a bag lady in the ZA with a shopping cart full of TP, fighting off walkers and Merletones with a machete.

You should all watch the Supernatural episode where a character (one who turns out to be God...maybe) says the main thing you must do in an apocalypse is hoard toilet paper.

I am completely ready for the apocalypse if we only measure readiness by the quantity of TP one has stockpiled. I don't even know what the hell I'm doing any more. I could build a fort with the jumbo packages I have in our basement. My husband, bless him, rarely comments since I always reply "what? You gonna stop using toilet paper? Didn't think so. So shut up!" ;)

Edited by NoWillToResist
  • Love 5

it somehow changes the scent/make-up of the blood/tissues etc? Otherwise how does a walker distinguish between a human (dead or alive) and a walker (dead or alive)?

It’s best not to examine these things too closely. Walkers neither breath nor need a closed working circulatory system, without which there is no way to transport food to cells nor burn calories.  Biologically speaking, there is no way that their muscles (and their muscles are the same as our muscles since it was bequeathed to them direct from their former living selves) can move at all. None. Undead cells would be indistinguishable from plain dead. That they can move at all is thus a function of special recipe Zombie magical anamatronic powers <tm>  The presence (or lack thereof) of said magic - which apparently can be detected via smell  - is what allows them to distinguish between fellow undead and plain dead. Obviously.

• Love 5

I am so glad I am not the only one who flips when she spots TP in the background of a Walking Dead scene.  It is so hard to concentrate on what's happening when all I can think is "GRAB THE DAMN TP!!!!"

• Love 2

I always think of the TP and any other useful things. This goes way back, at a drive in movie my parents were watching and I was in my footie pajamas, supposed to go to sleep after the cartoon, there was a creature stalking campers and one poor soul left the tent in the middle of the night to go potty (inevitably to be eaten by the creature) but I yelled "DON'T FORGET TOILET PAPER" at the screen rather than be scared of the monster. 

I'm sure this is horrible but I'm taking shoes, clothes, food, tp anything useful I find along my journey. If you die next to me I will make sure you don't turn but then I'm also taking your shoes. But I will stop short of Otis-ing you, I won't kill you in order to get away. (I think)

• Love 3

Are the "3 sheets" in that saying talking about TP? I've never had triple ply in my life. Those are some rich people getting drunk that can flaunt their fancy TP at us!

I think the cliche "3 sheets to the wind" originates with sailors - referring to 3 sails on sailboat - implying that the person is so drunk that he's flailing around like sails in the wind.

Edited by lulee
  • Love 3

I always think of the TP and any other useful things. This goes way back, at a drive in movie my parents were watching and I was in my footie pajamas, supposed to go to sleep after the cartoon, there was a creature stalking campers and one poor soul left the tent in the middle of the night to go potty (inevitably to be eaten by the creature) but I yelled "DON'T FORGET TOILET PAPER" at the screen rather than be scared of the monster

You just brought me to mind of going to the drive-in with my parents and being in footie pajamas watching a western and I asked why don't cowboys ever have to go to the bathroom?

• Love 1

Actually about 14 1/2 months. CDB first arrived at the Greene farm on day 68; the Beth timeline is currently on/around day 510.

Yes, but 510 days divided by 30 days (an average month) = 17 months. Fourteen & a half months would be about 435 days.

510 days / 17 months is how long the ZA has lasted so far.

The original question was how long Beth had been around Rick & Co., so you have to subtract off the 68-day chunk of the post-ZA timeline before they met.

510-68 = 442 days, or 14.7 months - just shy of 14 months and three weeks.

• Love 1

Yes, "three sheets" started as a sailing term.  But then, if memory serves, Popeye, that famous sailor, started using pieces of old sails as toilet paper.  Something about spinach going right through him, so he needed something handy and strong.  So, triple-ply toilet paper was forever credited to Popeye.

I mean, who knew?

• Love 3

The bustling metropolis of Albany. We also have a Miller-Coors plant if that's your thing. Oh! And a marine logistics base. I'm starting to feel good about this place. Our lack of good restaurants and shopping won't matter so much in the ZA!

• Love 4

I swear this is a Bob and Sheri chatroom. And if you know what I'm talking about then you're definitely my people!

And once again it is confirmed... y'all are totally my people. But for the record, I will not hoard Scott Tissue. Not even during the ZA.

And that's all I'll have. :(

Well you can have any that I manage to scavenge if you'll scrounge up some nice, soft 2-ply for me. :)

Edited by PunkyMouse
  • Love 4

The bustling metropolis of Albany. We also have a Miller-Coors plant if that's your thing. Oh! And a marine logistics base. I'm starting to feel good about this place. Our lack of good restaurants and shopping won't matter so much in the ZA!

TP and beer? I'm in.!

• Love 3

Totally embarrasing myself in public laughing at this. And I am a Nice Lutheran Girl.

• Love 5