Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E04: Slabtown

halgia
  • Start Topic

If you've read the comics, be very careful to avoid spoiling those who don't, and keep in mind that some people may have much stricter notions of what a spoiler is. Any substantial comic talk should go in the comics thread; minor discussion is okay here, but be very liberal with the spoiler tags, and don't give away too much about the spoiler outside the tags either. We're still figuring out what the right solution for this is; we'd love your thoughts on it here.

• Love 5

For a minute there, I got some ER in my Walking Dead.

What the hell did Beth do to Officer Dawn?

Razor or pianio wire to cut off limbs? Necessity is the mother of invention, I suppose.

Go die, Officer Creepy.

Noah of the Lollipop Guild? I like him.

I haven't been that happy to see someone get their throat ripped out since Claimer Joe.

That hospital might be in for some serious shit when Carol wakes up.

Edited by Rosiejuliemom
  • Love 8

Carol took out the Termites. The creepy cops don't stand a chance. I really want Beth to take out Dawn first, though.

I think this was a great episode. Dawn and the pervert underestimated Beth, and they both lost. Joan eating the pervert cop was one of the most satisfying moments of this series. Beth giving Dawn a reality check was awesome, and her confronting the Doc about the deliberate murder of the other doctor was great, too.

Beth isn't a badass, but I think she's one in training.

• Love 14

What the fuck did I just watch? I have literally never nodded off during first airings of this show before....until tonight. To be fair, my youngest child only allowed me to get 4 hours of sleep last night. But still. I feel like I just waded through an hour of nonsense and I have no idea what's going on. I thought the hospital thing could be interesting, but I still feel like I have ZERO idea what the point is. Maybe I was just too tired and not focused? I'll have to read other posts and see what you guys came away with. 

I don't know which news is worse - she didn't escape, so we know we're not done with this storyline....or Carol being taken? I guess with her being there I'll care more next time.

• Love 9

The best part of this episode was Beth and TJW (of Everybody Loves Chris, can't recall his name here on TWD) trying to escape the hospital. Since Carol is now miraculously a patient at the hospital , is it possible that Darryl has TJW with him at the church? And how did Carol end up injured and separated from Darryl? Did she try to strike out on her own and leave him, but ended up getting injured?

I'm not understanding how Beth's kidnappers were able to get all the way back to Grady Hospital, which is in downtown Atlanta, pretty much unscathed. Weren't Rick and crew at least 30-40 miles out from the city? That's a pretty long drive when having to deal with a world of zombies around every corner.  Rick, Glenn, T-Dogg and the others barely made it out of the city alive back in S1. Doesn't seem very realistic that this crew would be able make it into the city and the hospital safely.

This was definitely a sleeper episode. Next week doesn't look much better.

Edited by Enero
  • Love 8

Was Beth about to kill that doctor? Sweet little Beth? Holy crap!

I hated that Lady Cop. Wished she had gotten eaten by zombie Joan too.

Oh no, there's Carol! I hope she makes it.

So, I 'm guessing that person that's with Daryl is Noah.

• Love 4

CAROL!   NOOOOOOO!

Other than that, pretty good self-contained episode.  Denial isn't strength.  Standing up to the challenge is strength.  Which is why Beth is strong, Dawn.  So hold your damn tongue saying she's not.

For a moment, I thought the cops were like the other crazy societies we've encountered on the show - just some psychopath thugs who got their hands on police uniforms and used that to their advantage in enslaving those they rescue.

Next episode isn't an immediate continuation of this storyline!?  We have to watch stupid Abraham and his pipe dream to DC!?  Goddamnit!

• Love 17

Thank goodness a good episode.  I am always sort of bummed by The Walking Dead which seems to pander and has some of the worst written characterizations of women on tv.  Beth is such a fascinating character compared to the rather perfunctory female representation on the rest of the show.  The episode had a George Romero feel presenting a more intriguing vision of hell on earth than the lazy cannibals storyline.  I bet this will be an unpopular episode.   Personally, I think it is the best episode in quite awhile for a show that too often panders.

Edited by dohe
  • Love 23

I think she may have slit her wrist. I thought I saw some scissors or a scalpel by her hand.

Yeah but... how do you cut your wrist with only one hand? Slip her throat maybe? I couldn’t tell.

I saw the scissors and figured she did something to herself, but wasn’t sure of what.

• Love 3

Well, I enjoyed the episode. I thought Beth was badass. I liked Noah. I am glad that Gorman got eaten. Too bad Dawn did not get eaten also. The doctor was one sick dude.

I am looking forward to Carol, Beth, and the crew taking out those hospital people as they so richly deserve. I just know that Noah is the one with Daryl and will lead everyone to save Beth. However, that means going south towards Atlanta, not north.

I am not thrilled with Abraham's bluster in the preview. I just hope that he finds out that Eugene has been stringing him along.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 8

I thought this was a good episode. Much better than I'd expected. And it wasn't just a Bethy Sue episode - it was about her, yes, but also full of psychological horror and exploration, and interesting characters. It was also very well-paced.

The casting for all the supporting roles was terrific, especially the "good" doctor whose mask slips at the end. Yet in some ways I still felt for many of these people - the doctor, and sometimes, just a little, for control freak slap-happy Dawn. I also have to praise the woman who played Joan (?), the woman whose arm got sawed off.

This episode did a better job of writing for Emily Kinney's range than "Still" did. She wasn't a victim but she also wasn't Superwoman. Kinney had good chemistry with everyone in this.

There were some really frightening scenes in this too, like the jump scares in the trash pit when the walkers kept attacking them. 

I liked the bit where Beth used walker Joan to kill the rapist guard with the putty face. Not only did it unscore that humans are the true threat, it was very smart. And Joan looked so, so happy to tear that asshole's throat out. 

I liked Noah a lot. I'm disappointed at already seeing fan hate for him for leaving Beth behind, as if he had any choice in the matter. 

• Love 24

That was not good. I'm sure that Emily Kinney is a lovely young woman but she is not a strong enough actress to carry an entire episode.

After three strong episodes, this was a let-down. Don't really care about this new group of crazies. And the missing pieces of the narrative made it unnecessarily confusing.

Where did Beth get the gun?

• Love 17

Oh yay. More bad guys.

And the three stooges apparently get a fucking episode wasted on them.

I hate the writers. Beth is boring , dawn is boring, the stooges are boring. Stick with the compelling characters. Assholes.

• Love 14

I thought Atlanta would look a lot worse after the napalm and the CDC explosion and the general neglect.  I liked that episode, which only goes to prove that I am this show's bitch.  I don't have a problem with Beth, though I wouldn't have banged on the door like that until I was sure I wanted to know what was out there.  I thought Beth played that as well as she could.  Compliance and co-operation kept her alive long enough to make an ally and try to escape.  Pissing Dawn off was never going to be a smart strategy and Beth didn't do that until she was finally cornered.  I liked seeing Beth's inner badass slowly come out as the episode wore on. 

• Love 9

I feel like the episode would've been much better with pretty much any other character (with the possible exception of Lori) in the lead.  Emily Kinney just isn't strong enough to carry an entire episode, and what should've been really interesting just fell flat. 

• Love 13

How exactly did Joan die, though?

She cut open her stump and bled out from there. Beth saw the scalpel that Joan used on the floor, and saw Joan's fingers moving and realized that she was turning. She faked surrendering to Officer Perv until Joan could eat him, and then took off with the scalpel. Which she was hiding as she walked down the hallway (to off the doctor) and saw Carol (in need of medical attention) just in time to change her mind.

• Love 1

I think it was a great idea, but bad execution.  I didn't think the acting was that great from anyone and there were a lot of plot holes.  As someone upthread mentioned, they took Beth from a pretty far distance away and then brought her back into a fairly hellishly over-run area.  Yet the doctor seemed to think it was hopeless to try to escape, etc.  And why return to Atlanta to set up camp anyway.

Meh. 

• Love 7

This episode could not keep my attention. Any snark aside, honestly, it felt like they tried to cram 2 hours of backstory into 15 minutes, and I really didn't feel that any of the actors--aside from the guy playing Noah--sold it.

I didn't buy tiny little Beth stomping a walker to death at all. I also don't recall her ever having any gun training, yet she took out a number of walkers in the dark with perfect head shots? I can't buy her as suddenly 'badass' after one day with Daryl's bow (the tension of which it seems would have ripped her tiny arm off).

ETA. A couple other things that didn't make sense to me: How was there no way out when they're clearly bringing patients in? And why is there no nuclear fallout in the area from the CDC explosion?

Edited by BrokenRemote
  • Love 16

I really liked finally seeing where Beth is and who took her. Beth's got a gun, and going bad ass. I like it! 

Being in downtown Atlanta is so far from the group though.Now they have Carol too! So they're either going to have to get out together or the others will have to get them, either way that's a lot of travelling. 

That cop won't know what hit her once Carol wakes up.

• Love 2

I feel like the episode would've been much better with pretty much any other character (with the possible exception of Lori) in the lead.  Emily Kinney just isn't strong enough to carry an entire episode, and what should've been really interesting just fell flat. 

I liked it just fine. I thought it started off slow, but it picked up when I realized what they were going for: Beth coming into her own and realizing her strength. If they did something similar with Carl, I thought it was good that they did it with beth. I just wish the supporting characters/actors were more charismatic. They were the ones that felt flat to me. The hospital setting didn't help. So cold and sterile.

• Love 2

I just wish this story followed a character I was more invested in; I'm really trying to care but Beth seemed content until someone else mentioned trying to escape. The other women on this show would have only needed half a needle, the pole from the IV bag, a stick of gum and sunlight.

• Love 16

Now I want to see this episode remade with Judith in Beth's place. Not grown up Judith, either. I want to see that baby scooting her way around that hospital being the Little Asskicker she is.

• Love 20

Wow, back to Grady! I actually got into the show because I related to Rick's first scene, having spent a month in a coma at Grady! It IS a potentially scary place, zombies or no. I thought the episode was great! As per usual, the humans are the real menace, though the walkers greatly complicate things. Beth is compelling in that we know her well enough to relate to her, but she's not as seemingly immune to death as Rick or Daryl, or Carl or even others might be. She's not even demographically protected. (Speaking of which, where in the ATL did they find white police officers? I've seen maybe two in twenty years. Made me suspicious that they'd stolen the uniforms until I saw the photo from seemingly before.) hated that we ended on a cliffhanger, when last week's wasn't addressed, and next wek appears to change direction yet  again!

(Oh, and there are other ways out of Grady. I wandered off with an IV bag stil attached and took a train.)

• Love 10

If Beth was content, she would have eaten the food and not cared about keeping track of what she "owed."

I cannot believe people think that Gareth was a better leader than Dawn. They are both repellent. 

• Love 8

I didn't buy tiny little Beth stomping a walker to death at all. I also don't recall her ever having any gun training, yet she took out a number of walkers in the dark with perfect head shots? I can't buy her as suddenly 'badass' after one day with Daryl's bow (the tension of which it seems would have ripped her tiny arm off).

Beth had gun training in season 2. I also imagine she spent a lot of time learning in season 3, waiting for The Governor/Woodbury army to attack.

• Love 4

Carol took out the Termites. The creepy cops don't stand a chance. I really want Beth to take out Dawn first, though.

Yes! They took Carol because they think she's weak. They obviously have no idea who they're messing with. I wanted Beth to slap the taste out of Dawn as a payback for those times Dawn slapped her.

• Love 2

I would be interested in what the writers were thinking.  What a great turn for the show.  While it wouldn't be good for ratings, I wish the show would do more of this and less of the simplistic storylines we usually get. 

You can sense the writers are far more engaged in Beth's character than most of the female characters which feel one note.  Beth's refusal to let go of her agency was wonderful.  Just have a big smile on my face.  Also well done by Kinney.  Too many of the actors on the show seem to play for the fans where as Kinney demonstrates internalization. 

The Walking Dead may finally be growing up!

Edited by dohe
  • Love 17

I think it was a great idea, but bad execution.  I didn't think the acting was that great from anyone and there were a lot of plot holes.  As someone upthread mentioned, they took Beth from a pretty far distance away and then brought her back into a fairly hellishly over-run area.  Yet the doctor seemed to think it was hopeless to try to escape, etc.  And why return to Atlanta to set up camp anyway.

Meh. 

I think some of it was conditioning. The doctor didn't want to leave because he was probably scared and at least had some type of purpose there.

• Love 2

Some people got a little ER with this episode. I got a little old school General Hospital. All a head strong willowy blonde needs to love you for a lifetime, thru thick and thin, is a little rapey love. Come on Beth join the Laura mindset. Because Luke and the WSB is not coming to save you. Then again they just rolled Anna Devane version 3.0 into the hospital.

• Love 9

Hurrah for keeping my expectations low.  I was as bored as I figured I would be.  Beth could be an interesting character, but Emily Kinney has only two facial expressions, and neither one of them is really compelling.  She is just so boring.  So, yeah, following the adventures of Beth was not fun.

I did like Tyler James Williams and his character.  I hope this isn't the last of his character.  Fun seeing Keisha Castle-Hughes show up as Joan, before she heads off to Game of Thrones next.

Carol for the win!  These guy will be a piece of cake for her (and, if Daryl is hanging around near-by.)

Well, I was going to check out Talking Dead, but I can even get through Chris Hardwick and John Barrowman constantly trying to prop up Beth/Emily.

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 11

I'm still curious about the fully stocked and dust free funeral home where Beth got deparated from Daryl last year; I was sure it was a lure set up by whomever had taken Beth. Did they say anything about it?

Carol is in the hospital now? Well, we all know what happens whenever a member of CDB arives someplace new. Buh-bye, hospital.

For a teensy weensy moment, I thought Beth was gonna pull a Shane, and shoot Noah to distract the walkers in order to make her escape.

I liked that Beth showed some smarts, improvising with the soon-to-be walker and figuring out the doc's scheme, although she did look pretty silly holding up her IV needle as a weapon.

• Love 6