Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E06: Family Business

• Start Topic

Well, I took it as a wipe of some kind, because she got a magic rock to put in her tea to restore it, but I guess that could also soothe a PTSD'ed mind.  But either way, I am just tired of the lack of originality of having quests fueled by memory problems. 

• Love 1
So Anna & Belle had to climb a mountain to get to the rock trolls in this ep, but Anna (in a wedding dress & carrying a book!) & Elsa were able to saunter there in the opener?

In the movie, didn't they have to go down steep hills/mountains to get to the castle from the trolls when Kristoff was trying to get Anna back to Hans? So that kind of fits. As for the earlier episode, since the wedding was supposed to be the next day, maybe Grand Pabbie was in town for the wedding but went home after the wedding was postponed? Just handwaving here.

This is why I believe Belle's nightmare wasn't real or it was hiding something, and that her dad was lying about what really happened. For one, he wouldn't have gone through so much trouble to keep it a secret if it were that simple, and two, there was a reason why we had to believe his story instead of finding out with the trolls' stone. The guy is so freaking suspicious.

On a lot of shows, I'd think it was setup for a larger plot. On this one, as a flashback meant to parallel something going on in the present plot but with a character who's little more than a plot device, I suspect it was just a "Because Plot Reasons" thing just to give Belle an excuse to visit Arendelle and meet Anna, then to have some thing important enough to her that she would choose it over Anna and then have something to feel guilty about and keep a secret about (basically, this was Belle's "The Jolly Roger"). And I'm really afraid that all this secrets and lying stuff is just laying the groundwork to justify Rumple and Belle staying together even if she learns about the dagger deception, since she, too, once had something that she thought she needed so badly that she'd do anything to have and keep it, and she, too, has lied to him. So she's as bad as he is and has no room to complain about him (since that's how they roll with good guys and villains on this show). The earlier episodes get creepier in retrospect now that we know all this. That means Belle knew exactly who Anna was and something about what might have happened to her when David and Hook were there desperately looking for info on Anna so they could save Emma from freezing to death, and yet she said absolutely nothing.

Hook commented about childhood wounds tending to linger and Emma asked how he'd know. He did not respond with a specific example, simply said he was a child once too. He was trying to tell Emma he understood to get her to open up and she doesn't want to go there, so she brushed it off with a joke. It wasn't really an appropriate time for them to have a heart to heart about their respective childhoods anyway.

Yeah, that's the way I saw it. I don't think there was any chance he was actually about to open up to her and tell her about his childhood because for one thing, he doesn't do that, and for another, he's very good about not making her issues all about him. If she's got something going on, he wants her to talk about it. He doesn't barge in with his own tale about what happened to him unless he has specific advice to offer gained from his experience. So here, it was just a case of "if you want to talk about it, I might actually understand," and her remark about his age was her way of saying she didn't really want to talk about it. I do hope that one day she does bother digging into his past and getting him to talk the way he does with her, but I don't think anyone would expect her to do that at the moment she's just discovered that she apparently had a happy phase in childhood that she doesn't remember having.

And now I know what Hook does during his free time.  He sits there contemplating the Storybrooke family tree.

That's a full-time hobby, even without all the monster fighting, quests, and errand-running he's been doing.

That means Belle knew exactly who Anna was and something about what might have happened to her when David and Hook were there desperately looking for info on Anna so they could save Emma from freezing to death, and yet she said absolutely nothing.

I guess that would explain why she was able to identify the necklace so quickly.

• Love 2

I guess that would explain why she was able to identify the necklace so quickly.

Well, heroes help strangers.

Emma's just her stepgrandson's mother.  Heroes don't need to help their stepgrandson's mother. 

• Love 13

Yeah, this is what I was talking about when I said Belle became a plot device instead of a prop. Her actions still make no sense, but at least they are marginally more important. But if you spend a second thinking about them, she comes off as stupid, selfish and hypocritical. Her not telling anyone that she knew Anna and the Snow Queen is simply infuriating, but, then, so was Hook trying to blackmail Rumple or Emma trying to befriend Regina. Everyone's actions are contrived this season, but some characters fare worse than others. I shudder to imagine the things to come, really.

• Love 7

So when the royal family of Arendelle lost two daughters, they decide it's too painful and use magic to just forget about them completely?  Yeah, I know there's probably more to this story, but Elsa and Anna's parents (and their parents before them) continue to win no favors from me.

Also "Captain Guyliner" was the best quote of the episode.

• Love 2

I’m a sap.  I want Emma, and Elsa to tell the Snow Queen they can be a family without the Snow Queen hurting anyone.  The past doesn’t matter.  If Regina, and Rumple can be given a free pass for everything, I don’t see why the Snow Queen can’t.

I liked the few scenes there were of Hook/Emma.

I really like Elsa and Sven.  Even when he doesn’t have dialogue I like Sven better than several of the other characters.

Regina, Rumple, Robin, and Belle can die or exit stage left at any time, and I won’t miss them.

Edited by TigerLynx
  • Love 6

Charming was asking Belle if she could track, so maybe Granny and Red were babysitting?

Shouldn't Granny and Red be the ones who were tracking??? Hell's bells. They've completely forgotten about Red.

Edited by Souris
  • Love 4

And thank god they did! At least the writers won't get to ruin her, considering what already's happening to Granny/Grumpy (see: their behavior towards Snow) or Hook (see: blackmail) or Emma (see: groveling before Regina)...

Edited by FurryFury
  • Love 4

Mirror Belle reminded me that I used to adore Emilie as evil teen alien bitch Tessla on Roswell. Honestly they could have made her character so much better if she and Rumple were eviling together instead of her just being a moron.

Yes I watched again after saying I was quitting last week. I'll probably be back next week. But I won't like it.

• Love 7

Shouldn't Granny and Red be the ones who were tracking??? Hell's bells. They've completely forgotten about Red.

It didn't hit me at the time, but you're right!  What about Snow?  She knows how to track too.  What exactly are Belle's qualifications?

• Love 2

About the mountain climbing to get to the rock trolls (quoting and my tablet don't mix), I imagine when Elsa went there she just made an ice staircase like she wanted to do when they went for the urn. Since Anna would have used it then too, this would have been the first time she tried climbing on her own.

Rumbelle?

Dumbelle.

Snow Queen is creepy psychotic wonderful in a chilling, skin crawl, Stephen King way.  She's grand. Her brutally cruel,  truth-telling mirror is much more badass than Sydney's and gives me hope that A&E can continue to intertwine adult psychological horror in among the cozy family hour Disney rock troll cuties (I just want to hear him talk more. LOVE the VOICE. Always have.)

Cute one liners and a LOT of plot advancement. OK. I will stick around for the certain angst to come!

• Love 1

Also "Captain Guyliner" was the best quote of the episode.

I would give them more credit for that line if it wasn't the same joke the fandom has been making about him for the last two years. 

• Love 2

Anytime Emma spoke to Regina this episode, I found myself cringing in fear. So, I was unable to appreciate Regina's "snark" about Emma and Hook. She made a similar comment in 3B. Don't the writers have new jokes?

I was irrationally annoyed by how artfully arranged everyone was in the sheriff's office at the start of the ep:

lZInM9B.jpg

Clearly Hook, Gold, and Henry can't even see that tiny TV (I guess Hook has already seen the footage, but still). Just crowd around it like normal people.

• Love 9

The Mirror needs to become a permanent member of the cast. Each week it could float around giving people the brutal truth about themselves. I want to see it rip Regina a new one, or Henry. Or better yet, just follow Belle around everywhere snarking at her. "Your husband thinks Lacey was better in bed." or "When you wear high heels you look like a three-year-old toddling around in her mother's shoes", or "You believe that dagger is real? Let me guess, you also send money to those nice Nigerian princes who keep emailing you."

• Love 12

Ok, clearly we need someone else to stand in front of the mirror.  Rumple stood in front of it and nothing happened--does this mean it doesn't affect magical people?  Belle's experience was that she had some hard truths to face--which she already knows, she just doesn't want to.  We need to see Snow in front of it, if she turns evil, we'll know the mirror is evil.  I wonder if the mirror is supposed to work like the echo cave did last year.  Everyone's worst fears or secrets come out of it and they are resolved through the rest of the season?

I thought the episode was fine, it was good to see there is a familial connection between Elsa, Anna and Ingrid.  I could care less about Belle's adventure or past.  Why am I supposed to care about Belle when she's only there to make Rumple think he can be good?

Regina really does seem to be taking the high road in regard to Robin.  He's a bit of a whiner, isn't he?

I wish we would've had a bit more of Captain Swan stuff.  We were so spoiled at the beginning of the season, and I fear we're in the desert now.  The banter was cute and Regina pointed out they were making eyes with each other, but a moment alone would've been nice.

• Love 2

A few thoughts:

• Belle entering the SQ's lair wearing tall wedge heeled boots: Does that woman ever wear appropriate footwear?
  • Belle's mother appeared to be approximately 5 years older than Belle.
  • Grade F for whoever is in charge of makeup on OUaT. Does the make up team hate Emilie de Ravin?
  • SQ is killing it. I am liking the character and the actress. I love that she is more deranged/psychotic than just plain run of the mill evil or...(dramatic pause) wicked, like Zelena.
  • Is there a new director? Some scenes threw me off, like the weird camera angle starting at Emma's VW bug's headlight.
  • The mirror saved Belle's storyline for me, as otherwise I was completely underwhelmed.
Edited by MelsW
  • Love 1

What the hell was Belle wearing on her trip to Arendelle? Was she supposed to be an elf? An ice skater? It takes a lot to dress someone worse than the Scandi-lite messes they put Anna in, but they finally did it.

• Love 2

So Belle pulls outs a (fake) dagger and tries to use it to override her husband's agency and he has to pretend to do it so she won't know he gave her a fake dagger.

Best. Marriage. Ever.

All hail True Love!!

If I'd known this was going to be a whole episode of Belle being appalling in her appalling marriage with her appalling husband, I could have been appalled in absentia.

The Mirror needs to become a permanent member of the cast. Each week it could float around giving people the brutal truth about themselves. I want to see it rip Regina a new one, or Henry.

With the way Regina's written, the "evil" mirror will be her saying things like, "You know that nobody really appreciates all the effort you make to be a better person. None of them understands that you've changed. They took your true love from you. Your murders make life better."

Edited by AudienceofOne
  • Love 5

Regina really does seem to be taking the high road in regard to Robin

If the high road means acting like a mature adult and not going on mass murder sprees, then yeah, she's doing great!  (Though I agree he's a bit of an ass.  But at least somebody's giving her a tiny taste of her own medicine).

• Love 3

Maybe I'm the only one in the world, but I'm just so sick of Elizabeth Mitchell and her enigmatic stare. I feel like I can never get away from her no matter what show I watch. I'm also sick to death of the fact that there's always some new Big Bad they have to fight. They no sooner conquer one and another pops up to take its place. These characters never get a chance to breathe.

I'm a little tired of the Frozen stuff too and it's a real stretch that Anna somehow managed to interact with half the cast back in the Enchanted Forest and in Arendelle.

The problem with this show is that they are too married to their flashback gimmick. Every week they blow their wad on the flashback, and the present day story always feels like an anemic afterthought.

I'd also like to point out that when Zoso was the Dark One, the king (?) who controlled him had that dagger safely hidden away behind a tapestry so nobody would be able to steal it. But lately it's like everyone who wields the dagger carries it around with them wherever they go,. Aside from whether or not it's the real dagger, can't Belle just command Rumpel at the shop and then leave the dagger behind? Does she have to take it with her to the lair of the latest villain du jour where it could potentially be stolen and used against her? Same with Zelena, she was carrying that thing around with her wherever she went.

• Love 5
I'm a little tired of the Frozen stuff too and it's a real stretch that Anna somehow managed to interact with half the cast back in the Enchanted Forest and in Arendelle.

We haven't yet seen that she actually traveled to the Enchanted Forest on the Jolly Roger and Hook was just too drunk the entire time to remember her, but you know it's how it happened. She probably gave him a nice pep talk about how things will work out for the best if you just trust in people and have faith. (I joke, but I totally wouldn't be surprised.)

Now that she's all locked up, the amount of cast interaction should be more limited.

• Love 2

So I finally saw this and, even if it was better than last week (not that it was difficult), it wasn't very good either. The only thing I can say about Belle is that she is stupid and she deserves the husband she has. And, really, Emilie de Ravin was particulary awful tonight.

Elizabeth Mitchell is amazing and the DQ is really creepy. But the more I know about her plan, the more stupid and contrived I found it.

The few moments with Hook and Emma were really cute. But I find Hook's attitud weird. I take this cheerful Hook over last season brooding Hook any day. But his attitude this last two episodes really contradicts how he was acting at the end of episode 4 and that bothers me.

Edited by RadioGirl27
  • Love 4
Is there a new director? Some scenes threw me off, like the weird camera angle starting at Emma's VW bug's headlight.

I believe the show uses a revolving set of directors. Last night was Mario Van Peebles, who directed "It's Not Easy Being Green" last season. 

Belle entering the SQ's lair wearing tall wedge heeled boots: Does that woman ever wear appropriate footwear?

Emilie is really short - maybe 5'2" max. Other than Leroy, every other member of the cast pretty much towers over her. So I suspect a lot of Belle's footware choices boil down to how feasible is it is to have Emilie climb up top of a box each time they need to keep her in frame, especially in scenes where she's with other actors.

It didn't hit me at the time, but you're right!  What about Snow?  She knows how to track too.  What exactly are Belle's qualifications?

Belle tracked the Yaoguai (aka Philip) and at least tracked down the Jolly Roger while it was cloaked, both in "The Outsider," so while other characters may make more sense, it's also not totally without precedent for her. You could argue, yeah, but would other characters know about Philip, yadda yadda, but like so many things these days, there's little point in trying to find logic or pattern in the way the story is written.

Everyone's actions are contrived this season, but some characters fare worse than others. I shudder to imagine the things to come, really.

That's ultimately the flaw in most of the episodes in recent memory: they move the plot forward at the expense of established characters. None of these characters consistently resemble their S1-S2 personalities at this point; they go this way or that way depending on the needs of the moment, often in service of short-term plot goals or temporary characters. And it's reached the point where it's become disrespectful of the characters, the actors, and viwers who have been paying attention for the last three years.

One of the central questions going around the Rumbelle fandom last week was: would Belle use the dagger to control Rumpel?

The consensus, based on how the character has been presented during just about her entire tenure on the show, was "no, not without some truly earth-shattering reason."

Belle has been shown as someone who want to choose her own path, make her own choices, not to have others control her. Her argument to Rumpel about his behavior has been that he can free himself through choice. So, if this was a show that cared about character consistency, her even thinking of using the dagger to take away his control and forcing him to do something against his will, just weeks in the story's own timeline after he was freed from a year spent caged and enslaved by Zelena, would be one of those Big F**king Deals - one of those things that should be sparked by something relatively major.

Certainly, what happened to Anna was not a good thing, but was it really that catastrophic to Belle? Even in the skewed morality of the show, where the "good guys" inadvertantly causing another human to so much as break a nail puts them in the same league with serial killers, does what was basically an accident somehow equal dagger-enslaving, terrible-secret, must-fix-it-before-anyone-learns-how-horrible-I-am stuff? It fell far short of earth-shattering.

This episode was co-authored by Kalinda Vazquez and Andrew Chambliss, and I think that the story structure had a lot of KV's signature techniques for dragging a story, kicking and screaming, that half-inch forward to it's desginated stopping point. It got the job done in terms of setting up the back-half of the arc, but there were certainly ways it could have been done more elegantly and with more attention past characterization and backstory.

• Love 7

only thing I can say about Belle is that she is stupid and she deserves the husband she has. And, really, Emilie de Ravin was particulary awful tonight.

Emilie de Ravin has been terrible since her Roswell days and during this episode I started to genuinely wonder precisely who she's sleeping with to get so much work.

• Love 3

I wasn't a big fan of the Belle storyline - but I loved evil mirror Belle. I cannot wait for everything to fall apart on Rumple - he is setting himself up for a big fall. I loved Emma's face when Henry mentioned the ice-cream van - she looked so proud!

And I never thought I'd say this but I actually think Regina & Marian both deserve better than Robin - he really is a douche!

• Love 1

I'd also like to point out that when Zoso was the Dark One, the king (?) who controlled him had that dagger safely hidden away behind a tapestry so nobody would be able to steal it. But lately it's like everyone who wields the dagger carries it around with them wherever they go,. Aside from whether or not it's the real dagger, can't Belle just command Rumpel at the shop and then leave the dagger behind? Does she have to take it with her to the lair of the latest villain du jour where it could potentially be stolen and used against her? Same with Zelena, she was carrying that thing around with her wherever she went.

Yes, hiding the dagger worked out so well for the guy controlling Zoso, didn't it? If I had a dagger with that much power, I'd definitely take it with me wherever I went, particularly because it can summon the Dark One to me. Hiding it somewhere is just inviting someone to sneak in while I'm not home and steal it.

So I have some plot holes that need filling...

Belle's memories are gone.  PTSD or something else?  Because with this show, if its something else then Rumpel was pulling the strings.  There is every chance that Rumpel sent the Ogres, then bargained to take Belle's memories so her father could spare her the pain of something related to her mother's death, so Belle would journey to Arendelle and set in motion the events that imprison Anna and get the hat out of her control and into SQ's hands, and then manufactured the prophecy to get the hat into the world Rumpel was going to, via SQ, given that the 'savior' was the result of his machinations.  See what I did there?  Preposterous but its this show and on this show Rumpel is all knowing even when its illogical.

Also, this episode basically destroyed what was left of Belle's character.  The thing is that she let a girl fall off a cliff.  She shouldn't be saying that Anna is missing, she should be assuming, between the fall and SQ, that Anna is dead until proven otherwise.  They tried to sell that this was a pivotal moment where Belle decided to sacrifice everything to save her people from Ogres and become a hero; but they botched it because she didn't look broken up over Anna when she got home (still preoccupied about the missing memories) and I presume she hightailed it home and didn't stop to tell anyone in Arendelle about the dead/abducted Princess.  Paralleling that against the eternal Rumpel cheerleader, she is fast reaching unredeemable.   

Which leads me to my other problem.  Its exactly this kind of episode where not really understanding, because it isn't logical on a consistent basis, where the writers are coming from creates a huge problem.  If I hadn't read the wiki about SQ's mirror I seriously would have thought the mirror was just being harsh in delivering the truth like these forums.  

Its more interesting knowing that the mirror only reflects bad qualities because it poses the question of does Rumpel have good qualities because the mirror was speaking for him and it was no different than his normal.  I still doubt Belle has good qualities any longer because they haven't had her prod Rumpel to help anyone all season, she was busy hiding her shame/guilt in the current, and was selfish in the fairyback.  Little things could fix this.  That's what is constantly irritating me with this show, they always miss an easy fix that would make the episodes work better.

Edited by ParadoxLost
  • Love 7

if there's a family connection, I agree this must be it--none of the other options work. And it does strike me that they made a point of bringing Ruth back in 4x02....

I like the way you think :) So Ruthelga would be a princess in disguise who gave birth to twins as a commoner, and both twins went on to be the heirs of another kingdom. Then Charming somehow befriends Kristoff, who was raised by the same rock trolls that took away everyone's memories of secret princess Ruthelga and Ruthelga's niece helps save the farm. This sounds like spitballing, but you can never be certain with this show. One thing is for sure, if Helga ever did anything to hurt a misunderstood villain, she's probably related to one of the good guys. If Eva wasn't already an eavesdropping, paternity-revealing, peasant-tripping princess, my money would be on her.

And now I know what Hook does during his free time.  He sits there contemplating the Storybrooke family tree.

So you're saying Hook is exactly like us?

• Love 6

When given a choice of saving a rock or saving a person's life, Belle picked the rock. That's all I need to know about Belle. I don't really care if she was conflicted about the choice, she let Anna, who was begging for help, fall off the cliff. And she didn't really need the rock since there were people like the guards who could tell her what happened. Her dad is totally shady though. His version is suspect. Also, did you notice he said he was locking Belle in her room? That woman is just doomed to be locked up.

I think Hook is just desperately trying to assure himself that he is not related to the crazy. God knows, I'd be trying to do the same. Bonus points since he can also gain assurance that he is not related to his girlfriend. 

• Love 4

When given a choice of saving a rock or saving a person's life, Belle picked the rock. That's all I need to know about Belle.

I thought it was completely shocking that she actually did that because this is Belle who apparently talks a good game, but doesn't really back up her own words.  And I don't know if it's just me because I read that this is episode is Belle's Jolly Roger and I get what they're saying that, but I don't see it.

I think Hook is just desperately trying to assure himself that he is not related to the crazy. God knows, I'd be trying to do the same. Bonus points since he can also gain assurance that he is not related to his girlfriend.

Storybrooke is creepy as fuck when I think about it.  What plays in Hook's favor is that he is more like 200 years old. 

• Love 2

What plays in Hook's favor is that he is more like 200 years old.

He's still dating his stepson's ex partner. If they get married, he can be his stepgrandson's stepfather.

Or to make it more disturbing - he used to be with Henry's grandmother and now he's with his mother. If he goes back to Neverland, he could potentially date Henry's daughter too.

Edited by AudienceofOne
  • Love 3

Oaken was more than perfect:   he was dead-on. The look, the voice, everything. But I really wish that the show had had the guts to show his family. I love that the Disney movie put that little scene in (and took a lot of personal glee watching people foam at the mouth about it) so Oaken's husband and kids strolling in (or out of the sauna) would have made it truly epic. 

And at this point, the Storybrooke family tree is so convoluted and twisted that by next season Henry is going to be his own grandpa. 

Edited by Anakerie
  • Love 1

I know that this show is all about magic and whatnot, but if Emma wants to know what her life was like in that foster home, why doesn't she go out and get the Snow Queen's file from the DCFS and track down all the kids that were in that house at the same time she was? Find the video camera stealing Kevin or the other kid seen on that tape? Given Emma's background she ought to have the contacts and the know how to find these people.

• Love 3

I know that this show is all about magic and whatnot, but if Emma wants to know what her life was like in that foster home, why doesn't she go out and get the Snow Queen's file from the DCFS and track down all the kids that were in that house at the same time she was? Find the video camera stealing Kevin or the other kid seen on that tape? Given Emma's background she ought to have the contacts and the know how to find these people.

There's an ice wall around the town, she can't do any of that.

• Love 1

The thing is that she let a girl fall off a cliff. She shouldn't be saying that Anna is missing, she should be assuming, between the fall and SQ, that Anna is dead until proven otherwise.

Maybe Belle heard that Anna is alive because of Bo Peep's shepherd's crook heartbeat thing? Offscreen conversations about important things to the characters, are not unheard of on this show.

she didn't really need the rock since there were people like the guards who could tell her what happened.

They wouldn't be Belle's own memories, though. Thematically, I would have about that difficult a time giving up personal integrity for the life of somebody that I just met, too.

Ohh... and that made my just realize like just now why upthread people are saying that this is Belle's "Jolly Roger"! For some reason it reminds me of any other episode but that, ones that broke continuity and made mountain-sized contrivances too, but it bugs me that I can't really really remember exactly which... It's probably for the best.

He's still dating his stepson's ex partner. If they get married, he can be his stepgrandson's stepfather.

Or to make it more disturbing - he used to be with Henry's grandmother and now he's with his mother. If he goes back to Neverland, he could potentially date Henry's daughter too.

Much as I love Hook, he was the Pirate King of That's Creepy If I Think Too Much About It until Young Cora dethroned him with her Way Back Story.

Young Regina: (in wedding dress for Leopold) How do I look?

Cora: (in front of Wonderland mirror) Eh. I looked better when I was going to marry Leopold. But now I'm giving you to him, and both of us will rule his kingdom, so it's like I'm finally getting to marry him too. No, really honey. Think about that. Think about how effed up that is. It's like we're both his wives...except we're also mother and daughter. I feel like we should be on an episode of Law and Order SVU.

• Love 4

There's an ice wall around the town, she can't do any of that.

She has the internet and a phone. That's all she needs. She doesn't need to go find these people personally. Even if they could get out of town, I wouldn't expect her to do that.

• Love 3

Nice thought, KAOS. Perhaps she can't because of the ice wall? The Internet can only go so far with document research. Maybe Ingrid made sure to get rid of them.

Edit: Oops I was fourth to answer :)

Edited by KingOfHearts