Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
nymusix

2014 Baseball Hall of Fame Elections

Thoughts on the big announcement of who was elected to the Hall of Fame? I'm not surprised that Maddux, Glavine, and Thomas were the three to get in; I would have liked to see Biggio get in as well. 

Of course, let's not get into the whole Clemens/Bonds can of worms :) That might be a pain in the neck for all involved. 

As a Twins fan, hearing Frank Thomas's name makes my eyelid twitch, but yeah, those three are easy calls to make. Biggio will get there. Surprised Schilling didn't get more votes; do voters limit how many pitchers they vote for every year or something?

Bonds and Clemens should have an entire wall devoted to them at the museum.

I kind of love whoever voted for Jacque Jones. At least someone at the BBWAA is having fun.

As a Twins fan, hearing Frank Thomas's name makes my eyelid twitch, but yeah, those three are easy calls to make. Biggio will get there. Surprised Schilling didn't get more votes; do voters limit how many pitchers they vote for every year or something?

Bonds and Clemens should have an entire wall devoted to them at the museum.

I kind of love whoever voted for Jacque Jones. At least someone at the BBWAA is having fun.

Not such a big Schilling fan here. I do advocate for Mussina though and I have no really good reason for choosing one over the other, beside personal preference... 

I could write an entire column/essay about this but haven't ... yet. Not quite ready to burn every bridge I've built in 25 years. But honestly, IMHO, the HOF itself is cool ... the exhibits, the memorabilia, etc. And I think if something connected to one of your accomplishments is in the HOF, so are you (hello, Pete Rose).

But, to misquote a line in the woefully underread baseball novel "The Dreyfus Affair" by Peter Lefcourt (if you're a baseball fan, read it!), re: the HOF player hall -- "the Hall of Fame is nothing but a bunch of plaques with names on them."  

I won't even go into the obvious way standards and selection has changed over the years (pre-integration, etc.).

I'll just posit the validity of having an internally-self-selected group of baseball writers as the arbiters of who should be in the Hall of Fame, based on criteria completely subjective to each voter. There are voters who never ever saw some of the players on the ballot. There are voters who pick and choose which criteria they use to vote (such as, well, I'm not going to vote for players A, B or C because I think they may have used PEDs once because they look like they did, so that inflated their numbers, but on the other hand I'm not going to vote for players E, F or G because they probably never used PEDs but their numbers are not QUITE on the level that players A, B or C's were.) Talk about damned if you do and damned if you don't. 

And I'll bet there are more than a few players in the Hall of Fame (I'm talking last 10 years here), even first ballot, who are not untainted, shall we say. They just didn't get named and shamed. We may know, in some cases, which players DID use PEDs. We will NEVER know who DIDN'T (especially when it comes to pitchers, who were just as likely to take them, to accelerate healing from the injuries and wear and tear of pitching, but whose stats were not as obviously inflated as, say, those of power hitters). In fact, probably as many players (if not more) used PEDs for injuries, healing, durability, etc. so they wouldn't get Wally Pipp'ed as they did to inflate their stats. 

Whether or not you believe PEDs (either admitted or rumored) should factor into the decision of who gets voted in, keep in mind that many of the players who have been either confirmed or implicated were STILL the best players of their era ... and I suspect the playing field was a lot more level than some people would like to believe, in terms of usage. 

I have never been eligible for BBWAA and I am very grateful for that. I would not want to be voting for these things. I don't believe, despite more than two decades in the business, that I should be someone making these decisions nor would I want to.

Personally, I believe the voting should be done by the players themselves (retired, active, whoever played for a certain length of time in the majors). And yes, there would be plenty of players who would NOT vote for PED users (or so they say). But at least these are the guys who should be voting -- their peers. 

Bob Eucker's plaque is "just a bit outside" of the HOF :)

Ueck's induction speech is still the funniest one I've ever heard.  Half the fun of re-watching it is seeing the HoF players behind him falling over with laughter.

I've only been to Cooperstown once but I need to go back.  Not want, need.  I have a lifetime pass to the Hall because I donated a document to the museum and on my previous visit the document was on display, much to my very pleasant surprise.