Type keyword(s) to search

S25.E06: I Feel Like I Just Kissed A Goat

• Start Topic

I was surprised Jim and Misti didn't grab that rooster and hug it for all it's worth. Their alma mater's mascot is a gamecock. Locally, we just call them the Cocks. :)

My opinion of Jim changed with this episode, if this is the true Jim. Concerned, helpful, nice to everyone. No snide remarks about the locale. Keep it up, Jim, and I might actually root for you to win. :)

• Love 3

I have to say that any double-entendres about the tent-site went right past me.  As Rinaldo says, straight couples have been played with in the past in this way.    

• Love 12

I'm relieved we'll get a show next week.

We'll get one next week, but then, the week after that, the show takes a week off due to this odd new awards show that'll preempt the entire Friday night lineup.  (As if we need any more awards shows.)  The season will resume the week after that.

• Love 2

I laughed during the Tim/Te Jay antics. I knew what the producers were going for. I guess I haven't outgrown such humor. The only things missing were misleading shadow silhouettes, a la the Austin Powers movies.

I didn't think Robbie was useless in the goat task. He was holding one by her throat, which didn't seem nice, but it didn't look like he was choking her.

I think the previews were done that way because we're at the halfway mark of the season so TPTB were showing us what the second half will look like.

If I remember correctly, they used to have a recap episode about halfway through the earliest seasons. "Look what we've been up to so far!  You want to stick around for the rest!"  Perhaps the second half preview is the opposite idea.  "Lots of crazy stuff to come -- don't abandon us now!"

Maya posing with the bird on her head cracked me up.  Go scientists! Buy maps! Or something.  Although I know what it's like to sometimes struggle with directions---I feel for them but really want them to move up in the rankings. 

• Love 5

I've never understood how some teams navigate.  Take Shelly/Nici this week.  They have a 10 mile trip to a specific destination.  Their method is to randomly pick a road, and drive along that road for what?  100 miles?  Waiting for what to happen?  For the pottery to jump out into the road and flag them down?  It's navigation by guesswork!  Seems some teams never ask for directions, interpret a map, look out for landmarks along the way, read signposts, estimate bearings from the sun in the sky or the shadows of lampposts, etc, use the vehicle's odometer in any way, compute time/speed/distance against each other, or even drink a cuppa and interpret the pattern in the tealeaves!  How they ever expect to arrive at destination in a reasonable time, I don't know. 

• Love 5

Well that will be a fun sequestration about now with the firefighters and the realtors glaring at each other, while Survivor couple and Mom and Daughter glare at each other, with the dating couple chick sobbing in the corner.   

LOL, that is just perfect.  And I'd like to see the look on Shelley and Nici's faces when the Survivor couple accuses them of not really being a mom and daughter!

Once Brooke managed to figure out how to do the puzzle, Shelley & Nici's downfall was complete. I'm glad they're gone, mostly because they're the second most combustible team in the field, after the Dentists.

No way, Shelley and Nici are definitely the most combustible, and after them I'd say probably Brooke and Robbie and maybe Tim and TeJay.  The Dentists are a distant fourth I think.

• Love 1

For those asking it's the Hollywood Film Awards.  Because what the world needs is another useless precursor being broadcast for Oscar season.  

Oh god, I didn't realize till just now that the show's not on Sunday anymore so it's not the Country Music Awards that are pre-empting the show!  Can't TAR ever get a break from the pre-emptions?

I didn't think Robbie was useless in the goat task. He was holding one by her throat, which didn't seem nice, but it didn't look like he was choking her.

You should see him in the bonus clips.  He really really didn't want to touch the goats so he kept letting the goats go (and then laughing when Brooke got pissed about it).

If I remember correctly, they used to have a recap episode about halfway through the earliest seasons. "Look what we've been up to so far!  You want to stick around for the rest!"  Perhaps the second half preview is the opposite idea.  "Lots of crazy stuff to come -- don't abandon us now!"

Survivor does it all the time (or used to), but I only remember TAR ever doing it once, in Season 6.  Maybe in S7 too, but they dropped it pretty quickly.

(P.S. Sorry about the double post, I'm just not sure how to add quotes to previous posts.)

Edited by Lingo
  • Love 1

Misti is proving to be a little useless with Jim doing all the lifting while she takes it a little easy. Jim mostly does all the work and she just stands there while he gives out directions to Misti. So Jim wasn't completely off the mark when he pretty much said that she was.

To be fair, it looks to me like she's doing stuff, but then his personal sense of chivalry or manliness or whatever kicks in and he takes over. Like in this episode, I think she had picked up her bag of hay (maybe not as easily as he did, but still), and he just immediately had her give it to him. I kind of feel like he just assumes she's not going to be able to manage the physical stuff, and barely even gives her a chance to do it (although she wasn't super good at the rug hanging last week — but I don't know if that was a physical thing or if she just couldn't quite get the knack). And, as others have pointed out, he does seem to make most of the decisions, too. It seems to more or less work for them, though. That dynamic doesn't seem to bother her, and when she does have to do stuff on her own, she's reasonably competent at it (except for the lack of clue detail reading — that's definitely a problem). She certainly seemed to have an easier time with that puzzle than some teams did.

I don't even know what point I'm trying to make here. I find their dynamic a bit weird, he's a bit freakishly intense, and I still can't look at him, but I really don't dislike them.

I've never understood how some teams navigate.  Take Shelly/Nici this week.  They have a 10 mile trip to a specific destination.  Their method is to randomly pick a road, and drive along that road for what?  100 miles?  Waiting for what to happen?  For the pottery to jump out into the road and flag them down?  It's navigation by guesswork!  Seems some teams never ask for directions, interpret a map, look out for landmarks along the way, read signposts, estimate bearings from the sun in the sky or the shadows of lampposts, etc, use the vehicle's odometer in any way, compute time/speed/distance against each other, or even drink a cuppa and interpret the pattern in the tealeaves!  How they ever expect to arrive at destination in a reasonable time, I don't know. 

I always thought the general idea was that the one who wasn't driving should be taking care of most of the navigation, but these two seem to have decided that navigation is... no one's job? Not surprised that this "strategy" eventually did them in.

Add me to the chorus of those who loved Bethany's use of her foot. I have weirdly long toes that I often use as extra fingers (Why bend over to pick something up when I have perfectly good limbs already down there?), so I'm always down with people who make use of all the limbs & digits at their disposal. I also really do love how you pretty much never hear anything from Bethany about how difficult something is/was; she just figures out how to do it and does it. It's awesome. I just wish the editors would trust that we can tell that it's awesome. We don't need Adam or any of the others to point out how amazing she is.

• Love 2

Yeah, I've never understood how teams get SO lost - three hours! When they knew the distance. I get that it can be confusing: I've driven in foreign countries by myself and gotten lost before...but for a few miles, and then I realize that something's not quite right, pull over, figure it out, and get back on my way with maybe twenty minutes lost. Three HOURS. I just don't even understand how it's possible.

In some ways I'm enjoying this season: the tasks and locations have been great, some of the teams are fun and entertaining, and though I find the Dentists irritating, there are no true teams that evoke fiery hatred. But I'm finding this mid-section a bit dull, because there's too big a divide between the Haves and Have Nots. The Scientists, T&T, and the Wrestlers (and Nici and Shelley) aren't even close to competitive with the other teams, it doesn't seem. I haven't really kept track, but have any of them had anything better than a middle-of-the-pack finish? The top teams are too dominant and the bottom teams too weak. I love the Scientists, but what was only implied by their time-bleeding in earlier episodes was explicit here: they cannot navigate. At all. And T&T don't seem much better.

So it feels like we're just marking time to the inevitable Dentists/Cyclists/Surfers showdown. Which, fine, I guess, but it would be more fun if it weren't so predictable. Of course, now that I say that, next week probably the Scientists will win a leg and the Dentists will be out. Which would be awesome.

• Love 3

I always thought the general idea was that the one who wasn't driving should be taking care of most of the navigation, but these two seem to have decided that navigation is... no one's job? Not surprised that this "strategy" eventually did them in.

Well, really, how could they possibly navigate? As they pointed out in the interview, all the signs were in Arabic!

Yeah, I eyerolled at that - they did realize that was true for all the teams, right?

• Love 1

After the "oh sorry, you were supposed to turn right."  "well fine, you drive, but I'm not going to tell you that I saw Phil" navigation debacle, I can see neither one wanting to navigate.    After all, then there won't be a blow up over bad navigation.   You just get lost for 3 hours instead.  

• Love 1

I feel like Jim and Misti's relationship conforms to traditional gender roles, where he feels like he should protect her/ carry things for her, and she feels like she should follow his lead and pump up his ego.  He expects her to follow, and she expects him to take her bags.  Not my cup of tea, but it seems to work for them; it's not one partner trying to impose a role on the other that he/ she doesn't want, so I say .. to each their own.  They seem pretty happy together, and there's no denying that they're doing pretty well on the race.  My first impression of them was that I'd hate them, but like others, I'm developing not only some respect for them, but starting to like them a little.  They're a little arrogant, but they're also mostly racing well enough to back it up; they may have the heavy-thing-carrying situation happening, but she rocked that zip line challenge, and he seemed to have no doubt she could do it.  My 2 cents, for what it's worth.

• Love 11

I thought T&T had a smart insight that they could set up the blankets over the poles and then tilt the poles upwards, instead of trying to do what the bikers decided was impossible for short people, (setting up the poles and then throwing the blankets up over them).

• Love 7

For those asking it's the Hollywood Film Awards.  Because what the world needs is another useless precursor being broadcast for Oscar season.  

Apparently it's been one for 17 years.  It's just that nobody bothered to broadcast it (and I can't really understand why that has changed).

Also... what a freaking ugly statue:

ff5jar6.jpg

• Love 7
I find their dynamic a bit weird, he's a bit freakishly intense, and I still can't look at him, but I really don't dislike them.

I don't dislike her...yet.  I specifically watched for his bulging eyes...and they just don't pop when he's winning...or close to winning.

Add me to the chorus of those who loved Bethany's use of her foot. I have weirdly long toes that I often use as extra fingers (Why bend over to pick something up when I have perfectly good limbs already down there?), so I'm always down with people who make use of all the limbs & digits at their disposal.

My sister has long toes - we refer to them as monkey toes.

• Love 2

Add me to the chorus of those who loved Bethany's use of her foot. I have weirdly long toes that I often use as extra fingers (Why bend over to pick something up when I have perfectly good limbs already down there?), so I'm always down with people who make use of all the limbs & digits at their disposal.

My sister has long toes - we refer to them as monkey toes.

Well I think the main difference is that with Bethany it's probably less of a choice and more of a necessity, right?  

Her toes didn't look especially inherently nimble, but she's very likely had a lot of practice. (don't ask me why anyone has this, but allegedly this is a photograph of her feet--the google search term "bethany amazing race feet" is to thank for me finding it as part of some weird ass, clearly foot fetishistic site called "wikifeet" -- http://pics.wikifeet.com/Bethany-Hamilton-Feet-481964.jpg ).

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1

Ha!  I knew that was going to be the episode name when Robbie said it.  Do people think the wrestlers are getting a bit camera muggy?  They're kind of growing on me.

Extremely camera muggy, especially Brooke.  She annoyed the crap out of my all episode as all she was doing, in my opinion, was acting.

I was surprised Jim and Misti didn't grab that rooster and hug it for all it's worth. Their alma mater's mascot is a gamecock. Locally, we just call them the Cocks. :)

My alma mater played South Carolina regularly and even though I didn't give two shits about my school's athletic endeavors it never got old saying "beat the Cocks!"

• Love 7
Of course that was the only thing I liked about Brooke.   She is sooooo negative.   Whining on the ropes was not going to make that valley shorter.   Plus she is so busy whining and being negative, she isn't actually thinking about how to solve the task.

I guess she must be one of those people who feels better via venting, but that was nearly unbearable to witness.  However, just thinking of her seeing herself. whining like a toddler in the middle of sugar meltdown, juxtaposed with Bethany steady, unperturbed badassery made me so happy.  That Brooke basically has to live with everyone she knows silently comparing her to a woman with one arm, rocking it out without any fuss.  

Also, I don't mind that the editors give us a lot of material wherein other racers marvel at how awesome Bethany is, because she is awesome as all get out.   So they will feature footage of "She's so incredibly awesome" and the only thing that is heard in our living-room is absolute agreement, because that's a level of awesome it would be difficult not to marvel at aloud.  

Tim and Tejay in the tent, I'm sure if any of the other coupled teams had handed the editors a golden opportunity to do a wink-wink, nudge-nudge like that while pitching a tent no less, they would have gone for it.  It did make me laugh, but I was also surprised that it went quite as far as it did with the rooster clip.  Still fun, though.  

Speaking of fun, Jim and Misti might win some sort of award for most surprisingly likable team.  I've sort of had the feeling that it was his idea to do the race and he promised her "don't worry, I'll do all the really physical stuff."  For all we know she's got a tricky back.  She's pretty busty and back problems can go along with that.  Anyway, I disliked them on sight and over the course of several episodes I just now like them.  Sure, he's got some kind of thyroid issue (I'm guessing) that causes the eye bulge and it can be a little difficult to look at him for too long, but he's nice.  They never berate each other and for a couple that looks like they are far too invested in all things superficial they seem to have enough depth to their relationship to remember they're married to each other and maybe being jackasses isn't the best plan.  

I like being proven wrong like that.  I thought for sure he was going to be the guy who blew his stack constantly and got mean towards her at the slightest frustration and in that, I was dead wrong.  Plus, she's done more than one roadblock, one of which she screwed up sort of royally (sandwich one) and he didn't just keep his cool about, it didn't even look like it was an effort for him to keep his cool.  I also feared that they were going to Jesus us all to the point of madness, and looks like I'm wrong there too.  

Also, almost anyone, even Brooke's Whinefest shines in comparison to the passive-aggressive horror show that was the mother and daughter.  I practically did the dance of joy when they kept driving and driving...and driving.  Then when they were done doing that?  They drove some more.  It made me happy (apparently I caught a bit of the passive-aggressive disease from watching them, I hope their departure cures me).  

• Love 10

Of course, now that I say that, next week probably the Scientists will win a leg and the Dentists will be out. Which would be awesome.

Which can't happen. They'd need 2 consecutive last place finishes to be out. How much longer is the damn Save valid?

I think Jim's eyes didn't bother me as much this week because he was squinting in the Moroccan sun and you couldn't see all the white. I honestly don't think I could be one of his dental patients. Imagine looking up at those eye from a perspective of 10-12 inches?

• Love 1

I don't remember what turn it is they have to use the Save by, but I was thinking...if they lost the Save, the physical envelope of the Save, they probably couldn't use it. TAR has always seemed to be a real stickler for teams having everything when they check in. So there is a way that the Dentists could be out the next time they finish last. Unlikely, but not impossible.

Dear Food Scientists:

I love your calm, no-nonsense attitude toward the challenge, and your use of science whenever possible.  I love that you studied and practised for the race.  BUT!

Navigation is a key part of the race.  Part of your prep should have included learning to read and follow maps, including several in foreign languages!  No excuse for getting lost  All. The. Time!

Thanks for listening and good racing!

• Love 6

Speaking of fun, Jim and Misti might win some sort of award for most surprisingly likable team. . . Sure, he's got some kind of thyroid issue (I'm guessing) that causes the eye bulge and it can be a little difficult to look at him for too long, but he's nice.  They never berate each other and for a couple that looks like they are far too invested in all things superficial they seem to have enough depth to their relationship to remember they're married to each other and maybe being jackasses isn't the best plan. 

I like being proven wrong like that.

I've had the same experience.  It's a good lesson to have one's preconceptions disproven.  I find that I can't help rooting for them, perhaps for that very reason.

I don't mean this to sound cruel, but at some level Bethany makes me uncomfortable.  That little girl voice and ever-chipper attitude come off to me as a role she feels obliged to adopt- perhaps as a means to making others more comfortable with her injury.  I have great respect for her accomplishments and tenacity, but I feel like she is viewed as an object- the "girl with the fighting spirit"- and that she is trapped in that role.  Despite seeing her ability to conquer challenges, I don't feel that I've gotten any sense of her as a woman.  Even the way her husband talks about her, it seems objectifying- Bethany never ceases to amaze me, etc.  I don't doubt he loves her, but it just seems she's caught up in this role and isn't allowed (or doesn't allow herself) to just be.  

Despite a weak start, including a cast in which I could find no team to really root for at the start, this has turned out to be a very engaging season.  Perhaps it's because none of the teams are that stellar, which seems like a Hobson's choice- I love watching really intelligent, capable teams, but at the same time, I am really liking the frequent changes in order and suspense re who is going to be eliminated.  And all of the remaining teams seem like decent people and are racing without any drama (I think the woman wrestler is merely playing a role for us).  But is the excellent slew of challenges that has really made this a good season so far.  I'm really enjoying it.

Finally, I have to say, Brava!, to Maya for her exquisite comic timing.  The about-face during the sandwich roadblock last week had me in stitches.  And this little exchange:

Phil:     You make that dove look good.

Maya:  Right?!

had the same effect.  Well done.

• Love 4

Imagine looking up at those eye from a perspective of 10-12 inches?

I never open my eyes at the dentist's office.  NEVER.  The light is too bright, and, if I close my eyes, I can pretend it's the sun beaming down on me on a beach.

• Love 3

I admit it, I was mad impressed with Bethany on that rope bridge (especially compared to Brooke). I just wish the editors didn't feel the need to constantly show Adam and the other racers telling us how awesome Bethany is. We know it, we can see it for ourselves. 

I was impressed at first, although I realized that crossing a rope bridge is probably easy compared to balancing on a surfboard.

• Love 2

I don't mean this to sound cruel, but at some level Bethany makes me uncomfortable.  That little girl voice and ever-chipper attitude come off to me as a role she feels obliged to adopt- perhaps as a means to making others more comfortable with her injury.  I have great respect for her accomplishments and tenacity, but I feel like she is viewed as an object- the "girl with the fighting spirit"- and that she is trapped in that role.  Despite seeing her ability to conquer challenges, I don't feel that I've gotten any sense of her as a woman.  Even the way her husband talks about her, it seems objectifying- Bethany never ceases to amaze me, etc.  I don't doubt he loves her, but it just seems she's caught up in this role and isn't allowed (or doesn't allow herself) to just be.

I don't mean to sound facetious but to me she just sounds like a chill stoner. Everything seems to be a fun experience and nothing seems too harsh to break the reverie.

• Love 7

Again, I still feel that Jim is only bearable because he has the Save to cushion him from elimination. Between that and the non-elimination legs remaining, it's safe to assume that they'll be in the final three. He knows this, so he's able to simmer down his crazy. His true nature will really come out after the ninth leg. Don't be surprised if it's a redux of Jonathan & Victoria.

As for Bethany, I guess I'm one of the few who aren't fans of hers. Maybe it's the constant gushing from Adam or the need for endless talking heads from other teams worshipping her. I just know that her habit of ending every sentence like she's asking a question doesn't help.

• Love 1

Again, I still feel that Jim is only bearable because he has the Save to cushion him from elimination. Between that and the non-elimination legs remaining, it's safe to assume that they'll be in the final three. He knows this, so he's able to simmer down his crazy. His true nature will really come out after the ninth leg. Don't be surprised if it's a redux of Jonathan & Victoria.

I have to agree, Jim has that safety net of the Save in his back pocket or fanny pack.  If he didn't have the Save or Express Pass I believe he'll be just as stressed as most of the teams who have the Pass, Fast Forward, or Save. I say that because of his whole demeanor of being "Team Dominant" and how 1st place is always their spot and whatnot.

As far as Bethany goes, I just think she's a laid back person who just welcomes any and all challenges without complaining. If I was on that season of the race and I'm seeing her ride a bicycle while everyone with two arms can barely ride it, walk the rope, and put a puzzle together using her feet I would be singing her praises to in a TH.  

Edited by ShadowSixx
  • Love 4

I have to agree, Jim has that safety net of the Save in his back pocket or fanny pack.  If he didn't have the Save or Express Pass I believe he'll be just as stressed as most of the teams who have the Pass, Fast Forward, or Save. I say that because of his whole demeanor of being "Team Dominant" and how 1st place is always their spot and whatnot.

On the other hand I thought it was smart for Jim to realize that they probably had a decent lead, and they were getting close to the pit stop, so his wife doing the roadblock, even if it meant losing out on first place, was an acceptable risk since the chance of them coming in last was pretty low.  Even though it was a somewhat physical challenge, it was a smart bit of strategy that you don't see teams thinking about.

The tent shenanigans by the editors was kind of offensive.  I have to wonder if they would have gone there if they were a straight couple?

Maybe if I was gay, I might've taken offense, but I didn't even notice that exchange at all (had to actually wait for another poster to describe the 'shenanigan' in question), so maybe not.  I think the editors would've used it either way, since it sounds like a bit of silly conversation.

I was impressed at first, although I realized that crossing a rope bridge is probably easy compared to balancing on a surfboard.

I don't know. It's one thing to risk falling into water next to your surfboard, and it's probably a whole different equation when you are standing high above a gorge. At one point, when Bethany was switching a carabiner from one rope to another, she was standing there not holding onto anything at all. Granted, there was a second harness still attached to the rope, but if I let go of the rope with one hand, there is no way I would not be using my other hand to hold onto the rope for dear life. 

• Love 6

I hope it's not too off topic, but I would point out to those who are mentioning scheduling, that the show is available at cbs.com the day after it airs, or even the same day if it's late enough on the west coast.  There are fewer commercials and you can watch it whenever you feel like it, rather than when your local CBS affiliate feels you should feel like it. 

• Love 1

I don't know. It's one thing to risk falling into water next to your surfboard, and it's probably a whole different equation when you are standing high above a gorge. At one point, when Bethany was switching a carabiner from one rope to another, she was standing there not holding onto anything at all. Granted, there was a second harness still attached to the rope, but if I let go of the rope with one hand, there is no way I would not be using my other hand to hold onto the rope for dear life. 

Yea the switching would make it difficult. But for just the walking part, when crossing your bridge she can support herself with both feet, and the cable for her hand. When surfing you are just balancing with your feet, there is no cable or anything for your hands to give you extra support. 

Misti/Jim and Adam/Bethany are playing smart with Roadblocks. Misti and Bethany are doing Roadblocks they know they can complete and saving Jim and Adam for ones that require a lot of athleticism/strength (Jim) and two arms (Adam).  I did cringe for Bethany when she came to the transfer point on the wires.  Transferring the clips is the most dangerous part.

• Love 2

Misti/Jim and Adam/Bethany are playing smart with Roadblocks. Misti and Bethany are doing Roadblocks they know they can complete and saving Jim and Adam for ones that require a lot of athleticism/strength (Jim) and two arms (Adam).  I did cringe for Bethany when she came to the transfer point on the wires.  Transferring the clips is the most dangerous part.

I would say it is even a bit more strategic than that. I mean I am sure both those teams realize that Misti and Bethany could complete just about any of the road blocks the race could throw at them. They might not be able to complete them at blazing speed, but I think they realize that having a nice bank of saved roadblocks that Adam and Jim can do later, is worse risking possibly not finishing first or near the top at this stage of the race.  When you factor in the fact that they have the express pass or the save it is a very easy risk. 

• Love 2