Type keyword(s) to search

Naruto: Shippuden - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)

Sakura: I've come to kill you, Sasuke.

Sasuke: If I were capable of laughter, I'd be on the ground in tears.

Sakura: TAKE ME SERIOUSLY!!!!!

Sasuke: Look, I'm sure you have leveled up since I knocked you unconscious while leaving the village. But look at me. I have learned of types of Sharingan I never even knew about. I can summon a giant purple bogeyman. Oh, and I killed the Hokage.

Sakura: Danzo? He more or less elected himself.

Sasuke: Whatever. I killed Danzo, and he had, like, fifteen of my clan's eyes embedded in his arm. And you're coming at me?!?

Sakura: You think this is easy for me?!? I had to sleep-bomb three friends to get to you! I know you're a big deal, but I've grown beyond the girl with the obvious crush and maniacal black-and-white . . . wait, why am I talking to empty space?

Sasuke: (from behind Sakura) Are you familiar with "deja vu"?

Sakura: Oh, come on!!!!!

Edited by Lantern7

Kinda getting sick of the unrelenting flashbacks when Naruto and Sasuke clash. When I saw that the guys behind Honest Trailers went into anime and covered the series, they basically said that same thing most of do: "Naruto wants to bring Sasuke home, Sasuke really doesn't want that." Also, Sasuke is still the biggest jerk. And now, I have to ask a question for anybody who's gotten into Boruto.

Spoiler

Is it true that Sasuke and Sakura wind up having a daughter, and Sasuke is basically an absent father? At some point, you have to wonder if Sakura is that fucked in the head to keep liking him that much. He basically turned his back on his village to enact vengeance, and went through what I'm assuming is a massive killspree. And you made a kid with him?!? Oy.

Adding Sakura to missions as a combatant always makes everything better. Except for the part where she fails to take out Sasuke because she doesn't know how to lie convincingly, and the part where she accidentally gets Naruto poisoned, that is. I guess rescuing the Kazekage was her one shining moment of competence.

If I were running the Leaf, I'd make her work in the hospital for the rest of her life and hire Karin to go out on missions instead.

Naruto talking about "exchanging fists" with Sasuke sent my mind to a bad place.

Checking in to see if anybody is keeping up . . . especially since Toonami is moving the show to 10 p.m., followed by Boruto.

Last episode was pretty funny . . . Kakashi gets ready to become Hokage, and Guy challenges him to a final manly race. Given the tone from the anime, it was refreshing. Also, apparently one dude gets to carve portraits on Hokage Rock. Huge comedy of errors . . . he's ready to start with Danzo, but Kakashi is named Hokage. At the end of the episode, he's ready to start . . . only to hear that Tsunade has miraculously awakened. That would be annoying.

Please tell me one of you sees Hokage Rock and thinks "Mt. Ninjmore."

Re. Boruto, until it gets its own thread/forum

If only the hokage had some way of tackling all that paperwork, some sort of, oh, I don't know, some sort of force multiplier, as in many hands make light work as the saying goes.

Nah, nevermind. That's just crazy-talk.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Terrafamilia said:

If only the hokage had some way of tackling all that paperwork...

That's exactly what I was thinking during that scene.

Naruto: I watched the episode, but can barely remember what happened. Toads and exposition and Naruto eating icky things accidentally. The important thing is that they gave the knucklehead the sealing key for the nine-tails. Because he's mature and responsible and stuff...supposedly.

On 9/30/2018 at 9:39 AM, Terrafamilia said:

Re. Boruto, until it gets its own thread/forum

If only the hokage had some way of tackling all that paperwork, some sort of, oh, I don't know, some sort of force multiplier, as in many hands make light work as the saying goes.

Nah, nevermind. That's just crazy-talk.

I think that the Hokage’s duty is to protect the Hidden Leaf Village and all who live there. Given how much it looks to have evolved after Pain blew it up, that’s one hell of a job. However, there’s probably an unwritten rule that a Hokage cannot use ninjutsu or genjutsu to breeze through paperwork. This is why Shikamaru never wanted the job. Hes good with his job and kid.

Somehow I don't think the Leaf ninja are big on unwritten rules., or the written ones for that matter.

In this episode: Naruto goes fishing. It's only slightly more exciting than it sounds. Naruto makes an excellent fishing lure, what with his neon orange jumpsuit and all. Also, Gai is prone to seasickness.

This week: pirates! Seriously, when does Naruto meet B?

I did laugh at seeing the pirates sail towards the village. "Wait . . . are those pirate ships?!?" "YOU'RE IN THE WRONG ANIME! YOU ARE IN THE WRONG ANIME!!! YOU'RE LOOKING FOR A SHIP WITH A SKULL-AND-CROSSBONES WEARING A STRAW HAT!!! THEY'RE THAT WAY!!!!!"

Another filler episode, this time with what looked like old school animation, wherein a big fetus/Mothra pupa transforms into a Cthulhu/Godzilla hybrid which then transforms into a Cthulhu/Godzilla/Rhodan hybrid. And Gai-sensei still hasn't completely emptied his stomach on the high seas.

Finally caught up on this show (I was 25 behind at one point!).  Hopefully in time for filler to wrap up soon. 

I was waiting for the mushroom castaways to summon something and eat it, but I guess Naruto was smarter than that. 

Okay, it appears all things Naruto has been crunched into a single thread.  So I guess this is the place to talk Boruto . . . at least unless it warrants its own forum or thread. Anyway, marathon launches tomorrow night on Toonami.

On 12/17/2018 at 3:00 AM, Sandman87 said:

Naruto's clones rebel. Too bad it was just a dream.

And that was one fucked-up dream. Clones with personalities is weird. One of them representing Naruto's feminine side through Sexy no Jutsu? Weirder. Might Guy in a Speedo? WOW.

(edited)

Still. So. Much. Fucking. FILLER.

Basically, the latest episode had most of the kids trying to get a break from the impending war. Also Tsunade, who has a conference with the feudal lords, then decides to throw her sobriety out of a window and get shitfaced. Also, we got Hinata getting trained by Neiji during the timeskip, and how she's matured as a fighter. It's weird to see her mousy when she's more open in Boruto. She's not a ballbuster like Chi Chi, but she's more developed there. I wonder if she tells her kids how.many ttrees she hid behind while watching her future husband train. Or eat. Or anything, really.

On 1/6/2019 at 9:42 PM, Sandman87 said:

Yet another variation on pirates trying to take down the Leaf ship with cunning tricks. It's amazing how many of the coastal and island villages turn out to be pirate villages.

I liked the bit with Tenten and the ship. "CAPSULE CORP NO JUTSU!!!!"

Edited by Lantern7
(edited)

General question: should Boruto stuff be brought up here, in terms of how characters evolve from Shippuden to there?

The latest episode in a nutshell:

Konahamaru: I wanna fight for my village on the front lines!

Everyone Else: ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME??!??

So much anger towards the little squirt. I mean, he's come a long way from the second episode, but he needs a lot of people (including a really mad Tsunade) to tell him that he can make a difference at home. Also, he gets smacked around by Temari. At least she didn't try to break his back like she did with TenTen at the Chunin Exams.

ETA: Right now Konahamaru has two jutsu: the Rasengan and his uncle's ash-belching. The kid is gonna be dead from lung cancer before he turns 30.

Edited by Lantern7

How? Much? More? Filler?!?

Latest bit was basically “How Shino Got His Groove Back.” This is a tough sell, since he’s probably the least interesting young ninja of the main bunch. I mean, it’s either him or Tenten. And I’m still convinced his eye sockets are filled with insects. That would explain why we don’t see those here and in Boruto. There, he’s got a thing over his eyes where I wonder how the people around him don’t crave toast all of the time.

Edited by Lantern7
On 2/16/2019 at 12:48 PM, Sandman87 said:

It's a shame that Shino has gotten played for comedy and pathos so often. He was kind of frightening back during the Chunin Exams. Wasted potential.

If you leave out the written test and the forest? Not really. Here's how little respect Shino got during the first Chunin tourney: not only was most of the episode dedicated to Kakashi and Orochimaru having a standoff over Sasuke, Shino's opponent -- the one whose ass Shino defeated in about five minutes -- got the flashback backstory (flashbackstory?) Then in the big tournament, Kankuro is persuaded to forfeit his match against Shino.

Shino's got an interesting powerset and look. It's just that he never came off as interesting as the others, like Dog Boy and Really Shy Girl.

On 2/19/2019 at 2:12 AM, Sandman87 said:

A Tenten-intensive (intentensive?) flashback episode showing how she became an expert at using tools. No, not like that! I mean ninja tools. In other words, filler.

"I'm gonna be just like Tsunade!!" Five minute later: "I'm gonna gamble and get hammered like Tsunade!!!" At least her tools-summoning thing works for her, and having her backstory tied into Rock Lee's doesn't feel forced. Also, she ensnared Might Guy so well.

Edited by Lantern7
6 hours ago, Sandman87 said:

An episode of Sai flashbacks. What else is there to say?

Still waiting for the main story. I mean, it’s nice to be reminded about how far the kid has come from being Danzo’s pawn, but I can understand the agitation of viewers at this point.

A filler episode that depends entirely on Guy (aka "The Leaf's Ferocious Green Acorn") being an idiot. Much flashbackery about Guy and Kakashi's alleged rivalry featuring many touching moments, such as the time that Guy played "Ill Show You Mine if You Don't Show Me Yours" with him.

Naruto also appears briefly, since the show is supposed to be about him.

If Sai could deliver Kakashi all that way on one of his painted birds why couldn't he have delivered Naruto to the Land of Lightning. Oh, wait, then we wouldn't have had the excuse for week after week of filler.

I did like the spectacle of all the characters leaping and dancing in the opening title sequence.

1 hour ago, Terrafamilia said:

If Sai could deliver Kakashi all that way on one of his painted birds why couldn't he have delivered Naruto to the Land of Lightning.

They could have, but the whole point of the expedition was to get Naruto out of the village for a nice long time. This way it can take even longer.

(edited)

I like Guy. He's over-the-top, but it's fun to watch. Also, he looked like Lee when he was a kid, albeit with a different voice (I'm thinking Todd Haberkorn; I'm not a total geek, but he narrates anime lists on WatchMojo). Now I'm wondering if he got the green jumpsuit from his sensei. Or maybe he and/or Lee buy in bulk, and that's why we see them on other characters (Naruto in a filler episode, Denki in Boruto).

On 3/18/2019 at 7:42 PM, Terrafamilia said:

I did like the spectacle of all the characters leaping and dancing in the opening title sequence.

Also, I'm hoping that's a sign that we'll be getting to the main plot soon. Some of the filler was cute, and the idea of a seasick and sleep-deprived Guy inadvertently sending an SOS turtle back to the village is pretty funny . . . but I'm ready to move on. Oh, and DAMN! Those credits are fun.

Edited by Lantern7
On 3/31/2019 at 5:09 PM, Sandman87 said:

Naruto meets Killer Bee, who isn't much impressed. Then he meditates at the Magical Waterfall of Meeting Your Dark Side. Unsurprisingly, he meets his dark side.

What's important is that we are main to the main story. Also, we get to hear Naruto try to rap. "Try" being the key word.

(edited)

I don't really get the whole deal with shunning the Jinchūriki. With Gaara, I'm thinking the Sand Village feared him because he did not come from the best circumstances. Naruto gets the Nine Tails shoved into him as a baby. He had no say in that. So why did he have basically no friends his age when the anime/manga began?

Ditto for B. He's got the weird octopus/goat thing in him, and he's getting pelted with eggs. It's not like he'd lose control, but it's still a little weird. I'll give him credit for using rap to keep himself sane. "Hey, yo! You out there, hittin' me with produce? I'll still be the best ninja this village ever produced! YEAH YEAH!!!! [weird whinny noise]"

Edited by Lantern7

Naruto takes a nice long break in the middle of wrasslin' the Nine Tails to have a chat with his mom, who could probably have been written out of the story completely without any impact on anything important.

On 4/12/2019 at 10:40 PM, Lantern7 said:

I don't really get the whole deal with shunning the Jinchūriki.

I guess it's kind of like not wanting to hang around with an atomic bomb.

Naruto and Barry Allen both have dead redheaded moms?  Seems like being a ginger parent is tough on screen.  

I thought this episode was cute, although part of me wonders how much rime this takes from the Nine Tails perspective.