Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E01: Made In Manhattan

• Start Topic

Tatooed lady is Helen. Helen makes one meticulously tailored bias cut evening dress for almost all occasions, and has terrible taste when she tries to make anything else (her decoy collection included hi-lo loincloths and a straitjacket dress made of material with a pattern of her boyfriend's photoshopped eyeball). Ice maiden is Alexandria, who came in just ahead of Helen to go to fashion week. Alexandria designs for a tribe of equally tall nomadic nords in mohawks who wear pale, pale ankle pants with dropped crotches.

Helen whines. A lot. Her season was daily meltdowns about Helen's insecurities and Helen's feefees, which led to her girlfriends (Kate and Dom, the eventual winner) dropping their own work to get her over her weekly hump. She also liked to pick fights with anyone she could get a rise out of and then whine about being abused. She was very definitely the one handing out seating assignments at the cheerleader table in her year.

She tried really hard to get a rise out of Alexandria, but Alexandria ignored her. This led to a hilariously overwrought scene in the reunion show where Helen attacked Alexandria for hating on her while Alexandria, who genuinely didn't seem to have given Helen a moment's thought, looked confused. Think purse dog yapping at the ankles of a great dane.

Helen then distinguished herself when the reunion aired by a multi-day run of internet tourettes on twitter abusing Alexandria, joined by Kate (despite being the one who complained about bullying in her own season by Michelle and Amanda), and to a lesser extent Dom.

Helen, who literally started her season spoiling for a fight with someone (the first words spoken by a contestant in her season were from Helen predicting that she and Kate were going to fight) has clearly pre-emptively chosen Alexandria as her bête blanche for the season, although I suspect there will be alpha-girl-on-girl with Michelle soon enough.

Deaf guy is Justin. He got the inaugural Tim Gunn save and made it to fashion week with interesting 3D-printed architectural elements and one really spectacular unconventional material dress made entirely of lab pipettes.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 21

He got the inaugural Tim Gunn save and made it to fashion week with interesting 3D-printed architectural elements and one really spectacular unconventional material dress made entirely of lab pipettes.

The Tim Gunn save was worth it for that amazing dress. Wow, was it cool and clever!

• Love 6

I just have to opine, and this will probably be quite unpopular, but I see NO similarities between Patricia and Korina, beyond the fact they are both American Indian. Patricia is obviously full blooded whereas Korina is definitely only part. Not that THAT matters because having a measurable percentage of American Indian blood is rarer than most people think.

But I digress... I also see no similarity between their design asthetics, and both have a place in fashion (although I still think Korina's place is with Chico's or Coldwater Creek, if they do make a comback). Patricia is a master of fabric design and manipulation and techniques which come from her experiences and heritage, but I do not recall her ever doing anything that was southwestern in flavour or feel. I espcially liked that dress she did, and I think it was the first challenge on Season 11, that was leather, with the cutouts, with the paint smears. It was very simple in shape but the fabrication was beautiful. Very unlike Korina's southwestern carpet coat that won her first challenge.

I'm still sorry she was out on the first challenge of AS4, as I said previously, and would have at least liked for her to last beyond Michelle and Helen (UGH).

Edited by PepperMonkey
  • Love 11

With Fabio's architectural hair and beard, he looks like he could be one of those heads on Easter Island.

He reminds me so much of Soundgarden's Kim Thayil in looks that I was predisposed to liking him. Thankfully, he did not let me down!

I love how Gunnar thinks he was anything resembling a villain in his season (s?). Not Ven, not Elena, but sweet ol' Gunnar!

Well, maybe he was trying to live up to that name he has!

Wish I had a better understanding of what qualifies someone with "an idea", but craptastic execution, to move forward. It's total BS, from what I can see. Can't remember which judge said what, but both Kate and Patricia were credited with having an "idea" or a "vision", but Patricia gets aufed because of bad darts and Kate stays because...bad darts are worse than a too-tight dress with clamshell boobs? I have been irritated with the whole "you can't execute, but your idea makes up for it...go to the head of the class" BS since, oh I don't know, a certain winner continually wrapped pretty fabric around her models and WON because of her "eye." I mean, I have the great American novel in my head and it's perfect except for that pesky bit about putting the words to paper. Why won't someone publish my stuff? Oh! Because there's no actual book! 

All of these designers showed enough "potential" to get on their original seasons and now, blessed are we that they are back again. They shouldn't move through on "potential" or "idea" alone. I'd have auffed both Kate and Patricia; get your shite together, GIRLS. If you haven't learned to sew your crap in the time allotted (and you know darn well you'll get about five minutes to do it), you don't have any business being back here.

Goodness, but IM has become a bitter little pill. I would be, too, I guess, if I were relegated to QVC.

So sad that AM's best style was when she was on "who's the boss?". Is it really so hard to style a short, cute woman? What was with giving her an Alice from Brady Bunch 'do? I almost feel sorry for her.

Wow, I second everyone who pointed out that Georgina is just Georgina. But now I can't make up my own mind as to whether she's gorgeous or not. Head-scratcher.

• Love 5

When the women's team was sitting in the shadow of the Plaza, wondering who their client was, I so wanted someone to suggest "Eloise - all grown up". That might have helped them create a more cohesive collection.

Ha, my first thought was Eloise as well.  Although since the character was supposedly inspired by Liza Minnelli when she was a child that might have led the team in some odd directions.

Count me as one who enjoyed the first epi after being subjected to PR 13.  Because my DNA says I must watch no matter what, I suffered thru the most depressing and untalented season and I have a bit of hope for this one.  And there is a HUGE reason I liked this epi - they auffed Patricia.  The judges carried her thru her season when she deserved to go time after time.  I felt a  manipulative nature hidden behind her sweet, somewhat clueless facade  (But I admit to being quite cynical).   I don't know what she had planned to do with that thing she was making, but it looked like another of her arts and crafts projects she used repeatedly on PR.  I somewhat blame the judges for making me feel this way about her (and Helen and Sandhya).  When they continually praise unworthy garments and let them thru to the next round, I begin to dislike the designer more and more. 

While I am not a fan of Michelle's aesthetic, the person who drove me crazy was Helen.  I am not a big fan of huge tattoos, and I think hers are particularly unattractive.  AND WHAT IS WITH the pointed fingernails?  Is this a fad?  On her it is grotesque. The tattoos and the pointed fingernails I could get past, but the whining, the angst, the cattiness of her personality, and the unexplainable judge love for some of her work I could not.

One down and one to go: Helen.  Michelle next, then Ben, Kate and so on.  As long as Chris stays as well as Fabio and Dimitry I will be happy.

It is SO refreshing to have designers on that I can actually root for!  What a difference, and a very welcome one.

Edited by treestar13
  • Love 2

Forgot to mention Michelle going to hug Kate when she came off the runway. What the hell? Is this the same woman who on her season didn't like to touch or be touched? And her hamming it up on the runway when they discussed her dress was too much. She didn't really bother me in her season, but I think she might during this one. I feel like she's putting on a show for us.

Responding in Michelle's thread.

This show is tougher for me to watch than the regular Project Runway, mainly because there were a few years in the middle where I stopped watching so I didn't recognize a lot of these people. I knew Helen, Alexandria, Justin and Kate, and think I've seen Chris March in commercials, but the rest I don't know at all. I did like Fabio's jumpsuit and was glad he won. 

i know the feeling. i didn't watch season 10 or 11 and only saw the last 2 or 3 episodes of season 12 in a marathon before season 13, so i REALLY don't have a clue who almost every designer on this season of all stars is. i definitely know chris march (he's one of my all-time favs), and i know jay sario from season 7. only recognized justin and alexandria and helen upon remembering those last 2 or 3 episodes of season 12 i'd seen lol. i even wondered at one point why there was so many from season 10 and 11 and no other seasons?! the other 3 seasons of all stars had such a mixture of older season contestants and newer season contestants... literally the only ones from seasons 1-9 are chris and jay!

aaaand with that said, i really liked fabio's desgn, and dmitry's and alexandria. they are definitely ones that i am rooting for, as well as chris and jay since i know who they are lol. there's a couple more i'm interested to see what they do, but can't remember they're names lol.

Edited by kaydub123
I always find it so amusing how much more well-thought the bullshit story these designers come up with for their "girl" than the actual outfit said girl is wearing.

Well, except for Patricia:

"She's a socialite so when she attends different parties, her A-line dress is interchangeable to marry with some of the other collections. And then if she turns around, just like this little bit of flutter of how she's moving so fast." 

I listened to this three times and can't decide whether to blame this on poor editing vs. verbal diarrhea.

I was a bit disappointed with the cast, as there were so many designers from seasons 10 and 11, and there are dozens of Bravo-era designers I'd love to see again. I'm so over Kate (why would you invite her to compete for a THIRD time when there are so many more interesting people to choose from?) and Helen, but I'm thrilled to see Chris, Dmitry, Jay and Fabio again. Oh, and Alexandria! As a fellow Nordic I'm rooting for her by default - I just get her quiet, dry personality and sense of humor, and enjoy her aesthetic.

As for the designs seen this episode, I was really impressed with Fabio's and (ugh) Helen's looks. Patricia was definitely the right choice for elimination, I wasn't a fan of hers on her first season, either. Hope Kate goes next.

I just have to opine, and this will probably be quite unpopular, but I see NO similarities between Patricia and Korina, beyond the fact they are both American Indian. Patricia is obviously full blooded whereas Korina is definitely only part. Not that THAT matters because having a measurable percentage of American Indian blood is rarer than most people think.

But I digress... I also see no similarity between their design asthetics, and both have a place in fashion (although I still think Korina's place is with Chico's or Coldwater Creek, if they do make a comback). Patricia is a master of fabric design and manipulation and techniques which come from her experiences and heritage, but I do not recall her ever doing anything that was southwestern in flavour or feel. I espcially liked that dress she did, and I think it was the first challenge on Season 11, that was leather, with the cutouts, with the paint smears. It was very simple in shape but the fabrication was beautiful. Very unlike Korina's southwestern carpet coat that won her first challenge.

I'm still sorry she was out on the first challenge of AS4, as I said previously, and would have at least liked for her to last beyond Michelle and Helen (UGH).

I agree and loved that you said American Indian.  Native American is not favored by many Indians.  Native American is considered white mans way of making things right and PC. It is a guilt reliever, for those who feel we are responsible for our ancestors vision of what they thought was the way to go.

I love Alexandria's style.  Kind of East Village hip combined with current trend.  And this is from her history.  I don't know where she is going now.  

Edited by wings707
  • Love 2

I am not white and my ancestors were not here when all the massacring, land stealing, and other shittiness occurred so I have no white man's guilt that I am trying to assuage. I was originally taught to use the term Indian as a child and then Native American later in life (including by a professor of Native American studies who was Native American). I had no idea that the preferred term is American Indian so thanks for that info!

I don't think that Korina's and Patricia's design aesthetics are similar but the reason I mentioned them together above is that the judges seem to lump them (and Sandhya) under the umbrella of "ethnic" and both of them have told the judges that their designs reference their heritage. They seem to be a little more literal about it than Sandhya. I think the reason they favored Patricia and Sandhya in their original seasons is that they were at least making more unique designs (as opposed to all the other designers making sheath dresses), but they (the judges) kept bringing up how their designs reflected their heritage. That's why I thought it might make their heads explode if both Korina and Patricia were competing against each other and they couldn't give them the same feedback.

As much as I disliked Patricia's pointy darts, Michelle's suede and leather dress was so boring. Usually the judges hate boring but I guess they didn't want to eliminate a former winner in the first challenge.

• Love 5

As much as I disliked Patricia's pointy darts, Michelle's suede and leather dress was so boring. Usually the judges hate boring but I guess they didn't want to eliminate a former winner in the first challenge.

Was Patricia's tent dress not equally boring?  If the judges were looking for original design, they were not going to find it with either garment so they had to go to the level of who made the best item from a technical point of view, and I think Michelle's dress was better made.  Patricia has always been about the textiles she manipulates, which she didn't use, but her actual garments (aside from the very first one she made in her season) have had technical problems in how they are put together.

OT:  I am so tired of the stupid videos starting to shout at me when I'm in the forums. I know ads pay for the site but do they sell anything by being so annoying?

Having Michelle share the same television waves with Helen is doing absolute wonders for her image. Michelle may be mean and abrupt, but she is still on the spectrum of functional, tolerable human beings.

Jay also wasn't as wretched as I recall, so I am still giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Benjamin, OTOH, is even more insufferably obnoxious than I remember. My blood pressure requires that he go home ASAP.

Who was interested in seeing more Kate over other designers?

I'll allow her to return until the point where she gets eliminated in a solo-elimination for actually having the ugliest thing on the runway. Twice now she's been ejected as second-from-the-bottom in double eliminations for designs that are bland and uninspired, but far from the worst thing up there. Richard and Daniel's gold prom dress monstrosity and Alexandria/Justin's HP Prints were all more deserving of the auf, IMO.

That said, she could have been sent packing this week with no complaints from me. Patricia's was weaker overall, and I really hated some of the separates on the men's team, but Kate's was really nothing to write home about. A big disappointment, because I loved almost everything she designed in Season 12.

If she keeps turning out stuff like that, she should be sent home quickly. However, I am hoping to see her in my ideal F6 with Chris, Sonjia and Samantha, with a repeat Fabio v. Dmitry F2.

• Love 1

I am not white and my ancestors were not here when all the massacring, land stealing, and other shittiness occurred so I have no white man's guilt that I am trying to assuage. I was originally taught to use the term Indian as a child and then Native American later in life (including by a professor of Native American studies who was Native American). I had no idea that the preferred term is American Indian so thanks for that info!

This is veering off topic but I want to include a witty thing.  The leader of the Navajo Nation was speaking to politicos.  In that talk he spoke of the name Indian vs Native American.  I will be very brief.  He said that they refer to each other by their tribe name, Cree, Seminole, Choctaw, etc.  If they do not know the name they use "Indian" and are grateful Columbus was not looking for Turkey!  

Edited by wings707
  • Love 3

I agree and loved that you said American Indian.  Native American is not favored by many Indians.  Native American is considered white mans way of making things right and PC.

A friend of mine gave me a CD of a musical group called Ulali (3 American Indian women who have amazing singing voices and fantastic harmony), and I think they have said they prefer the term "First Nation." 

The leader of the Navajo Nation was speaking to politicos.  In that talk he spoke of the name Indian vs Native American.  I will be very brief.  He said that they refer to each other by their tribe name, Cree, Seminole, Choctaw, etc.

*nodding*  One of my dear friends from college has never called herself Indian or Native American or any other reference; she always refers to the tribe: Oneida.

Switching subjects... Helen didn't bother me too terribly during her season. I mainly eyerolled a lot of her antics and the whole Helen-Alexandria reunion showdown bullshit. But I have to say I thought she was really rude to Alexandria when they (and Justin) met at the station in this episode. I mean, how many years has it been since their season? Two? And you're still acting like Alexandria has recently scorned you? Let it goooooo, Helen. Let it go.

• Love 2

He said that they refer to each other by their tribe name, Cree, Seminole, Choctaw, etc.

Most I know (and I'm from a state with a lot of Indians) prefer to be known by their tribe. And I'm not sure how common or rare most people think it is to have measurable Indian blood (or what measurable means in this instance) or how common or rare it is nationwide, but I think it's pretty common where Patricia is from. Korina, I don't know.

It would be interesting to have two or more people to fill that ethnic slot so the judges couldn't immediately pigeonhole anything the designer did as ethnic. As it is, it feels like casting wants a token ethnic person, so there's just one per season. (I haven't watched more than 3-4 seasons, though, and don't remember everyone on those, so perhaps it's not that way but just feels like it to me.)

Korina's place is with Chico's or Coldwater Creek

*GASP*  NOT Chico's!  The blonde Chico's model is actually the wife of my city's mayor.  I've met her at our local store and she's really nice. My cousin is the manager there and there is NO WAY they'd let in the crap of that wench Korina.  :)

The now defunct Coldwater Creek can have her. 

• Love 1

I think I mentioned this in another thread, so here I go repeating myself, but my paternal grandmother was pure blood Lakota and she always called herself Lakota. I think that's a longstanding tradition shared amongst the tribes that they refer to themselves by their tribal affiliation.

Native American is perfectly acceptable - I don't know anyone who's offended by it - but I'm a little more militant in my politics and have long been a supporter of the American Indian Movement. In that vein, I also do not blame anyone living now for keeping the American Indian down. We can't be held responsible for what our distant ancestors did 200 years ago. I can and do, however, blame the US government.

To circle back to Patricia, she absolutely does, on occasion, do things which seem artsy craftsty. I still can't figure out what she was doing with the green leather pomegranate bud strips. It harkened back to the dress she did on her season that had the suede feather strips hanging off it that Nina H A T E D. Didn't look uptown at all, but neither did Kate's. I thought Kate's was much worse and wish she had been the first one to go home.

Edited by PepperMonkey
  • Love 4

A friend of mine gave me a CD of a musical group called Ulali (3 American Indian women who have amazing singing voices and fantastic harmony), and I think they have said they prefer the term "First Nation."

That's odd, because that's what I've heard the Canadian tribes prefer (specifically to differentiate themselves from the American tribes, be those referred to as "Native American" or "American Indian").

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1

So Tara writes:

Speaking of Michelle, what do you think about past winners being allowed to compete? I'm against it, both because I don't think they should get another shot at a big cash prize on principle...but also because I'm pretty sure the fix is in AGAINST them since a double win would be so boring. You?

And Sarah responds:

I'm with you on the latter.... But you're right that there doesn't seem to be much point, because the show is about righting past wrongs (see: Auld, Anthony Ryan; Guerra, Mondo).

And I'm just puzzled how you can think that after Season 3.  Wouldn't Seth Aaron's win (especially over Korto) be proof enough against such a "fix"? And Sarah, you admitted that your story-based predictions sucked after that season.  As for what the show is "about", if it's about anything, why can't it be about putting the best up against the best? (Putting aside the laughable notion that these guys are the best the show has ever had, which no.)

There's no way in the world Patricia's unfortunate pointy boob tips were worse than Kate's mismatched wrinkled clamshells.  And boobage issues aside, one of them looked like a crisp, freshly ironed linen A-line and the other one looked like someone tried to squeeze into her grandmother's antique satin nightgown.  Nobody cared that those seams were pulled so tight the stitches were showing?

But, whatever.  I think Patricia's strength is manipulating textiles into gorgeous, creative designs and there's absolutely zero room for any of that in One-Day Project Runway, where models get sewn into the clothes and hems are finished with pinking shears.  I'm sort of relieved I won't have to watch Patricia come up with interesting stuff like green leather pomagranates and then be forced to abandon them.  I'm worried that Chris March's OTT style is going to be curtailed to half-strength, too.

Get ready for a whole season of draping and tube dresses.  God forbid anyone should ever have time to attach an actual sleeve.

Pfffft.

• Love 9

Nobody cared that those seams were pulled so tight the stitches were showing?

I loved that Kate said, "The judges thought my dress was too tight." It wasn't the stitches pulling and straining so much that they looked like they were on verge of popping that indicated the dress might be too tight.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 4

OT:  I am so tired of the stupid videos starting to shout at me when I'm in the forums. I know ads pay for the site but do they sell anything by being so annoying?

None of the ads should auto play. They will play if you hover over one for a few seconds so check your cursor location. If you find some that do auto play you can report that in the Bugs forum in Site Business.

Unrelated to ads and not directed at dialyn, please keep non-episode talk out of the episode thread. Discussion of Native American vs American Indian or tribe name can go in the small talk topic.

It harkened back to the dress she did on her season that had the suede feather strips hanging off it that Nina H A T E D.

and yet, Nina gave exactly the same dress a win when Amanda recreated it with washers and string.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 3

Like others I'm still aghast at the amateurish work we saw on the most recent PR, so already the all stars' work looks better in comparison. I liked Alexandria's design best and I appreciated Fabio's and Chris' as well.

I agree with those who think Patricia's work is mostly art and less wearable design, but I still would prefer seeing that over routine, boring, half-finished dresses. At least one outfit on the runway had pinked edges, and Justin's outfit was bizarrely too short. Benjamin's was an unflattering mish-mash with an identity crisis.

Isaac's smirk at Patricia's ululation was obnoxious and also very telling. I actually cringed a bit when she did it, because it seemed affected in that moment, but I also find Isaac to be a vicious snob. This is a guy who sells cheap mass-produced crap on QVC.

Michelle is desperately pandering to her colleagues, to the judges and to the audience. She's an unhappy malcontent who cannot pass for generous and upbeat, no matter how hard she tries. And my God the outfit, hair and makeup.

Fabio is still beautiful to behold.

I've worked with many tribes over the years and have significant blood quantums from two tribes myself. The danger is in trying to categorize natives as having a singular opinion about something. I do hear First Nations more in Canada, and I've always heard plain old "Indian" in conversation in the US, and a mixture of Native American and American Indian in publications.

ETA: I don't remember the one who is sporting blue lipstick, but I really like her personal style so far (with the exception of the blue lipstick).

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Love 2

I agree with those who think Patricia's work is mostly art and less wearable design, but I still would prefer seeing that over routine, boring, half-finished dresses.

Posting response in thread about Patricia.

Edited by dialyn

Someone up thread talked about their grandmother saying Isaac dropped out of fashion but then got back in because he needed the money. Actually his original line went bankrupt. Then he eventually did a lot of licensing, including Lines for target. There was a documentary about him in his runway heyday--which is how he got the rep for being a fashion personality. Personally, I don't love him as a PR judge.

I really disliked Patricia's designs during her original season. I too felt the judges saw her as a special snowflake, and gave her a pass on everything. I was interested to see how new judges would view her designs. And the results are in...

Met Alyssa once. She's a BIG Project Runway fan, going pretty far back, so I give her a bit more of a pass as a host than a lot of you guys do. I like the idea of a fan girl hosting.

Looking forward to seeing designs from Chris March, Alexandria, Michelle and Fabio this season.

• Love 4

I am known among my friends and family for being the one with the best memory (this doesn't extend to remembering names - I am worse than awful with that).  While I can recall details about the most trivial things, I apparently wipe each PR season out of my memory as soon as the season is over.  When the designers were introduced, there were few that I remembered a fair amount about (including Chris March, Dimitry, Helen, Patricia ...), a few who popped back into my memory by the time the show was over (such as Michelle, Gunnar, Ben...) Some that I could vaguely recall, but couldn't remember if I liked them or not (Kate, Fabio ...)

The name Sonjia sounds familiar, but I don't remember anything about her and I don't remember Jay at all.  I would appreciate any help on this.

I always find it so amusing how much more well-thought the bullshit story these designers come up with for their "girl" than the actual outfit said girl is wearing.

Although the talking heads describing their "girl" are often shown near the beginning of episode, I strongly suspect that they come up with the story after the garment is finished - an attempt at explaining the explainable.  Some designers are better at this than others.  Patricia should have said, "My girl is an uptown girl who was knocked up by a downtown guy and is attempting to hide her growing baby bump from her socialite friends.  Since uptown girls are prone to hugging and air-kissing, I sewed in these darts to keep anyone from getting close enough to discover the bump."

Edited by needschocolate
  • Love 5

I'm not offended by Alyssa hosting - she's likable enough - it's just really hard to take them seriously when they talk about styling if the hostess is dressed and styled like someone a foot taller with dramatic features she just doesn't have. Isaac, who defended his pet Anthony Ryan's hideous real woman dress by snapping that it's not a designer's job to make the woman wearing his clothes look and feel good, despite the fact that was explicitly the challenge, offends me much more. So, yeah, talk to me about taste and luxe, home shopping boy.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 5

Patricia should have said, "My girl is an uptown girl who was knocked up by a downtown guy and is attempting to hide her growing baby bump from her socialite friends.  Since uptown girls are prone to hugging and air-kissing, I sewed in these darts to keep anyone from getting close enough to discover the bump."

Hahahahaha, I love this! 

I'm not offended by Alyssa hosting - she's likable enough - it's just really hard to take them seriously when they talk about styling if the hostess is dressed and styled like someone a foot taller with dramatic features she just doesn't have.

Yeah this is also the same issue I have with her as a host. Her personality is fine and I do like how enthusiastic she seems! But she just looks awful so much of the time, which I totally blame the stylists for. You're right, it is hard to take "styling" comments seriously when she's so badly styled. Sort of like it was hard to take Heidi's "taste" comments seriously when her style can generally be described as "short, tight, and shiny" (though to be fair Heidi can often pull off her miniskirts better than poor Alyssa can pull off the heavy clothes they stick on her). 

Edited by wovenloaf

I don't remember Jay at all.  I would appreciate any help on this.

That makes me feel better, needschocolate, since I certainly remember you as a regular PR poster on TWOP.   I just cannot place him at all either and yet I see from Wikipedia that he went almost to the end in Seth Aaron's season (i.e., a season with one of my very favorite winners that I ought to remember more clearly).   This is where I really miss the TWOP forum archives for their memory jogging help.

• Love 1

That makes me feel better, needschocolate, since I certainly remember you as a regular PR poster on TWOP.   I just cannot place him at all either and yet I see from Wikipedia that he went almost to the end in Seth Aaron's season (i.e., a season with one of my very favorite winners that I ought to remember more clearly).   This is where I really miss the TWOP forum archives for their memory jogging help.

The recap archives are still online. Would that help?

I would have been fine with any of the bottom 3 going home; glad Patricia had a mercifully short shelf life. The first time the camera panned to her working those ridic pea-pod things I had an immediate flashback to her season and all the time she spent torturing fabric into heinous textiles. I always felt that everything she did was so kid-crafty and trite but when wrapped in the packaging of "a celebration of ethnic heritage" was automatically shooed to the front of the line. She drove me nuts throughout her season. Of course I think that her decision not to use the pea-pods was the right one from a style point of view, but I wonder if using them would have saved her, because culture.

God, why Kate again, whyyyy? If you're going to bring someone back a third time, for God's sake make it Christopher Palu. Or Ari (formerly Andy) South. Or Mychael Knight. Or Uli Herzner. Or Anthony Williams. Kate is like a walking Xanax. 

Other people I can't wait to see the tail end of: Helen, ugh, that horrid personality. I have such a visceral reaction to her terrible neck tattoo and her claw fingernails. (Though, God help me, I liked her uptown gown). Michelle, I barely tolerated in her season; I have a similar reaction to her circle tats as I do to Helen's stabbing scissors, and I hated her affectations on the runway. WTF was that? I will say her impression of Nina Garcia during her season was hilarious, but not hilarious enough for me to hope she makes it to the Nina episode this season.

Hated Gunnar during his season up until he redeemed himself during the real woman challenge when he treated his model so wonderfully. Now he just mildly irks me. Wasn't crazy about Alexandria during her season, til it was revealed during her home visit that she runs a very cool fashion design camp for kids. Now I'm okay with her.

The rest of the designers, I'm either giddy to pleased to meh to seeing again. Love Fabio dearly but every time I see him I am reminded that during his season he described himself as a "freegan," which is basically a person who fishes food out of dumpsters out of choice and not desperation. And so when I see him I think of that and get the yuck shivers.

Would love to see the return of: Laura Bennett, Jay McCarroll, Jack Mackenroth, Andrae Gonzalo, Fade zu Grau, Jerell Scott, Maya Luz, Stanley Hudson, Kimberly Goldson, Matt Arthur, Carol Hannah Whitfield. But nooooo, they keep bringing back the goddamned Helens and Kates of the world.

Love that we all noticed immediately that Georgina was introduced simply by her credentials like everyone else and not prefaced by a "gorgeous/ beautiful/ rapturous/ stunning/ exquisite/ incandescent/ words have not yet been coined in the English language to adequately describe her beauty" descriptor. Methinks the online snark has made its way to the head offices of Marchesa.

To that I say hahaahahahahaahahahahaahahahahaahahaAAAAAAAAAA. HA.

• Love 3

Count me among those who has no memory of Jay whatsoever.

I liked Benjamin's dress best out of everything and do not get what's so great about Fabio's jumpsuit. And no, a jumpsuit is not the most comfortable thing for a woman to wear. Perhaps he was confusing "jumpsuit" with "footie pajamas."

I think Samantha's dress should've been in the bottom, instead of Michelle's. Although it was disturbing how that cutout on Michelle's dress opened and closed like a mouth as her model was walking the runway.

• Love 3

I would have been fine with any of the bottom 3 going home; glad Patricia had a mercifully short shelf life. The first time the camera panned to her working those ridic pea-pod things I had an immediate flashback to her season and all the time she spent torturing fabric into heinous textiles. I always felt that everything she did was so kid-crafty and trite but when wrapped in the packaging of "a celebration of ethnic heritage" was automatically shooed to the front of the line. She drove me nuts throughout her season. Of course I think that her decision not to use the pea-pods was the right one from a style point of view, but I wonder if using them would have saved her, because culture.

I disagree.  I'd rather see her "heinous" textiles (or even Sandhya's pinwheels) than a whole lot of the repetitive crap that strolls down most Project Runway runways.   Wouldn't it be nice if the designers shot for the moon and occasionally failed spectacularly rather than sending another damn jumpsuit with a plunging neckline out for judging?   

I think Samantha's dress should've been in the bottom, instead of Michelle's. Although it was disturbing how that cutout on Michelle's dress opened and closed like a mouth as her model was walking the runway.

This!   Michelle made her model's torso look like a trout gasping for air in the bottom of a boat.

(edited to correct a typo)

Edited by terrymct
  • Love 4

Would love to see the return of: Laura Bennett, Jay McCarroll, Jack Mackenroth, Andrae Gonzalo, Fade zu Grau, Jerell Scott, Maya Luz, Stanley Hudson, Kimberly Goldson, Matt Arthur, Carol Hannah Whitfield. But nooooo, they keep bringing back the goddamned Helens and Kates of the world.

Which made me wonder how many/who PR contacted to come back before settling on the current crop. I'd be willing to say that a number of invites were declined due to other commitments, work or simply not wanting to go through the sleep deprived process again.

Anyone know anything about this?

• Love 1

I disagree.  I'd rather see her "heinous" textiles (or even Sandhya's pinwheels) than a whole lot of the repetitive crap that strolls down most Project Runway runways.   Wouldn't it be nice if the designers shot for the moon and occasionally failed spectacularly rather than sending another damn jumpsuit with a plunging neckline out for judging?   

This!   Michelle made her model's torso look like a trout gasping for air in the bottom of a boat.

(edited to correct a typo)

While we saw Patricia's efforts, the judges didn't. The judges should not be taking something into consideration that is not on the garment on display.  And they didn't. What they saw was a poorly constructed dress and that's all Patricia gave them.  If they didn't take her textile manipulation into consideration, in this episode it was her own fault that they couldn't (they certainly gave her allowances in the past for vision over technique).  I agree about that cutout on Michelle's dress, however.  It looked odd and didn't add anything special to her outfit.  The designers often fail to take into consideration what a garment will look like once it is actually on a human body so we end up with peculiarly placed cut outs, far too short or extremely tight skirts, and outfits that can't be fitted without cutting them apart and then sewn onto the models. I know the point is not to make something practical, but maybe they should just roll the mannequins out on the runway instead of having models who have to deal with peculiarly cut and sewn outfits (or barely there ones).

I don't know anything about the people they choose to have return, but it is a chunk of time to take out of a person's life.  Some people may be too busy making a living to be able to go on the show.  At least one designer said he quit his job in order to be on the show....while that's an act of considerable faith in his own ability, that is a long shot that many people would not feel confident about making.  On the other hand, no one will be completely happy with whomever is chosen since we all have different favorites. We're always going to have a few who were disliked because the producers seem to be convinced that drama is a requirement.  They should watch "Face Off" where the drama is more about the creative challenge and not the personalities.

• Love 1

While we saw Patricia's efforts, the judges didn't. The judges should not be taking something into consideration that is not on the garment on display.  And they didn't. What they saw was a poorly constructed dress and that's all Patricia gave them.  If they didn't take her textile manipulation into consideration, in this episode it was her own fault that they couldn't (they certainly gave her allowances in the past for vision over technique).  I agree about that cutout on Michelle's dress, however.  It looked odd and didn't add anything special to her outfit.  The designers often fail to take into consideration what a garment will look like once it is actually on a human body so we end up with peculiarly placed cut outs, far too short or extremely tight skirts, and outfits that can't be fitted without cutting them apart and then sewn onto the models. I know the point is not to make something practical, but maybe they should just roll the mannequins out on the runway instead of having models who have to deal with peculiarly cut and sewn outfits (or barely there ones).

Kate made a dress that looked like a really cheap wedding dress from one of those knockoff sellers on Etsy.   There was nothing interesting or even well done about that dress.   Patricia's had BAD bust darts, but the fluttery back was interesting.   That whole team messed up when they picked that particular shade of ecru as a color to run through all or most of the garments.    

• Love 3

Kate made a dress that looked like a really cheap wedding dress from one of those knockoff sellers on Etsy.   There was nothing interesting or even well done about that dress.   Patricia's had BAD bust darts, but the fluttery back was interesting.   That whole team messed up when they picked that particular shade of ecru as a color to run through all or most of the garments.    

That color was a bit odd. Colorless almost.  Not the most flattering color for many people.  I don't know why they feel compelled to use the same color.  I did find it amusing that Fabio won when he didn't have his original material...isn't he the one whose fabric didn't make it back to the workshop?  It appears that an extra challenge actually inspires some designers. Good for him.  Obviously I don't agree about the fluttery back being all that interesting...I've worn hospital smocks that do the same thing (and are just about as shapeless) but that's a personal preference.  Not to beat this already dead horse, but I don't even see where the textile manipulation would have been used on that dress...it was far too heavy for the flimsey material on top...was it going to be a neck piece? a hem decoration? I just couldn't see how it would be placed.  Anyway, I'm not completely on board with the idea that backs should be more interesting than fronts since I never walk backwards into a room (though I suppose a dramatic exit is always possible).  I couldn't defend Kate's dress but, frankly, there wasn't much on the runway that I felt warm fuzzies about.

Edited by dialyn
  • Love 2

I didn't care much for the challenge, but I'm happy Fabio won. 

As long as Dmitry, Justin, and Fabio stick around for the long haul I'll be happy. <3 Throw in a Helen and Michelle back-to-back or double elimination and this will be the best season ever. <3 <3 <3 

• Love 1