Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E06: Too Big To Fail

Business is slow at the Luncheonette, and Crosby feels the financial pressure. He fears that he'll disappoint Jabbar until Jasmine comes to the rescue. Hank and Sarah plan an ill-fated game night that fails to win over Ruby, but Amber steps up to help. Drew must declare a major, and he confronts the practical realities of choosing a career.

Best episode of the season by far....that's all I can say.  Everyone....at least the cast that they could pay to be in this episode, was perfect in their character roles.  Next week looks really good as well regarding Julia and Joel's divorce, although I have a feeling that it won't end like I hope w/the two reconciling.

Edited by CMH1981
  • Love 1

Ok, that party? Still expensive. Maybe I'm crazy but my family has had a harder financial year. My son was asking about Disney World and vacations. I said, we couldn't afford it. He got a family party with his cousins and grandparents. Grilled burgers and cake. But no big friend party with velvet tent in the backyard and Harry Potter costumes and brooms for a dozen of his friends. Insane.

Also, I have no idea where they are going with Max's girlfriend. What parents just travel all over and leave their young teen at home? That is also insane. And then they don't answer calls from the school?

Have the writers spent time around actual humans?

• Love 10

Hooray , Amber used her Braverman magic to fix Ruby!

I see Amber has progressed to the "always holding her belly" stage of TV pregnancy.

One more reason for me to hate Drew's GF: her blithely declaring that no one uses their major. I know it works that way sometimes, but I've been unemployed for 3 years because I have two college degrees, but not in the field in which all my experience lies. I'm not saying Drew shouldn't pursue his dreams, but there's nothing wrong with him thinking seriously about employability. I was glad he called her out just a little bit on her naive, entitled BS.

Isn't Haddie abroad or somesuch while her parents are bouncing checks? Oh, and I can't imagine what the deal could possibly be with Dylan's parents, but I smell a dramatic, self-righteous confrontation with Kristina coming soon!

The Harry Potter party got to me, gotta admit, and I laughed out loud when Crosby's Sorting Hat declared Jabbar to have beautiful hair.

all in all, this ep didn't make me want to kill myself. So there's that!

Edited by Portia
  • Love 2

Also, I have no idea where they are going with Max's girlfriend. What parents just travel all over and leave their young teen at home? That is also insane. And then they don't answer calls from the school?

Have the writers spent time around actual humans?

I was surprised by that, too, and I wonder if Christina is actually right and Dylan is hanging out at their house because she needs a family more than a boyfriend-wannabe.

I liked this episode a lot. Makes me sad the end is so near.

Ruby became bearable, but Natalie didn't. She doesn't deserve Drew.

Dylan was sweet with Nora, but ever since another poster pointed out how much she looks like Jared Leto he is all I see whenever I look at her.

Amber had no business at that high-end baby boutique. Has she done no internet research whatsoever? She seemed so ignorant of what her basic shopping list should be. A quick search on amazon or baby center is all it takes, and amazon or target is where she belongs anyway. Better yet, why not wait to see if she gets any hand me downs from Kristina or Jasmine before she actually buys anything. Plus there inevitably will be the big Braverman blowout baby shower.

Edited by JasminePhyllisia
  • Love 7

Kristina's expression  when Adam said that the Bravermans were a "bonus" was priceless.

The scene between Jasmine and Crosby was classic old school "Parenthood." I feel like Dax Shepard is really underrated as a performer.

Edited by AlliMo
  • Love 11

Amber should be checking out Walmart or thrift shops or craigslist.

Maybe Dylan is going to end up stalking Kristina or kidnapping Nora? Or is that too dark for Parenthood?

Why have Adam and Crosby kept there financial troubles secret from their wives? And why don't the wives ever check the bank statements?

It seemed odd that Jabbar had actual friends at his b-day party rather than just Bravermans.

• Love 6

Decent episode tonight! I felt like it flew by.

Regarding Kristina and Dylan, what do we know about Kristina's family? I remember her saying she wasn't close to her mom, so I wonder if she's seeing some of her teenage years in Dylan. She knows that Dylan isn't here for Max but wants to be around the family instead. I usually find Kristina intolerable but her letting Dylan hang around is sweet. I would love it if we finally found out a little about her in these last episodes.

Why are these morons (Crosby and Adam) keeping these secrets from their wives? And their pregnant niece/only employee? My husband definitely would not have gotten a snuggle and whatever weird thing Kristina did to Adam from me. "Oh, our checks are bouncing and we don't have any money in our bank account? Let me just touch you inappropriately..."

Ruby was even tolerable tonight. Her scenes with Amber were sweet.

• Love 3

I was surprised by that, too, and I wonder if Christina is actually right and Dylan is hanging out at their house because she needs a family more than a boyfriend-wannabe.

I think she is totally right about Dylan, relates to what she is doing because she was in a similar position at her age, and is being very kind.  But I see a big boundary issue here, she is having one of her students hang out and sleepover, and it may not be too wise. 

I'm glad Amber is getting real about finances, but everyone's right, get the used goods.  I was quite a bit older than her with my first baby, and aside from shower gifts, bought nearly everything secondhand.  Baby stuff is outgrown so fast, it's usually gently used.

Crosby is off my shitlist,  I'll handwave the expense of the Harry Potter party by thinking Jasmine has costuming and prop connections from her dancing. 

Drew continues to knock it out of the park as a character and the actor is good, he's taking care of business, shutting down his girlfriend's intrusiveness, and being so smart and caring.  The apple actually fell far from the tree in his case. 

Has there ever been a conversation with Max that it's okay if Dylan doesn't ever get beyond a 2.5 on the scale?

I don't know if Max is going to meltdown and rage against Kristina when Dylan doesn't advance past 2.5, or just be detached and not care much.  Hard to tell.

• Love 1

Amber doesn't even need to buy used - surely Jasmine and Kristina still have baby gear kicking around (stroller, cradle, change table, clothes, toys, etc) Plus, a shower will get her all the npcute new baby clothes new moms like.

It's pretty obvious that Dylan has some sort of messed up absentee family situation and hangs out with Max to be part of a family. Why else would she play with Nora and watch TV with Kristina? Although I do wonder about the appropriateness of a student quasi-living with the headmistress.

So Adam is going to ride it out to the end with his failing business and lack of income? What end would that be - bankruptcy? Foreclosure? Dude, call your magical headhunter friend and get a real job and support your family. Same goes for Crosby.

And it's their own fault, since they were shown being rude to clients, ignoring clients, leaving the business unattended for days, etc. first rule of running your own business is that you put in 100- hour weeks for the first couple of years to get established. That's reality.

I liked the Harry Potter party, but yeah, that still looked pricey for people on the financial edge. Although, in Bravermanland (and Hollywood) I guess that's considered a bare-bones, poor family party.

• Love 4

I liked the Harry Potter party, but yeah, that still looked pricey for people on the financial edge. Although, in Bravermanland (and Hollywood) I guess that's considered a bare-bones, poor family party.

Yeah, they were really slumming it.  I'm glad Jabbar was thrilled with it and didn't pull some kind of Sydney tantrum.  But he's a great kid, I wouldn't have expected anything less.

• Love 3

I thought it was pretty obvious from the moment Dylan text her parents and they said "Ok", without even talking to Kristina, that there was something off with her family. Also, when she started saying how "clingy"her parents were, I immediately knew it was a lie and it was exactly the contrary. But this:

Exactly. How old is she, 15? Maybe Dylan lied, and that wasn't her parents phone number or maybe he just lives with one of them and they're drug addicts or something. It was just so weird. But you know what is weirder? Kristina just shrugging things off and not trying to find out harder what is going on there. I wouldn't let a kid stay for days at my house without talking to her parents.

A quick search on amazon or baby center is all it takes, and amazon or target is where she belongs anyway. Better yet, why not wait to see if she gets any hand me downs from Kristina or Jasmine before she actually buys anything.

This. Kristina and Crosby both have had babies recently, she should have already received most of the most expensive stuff from them.

I actually liked that Amber called Adam and Crosby on their shit for not telling her. Is like she said, she's pregnant, she could have been looking for another position if she had known, she needs an income. Although that makes me wonder, how on earth she didn't notice they were having financial difficulties?? She works there, she can see the lack of clients!! Which makes me think, she's not a really good employee or such an important part of The Luncheonette as she claims to be.

Why have Adam and Crosby kept there financial troubles secret from their wives? And why don't the wives ever check the bank statements?

It irks me SO much that these people don't discuss finances with their significant others. Also, even if your kids are too young, you should still be able to let them know there are some things you can't afford. At least Crosby and his wife (forgot her name) were kind of honest with Jabar at the end.

• Love 3

I'm trying to figure out how Adam and Kristina are bouncing checks when Adam said earlier in the episode that he and Crosby were still both getting a salary. I mean, things wouldn't really dry up at home until the Luncheonette had no money to pay them, right? Also, I love how Adam is convinced he can make one phone call and get a "real" job. Can I get the number of his magic headhunter, please?

Finally, I really wish we'd seen more fallout from Oliver Rome leaving them--it was ALL Adam's fault for screwing up the contract, assuming contracts are his purview. But he's complaining that Crosby and Amber are "weights around his neck"? Fuck off with that, Adam!

• Love 6

The three months later segue kind of came out of nowhere, eh? I mean...the only reasons to really check in three months later were if something had changed substantially for anyone (like Zeke's health or J/J's separation or divorce) but it seems like they only really did it because they wanted Amber to be more pregnant?

I thought that both Jasmine and Kristina's responses to their husbands were ridiculous. First, how did NEITHER OF THEM know anything about the family finances until bills were already not getting paid and accounts were overdrawn. Not only do they not really talk to their husbands but apparently they never pay for anything/check the family budget/checkbook, etc. And boosting their confidence and saying "I love you and **you'll** figure this out" is not helpful in this situation where both men already are feeling a lot of pressure. How about "we'll figure it out"? How about "Why don't I get a job, honey?" How about "Let's look at the Academy budget and see where we can make more money there?" 

As the Luncheonette's office manager, too, Amber would so know exactly how much money they would be bringing in--as presumably she pays the bills and does the scheduling. And why can't they come up with a backup plan? Branch out from music--hook up with an audiobook company and do some recording for them...or do commercials! 

Drew is creeping me out with his "perfect brother" routine. They've turned him into kind of a saint pretty rapidly. (I also am not here for Ruby's even faster 180. I didn't buy that she would just suddenly be nicer because preggy Amber took her under her wing. A kid that sarcastic and bitter would probably roll her eyes and consider Amber "old.")

I would guess that Dylan's parents are dead/MIA/something but...someone's gotta be paying for Snowflake Academy, right? Though it wouldn't surprise me if Kristina had decided not to charge people and that's part of why they were broke.

Despite all these nitpicks I do still like the show and damn Joelia in the previews made me a little ferklempt. Even if their storyline made no sense, I hope those crazy kids can work it out.

Edited by taragel
  • Love 4

I'm calling it now. Amber dies in childbirth but the baby lives. With all the talk from Adam & Drew about helping Amber & the comment that they always talk care of their own, I think it's a definite possibility. Zeke also seems to really be invested in Amber, so I think it fits the bill of "hitting the family in different ways" since Amber was a daughter, granddaughter, niece, cousin & friend.

• Love 2

In addition to what everyone said re Kristina's sudden 180 re Dylan and wanting to semi-adopt her, how is it she [as Headmistress] had no previous clue to Dylan's parents' dysfunction?  

Interesting how Drew has given lots of deep thought re how he needs to have a somewhat reliable means to support himself and help the family. No surprise self-absorbed Natalie would dis that and I hope he considers that she'd likely bail first time he had any tough times.  Surprised that Adam and Crosby gave the opposite expected advices to Drew re future planning [and I wonder if the performers might have asked if the writer had switched their lines].

Can't say I missed Sydney or Zeek.

The time jump is just forcing Amber's baby down our throats. I don't think they'll kill Amber off. It would be too grim to end the show with a young death and it would feel horrible to the audience to watch Sarah fumble with an infant/Ryan fumble with an infant for an episode. I think they're going to do the most predictable possible thing with Zeke.

Is the actress that plays Kristina expecting? Her positioning and wardrobe is nutty. In one shot, she was completely obscured by Adam.

• Love 2

I actually liked that Amber called Adam and Crosby on their shit for not telling her. Is like she said, she's pregnant, she could have been looking for another position if she had known, she needs an income.

Sure, because where am I going to find a job that I am not qualified for, miss many days of work because I am pregnant and I cannot drink or smoke pot, and now my chances to find another job with people who don't care if I show up or not, and still pay my salary even though i don't need to know much about anything are very low. I mean, I could have called someone and I would have found a job, right? I mean, I am pregnant, I need the job. Even if I take off for a couple of days to pester my baby daddy, or stay home crying, I am still someone who needs to pay the bills, so people would give me a job. I have to pay the rent and I need to buy those pretty baby stuff. I am a Braaavermaaaaaaaaaan!

• Love 3

Apart from the unnecessary hiding financials from spouse-drama I don't think I have any complaints. I can buy that Amber and Drew were hanging out, walked past a baby shop and decided to just have a look around and then that sales woman attacked and shoved all these things down their throats.

Great episode. Never thought I'd say that about this show again.

I'm glad that they're at least portraying Crosby's financial struggles as realistic. Ok, so Jasmine not knowing about the financial issues is kind of ridiculous, but they have always been tight when it comes to money, so it's not entirely unrealistic. Crosby having to say no to Disney World seemed to be very hard for him, but I know my parents have had to say no for quite a few things due to money issues, so at least that's realistic. And they found a compromise, and Jabbar was a cool kid with accepting it. Jabbar and Aida are the two best kids on this show. Crosby finally coming clean to Jasmine was nice, and I wonder if that's the end of Crosby's dangerous motorcycle rides or if it will reel its ugly head once the Luncheonette is sure to go under, and/or Zeek's health declines. Also, not surprised to note that Adam seems unaware of his little brother's spiral.. Jasmine knows, Zeek knows but that's about it.

Now, Adam's financial situation is just awful all around. He doesn't seem to be worrying at all. He says that he's worried but we don't see any worrying on his end. He has Snowflake Academy, he apparently can 'get a job at the drop of a hat'. Speaking of, that conversation with Kristina, although it is probably true, is also very condescending. He thinks anything's possible as long as you just believe, and he thinks that he's better than Crosby and Amber. Honestly, Kristina saying that Adam won't quit the Luncheonette feels off because I could see Adam easily finding his next new hobby, much like his wife, and dropping the Luncheonette once it's made clear that they'll lose the business. Adam doesn't worry about money because he's never had to worry about money. Not when Kristina had Nora, not when Kristina was going through chemo, not when Haddie went to college, not when Max needed help with his Asperger's (although I see them lacking in that department), not when Kristina ran for mayor (besides two casual lines about money) and now not even with Snowflake Academy. So I'm not surprised that Adam gives the not-so-smart advice to Drew. 

I do like Drew. I don't like him with Natalie. Last season's romantic drama with him and Natalie was really bad. That being said, him standing up to Natalie was fantastic. I'm in a similar situation to Natalie, as I am financially comfortable, but I do understand why Drew needs to focus on his future now and not postpone it another year. Natalie doesn't seem to get that, and I don't know if she really will. I dislike her, nonetheless, and I want her and Drew broken up ASAP.

Amber.... *sigh* I have no words for Amber, or Ruby, or anything to do with Hank or Sarah. I fast forwarded through the Ruby scenes, actually. 

Yeah, Dylan is clearly overcompensating for family with Max's. I honestly don't see Dylan as liking Max as much as she claims. She seems to love Nora, and she's grown attached to Kristina, but she seems bemused by Max but that's about it. 

Edited by jessied112
  • Love 2

Also, I love how Adam is convinced he can make one phone call and get a "real" job. Can I get the number of his magic headhunter, please?

I know some time has passed but I remember when he got fired from the shoe place, didn't he talk to a headhunter and was told "Sorry, there's nothing out there for you right now." and that's why he decided to start the Luncheonette?

Plus, wasn't this the same Luncheonette that was so very successful that Dwayne Wayne wanted to buy it a year or so ago? Can't they call him up again?

I find it hard to believe that Ashes of Rome destroyed them. As someone said, audio studios do commercials, audiobooks, live recordings of lectures, etc. 

• Love 3

Surprised that Adam and Crosby gave the opposite expected advices to Drew re future planning [and I wonder if the performers might have asked if the writer had switched their lines].

I think that we were supposed to interpret this as both Adam and Crosby being worried about their ability to make a living and that, due to their anxieties about the impending failure of their business, they were rethinking their choices and wondering if things would've been different if they'd taken different paths in life.  Adam was the responsible one, going to college and majoring in business to be sure he was employable.  Meanwhile, Crosby was the free spirit, working in music because he loved it without thinking about job security.  Yet, they both ended up in the financial quagmire that is their business. They were both projecting their own 'road not taken' fantasies onto Drew.

As for Amber, I don't know how she gets off implying that she is somehow just as important to the business as her 2 uncles.  Aside from her boyfriend roughing up the talent, we've seen she is one to drop everything on a whim to visit her baby daddy or shop for baby stuff or whatever.  Considering she's the only employee, it's no wonder they're on the verge of disaster.  It doesn't appear that anyone is doing the day to day work at that place.  Who answers the phone while she's off crying, Crosby is aimlessly riding his bike and Adam is running cooking classes at Snowflake Academy?  I also don't recall Amber pitching in any cash to buy the business in the first place or signing for the loans they must've taken out to finance the purchase and initial expenses.  No matter how many great ideas she has, she is still just an employee, not a partner and doesn't deserve to be treated like she is an equal with her uncles.  She is paid to get those ideas as it is apparently part of her job description.

It's actually kinda hard for me to care whether they lose the business or not; none of them seems to have invested the sort of time that is needed to get a fledgling business off the ground; especially in an artistic area where the client pool is so shallow.  Why they are not looking into renting the studio for TV work, voiceovers, vanity recordings or anything else that might pay a bill or two is a mystery to me.  They seem to only want 'artists' who fit their own esthetic.  Beggars can't be choosers.

Even if Jabar was in the dark about their financial woes, I cannot believe any kid his age would think his parents would drop everything to fly across country to an amusement park on a moment's notice for his birthday.  He's old enough to realize that special trips like that are not spur of the moment and that it would require some time to make the arrangements.  Even when they were both working, Jasmine was a dancer and Crosby a recording engineer who looked to be freelance.  I doubt they've ever been so secure financially that Jabar would've even thought it possible that they could take a trip like that without a lot of planning and saving. Or that they'd do it during the school year.

As far as Christina's school and what they're making, isn't it a charter school?  Doesn't that mean they receive funding from the local Board of Education and nobody pays tuition?  Therefore, doesn't Christina earn about as much as a typical public elementary school principal? She really hasn't had a paying job since Nora was born  has she?.  Meanwhile, it's been quite a while since Adam had the shoe gig which probably paid pretty well, but that money has got to be long gone..  They've got a daughter now spending a semester in Europe while attending a pricey private college.  Since when would these folks not have to be aware of how much they are spending and live on a fairly strict budget?

That being said, this was the best episode so far this season.  I liked the scene with Crosby and Jasmine a lot.  I don't know how it happened, but Jasmine has become the only character on this show who is fairly consistently likable.

Edited by doodlebug

One of the topics that always causes much discussion in this fandom is the discussion of money so I like that the show took an entire episode to address that.

I'm putting my bets on Crosby being the one to die. When Jasmine said, "You're my guy. For the rest of my life." I thought, "Don't count on it." I'm getting a clinical depression vibe from Crosby. That look he had at Jabbar's party said a lot. Dax Shepard did a very good job in this episode.

And I'm sending Adam a world of "bitch, please." Wasn't he the one who pushed Crosby to go into business with him? Why is he acting like he made a sacrifice? Crosby had a decent career as a record producer. It was Adam who was out of work.

Interesting how Drew has given lots of deep thought re how he needs to have a somewhat reliable means to support himself and help the family.

Drew is the The Good Kid. Amber is The Screw Up. Those have been their roles since day one. At the end of the day, Drew will end up taking care of everyone and he knows it. 

• Love 6

I'm getting a clinical depression vibe from Crosby. That look he had at Jabbar's party said a lot. Dax Shepard did a very good job in this episode.

When it was revealed that Crosby's been staying away from home in the evenings and telling Jasmine he was working on a big project, my first impulse was just to be furious with him (as usual)--and it really is a dirty thing to leave his wife at home with two young kids evening after evening when there's not a good reason for it. But the more I thought about it, the more that detail disturbed me. I don't think that's the behavior of a man who's just being immature or who's decided he doesn't like being around his wife and kids; I think it reflects an inability to face his life. I've definitely been seeing a kind of blackness in his eyes at times.

• Love 4

I liked it for the most part. Loved the end with the Harry Potter birthday. But I love Crosby and feel bad for him having to compromise with Jabbar after already being cheating out of his babyhood.

I understand where Drew is coming from and I'm sorry but Natalie is the complete wrong girlfriend for him if she can't empathize and be supportive she needs to go. Drew's problem is going to be neither Sarah or Amber will WANT Drew to take care of them. He does need to be able to support himself and his family one day but Amber may be a screw up but she owns it and will find her own damn way out of her own messes. My big issue was he didn't seem interested in ANY career path. Not like he really wanted to do something artisic and went conservative out of need. I was like well if you really don't have any burning interest then yes safe is always better.

I truely can't understand how the wives had no clue about money, neither is the "traditional" man pays the bills kind of gals.

Kristina is really making a bad move with Dyan, and I'm sorry but allowing a female he is romantically interested in have "sleepovers" is just not appropriate at his age, not to mention really perpetuates his confused notions about romance. I didn't quite get her change in attiude about her though she seems great with Nora who really needs SOMEONE besides Otis to care about her.

• Love 3

I wasn't too worried about the expense of the Harry Potter party. Jasmine implied that $2,000 would be a stretch, but not impossible. That leads me to believe that have some sort of savings, maybe not much more than that, but something. The Harry Potter party would be a small fraction of that, particularly if kids brought their own costumes and Jasmine is crafty. It looked like a typical TV kids birthday party. 

I also thought Amber was in the right to request a raise. We have seen her working hard for the company, and I could see her following in Crosby's creative footsteps. The job may be part time, which explains all the times we see her not at work. She's also inexperienced enough that I can buy her obliviousness to the struggling company. She may think they're giving her time off because she's pregnant, and not because there isn't work to do. I think every part of the situation with Amber at work, from the awkwardness of her asking for a raise, to her fear once she realized how impossible that was, was very true to the character. 

One thing I appreciated was Amber commenting on how it took work to become close with her mother. In the earliest season they were constantly at one another's throats, and sometimes it seems the show forgets that. I did think, though, that when Amber told Ruby she was worse than her, Ruby's motivation to change was not Amber's kindness, but fear that Ruby could be a young struggling single mother. Amber is a kind person, but she is not a role model. 

• Love 2

If this were a different show, "buried in the backyard" would be in the running.

The teams for Celebrity were just about the worst choices imaginable. Experienced team that clicks vs. people who have never played before and don't click? Recipe for frustration. Even so, Ruby was surprisingly game until Hank stank it up.

Speaking of which, Hank, is not trying that hard. If ignoring his way through The Breakfast Club was emblematic of how he treats his daughter's interests, he's not really trying at all.

And O, Kristina. When Adam is going on about how when you date a Braverman you get the whole Braverman clan for free, you couldn't give us one decent eye roll to camera, just between us?

Edited by Latverian Diplomat
  • Love 4

I thought it was pretty obvious from the moment Dylan text her parents and they said "Ok", without even talking to Kristina, that there was something off with her family. Also, when she started saying how "clingy"her parents were, I immediately knew it was a lie and it was exactly the contrary. But this:

Exactly. How old is she, 15? Maybe Dylan lied, and that wasn't her parents phone number or maybe he just lives with one of them and they're drug addicts or something. It was just so weird. But you know what is weirder? Kristina just shrugging things off and not trying to find out harder what is going on there. I wouldn't let a kid stay for days at my house without talking to her parents.

Exactly! I find it bizarre that Christina has made no real effort to dig into Dylan's "family" life?  A 10 year old would have sensed that Dylan's evasions about the parents didn't ring true.  Someone must be paying her tuition bills (or maybe in the magic Braverman world nobody is).  When do you figure that Christina will figure all of this out or that she has now assumed the role of Dylan's surrogate mother?

Considering how little time Christina spends iwth Nora, and how Haddie must have raised herself while she and Adam focused on Max, maybe Christina thinks that all kids raise themselves unless they are Max.

• Love 6

Well, it seems like most people here liked this episode but I was left thinking that not enough happened. I guess if it's a 22-episode season they don't have to move things along too quickly, so maybe I'm just in cable-show mode.

Sarah was so Lorelei in that gif in the recap... hilarious.

As for underrated cast members, I think Monica Potter's face-acting is about as good as it gets. I loved her on Boston Legal and I think she's the very best thing about Parenthood and always has been, for me. Her performance is sooooo natural and lovely.

• Love 2

I got a huge Lorelai-Rory flashback as Sarah and Amber played Celebrity.

Kristina's (and it's Kristina with a K, not Christina) outfit during the financial discussion was hideous. A long-sleeved tee with butterflies on it? Straight out of the church lady closet, all it needed was a fleece vest with matching butterflies embroidered on it. But no, she was wearing an odd, up-to-the-chin over vest thing that looked like a kindergarten painting smock. Weird.

And yes, as head mistress Kristina should know all the parents at Snowflake Academy. My kids went to private school and all the parents knew each other, that's one of the selling points, the close-knit environment. And there were 200 kids at my school, not 45 like at Snowflake U. She should have phone numbers and /or emails for all the parents as a matter of course, and should have contacted them the minute a minor child wanted to stay overnight at her house. She doesn't check with the other parents, especially when she knows Dylan is kind of a badass! Who does that?

• Love 2
As for Amber, I don't know how she gets off implying that she is somehow just as important to the business as her 2 uncles.  Aside from her boyfriend roughing up the talent, we've seen she is one to drop everything on a whim to visit her baby daddy or shop for baby stuff or whatever.  Considering she's the only employee, it's no wonder they're on the verge of disaster.

I thought Amber was kind of delusional in her comments.  I almost wanted Adam or Crosby to point out that for all of Amber's supposed value, apparently her powers of observation and timing are terrible.  Heck, even if she honestly believed that business at the Luncheonette would suddenly pick up, she must have seen how little business they have had over the past few months, and realized that money was tight.  

As for Christina and Jasmine, I was shocked at how well they both took the news about the possible financial doom.  I mean, if I was suddenly bouncing checks, and my husband takes that moment to announce that we were having serious money problems, I would be furious at him for not telling me, along with being scared at the same time.  

I also don't really like what is going on with Dylan and Max.  Despite what must be the biggest case of wishful thinking ever on Adam's part, she clearly is not hanging out there because of Max, and it just seems way inappropriate to have her sleeping over.  And that doesn't even get into the boundaries being crossed with Kristina alternating between mom and principal.         

Finally, I just felt bad for Drew.  It must be awful for a kid to feel like he has to take the burden of his sister's problems on himself.  I'm not saying Amber doesn't need guidance and support, but it's kind of pathetic that her younger brother is already planning for how he can financially support her. 

• Love 3

I thought that both Jasmine and Kristina's responses to their husbands were ridiculous. First, how did NEITHER OF THEM know anything about the family finances until bills were already not getting paid and accounts were overdrawn. Not only do they not really talk to their husbands but apparently they never pay for anything/check the family budget/checkbook, etc.

You'd be shocked how common that is, even in this day and age, even (especially?) among very educated, highly compensated couples.

It's actually kinda hard for me to care whether they lose the business or not; none of them seems to have invested the sort of time that is needed to get a fledgling business off the ground; especially in an artistic area where the client pool is so shallow.  Why they are not looking into renting the studio for TV work, voiceovers, vanity recordings or anything else that might pay a bill or two is a mystery to me.

Location, location, location.  Berkeley, California is not exactly the center of the music and voiceover world, even in Northern California. Mostly, they're in San Francisco.  Very difficult to lure prospective clients to a place that has absolutely no downtown parking (Berkeley.)

As for the Luncheonette...  Presumably,  Crosby and Adam threw in their entire life savings to get it up and rolling -- as a new business, iI suspect it would have been an unlikely candidate for an SBA loan or any kind of loan for that matter.  Their attachment to the business is as emotional as it is practical, and it is very, very hard to walk away under those circumstances whatever the practical reality of the situation.  I've been there myself; I lost a business I started in the Great Recession of '08.  One tends to lie to one's significant others because one lies to oneself.  You just keep hoping, praying, magically thinking, Damn, I KNOW I can turn this around SOMEHOW...

So I think these scenes have the real ring of...  Well.  If not exactly truth, verisimilitude.

I love this show, and I'll be very sad to see it end.  Yeah, yeah.  The characters can be annoying at any individual moment.  But I love the arcs.

And, YES to Sarah channeling Lorelei -- The Gilmore Girls is another show I miss bigtime.

• Love 2

So is this show ending in three episodes? Or are there more to air after Christmas?

A couple posters mentioned Jabbar's disappointment at not going to Disney World, but it should be noted that Harry Potter Land is in Universal Studios; it's not part of Disney. I know it's in the Florida Universal park, don't know if the California one also has an HP land (if it does, that would be much cheaper for Jabbar's birthday). I'd hate for someone to get to Disney and be disappointed that they can't visit Harry Potter Land, just a public service. :)

As for the Luncheonette, when it opened, wasn't there a big deal made by some recording artists how it had historical significance, how cool it was for them to record there? And they had a couple of actual "name" musicians, if I recall. How do they go from being so awesome and trendy and busy to having no business at all within a year?

Although, I guess their random abandonment of the business on several occasions didn't help. And the music biz, like print media, is affected hugely by the internet, although this is something they would have (should have) known going in.

• Love 1

The reason I believe that Kristina and Jasmine didn't know about their husbands' financial situations sooner is that in this day and age with everything online, I rarely check my bank account. Back in the olden days when I used to get a monthly statement mailed to my house, that's when I checked everything. Now that I know it's online and accessible all the time, I only check if I want to see if something specific has cleared which is usually about once a month or so. Kristina did say that two checks bounced so she must have either been checking their account or received a notification from the bank. If their account looked fine the month before then there was no reason for her to suspect anything was wrong before the bounced checks.

What I didn't understand about the bounced checks is that Adam and Crosby are still receiving their salaries (he said that if business didn't pick up, they might have to defer their paychecks which implies they are not quite there yet), so why would Adam be bouncing checks from his personal account? That means he has spent all of his paycheck and then some. On the other hand, I totally understand Crosby saying they couldn't go to Orlando because he knows it's not a good idea to spend $2000 when he might be losing his business and his job.

On that note, I can't believe they were even considering that trip. In general, I don't think that Jabbar is spoiled, which is why I was surprised that Jasmine said she would look into flying across the country for his birthday. To be fair, $2000 for all three of them to go to Universal Studios is a bargain. Even if you fly on Southwest, the cheapest fare from Oakland to Orlando is usually over $300 per person each way, so that's $1800 right off the top. It's about $100 per person to go to Universal Studios (although it is cheaper per day if you buy a 2 or 3 day ticket) but Diagon Alley and Hogsmeade are at different Universal parks so you have to buy the multipark ticket - and that's before you also add the cost of a hotel room and food.

Anyway, what was ridiculous was Adam and Crosby hiding how badly the Luncheonette is doing lately. While I love Jasmine being so supportive of Crosby and telling him that losing the Luncheonette or the house isn't important, at the same time I was like dude, you have two kids and you really want to keep a roof over their heads so maybe start making some sort of plan?

Still do not care about Ruby and her teenage drama.

While I don't think Drew needs to bear the responsibility of supporting Amber and the baby, I appreciate that he is starting to realize that college is not just a place to hang out. You definitely don't HAVE to choose a major based on your future career, but it's good to at least start realizing that the future is not that far away and if you don't have rich parents who will pay off your student loans or pay your rent indefinitely so taking some practical classes might be useful. I'm not saying he needs to major in business, not by any means, but it's just nice to see him understand that college isn't just four years of parties in the dorms. I remember that Natalie left her school, but what is she doing now? Just hanging out in Drew's dorm room and not working or going to school anywhere? I liked that Drew told her that the reason he needs to think about his future is because his parents aren't like hers. Sarah loves Drew and Amber but she can barely afford to take care of herself. She doesn't have a pile of money stashed away so that she can support them indefinitely. She doesn't have a huge house with empty bedrooms waiting in case they need a place to live. Drew is learning that he needs to find a way to be financially independent and that's not a bad thing.

It's actually kinda hard for me to care whether they lose the business or not; none of them seems to have invested the sort of time that is needed to get a fledgling business off the ground; especially in an artistic area where the client pool is so shallow.  Why they are not looking into renting the studio for TV work, voiceovers, vanity recordings or anything else that might pay a bill or two is a mystery to me.
Location, location, location.  Berkeley, California is not exactly the center of the music and voiceover world, even in Northern California. Mostly, they're in San Francisco.  Very difficult to lure prospective clients to a place that has absolutely no downtown parking (Berkeley.)

The Luncheonette is located in San Francisco in the Haight which has even less parking than downtown Berkeley. A friend of mine who lives in northern California is a voiceover actress and she has booked lots of jobs (including nationals) that she recorded in the area.

ETA:

A couple posters mentioned Jabbar's disappointment at not going to Disney World, but it should be noted that Harry Potter Land is in Universal Studios; it's not part of Disney. I know it's in the Florida Universal park, don't know if the California one also has an HP land (if it does, that would be much cheaper for Jabbar's birthday). I'd hate for someone to get to Disney and be disappointed that they can't visit Harry Potter Land, just a public service. :)

A few years ago, Universal Studios Hollywood announced they would be adding the Wizarding World of Harry Potter to their park. Construction is still underway and it's not set to open until 2016 so it's coming but not for a while.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 1
Anyway, what was ridiculous was Adam and Crosby hiding how badly the Luncheonette is doing lately. While I love Jasmine being so supportive of Crosby and telling him that losing the Luncheonette or the house isn't important, at the same time I was like dude, you have two kids and you really want to keep a roof over their heads so maybe start making some sort of plan?

I was a little confused about their financial situation.  Does Jasmine not work anymore?  I thought she used to teach dance or something like that, but Crosby made it sound as if there would be no income at all if he lost his business.  But yeah, I totally agree that the first step for both of them is to try to work out a plan (i.e. how long can we live on our savings given our expenses, what things can we cut back on, what ways can we take in more income, etc.), and neither really seemed interested in that aspect.   

What I didn't understand about the bounced checks is that Adam and Crosby are still receiving their salaries (he said that if business didn't pick up, they might have to defer their paychecks which implies they are not quite there yet), so why would Adam be bouncing checks from his personal account?

The best I could figure is that perhaps he and Crosby have already cut down on how much they are taking via their paychecks (which would explain why Kristina is bouncing checks), and now Adam was talking about deferring them entirely.   

Oh, and just back to Amber's request for a raise, if they have barely booked the studio over the last three months, then what in the world has she been doing with her time at work, and how could she honestly believe the situation was right to ask for a raise?

Edited by txhorns79
  • Love 1

I almost can't watch this show because I'm so convinced that Crosby is going to die in every seen he's in!

Also, because I hate so many of these characters. Adam continues to be the worst about everything.

And Hank! How do you not even just guess that your daughter is allergic to peanuts? I mean, obviously he should know, but really, it's the first allergy people probably guess!

And Hank! How do you not even just guess that your daughter is allergic to peanuts? I mean, obviously he should know, but really, it's the first allergy people probably guess!

Especially since he was the one who added "Peanuts" to the game!

• Love 4

Who spends $2,000 for a one weekend trip for a child's birthday gift anyway? I don't think Jabbar is the only kid in the country that would be mighty disappointed if that was their birthday request and it couldn't happen.

• Love 5

I'm glad that Drew has learned that college isn't necessarily just a giant, adulthood-postponing party, but rather is supposed to be preparation for a productive life.  So glad Crosby shut down Adam's "oh, follow your dreams" nonsense, and Drew told WhatsHerName off about the reality of his life -- he's the only one in his little branch of the family tree that is in a position to be financially successful enough to "help" the others, who likely will need help from time to time.  And he's not resentful of that, but wants to be able to do that.  I was worried about Drew's maturity after his stupid "hey, you'll be needing your bong and vodka back in a few months" comment to Amber -- umm, no.  Her life as she knows it, of being carefree and being able to get drunk or high on a random Tuesday night are over.  If she's breastfeeding, she's off the sauce.  And she can't be drunk or high and be the only one watching a toddler.

I was so incredibly annoyed by Kristina.  It was obvious that Dylan must have absentee parents or something, and being at the Bravermans filled some sort of void.  Maybe, for a change, Kristina could think about a child OTHER than Max, and realize that maybe Dylan was lonely and was in need of some help, too.  That confrontation of Dylan was totally uncalled for; at least it ended well.  You'd think Kristina would realize it was a GOOD thing for Max to have someone who could tell him "no" or "not now," without Max's flipping out.  Anyway, I didn't find the Dylan plot all that odd.  My house in high school was always where my friends all  gathered, and some would just want to hang out all weekend, just because their own home lives were not great.  

Dylan was sweet with Nora, but ever since another poster pointed out how much she looks like Jared Leto he is all I see whenever I look at her.

I thought she was Michael Jackson's daughter. 

Edited by annlaw78

The very first time they showed Dylan I thought she looked like Paris Jackson. Of course, I have no idea who Jared Leto is, much less what he looks like.

I thought that when Drew first visited Berkeley, or some other college, with his girlfriend & her parents, he expressed an interest in some type of science field - biology or chemistry.

Didn't Adam have some short-lived job between the shoe company and the Luncheonette? Or am I misremembering?

I still have yet to see any real romantic interest in Dylan from Max. Barely acknowledges her existence when she is at the house. Why haven't his parents tried to help him learn that he has to try to show some interest in her likes and hobbies? She is spending enough time there, why not talk to her over dinner about what she enjoys doing - favorite movies, music, tv shows, etc. , and then discuss with Max how to bond with her over those things.

Maybe Kristina could talk Bob Little into using Adam's studio to record his radio spots. ; ) , then The Luncheonette could become the studio of choice for political types.

Maybe Kristina could talk Bob Little into using Adam's studio to record his radio spots. ; ) , then The Luncheonette could become the studio of choice for political types

Exactly.  Even if they're not in a media mecca like LA or NYC, it is perfectly possible for a small recording facility to survive.  I live in a Midwestern city and have a young relative who is a freelance sound engineer.  A lot of his work comes from a local recording studio which has survived for decades by not only being the best facility for local acts to record (and having a rep for being hip and trendy) but also because they actively pursue voiceover business for local and regional commercials for both radio and TV.  They are also open to hiring out for local musical groups (high school show choirs, marching bands, etc) who want to record a CD themselves to sell at performances and games. Adam and Crosby did do one thing right in that they didn't hire a bunch of folks and end up with huge payroll costs, but it seems like the show is trying to tell us that their only hope is to record the next big act and that's just not the case.

As far as Amber and her raise, I guess she might have a rather inflated sense of her own worth considering her rapid rise through the ranks when working on a political campaign.  The fact that her aunt hired her for the job and she ended up bedding the candidate were her main accomplishments in obtaining a job for which she wasn't really qualified seems to have escaped her.  Same thing here; she seems to expect maximum reward for minimal production.  One good idea in a year does not a productive or creative employee make.  Considering how little business they've had for the past few months, she would've had plenty of time for brainstorming and trying to find new business for the studio but it seems like she's spent most of her time crying, chasing after Ryan and window shopping at high end baby boutiques.

Adam and Crosby did do one thing right in that they didn't hire a bunch of folks and end up with huge payroll costs, but it seems like the show is trying to tell us that their only hope is to record the next big act and that's just not the case.

I realize this show isn't a workplace drama, and focused on The Luncheonette, but, geez, the Next Big Act is not going to just land in their laps.  They need to be cultivating relationships, which I suppose we're need to assume is happening off-camera.  But all I ever see is Crosby and Adam hanging around drinking beers in the office.  

I appreciate that Nepotist Extraordinaire Amber realizes now she needs to be making more coin, but she can't seriously think that she makes a contribution to The Luncheonette... which has been a ghost town for months, we're to believe.  As others have said upthread, if she were really so "tuned in" to the business (pun!), she would have seen the writing on the wall.  No recording = no income = depleted savings = no salary.  Her attitude only solidifies that she's a complete flake about the business: I need more money b/c I'm in the family way, and despite the obvious decline of the business, I'm going to hit my uncles up for a raise because The Luncheonette exists to produce paychecks for me, and not, you know, music.  I guess she's going to expect a full paycheck during her maternity leave?  What is she going to do for childcare?  

Edited by annlaw78
  • Love 2
I remember that Natalie left her school, but what is she doing now? Just hanging out in Drew's dorm room and not working or going to school anywhere?

I don't think Natalie left school, that was Drew's old girlfriend Amy.  Natalie still goes to Berkely, she just isn't thinking about her major yet.  She told Drew she had until her Juinor year to pick one.  That's less than a year away, so I'm not sure why she's so relaxed.

I think Amber asking for a raise would have worked better last year when we saw her at the studio more.  Wasn't she helping convince the guys from the band to try things in certain ways and sort of handling them? She also sang vocals for some test thing.  But if there's been no one in there, I don't know what any of them have been doing.  Have they been trying to book new clients? They should have been doing that before anyway, if Oliver was their only client.

I did appreciate that Amber didn't mention the baby when she was asking for a raise, she made it a professional thing.

• Love 1