Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E05: The World Has Turned And Left Me Here

Something... disturbing just occurred to me. If Bonnie is bound by the same rules Kai is, that means she's undoubtedly not dead, or if she isn't she'll no doubt survive the arrow wound. Either way, she's stuck in a groundhog's day loop dimension with a unkillable completely amoral psychopath that she just royally pissed off that's who is going to want not only to use her to get out but will want a little... retribution.

I don't know if the show's writers are willing to go that far, but if Bonnie isn't being mercilessly tortured by Kai day in and day out for his own amusement until the group gets her out, worse if she literally can't die it wouldn't surprise me.

• Love 1

But Bonnie has power. As long as she doesn't let him touch her then she's good. Plus Kai played the bad cop routine and look where it got him. She killed him then sent Damon back home. I think Kai will try the sweet as pie routine before he tried to fuck with Bonnie again. She has already proved with her dare that her values and convictions are stronger than her fears.

• Love 3
Elena wants to be a doctor but her idea of saving everyone is vampire blood? Then she acts shocked that the pen trick works?

I was shocked that the pen trick worked too, since the girl had a tension pneumothorax*. Tracheotomy wouldn't fix that.

I am loving the pre-med Elena thing. It's been a barrel of laughs already!

*I presume, or something similar, based on the the presence of a deviated trachea as was so hilariously described by Liam.

ETA*.

Edited by raspberry7
  • Love 2
Is there any chance Damon will focus solely on saving Bonnie, and forget about Elena?

No. Even if he wanted to, TVD is not his story. Elena Gilbert is the main character, so the writers are going to write him incompetent and super smart Elena is going to be Bonnie's savior.

I wish they'd just stick a fork in Delena call it done. These last couple of eps have been really quite enjoyable and I found myself getting into this show again. Then I was super excited to see the Damon/Stefan reunion scene because it ruled and it was awesome and then I was like....wait a second, that means we're getting back to Delena angst next week. Aaaaand I was back in that, I suppose I've stuck with the show this far, I should probably watch the rest of it, there might be interesting moments to balance out that crap, but oh my God am I tired of all that shit, do I really wanna subject myself to that, place.

• Love 1

No. Even if he wanted to, TVD is not his story. Elena Gilbert is the main character, so the writers are going to write him incompetent and super smart Elena is going to be Bonnie's savior.

Elena hasn't been shows as super smart for a while now so I'm not worried about that.  Most of her plans of have been harebrained and not thought out at all.  I'll be surprised if she even talks about Bonnie after the 1st act of next episode.

If they don't have Damon spending most of his time trying to get Bonnie back I will be pissed.  Why have all of that character and relationship development only to do nothing with it?  Given that Damon got over his shock and was his same glib self as soon as he got back, I have a feeling I'm not going to like how this goes.  It was jarring for Damon to go from anguish at Bonnie sending him back without her to his sarcastic quips to Stefan. 

But honestly, Damon really could have used vampire speed to bring Damon into the circle.

• Love 1

Elena Gilbert is the main character, so the writers are going to write him incompetent and super smart Elena is going to be Bonnie's savior.

While Elena has always been the center of everything and the protected/coveted one, I don`t think she has been any kind of "leader" to the gang in the making plans and carrying them out department whereas Damon had a fair share of it. Heck, at the beginning of this Season, she tearfully called Stefan with the mission to give her hope and "bring Damon back to her". She didn`t search or do anything on her own. She didn`t even attempt or offer to help with it.

So, if everyone, including Elena, should learn Bonnie is also alive and could maybe be retrieved, there are two options: if she got her memories of loving Damon back, she will ask him tearfully to do so and if she doesn`t have them back, she will demand in a mean way that he does so. Either way, she will just hand out the mission. My best guess is Bonnie will manage on her own. 

It was jarring for Damon to go from anguish at Bonnie sending him back without her to his sarcastic quips to Stefan.

I actually don't think that was weird. I think he was deflecting and trying to comfort Stefan by being his usual quippy self. Plus, Stefan was basically half of why he wanted to go back. I think he was entitled to his brotherly bonding moment. I do find it worrisome that there is no mention of Bonnie in the promo.

I think it's interesting that Damon headed straight for the Salvatore family crypt. Either he thought Stefan would be there, or he wanted to do a little depressed talking to dead relatives of his own. And maybe apologize to Uncle Nephew Zach for killing his girlfriend.

2 questions for viewers with better memories than me:

1) Do Alaric and Damon ever refer to each other as their best friend when they're both alive, or does nostalgia have to kick in first?

2) Was this episode the first time we've heard Stefan address Damon as "brother?" At least in present day? Because I thought it was always the other way around.

Edited by bettername2come

1) Do Alaric and Damon ever refer to each other as their best friend when they're both alive, or does nostalgia have to kick in first?

I honestly can`t recall. Ric refered to himself as Damon`s friend when he was angry over Damon snapping his neck (that one other other time) but didn`t use the "best" qualifier. There was also some friendship stuff in the ghost episode with Mason Lockwood. Ric was technically Evilaric when they discussed their friendship in the Season 3 Finale, Evilaric saying it was the problem.  And he was also technically dead in the Season 4 final two episodes when the veil was down but he did refer to Damon as "his idiot best friend" face to face. 

I remember Damon once calling him "brother", it was when Ric had tipped him off to Elena`s plan to hike into the wilderness, looking for Stefan.  

It might very well be that the "best friends forever" stuff is something that is said more when the other is dead. Which, I don`t think, invalidates their relationship when alive. Despite their rocky origins, I buy them as besties.

Stefan calling Damon "brother", I think he must have over the course of the show. Maybe something in the flashbacks when they first turned in Season 1? That was Stefan as his neediest when it came to have Damon around. And that was with the switch firmly off. Damon told him he had enough and was leaving and Stefan went into "OMG, no, I`ll do better" mode.

That is something IMO very partial to them. Even when they had their respective switches off, it never extended to not caring about their brother. Everyone else, yeah, but the "brother-off-switch" just never worked. Can`t say that about Elena and either Salvatore.

• Love 1

Couple things,

1. I didn't see Damon brushing off the Bonnie feelings immediately, I thought he looked pretty shocky for a bit even as he was trying to snark at his brother. That's Damon's way of deflecting and he does it all the time, I don't think you can take as his actual state of mind. Stefan and Damon both were clearly trying to adjust to the shock in that moment.

2. Ric and Damon definitely had that BFF feel whether they said it or not. Especially with the ghost convos I think it was cemented.

3. I think will be working very hard on getting Bonnie back. It would be interesting to see he and Caroline talking about it maybe, because although they don't really get along I think they would be simpatico on this.

• Love 1

3. I think will be working very hard on getting Bonnie back. It would be interesting to see he and Caroline talking about it maybe, because although they don't really get along I think they would be simpatico on this.

Damon trying to save Bonnie for Bonnie's sake would actually make a lot of people rethink their stances on Damon. I also think it could be what spurs Elena to recover her memories of being in love with Damon. You take the good with bad, I suppose.

Damon trying to save Bonnie for Bonnie's sake would actually make a lot of people rethink their stances on Damon. I also think it could be what spurs Elena to recover her memories of being in love with Damon. You take the good with bad, I suppose.

Replying in the Damon thread.

I was glad to see some kind of conversation over the chickwitch (cannot remember that girls name to save my life right now) suffocating someone, but I really hope they aren't going to try to sell her being traumatized over it.  This is the same girl who killed Stefan and didn't seem to have any problem with murder when she was doing horrible things in the name of her coven so I don't want to hear how she is suffering over murdering a guy who was within moments of dying anyway.  Tyler is in no way my favorite character but I WAS glad that he didn't get turned back into a werewolf because of something as stupid as a car accident.  If/When they turn him, I would rather he earn it the logical way....with that nasty little temper of his getting the best of him.

Loved the Damon/Stefan reunion, but kind of wondered how it was Damon knew where to find Stefan.  Has he got some magic lojack on his brother or something?  It was a weird place for the two of them to just happen upon one another.  Damon arrives back from purgatory and decides to go....to his family crypt?  WTF?!  Of all places, why would he go there?  Is he even aware that he cant enter Mystic Falls?  Cant remember if the dead ones knew that didn't lift with the destruction of the travelers. 

It looks like next episode is going to be all about Trip Fell and his crazy vampire adventures so I guess poor Bonnie is on her own for a while.  I really want to see Damon working his ass off to get her back and basically telling everyone else to man up and help him.  He and Bonnie definitely bonded over there and I don't want to lose that.

Loved the Damon/Stefan reunion, but kind of wondered how it was Damon knew where to find Stefan.  Has he got some magic lojack on his brother or something?  It was a weird place for the two of them to just happen upon one another.  Damon arrives back from purgatory and decides to go....to his family crypt?  WTF?!  Of all places, why would he go there?  Is he even aware that he cant enter Mystic Falls?  Cant remember if the dead ones knew that didn't lift with the destruction of the travelers. 

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure that was the same place they were when Damon said goodbye to Elena.  I just figured he showed up the same place he left and it made sense for Stefan to go there and admit he was failing at life without his brother because Damon should've been in there but he wasn't.

I don't know.  All those "random" buildings in the woods start looking the same after awhile.

• Love 5

I can't remember and can't go back to look now, but Bonnie (and Damon in spirit form) were in the cemetary near the Salvatore crypt when they vanished from this plane and ended up in 1994, right? I thought that maybe when Damon whooshed back, he might have landed back there again. So maybe he just heard Stefan talking to himself inside the crypt and followed his voice.

Edited by Carrie Ann
  • Love 2

He and Bonnie definitely bonded over there and I don't want to lose that.

Are you listening Ms. Plec?  Probably done shooting before the winter break, but if you are starting production of the second half, heed our wisdom!

• Love 2