Type keyword(s) to search

Hollidaysburg and Not Cool: The Movies Thread

The movies are up on iTunes now.

Hollidaysburg: https://itunes.apple.com/us/movie/hollidaysburg/id914235608

Not Cool: https://itunes.apple.com/us/movie/not-cool/id914270293

Reviews have started coming in too.

Hollidaysburg has a few, mostly positive: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/hollidaysburg/

I only see one for Not Cool so far, which is... not positive: http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/la-et-mn-not-cool-chair-starz-movie-review-20140922-story.html

A stab — no, a frantic machete swipe — at comedy that only date-rapists, racists and sociopaths could love, the persistently ugly "Not Cool" begins with rapid-fire gags about overweight, undersexed losers; coitus with vegetables; loose bowels, rivers of puke and slut-shaming. And the film finds a way to tumble downhill from there.

Anyone going to watch them?

I find Anna really insufferable on the show but I'm oddly thrilled for her that she's getting good reviews.  Shane's movie seems to be going through a much more non-traditional method of release. I'm sure he'll just shrug off the bad reviews and say that "his" audience loves it and that's all that matters. Either he never really wanted to branch out or he's simply incapable of it. 

And here is Shane's NYTimes Review: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/26/movies/not-cool-an-entry-in-the-starz-contest-show-the-chair.html

“Not Cool,” one of two films to emerge from a Starz competition show called “The Chair,” is an attempt at a raunchy comedy that is so poorly executed and so unfunny that no one involved with it should ever be allowed to work in the movies again."

Ouch.

And 

Plenty of smart, young would-be directors have interesting ideas but no means to try them out. Too bad this opportunity was wasted on Mr. Dawson

• Love 1

I noticed on RottenTomatoes that both movies are trending over 80% in 'want to see'.  So what is that telling us?  One is getting much better critical buzz.  But maybe Shane is right.  There is a large audience out there that want to see what he does.  Let's face it there aren't many critic under the age of 17.  You see this sometimes with chick flicks.  The male critics are just out of touch with what women pay to see in a theater.  Can't wait to see how it all filters out.

I watched Shane's movie because, well, it was much easier to acquire than Anna's, and yeah, it's definitely a movie for 13 year olds about every cliche they think they'll encounter after high school. I kind of want to read the original script, because the characters are so ill developed and the plot is... somewhere? I wonder if Shane is entirely to blame. I feel like the lead actress could be really good, but she was stuck playing this one note "cool girl" who came off really obnoxious. There were a few slivers of decent scenes here and there, but it lacked any heart that made the raunchy comedies of yester-year work. It was like a "Meet the Spartans" attempt at being funny.

I'm interested in seeing Anna's movie now to see if they still share any common threads. Starz posted a clip by clip comparison of one of the early scenes and they were very different.

Both movies are up on Starz Play now. Anna's was leaps and bounds better than Shane's. It had its own issues, but at least there was a plot and fleshed out characters with motivations. The guy who played Scott was really talented as well. I was really impressed with his version of the character.

• Love 1

Anna's movie was quite good. Surprisingly so.

She was so ponderous, wallowing in the minutia of every scene during filming, that I thought the movie would be heavy too. Not so.

It's also very smart. Maybe too smart for the kids in it.

Still, head and shoulders and miles above Not Cool.

• Love 4

Shane's supporters are really rallying to the cause on IMDB. It doesn't have a great score, but it is far better than the aggregated critics.

6.4-IMDb
17%-Rotten Tomatoes
1%-Metacritic

I just watched both movies. The expression "I'll never get those 90 minutes back" was invented for Shane's movie. I hated it so much, and had to force myself to sit through to the end. Ok, so I'm not Shane's target demographic, but at least I can see the appeal of slapstick or broad-humor teen movies like American Pie. But Not Cool was so offensive and racist, and worst of all - not funny, that I don't understand to whom it appeals. I also don't understand why he cast himself as the male lead. Was it his ego? Did he think his YouTube audience wouldn't watch the movie unless he was the star? Because he wasn't terrible, but he definitely wasn't strong enough to carry the film. He didn't look the part, either.

Holidaysburg was a better movie in every way. I was surprised how much I liked it. It's not a coming-of-age masterpiece, but it had a story that draws you in, likeable characters that you root for, and was better paced. I thought the actors were really good, too, but everyone looked a little too old to be playing 18 or 19 year olds. Anna even had a small part, and she was funny!. Overall, I really enjoyed it. It certainly played more to my taste, but it also felt more professionally done, whereas Not Cool felt more amateurish.

I also took the online survey. FYI - if anyone's interested in taking the survey and voting for the winner, the deadline is this Sunday, Nov. 2. And they have a quick "pop quiz" to make sure you've seen both movies! (Don't worry - it's easy).

I found Dan Schoffer's original script and can't say it's much better than Shane's final draft. It was actually kind of interesting how both Shane and Anna adapted it. Shane cut out the best friend and (for all intents and purposes) Heather, while Anna cut out Joel and Janie, and in the original version Heather and Joel (who are twins) are the ones moving/closing their store, while in both Anna and Shane's movies it was Scott. Anyway, while Dan's script didn't have overly offensive rape jokes like Shane's, there was a cringe worthy scene where Joel convinces Janie to have sex with him even though she's a lesbian.

I'm actually surprised by how much I liked Hollidaysburg, I've even watched it a second time. I do think it skews a bit more towards drama than comedy, but I think it was very relateable and captured that awkward time when you're forced back in limbo between your childhood and your new adult life. It's almost an unfair comparison because Anna completely changed the genre and demographic of the source material. In fact, I'm kind of confused as to why they even picked Dan Schoffer's script if they wanted any credibility -- I guess Chris Moore wanted to recapture some American Pie notoriety? 

• Love 1
I just watched both movies. The expression "I'll never get those 90 minutes back" was invented for Shane's movie. I hated it so much, and had to force myself to sit through to the end. Ok, so I'm not Shane's target demographic, but at least I can see the appeal of slapstick or broad-humor teen movies like American Pie. But Not Cool was so offensive and racist, and worst of all - not funny, that I don't understand to whom it appeals. I also don't understand why he cast himself as the male lead. Was it his ego? Did he think his YouTube audience wouldn't watch the movie unless he was the star? Because he wasn't terrible, but he definitely wasn't strong enough to carry the film. He didn't look the part, either.

Agree 100% I think even at 13, I'd think that Shane's movie was crap and unfunny. Like the poster above, my mind kept wandering during Shane's movie and I'd have to force myself to pay attention. At one point, I realized I had missed an entire conversation taking place in a bathroom because I was looking at the wallpaper and paint and thinking what an ugly bathroom it was (tan tiles and purple wallpaper and paint). When the wallpaper is more interesting than the dialog, there's a problem.

I was surprised how much better Anna's movie was. Based on the TV show, I assumed Shane's would be better -- maybe not my cup of tea humor-wise--but a better made film. I guess I assumed this in part because of Anna's insecurities and focus on minutia, but also because so many people on the show seemed to react negatively or unenthusiastically to what she was doing compared to what Shane was doing.

What's the criteria for choosing the winner?

• Love 1

I was surprised how much better Anna's movie was. Based on the TV show, I assumed Shane's would be better -- maybe not my cup of tea humor-wise--but a better made film. I guess I assumed this in part because of Anna's insecurities and focus on minutia, but also because so many people on the show seemed to react negatively or unenthusiastically to what she was doing compared to what Shane was doing.

I think it's funny that three of us in a row all said the same thing - we were all surprised how much we enjoyed Anna's movie (or preferred it over Shane's). I would chock that up to reality tv shenanigans, playing up drama, sometimes inventing drama, when in reality, maybe it wasn't a big deal. And in Shane's case, he was shown as decisive, and not sweating the small stuff, but maybe he should have? I don't know, but I would think focusing on making the final product as good as you can is the goal.

What's the criteria for choosing the winner?

The survey makes it seem like the winner is determined from the answers and feedback from the survey, but maybe purchases on Amazon or iTunes are also included.

Oh god, that was painful.

Not Cool -

Were they all terrible actors or were they directed that way?  The father was the only person that seemed to have any skills.  Shane was cringe worthy.  It was all so bad I don't know where to start.  Ok not all, I thought the costuming was good.  The make up was hit and miss.  Heather ended up looking like she was 30.  Not Cool was not funny.  If that's what he was going for.

Holidaysburg -

Actually very decent movie.  I had small issues with the actual font of the texting and that type of thing.  Big issues with every single female looking like a Ahnna clone.  So all 19 year olds had long natural hair parted in the middle?  I don't think so.  None of the hair, make up or costumes did anything for helping distinguish which girl I was looking at.  Good dialogue so I think the writer's little hissy fit about the rewrite look very lame now.  I do think it was well edited.  

Do you think Shane actually likes his movie?  I believe Ahnna is satisfied with hers.

I've watched the STARZ show with some fascination but it is the fascination of one who has worked in the film industry for over 30 yrs. It seems to me that the entire show is one huge ego boost for this MOORE producer dude. As a side note, & an "inside joke," I NEVER yet have seen a producer resist drooling over a scheduled "sex scene;" they see it as s sort of rite of conquest!

First, let me just say: Shane, was given a golden oportunity and what is his first decision?trying to angle a writer's credit. This pays no"credit" to an industry that HAS NO SHORTCUTS. His behavior is one that plages his generation; the fast buck. Everyone starts in the mailroom, Pay your dues pal. What he gave us was one "bit" after another with BAD blocking and HUGE camera angle problems; at one point he has the main female lead "skyping" to a friend, sometimes looking into the computer screen & at other points, with the computer visible in the shot, looking directly into camera! His DP seemed like a good technician (he was handy with s camera at least) but he knew nothing about"camera" angles and "set ups;"was there even a script supervisor? A total lack of scene coverage obviously gave him little choice in editing; if one is going to "page direct" one needs the entire film"story boarded" INCLUDING camera set ups. Even if the editing was tighter (the music score moved 100 times faster than the scenes) what we are left viewing is at best a TV sitcom that is not funny AT ALL. Shane, if your going to make yourself a main character maybe it would be best not to intercut your main character scenes with scenes of you playing other roles ie: the cuts between Shsne as the main guy and Shane as lady bus driver were jarring and disconcerting at best. Did he realize this was a MOVIE he was making?

Secondly, Anna: her entire approach to movie making was (ALMOST) spot on; hiring the right people for the job is paramount. Here is a visually gorgeous "mood Indie" BUT what was this movie about? Granted, both directors were given a tired coming of age tale between one's high school days & the rite of passage via one's college days. Anna seems to have pumped new life into the ( I can only assume) hackneyed script, if her flowing dialogue is any indication. Is there any writer or producer or "pitch person" out there that can present an idea without saying... "It's like this or that" or like a million other movies we've seen rehashed? What is lacking is NEW IDEAS or at least a novel approach to the standars. Did anyone else notice the sour grapes emoting from the original writer "incensed" that Anna re-wrote "his baby"... 90 to nothin' I would bet that he repackaged a tired old theme for HIS fast buck. Anna's writing is melodic but her attention to content is mystifying to me? I really enjoyed the look of her film but found myself waiting & waiting & waiting to find some basic conflict; some resolution to all her hard work. Furthermore, as a guy in "the industry," I was actually rooting for this female director; rooting & waiting for her to TAKE CHARGE. My gosh! All that passive/aggressive behavior she opened herself up to. Her husband and brother-in-law questioning ever single action she might or might not take; the usual 21st century testosterone crap. How does a guy get HIS ideas through; by causing doubt in the female of our species, all the while calculating the odds and guiding their wants under the smoke of... "Well it's your decision, I'm only making a suggestion BUT BUT BUT ultimately they were saying..."do it my way!" it is obvious that Anna works well with her male counterparts but this really was HER place in the sun. Where were he cohorts when it mattered most, at the beginning where their input into the MEANING of this film might have been useful to help her recognize that no matter how beautiful the pictures are or how well the dialogue flows the ultimate project needs more than a beginning middle & end; it has to, through basic protagonist convict, BE ABOUT SOMETHING. A real shame that Anna did not see that this was a chance for a WOMAN to make a contribution to the film process. We may all feel that there is gender equality these days & that gender should not come into play in producing art, but the reality is that this industry is still completely male dominated;

Take it from this male who works in this industry. Shame on her male co-conspirators for not making sure her voice could be heard and shame on her for giving us this empty bit of film.

All in all: I hope we hear more of Anna in the future & I hope that by winning...if indeed she does, the makers of this project are after all male & may "close ranks"...blet us hope she will utilize the $ to produce HER art. She is quite capable of making art, her gorgeous flick shows that, is she capable of finding HER voice? As for Shane? Anyone with an Iphone can & does consider thrmselves a filmmaker; he needs to work & then work harder at his craft & possibly take a course (or 2 or 10!) in filmmaking. Shane has ideas & the pulse of his generation behind him but needs to understand that a chain of fun, but not funny,"gags is just that; a bunch of running clips. If he had tightened his editing possibly the outcome would have been more favorable but the lesson here is the lesson of anyone who swims as a big fish in a small pond; the REAL world is a big ocean with lots & lots of talent and to get to shore first you well, just have to be a stroke ahead. For both, hard lessons to learn...

It sure as hell didn't help that this entire production was structured in a stale HOLLYWOOD base; I just "loved" the powers that be bellowing out one word of wisdom after the other as if they were veteran (well established well earned) filmmakers... I especially "loved" the sequence that stated that the ONLY DIFFERENCE between union & non-union crews was the fact that one had to "pay into health welfare & annuity." The only difference in the industry is whether any given producer at any given time eats TUNA FISH or LOBSTER for lunch ('dem greedy dogs)!! In a production interested in showing the workings & financial wows faced by Indie Filmmaking, they certainly (literally) made sure their faces were fed in the food line, munching away as they gawked at the sex scenes!! Oh well, it's reality TV after all .

Interesting post, Chaz. Thanks for your insider's view.

Q re: writing credits. I noticed that Dan was the sole writer for both movies in the credits, even though Shane and Anna (especially) co-wrote or re-wrote most of the script. If I recall, they talked about co-writing credit in one of the earlier episodes, but I forget. Something about strict rules of the Writers Guild? Does anyone remember?

About Anna - I hope she wins, but if so, I'm skeptical about it being a platform for female directors in such a male-dominated industry (as the post above talked about) only because she and Victor and Phil work as a team and repeatedly talk about themselves as such a team. I don't know if I see that changing, although it's possible this experience changes her thinking or ambitions. I hope so.

Q re: writing credits. I noticed that Dan was the sole writer for both movies in the credits, even though Shane and Anna (especially) co-wrote or re-wrote most of the script. If I recall, they talked about co-writing credit in one of the earlier episodes, but I forget. Something about strict rules of the Writers Guild? Does anyone remember?

I thought Anna, Victor, and Phil were getting some sort of credit based on how extensive their rewrite was, and that's what Shane was bitching about, because he thought he deserved a credit for his movie too. I read Dan's script, and Shane's movie didn't diverge from it that much with the exception of all his awful, unfunny jokes. Much of the dialogue was exactly what was written in Dan's script. Anna's on the other hand was completely overhauled, and only the basic story structure of the original scripts and character names remained. On IMDB it looks like Anna, Victor, and Phil got "uncredited" writing credits, while Shane did not, so I too am interested how it works.

On another note, did anyone notice Zachary Quinto's absence in Not Cool's credits? It appears on his IMDB page, but I didn't see it during the actual film, which I found interesting. You go Zachary Quinto.

• Love 3

^^^ Found this article on twitter this morning: http://xfinity.comcast.net/blogs/tv/2014/10/31/exclusive-clip-zachary-quinto-voices-anger-over-filmmakers-smut-in-the-chair/

Curious how much he was kept updated on what was happening. I remember Corey telling Shane that he was keeping Zach informed. Also curious to know if he voiced any of these concerns to Shane, beyond the vague be mindful of taste we've heard hims say during the interviews. Looks like shit is about to go down. 

I don't know what annoys me more about Dawson, his cheap offensive humor or his inability to understand why other people would find his humor cheap and offensive. But I will watch the movie and try my best to be objective. I found a free link. 

I will rent Anna's since the thought of spending money on hers doesn't cause me pain. People seem to be liking it. 

I don't know what annoys me more about Dawson, his cheap offensive humor or his inability to understand why other people would find his humor cheap and offensive. But I will watch the movie and try my best to be objective. I found a free link. 

I will rent Anna's since the thought of spending money on hers doesn't cause me pain. People seem to be liking it.

FYI - in case you don't know, both movies are currently available on Starz.

I tried to watch Not Cool last night. After "Dark meat.", a black character eating feces and drinking urine and "This must be how black people dance." I turned it off. 

Easy decision for me.

• Love 2

Interesting post, Chaz. Thanks for your insider's view.

About Anna - I hope she wins, but if so, I'm skeptical about it being a platform for female directors in such a male-dominated industry (as the post above talked about) only because she and Victor and Phil work as a team and repeatedly talk about themselves as such a team. I don't know if I see that changing, although it's possible this experience changes her thinking or ambitions. I hope so.

The WGA rules require 1/3 original material to obtain credit on a film. However, if the director is one of the writers it bumps up to 1/2. Any WGA member is also entitled to arbitration, but in a case like this where the director is not a WGA member I don't really know how it would work. That's all of course assuming that the production company is a guild signatory, but as they had other union crew members they probably are.

My guess is that both directors were advised not to push for credit, or that if they were it was determined that neither rose to the required 1/2 level of material contribution.

• Love 3

The WGA rules require 1/3 original material to obtain credit on a film. However, if the director is one of the writers it bumps up to 1/2. Any WGA member is also entitled to arbitration, but in a case like this where the director is not a WGA member I don't really know how it would work. That's all of course assuming that the production company is a guild signatory, but as they had other union crew members they probably are.

My guess is that both directors were advised not to push for credit, or that if they were it was determined that neither rose to the required 1/2 level of material contribution.

Makes sense. Thank you!

That's interesting. Didn't Schoffer admit that the movie Anna was filming was not really his script? (Not that such a casual statement would be the definitive determination.)

He did, and I would imagine he was mostly talking about the dialogue, but from the way everyone talks it does sound like Ahna's team could have a strong case for credit. Thats why I bet there were background discussions we didn't see asking them not to push it.

Watched both. 

Hollidaysburg. For the most part I liked it. I'd watch it again. I was surprised at how much I related to aspects of it. At times it definitely had that pretentiousness you find from indies, but overall it was a good movie. The cinematography was great. It definitely looked like a professionally made film. I preferred the secondary storyline to the main one. There was some good dialogue that you could unpack for meaning and then some that made me roll my eyes. It's the better movie by far. 

Not Cool - Not much to say, other than what has been said. It's bad, unfunny, and offensive. I love that he wanted to cast all these minority actors but then used them as nothing but stereotypes and punchlines. If that's all you want them for, I'd rather you just not have any in the movie. That sad thing is, I see what he was going for. I was surprised at how well the lead actress did, but his writing so...lacking in any thought that it was a waste. I see why Quinto wanted his name off it. Neither he nor Neal Dodson are credited. Dawson seems like a decent guy, but when multiple sources are telling you your content is offensive, you need to start thinking about why that is. 

Edited by jaj

I agree with pretty much everything Neal said, but I don't understand, given the voting structure, why Shane was ever chosen in the first place. This has always been Shane's competition to lose, the producers were only betting on whether he'd make a worthy film or not. If they wanted to get more people to watch The Chair while still keeping the playing field fair, they should have drawn from three voting groups. The producers who had a foot in both races, a control audience who has watched both films, and then the general voting audience. Otherwise the person with the rabid fan base will always win.

• Love 3

"The Chair" producer Neal Dodson, who was also a producer on both films, has written an extensive article for TheWrap urging people to vote for Anna.

He doesn't mince words here. He does talk about the online campaign. If anyone is interested just check out his twitter. Be careful since just looking at his twitter signs you up to follow him. So uncheck it later. The tweets that are pro Shane are pretty much of the tween mentality. I will predict that if Anna wins you will see the hater set up that is so common in twitter. One or two people with a dozen accounts will spend hours each day hating Anna for everything from her hair to her husband. And since it is their only identity they will do this forever.

Shane is promising a retweet AND follow to anyone that tweets the vote confirmation. Trust me when I tell you that this is as good as a date with Shane. If you want to test what happens tweet a positive Anna with a negative Shane and you will suddenly be one akin to Hitler.

Now one of the questions asked in the survey is whether you follow the director on social media. Interesting that Shane's followers are telling each other to answer no to this. They also have a hashtag going for the answers to Anna's movie so you can fool the survey.

If you were Shane and you won, would you think this was a victory? Given his behavior in last nights episode I say yes.

"The Chair" producer Neal Dodson, who was also a producer on both films, has written an extensive article for TheWrap urging people to vote for Anna.

!

Man, they're not even trying anymore.

"- Hey, guys, we know that we hired Shane Dawson for his fanbase, in order to get people talking about our show, and create some online buzz, and we knew perfectly well that his work was juvenile, crass and dumb before we chose him... but now that we got your views for our tv show, your cash for our movies, and your buzz online, it's time for us to drop all pretense of objectivity & impartiality : it would be nice if you just all voted for Anna, cos she's our friend, and this whole contest was supposed to be the launch of her career. And let's face it, we never wanted to give childish Shane Dawson any cash, or intended to have him win the show, his movie was always gonna suck, and we just wanted to capitalize on his online presence. Okthxbye."

(and both Dodson & Quinaz getting into internet fights in that article's comments with an anon they think is the original writer, or Quinaz playing the "we're poor, struggling, starving artists with a vision, and we've been screwed by evil corporate people that constantly changed the rules of the competition to have Dawson win", only makes me wanna see the whole contest crash and burn, quite frankly)

Edited by Kaoteek

In another thread, I mentioned that I watched Not Cool online (for free). It wasn't the worst movie I've seen, but it's one of the worst.

I read Neal Dodson's Wrap post about why he wants Hollidaysburg to win. I'm glad Neal enjoyed Cherami Leigh's (Tori) and Michelle Veintimilla's (Janie) in Shane's movie. As I said elsewhere in this forum, I thought the two did a fine job with the material they were given. They were the only truly watchable ones in the film. If they hadn't been cast in Shane's movie, then I'd be able to give his film the title of "The Worst Movie." I hope that, for the actresses' sake, this movie doesn't screw them over in some way professionally because it's a big steaming pile of poo. I would like to see them in other features too.

Also, I expected to be more offended by Shane's movie when watching the entire thing. His movie is grossly offensive, but we saw all of the worst scenes on the show, so there wasn't anything left in the final version to shock me. Given last night's episode, there might have been even more material that was offensive, but I'm guessing those clips were cut. Not that I think Shane could have had more to cut, but I wonder if Lauren convinced him to do away with a few pieces. I know Shane does all the work on his YouTube videos, but playing the lead and playing characters in drag were not wise moves. I think he might have made a better (OK, more passable) movie if he had hired real actors to play Scott and the secondary characters.

Anyway. I watched Hollidaysburg on Starz On Demand. I enjoyed Anna's movie more than I had thought I would. I don't mind indie films as long as the characters are quirky in some way and the dialogue, tone, and cinematography mesh well. As obsessive as Anna is about the most minute details, I was expecting some lag in the final cut, but was surprised when everything moved along seamlessly and made sense. I also agree with Neal that Rachel Keller (Tori), Tobin Mitnick (Scott), Claire Chapelli (Heather), and Tristan Erwin (Petroff) were perfect as their characters and had chemistry with one another in a way that Shane's didn't. I didn't even mind that Anna gave herself a smaller role because she was fine and her presence didn't distract from we were supposed to focus on.

Anna knows how to tell a story. I'm not entirely sure directing is her forte, but maybe she wants to branch out in that direction. As a storyteller, she knows how to grab my attention immediately. It's so strange for me to say that because, as a person, she comes as insecure, anal retentive, and kind of annoying. Maybe that's just from the stress of being on a show about making your directorial debut, who knows? The Victor/Phil angle kind of bothers me in that it takes me back to Project Greenlight and the season of co-directors Kyle Rankin and Efrem Potelle. Even the actors got pissed off at them. I guess if Anna is at her best when Victor and Phil are around, then why fix something that isn't broken? I hope she's a more independent woman off-screen or that will make me sad.

I voted on the films and chose Anna's to win. To compare her movie to Shane's is laughable, but the viewers only have those two choices. Even if Shane wins, Anna will be fine because she has genuine talent. I expect that Shane's will win and he'll take that as validation he has genuine talent and a viewpoint to offer film audiences.

Edited by Surrealist

Watched both today so I could vote, but really only want to talk about Hollidaysburg, which I thought was fine but not life-changing. Actually, for it's tiny budget, it's a remarkably good film.

Quick question that I should maybe know the answer to. Why did Anna's character have vocal chord strain?

It didn't seem to lead anywhere or be all that interesting a character trait. Did they just not get good sound from her and have to explain it away? Did I miss something?

I'm not sure if I should spoiler tag specific plot points in this thread so I will to be safe.

I found Heather/Petroff more interesting and likable than Tori/Scott.

I also felt like the kiss Katie laid on Tori came out of nowhere. They didn't really need to go there (two friends drifting apart was enough) and it didn't seem well established that that was a subtext of their relationship. It was a dramatic note to end their fight on, I guess. Either way, I'm glad they had the airport bus station scene together.

Edited by Latverian Diplomat

Quick question that I should maybe know the answer to. Why did Anna's character have vocal chord strain?

I found Heather/Petroff more interesting and likable than Tori/Scott.

I also felt like the kiss Katie laid on Tori came out of nowhere. They didn't really need to go there (two friends drifting apart was enough) and it didn't seem well established that that was a subtext of their relationship. It was a dramatic note to end their fight on, I guess. Either way, I'm glad they had the airport scene together.

You know, I don't remember why she had vocal strain, but it wasn't a necessary addition.

I completely agree with you about that pairing versus Tori and Scott's. I, too, thought that other scene you mentioned came out of nowhere and it didn't line up with what we had seen about their friendship earlier in the movie.

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 1

I really want to vote for Anna's movie but I literally can't bring myself to waste my time watching Shane's movie. I shall head Zach's warning so that I don't regret the time spent.

I understand the sentiment, and it was probably a futile effort, but I had the time and I felt motivated to strike a (tiny) blow for good taste today. I was braced for the offensiveness of Shane's film, but I didn't expect to find it so boring. It was quite a slog. I paused it for five minutes every twenty minutes or so just to give myself a break and do something more entertaining like washing a few dishes. Not kidding about that.

Edited by Latverian Diplomat
  • Love 2

And......he's making that face on next week's episode

http://www.starz.com/PublishingImages/Originals/The%20Chair/Episodes/e110/1_F1A5607_rt_900x506.jpg

eta: I wonder if he blanks his face and goes to his 'happy' place when someone is saying something he doesn't like. I know he's had problems in his past, but facing hard truths is the only way to move forward. But that's just MHO.

Edited by WaltersHair

As much as it pains me to do so, I have to agree with Shane that Anna had producer connections before joining the show and making her movie.

Yes, Shane has a larger fanbase, but Anna already knew Neal & Co. One could argue that she shouldn't have been able to participate on that alone.

While Shane's 10 million followers would be a much more potent advantage than Ah-na's friendships with the producers, I think both Shane and Ah-na would agree that "winning" this competition is secondary to their real goal--using this show to launch their directing careers.

if either one of these pretentious twits are able to become "real" directors with many box office and/or awards accomplishments behind them, then winning or losing this little show will become an inconsequential blip on their resumes.