Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E07: Date Expectations

Cranberry

OMG the look Karma gives Reagan is killing me.

Amy and Reagan sounds like trolls. They are so me to be honest.

Edit because I spelled Karma, Karmen. See I am an asshole

Edited by mjgchick

hmm, seems like quite a lot will happen on that date.. seen some stills on twitter.. especially last one was interesting with Liam in the car and Karma outside crying..

Okay that was a fun episode. This was Faking It at its best. After the last couple of weeks a sort of filler this one really was good.

Karma and Reagan trying to outdo the other was great. Especially ending with Karma stabbing Amy with the epi. But Karma you might need to analyze why you keep getting upset when you see Amy moving on from you. When Liam can see this you know there is an issue.

Of course as perceptive as Liam might be, he should also take into account that a lot of the awkwardness going on waLas because he and Amy were trying to cover their secret.

Shane definitely manipulated this situation.

Lauren was great. Loved the 'flirting' with her and Duke. It was so fake.

First thought on the preview was "Wade! O how I have missed you."

Edited by ybrik

Theo is probably a cop... lol what else he could be?  he said he needs more time..

After seeing him talking suspiciously on his cel, that's what I'm thinking too. Undercover cop....investigating.... something or someone at the school.    21 Jump Street style! 

• Love 1

Whoa! Did they get new writers? People who actually know something about the community? I liked this episode and felt for the first time like the show was being written by people who have some experience with our particular types of melodrama.

• Love 3

I really enjoyed that! Reagan is fun, and I don't blame her for leaving that date, although I'm glad that she gave Amy another chance. I actually liked Liam tonight, too (well, I didn't hate him, anyway). Lauren's games were annoying, but it was worth it for the off-hand, "Oh, he's obviously gay and on a date with Shane."

Shane needs to learn to stop forcing people out of the closet.

• Love 2

Written by Carrie Rosen... she wrote Croquembouche episode in season 1, and also co-written the season 2 mid-season finale :)

Edited by JaM

I still don't think Karmen (That will never not be funny to me.) has feelings for Amy. The show is being a tease to the shippers. She might end up having feelings for Karma later on but right now I just saw a girl who thought she was losing her best friend. And yeah Liam, Karma has known you for less than a year so of course Amy will be first at the moment. But he does have a point in them hiding their relationship. I'm so glad we'll finally get to see Karma's home life and her cute brother Zen.

• Love 1

That was the kind of episode I've been wanting to see. Everything exploded in everyone's faces and there was some great character moments.

Shane was an ass as per usual inconsiderate of people's feelings. Him and his bad wolf...

Karma was typical in her self involvement.

I liked seeing more of Regan and Amy got some action from someone who was actually interested in her for a change.

• Love 3

Fun episode. Glad Lauren's gaydar was working. 

I'm not usually in favor of giving shit to wait staff (not a good idea before the meal in any case) but Communal was pretentious enough that the concept needed some ripping, and that is in fact, something two teenagers would do and find hilarious. 

Has Amy's peanut allergy been mentioned before? Because peanuts are a stealth ingredient in a lot of things, and she and Karma have eaten a lot of junk food together. Also, she bounced back really fast. I don't have any personal experience, but epi-pens keep you from dying, they're not magic wands.

Amy and Liam were complicit in truning dinner into the "Karma/Amy Storytelling Experience" because they were trying to avoid the Squirkel family party story, why Amy was there etc., but then they both felt free to dump all the blame on Karma. And it does suck that Karma is still pretending to be with Amy to her parents, but it was a shitty time for Liam to suddenly make that an issue.

After seeing him talking suspiciously on his cel, that's what I'm thinking too. Undercover cop....investigating.... something or someone at the school.    21 Jump Street style! 

That could be it. I would think he was hanging out with the wrong kids if that were the case, but I guess the official rumor at school is that Lauren is a pill head, and he has seen her outrageously high.

Edited by Latverian Diplomat
  • Love 1

Wow, great episode! 

I'm not sure what to make of Karma's reaction to Reagan. There's no question she was acting territorial (in a ironic way she was the one meeting Shane's definition of a territorial lesbian) but was it just a best friend feeling left out or something more? I'm glad the writers are focusing on that and I don't really mind which way they end up landing on it. Sometimes at that age for girls it's almost impossible to draw the line, and it doesn't necessarily mean Karma isn't straight, it's just an overly close friendship can give rise to feelings that are difficult to delineate. Karma was finally sympathetic and relatable in this episode, despite pissing off both of the people she loves. I do find it odd that she hasn't told her parents about Liam, I guess we'll get more on that next week.

As for Reagan herself, I love the character. She's well written and I already want her and Amy to "have a future" which is amazing given the limited screen-time they've had. The actress is great, there's something very compelling about her voice...and I loved her "did you kill them?" joke about Amy's missing friends.

I'll be honest, the Shane and Duke stuff feels very cliche, though the actors are doing good job with the limited material. And yeah Theo is totally a cop, which is another cliche storyline, but at least Lauren will sell the crap out of it when her heart is broken. 

Looking forward to the pageant stuff next week. 

• Love 4

Has Amy's peanut allergy been mentioned before? Because peanuts are a stealth ingredient in a lot of things, and she and Karma have eaten a lot of junk food together. Also, she bounced back really fast. I don't have any personal experience, but epi-pens keep you from dying, they're not magic wands.

yes, it was in very first episode 1, with Karma "broken up" with Amy sharing peanut-butter bread with Liam on stairs.. She said she "didnt had peanutbuter for decade becase she (Amy) has an allergy"

I'm not sure what to make of Karma's reaction to Reagan. There's no question she was acting territorial (in a ironic way she was the one meeting Shane's definition of a territorial lesbian) but was it just a best friend feeling left out or something more?

I get the feeling that Karma just doesn't like to share. IMO, so far nothing suggests that Karma is in any way interested in Amy the way Amy was in her. 

I was so glad when Amy finally told Karma to butt out. Not sure how I feel about Reagan, but I'm just happy to see Amy move on from sulking about Karma all the time. 

Shane is an ass, but a compellingly watchable ass. 

• Love 1

Yeah, Liam was actually quite reasonable this time, and the only "mature" person coming to that table (want to exclude Amy and Reagan) especially being much better friend to Amy than Karma, telling her to go and run after Reagan.. It is funny though how different Shane and Lauren are, besides both being manipulative.. while Shane's manipulations usually backfire at him most of the time, Lauren usually ends up as undisputed winner..lol. Kinda cannot wait for a situation, when those two would have a same goal, they would be like a force of nature working together...

btw, a bit unrelated, but Bailey mentioned at afterbuzz, they will start shooting those another 10 episodes in 3 weeks.. seems like they had scripts being worked on already...  hope MTV wont hold it off air for too long once this year episodes conclude...

Edited by JaM
  • Love 1

The show really should have flashed up a couple of those texts Regan got from her friends on screen when she mentioned that. Because, there is some real comedic potential there. 

"You know how I always say uhauling is a bad idea? Here's my cousin Robert's moving firms number instead" 

"o.o O.O !. ! " 

"Put a ring on it before she comes to her senses" 

Regan was just lovely. And not just to look at - The whole initial conversation where she asks to meet Amy's friends? That was just such a master class in asking for what you want without being pushy, dishonest or manipulative. Which makes for an interesting contrast with the rest of the relationships shown in this episode -  Even poor Theo has absolutely buggerall say in where his life is going. 

I'm... not really sold on the whole pageant thing next episode?

Because honestly, Buntain is lovely and all, but... that's not a fair fight, and I can't believe the show expects us to see it as one. And given how insecure Lauren sometimes is in her femininity taking it from her is not being a good sister.  

It'd work better if the plot was that Farah guilted her into it and Amy then just spent the entire contest trolling the judges in order to loose. More potential for comedy, too. 

Edited by Izeinwinter
  • Love 1

At this point it is pretty well established, that Amy is quite competitive for her's mother attention, and would do any possible stupid thing to get back at her... so it might work well, if it is made well. I guess it will be most likely a back story to Zencomming's and Karma coming true with her parents about Liam, just to have Liam spill the beans in the end...

I get the feeling that Karma just doesn't like to share. IMO, so far nothing suggests that Karma is in any way interested in Amy the way Amy was in her. 

I hope you're right, but I'm not as confident. Why did Karma get that disappointed look when Amy said she was over being in love with her in this episode? Why the lingering, kind of upset look when Amy was kissing that Brazilian girl? Not to mention her reaction to the threesome kiss last season. I fear the writers are hinting at Karma being a little confused. They're baiting the Karmy fans, which I hate, because I strongly think nothing will ultimately come of it and I suspect it will bust up Amy and Reagan.

Because honestly, Buntain is lovely and all, but... that's not a fair fight, and I can't believe the show expects us to see it as one.

I guess this is a prime example of beauty being subjective because I’ve never really understood the fuss over Rita Volk’s looks. She’s pretty enough, but I don’t think she wallops the other girls. When fandom was buzzing over Amy in formalwear for the Booker party, I was completely bemused because that moment hadn't even registered to me lol. IMO she doesn’t have that much of a leg up on Bailey.

For me the best-looking girl in the cast is Yvette Monreal, who I think is freakin’ gorgeous.... even if she loses some cool points for always doing duck face in her photos. But I still want her face haha. 

Edited by galax-arena

I hope you're right, but I'm not as confident. Why did Karma get that disappointed look when Amy said she was over being in love with her in this episode? Why the lingering, kind of upset look when Amy was kissing that Brazilian girl? Not to mention her reaction to the threesome kiss last season. I fear the writers are hinting at Karma being a little confused. They're baiting the Karmy fans, which I hate, because I strongly think nothing will ultimately come of it and I suspect it will bust up Amy and Reagan.

Yeah, I think Karma has feelings for Amy she doesn't even realize or want to admit at this point. She got what she wanted since episode 1, she chased down Liam, broody and rich bad boy, yada yada, yet at some point she will realize, it was just a chase and added popularity that interested her in him... as her Aunt said to her in her prediction, something is/will stand in the way between her and love of her life... it's just so obvious it was not Amy who was standing in the way... its not even Liam per say.. but the growing relationship between Reagan and Amy.. this changes everything, and after this episode it is already too late.

The beauty of it is that I don't even care what Karma's feelings are or aren't at this point. It's so much more enjoyable to see Amy with someone who she's actually compatible with, who wants her without the drama, and who seems so far to be on the up and up. I think Karma just likes to be the center of attention, and she would develop feelings for a two by four if it ignored her or liked someone else better. Who cares, though? She can weep her way through all the drama she wants, but increasingly other people are not participating in it.

I don't trust the show at all. So I don't know where they are going. But tonight, I really liked that no one was buying Karma's BS.

It's true that some of the problem was that Shane tried to force the "hang" and that Liam and Amy were trying to keep secrets. That nonsense has to stop also. But at least we did also get some scenes with Amy not being a dishrag.

• Love 7

Yeah... I would be actually quite happy if they were just teasing us with that "Woah..  i Know" between Karma and Amy, as at this point Reagan and Amy is so much better... and at this point, i think that secret is much less relevant than it ever was..

Edited by JaM

Yeah... I would be actually quite happy if they were just teasing us with that "Woah..  i Know" between Karma and Amy, as at this point Reagan and Amy is so much better... and at this point, i think that secret is much less relevant than it ever was..

I'm pretty sure they were. Why choose a scene cut with only individual shots if not? I expect Amy has sex with Reagan, and that maybe confirms her sexuality to herself. The scene with Karma is harder to predict, I guess it'll be another Liam sex scene, I guess she's going down on him? Which most shows aimed at this age bracket wouldn't allude to, but we've already had Duke do that with Shane, so...

But yeah that scene screams Karmy baiting. But never say never with this show. 

Karma literally standing in the background was good, but Amy telling her to butt out and get lost was even better. Regan is cool, and she and Amy make a great couple.

That made me lol, as did the fact that of course Reagan drives a pickup...I was waiting to catch a glimpse of softball gear in the back.

I feel like the episode was an alternate universe... Liam didn't annoy me, but Shane did!

I think they're totally trying to hint at Karma having the feels for Amy.

As for Reagan herself, I love the character. She's well written and I already want her and Amy to "have a future" which is amazing given the limited screen-time they've had. The actress is great, there's something very compelling about her voice...

I really wish I agreed with this because I think Reagan is a cool character and I love seeing Amy with someone who's really into her (and who she seems to be really into) and I certainly love that she's getting some action, but I did not like the actress playing Reagan at all.  I thought something seemed off (stilted or forced) in some of her line deliveries and in particular her voice bugs me.  

• Love 3

yes, it was in very first episode 1, with Karma "broken up" with Amy sharing peanut-butter bread with Liam on stairs.. She said she "didnt had peanutbuter for decade becase she (Amy) has an allergy"

Of course, Karma and Amy kissed in front of the whole school shortly after Karma ate the peanut butter, and I remember a lot of joking from the fandom that Amy should have gone into anaphylactic shock. I chuckled when this time she made sure to ask Reagan if she'd had any of the kale.

• Love 1

I really wish I agreed with this because I think Reagan is a cool character and I love seeing Amy with someone who's really into her (and who she seems to be really into) and I certainly love that she's getting some action, but I did not like the actress playing Reagan at all.  I thought something seemed off (stilted or forced) in some of her line deliveries and in particular her voice bugs me.  

I'm so glad I didn't have to be the first to say this. I think the actress is terrible. I'm hoping she's just green and will improve, but that put a major damper on what was otherwise a really lovely episode. Yikes.

I also don't really think Karma has feelings for Amy (which is fine by me, I don't want them together). I think Karma's just self-absorbed and liked that Amy was in love with her, and is bummed that she's no longer the center of Amy's world in every way. Also she's allegedly supposed to be insecure, so any of us who've ever felt insecure would probably be disappointed by someone "getting over" us, even if we didn't want to be with them. It's actually one of the more realistic moves on the show's part, if that's indeed what they're trying to portray.

• Love 3

With the ratings tumbling a bit this season I won't be all that surprised to see the writers veer back towards Karmy at some point. They're about to start shooting the next 10 episodes and Carter based on history will be pulling out all the stops to keep his baby alive.

Actually, ratings are down for every show at MTV, not just Faking it.. Awkward pulled 1.2-1.4mil during spring season, while now has 820k (so it lost about 2x more total viewers than Faking it)... Faking it is around 700k which is not that bad actually, especially when you look at demo - in F12-34 it pulls 0.8-1, while all other MTV programs are at 0.5-0.6 in this demo.. (awkward has 1).  I think when it returns in spring, max viewers numbers will be higher, but demo share will be similar.

Edited by JaM

They're about to start shooting the next 10 episodes and Carter based on history will be pulling out all the stops to keep his baby alive.

Actually, ratings are down for every show at MTV, not just Faking it. I think when it returns in spring, max viewers numbers will be higher, but demo share will be similar.

He better pull something out of his hat to ensure the shows survival

Agrees! Overall, across the television spectrum all shows are losing viewers nd though the numbers for 'Faking It' has dropped slightly, they are till holding pretty steady.  

Two week jump, I can see why it was done but would have preferred to have Amy/Reagan and Shane/Duke a little more fleshed out instead of having them just tell us in place of showing. That said, not a bad episode. Liam somehow being the sole voice of reason? I still find him and Karma boring but it goes a little way towards redeeming his character for me, especially combined with the nightmare that is his family history reveal a few weeks ago. Karma, as annoying as she can be and for as much as I don't care for her character, fared a bit better this week, also. You could say her being so tone deaf and territorial were irritating, but I just kept imagining how crushed she's gonna be when the secret comes out. And to have both Liam and Amy shitting on her this episode made me feel slightly bad for her; especially considering that I thought a lot of the nonsense at the table was brought upon by Liam and Amy's shenanigans and not wanting Reagan and Karma to interact so much. For all her self involved ways she did try to make the best decision for her and Amy's friendship and now she's trying her best to do right by Liam, too. Gonna end so poorly. 

I will say I laughed at "the bus driver forget Sam Alamo, so we learned the important lesson, 'Remember the Alamo!'" And Reagan telling Amy she can't handle Karma being in the background for their relationship, and as Amy reassures her that won't be the case, Reagan points out, "She is literally lingering behind you." And Karma behind them fades into focus. Really clever. Also a lot of the dinner table conversation was good. Shane's "Experiment with both!" and Duke pretending he was the son of a preacher man. Good group banter. 

Reagan is cute, but whoever above said her line reading is stilted and a little off is right. That little speech she gave after the Epi pen drama before storming out could have been so much better. She speaks like someone's feeding her lines in her ear or something. Hopefully that'll smooth out.

Oh, and that little scene where Karma's incredulous at Amy's use of past tense? "WAS?" And Amy's hilarious 'are you KIDDING ME?' face at it followed by Karma's fumbling save. I wonder what they're trying to telegraph, as it seems a bit more than regular friend jealousy. I can't tell if they're gonna go the route of her having latent feelings for Amy or if it's just that aspect of her personality that loves to be center of everyone's attention. Her getting up to chase after Amy and Reagan and when Liam stopped her she yells "You don't understand!" I had to laugh. Girl's got some feels. Curious to see how this all plays out.

Theo is a cop. Pairing him with Lauren was a good idea, as she is great and he is decidedly not as charismatic. 

• Love 1

Rewatched the episode and I have to say Karma did kind of get screwed over by Amy/Liam/Shane. I know that she can be selfish and self absorbed but she really seemed like she was making an effort to be a good friend to Amy. There was a couple of different times when she seemed to realize that she was going too far and tried to pull back and make an effort to befriend Reagan. However, Amy and Liam kept trying to hide Karma from finding out the truth by Amy continuing to bring up things that she and Karma share to a point where Reagan makes a territorial move by putting her arm around Amy. Then she also made the comment about the mushrooms not being really important if Amy hadn't mentioned them before. This of course kicked up Karma's insecurities that Shane had stoked earlier and everything went downhill from there for Karma. Of course Karma being Karma took things too far once she went into full territorial mode but her actions don't excuse the others actions.

I also don't really feel that Karma reaction to Amy saying she was in love with her is about her needing Amy to be in love with her due to her needing to be the center of attention. Yes Karma is self absorbed and selfish but saying that she needed to have Amy love her for her ego doesn't ring true. This whole season she has been trying to get Amy to move past her romantic feelings for her. I am not saying she doesn't want to be a big part in Amy's life but she wants it like it used to be before they started this whole crazy fake lesbian scheme. I think at the beginning of the episode you can see what she wants. She wants to have the relationship with Amy where they can tell each other everything about their significant others and go on double dates together. Basically have their relationship that they have had since kindergarten just with significant others or at least that is what she has convinced herself that she wants. Problem is that when Amy does what she wants and tries to move past her romantic feelings for Karma it does bother Karma when she has to face it in reality like when she saw Amy kissing the Brazilian or Amy tells her she is moving on. Of course when anything goes against her plan/ideal, she will ignore it and try to make everything go back to her ideal.

I don't know if Theo is a cop or not. I think he may be an police informant instead. At least this way he could still be a teenager and not someone who could be in their 20's who is kissing a teenager. His whole dad in jail story did seem weird.

Reagan is fine as a short term romantic interest. She and Amy are cute and fun together but I have to agree with some of the others that I am not really enamored with the character as some long term character. She, Duke and Theo are all the same to me. They work for the storyline at this time but I don't see them lasting longer or really want them to.

Hmm, it's always interesting to me how people don't or won't buy the possibility, even if it's little, that Karma might have feelings for Amy. I mean if one of the two girls were a guy wouldn't that be the direction most people would be expecting? Had this show never went there with the whole lets pretend to together and kiss and stuff I would've bought it as just a show about two best friends, but with the original concept I don't think this show is gonna end without exploring Karma's feelings for Amy. And if the show's as predictable as it's been to me so far, Amy and Reagan are moving fast in their relationship for a reason ( besides to make Karma jealous but meaning things are perfect now and there was no drama really before they got together) and until that happends totally gonna enjoy the makeout scenes.

But I'm with the camp that's ehh about Reagan. I mean yeah I get it she's hot, but I'm not feeling the acting. Honestly it could've been any chick and I would've been ok with it because I was tired of seeing Amy being sad over Karma and not moving on.

As for the episode, it was great. Totally laughed out about Karma lingering in the background, she's so.....I'm trying to be nice but she didn't need to be there let Amy go after her girl and you stay out of it. You have a boyfriend that you wanted to spend time with, even at Amy's expense. But at the same time I have no hate for her unlike most of the fandom, Amy and Liam kinda started this whole let's not let anyone know where Amy and Reagan met mess. I personally want that stupid secret between them to be over and out already.

I hate to admit it, but I liked Liam as well this episode *hangs head in shame*

Hmm, it's always interesting to me how people don't or won't buy the possibility, even if it's little, that Karma might have feelings for Amy.

I absolutely think it's a possibility.  I'm not convinced it's the case, but I wouldn't rule it out.  After all, people's feelings change all the time.  Just because Karma has only ever been interested in friendship with Amy in the past doesn't mean that her feelings aren't slowly morphing and that in the future she might want more.

until that happends totally gonna enjoy the makeout scenes...I mean yeah I get it she's hot, but I'm not feeling the acting.

Basically, Reagan should not be expected to talk since the actress isn't really up to it and should instead just make out with Amy in all of their scenes.  This is how I feel, anyway. ;)

• Love 2

Yeah right now I just don't think Karma has any romantic feelings for Amy. That doesn't mean that later on Karma wont. At most Karma and Amy are the Ross/Rachel, Lucas/Peyton, will they wont they. Liam doesn't even matter even though the show seems to want to make him important. I'm almost convinced that the only reason why they tried to redeem Liam is because they like Gregg. At the end it wont matter that Liam slept with Amy. It will matter that Amy slept with Liam because Amy is the lead and the show is about her journey and her relationship with Karma. I get the feeling this show happened because of the Amy character than anyone else. If only this show was more compelling. lol