Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E06: A Fractured House

• Start Topic

Skye's final interrogation scene with Ward reminded me of Black Widow questioning Loki.  I said "she's playing him" and I was right, but Skye wasn't nearly as detached as Natasha.  Still, pretty good scene.

Oh, please, no.  Just no.  Natalie Portman is a charisma vacuum:  she sucks the energy out of any scene she's in.

I'm glad that Skye is shown improving but not perfect. Of course she's not going to be as detached as Nat, she wasn't raised as a spy the way Natasha was.

As for Jane Foster, can I get a Heck Yeah!? I watched and loved both Thor's but my love was for Chris Hemsworth, Tom Hiddleston and Kat Dennings. Not Natalie Portman. She can play dramatic roles fairly well but has no place in action adventure or fantasy. She just oozes 'damsel in distress' and sticks out like a sore thumb amongst Black Widow, Maria Hill and even Pepper Potts.

Edited by anna0852

Wow.  I loved the look on Simmons' face when she said, "if I see you again, I'll kill you."  I would not want to piss that lady off.

Of the two, I believe Grant over the senator.  I think Grant is eff-ed up, but I believe what we saw in season one.  Also, Tim DeKay is a GREAT villain.  I wonder if we'll ever meet his other siblings.

I like Bobbi, but I hope she is a recurring character- the actress, I think, should be doing movies.  She and May and Hunter are terrific together.

I'm grouchy that we have to wait so long for another new episode.  

I may have have missed it, but is Tim DeKay supposed to be playing much younger than he is?

IRL, DeKay's over twenty years older than Brett Dalton, but I don't get the impression he was supposed to be in his thirties when Ward was a kid.

• Love 1

I really enjoyed the moral ambiguity of this episode. Putting Grant in the custody of his (allegedly) abusive brother in exchange for gov't approval for SHIELD is a seriously morally questionable thing to do, but for once, I felt like that was intentional. In Season 1 moral quandaries like this were introduced but never really addressed; the tone always made it seem like Coulson's team was justified no matter what they did, and any time a character like Skye objected they ended up kissing SHIELD's ass by the end (although the ass-kissing, in Skye's case, was mutual.) Here everything about the way the scene of Grant being led away was shot and acted made it seem like we as an audience are supposed to be uncomfortable with what was happening. These are the types of morally ambiguous situations this show should have been exploring since the beginning; SHIELD is already a dodgy organization, and given that the show is run by two of the best writers from "Dollhouse," you'd think we would have gotten more of this type of tone. But the writing throughout Season 1 was so "rah-rah spies are awesome!" that this level of writing was never achieved. Now it seems like the show is finally willing to start exploring more ambiguity and complexity, and it is doing the show a world of good. I thought this was one of the best episodes to date, and if this show wants to start living up to Marvel's and Joss Whedon's record instead of standing uncomfortably in its shadow, these are the types of episodes it needs to be producing more of. 

• Love 2

Ward wasn't turned over to his brother, he was turned over to the government and so far in the show the government is clean, aside for a few Hydra in high places, while it was SHIELD that locked people away without due process

Assuming Coulson wanted Ward to escape but didn't want Ward to know that Coulson wanted him to escape, wouldn't Ward have been suspicious when they took the hood off?

Nah, he knows SHIELD's running on a limited budget this season. Hoods ain't free, ya know! (I'm sorry, the idea of a penny-pinching Coulson making sure they get the hood back is cracking me up)

Edited by kennyab
  • Love 2

Coulson: Skye, Tripp, make sure we get that hood back. We only have three.

Maybe we should open a "Lines You'll Never Hear on AOS Thread."

Coulson: Remember to take the hood back. I have nothing else to wear to the Bondage Ball.

• Love 1

I like the idea that Ward's escape was what Coulson wanted all along.  My impression was that he had been transferred to government security at that point -- that it wasn't SHIELD soldiers he took down to escape.  The transfer happened when he said "don't give him an inch" -- he was telling the army guys who don't know Ward like SHIELD people would.  So Coulson wasn't sacrificing any of his own people.  And it won't nullify the arrangement with Senator Ward, because SHIELD lived up to their end of the bargain -- he escaped on the Senator's watch.  And Coulson can say "we did warn you."

Excellent episode.

One question -- who was that on the end getting the tattoos?  I feel like I was supposed to recognize him, but I didn't.

I'm loving Bobbi Morse and hope she sticks around. One very shallow complaint--she should have stayed brunette. Her hair bleached to that brassy I'm-not-meant-to-be-blonde shade. 

I didn't mind her hair either way. Although if they were going to change it, they should have went all the way and made it a super light platinum blonde. Oh well maybe she can go undercover and do that for one episode. 

Also as a fan of West Coast Avengers, I liked it when she was the one to mention that the guy who raided the UN had a few run ins with "Barton". As much as I don't really care for movie Hawkeye, I was curious if she has had any run ins with Barton.

Brian Van Holt, aka Bobby Cobb! It was his first time on the show though.

Nice to see him because I really like the actor. He can do drama and is amazing at funny stuff. That said doesn't anyone on TV know that anytime Brian Van Holt has a tattoo something really bad is going to happen  (see Sons of Anarchy Season 1).

Loved the scene where Bobbi asked May if she still kept in touch with ex. The are you shitting me look May gave her was priceless.

Was this the first time that they had mentioned May was married in the past (I didn't pay a lot of attention in the boring-ass season 1 episodes). If so did they ever mention who her spouse was?

Also I am not sure about Ward's brother being evil. I mean I guess I suppose he could be evil, but I guess he would have to be some other type of evil (ie not Hydra). I mean Garry Shandling was the evil Hydra senator, and after the events of Winter Soldier they FBI or whatever was able to arrest him. If Older Ward is also Hydra how did he not get discovered?

Kel - you know I don't remember them mentioning May having an ex-husband before. But I could have missed that fact. Her face was hilarious though! I am guessing it would not have been easy being married to a I am not going to take any crap, ball buster like her.

I don't recall if it was ever explicitly stated before, but there were hints in season 1 that May had been married in the past. There was even some speculation going around on who it might have been. Someone as yet unrevealed in the MCU, Coulson was brought up, though that never made sense to me, and I think Hartley and Hand were even suggested.

Edited by KirkB

Most believable thing about the episode? The Fitz/Simmons blow up. I can definitely see how having everyone tiptoe around the fact that Leo is damaged would really grate after a while (especially when you know you're not as good as you used to be). I loved Mack actually trying to be Fitz's friend and deal with Leo's damage - it probably helps that he didn't know him before.

I was entirely unsurprised that Ward escaped. How amateurish was that prisoner  transfer? The didn't put Ward in leg irons, they didn't cuff him so his hands were behind his back, they only hooded him once he'd had a good opportunity to scope out their base and he was entirely unrestrained inside the van. As JediKnight and others have suggested, I began to wonder if they hadn't deliberately let him escape, but I guess we'll see.

Shprdoinkle Yeah didn't like the unprofessional bickering divorcees, although May's look at the "Still talk to him?" question was perfect.

I wanted to slap them. Get out of the danger zone first - You can bicker on the plane out of there!

FurryFury I also noticed a Dalek design on one of Fitz's monitors

Me too! Even if it was actually meant to be something else.