Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E08: The Separation Of Crows

Wonder if the title means Gemma literally separates from her crows when Abel slaughters them? Or, even better, when Abel kills Gemma?! Oh, it's probably just going to be gut wrenching and frustrating again. How many episodes are left? There's some, ahem, loose ends dangling out there, Sutter. Tie 'em up so we can see the aftermath of the fallout, as well. Do NOT, rip us off!

• Love 2

Is it wrong that I am almost dreading watching this new episode in a few minutes? It makes me sad that I now go into this show expecting the worst.

Oh well. On the flip side, if it turns out to be a good episode I will be overjoyed!

• Love 2

I laughed so hard when Gemma was trying to talk to Little Psycho about what he did to the other boy. Gemma asks him if he knows what an accident is and he responds ominously “do you?”

Yes Jax. August is smarter than you. Unlike you, I know August didn’t killed the president of another division of the Sons in front of his vice-president and then let the vice president live. What a dummy.

Of course, the Sons go to the gun nuts compound where the mother believes they are responsible for killing her son, and none of them get hurt in the shoot-out. Then mom just spills the beans and believes the idiots don’t mean any harm.

• Love 10

So Abel's school can't reach either of his guardians and a teacher gets threatend  by Abel's grandma and they don't call CPS?

And Abel is too young to ask Gemma an ironic question. Nero no longer has any purpose but waiting around to die. Once again Jax does something really stupid, but at least Chibs is figuring out their leader is nuts. It seemed like half the show was commercials tonight, it was rough watching it live.

• Love 6

For a moment I thought Gemma was crying because she realized that the lie she told about who killed Tara started a war that had placed her grandsons in harm's way.  But no.  She's just crying over her damn birds.

Got a laugh off of Abel's line about the meaning of the word "accident."  Didn't someone on this board ask the same question last week?  Other than that -- meh.  Hated Jury's death.  Hated Bobby's suffering.  Hated Chibb's speech on the roof.  

Was mildly amused to see Jury's baby-mama.  I like that actress.  She was good in True Blood and fucking awesome in Winter's Bone. She is the go-to actress if you need a strong, red-neck/hillbilly woman of a certain age.

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 9

Nice shade, Abel...even though I think it was you that massacred Grandma's birds. ETA: I don't think Abel actually realized he was throwing shade - he is too young for that, I think.

Chibs - Jesus, Chibs! Quit enabling him! Jax has gone off the deep end. I mean he shot Jury and then turned around and LIED to his club, saying that Jury admitted to being the rat! Bobby has lost some fingers (or a hand) and now Tyler is getting scared (I don't blame him - Jax isn't looking too reliable these days).

Nero - I'm afraid for you. Really.

I have no idea what Jury telling Jax that his dad may have killed himself will mean.

If I were running that school, I would have taken Gemma's little talk with the teacher as a threat of violence. I'd have been "here is your tuition refund...don't let the door hit you on the ass!"

Edited by Disraeli Ears
  • Love 4

I felt like all of my tv watching worlds collided on the show tonight.

The meth head from Breaking Bad played Renee ,

jury's vp played Van Gogh on a really great Dr Who episode,

Carmelo Anthony from my NY Knicks was Moses' henchman, wow.

Thumbs up for Abel and the shade he threw Gemma's way.

I now am sure all roads lead to Robocop as the rat.

But who killed the birds and wrote the ominous crayon scribble?

• Love 1

So Abel's school can't reach either of his guardians and a teacher gets threatend  by Abel's grandma and they don't call CPS?

And Abel is too young to ask Gemma an ironic question. Nero no longer has any purpose but waiting around to die. Once again Jax does something really stupid, but at least Chibs is figuring out their leader is nuts. It seemed like half the show was commercials tonight, it was rough watching it live.

I guess when the teacher is Courtney Love, there's a different threshold for CPS reporting.

And yes, Nero's waiting to buy the farm. Big old anvil sittin' right there.

Between commercials and Jax staring into the distance, trying to look intelligent (and failing miserably), the show dragged. It's a shame that the final season, IMO, is such crap, that I don't even care that Bobby Elvis is getting chopped up slowly. And I always LIKED Bobby.

• Love 9

Nice shade, Abel...even though I think it was you that massacred Grandma's birds. ETA: I don't think Abel actually realized he was throwing shade - he is too young for that, I think.

Chibs - Jesus, Chibs! Quit enabling him! Jax has gone off the deep end. I mean he shot Jury and then turned around and LIED to his club, saying that Jury admitted to being the rat! Bobby has lost some fingers (or a hand) and now Tyler is getting scared (I don't blame him - Jax isn't looking too reliable these days).

Nero - I'm afraid for you. Really.

I have no idea what Jury telling Jax that his dad may have killed himself will mean.

If I were running that school, I would have taken Gemma's little talk with the teacher as a threat of violence. I'd have been "here is your tuition refund...don't let the door hit you on the ass!"

Agree on all counts!

I was actually a little excited at one point. I was really hoping that Jury was going to tell Jax about Gemma's involvement in JTs death. That would have actually served to move the plot along. Possible suicide? Plot killer.

Although, I don't know why I expect this show to be worried about something as trivial as plot at this point. Silly me.

• Love 8

While I think that Abel could have killed those birds, I don't think he wrote the message on the wall and stuck the knife in the wall. Even the worse sort of babysitters would have noticed Abel killing birds and stabbing the wall. 

• Love 2

jury's vp played Van Gogh on a really great Dr Who episode,

Great catch!  I knew he looked familiar.

Meanwhile, back on topic, Unser basically tells the Sheriff that Juice is a guided missile aimed at Lin and she says, well we're gonna put him in the same place as Lin anyway because I need to put Charming first.  Who ARE these cops?

BTW -- did anyone else think the dead-birds-in-the-bed scene was a heavy-handed homage to the dead-horse-head-in-the bed scene in The Godfather?

• Love 7

What I liked about this episode-the instrumental version of All Along the Watchtower....that's it.  I just think someone needs to sit Abel down and be like, "Stop being such a psycho, sweetie.  Tara wasn't even your real mom, Wendy is, and she is very much alive!"

• Love 5

So, Chibs is all attuned to how the other charters think and he never advised Jax?  And Jax just sits there accepting that this guy is speaking for him with the others?  Really?

The most untrusting female north of the Panama Canal just spills the beans about Jury's being O'Leary's bio dad to Jax?  She's never seen them before and they ride up out of nothing and nowhere asking about it and she spills?  Uh huh.

How did whomever do that mayhem to Gemma's place with imbecile there not hearing them?  Gotsta admit I like their style.  

OK, we've well established that Nero is Helen Keller when it comes to Jax and SAMCRO.  Yet, not even he would just tell Wendy that he found another buyer.  Not an OG like him.  No way.  It's in his DNA.

So, my 2 cents is that Unser knows Gemma did the deed and that Jury was not the snitch.  And Teller offed himself.

• Love 3

Please tell me what they cut off on Bobby. I was afraid to watch the gruesome scene and turned the channel off. 

And by the way, does anybody have a count on how many people Jax has killed? The man is a verifiable serial killer at this point. And he never gets arrested? 

Edited by DakotaLavender
  • Love 2

Did Courtney Love get plastic surgery, like between her last episode and this one. That's really all I got from the episode. I nearly thre my mouse at the computer when Jury didn't mention Gemma and instead mentioned Jax's dad and possible suicide. But then again this family is pretty clueless about everyone else, so like father, like son for not being able to see through Gemma, I guess.

And several hundred fanboy and girl hearts Squeed when Nero told Wendy he wanted her to come along as well. Gemme is still in the equation, but, baby steps!

Also, am I weird because there have been forks in heads, gratuitous blood and death and gore since the show started, but I got squeamish when Juice killed the bug?

ETA: They didn't show it, they didn't open the box. I assume it was a hand though, rather than fingers since a hand is a part and fingers are parts.

Edited by Insomnia
  • Love 2

Jury suggesting JT committed suicide is the most random thrown out there theory. It was just WTF to me, after all the "Clay and Gemma killed him" for 7 seasons, they're now going to throw out he went into the truck on purpose to save the club from leaving the IRA?  Which is the deal that he wanted and set up? That makes no sense.

If it was just the birds dead and not the writing on the wall, I would have thought Abel did the deed. But there's no way Abel could write that neatly on the wall, nor would he write a message like that because he has no idea what that means.

Bobby's comment about in years someone in a Reaper will kill you, seems like it set up the fact the club will continue for years and carry on with the next generation, since Bobby's kids was also brought up in this episode.

I laughed at that tech guy trying to explain Google Earth to the club.

So the rat is still out there right? Jury says it wasn't him, yet Jax didn't believe it and then lies and says Jury admitted it. Sounds like a Clay/Gemma move. If it wasn't Jury, who does that even leave at this point? The cop in Stockton? But he says it wasn't him.  

Wonder if Nero and Wendy end up taking the kids and leaving town, however usually when people try to get out like Nero that means you're a dead person walking. Wendy would be smarter to stay put.

Edited by Artsda
  • Love 1

Yeah, I guess it would be too much of a coincidence for Abel to have killed the birds at the same time someone wrote on the wall. And, if this show tries to be like "Abel did both!" I call BS. There is no way the writing was Abel, crayon or no. Maybe it WAS his babysitter? Maybe she is a double agent or something? I mean, that seems to be the only explanation for why no one heard anything. Right?

Oh, wait - this is SOA - nobody ever overhears anything (murders, gun battles) unless the plot needs them to.

• Love 1

So the rat is still out there right? Jury says it wasn't him, yet Jax didn't believe it and then lies and says Jury admitted it. Sounds like a Clay/Gemma move. If it wasn't Jury, who does that even leave at this point? The cop in Stockton? But he says it wasn't him.  

I think it is Robocop, yes. He killed his guy far too quickly when he started talking about someone calling him. If he were innocent, you'd think he'd grill him until he found out who called.

I don't actually think Abel killed the birds, either; Abel would have just left them out, not covered them up on the bed.

• Love 2

When Jax said "Marks is smarter than me," I thought, well shit, that's not exactly an astounding feat. Everyone is smarter than Jax, except for his chapter members. Abel is smarter than Jax at this point. I'm surprised Charlie Hunnam isn't approaching Kurt Sutter, script in hand, and saying, "How can I have learned so much in the previous six seasons and still be so stupid?"

Loved Abel's moment with Gemma. I know that character gets a lot of shit because the actors playing him do it so dead-eyed, but I love the way he plays it.

Gemma's interaction with Abel's teacher puzzled me a little bit. I know, it's classic Gemma to go off on someone like that, especially if she perceives the person as being critical of her family or uncooperative. What bugs me about it is that she's done it before and caused problems for Tara as a result, but somehow she doesn't think doing it again is going to cause problems for Abel. For a woman who has already had to work overtime to cover up for the mess she made with her reactionary behavior, you'd think she would have learned by now to think before she speaks and acts.

I am now mostly convinced that Jax doesn't give much of a damn about his kids anymore. This gang war he's thrown himself into is just too big. There's no room left in his head for more than cursory interest in how his little boys are actually doing from day to day. Even with the threats made to his children at his house, he comes across as more worried about Bobby. He lets Nero handle keeping an eye on Gemma and the kids without batting an eye.

• Love 7

Your question assumes Gemma thinks any more about consequences than her son does. Or, no matter what she says, about anything other than herself.

I was half expecting Able to ask who Jax was, at this point, honestly.

• Love 3

Gemma likely realizes she is playing a dead hand with the school, so she reverts to the one thing left a poker player has in such a situation when folding is not an option- all in, or put another way, she went on offense, which is her preferred method anyway.  Besides, she really didn't want him there to begin with. 

Moses took Bobby's left fingers at the knuckles.  Had he gone for the whole hand, he would have had to deal with a major artery.

It was so Barosky.  I bet he fed Moses other info, like when/where to grab Bobby.  The man is supremely intuitive and smart about going with the winners.  He never did, in my opinion, see Jax as solid partner material.  

One twist that I think just might be coming is that Juice will actually name Gemma as the murderer.  He brings down St. Gemma in the eyes of the club and he exposes Jax as the moron he is should he do this.  He is as the bug.  He knows it is just a matter of time before he gets squished, too.  

Oh, yeah...for the life of me, I can't figure out the Unser/Eglee deal.  Can anyone help clue me in?   

• Love 6

I've been thinking about the Jury thing and why he said about the potential suicide. Here's my thinking:

He figured that Jax was going to kill him either way. If he's going to die anyway, it's better for his VP to see Jax loose it and shoot him, rather than be killed in the middle of the night with no witnesses like his son. So he said something he knew would set Jax off. Though given how much Jax idolizes his mother, someone saying bad things about her would do it too. Either way, he knew he was going to die. He said as much to Jax about not getting Mayham involved.

Jax punched Jury. Jury falls, and reaches for his gun, Jax shoots him. He had to know that Jax was going to shoot him if he reached for his gun after a punch, so the comment was calculated to get exactly the reaction he wanted to. Van Gogh VP had no idea what they were talking about, in regards to the Chinese - Jury never told him. Jax looks like a power-hungry madman. And now other charters see it too.

• Love 4
So, my 2 cents is that Unser knows Gemma did the deed and that Jury was not the snitch.  And Teller offed himself.

I honestly can't remember if we as audience members are supposed to know who the rat is or not. 

I loved it when the 12 year old who is apparently running the Niners is all "I can't keep up the double agent thing" and Jax gets all indignant about it: "There's no halfway! You're with us or you're on your own!" Why the hell wouldn't the guy say "Yep, you're right, I'm outta here and hooking up with the ruthless and intelligent guy who DOESN'T get everybody around him murdered and who has hired a bunch of professional sociopaths to do his dirty work, loser. See ya!" 

Oh, yeah...for the life of me, I can't figure out the Unser/Eglee deal.  Can anyone help clue me in?

She was one of his deputies when he was sheriff, so he's trying to keep her quiet/unmurdered about what she saw the day she and the other guy were shot. New Sheriff is starting to wonder why he's so devoted to sitting by her bedside playing Scrabble, it looks like.

• Love 5

I am now mostly convinced that Jax doesn't give much of a damn about his kids anymore.

Thomas he still doesn't acknowledge, walked right past him in the kitchen and went straight to Abel. Touched him, kissed him. I think he cares for Abel, but like but all theses characters ideal about love is they see them as property. They're "his." Just like when he wouldn't let Tara take them.

• Love 5

I am now mostly convinced that Jax doesn't give much of a damn about his kids anymore.

Thomas he still doesn't acknowledge, walked right past him in the kitchen and went straight to Abel. Touched him, kissed him. I think he cares for Abel, but like but all theses characters ideal about love is they see them as property. They're "his." Just like when he wouldn't let Tara take them.

• Love 2

Fave moment: Bobby 'n Security Chief's "twinky dinky heart to heart". Bobby ROCKED every response. to whomever asked what part they cut off, the evil jerk that gives me chills said, "I know how important it is for bros to ride, I'd hate to see you lose that clutch hand."

Also, I know Abel wasn't throwing shade but it sure worked out and I loved Gemma's look.

Also, Jax wins the realist shit said award this epi with, "I'm in over my head". I love Chibs but maybe only if he doesn't talk sooooooo much. I giggled my ass off when he grabbed Redwood's VP. "Mah booooowweree ehn't gooooowin eneewhere. Oonerstan? Oooonnerrrrstan? I did catch Marks' logic as explained to Bobby-"you're the one with brains. That's why we grabbed you." Indeed.

• Love 3

What was the significance of Abel saying he didn't want to go in his room?

I thought he said he wanted to go to his room, but it was after the adults had seen the damage and they wouldn't let him.

Abel couldn't have perpetrated that mayhem because he was in school until Gemma picked him up. They made a point of saying he would only be released to a legal guardian. Besides, that was not a young child's work: the careful way the birds were placed under the covers, the height of the crayon warning, and the knife in the wall. 

• Love 8

I think Abel wanted to go to his room, but they shooed him away.

So... if they grabbed Bobby because he was the smart one, and not because he was alone and or in the station wagon as I had thought, then when had they planned to catch Bobby if he hadn't gone out to the cabin? They just came out of lockdown and it's the only reason Bobby was alone (but going to give support), I mean, I guess he had to say something, and "That's why we grabbed you, you were alone!" doesn't have the same sort of ring to it. But what would Mark's have done if they hadn't gotten Bobby just then?

• Love 2

One twist that I think just might be coming is that Juice will actually name Gemma as the murderer.  He brings down St. Gemma in the eyes of the club and he exposes Jax as the moron he is should he do this.  He is as the bug.  He knows it is just a matter of time before he gets squished, too. 

We also have Abel, though.   He could say to Nero, Wendy, or Unser (preferably all three at once so they can't justify it away) "Grandma said she killed Mommy, but it was an accident".   I suspect that Abel will say something around Unser, since Unser is already doubting the Juice-Gemma story.   

I was glad to see something mentioned that we'd discussed on these boards a couple of weeks back, that Nero and Wendy should take the kids someplace safer such as the hypothetical farm.   It's really an obvious option, particularly given that Gemma won't leave Jax and Charming (although she has a few reasons to do so).

Edited by terrymct
  • Love 2

Ugh - I have zero faith in Sutter telling a reasonable story.  He is retconning to make John Teller's death a suicide, imo.  Maybe Tara's death will be a suicide too, by episode 13.  I hope I'm wrong and Gemma gets what she deserves - a life alone in prison, surrounded by women who are far tougher than she is and zero contact with "her boys".  . 

• Love 5

I would LOVE for Wendy to take the kids away to live on a farm with Nero. But you just know the second she suggests it, Gemma and Jax would have a shit fit and twist it into a reason to ruin Wendy's life. Again.

• Love 2

What a snoozefest episode. Now they are rewriting the whole origins story of SOA by making JT's death a suicide?? Isn't there proof in the letters that Tara had that JT was murdered?

The show is a mess. The story line is incoherent. I feel like Bobby. End the torture and kill me.

• Love 5
Did all that just set up Jax to allow himself killed to save family & club?

It felt like either that, or we learn that Gemma caused (actively, vs. OKing) John's accident, and Gemma will do it again to Jax to get what she wants (hence the entire series was about Gemma winning). I couldn't tell if Jury was hinting at an alternate explanation aside from the known story and aside from suicide. And if it was suicide, then that has to appeal to Jax if the purpose was to save the club.

I don't get all the angst over Jax killing Jury. Jury picked up his gun and started to aim it at Jax. At that point, it was self-defense. I get that one chapter guy can't just kill another chapter guy, but when someone is mad at you, on the ground and aiming a gun at you, standing on principle seems like a bad play. Is the issue over the fact that Jax first knocked down Jury? Because these guys seem to get into fights all the time. Not sure why that mattered.

And I know it is Charming and a fictional TV show, but any parent who talked to a school princpal like Gemma did would have the cops at her door.

Edited by Ottis
  • Love 4

There is no way the writing was Abel, crayon or no. Maybe it WAS his babysitter? Maybe she is a double agent or something? I mean, that seems to be the only explanation for why no one heard anything. Right?

Abel was at school waiting to be picked up by "a guardian" and the babysitter was out of the house with Thomas when the crow massacre and stuffed-animal stabbing occurred. There was a moment when Jax & Co wondered where Thomas was (I thought, "Oh Shit! not another baby kidnapped") and then the sitter walked in with him.  Presumably her SOA bodyguard was with her and Thomas when everything went down.  They said something about "they must have been watching the house."

I don't know who Gemma is trying to convince with that "accident" nonsense.  She intentionally killed Tara, it wasn't a mistake.  Yes, she was given bad info from Unser.  Still, she chose to kill Tara without getting her facts straight.

That's actually pretty accurate writing in my experience.  Awful people do awful things for selfish reasons and then expend enormous amounts of energy concocting rationalizations for why it wasn't their fault and you shouldn't think ill of them for being awful.  That happens in life ALL the time in life in my experience. I'm sure Clay blamed Donna's death on Opie -- as in why the HELL wasn't Opie driving the truck when they thought he was?  Donna's death was an "accident" too and not Clay's fault at all.  Opie should have been sitting there.  Damn Opie.  Tara's death wasn't Gemma's fault at all.  Unser gave her bad intel.  Damn Unser.  And all the people that Jax has killed this season during his "war" with Lin are accident's too.  Gemma lied to him about who killed Tara.  Damn Gemma. 

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 5

This show really does not need to be  an hour  1/2  I fast forward through at least 30 minutes of it each week.

I thought poor Bobby was going to get his balls removed for a minute because the guy said he had balls for not talking.  But I think they just took a finger. 

Wendy and Nero should just take the boys and go live on the farm.

Edited by tom87
  • Love 2

What a snoozefest. Honestly the only thing I want to see at this point is Jax finding out about Gemma, but if it takes any longer I'm gonna gouge my OWN eyes out.

One bright spot: these little "flashback" moments they are throwing in during commercial breaks (scenes from prior seasons). OMG, if Jax's accent is a mess now it was even WORSE back then. I couldn't stop laughing.

• Love 6

Well color me confused...

It seemed like half the show was commercials tonight, it was rough watching it live.

It is so stupid to make these episodes an hour and a half, nothing really happens that requires that much time. Every crappy detail can be handle in 30 minutes. 

Abel's shade was point.  However, he did not kill the birds or write the message. That is too much for a child his age and executed too well. Plus we were shown he was at school when it happened.

Jury hinting that JT killed himself was the stupidest thing on this episode.

I honestly do not understand where they are going anymore, I have absolutely no clue who the rat is but I am not intriged or interested, I am actually some what annoyed. Everything indicated that Jury was mad at the Sons for his kid's death, that gave him motive to rat them out, if he didn't do it then who did? We haven't gotten any indication of anyone else.  Plus, then Jury found his son dead, figured out it was done by his own people, took him out of the house, buried him and ...did nothing else?

Poor Bobby Elvis.  But I actually like when the dude said Jax thought this was a negotiation, Jax always thinks he has an option or a comeback, it is time he realizes this is out of his hands.

I continue to be baffle that it seems like Unser will be the puzzle solver.

Juice.... I can't even.

• Love 2

I love how Jax lies to his club about who the rat was, meaning they won't bother to continue trying to figure it out. So it could be anyone, and anyone in the club that gets killed because of said rat in the future is on Jax's head. But as he's dumb as a brick and just wanted to cover for his temper tantrum, it's unsurprising.

Lord that was a long, long episode of very little content.

I do appreciate that Gemma's command to Wendy to stop being a lesbian has inevitably led to Wendy's love for Gemma's man.

• Love 9
Guest Accused Dingo

I enjoyed the parts with Bobby and decided I want him to survive the show. Besides that the episode was mostly filler. I liked the scene between Gemma and the junkie mother. Gemma gives weird/good advise when she wants to.

I think something is tickling the back of Unser's mind. I think he is close to the truth of Tara's death but too close to see it but if anyone does it will be him.

My favorite scene though:

Gemma; "Do you know what an accident is?"

Abel: "Do you?"

Edited by Accused Dingo
  • Love 4

Last night's episode was an improvement from the Greensleeves debacle for me.  

What I liked:

•  Matthew St. Patrick as Moses, is really doing a good job as the monologue-spewing baddie.
  • Tig's comment to the militia step-daddy played by Patrick Swazye's brother.  ( As fucked up as he is, Tig definitely has a heart-- I think he was the only one who paid any attention to Thomas when the club came back to Gemma's house)
  • Gemma getting owned by a 4 year old

What I didn't:

• the chopping off of  Bobby's clutch fingers
  • Gemma and her damned birds

I think, and from reading on another board, other folks agree that the speech that Venus' Mom Alice gave to Jax last season before he killed her was a self-fulfilling  prophecy.  Also the speech where Venus told Jax  about her family, " We judge and we hate, and when we have scorched every earth, we die-- miserably."

I pick this show apart, but I'm vested now.  Bring on the final stretch of Mayhem.