Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E13: Jill's Wedding

What do these sick freaks thing is going to happen in a church that they have to dispatch the chaperones? Seriously, they're in a church. And this is just me, but if someone asked if I have a chaperone after I tell them I'm going to call my cancer-stricken mother, I would punch them in the face,

Jill's bare feet: I think she saw pictures of outdoor rustic weddings in gardens and on beaches where everyone is barefoot and tried to recreate that, but she didn't have the proper venue, so she just ended up looking...special.

I was glad to see that they didn't serve refrozen ice cream, because with this group, you never know.

• Love 8

So much to say about this extravaganza!

Bin looking at Jessa and asking if they are engaged yet in the TH. They have messed so much with the timelines they both forgot if that episode was televised yet.

I detest Jimboob but HAVE to agree with another previous poster that he was not acting and his feelings were indeed sincere.

As I've said before..Special Josie...i just can't. First she was mesmerized by her shiny buttons thru all the TH with her sisters and then acting out during the ceremony. I would have kicked her special lil tushie right into the nearest closet!

JD and Smuggler...a pair of douches. Nuff said about them.

MIchelle's dress was hideous. Looked like tinfoil.

Jana looked so unbearably sad as did Joy.

All of them going on about babies coming like they are the second coming of the amazing Kreskin. . Lol. THs obviously done after the wedding.

When i saw the one bitchy wedding planner out to THERE, my son said " jesus, did that hillbilly get to HER too?"

Jill truly acts like a fourteen year old. So immature. I like her better than Jessa but less than Jana but i find her so naive and girly. Thank god she married a kind man.

Derrickdillard s mom made me tear up. Jill's comment about whether she would make it "at all"literally made me cringe.

Gramma D always classy. Nice to see they let her off ironing duty long enough to attend.

Bin grabbing Jessa made me mad..he is just so f'ing simple. She will crucify that halftard within six months. And he needs to BLOW HIS NOSE! STAT!

The way they went on and on like she was leaving the country..ridic. She doesn't work so likely is over at casa duggar all day ery' day while Derrickdillard is at work.

I think I'm done for now. Gonna watch it again cus my son was snarking so much I'm sure i missed parts of it!

• Love 9

I liked that they hung out together the day of the wedding.

Did they really need to make sure they had a chaperone freaking HOURS before the wedding? FFS.

And this is far from just a fundie thing but I always get annoyed when women are so eager to trade in their maiden name for their married name.

Edited by alt0233
  • Love 9

What do these sick freaks thing is going to happen in a church that they have to dispatch the chaperones? Seriously, they're in a church. And this is just me, but if someone asked if I have a chaperone after I tell them I'm going to call my cancer-stricken mother, I would punch them in the face.

It's for alibi purposes, in case baby Dill Pickle arrives early, they can claim that they were chaperoned every moment, so nothing could have happened before the wedding.

• Love 6

I don't understand why Jill couldn't wear ballerina flats. They are comfortable and inexpensive. A couple of guests gasped when they caught a glimpse of her dirty feet.

When was her last tetanus shot? Now imagine if she stepped on a rusty old nail on her wedding day for being stupid.

I liked that they hung out together the day of the wedding.

Did they really need to make sure they had a chaperone freaking HOURS before the wedding? FFS.

And this is far from just a fundie thing but I always get annoyed at how women are so eager to trade in their maiden name for their married name.

I don't get it either.

• Love 1

Worst kiss ever. I'm surprised he impregnated her ten days later. He had a lot to learn.

I'm sure he played with Legos when he was little.

Edited by Barb23
  • Love 9

What do these sick freaks thing is going to happen in a church that they have to dispatch the chaperones? Seriously, they're in a church. And this is just me, but if someone asked if I have a chaperone after I tell them I'm going to call my cancer-stricken mother, I would punch them in the face,

Jill's bare feet: I think she saw pictures of outdoor rustic weddings in gardens and on beaches where everyone is barefoot and tried to recreate that, but she didn't have the proper venue, so she just ended up looking...special.

I was glad to see that they didn't serve refrozen ice cream, because with this group, you never know.

Well people can do things inside church. But I don't think Derrick and Jill would do anything. They were worried about Cathy

Ewwwwwwww. Heath violation. Please remind me to never attend a fundie wedding

Bare hand serving is NOT TYPICAL. The ladies (it was always the older ladies) who ruled the roost for Anything That Involved Food at the Catholic and Protestant, and especially conservative fundie Churches I'm familiar with were sticklers for cleanliness. They loved having someone from the health department? make the church rounds and teach a food handling class every year. Churches would even cross-invite each other in case a member of one needed to attend a class at different date. I think they had to be trained to offer public soup kitchens, do Meals on Wheels to shut ins, and have dinners/bake sales, etc.

Leaving a fridge door open, then trying to refreeze melted ice cream is most likely a health code violation, if it were an actual restaurant, etc. Because it was a private event, they're probably not in trouble, but that's gross.

• Love 4

Also, did anyone notice Jim Bob literally leading Ben around by his tie?

That was hysterical -- the lack of respect he shows Ben. Ben did not seem amused. Why can't the men in this family do anything for themselves? Jill had to shave Derick's beard and Jessa was tying his tie asking if it should be extra long? Who does that? Then they cut to a shot of Ben's tie being messed up or too short or something and JB drags him by the tie to one of the girls to fix it. Then there's a shot of Jessa doing Jer or Jed's hair. WTH!? They've got to be what 15 or 17 by now? What teenage boy would let his sister do his hair for him?? And can't the grown men that are about to get married tie their own ties??

• Love 6

I haven't had a chance to see the episode yet, but I'm sitting here in the dark trying to put my daughter to bed, but burst out laughing to the comment about Erin Bates' "Ride of the Valkyries!!!"

Well played. Now my daughter will never sleep with her crazy mother cackling in the darkness!

;)

Edited by GEML
  • Love 12

I haven't had a chance to see the episode yet, but I'm sitting here in the dark trying to put my daughter to bed, but burst out laughing to the comment about Erin Bates' "Ride of the Valkyries!!!"

Well played. Now my daughter will never sleep with her crazy mother cackling in the darkness!

;)

Trust me, you'll laugh even harder once you see it.

• Love 4

Random thoughts-

I enjoyed watching the episode, after all the hype and knowing practically every detail ahead of time!

I liked how they "defied convention" and spent their wedding day mostly together, because they loved each other most of all and wanted to be together and not apart on this important day.  I can totally get behind that!  Although I did find it quite awkward that when they did the "first look" and were so overwhelmed by emotion, they didn't hug normally or kiss!  There just seemed to be something missing there!  Love how they were together pretty much until she walked up the aisle!

*Love* how she said, "I shaved him".  I did a double take!  I feel like shaving somebody is pretty intimate!  Esp. when she said Jessa does it for Ben (and they weren't engaged at the time I don't think) and they cut their men's hair to make them look good :-)  That's pretty close!  I'm surprised that's allowed!  I guess they find their ways!  :)

I felt bad for Derick being hectored and having to deal with annoying little boys while getting dressed and preparing for his wedding! 

Pretty amazing that an army of volunteers are at the ready to put on this huge wedding.  Just for the love of Jill and the Lord and the goodness of their hearts?  Hmmm.. Or for the desire to put on a TV production and maybe get some airtime?  It did feel weird to me that hundreds of volunteers were needed to put on this huge wedding.  Don't get me wrong, I did have a church wedding where a lot of the reception and the photographer gave their services as our wedding gift- but it was 100 people, tops, and totally casual, and over within a couple hours!  

Hated, hated Derick's peach tie color.  And seeing the blue ties just made me so mad and sad all over again for Jana.  So much unnecessary work!

I truly did feel that there was sincere concern and love expressed for Derick's mom being ill and not being at the rehearsal, and true hoy that she was able to be there for the wedding.  What a hugely emotional event, to be so gut wrenchingly worried about your mom, and approaching the happiest day of your life so far.  

Didn't love Jill's dress.  After all that searching and talk, it wasn't very flattering.  It was bulky and made her look bigger than she is.  

I saw sincere love and pride for Jill from JB and Michelle.  Such touching moments between her and JB as they prepared to walk down the aisle!

WOW- what a crashing rendition of the wedding song by the Bates daughter!  I don't think I've ever heard it played so enthusiastically!  

Love how they kissed, and ran down the aisle to be alone, WITHOUT A CHAPERONE!!!!

Hated the stupid corny scene with doofy Bin and Jessa in the aisle and Josh and Anna.  Ugh.

Oh my gosh, Ben, seriously.  the vacuous voice, the slowness, it's so pathetic.  I can't stand listening to him or seeing him any longer.  

MAY THE FULL FRONTAL HUGGING COMMENCE!!  (And as we know, it already has, with a vengeance, LOL!  :-)   

• Love 6

I haven't seen it yet, but many people get married on a church w/o shoes.

I had a tea length bib dress and a wreath of flowers and wore no shoes in my church, but wore satin ballerina type shoes for the reception.

Now the ice cream scooping is GROSS!

• Love 1

At two damn hours long, I have to watch this episode again to feel like I really absorbed all of the nonsense.  It was far. too. freaking. long and took everything I had to stay with it.

* I bet my 14-year-old daughter $1 that someone would refer to Derick as Derickdillard within the first thirty seconds of the show.  I'm enjoying my $1.

* The constant references to Derickdillard and Jill's first kiss were icky and felt more gross and intrusive as the episode wore on.  The even more icky references to their first sexual experiences and impending babies were just . . . yuck.  Can these poor young people have any privacy?  Has any Duggar ever heard of leaving things unsaid?

* The jaw-dropping amount of people who helped and attended.  I would love to get married (again) someday, but if it involves "crew sheets" and three digits' worth of volunteers, no thanks.

* The reenactment of the proposal, complete with that shaggy-haired asshat's horrible song.  I was so sure that I wouldn't have to hear that effing song again!  Please, baby Jesus, make it stop!

* JimBoob and J'Chelle's painfully phony *filmed* prayer for Cathy Dillard, complete with J'Chelle's syrupy "bless her heart."

* The lack of actual food (or some kind of protein) for the guests.  I understand that it's difficult to manage the serving of a plated meal to 1,000+ guests, but I shouted with laughter when they showed the popcorn machine cranking away.  That takes "shabby chic" to a whole new level. 

* Brotherdillard's dour speech at the pre-wedding dinner.  That guy is less than thrilled with this circus and has a hard time hiding it. 

* The frantic wedding march, as pounded out by Erin Bates.  Jesus, woman.  Dial it down a notch.

* The two-second shot of the Bates family.  Ya'll been sidelined, big-time.

* Jill's irritating, ridiculous request for 3,000 (3,000!!!) root beer floats and the manufactured (?) drama about someone leaving the freezer door open and melting everything.  *yawn*

* Jill's barefoot walk down the aisle and JimBoob's "barefoot and pregnant" joke.  Can't say I've ever joked with my dad about that. 

* Bin was in super-duper-ultra mouth-breathing mode throughout this episode.  It was kind of surprising.

* Jill and Derickdillard's first kiss.  GodDAMN, girl!

Cathy's presence at the wedding, in a wheelchair, no less.  Much respect to Miss Cathy.  She outclasses this bunch of rubes by a country mile.

Edited by SuzyLee
  • Love 7

Holy cow. Jim Bob pulled Michele aside to let her know that Derek's mom was too ill to come to the rehearsal, and the look on Michelle's face was absolutely ridiculous. It was almost like you could see her thinking "I really should have an emotion right now. I wonder which one I should pick?" After far too many seconds, she was able to come up with a rather lame "oh no, that's so sad, we should pray for her." But holy moly, it was like just conjuring up that much empathy overwhelmed her brain.

• Love 17

Obviously I'm in the minority, and I'm sure everyone will rip me to shreds for saying it, but all the making fun of Josie seems harsh.  I know the intent of this thread is to snark, but she's a micropreemie with developmental delays.  It's not her fault.  Two of my children are disabled....make fun of me and it rolls right off my back, but make fun of my kids and it cuts like a knife.  Maybe that makes me feel a little protective of Josie, or maybe not, I don't know.  But it just seems over the top, even for this board.

I want to make it clear that the reason I snark on Josie is because I think she is coddled and treated like a miracle princess by MEchelle- nothing to do with her developmental delays (if any). 

• Love 14

I really really really hate to be mean.  I really kind of like Derrickdillard- but honestly, I have watched every kiss he gave Jill- and my honest thought is that he is not really into it - he is just going through the required motions.  He went to a normal high school and college and you know he has kissed before. 

To me, unfortunately for Jill, he did not seem into it at all.  It seemed like he was going through the motions, doing what he thinks he is supposed to do.  I saw Jill excited to kiss him and him not so much.  Crazy thoughts go through my head and I hope I am wrong. I really want Jill to be happy.  

Anyone else feeling this?  

I admit I get a "weird" vibe from Derick now, that I didn't get at first. That he sought out Boob is of major concern for one thing. And the more time goes by, the less likely I think he will be to "take Jill away from all this" and into the real world. Or at least the fundie-lite world. He just hasn't given any sign - that I've picked up on at least - of being uncomfortable with Boob and his ideas. The fact that he's studying for his M Div is more evidence in that regard. And a little weird when his undergraduate degree was accounting. That's one odd bach/master combo. Is it possible that he's entered Duggarville because he wants to be a televangelist? I know he and Jill both talk about more missionary work but talk is cheap. They're already having a baby which would make missionarying difficult. Just one of the ideas that has popped into my head...

Or maybe he's just really self-conscious and stilted being filmed for TV?  At lot of us would be.  He may - or might not ever - get used to that.

• Love 2

I thought that Derick looked genuinely annoyed at the "engagement re-enactment video." I don't know whether it was just one too many cornball things, or that the rehearsal dinner was supposed to be hosted by his side of the family and not hijacked by the Duggars, or if he just happened not to smile for a few minutes and the camera picked it up.

Jessa also had a real bitch-face going on when they panned by her as well.

• Love 1

The proposal reenactment was the dumbest thing. And MEchelle was in the background, laughing like a loon, just as she did with the last rugrat reenactment at Josh and Anna's wedding.

• Love 3

I don't think anyone's being unfair to Josie. The kid's a brat. According to her parents she has no delays, so it's not like they've come out and said she has 'such and such' condition and people are snarking on her.

Regarding Derick, he may just be the type who's not comfortable with public displays of affection. I also think by that point the Duggars were on his last g-damned nerve and he just wanted to get the hell out of there and go have sex.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 10

I hope Jill washed her feet before she got in the honeymoon bed because they must have been filthy.

Every time she talks I wish I had one of those soaker water pistols and could douse her when she says "like." She'd be one little drowned rat.

When they got in the truck, was anybody else sing-songing in their head,"We know what you're gonna dooooo..."?

What was with the money on the dash?

"A buck in the truck" sign. Seriously.

Speaking of Bateseseses, I caught a glimpse of Carlin (the girl who is about Joy's age - happy birthday, btw!) in the sea of volunteers.

Boob doing the royal wave during the rehearsal was him in a nutshell. When ISN'T it about either him or MEchelle?

Miracle proves yet again what a spoiled brat she is.

• Love 4

That was hysterical -- the lack of respect he shows Ben. Ben did not seem amused. Why can't the men in this family do anything for themselves? Jill had to shave Derick's beard and Jessa was tying his tie asking if it should be extra long? Who does that? Then they cut to a shot of Ben's tie being messed up or too short or something and JB drags him by the tie to one of the girls to fix it. Then there's a shot of Jessa doing Jer or Jed's hair. WTH!? They've got to be what 15 or 17 by now? What teenage boy would let his sister do his hair for him?? And can't the grown men that are about to get married tie their own ties??

That shot of Boob leading Ben around by the tie SPEAKS VOLUMES.  What a complete and utter Boob he is.  As my niece would say, if the Jerks had a country, Boob would be King.

• Love 4

I don't think anyone's being unfair to Josie. The kid's a brat. According to her parents she has no delays, so it's not like they've come out and said she has 'such and such' condition and people are snarking on her.

Regarding Derick, he may just be the type who's not comfortable with public displays of affection. I also think by that point the Duggars were on his last g-damned nerve and he just wanted to get the hell out of there and go have sex.

I have to agree and I'm the first one to speak out in support of people bullying kids.  Josie's parents have done NOTHING to help her, despite her being eligible for a boatload of services.  It's maddening at best and criminal at worst.

• Love 5

Obviously I'm in the minority, and I'm sure everyone will rip me to shreds for saying it, but all the making fun of Josie seems harsh. I know the intent of this thread is to snark, but she's a micropreemie with developmental delays. It's not her fault. Two of my children are disabled....make fun of me and it rolls right off my back, but make fun of my kids and it cuts like a knife. Maybe that makes me feel a little protective of Josie, or maybe not, I don't know. But it just seems over the top, even for this board.

Thank you. I am ready to snark with the best of them, but will not snark on Josie because it's not her fault she was born into this family that will not get her the help she needs. Even if they did, that doesn't mean she would be capable of "behaving" like sitting still.

I have a DS with autism & I don't bring him to many public things because he CANNOT sit still & quietly, & because he doesn't have an obvious disability, I get the glares from other moms.

• Love 6

Its painful listening to Derrick talk. He takes really.....long pauses.....after every couple.....of, um words. It drives me crazy.

Holy shit. If I was sitting next to him it would be hard to not smack him in the back of the head and yell at him to spit it out!

• Love 9

Holy cow. Jim Bob pulled Michele aside to let her know that Derek's mom was too ill to come to the rehearsal, and the look on Michelle's face was absolutely ridiculous. It was almost like you could see her thinking "I really should have an emotion right now. I wonder which one I should pick?" After far too many seconds, she was able to come up with a rather lame "oh no, that's so sad, we should pray for her." But holy moly, it was like just conjuring up that much empathy overwhelmed her brain.

Because Michelle could not give 2 SHITS!  I bet Michelle hardly even said a word to Cathy the whole time.  I really would love to hear what Cathy, Derick's stepfather, and the brother say about these clowns in private.

• Love 4

Still watching on DVR but 2 thing gave me a reaction so far:

(1)  When Jim Boob asked Jill and Derrick if they had a chaperone while they went into the chapel to call Derrick's mom in the hospital. WTF?  I would have slapped him if I were Derrick.

(2)  When Jim Boob told Jill she was the most beautiful bride ever! I lol'd and wondered what Michelle's face looked like when he said that!!  

• Love 9

I was around for a live snark thread, but actually watching it is ten times worse. And as the THs are progressing, it occurred to me that Jilly Muffin had already been stuffed and likely impregnated during their segments.

I'll show myself out.

• Love 1

I only saw 2 min of this episode, but had to comment.

Jill really strikes me as an immature 14 yr old girl. I tuned in when she & Derick were passing notes back & forth before the wedding, as if they were in jr high.

I should have made my drinking word "like". Just coming out of Jill's mouth, it seemed to like be like every other, like word.

Mechelle's dress- oy! A few yrs back when those bandage dresses were all the rage, Mr Jumbo & I went to a formal fundraiser. He said those bandage dresses look like a cicada, & made a hissing cockroach/clicking sound every time he saw one. I kept hearing that sound in my head when I saw Mechelle's dress! And why did she wear the boy's color- grey- when she could have worn a darker or lighter teal, or even peach?

• Love 6

Holy cow. Jim Bob pulled Michele aside to let her know that Derek's mom was too ill to come to the rehearsal, and the look on Michelle's face was absolutely ridiculous. It was almost like you could see her thinking "I really should have an emotion right now. I wonder which one I should pick?" IAfter far too many seconds, she was able to come up with a rather lame "oh no, that's so sad, we should pray for her." But holy moly, it was like just conjuring up that much empathy overwhelmed her brain.

I think there's something very wrong with Michelle. That's one reason I quit watching this show. I think it's a travesty that a woman who has the inability to truly love someone has this many children. IMO Michelle has a cold, cold heart and is literally incapable of truly loving anyone, including her own flesh and blood. Any affection that she does show is only for the benefit of the cameras. I don't even think that she's truly in love with Boob. I don't know if she's this way because of a mental illness or if she was just born this way, but she gives me the major creeps. Michelle has a real dark side, I'm sure of it.

• Love 12

I only saw 2 min of this episode, but had to comment.

Jill really strikes me as an immature 14 yr old girl. I tuned in when she & Derick were passing notes back & forth before the wedding, as if they were in jr high.

I should have made my drinking word "like". Just coming out of Jill's mouth, it seemed to like be like every other, like word.

Mechelle's dress- oy! A few yrs back when those bandage dresses were all the rage, Mr Jumbo & I went to a formal fundraiser. He said those bandage dresses look like a cicada, & made a hissing cockroach/clicking sound every time he saw one. I kept hearing that sound in my head when I saw Mechelle's dress! And why did she wear the boy's color- grey- when she could have worn a darker or lighter teal, or even peach?

I think I read somewhere that she borrowed that dress from Kelly Bates. She couldn't be bothered to go shopping for a new dress, or maybe they couldn't afford one...ha!

As for Josie, MEchelle has claimed that Josie IS getting assistance. What that consists of is anyone's guess, but to me, she acts out like a stereotypical baby of the family. It has NOTHING to do with her being a micropreemie. I can only speak for me, and what I see is a spoiled brat who has been allowed to run pretty much wild.

eta: Josiah was an usher. I only saw the tiniest glimpse of him when VEnessa (yes, that's how she spells it) corralled the troops outside the swinging doors of the auditorium before the ceremony.

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 4

Ugh that was almost painful. Who hated Michelle enough to make her look like they wrapped her in gray toilet paper?

Well I hate her so I would have done it but it wasn't me.

Jill's hair was awful, so was her dress.

They could have tuned the damned piano even if Erin Bates was going to beat it to death with her bare hands.

I can't even like the few nice spots in this show anymore. Though the flower girls are cute, minus the Miracle Josie.

Yes To All!

LMAO - that piano "playing" gave me visions of swinging bar room doors into Big Nose Kate's Saloon...not a bride's entrance to a church.

Poor MeChelle - she might as well have worn her normal 30 year old jean skirt and maternity top, it probably would have looked better than battleship gray.

I thought Grandma Duggar looked great - very pretty.

Oh, and what is with the bridal party doing the running of bulls impersonation? That was so weird...but it did crack me up because it was just so bizarre!

Edited by Missmissie173
  • Love 5

My snarktastic daughter walked in as the "volunteer" meeting was going on and she was dumbfounded. She said. "Are there really that many people who want to help or do they just want ringside seats when the circus comes to town?"

I don't doubt that DerrickDillard is into Jill. I do think that he was probably experiencing that letdown that happens when you've just dealt with a big emotional moment and have to regroup for another....plus I'm sure he was anxious to whisk her away from the Compound-Church Annex and have a few moments of peace. True peace is something he was probably sorely lacking during the whole courtship process. I almost thought he was going to drag her all the way out to the truck when they fled the ceremony.

Erin Bates was attacking that piano like JD and Josh attack Jello salad at a fellowship picnic.

The both the bride's and the smother of the bride's gowns were hideous. There are so many shops that specialize in modest yet chic gowns, there's truly no excuse.

I don't get the need for bare feet but it's her wedding and if she wasn't a bridezilla in the face of the Mullet That Ate Arkansas, I can't really summon up much ire.

It is gross that JimBob and Michelle kept making it about themselves and their 30 year old memories back when they were defrauding left and right,

It freaks me out how much Joy and Jana look alike and it looks like most of the little girls resemble those two. Jill and Jessa resemble each other and I have no idea who Jinger looks like,

• Love 7

It's interesting that all of the THs are of JB -- J'chelle can't even fake an appropriate emotion for her daughter getting married.

Josie is a brat. I don't blame her, I blame her parents. Are they incapable of doing anything in moderation? It's either blanket training or no discipline at all. All kids are different. Some need more supervision and structure than others, and JB and J'chelle are just so done with parenting that they are not prepared to give Josie the attention she needs.

Cathy Dillard looked amazing. The woman checked out of the hospital the morning of the wedding. Her dress was beautiful -- understated and flattering. The jewelry was beautiful and tasteful. Her hair was impeccable. 

• Love 10