Type keyword(s) to search

S19.E09: Week 7: Halloween

• Start Topic

Not to be nitpicky and I do think Michael should go home soon, but he is 51 not in his 40s. But I think they should put Tommy out of his misery first. Dude is worn out. But then so is Michael. He is just a part time driver, but he also drives in the truck series sometimes. And he's a full time owner, announcer, and has charities too. Probably doing more outside stuff than anyone else.

So I'm a little late in getting to watch this week's show, but they really need to do something about this four judges situation.  If there is no time for all of them to talk after a number, then there shouldn't be four judges.  I do feel like they are trying to phase Len out or something, but if that's the case I'd rather see Len and somebody switch off.  On the weeks he's here he gets his spot at the judges table and somebody else fills in for him when he's in England.  But like a regular fill in and not one off guest judges that have no idea what they are doing.

The best part of the show for me was the bit with Sasha and whoever was in the clown mask scaring everyone.   Also when they scared Cheryl during the live show and her cursing to high heavens.  I know Cheryl most definitely needs a break, but I am going to miss her if she is truly done with the show at this point.  I'd say she should take a season off and see how she feels, but at the same time who knows how much longer the show will even be around.  Alfonso hitting the guy was priceless.

My second fave moment was Witney asking if Alfonso needed a snack.   Notice a trend in that my favorite moments had zero to do with dancing.  I'm still rooting for an Alfonso/Witney win here.

I do need the pros, this week Mark and Val, to shut it with the defensiveness.  Mark gets upset about scores and Val was whining about the "washing windows" comment Len made during his critique of Alfonso.  Val was acting like Len took a personal jab at Janel when IMO the jab was aimed at Val and his choreography.   I can't imagine Val didn't know Len wouldn't like it as the dance had pretty much no hold and it took awhile at the beginning to get going.  It's not Val's first time at the rodeo and Len has even given him that specific critique before about how he likes his VW routines.   I get being protective over your partner, but considering things that have been said to celeb contestants before that was nothing.  Also he needs to consider that part of the reason Len commented on Janel's dance during Alfonso's critique was that he wasn't given a chance to speak after Janel's dance.  Which goes back to my first point about the four judges just not working.

• Love 2

I think that for people like Michael and Tommy, they know that they are not going to win and probably want to stay in the competition long enough to get visibility and, for pride reasons, not be one of the first 2-3 sent home. Ironically, assuming that they are both ready to go, I think that Michael and Tommy are their own worst enemy because they do something charming that probably results in them continuing to get votes. I remember on a recent episode, could've been this past one, Michael doing a crappy dance, the judges were eviscerating him and I was like, "you're a goner," and then he made this funny, self-deprecating comment and then I was like, "that comment may have bought you another week!"

Antonio's elimination did not bother me, he tried but he was just so blah. I like Cheryl but her pairing with Antonio was did nothing for me, I think that they are both too serious/intense.

To me the most undeserved elimination was Randy Couture's.

• Love 1

I've been hoping since week one that Witfonso will perform a tap Freestyle. That genre has never been done on this show in all of the seasons the show has been aired. Witney is trained in tap and although Alfonso probably hasn't tapped in quite a few years, I'm hoping he is brushing up on tap. They will slay in the Freestyle if they can pull it off.

Witney and Alfonso performing a tap freestyle sounds interesting, not to mention different, for this show. It would likely be more entertaining than some of the fusion dances of past seasons. Even if none of the judges has experience with tap, it seems a moot point considering how "serious" the judging is overall anyway. ha

I wouldn't want Len and Bruno's schedule of flying back and forth between L.A. and England, but also the fact that the show is getting far afield from ballroom etc ("proper" or otherwise) could be a big reason I'd want to exit if I was Len.

Edited by KR Vermont
Mark gets upset about scores and Val was whining about the "washing windows" comment Len made during his critique of Alfonso.

I agree that Mark and Val end up coming off poorly, but I have to agree with them both. The scores and judging are so wildly all over the place, I can understand that Mark is getting upset; although, they are not the only ones that get wonky judging. I also agree that Len's comment was tasteless. He had his chance to speak after Janel and Val got their scores, and he crabby pants-ed all over what should have been a fun episode. It wasn't just insulting to Janel and Val but also to Alfonso. Alfonso's critique should be about him, not about Len's dislike of someone else's dance.

• Love 1

I agree that it's inappropriate to comment on one couple's performance when critiquing another couple.  It's disrespectful to both couples.  

I do feel like they are trying to phase Len out or something, but if that's the case I'd rather see Len and somebody switch off.  On the weeks he's here he gets his spot at the judges table and somebody else fills in for him when he's in England.  But like a regular fill in and not one off guest judges that have no idea what they are doing.

I wouldn't mind the Len-sub judges rotating on one condition - that those judges come from a pool of pros who aren't on that season.  I'd love to see them rotate in people like Louis, Anna, Jonathon, etc, on Len's off weeks. 

• Love 2

Sadie questioning whether Tommy could do a move in the team dance didn't bother me. I took it as her providing a sounding board for Mark's choreography. If Tommy didn't look good, the team didn't look good, so it would be to their detriment to throw in a move he wouldn't be able to execute.

Eh. His week two and three dances didn't live up to week one's promising start. In fact, I thought they were pretty bad. Antonio, on the other hand, was showing week-to-week improvement. And while he was never one of my favorites, nor was he all that good, I think his Viennese Waltz on Monday was his best Dance.

• Love 1

I agree that Mark and Val end up coming off poorly, but I have to agree with them both. The scores and judging are so wildly all over the place, I can understand that Mark is getting upset; although, they are not the only ones that get wonky judging. I also agree that Len's comment was tasteless. He had his chance to speak after Janel and Val got their scores, and he crabby pants-ed all over what should have been a fun episode. It wasn't just insulting to Janel and Val but also to Alfonso. Alfonso's critique should be about him, not about Len's dislike of someone else's dance.

Except it seems like Mark is complaining about scores almost every week and Val was acting as if Len personally insulted Janel.  It was a dig at Val's choreography.  In the past Val has made a point to say about how he only cares if his celeb is being attacked and how he can take it if the criticism is directed at him.  To me that seemed blatantly pointed at Val and didn't have a thing to do with Janel's performance.  In the long list of things Len has said to celebs/pros over the years, that seemed like nothing.  Personally I think part of it is has been a long time, probably since Kelly Monaco, that Val has had a partner that wasn't necessarily a judges favorite.  Val is used to the judges fawning all over his partners.

I also still think if they didn't want Len and the judges acting all crabby over lack of content and other such things then TPTB should have reimagined the Halloween episode and made this the week where nobody does ballroom as opposed to doing it switch up week.  It's like TPTB wanted the show to be one thing and the judges another.  It's the job of the producers to give the judges new guidelines if they wanted to see something else this week.  Plus the judging has been all over the place and rather mean spirited all season, and Len hasn't even been there for most of it.

Edited by spanana
Eh. His week two and three dances didn't live up to week one's promising start. In fact, I thought they were pretty bad. Antonio, on the other hand, was showing week-to-week improvement. And while he was never one of my favorites, nor was he all that good, I think his Viennese Waltz on Monday was his best Dance.

Sadly, other than for pride and ego, it does not matter how well you do with your last dance, because your elimination was based on how you did the previous week, right?

ETA:

Are  the judges scores from the current episode a factor in the elimination of that night?  Even if it is, I don't see if it mattering much except in a rare case where the difference in the popular vote for the dancers in the bottom two is thisclose.

Edited by quinn
  • Love 1

So I'm a little late in getting to watch this week's show, but they really need to do something about this four judges situation.  If there is no time for all of them to talk after a number, then there shouldn't be four judges.  I do feel like they are trying to phase Len out or something, but if that's the case I'd rather see Len and somebody switch off.  On the weeks he's here he gets his spot at the judges table and somebody else fills in for him when he's in England.  But like a regular fill in and not one off guest judges that have no idea what they are doing.

The best part of the show for me was the bit with Sasha and whoever was in the clown mask scaring everyone.   Also when they scared Cheryl during the live show and her cursing to high heavens.  I know Cheryl most definitely needs a break, but I am going to miss her if she is truly done with the show at this point.  I'd say she should take a season off and see how she feels, but at the same time who knows how much longer the show will even be around.  Alfonso hitting the guy was priceless.

My second fave moment was Witney asking if Alfonso needed a snack.   Notice a trend in that my favorite moments had zero to do with dancing.  I'm still rooting for an Alfonso/Witney win here.

I do need the pros, this week Mark and Val, to shut it with the defensiveness.  Mark gets upset about scores and Val was whining about the "washing windows" comment Len made during his critique of Alfonso.  Val was acting like Len took a personal jab at Janel when IMO the jab was aimed at Val and his choreography.   I can't imagine Val didn't know Len wouldn't like it as the dance had pretty much no hold and it took awhile at the beginning to get going.  It's not Val's first time at the rodeo and Len has even given him that specific critique before about how he likes his VW routines.   I get being protective over your partner, but considering things that have been said to celeb contestants before that was nothing.  Also he needs to consider that part of the reason Len commented on Janel's dance during Alfonso's critique was that he wasn't given a chance to speak after Janel's dance.  Which goes back to my first point about the four judges just not working.

The ironic thing is that Val mentioned "Len's back so we have to have plenty of content" during the pre-dance package. 

• Love 4

^ Sadly, other than for pride and ego, it does not matter how well you do with your last dance, because your elimination was based on how you did the previous week, right?

Correct. I should have worded my previous post better, because I didn't mean to imply otherwise. I was merely pointing out Antonio's progression, and giving some props where the judges didn't.

The ironic thing is that Val mentioned "Len's back so we have to have plenty of content" during the pre-dance package. 

That's funny.  I didn't watch the package, so I didn't realize that.  Oops.

I wish the show would be a little more careful with the rehearsal packages they air.  By all appearances, Sadie seems to be a sweet girl.  Yet they showed her during group rehearsal saying something like - "Yeah, but can Tommy Chong do it ....... no", with an eyeroll.  I wanted to say - Yes Sadie, Tommy Wong can't keep up with you..... he's sixty years older, little twit.

Yeah, my 12 year old daughter was watching it and said, "Wow, that was rude.  I thought she was a nice girl"  And she probably is nice, but that made her seem a little snotty.

• Love 2

Correct. I should have worded my previous post better, because I didn't mean to imply otherwise. I was merely pointing out Antonio's progression, and giving some props where the judges didn't.

OK. I actually saw it somewhat differently, I thought that Antonio was more than validated by the judges, especially Carrie Ann and Julianne. There was improvement but his dancing remained stiff and lacked personality and charm, same for his rehearsal footage. To me the subtext to what Carrie Ann and Julianne was saying is "we are giving you encouragement because we want you here as eye candy." Edited by quinn

I thought they were a little harsh in their critique of Antonio's Viennese Waltz for that reason - in previous weeks, Carrie Ann and Julianne were encouraging. As others have pointed out, this was Antonio's best dance, so them putting the hammer down now was odd and undeserved IMO. Of course, this is nothing new. There is no consistency with the judging.

• Love 1

Not to be nitpicky and I do think Michael should go home soon, but he is 51 not in his 40s.

51 is not old. Tommy at 20+ years older than Michael did better. My father just turned 70 last year and he could have danced better than Michael did this week. (Then again, my dad tries to keep active, he and my mom go dancing, go for walks in their neighborhood every day, and every once in a while will grab their bikes and go away for a weekend, bike-riding for miles and miles. I hope I'm as fit as my dad is when I hit 70!)

Regardless, Michael didn't even seem to try. He did one half-assed jive kick and then gave up and kind of walk-shuffled around. There were no jive elements to his moves. He may have some good one-liners and self-deprecating moments, but I think after this week he knows that he is way way out of his depth. The 5's were generous. 

• Love 1

The older I get and the more older people I know, I come to realize that your age doesn't matter as much as your health. However, if you are used to dancing and moving like that, this competition will be easier for you. Michael is at the age where it's harder to make your body do new things. He's spent his adult life cramming his tall body into a little space. Maybe his muscles are just too stiff.

Tommy, on the other hand, has the benefit of being old enough to get scoring credit. (If he were younger, his scores would be lower.)

Edited by Runningwild
  • Love 1

Of all the people who got pranked by the guy (Sasha?) hiding in the refrigerator, everyone had a good sense of humor about it . . . except for Val. He just acted really pissed off. And this further cements my long-held impression, that Val is utterly devoid of humor and personality.

Val may indeed be humorless, but I understand his anger.  I absolutely hate being frightened.  I'm a very jumpy person, and people seem to delight in scaring me when they figure that out.  I hate it and it makes me mad when they keep doing it.

I've been hoping since week one that Witfonso will perform a tap Freestyle. That genre has never been done on this show in all of the seasons the show has been aired. Witney is trained in tap and although Alfonso probably hasn't tapped in quite a few years, I'm hoping he is brushing up on tap. They will slay in the Freestyle if they can pull it off.

I love tap, but it can be difficult to make it look good.  I find it's often hard to effectively pair with music, and it's often danced with an idiotic grin on the face.  On SYTYCD, even dancers whose genre is tap look awkward depending on the choreographer.  Alfonso may look great, but if Witney isn't a tapper, she'll look like an amateur.  I think it would be a cute idea to choreograph Alfonso as the expert, teaching a novice Witney.  It could be a play off of the scene of Bill Bojangles Robinson teaching Shirley Temple to dance up the stairs.  It would have to be handled a little delicately considering the fact that in the original, the teacher is a man delighting in his role as slave (as blacks were portrayed on film at that time).  But I think if handled delicately, it could be really fun.

Edited by RedheadZombie

It's easy to be in sync when you don't have to do anything.  Michael just stood like the clump he is.  Bah.  At least Tommy danced. And the Team Creepy's move at the end was in better sync than anything with Michael in it.  But Golden Boy has to win or he'll throw a snit-fit.

ETA: Anyone who thinks it was Bethany who was the team "captain" and not Derek needs to have their heads examined.  Also, what would Derek have done if Sadie was on his team?  No way she would have worn one of those outfits.  Amazing coincidence that she wasn't, right?

Or not.  You really think Derek cares about his undefeated streak in the team dances?  I'm sure when they kept mentioning it, he was probably saying, "SHUT UP!"  Derek might have been in control of everything else, but that was all Bethany with picking the team.  If Derek had his way, he would've had Mark and Sadie on the team.  But Bethany picked Janel because they're closer.  Plus, she was all kinds of confused about what was going on.  She was put on the spot so she ended up picking a friend.  So, no conspiracy there.

Boy, Derek gets a couple of 10s and wins the team dance again and all of these false statements like Bethany constantly getting 10s and cries of fairness, favoritism, and conspiracy become extra loud.

• Love 2

Boy, Derek gets a couple of 10s and wins the team dance again and all of these false statements like Bethany constantly getting 10s and cries of fairness, favoritism, and conspiracy become extra loud.

The Derek favoritism has been overt since his inane and self-involved tribute to Gene Kelly. No, before that. It's been going on since the stupid bass dance. Wait, no, sorry, it's been going on for years, but this is a topic better reserved for the Derek thread. 

As it pertains to the Halloween episode, we have no way of knowing whether or not Derek would've picked Sadie and Mark, just like we have no way of knowing that Derek wasn't the vehicle behind Bethany's choice in couples. Also, when Len gets annoyed with the production of Derek's dance and then gives him a flashy 9 as opposed to giving Janel a whatever-he-gave-her when she, IMO, performed her dance with much more character and DID do VW moves despite Len's insistence on the contrary, there will be cries of conspiracy. Did I mention the Gene Kelly tribute?

• Love 4

For me, it was Betsy – I loved her!

Are the judges scores from the current episode a factor in the elimination of that night?

No, the judges’ scores are combined with the audience votes for next week. On some nights, they've declared couples safe or in jeopardy before everyone has danced.

============================================================================

You really think Derek cares about his undefeated streak in the team dances?

Yes, I do.

Derek might have been in control of everything else, but that was all Bethany with picking the team. If Derek had his way, he would've had Mark and Sadie on the team.

I will respectfully disagree. There is no way that Sadie would have worn the outfit that the others did – it showed way too much skin. So he may have preferred her over Janel for dancing ability, but fitting her in to one of his dances (and note that we all agree that it was his dance, not that of any of the other pros – so much for “team” dance) would have been problematic.

[C]ries of fairness, favoritism, and conspiracy become extra loud.

If it makes you feel better, I’ve been crying about fairness, favoritism, and conspiracy for years now. [Grin]

• Love 3
(and note that we all agree that it was his dance, not that of any of the other pros – so much for “team” dance)

The Pro of the celebrity who is the Team Captain typically always leads the choreography or the general concept, on the group dance. We don't see all the rehearsal though, so I'm sure the other Pros put in their input, not to mention they're responsible for their individual sections with their celebrity. But ever since they started having team dances and picking leaders based on cumulative scores, the Pro of that celebrity leads the choreography.

Val led choreography for Team Spooky Bon Bon when Elizabeth was team leader. Last season, the entire rehearsal package for Team Meryl was Maks and Val talking about how awesome their team was and seemingly leading the choreography while Derek and Mark never said a word in the package.

And honestly, I am less bothered by Derek, as Bethany's Pro, who was the team leader, leading the choreography than I was at Mark seemingly taking over what was Alfonso's team and Witney appearing to just passively stand by and let him take over. But that being said I acknowledge that the packages are edited and we don't see everything so I'm going to assume Witney did play a part in the final product. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 2

Of course Derek took the lead for the team dance since he was the pro to the highest scoring celebrity on that team, just like Witney was the lead for her team since her celebrity Alfonso was not just the highest scoring celebrity on the team but the highest scoring celebrity overall ... oh wait.

It makes sense to me, as in duh, that the pro to the highest scoring celebrity and the one who chose the team be the lead. Now my nose is not too out of joint about Mark taking the lead on Alfonso's team, but if side eye is being given, I would think that would be the set up getting the side eye.

Edited by quinn
  • Love 1

For me, it was Betsy – I loved her!

Seconded! I really liked Betsey and wanted to see her get the chance to do more. She and Tony were adorable together and I liked how elegant and pretty she felt with some of the dances. She was feeling good and enjoying herself, which made her fun to watch.

• Love 2

I enjoyed the team dances, but then I generally do. I call that Derek didn't want Sadie because she comes with the family and the input and the no-no's from the family on certain dance moves and certain costumes issues, as mentioned. Even if he wanted Mark, I can see him choosing anyone but Sadie for reasons already addressed. I sort of got a sense that Bethany was looking all perplexed and pretend-confused so as to say, "Oh, you're all so good; How can I choose?" just to spare some feelings.

Frankly, if Derek was whispering in Bethany's ear (metaphorically speaking) about which people to choose for their team dance, I'm surprised he didn't tell her not to choose Michael, the guy he'd have to put in the back.

• Love 1

Well if you believe Derek, Bethany's choices were all her own because they hadn't planned for the Team Dances or talked about it. According to him in some post-show media, because up until last week, Sadie had been ahead of Bethany in cumulative scores, he never talked to her about the strategy for the Team Dance because he didn't think she'd be one of the team leaders.

But her Tango scores and Sadie's Rumba scores, put Bethany one point ahead of Sadie in cumulative scores. And since, starting from a few seasons ago, the Pros are no longer allowed in the room when the celebrity makes their picks, Bethany really was just thrust into the "you're a team leader, now pick your team."  And because she has said she is close to Janel, she naturally picked her first. I think she probably would have picked Sadie if Alfonso hadn't picked her immediately. 

• Love 1

I cut Witney some slack in the sense that she's fairly new at this and I think it's easy to let the more experienced pros that have done this a million times take the lead.  Besides we got such a small snippet of what actually went down with the group dance, who is to say how active/passive Witney really was through all of it.

As for Len and his scoring, I'm not saying I agree with his scores for both Bethany and Janel, but I can see the difference in his mindset. With Bethany he didn't like the messing about, but he didn't criticize the dance for lack of content (or I don't think he did).  Whereas with Janel's, Len seemed to have an issue with the messing about on top of the fact that he didn't think the dance had any VW content.  Now you can argue whether or not Len was right and whether or not Janel's dance actually did have content, but I think that was the difference in the scoring.  For him, both dances had messing about but once also lacked content.  Again, not saying he's right necessarily.

Did I think Janel deserved a 7?  No.  I was fine with straight 8's though.  If Alfonso got straight 9's, I think her performance was 8 worthy.   I didn't love Val's choreography.  The end was cool, but the waltz part was just kind of there and she still has the same issues she's had since the beginning in terms of how she uses her arms and her body.  I wish she could somehow translate the power in her face to the rest of her body.  But even with all that said I'd rank it the 3rd best routine of the night.  I think Bethany was overscored, but in terms of enjoyment I'd rank them Alfonso, Bethany and then Janel.  I generally like Sadie, but I thought she had an off night.  

I also don't really buy that Derek wouldn't have wanted Sadie on his team.  It wouldn't be that hard to slightly modify the costume into something that would work for Sadie.  They did it with Zendaya a few seasons ago.  Mind you she was the only female celeb on her team, but the female pros had these deep cut V's all the way down to their navels and they just added an extra panel to Z's and it wasn't a huge deal.

Edited by spanana
  • Love 2
Note: this is a Halloween-themed show. Over-the-top cheesy is expected (at least by me!).  I disagreed with Julianne and whoever else complained about getting too caught up in the Halloween theme.  Why bother having a Halloween themed night then complain when the dances are in the theme.

Team Dances: I guess hiding your weakest dancer and synchronicity is more important than creativity, entertainment and maximizing ALL the couples' strengths.  Just let them all march in military precision and the judges are happy.

Halloween just ain't Halloween for Julianne Hough unless there's some blackface involved.

That's what gets me for these Team Dances.  Prizing synchronicity above everything else is a shame. It's not even like back in the earlier seasons where there were Pasos and Tangos, etc (and for a good stretch Derek's team would get the dance that required synchronization while the other team had a faster Latin dance, mmmm).

Watching some of these routines this week made me miss when there was enough order in the seasons for a pair to "redeem" a dance by repeating a style with completely new choreography. If the show insists on loading the finalists up with dances during the finale, I hope they go this route instead of the tired Insta/Fusion /Relay dances.

Witney is young and Mark was recently her teacher.  Also he's been on the show for a long time.  So I can see Mark and Witney discussing the theme and approaching the team together.  When they were talking in the group, she didn't seem surprised by the theme.

I thought Team Creepy was more entertaining.  Synchronization is important for team challenges.  But entertainment should also be considered.  CAI admitted that for fun factor, she preferred Team Creepy.  There were also parts where Team Itsy Bitsy was not synchronized.

Edited by realdancemom

Well if you believe Derek, Bethany's choices were all her own because they hadn't planned for the Team Dances or talked about it. According to him in some post-show media, because up until last week, Sadie had been ahead of Bethany in cumulative scores, he never talked to her about the strategy for the Team Dance because he didn't think she'd be one of the team leaders.

But her Tango scores and Sadie's Rumba scores, put Bethany one point ahead of Sadie in cumulative scores. And since, starting from a few seasons ago, the Pros are no longer allowed in the room when the celebrity makes their picks, Bethany really was just thrust into the "you're a team leader, now pick your team."  And because she has said she is close to Janel, she naturally picked her first. I think she probably would have picked Sadie if Alfonso hadn't picked her immediately. 

According to my numbers, Sadie has only been ahead of Bethany in cumulative points once, in week 1.

Top three in cumulative scores:

Wk1: Alfonso-36     Sadie-34        Lea/Bethany tie-32

Wk2: Alfonso-68     Lea- 67          Sadie/Bethany tie-65

Wk3: Bethany-105  Janel-103       Alfonso 100

Wk4: Alfonso-140   Janel-139       Bethany-138

Wk5: Alfonso-174   Janel-172       Lea-171

Wk6: Alfonso-213   Bethany-206  Sadie/Janel tie-205

IMO Bethany didn't seem to know what she was picking a team for. From what I understand, the pros are pretty much kept in the dark and the producers just spring surprises on them.

Yes, I do.

Well, I don't know what to tell you other than you're wrong.

IMO Bethany didn't seem to know what she was picking a team for. From what I understand, the pros are pretty much kept in the dark and the producers just spring surprises on them.

Exactly.  Bethany had no idea what was going on because they just sprung it on her.  She didn't know they were picking teams for a team dance.  I don't know why there are comments saying, "Oh, Sadie never would've worn that costume".  Like they knew about that costume ahead of time.  They didn't know anything about the songs or the costumes.  They were all kept in the dark.  The pros were in one room and the stars were in another.

• Love 1

Yes, I do.

Well, I don't know what to tell you other than you're wrong.

These pros have been competing most of their lives. It would be hard to believe that they don't care about winning now, especially when it's on national TV and likely plays some part in contract negotiations and future work. It doesn't mean they're holding their wins over everyone or that it makes them a better or worse person to want to win. These are highly competitive people, even if some hide it better than others.

Edited by kayma
  • Love 1

I don't think it's a matter of not caring about winning. I'm sure they do want to because yes, they are competitive. I think the poster was just saying that they doubt Derek is obsessing about the whole "never lost a Team Dance" like others seem to and that he'd care that much if his team had lost.  And I kind of have to agree. In the grand scheme of things, yeah not that big of a deal. It's like when he and Amy lost last season. Sure, I think he would have loved to win but I believed him when he said he was proud of what they accomplished and he was happy for Maks and Meryl. Competitors are yes competitive people but many of them also learn to lose graciously (some of course, not all) as it's something that also comes with being in any competitive sport.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 6

I don't think it's a matter of not caring about winning. I'm sure they do want to because yes, they are competitive. I think the poster was just saying that they doubt Derek is obsessing about the whole "never lost a Team Dance" like others seem to and that he'd care that much if his team had lost.  And I kind of have to agree. In the grand scheme of things, yeah not that big of a deal. It's like when he and Amy lost last season. Sure, I think he would have loved to win but I believed him when he said he was proud of what they accomplished and he was happy for Maks and Meryl. Competitors are yes competitive people but many of them also learn to lose graciously (some of course, not all) as it's something that also comes with being in any competitive sport.

I agree that I doubt Derek was obsessing but who doesn't enjoy being called a winner?  I'm sure he enjoyed the attention but wasn't overly concerned about it.  My guess is the whole "Derek has never lost a team dance" was kinda ramped up by producers to just tease and of course the producers always have to go abit overboard.

• Love 2

I was actually really uncomfortable with that. When she did it once, lightly, it was kind of cute but the longer it went on and the harder she seemed to be hitting, the more uncomfortable it got. Bethany's expression was pretty telling too. I give Derek props for being a good sport about that because that was a little out of line and is exactly why I can only take so much of Leah. Her whole "loud, abrasive, New York bad ass chick" schtick wears very thin very quickly, imo.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 4