Type keyword(s) to search

S19.E09: Week 7: Halloween

• Start Topic

Some sneak peaks of the team dances. Not sure if this should be in media or here. I also am not sure how to post actual videos so here are the links:

Team leaders Alfonso and Bethany choosing their teams

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oHnzdHu49g&feature=youtu.be&list=UUVJEKF0UQ5IWFkxbbxA8MOA

Alfonso's team rehearsing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN8YIjoF9K0&feature=youtu.be&list=UUVJEKF0UQ5IWFkxbbxA8MOA

Bethany's team rehearsing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uU1MCiklBe8&feature=youtu.be

A couple of things. One, I somehow completely missed that Bethany is behind Alfonso in cumulative scores. I could have sworn I saw a chart that showed Sadie as second. Go figure. No wonder Mark whines about his scores. Two, apparently there is some online buzzing about Bethany getting to choose first and choosing Janel instead of Sadie. Some people are jumping on the whole Badie thing being a total producer's idea (well duh!) and apparently Bethany has said in interviews that she's closest to Janel and Witney in terms of women on the show. That honestly does not surprise me. Bethany may only be a year older than Sadie but they seem worlds apart in maturity. Not that I'm saying that as judgement on either, just that they seem quite different. 

That said, I think Bethany chose wisely and they have the stronger team. Michael is clearly the biggest weak link and a hot mess but Michael can at least remember choreography, albeit not doing it well, unlike Tommy who multiple people from the show have confirmed has a lot of problems remembering his. That said, Bethany's team is clearly going for synchronicity and precision and I don't see how that works with someone as hapless as Michael. However, I am a little worried about all those ideas Mark was going on about. I almost feel like they may try too hard and do too much and that will be their downfall rather than just going for something clean and precise which seems to be what Bethany's team is going for.

Speaking of Mark, I actually forgot during the video that Alfonso was the team captain because it really seems like Mark was leading the entire thing which makes me question why Witney, as Alfonso's Pro, was so silent and passive. I'm also over the "Derek has never won a team dance" talk and I like how he's like "whatever, I'm shrugging that off."

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 3

Kind of ridiculous to think that if Bethany is friendly with Janel, she can't also be friendly with Sadie. I doubt choosing Janel was any sort of snub on Sadie. 

Speaking of tiring storylines, the other one that gets ridiculous is when I see people insisting Val and Derek have some sort of blood feud, when clearly they're fine. It's amazing to me how much drama gets read into a show where most everyone seems pretty alright with each other. 

I think it's a tossup whether Michael or Tommy was the bigger albatross. Tommy can move better, but his memory issues might be a bigger disadvantage. I think the Rocky Horror song might be a disadvantage too - it's arguably more fun, but so iconic, it might be harder to do something to it that doesn't end up on the wrong side of too campy. (Instead of the fun side of too campy.)

• Love 1

Eh, there was a blind gossip item earlier that indicated that Sadie wasn't sweet but actually a demanding diva. I have no idea if that has any kernel of truth, but people dismissed that out of hand because of how she's portrayed on the show.  Clearly Bethany is close to Janel, which has shocked those who think she's a bitch.  

I remember Kelly Osbourne, wasn't a fan, but people just lapped up the idea that she was some sweet lost girl living in daddy's shadow and voted accordingly. The show carefully turned up that lost girl angle so she was a lock for the finals. Turns out she was a very mean person, insulted one of the female pros on the show, and right after the show went right back to being the very unpleasant person she was before the show.  

I tend to think Allison Holker got the shitty edit treatment . Both Mark and Derek when they started the show were terrible at outdancing their partners, but the show gave them time to settle down and  "out of professional competition mode " and they became favorites. In the case of Allison, I just have to wonder if Johnathan was given Jazz in an earlier show that he would have lasted longer.  Allison is beloved outside this show and I loathe the way they portrayed her as someone so unlikable. 

The practice video of itsy bitsy is shown as getting to work right away, and Val and Artem and Emma listening and respecting Derek's choreography choices, as professionals do.. Seems to me this should bode well for them. Team Creep du Soleil?  Not sure, they are talking about Derek more than doing anything and that's the way to lose. If they were able to actually get to the choreo they are going to need all the time to focus and win it.  

Edited by Andiethewestie
  • Love 2

I'm glad Tom said screw it and let Len speak. Personally considering Len has been gone so long I think they should make him speak first for every dance. That said, I absolutely agreed with him about Janel's dance. Honestly, I was bored and I didn't see an amazing frame once throughout that dance. Yeah Michael is just beyond sad at this point. Tommy may have had stumbles and his frame was not great but that was an obvious Quickstep.he did. I too, like the judges, am waiting to see the Jive in Michael's dance.

• Love 2

How does Bethany get 10's every week? She's good, sometimes very good, and sometimes average, and it doesn't matter - 10's! I guess when you're Derek's partner, it doesn't really matter how you dance - you're always great. I'm so sick of it.

• Love 7

How does Bethany get 10's every week? She's good, sometimes very good, and sometimes average, and it doesn't matter - 10's! I guess when you're Derek's partner, it doesn't really matter how you dance - you're always great. I'm so sick of it.

She's only had 10's for 2 weeks out of the 7.

• Love 4

She doesn't get 10s every week.  She's been getting 9s and 8s the last few weeks.  I believe these are her first 10s since the Singin' in the Rain thing.

• Love 3

Unless I'm mistaken, the last time Bethany got 10's was for her Jazz for Movie week. She got all 9's last week, she got 9's and 8's for her hip hop and she actually was in the 8 zone for the first three weeks of the competition. And other than the Jazz for which I do think she was overscored, I don't think her scores have been unfair. Her Tango last week was a very solid tango, save for the slip which is why she only earned 9's.

And I do think that all the drama and theatrics aside which yes, could have been distracting, she did do a very strong Paso Doble. It was a Paso Doble in terms of content, her frame was strong and she held it throughout the dance and the thing I thought she lacked for a lot of the early weeks, performance ability, she had. Much as some are quick to declare "overscored - of course because it's Derek." I feel like sometimes his celebrity's ability and dancing aren't actually fairly watched and judged. It's just "high score, well of course it's Derek so clearly overscored."

eta: Um, that was a bit of a mess. Not sure why the crowd is screaming so much because wow, Sadie's technique was bad there. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 6

So Antonio's going home right...just take all the suspense away.

eta: Little gossip, Val already got on twitter to state that he was not amused by Len's "washing windows" comment which I think most figured was in relation to Val and Janel's dance. He apparently didn't think it was very classy of Len.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 2

Oh I know they've done the whole "everyone on this team is safe so one person from the other is going home." I'm just saying any suspense on who it will be is gone because I can't see Sadie, Alfonso or Tommy going home so we all know at this point it's Antonio. Not to mention he was in last place with the judges' scores last week. It's pretty much a done deal at this point. I do hate the telling people they are in danger right before they have to dance.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 4

Loved Team Creepy!!  I thought that it was just as good if not better than the other one.  But with the comments, I see that the judges won't agree.

ETA, what a shock, Golden Boy's team wins again....

Edited by smiley13
  • Love 4

I'd really like to see someone do a proper jive to "The Devil Went Down To Georgia". Actually, I'd like to see someone that can dance do the choreo Tristan put to it when he was with Nancy Grace. I thought that dance had the potential to be awesome ... but Nancy Grace didn't have the ability to dance it. It's unfortunate a better dancer hasn't gotten that song. It's so fast that it's pretty much a death sentence.

It's too bad that all the bad judges comments won't help to get Michael eliminated. :\

I thought Bethany was a lot of show, but not 10 worthy.

Tommy surprised me; he's quite dapper. I'll take him over Michael any day.

I didn't really see why Antonio warranted such low scores. I thought it was a solid job. Not Antonio worthy, but not an awful outing. I'm sorry to see him go, except that he's always been relatively boring.

• Love 3

Yeesh Michael is terrible. Glad that Len set him straight. Being a Nascar guy should not give Michael a free pass to come back every week, given his utter lack of ability and effort. Antonio's not so good, but at least he's trying. Tommy just looks old and confused.

Lea's dance with Artem was gorgeous!! Janel and Val's was quite entertaining; she was obviously having a lot of fun in the role. Shocked that Val was fully dressed.

Alfonso dances so beautifully - that "Ghost" was a fantastic number. 

This emphasis on Sadie as young, innocent girl from a Christian family is a real turn-off, but Mark is an awesome choreographer. Loved his costume, too. 

LOVE Lea in front for the Itsy Bitsy group dance. She's fabulous. 

Alfonso as a mime is so much fun to watch!!

Yeah Pita, we're also shocked that people haven't eliminated your partner.   But really, Michael should be the one to go.

• Love 4

I thought the Time Warp was a lot more fun. I'm annoyed that Bethany's dance was scored higher than Alfonso's after being praised for content. They harp on content than when the score the one that in my opinion had a ton of distractions higher.

Edited by shoregirl
  • Love 5

Loved that you could barely see Michael at the beginning of Team Derek's dance — because, really, that should've been the team's name with the amount of Derek name dropping we got. I also found myself agreeing with CAI for once, which is alarming on its own, but she had a point; Derek always choreographs similarly for team dances and I feel like I see the same damn thing from him every single season, whereas the competing team always seems to have more personality. A better example of this would be the What Does the Fox Say? team dance a few seasons ago, but alas. 

Mark was not happy with those scores. I agreed that he didn't choreograph a dance suited to encompass the Paso Doble's power, but it was a really fun concept. And I'm tired of Tommy. 

Edited because I accidentally a word, and also to agree with an opinion upthread — Witney and Alfonso are praised for a pure rumba packed with content, but Bethany and Derek end up with higher scores despite their dance being flagged by Len? Is it even worth calling it a conspiracy theory anymore? Because the evidence is blatant. Also loved Len asking Julianne why she disagreed with the truth. 

Edited by Stitsch
  • Love 7

Well this was a surprise to no one. I will say though, as much as I like Tommy, with his package tonight, I think the best thing his fans can do for him is to send him home. The man is 76 and this show is hard - just look at all the weight people lose doing it. He's had a great run but it may be time to let go but I think he might outlast some more celebrities and with Michael's fanbase too, I think people like Janel and Lea may be in trouble of being booted before either of those two. 

I could hear the collective groan all the way in my living room about Derek's team winning the team dance again (and I love the show bringing it up over and over and over again) but honestly, they were better. This team dance reminded me a lot of the Foxing Awesome vs. Spooky Bon Bon team dances in Amber's season where the latter had a whole bunch of stuff going on and each team kind of seemed like they were doing their own thing and there wasn't a lot of synchronization.

It was fun but it didn't look like a cohesive team whereas Foxing Awesome were perfectly in sync throughout the dance save for Karina, funny enough, going wrong once. And that's kind of what Derek's team did tonight again. And I really think that's a big part of any team effort. Once it's a team dance, I feel like the Pros should think about synchronicity and precision. It always works. By the way, speaking of Amber Riley, was that the Glee version of Time Warp they used because the notes at the end sounded a lot like her?

They harp on content than when the score the one that in my opinion had a ton of distractions higher.

I thought the judges' scores were consistent with their comments. They said they liked Alfonso's team and liked all their individual personalities coming through but all said that they were not in sync and timing was off. For Bethany's team they all praised the synchronicity and timing and praised all the women on the team. 

A better example of this would be the What Does the Fox Say? team vs. Derek's team a few seasons ago, but alas.

Ha, shows how subjective this all is because I used that same example to make an opposite point. YMMV but for me, if the pairings are supposed to be dancing as a team, I do think cohesiveness should be one of the main things the judges score on. So yeah, Derek's team dances may look similar in that he always goes for that precision but that's what probably has worked every season for him because getting four different couples to look seamless and in sync throughout a dance is not easy. And I thought the theme and styling of the performance worked perfectly with the song. 

Lea went really early again and I wonder if that's going to end up hurting her. I liked her dance but I agreed with Len in that it lacked passion and I think that was because she seemed a bit tentative and careful throughout the dance.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1

Again, as a Nascar fan, I'm soooooo soooooo sorry that yall are having to suffer thru Mikey.  I'm not voting for him, seriously!  I knew he was going to be stupid giddy over the team 9's. 

As a HUGE Rocky Horror fan, I can't get past the fact that they didn't do the Time Warp not even once.  Tommy & Peta came close, but no dice for me.  I felt like Len, I want to see a "proper" Time Warp. 

• Love 12

I knew once it was down to Antonio and Tommy that Antonio would go. Tommy is much more memorable and his personality is enjoyable. I really wasn't a fan of either of the team dances but I liked Team Alfonso better. Derek always does the whole military type formation with his dance and they are always too stiff. Antonio didn't really dance during the group dance but what they offered was less militaristic and more fun. I love how the judges were telling Lea that she was too hard on herself and that she's been doing well for weeks when they have done nothing but pick her apart for the smallest things. I just hope that she feels better about herself after this week. Alfonso did a great job with the rumba and I'm super happy for him and his wife. I'm so glad that they gave Whitney props because she really did a fabulous job with the choreo. 

• Love 3

Tommy isn't great and it's probably his time to go, but I really think he does well while in hold.  It looks like he can lead pretty well.  Out of hold, he's unfortunately awful.  

I wish they would have all been characters from Rocky Horror.  Riff Raff, Frank N Furter, Brad, et al. 

• Love 3

As a HUGE Rocky Horror fan, I can't get past the fact that they didn't do the Time Warp not even once.  Tommy & Peta came close, but no dice for me.  I felt like Len, I want to see a "proper" Time Warp. 

Right? I'm guessing that the choreography can't be done by the show because otherwise, why would you not do The Time Warp? Tommy would know the Time Warp. That would be easy for him. It did bug me they used the Glee cover. I like the Glee cover but its not the Time Warp.

Alfonso's dance was amazing. Witney did a great job with what was actually a very tricky song. Ghost is amazing, but fast for a rumba. She managed to keep the dance a real rumba even though the pace was very quick.

I'm sad for Cheryl. I wish she'd have lasted a few more weeks and gone out on a better number.

The very best part of the whole episode was Derek getting scared when Sasha hopped out of the fridge.

• Love 2

I also found myself agreeing with CAI for once, which is alarming on its own, but she had a point; Derek always choreographs similarly for team dances and I feel like I see the same damn thing from him every single season, whereas the competing team always seems to have more personality.

And yet she gave Team Derek the higher score. Speaking of the conspiracy theory:

Edited because I accidentally a word, and also to agree with an opinion upthread — Witney and Alfonso are praised for a pure rumba packed with content, but Bethany and Derek end up with higher scores despite their dance being flagged by Len? Is it even worth calling it a conspiracy theory anymore? Because the evidence is blatant. Also loved Len asking Julianne why she disagreed with the truth.

Word!

• Love 4
Witney and Alfonso are praised for a pure rumba packed with content, but Bethany and Derek end up with higher scores despite their dance being flagged by Len? Is it even worth calling it a conspiracy theory anymore? Because the evidence is blatant.

While all the judges praised the content in Alfonso's rumba, they also pointed out things that he needed to work on. I know for a fact Bruno mentioned something about his feet, Len also said something about his losing the frame once or twice (need to rewatch) which means that while they liked it, thought the content was there, they obviously didn't think it was perfect. The only judge who criticized anything about Bethany's performance was Len which is why she got the 9 from him. Neither Bruno, Carrie Ann or Julianne pin pointed anything she did wrong so their scores were consistent.

• Love 1

Witney's response to a doubled-over Alfonso after a knee to the groin, What do you need? Do you need a snack?, had me in stitches.

I liked the entertainment of Team Creepy better, with the characters and costuming, and think they should have scored all 9's like Team Itsy Bitsy.

I'm pretty sure I saw Michael miss spinning Emma on the floor and instead they both careened off the side of the stage into the crowd...? I audibly gasped, but I'm unmotivated to find a clip to rewatch it to confirm what I think I saw. :/ Michael's fans could sweep him into the finals...scary! (in keeping with the Halloween theme and all).

Lea's doing a good job and I think she's having a great time but the show perhaps plays up the angst of rehearsals?

• Love 3

The only judge who criticized anything about Bethany's performance was Len which is why she got the 9 from him. Neither Bruno, Carrie Ann or Julianne pin pointed anything she did wrong so their scores were consistent.

Of course, because she was perfect. (/sarcasm). That's not exactly a great litmus test for the judge's scores. Often they say only positive things, and then give an 8 or 9.

I'm pretty sure I saw Michael miss spinning Emma on the floor and instead they both careened off the side of the stage into the crowd...?

That's exactly what happened. And that's exactly my point. Mistake on Derek's team? Let's pretend we didn't see it, and give them the higher score.

Edited by LotusFlower
  • Love 2