Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: Spirit Of The Goat

Trini
  • Start Topic

Kristine Kringle sounds way too much like a comic book character for her to be a one-off.

Speaking of icky . . . hello, Ma Cobblepot! I don't know what's worse . . . the interaction in the tub, or the fact that the room seemed designed for mother/son tub time. And was anybody else expecting rubber ducks?

I half expected a "search for the soap" if you know what I mean.

So one strike and she's out? One mistake and Jim needs to cut her out?

The thing is he specifically asked her not to call.  If he had been OK with it, or even ambivalent, it would have been totally different.  In their negotiations, I was hoping he'd say "You cannot tell anone what we talk about.  If I can't trust you, I can't tell you."

For all the panic over 'The Firstborn of Gotham's Elite Being Killed!!!!', it tended to be pretty, young females that were killed. I may have missed the male deaths, but I only remember the dead girl of ten years back, the dead girl of the present, and "Miss Ember".  The women may have been first-borns of their families, but the supposed panic over 'first-borns' instead of 'elite first-born daughters' was betrayed by the writing.

The first killer was listed as killing 3 people, the middle one was male; of course it looks so much prettier to have attractive females hung up.  I think it was an almost wanting to be caught thing for the therapist since she used the same damn building as before.

The first two victims were men.  The only ones we saw were women because that makes more "real".

[They're treating them all like caricatures rather than as fairly normal people that gradually turned to crime...

It's not like The Joker, Catwoman, The Riddler, etc aren't caricatures.  How do you get from a fairly normal guy to one who poison an entire city, just for the giggles?

I wish we could actually see her DOING something for once instead of just telling people what to do.  Although I dunno, is the role of the Captain to just sit around and decree orders without really getting involved? 

So so many shows. This one.  Forever.  Castle (after they replaced the male Captain).

Police Captains don't generally do much.  Cpt Montgomery didn't do much more than Cpt Gates does, or than Lt Van Buren (Law & Order) does, or Cpt. Holt (Brooklyn 99) or, going old school, Lt Giardello (Homicide).
From Wikipedia: [[ In addition, a Police Captain is considered upper-level management in most large urban police departments.]]
That's how all these captains (and Lieutenants) have been acting.

• Love 2

The thing is he specifically asked her not to call. If he had been OK with it, or even ambivalent, it would have been totally different. In their negotiations, I was hoping he'd say "You cannot tell anone what we talk about. If I can't trust you, I can't tell you.".

Yeah. That moment was played sympathetically for Barbara but at the same time she specifically did what Jim asked her not to. He trusted her to tell her this thing and she passed it on to the press over his objections. He has to trust that if says don't tell anyone she won't. I can see why that incident would give him pause.

At the same time, it's not something he's actually mad at her about or played as a big betrayal. I think the way they've treated it is just right because I am sympathetic to him and Barbara in this. My main issue with Barbara is that she is running around behind Jim's back talking to her ex about him. Maybe she should be more honest with him.

I thought Kristen Kringle was a weird name too- there was a Big Bang theory were they talked about that one guys habit of naming everybody like that - peter Parker, silver surfer, etc... But it basically also sounds like her name is Santa klaus so that's strange.

Edited by Shanna

Kristine Kringle sounds way too much like a comic book character for her to be a one-off.

It's just such an oddly specific name and reference, and I don't see how it/she is connected to a current Batman character and why. And if she is a new recurring character related to the Riddler (maybe?), why the Christmas name?

Okay I'm done thinking about this.

It's not like The Joker, Catwoman, The Riddler, etc aren't caricatures.  How do you get from a fairly normal guy to one who poison an entire city, just for the giggles?

They're caricatures once they become VILLAINS, after which most of them are insane, otherwise they were fairly normal people that went nuts for one reason or another. While they're still normal people the future villains of Gotham are supposed to act like it.

Police Captains don't generally do much. Cpt Montgomery didn't do much more than Cpt Gates does, or than Lt Van Buren (Law & Order) does, or Cpt. Holt (Brooklyn 99) or, going old school, Lt Giardello (Homicide).

From Wikipedia: [[ In addition, a Police Captain is considered upper-level management in most large urban police departments.]]

That's how all these captains (and Lieutenants) have been acting.

Elementary's Captain Thomas Gregson goes out and assists with investigations, interrogations and conducts arrests- so there's precedent for TV captains who will actually do something.

Now, Sarah Essen doesn't have to do the fieldwork, but I'd like it if she had more of a role on the show than just as the “one who barks orders” (as is far too often the case on TV). Essen is higher up than Gordon and Bullock and thus would have easier access to the corruption- we could see her dealing with councilors, families, her superiors, etc. as she wrestles with the cases she chooses to take. You can almost bet that Maroni and Falcone have her ear and they influence her decisions to assign cases, meaning she likely has to battle them, her morals and her better judgment just to ensure that the peace is maintained in Gotham. Just that aspect alone should be enough material to draw upon for the character, and it's maddening that in a show that's supposed to be all about Gotham that we don't see Essen in a bigger role.

• Love 1

You can almost bet that Maroni and Falcone have her ear and they influence her decisions to assign cases, meaning she likely has to battle them, her morals and her better judgment just to ensure that the peace is maintained in Gotham. Just that aspect alone should be enough material to draw upon for the character, and it's maddening that in a show that's supposed to be all about Gotham that we don't see Essen in a bigger role.

Ahh, I understand and agree.

I guess this was the Halloween episode, although given the time lag in making it across the Atlantic, that's rather lost on me. Still, a nice creepy episode - was there ever an explanation of why the psychiatrist/hypnotherapist was sewing coins into the back of her victims' necks? It was such a bizarre yet specific signature that you'd think it had to mean something.

immortalfrieza At the end I was expecting the therapist to say something akin to "you are totally right, but you don't have a single shred of actual physical evidence to prove any of it" and then just walk away, but of course instead she has to sic that old guy on him and run thus giving Harvey just cause to arrest her.

But that's flying in the face of every cop show ever! Absolutely correct, though.

Ubiquitous I wonder how many times Kristen has told HR about Ed Nygma?

I suspect they've come back with "He may be a weirdo, but he's good at his job" and/or "He's cheap!"

MDKNIGHT My guess is they were going to parlay ID by Homeless Guy into an excuse to arrest and then brow beat (or actually beat) a confession out of Gordon and Bullock.

Well, I presume the idea is to get Gordon (and/or Bullock) to rat out people higher up the food chain. Though as Gordon observed in Batman Begins "In a town like Gotham, who would I rat to!?"