Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E06: And The Abyss Gazes Back

Not a bad episode. I like the creature of the week stuff, reminds me of Buffy and that was a winning combo for me. 

Now Katrina? *sigh* Thankfully she was not in this episode, but what is going on in the previews. The writers need to stop trolling the fans, either KILL her or let he become useful. Since her inception, she has done nothing but get kidnapped, provide half truths or just flat out be useless. I'm about ready for her to go. 

• Love 8

I really enjoyed meeting Corbin's son and getting an episode that explored how Corbin's relationship with Abbie affected him. I really liked the chemistry between him and Abbie, and I don't believe for one second that Abbie was old enough to babysit him when they were kids. They look practically the same age. LOL. I really do hope that we'll see him again. That said, I don't know whether to think  he was naive or stupid. I know he was desperate to be free of the curse, but why would he ever think that going with the man who put such a vicious curse on him would so kindly release him of the curse if he gave Henry what he wanted.

Very disappointed at how under utilized Jenny was in this episode. Don't understand why they didn't just go for the bloodbath instead of letting Henry get away with the demon blood.

Sorry Crane but Joe Corbin's dilemma is NOTHING like Henry being the Horseman of War. Joe was/is still a good man and was completely innocent. And though Henry started out innocent too, his soul has been long lost. Again, this 'oh I must save my son' 'I won't give up on my son' is not working for me. I do not see or feel even an inkling of a familial bond between Crane, Katrina and Henry.

The yoga scene  between Crane and Abbie was made of gold! Loved it.

They really need to figure out a way to get Crane and Abbie in to see Irving. Him rotting away in the mental institution with only Henry's request as his lawyer to stop them from visiting seems rather thin. I know a lot has been going on, but he did a lot to help them last season and paid the price for that. They should be doing more to help him.

Strange that Reyes was MIA again this episode, after making such a heavy splash in the first couple of episodes, I thought she'd be riding Abbie about cases and such, spending too much time with Crane etc. every chance she got. But she's disappeared I guess until they're ready to use her to move along the plot.

I thought the episode started off strong, but lost steam towards the end. The resolution to Joe's situation kind of fell flat for me.

I wonder how Headless is going to feel about Henry possessing Katrina with the demon spider. Don't know how long this alliance will last when they seem to have different agendas.

Nitpick:

Why was there not a murder investigation surrounding Joe's friends that ended up dead in the woods?

Edited by Enero
  • Love 5

Can we trade Joey for Hawley? Joey was more likeable (probably because I didn't feel like he was shoved down my throat) in one episode than Hawley has been in four. And for the love of all that is holy, why, why, why are they going there with Abbie, Jenny, and Hawley? Ugh. That's just not going to end well for anyone involved. The Hawley character has potential, but it's like they're doing everything possible to make me dislike him.

Good episode; it was nice to see that Jenny does, still, in fact exist (and continues to be pretty badass). I always enjoy getting a peek into Abbie's past, and tonight was no exception. "Varieties of rodent hats" was amazing--and on the shallow end, speaking of heads, please always keep Ichabod's hair pulled back, show. He's much less attractive with it loose. I liked Joey, and hope he comes back to play every once in a while, though I doubt he will.

Finally there was some actual movement on Irving's story, but it's still not quite doing it for me. I'm not sure why--maybe because it's been so spread out?--but it's just not cohering for me. And tbh the drunk driver who injured Macy was such a reprehensible human being, it probably would have been a Good thing for Irving to off him.

I agree on Katrina--I like the character more than most, but it's crap or get off the pot time, the show needs to figure out what the hell it wants to do with her (and if the answer is nothing, then just kill her).

Don't understand why they didn't just go for the bloodbath instead of letting Henry get away with the demon blood.

I assumed because any blood meant the Wendigo would come out, which would likely mean they all died. I thought that was ultimately why Joe gave in--he couldn't stomach the idea that he would kill everyone in the room.

Edited by stealinghome
  • Love 8

This show is sorta losing me.

I watch, but I don't really pay attention like I did last season.  The people I started watching it for (which includes Jenny and Frank Irving, AHEM) seem to be barely on any more, traded away for more nubile young white guys (disclaimer: I don't really care to make a huge issue of the show's diversity issues, welcome or unwelcome, but... just sayin'.  The show's gotten a lot whiter and a lot more male. )

Last season this show got 90% of my attention each time it was on, now I'd say my attention level has waned to 50%. 

I enjoyed Henry finally having a face to face confrontation with our heroes in this episode, however.

• Love 4

"Peter Parker? No he was that arachnid hero."

So Crane did the half pony tail because of Katrina but now that he can't trust her, the hair elastic is gone, he wears a crew neck shirt while doing yoga, is way into online gaming (I died when he said 'Haloismybitch12')  and now looks like Colonial Jesus.  Show, less of Hawley and more of this.  

Edited by mtlchick
  • Love 13

Totally agree Abbie has WAY more chemistry with Joey than Hawley.  Take note showrunners!

Actually liked the make-up job for the Wendigo.  Damn if it wasn't genuinely scary.

Crane, I get where you're coming from, with your son but you gotta just let it go.

Will SOMEBODY get Irving out of the madhouse already?!?  Even if it's just for him to go into hiding or on the run.  God, I miss seeing Orlando interact with the other members of the crew. 

Let's find more for Jenny to do and for god's sakes NOT in some stupid Abby/Hawley/Jenny triangle. 

• Love 7

Irving's situation is killing me! The horror as his hands were around that guy's neck? Henry lies like he breathes- that guy may not be the actual driver, imo. Why would he be in a mental institution and anywhere in Irving's jurisdiction?  Or, why would Irving be allowed to potentially have his police powers in full  in the area his daughter's attacker was sent? I don't have 100% full trust in The Police, but I still believe that situation wouldn't be allowed.

As to Joe? Once I understood about the curse I wanted to hug him. (Superman jammies!) After learning how he was cursed? I wanted to bear hug him. Then beat the unholy snot out of Henry, again, some more. I am glad that Joe recovered and can come back to help, potentially, in the future.

Why, in the name of all that's holy, does Ichabod have to love Henry? Certainly not to the detriment of humankind. Can't The Almighty know that Henry's loved by his father? Isn't that good enough? The Show seems determined to tell Ichabod it is not.  The Show can shut up. Being a parent means doing the hard, right thing. If that means killing Henry for mankind's future? Time to step up for your Daddy pants, Ichabod! 

Hawley is okay, but no, I would prefer for him to stay an ex of Jenny's. The man has no respect for anything's actual value ( ask the tribe from tonight's episode.) Yes, still hoping the S.S. Captain Jenny will set sail, but not opposed to Jenny getting attention until the Captain is free. Just not Hawley.

Shallow: I think I like Ichabod's hair down.  Also? More yoga, Crane. In this day and time, the Core is needed in your line of work! *g*

Previews: Just hope there is some dang movement on the Katrina front! I am neutral on Katrina, despite the lies, due to us not getting much of a feel for her as a character. Katrina has been 'seen' by us through other people's POVs: Ichabod, Headless, Henry, the coven, Moloch, but not often- if at all- from her own POV, except for last week. I just want to see her have character movement; don't care which way- just DO something!

• Love 5

Can we trade Joey for Hawley? Joey was more likeable (probably because I didn't feel like he was shoved down my throat) in one episode than Hawley has been in four. And for the love of all that is holy, why, why, why are they going there with Abbie, Jenny, and Hawley? Ugh. That's just not going to end well for anyone involved. The Hawley character has potential, but it's like they're doing everything possible to make me dislike him.

Seriously, you took the words right out of my mouth.  Joe and Abbie had great chemistry, and it could have gone either way; as a brother/sister dynamic or a real flirtation.  Even with his assy behavior in the beginning (albeit understandable), Joe is a hell of a lot more affable than Hawley and I could see him fitting in with Crane and Jenny, too.  I was hoping he would ask Abbie if he could stay and help them fight, not go to Quantico.  Damn.  If they want viewers to like Hawley, they really need to bench him for an episode or two.  Makes no sense that he's getting more airtime than Jenny and Irving, who are actual regulars.

That said, at least Jenny and Irving made an appearance this week.  Irving just continues to break my heart.  I didn't realize that Macey's accident meant that she could never have children.  :(

Why do writers think that love triangles are fun to watch?  It never works out and the last thing the Mills sisters need is more strife.  Especially over the overused Hawley.  

Oh, Ichabod, between your hair being down this week, yoga, and playing video games, you continue to make me smile.  I would love to see him get drunk.  But him going all "I must save my son" at the end was just tiring.  Henry has done nothing to imply that he gives a damn about anyone and he's more than willing to sacrifice his parents to his own cause.

Edited by Amethyst
  • Love 7

Even though Katrina has displayed her powers on an occasion and half, she's in the predicament that she was in the first season: a prisoner who is literally powerless. All they did was change the scenery and captor. She honestly adds nothing to the show. I don't dislike her, but it's taking too long to get from point A to point B or, at least, make her intriguing or something rather than sketchy. I can tolerate her and feel she has no purpose--she's no Laurel (which is a good thing).

Edited by Nanrad
  • Love 1

What did he call butts? Double-jugs? What?! What the hell did I hear? Lol!

A++ on the Wendigo transformation. Super creepy and it made me gasp. The monsters on this show can vary in quality at times (Tree monster?) but when they're on, they're right on. Haven't been so unsettled by antlers since Hannibal.

Henry is an asshole. But he's not scary, he just reminds me of a petulant teenager with bullies for friends. I don't know if Ichabod or even Katrina's love will make a dent, but if it does, Henry's dead meat. He's too evil to live.

I liked the inclusion of the Shawnee group. I hope they make another appearance. Especially Big Ash, he was cool. And Hawley's scared of him, which is amusing.

Joey and Abbie's relationship was adorable. I enjoyed everything about their dynamic, even though the ages seemed off. When he volunteered the demon blood to save the Mills sisters it was like watching him tie on that old Superman cape. They did a lot with a character in just one episode and I hope he comes around more often. He's family, afterall.

I like Crane's new look. Very 70's. He's catching up!

• Love 2

Why, in the name of all that's holy, does Ichabod have to love Henry? Certainly not to the detriment of humankind. Can't The Almighty know that Henry's loved by his father? Isn't that good enough? The Show seems determined to tell Ichabod it is not.

I'm wondering WHY he loves Henry.  He spent absolutely no time with his son as his son, believed adult Henry to be a completely different person who wasn't much more than an acquaintance, and then learned that Henry was evil and crazy.  Nor does he have a hormonal reason for a bond, given that he's the father not the mother.  I can't say for sure that I'd know how I'd react in such a situation, but I have a hard time believing that in that situation I could feel the all-encompassing love I feel for my normal non-witchy non-crazy kids.  I think Crane is more in love with the idea of his son, and I'd love it if Crane is eventually confronted with this -- that his "relationship" with his son cannot be fixed or normalized, and that he cannot be a father-figure to him.

Loved Joey, and I hope we eventually see more of him, say, at the very end when the final battle comes; he'd be an important ally.

Why would a drunk driver be in an insane asylum?  I like the idea that he's not really the driver.  Stay strong, Irving! Once again the theology is all screwed up (from my perspective), but I'll just go with it, because it's Sleepy Hollow.

• Love 10

I think that most of you have already said what I would have said, but one more thing to add:  Whoever cast the actor to play Corbin's son did a really good job.  I could actually believe that he was related.  He looked like him to me.

• Love 10

I know some hate that Hawley may cause trouble for Jenny's relationship with Abbie, but honestly he earns his keep every time he annoys Crane.

As much as they're letting Hawley into their lives they clearly haven't told him that Ichy is 200+ years old.  It's fun for him to be the only regular who really only gets 1/2 the story.

It's also amazing fun to watch Ichy watch Hawley and Abbie bond.

Ichabod definitely doesn't love Henry, but I think he thinks he SHOULD.  He definitely feels some sort of responsibility, but considering he never knew about the baby, he needs to disperse his guilt soon.

Oh and Katrina totes isn't going to die. It's like TPTB forgot they told us Moloch wants her alive.  If she can move closer to the dark side, though, that would be most good.

• Love 9

Is it just me or has Orlando Jones’ acting become way over the top??? The two scenes he was in were so insane they took me out of the rhythm of the storyline. He was awful.
And by the way what did Orlando do to piss off the writers? Why have they side lined his character?

Where is Reyes?

Speaking of the writers. If they continue with this love triangle with Hawley I think I have to stop watching the show. Jenny and Abbie have enough family drama without the two sisters fighting over a man. I beg you, please don’t do this storyline.

Whoever suggested that Joe Jr become part of the group is right. He would be perfect to help because he has combat training as opposed to Hawley whose only accomplishment so far is to be tall, blond and really annoying. I don’t mind him being there sometimes but why have him be an ex of Jenny???

I couldn’t even enjoy the loopiness of this episode because the previews for next week’s made me so mad. WTF writers!!!! Just let Katrina be part of the group..She can do witchcraft and she and Crane can knoodle in the corner for all I care..just please stop with the damsel in distress, the whole world has to stop to go save Katrina shit.

OK now that I have complained and yelled I want to say that the monster this week was really awesome and very scary.

I loved the interactions that Abbie and Joe had. Great sibling rivalry.

Ichabod doing yoga was very funny but the video game was something they could have saved for an outtake or webisode. It was a little too silly.

I liked Ichabod’s long flowing locks. I vote ..No ponytail.

Edited by Pacodakat
  • Love 2

A really, really forgettable episode, I thought.

No real advancement in the different storylines and I could care less about Corbin's son.

I like the bit with Ichabod and the Breathalizer and his reaction to Abbie calling Daniel Boone "That guy with the raccoon on his head".

• Love 1

Really enjoyed the episode.  They went to the well a lot of times with comedy for Crane and I think it worked every time.  A credit to Tom Mison.

I liked Joe too and really thought he looked like the younger version of the Chief of Guards from Shawshank, so well done on the casting standpoint.  Him and Abby had some good chemistry.

Henry continues to be the creepiest son to a mother yet.  I have to admit, I don't know what Ichabod loves him either.  Maybe he's remembering him as just Henry Parish but that was just an act.

One issue I had...according to Joe, what happened in Afghanistan happened two weeks ago.  I know he wasn't injured in that (he was the wendigo after all) but would he really be back in the States and out of the Marines in just two weeks.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 5

Yay, for a Corbin flashback and another Clancy Brown appearance!  I always like it when they touch on the Corbin/Abbie relationship. The Joe character was also a nice touch, and I like his scenes with Abbie.

I mainly enjoyed the episode, until the end, when Ichabod tried to compare what is going on with Henry, to Joe.  Sorry, no, Ichabod. This is not the same.  Joe was not in control when he was the Wendigo, and couldn't stop what was happening.  Henry knows full well that Moloch is evil as hell, but is fully working with him, because of his issues with Ichabod and Katrina (or, as Ichabod himself witty remarked, going through a "rebellious phase.")  That's a huge difference.  Joe was able to be cured.  I think it's too late for Henry.  Way too late.  Ichabod (and Katrina) need to wake up and realize this, or someone close to them might pay for it.

Still mixed on Hawley.  Still like Matt Barr and I enjoy the Hawley/Ichabod scenes, but I still feel like he's eating up Jenny's screen time, and I certainly am not a fan of any potential Jenny/Abbie/Hawley love triangle.

Sadly, it does feel like they are at a lost with what to do with Frank.  Having him separated from the gang is really hurting him.  He was at his best when he was interacting with Abbie, or reacting to Ichabod.  Not so much watching him get schooled by Henry every week.

Not looking forward to next week, since it might be Katrina-centric.

• Love 4

I was shocked that any urban fantasy show would attempt a wendigo episode after disastrous attempts by Charmed and Supernatural. I was pleasantly surprised and pleased. This was an actual creepy transformation. I'll miss Joe, who looked so much like Clancy Brown that it was uncanny. He fit so well with the cast and had great believable chemistry. And I loved that he didn't hug Abbie at the end.

Henry is an asshole. I get his anger with Katrina whose friends had immediate memories of her and failed Jeremy as guardians, but Ichabod was ostensibly dead. The petulance motivating his actions is irritating.

There better not be a Hawley love triangle. The only thing I will accept is if it's like that Fraiser episode at the ski lodge: Jenny wants Hawley, Hawley wants Abbie, and Abbie doesn't have time for any of this nonsense.

I think my big issue with the show is that all of the characters seem disconnected, which is kind of strange because all of the individual storylines are immediately connected to the main plot.

• Love 4

Jenny needs to break Irving out of the joint.

Having a hard time buying into Crane's love of his son.  He did not know he existed until just a while ago and Henry has been non-stop horrible ever since he found out.  Not sure when those paternal feelings had a chance to grow.

Not a Katrina fan, but I felt bad for her when the spider went in her mouth.  May not sleep tonight.

Edited by DeLurker
  • Love 3

I didn't enjoy this episode nearly as much as the previous two. The promo monkeys billed this as scary, and with the exception of the last thirty seconds, I didn't find it as creepy as the last two. The evil spider, however, was terrifying. Both my husband and I may be guilty of yelling "Kill her!" when we saw it crawling on Katrina. 

The yoga scene was funny the first couple times, but I wish it hadn't been in the ads because it was old news to me by the time the episode aired. I did like Crane's fluffy wig. It looks like we've moved away from the half ponytail era for both Crane and Abbie.

I'm sure we're heading towards something big for Irving, but he's really been wasted so far this season. I hope that changes sooner rather than later. 

I was almost hoping Team Witness would fail to cure Corbin Jr. Not that I had anything against him, but I think it's okay for them to have the occasional loss in this war. I also agree with those questioning Crane's love for Henry. He may feel like he should love his son, maybe even love the idea of his son, but I don't see how he can love twisted Jeremy/Henry, the horseman of war.

• Love 2

I thought the actor playing Joe's son did a really nice job.  Creepy head on the wendigo was really creepy.

In the shallow end of the pool, Ichabod's hair is glorious. And I LOVED that he was playing a video game and trying to remember Clark Kent vs Peter Parker.  Man those two bits really made me laugh.

On the oh HELLLL NO end,  fuck that spider shit. NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOOOOOOOOOOOOOPE. NOPITY NOPE NOPE. I'm gonna have freaking nightmares about that. Jerks

• Love 7

Too bad the wendigo wasn't a Mohawk legend. I would've enjoyed another visit with Seamus.

Crane looked extra special hot tonight. I loved his hair down. Was his main outfit slightly different too? Maybe he was wearing something Caroline (sob) made for him?

Also, all the Crane comedy bits were gold.

Corbin's son was cool and perfectly cast. Hope we see more of him sometime.

I actually like Hawley (mainly due to Crane's reactions to him), but I could use a break from him. I could also use a break from Henry. Big Bads work better for me in more measured doses.

I like Orlando Jones and love how enthusiastic he is about the show, but I honestly don't miss his character.

Did not miss Katrina tonight. Not looking forward to her reappearance next week.

More Jenny please!

Edited by cynic
  • Love 4
Having a hard time buying into Crane's love of his son.  He did not know he existed until just a while ago and Henry has been non-stop horrible ever since he found out.  Not sure when those paternal feelings had a chance to grow.

I think it's more like he wants to be a good father and in his mind believing he can help Jeremy is being a good father. Whether he "loves" Henremy? Jerenry? or not is hard to know but I think he WANTS to love him because it is his son. If that makes any sense.

• Love 4

I am slowly losing interest in this season, I don't like the extreme lack of Jenny and Irving. I also don't like that Jenny is being cut out and replaced by Hawley in order to give Abbie a love interest. The idea that they're going to try an Abbie/Hawley relationship after setting up Jenny/Hawley as Friends with Benefits is nasty...what is it with shows and sister swapping? Urgh!

I don't begrudge Abbie a love interest but give her a good one, hell Joe would be preferable after this episode.

One thing I will give the show credit for, I like how everything is tied to some grand plan by Henry. The bone from the pied Piper was used to curse Joe. However it's also a bit ridiculous in a way. Too overly complicated like a James Bond villain

• Love 4

I liked this episode and I really appreciated it more watching it right after Got Ham?

The scene with Ichabod playing games online was too funny:  "You are a slop bucket. You are a pus sludge, no good, by-blow pair of buns!"

And then the Shawnee member is called Big Ash?

I see an underlying theme to the show. 

Edited by EverCat
  • Love 1

Good Episode, maybe top 3 of this season so far for me.

The good

I really liked baby Corbin and I really wanted him to ask to be part of the police force in Sleepy Hollow. Although I am thinking that him being sent to Quantico might be useful later on because we still don't know with what intentions Irving was sent to Sleepy Hollow originally.

Liked all the funny bits.

The Abby/Joe interactions were just perfect you could see her remembering him as a kid, trying to be superman.

I like an efficient villain so the long con of Henry was dramatically appreciated. I am sensing a pattern of Henry trying to tear the witnesses apart by making Abbie resent him while Ichabod tries harder to "save" him. I have decided to call Henry/Jeremy: Jenry.

From the previews it seems Katrina will be joining the team which makes her useful and her scenes less convoluted/shoehorned. Hopefully that will help to form more of an opinion of her.

Also liked Ichabod's hair down.

The confusing

I am guessing that when Ichabod realises he is losing a part of his family in Katrina, he is latching on to Jeremy because he still doesn't want to let go. Because before this episode he seemed to only see War when looking at Jenry so why the hell is he all "I must save my son" now? 

Are they going full love triangle or not? Because from what was shown on the show so far, when ignoring the summer spoilers, it seems Hawley is intrigued by Abbie and Jenny just wants to hook up while being unaware of his interest in her sister. Sounds like more of an awkward situation rather than a triangle which is just fine with me. If that's all it stays, great.

My grievances

More Jenny.

More Irving.

Why they feel the need to decrease others' screen times for Hawley to be involved in the story, IDK but it's a big no-no. I can't help but feel this is an editing choice. Either way, stop it now show. If I have to see more of Katrina who is less appealing to me, I should have more of the characters I actively like.

Triangles suck, even a hint of them unnerves me so please stop.

• Love 2

Next time Ichy decides to wear his hair down, I hope he showers and combs that thing. He looked squalid and fugly.

Can we trade Joey for Hawley?

Even better, can we trade him for Ichy? If this episode showed me anything is that he can be killed off and Abbie would be much better off. It's amazing what a hypocrite and useless moron he is. Now he's going to waste resources and most probably use Abbie to redeem his ugly son, all of this because he still trusts Katrina, after everything he's learned about her? Just get rid of this old bore and make Jenny the second Witness. All he's ever done is make Moloch's job easier.

I'm wondering WHY he loves Henry.

He loves Henry, because Ichy loves things that are about him. That's why he only loves two people in this world, his wife and son, and doesn't give a flying fig about anybody else.

I know Nick is not a fan favorite, but I like him and I wish they did something else with him than this triangle crap. I have to give the actor props though, for nailing the "falling in love" look. Take notes, Tom!

Irving's situation is killing me. I need him back with the team right now. I can't stand his storyline. This season is such a mess! Making the Cranes the focus has ruined this show.

• Love 1

I am slowly losing interest in this season, I don't like the extreme lack of Jenny and Irving. I also don't like that Jenny is being cut out and replaced by Hawley in order to give Abbie a love interest.

Jenny and Hawley were in most of ther scenes together so I don't believe she's being cut out. If anything Hawley adds a new dimension and backstory for Jenny's character. Usually when Hawley is on the screen either Jenny, Crane or Abbie are there with him so to me he is not cutting out any of the characters I care about. Plus his interaction with Crane are glorious and Crane could use a male friend. Jenny and Abbie are two beautiful women. It would be disingenious for the show not to acknowledge that somehow. Hawley's interest kind of provides that avenue.

If there is any character who is cutting into the funtime it's Katrina. Every time they cut to her character I feel like we are being cheated out of the real --or better-- storylines.

• Love 4

That flashback with Abbie and Corbin was the best scene this season by far.

Well, there is the answer for those who wondered who Crane would side with. I never doubted for a second his loyalties are and will always be with Katrina and Henry no matter what. The good thing is that there were no meaningless oaths and speeches to Abbie about trust. Thank god! Now if this prick could only stop manipulating Abbie with his false equivalences between Joe and Henry, it would be great. My only, if feeble, hope is that Abbie doesn't allow herself to be dragged into this tedious Crane drama. Let him deal with his son and wife on his own.

Another Katrina episode next week. Katrina in peril at that! Are they kidding me with this bullshit again? Obviously nothing is going to happen to her. I'm tired of this boring waste of time.

The Good:

- Fantastic casting for Joe Corbin.  He could be really related to Clancy Brown.

- Great make-up for the Wendigo.  He looked appropriately scary.  I also love How Ab & Ichabod don't have time to be shocked anymore by stuff they see.  They go into 'Get Shit Done' mode right away.

- Excellent use of Abbie-centric flashback.  In just a couple scenes, they were able to establish a strong and believable connection between Abbie & Joe. I got his resentment, I got her reaching out for a family connection.  And even underneath his resentment I still got a real strong sibling vibe between them.  I also got the vibe once again that Abbie was somehow the favored one.  He didn't seem to resent Jenny anywhere near as much.

- Big Ash.  Yum. 

- Violence and Order.  This is what Henry called Jenny and Abbie.  Very astute.

- Ichy being suspicious of & bitchy toward Hawley is never old.

- I like how they are still keeping Hawley in the dark about Ichabod.  Can't wait to see his reaction when he realizes the truth.

The Frustrating:

- The Abbie/Joe stuff underlines how much the show can benefit from a more balanced treatment of the Witnesses.  It feels like Ichabod's Katrina/Jeremy angst has been slowly swallowing the narrative.  And until I we got the Abbie/Joe stuff, I didn't realize how much that was the case and how hungry I was for more Abbie related revelations.

- I like Hawley as an addition, but I need more Jenny.   The episode felt like a callback to the 'Midnight Ride'/'Necromaner' episodes tonally.  But what those episodes had that this one didn't was a feeling of whole team action.  While Ab & Ich were in the Masonic Lair with Headless, Jenny and Irving were out killing Hessians.  This needed some of that more decisive action.  But instead Jenny and Hawley felt like they were standing around waiting for stuff to happen.  Those two are great muscle and have some much needed skills for the team.  Use them wiser!

- Abbie really needs a Come To Jesus talk with Ichabod about his Henry shit.  There is no way he could compare Joe to Henry.  Abbie actually had a real relationship with Joe for years.  Ichabod's blood connection to a man he doesn't really know can't compare.

- I understand the need to isolate Irving to get him more dependent on Henry, but it seems like he on a different show.  Again, last season they took pains to give him a family.  Why hasn't Cynthia visited?  Or Macy?  It would bring the horror in much more stark focus if we could see how much he is losing with his contract with Henry instead of being told it.

The Ugly

- Ugh! Don't even get me started on how many fucks I do not give about Katrina.  Next week's preview is just... Ugh.  So they have to save her ass again?  And why exactly did she stay behind again?  To Spy?  To get Intel?  How exactly did that go again?  Yeah.  No words.

Hawley can still get it, though.  Especially if he brings Big Ash with him.

Edited by DearEvette
  • Love 4

Big Ash?? Somebody is an Army of Darkness fan...gimme some sugar, baby!

How could I forget the hottest man in this show after John Cho? *fans self* That's how you do loose hair. Bring him back, show!

- Ugh! Don't even get me started on how many fucks I do not give about Katrina.  Next week's preview is just... Ugh.  So they have to save her ass again?  And why exactly did she stay behind again?  To Spy?  To get Intel?  How exactly did that go again?  Yeah.  No words.

Normally, I would object to this awful treatment of any other female character. A forced pregnancy, used as a vessel for a demonic creature? Ew! But this is Katrina, we're talking about. She's horrible, bland and brings the show down to her level. What a mistake on the producers' part to make this plot device a main character. No wonder this Season of Katrina feels stale and pointless.

Totally agree Abbie has WAY more chemistry with Joey than Hawley.  Take note showrunners!

I definitely do not want Abbie to hook up with Joey based solely upon the fact that he was 9 years old when she met him and used to babysit him. There would be a major ick factor for me if the two of them saw each other as anything but brother and sister.

Loved Crane playing with the breathalizer and thinking he won a game. Hee!

I liked his hair down. I don't know if it's just nice to see a change in his appearance or if it's my love of 90s rocker hair, but I liked it. For the record, he has been wearing a low ponytail prior to this, not a half ponytail (which is like a yoga ponytail where the bottom/back part of the hair is still down but the top and/or sides are pulled into a ponytail).

I liked Joey but I'm fine with him going off to Quantico. I don't need the cast to expand into a gigantic Scooby gang of characters. We already have Hawley so if they're going to keep him around then Joey would just be another body.

Even though Crane said he didn't find yoga relaxing, what I liked was that he was willing to try it.

• Love 4

This is getting into Grimm territory.  Overall, this show has a stronger cast, but last two weeks have been the creature of the week.

Not enough Jenny.

Icabod has been quite pompous and arrogant of late.  He needs to at least be okay with Hawley helping.  They need all the help they can get.

Also sick of Icabod knowing everyone from the colonial time period.  Can't he just have "heard" about Daniel Boone?? Also being fluent in Shawnee, is there anything he can't do?

I like this show but it needs to move forward.

• Love 2

I get that some people (maybe rightly so) don't understand how one can love a child simply because it is your child. On the flip side, I perfectly understand how someone can unconditionally love their (hideous) kid just because they are their kid. I see nothing at all odd in Crane's reaction to Henry. Different strokes and crap like that is all.

• Love 8

I am tired of Henry, he's starting to remind me of Narcisse in Boardwalk Empire, pontificating with long winded speeches about bullshit.  I just wish someone would end him if only to shut him up.  

I don't get how Crane can love Henry when he didn't even know he existed.  I mean if someone came up to me and said they were my daughter because of eggs I donated, or something, I don't think I'd be, "aww, you're my kid," but maybe I'm wrong.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 5

I wonder how Headless is going to feel about Henry possessing Katrina with the demon spider. Don't know how long this alliance will last when they seem to have different agendas.

I suspect that Henry thinks Headless' affection for Katrina ( who loves Ichabod) is a weakness and he's trying to drive a wedge between them so that she won't ruin the master plan. If I'm honest I got to go with Henry on this one. Headless needs to get his head in the game, and focus. Worry about love later. 

"Varieties of rodent hats" was amazing--and on the shallow end, speaking of heads, please always keep Ichabod's hair pulled back, show. He's much less attractive with it loose.

Ichabod (and Tom Mison) is attractive no matter the hair, but with the hair down? Totally looked like Steve Coogan's character in Hamlet 2! 

Last season this show got 90% of my attention each time it was on, now I'd say my attention level has waned to 50%. 

There are more episodes this season are there not? Which means more filler episodes, which was not an issue in last season's whirlwind ass kick of a season. 

I'm wondering WHY he loves Henry.  He spent absolutely no time with his son as his son, believed adult Henry to be a completely different person who wasn't much more than an acquaintance, and then learned that Henry was evil and crazy.  Nor does he have a hormonal reason for a bond, given that he's the father not the mother.  I can't say for sure that I'd know how I'd react in such a situation, but I have a hard time believing that in that situation I could feel the all-encompassing love I feel for my normal non-witchy non-crazy kids.  I think Crane is more in love with the idea of his son, and I'd love it if Crane is eventually confronted with this -- that his "relationship" with his son cannot be fixed or normalized, and that he cannot be a father-figure to him.

I think it's more like he wants to be a good father and in his mind believing he can help Jeremy is being a good father. Whether he "loves" Henremy? Jerenry? or not is hard to know but I think he WANTS to love him because it is his son. If that makes any sense.

Ichabod is a creature of duty. A parent is supposed to love and support, aid and show mercy to their child. He's trying to do right by the son he just found out he had. It'll take some time for Ichabod to process that Henry is a lost cause. 

Hawley can still get it, though.  Especially if he brings Big Ash with him.

Naughty! 

Hawley had the line of the night when, after Joey reverted to his human form entirely nude, Hawley passed Abby the gym bag and stated "he's gonna need these"! 

Good thing Captain Irving is in the mental facility, because the way Henry is fucking with him, he's going to need it. 

• Love 1

I get that some people (maybe rightly so) don't understand how one can love a child simply because it is your child. On the flip side, I perfectly understand how someone can unconditionally love their (hideous) kid just because they are their kid. I see nothing at all odd in Crane's reaction to Henry. Different strokes and crap like that is all.

I do understand Ichy's unconditional love for his hideous spawn, even though he doesn't know him and even though he never created a parent-child bond. After all, Henry shares half of his genes and many personality traits, like the neverending whining. There is nothing like love for oneself and I'm sure Ichy sees himself in Henry. However, he doesn't get any sympathy from me, because Ichy, in his selfishness, is perfectly happy to forget his spawn put Abbie in danger, has been trying to kill them all and has callously murdered people. It's the fact that he doesn't care about anybody else but Henry and his useless wife that makes him as bad as them.

I am tired of Henry

Me too. He's a terrible villain and as boring as his parents. I blame the writing.

• Love 3

I love this show but it gives me a headache. I am really upset with someone because they won't lose faith in their son and wife. I am bothered because Abbie is so awesome so when anyone does something that is not pro her, I think it is bad. Crane asking for more time with Henry does not necessarily contradict his statements about it's he and Abbie until the end.  But a part of me still feels bad for Abbie that he keeps on putting Henry on the back burner.

• Love 2

I liked Ichabod’s long flowing locks. I vote ..No ponytail.

My vote is: both.  Not at the same time, obviously, but alternating between the two since I can't make up my mind which I prefer.  Oh, and although I want Ichabod to continuing wearing his colonial (and colonial-style reenactment) clothing most of the time, an occasional reappearance of the yoga togs would be most acceptable.

• Love 3

That yoga scene...I'm still processing. Will post about it later.

Jenny needs to break Irving out of the joint.

Yes, that would be awesome. I would hate for the show to waste Lyndie Greenwood by turning her to the jealous little sister who can't have the man she wants because her older sister gets everything. "Marsha, Marsha, Marsha!"

I love the idea of a Tarrytown breakout. It would 1) give us more badass Jenny and Abbie working together,  2) bring Irving back to the Scooby Gang  3) piss off Reyes, whom I miss, surprisingly. WTF is she, by the way?

- I like how they are still keeping Hawley in the dark about Ichabod.  Can't wait to see his reaction when he realizes the truth.

I like that Hawley is gradually learning about the bat-shit craziness that is Sleepy Hollow. He learned about the Coin of Darkness, then the Pied Piper, and now the Wendigo. I'm sure he knows or suspects that Crane must be part of this supernatural mess, even if he doesn't know Crane's full story. And I love the guys' ongoing pissing contest: Crane gives Hawley the side-eye when Hawley and Abbie are sitting close and poring through Wendigo history books. Hawley rolls his eyes when Crane is able to bond with Big Ash all because Crane knows about Squire Boone and the Shawnee.

And while I don't want a love triangle, I must say that I appreciated Hawley's longing gaze at Abbie. It wasn't skeevy, it wasn't licentious. It was more like, "Damn, girl, you are beautiful. And smart. And brave. And you could give 2 shits about me right now, which is making you even hotter." But he needs to back away slowly, given his history with Jenny and the fact that Jenny still has feelings for him. But will he? Probably not, because this is television and Hawley is a man. (No offense, guys).

Edited by topanga
  • Love 9

I like Irving's story; I just wish there was more of it.  If Jenny's going to do little more than make sad moon eyes at Hawley, it's time for a return to PSI and prison break.

That dude playing Corbin's son looked just like Clancy Brown.

Even more, he looked like an ink-free version of Juice from "Sons of Anarchy."  And considering how much time both men spend crying, it was just really confusing all around.

The scene with Ichabod playing games online was too funny:  "You are a slop bucket. You are a pus sludge, no good, by-blow pair of buns!"

Has he been watching "Hook" in his off time?  I think some of those insults were direct quotes from the Peter/Ruffio dinner show down../

• Love 1
Hawley had the line of the night when, after Joey reverted to his human form entirely nude, Hawley passed Abby the gym bag and stated "he's gonna need these"!

Hawley got a lot of good lines last night:

Wendi-Joe

Dances with Wendigos (referring to Ichabod)

But I liked "If the kid has already gone big, white and horny..."  everybody looks at him like WTF  "uh....Antlery"  LOL.

But I loved Ichabod's line to Hawley said in a snotty-Ichabod way:

Hawley; "Hey wait, nobody said anything about Wendigo blood'

Ichabod: "Big Ash and I discussed it at length.  And oh, look, it is written on the side of this skull."

Also good was a lot of stuff not said.  There was some eye-fuckery (Hawley gazing appreciatively at Abbie, while Abbie was completely oblivious), some eye-what-the-fuckery (From Jenny noticing Haawley gazing at Abbie) and some good old-fashioned stink-eye (from Ichabod at Hawley anytime he saw Hawley with Abbie)

Edited by DearEvette
  • Love 7
Can we trade Joey for Hawley? Joey was more likeable (probably because I didn't feel like he was shoved down my throat) in one episode than Hawley has been in four. And for the love of all that is holy, why, why, why are they going there with Abbie, Jenny, and Hawley? Ugh.

I'll gladly take that trade. I cared more about Joe in half an episode than I do for Hawley after 4.  As others have said, Hawley's presence does nothing but displace Jenny.  He's doing everything that Jenny could AND SHOULD be doing, and I'm not cool with that.  I'd much rather see the family dynamics of the Mills/Corbin clan than any tired triangle they may be planning for Abbie/Jenny/Hawley. 

As for the Crane family dynamic, of course Crane and Katrina should love Henry.  He's their son.  So far, however, they've been terrible parents. Henry needs a hug, some tough love, then another hug.   Joey shouldn't have to tell Ichabod to tell that Henry that he loves him.  He should have done that already.  If he were mine, I'd tell him that what's he's doing is wrong and that I'd fight him until my last breath, but I love him. Henry may look like an old man, but he's still a child.  He needs reassurance.....and some VERY firm boundaries.

ETA:  I miss Irving too.

Edited by LydiaMoon1
  • Love 3