Type keyword(s) to search

Fawlty Towers - General Discussion

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

A place to discuss particular episodes, arcs and moments from the show's run. Please remember this isn't a complete catch-all topic -- check out the forum for character topics and other places for show-related talk.

It's an easy one, but The Germans is easily my favorite episode. The fire drill and moose hanging would've been enough, but everything culminating into "Don't mention the war!" just kills me every time.

"Don't mention the war. I mentioned it once, but I think I got away with it!"

• Love 2

It's an easy one, but The Germans is easily my favorite episode. The fire drill and moose hanging would've been enough, but everything culminating into "Don't mention the war!" just kills me every time.

"Don't mention the war. I mentioned it once, but I think I got away with it!"

The crazy, disjointed look in his eyes and the bandage on his head really sell that line.

• Love 1

When the fire alarm keeps going off and then the telephone rings, Basil yells "HELLO!", breaks the glass with the receiver, and then yells "THANK YOU!" and hangs up. Me: floor. Every time.

"Communication Problems"  is my favorite. Basil's interactions with Mrs. Richards (particularly pretending to talk with no sound coming out so that she thinks her hearing aid isn't working) are all just genius. I always crack up when he screams "MISSUS RICHAAAARDS!" and startles the hell out of the other guest. And all the confusion with Manuel and the Major and the horse money...."I know noooothing...."  and "eventual-lee..." Golden!

Edited by Aja

"Just because a guest isn't singing 'Oh, What A Beautiful Morning' I don't automatically think 'oh, there's another one snuffed it in the night'!" Love that episode too! 

• Love 1

"Just because a guest isn't singing 'Oh, What A Beautiful Morning' I don't automatically think 'oh, there's another one snuffed it in the night'!" Love that episode too! 

Hotel for people who have a better than 50% chance of making it through the night!

I just happened to notice a few weeks ago that my local PBS station was starting to air all 12 episodes, so I recorded them.  I've had a good time just watching one now and then.  Tonight I watched one of my favorites 'The Hotel Inspector'.  I think one of the reasons I like it so much is because of the guest star Bernard Cribbins.  He was good in any role he played.  The whole scene in the dining room with the Spanish omelet, the pate, the lamb casserole and the cheese salad is hysterical.

Basil (watching Sybil file her fingernails):  'I wish you'd help a bit.  You're always refurbishing yourself.'

Sybil (calmly):  'He sells spoons.'  Basil:  'What!?'  Sybil:  'He works for a cutlery firm, but he specializes in spoons.'

• Love 1

I think my two favorites are 'Basil the rat' (or whatever it's called) and 'The Kipper and the corpse'.  

From 'Basil the rat':  I just watched the scene where Basil (the rat) pokes his head out of the biscuit tin and very slowly turns to look at the health inspector (who just seems dazed).  

Also, in addition to several good lines listed by other posters above, 'The Kipper and corpse' has this line as Sybil walks over to Basil and quietly says:  'There's a kipper sticking out of your jumper'.

Andrew Sachs made history in his role as Manuel. Especially in our family. To this day my 72 year-old father still says in an irritated voice "bye bye, please, bye bye" whenever my mother is taking too long to get out the door. RIP, legend.

• Love 3

"Which one of you is man with beard?"

"It's a filigree Siberian hamster!"

Oh, God, I finally think to look to see if there's a FT thread, and the first thing I see is Manuel el morto in Barcelona.

I saw a play in London just because Andrew was  in it.  Funny to heard him with an English accent!  RIP dear sir.

At my last job I had a coworker named Manuel.  At my current job I have a coworker from Barcelona.

Andrew Sachs was also in a movie called Quartet, which is about a nursing home for retired musicians.  I knew he looked familiar, but I couldn't place him until I read the credits at the end.