Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers and Spoiler Discussion

taragel
  • Start Topic

https://tvline.com/2018/11/09/the-affair-anna-paquin-season-5-time-jump-joanie/

Well this is interesting. I don't really understand how adult Joanie is going to be connected to Noah and Helen. I mean, maybe Noah, but... 

It also seems weird that she, what, won't be in contact with her father while she's investigating her mother's death? Maybe they're going to kill Cole and Luisa off. 

I also saw that they cast a new love interest for Helen: https://t.co/77IYa6l47r

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, taragel said:

Well this is interesting. I don't really understand how adult Joanie is going to be connected to Noah and Helen. I mean, maybe Noah, but... 

It also seems weird that she, what, won't be in contact with her father while she's investigating her mother's death? Maybe they're going to kill Cole and Luisa off. 

I also saw that they cast a new love interest for Helen: https://t.co/77IYa6l47r

Hmm interesting. Since it's the last season, I'll definitely watch to see how they wrap it up. And how they portray the future. 

They may not kill off Cole or Luisa. Adult Joanie could be in contact with them, they wouldn't really have to show them on camera. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, MaggieG said:

Hmm interesting. Since it's the last season, I'll definitely watch to see how they wrap it up. And how they portray the future. 

They may not kill off Cole or Luisa. Adult Joanie could be in contact with them, they wouldn't really have to show them on camera. 

Maybe but won't it seem questionable if she discovers something as big as being murdered and we don't see anything from Cole for a reaction. The whole thing is a bit strange honestly. 

• Love 2

What are they going to do, have Noah and Helen as geezers while adult Joanie is traipsing around in Montauk?

Or are they going to have alternate time lines, with Noah and Helen in the present and grown-up Joanie in the future?

If they're going to feature Joanie mostly, they might as well spin it off as a different show.

I thought Treem said we'd never find out how Alison died so they're going to make a big part o the final season about finding out how Alison died?

Maybe she realized midstream "shit, we don't have any story for another season!"

• Love 1
9 hours ago, MaggieG said:

All that's been announced is that the actors won't be regulars, not that they won't appear. 

6 hours ago, scrb said:

I thought Treem said we'd never find out how Alison died so they're going to make a big part o the final season about finding out how Alison died?

That's how I remember it, along with much discussion here (and many interviews with Treem) about how it was either/or, pick one, that's how this show rolls. Tonight I read a tweet from Treem 2 days before Episode 9 aired, where she directs viewers to two songs in that ep, whose lyrics appear to verify murder if you watch the ep through the lens of those lyrics. Going to a link within a link here took me to an August 12 TV column wherein the writer references that Alison was murdered, mystery over. Maybe he was full of shit because you'd think a TV reviewer would be current with the stand the showrunner is taking. Am I wrong in remembering that Treem was everywhere saying that it was intentionally smoke-and-mirrors ambiguous? I guess we have to scour the internet because if you base your thoughts on watching the show and 5 quotes from the showrunner, ha ha for believing them because it turns out there's a 6th quote out there that solves it but you didn't come across it. I am so lost. 

August 10

If you're a fan of JasonIsbell like I'm a fan of JasonIsbell, pay close attention to the songs we use in Episode 9. They'll tell you everything you need to know. 

_ _ _ _ _ _

The Jason Isbell songs are Cover Me Up and Live Oak. They appear to be about poor judgment and trusting the wrong people. The only music I associate with this show is Fiona Apple's theme song. I apologize if this is old news - it's new to me and I don't remember posters here referring to it. (Altho that doesn't mean they didn't, heh heh).

From this November 9 link here in Spoilers ... 

... I went to this August 12 link and TV column. Granted, I don't know the reputation of the writer or the site, perhaps the writer simply chose to see murder as cause of death along with many of us here. All the columns and reviews I remember reading went the let-the-viewer-decide route and applauded and or dissed the episode. Did I mention that I am so lost? 

https://tvline.com/2018/08/12/the-affair-recap-ben-kills-alison-no-suicide-season-4-episode-9/

Edited by suomi
3 hours ago, Pallas said:

In the aftershow video, Treem was unequivocal that Alison was murdered but that the other characters -- not the audience -- did not know that.  

Well we had discussions about how well or not Ben covered his tracks.

he wiped down any blood in the apt. and hid any traces he was there that night?

Not to mention carrying her body all that distance and nobody happened to see him.

Season five looks to be a mess. It sounds like Treme is making it up as she goes along - and that actors are jumping because of the chaos. I don't know if I will check it out. Just don't see how they can square it with what went before. Noah and Helen were my two least favourite characters - well, besides the fey Sierra - and I am not that happy about Anna joining the cast.  I don't see how they can put all this together and make sense of it.

• Love 2

Did anyone see the Instagram clip from The Affair set yesterday...showing Helen reading a statement over the phone...talking about “the women that came forward in the Vanity Fair article..” and mentions Noah. It sounds like there is going to be a “Me Too” storyline, perhaps picking up the old thread that Noah didn’t always seem to understand what “consent” meant with the women he was involved with ( including his wife.)

(sorry...I don’t know how to add a link to the insta post!)

That would be an interesting wrinkle, capitalizing on the headlines.

I guess it would appeal to a lot of viewers.

But the show is effectively over with Alison gone, though it stopped being about THE affair a long time ago.

So they have to dig to come up with ideas to pull the viewers back in.  The other idea is the kid going back and investigating the murder 20-30 years later.

Whatever.

• Love 1