Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers and Spoiler Discussion

taragel
  • Start Topic

According to Matt Roush at TV Guide:

A slight spoiler alert that episode 4, airing this Sunday, will break the format, when Noah and Allison spend a fateful day together on Block Island. The episode is still split between his and her perspective, more or less, but the action is continuous instead of presenting the same event from two angles. Doesn't make what transpires any less riveting, and it's an hour I'm keen on re-watching for more behavioral clues.

Interesting. I'd like to see them take more chances with the format too and if it makes it to S2, hope they'll experiment with giving us Cole and/or Helen's POVs too as Sarah Treem once mentioned they might.

Not sure if this should be media or spoilers since it is an official promo but then I know how some feel about even promos, so figured I would post it in here just in case. A sneak peek at Season 2. 

I have probably a lot more thoughts on this but I'll just say I am definitely not here for a season of Cole being made out to be some nut harassing or obsessing over Alison. Of course keeping in mind the format of this show, I guess it's possible that would just be her version and memory of things and not necessarily as it is but honestly, I can't stand Noah and Alison so much that I think both Helen and Cole are better off without either of them in their life. I did enjoy seeing Noah carted off to jail since I really, really don't like him.

• Love 4

Yeah, also not thrilled with the idea that Cole turns into a crazy person because of all this. The more this show continues, the more I'm going to dislike Noah and Allison I think.

(edited)

What's interesting about how disliked Alison and Noah are by so many viewers is that based on some of the producers/creators' media, I get the feeling they expected the audience to love and root for them. That so many people don't feel that way I think is telling about a failure either on the writers' part or the actors or producers, etc. Treem did an interview recently where she said she was surprised at how intensely and passionately some felt about the storyline and didn't realize viewers would be so bothered by infidelity.

The thing is though, the infidelity on its own isn't why I hate Alison and Noah. I have watched plenty of shows/movies with characters who've cheated and like them just fine. My issue with Noah and Alison is that I just find them plain unlikeable - especially him. That really is the crux for me. It's not simply that they were two people in unhappy marriages who found each other but they're both very selfish and self-centered people. I actually found both Noah and Alison to be quite cruel at times during the season, again especially him. And on top of all that, I watched the whole season and feel like I'm still waiting to actually see this amazing love story that exists between them.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 4

You're not alone!

Thank God. I still wonder what's the point of watching this show without even caring a little bit about them?

@truthaboutluv of course they're selfish but not cruel :S And I think they showed several times how much they love each other.

I root for them. can't help it

(edited)

Thank God. I still wonder what's the point of watching this show without even caring a little bit about them?

@truthaboutluv of course they're selfish but not cruel :S And I think they showed several times how much they love each other.

I root for them. can't help it

Hey that's your prerogative. I'm only explaining my opinions and feelings on the show, not asking or expecting anyone else to agree. As for why someone would watch the show without caring about Alison and Noah, well speaking for myself personally, even disliking those two, I still find the writing fairly compelling, I think the actors are all doing an amazing job (though I'd say I find Dominic West to be the least impressive of the four leads) and as stupid as it seems so far, I am interested in the whole mystery/why Noah's getting arrested, etc. because sue me, I'm a sucker for a mystery. Also, interestingly, considering they were both only seen through the eyes of their spouse who wanted out of the marriage, I like Helen and Cole just fine. 

Well that's the beauty of boards like this and why they exist. You and I see it completely different and that's okay. As I said, I'm hardly so puritanical as to balk at characters having an affair. But I personally felt that the great love story between Alison and Noah was a lot of tell and little showing. Well actually, let me be fair, there was some showing that essentially amounted to a lot of gratuitous sex scenes and sorry, sex scenes does not equate to a love story for me. And yes, I do think they were both cruel at times in their actions and words to Helen and Cole.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 4
(edited)

Hey that's your prerogative. I'm only explaining my opinions and feelings on the show, not asking or expecting anyone else to agree. As for why someone would watch the show without caring about Alison and Noah, well speaking for myself personally, even disliking those two, I still find the writing fairly compelling, I think the actors are all doing an amazing job (though I'd say I find Dominic West to be the least impressive of the four leads) and as stupid as it seems so far, I am interested in the whole mystery/why Noah's getting arrested, etc. because sue me, I'm a sucker for a mystery. Also, interestingly, considering they were both only seen through the eyes of their spouse who wanted out of the marriage, I like Helen and Cole just fine. 

Well that's the beauty of boards like this and why they exist. You and I see it completely different and that's okay. As I said, I'm hardly so puritanical as to balk at characters having an affair. But I personally felt that the great love story between Alison and Noah was a lot of tell and little showing. Well actually, let me be fair, there was some showing that essentially amounted to a lot of gratuitous sex scenes and sorry, sex scenes does not equate to a love story for me. And yes, I do think they were both cruel at times in their actions and words to Helen and Cole.

Ops, so sorry if I soundend arrogant, didn't want to :( I was just wondering because basically no one I know watches this show, so I only read opinions all around the Internet and from what I see most of the viewers are not rooting for them. (and I often find myself rooting for characters that everybody "hates" so maybe it's me lol)

Btw, I completely agree with you, without these boards I'd feel so lonely lol Also, you well explained why you still like the show without necessarily rooting for them and now it makes a lot more sense to me, and I must admit the writing and the acting are what make this show so interesting.

And yes, sex is a huge part of their relationship, can't prove it wrong, but I still feel there's more to it.

Edited by baky
(edited)
Ops, so sorry if I soundend arrogant, didn't want to :

Oh  I didn't think you did. Sorry if you got the impression I did. I didn't take any offense to your comments. 

I was just wondering because basically no one I know watches this show, so I only read opinions all around the Internet and from what I see most of the viewers are not rooting for them.

This is interesting and what I was referring to above, about wondering if something is off in the execution on this show. As in the writers had one idea in their head but the execution of it hasn't been as effective or how they planned. It would be one thing if the writers didn't care about viewers liking Noah and Alison and sort of left it up to the audience to feel what they feel but reading a few interviews here and there, I get the feeling they if not wanted, at least expected the viewers to like and root for them. And the fact that so many don't, is a problem in my opinion. So as compelling as the show is, perhaps the writers' intent vs. their execution, did not properly align. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1

Rooting for Noah and Alison is certainly not the only way to enjoy this show but I think empathy goes a long way. It makes us stop and truly consider Noah's perspective rather than dismissing it simply because he strikes us as arrogant. Noah is a seemingly caring father, a frustrated writer, a possible criminal/conspirator and a man who's fallen for a woman who was not his wife. To ignore the other facets of this character is to do it injustice. Similar argument for the other 3 leads. The drama is written with enough nuance and complexity to sustain interest other than shipping. I still ship them though.

I think the creators of the show didn't take into account how much people would like the other two halves of the marriages that were broken up. Maura Tierney in particular garnered a lot of sympathy for her particularly well-realized portrayal of a woman who sees her life slipping away.  

Plus, I think the marriage they showed between Noah and Helen seemed to be pretty good. No marriage is perfect, but these two seemed to be a team, at least they seemed like they had been.  Noah seemed to me to be a man in a mid-life crisis.  The Affair never struck me as something they couldn't deny.  Like it was destiny or something.  Maybe it was because Noah's version of what happened always showed Allison as more of the aggressor in the relationship, while her version showed her to be more thoughtful. Even in his memories, he seemed to be saying it wasn't his "fault."  

I enjoyed the show and hope they can keep the mystery and duel points of view going as well as they have.

(edited)
Plus, I think the marriage they showed between Noah and Helen seemed to be pretty good. No marriage is perfect, but these two seemed to be a team, at least they seemed like they had been.  Noah seemed to me to be a man in a mid-life crisis.  The Affair never struck me as something they couldn't deny.  Like it was destiny or something.  Maybe it was because Noah's version of what happened always showed Allison as more of the aggressor in the relationship, while her version showed her to be more thoughtful. Even in his memories, he seemed to be saying it wasn't his "fault."

This is exactly a key issue for me with regards to the whole Alison/Noah "true love" notion I think I was supposed to buy, particularly the bolded part. That's exactly what I got out of the season with regards to Noah - a man in his 40's, emasculated on some level for years because he's had to depend on his wife's rich parents, the fun and excitement is gone what with four children and he meets a younger woman who sees him as some god-like savior rescuing her from her crappy small town and more importantly the sex is hot. And it's hot because it's exciting and new and illicit. 

That's why I couldn't buy this great and deep and moving love story I think I was supposed to. Like you noted, it might have helped if in Noah's version of events Alison didn't always come across as this almost oversexed temptress. The difference between Noah's version and Alison's when they met on the beach that first night, is almost comical. There's Alison in her version as this timid, wary, clearly sad woman while Noah's has her all but throwing her naked self at him and about to jump his bones in seconds. And let's not mention his six month or however long sex fest, where apparently every young woman was throwing herself at Noah because he's just that irresistible.

And I agree about his and Helen's relationship not being portrayed as so awful when we first meet them. They were trying to go at it before they were interrupted by their daughter but you got the feeling that they had a somewhat active sex life and were still into each other sexually. The other thing that stood out to me was the ease and comfort between them in that scene where you could tell they still joked and laughed with each other. Yes, they were overwhelmed and Noah had frustrations with his kids but what couple with four kids doesn't? But the marriage didn't seem any worse than a normal marriage in my opinion.

In contrast, Cole and Alison were clearly done and just barely hanging on, which is not surprising considering what they'd been through. There is plenty of literature about couples who cannot survive the loss of a child, particularly because of the very thing we see with Alison - each person gets so bogged down in their own grief, that they're immune to their partner's. So Alison and Cole's marriage being all but over even before she met Noah made sense. But while Alison may not have been having a mid-life crisis a la Noah, I felt like in Noah she saw someone to save and take her away from her unhappy life and existence. But I couldn't buy Noah as that guy because again, all I saw in Noah was a selfish man having a mid-life crisis. And that's why I just couldn't and didn't buy the "true love" story.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 5

Also, had it already been confirmed that Scott was the one murdered? I know many speculated about it likely being him but can't remember if we'd gotten any confirmation on the show, at some point in the season, that he's the one who was murdered. 

Yeah I kind of had that thought with what clearly seems to be hints that Cole is spiraling - that in the end it'll be him who killed Scott. And that's when I'll quit that show because that will feel a little too much like the old soap opera trope - assassinate the character of another character to make viewers root for the pairing. Not happening. Cole can be as crazy as possible and I'll STILL hate Noah and think he's a selfish asshole. 

• Love 2

Word. I'm not buying into the character assassination of Cole either. Alison was the one who cheated, walked out on him, didn't even have the common decency to at least reply to any of his emails/voicemails/ect, and only gave him an explanation when she moseyed on back to the house months later and unintentionally ran into him.

God, ANY guy would go crazy married to her miserable ass.

Another much longer promo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxC0wZIhZak&feature=youtu.be

Looking at this promo, I'm guessing the flashbacks this time will be in that period right after Cole pulled the gun on Noah and all that drama went down. It would explain Alison's saying she doesn't really Noah that well yet (and yet she claimed she loved him and this great love was enough for him to wreck his family and walk away from his wife and four kids) and Cole still asking her if she would never come home. But it looks like there will be more back and forth between the past and present time with Noah's being arrested and apparently convicted. 

Noah's being arrested and apparently convicted

I didn't see anything in that promo that showed a conviction.

They showed Noah being arrested (from last season) and Noah being arraigned/charged in court and his bail being set.

An arraignment is not a conviction

Forgive me if this is the wrong thread for this question, but has there been any information from the show-runners whether the murder plot is getting resolved this season? Or at least Noah's trial? I'm just tired of it being dragged out and want it to be over.

• Love 1

Here is an interview from today's NY Post with Julia Goldani Telles: http://nypost.com/2015/12/04/meet-the-affairs-demon-daughter/

One comment is a little bit spoilery:

Telles promises that, by the end of the season (Dec. 20), we will find out the name of his killer. “Somebody’s going to be found guilty” is all she’ll say.

I want to be careful about picking apart her choice of words but "we will find out the name of his killer" and "somebody’s going to be found guilty” aren't necessarily the same thing. 

Find out name of killer = is the killer revealed only to the audience?

Found guilty = do we see Noah's trial and is he found guilty?

Edited by Ellaria Sand

First official trailer for the new season. I know it's technically media since it's out there but I think it's pretty spoilery and I know how sensitive some are to spoilers. 

So as predicted, it's clear Cole's being Joanie's real father gets completely revealed and put out into the open. It also looks like the show will once again be doing quite a bit of time jumping, based on Noah's saying he spent three years in jail. It also seems that in typical Alison fashion, she ran away and might have left Joanie behind when doing so, based on Luisa's being upset that she's back.

It also looks like poor Helen is still hung up on Noah and probably saw his taking the fall for her as a sign of his still being in love with her too. And Noah wants to chase Alison to Montauk where Cole wants him dead, understandably since he already hated him for sleeping with his wife when they were still married but now he also thinks Noah killed his brother. 

• Love 2

I know common sentiment here is Alison's a whore and Helen's a saint.  But after finally beginning to like Helen, I have to dislike her for letting Noah serve three years for her crime.*  It's indefensible for me.  They should have made the killer Whitney, or given Helen cancer or some other health issue.   Something to truly compel Noah. 

*Three years for what they claimed was a deliberate killing?  I could see Helen's true story getting that term - although wasn't she impaired?  But with Noah as the perp, they have his hatred of Scotty and prior assault. 

• Love 3
On October 15, 2016 at 7:26 PM, RedheadZombie said:

I know common sentiment here is Alison's a whore and Helen's a saint.  But after finally beginning to like Helen, I have to dislike her for letting Noah serve three years for her crime.*  It's indefensible for me.  They should have made the killer Whitney, or given Helen cancer or some other health issue.   Something to truly compel Noah. 

I detest Helen for that as well; she came from a wealthy family, her dad had connections.  She could have gotten a light sentence, if any.    

The issue for me with this whole shit is, it really was an ACCIDENT, not a fucking murder.  That asshole detective just wanted to make a name for himself.

• Love 3

The issue for me with this whole shit is, it really was an ACCIDENT, not a fucking murder.  That asshole detective just wanted to make a name for himself.

It may have been an accident, but the crime (among many involved) came with the cover-up. Once that happened, they were setting themselves up for a big fall.

• Love 1

So in the previews there are scenes with Noah and Allison and Noah has a bandage on his neck.

So, not dead?  That blood was GUSHING.  Unless whoever slashed him also called 911 immediately, I don't know how he survived that.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Bama said:

So in the previews there are scenes with Noah and Allison and Noah has a bandage on his neck.

So, not dead?  That blood was GUSHING.  Unless whoever slashed him also called 911 immediately, I don't know how he survived that.

I'm shocked because I thought the whole attack was a PTSD flashback from whatever the prison guard did to him.  It took me seeing the preview for next week to realize it actually happened.  I guess this is their way of maintaining a mystery this season.

• Love 1

Can someone link me to the preview? Because the only one I'm seeing online shows Helen talking to Noah in jail and a scene of her telling Whitney there are things that happened that night that she doesn't know about and there's also the scene with Alison and Cole and Alison, Cole and Luisa. I saw two clips and one, showed Noah asking Helen to see the children while in jail and the second was Alison picking up her mail, where it looks like she was writing to Noah but he sent all the letters back (or I guess he wasn't getting them. Maybe that's another way he was being tortured in jail. How very The Notebook).

Episode descriptions for S04E09 and S04E10:

E09: Ben finally confesses the truth to Alison.

E10: In the Season 4 finale, Noah and Anton visit Yale, where Noah encounters an old friend. Meanwhile, an immensely difficult day forces Cole and Luisa to reexamine their relationship; and Helen gets a new perspective on life.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, LilaFowler said:

E10: In the Season 4 finale, Noah and Anton visit Yale, where Noah encounters an old friend.

LOL who? Madame Fraaaanch? Furkat? 

• Love 1