Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E05: About A Boy

Athena
  • Start Topic

This was a good episode. After being creeped out last week, I mostly enjoyed Carrie and Aayan's relationship this week. I still feel icky about parts of their dynamic, but I liked seeing them connect on a real level. 

Still, I loved Quinn's line about a Carrie fucking a child. I had flashbacks to him hearing Carrie and Brody fuck and his AMAZING reactions.

I don't know what happened, but I no longer see any romantic chemistry between Carrie and Quinn :( I think their dynamic worked better when there was more antagonism between them. Now, Quinn feels more like a lap dog. Hopefully, their spark comes back before their inevitable hook up.

I'm normally wary of new characters, but I think Aayan, the ambassador, and the ambassador's husband have been wonderful and interesting so far. Sad to say, I would rather concentrate on them than Fara--sorry, her character and acting are lacking.

Edited by Hava

I wanted to add that I think the show did something interesting--it managed to make me see the Carrie/Ayan thing in a different light. During the sex scene, it was Carrie who seemed vulnerable and it reminded me that she is almost using her body for secrets.

Edited by Hava
  • Love 3

Nooooo! Saul!

Carrie wasn't bedding Ayan the entire time - not sure why she couldn't have checked voicemail. Don't they have a super-secret emergency method of communicating for emergencies?

@Izabella, Saul was following the guy who seems to have set up Sandy's death and threatened Ayan. He was described as an ISI thug.

I'm enjoying this season.

• Love 1

OK Carrie's magical pussy got Aayan to admit the uncle isn't dead.  

In the mean time she was MIA when they needed to trail the sheik, who was taking an abducted Saul into noman's land.

Bravo.

And speaking of outlandish plots, if the ISI really abducted a former CIA director like that, the CIA wouldn't be running clandestine operations in Pakistan.  Drones would be filling the skies and raining down bombs.  The ISI may be in league with the Islamists but they wouldn't overtly take such hostile actions against the US.

But you have to remember this is the show that had some top level Iranian intelligence official sneak into the US, kill people and then be sent back by the CIA to spy for it.

• Love 2

Okay, I will admit that I don't know the exact CIA protocol for a station chief to turn someone into an asset, but why isn't she allowed to answer her phone at all? I mean, if she doesn't want Aayan to overhear her, can't she just wait until he's in the bathroom or asleep to check her messages and text a quick reply?

Redmond was kind of amusing this week. "I'm a spy. I know shit." HA!

Did Dennis break into Carrie's apartment because the ISI lady told him to? Or was that his own little plan? I must have missed the explanation for that.

Saaaaaaaul!

• Love 1

Did Dennis break into Carrie's apartment because the ISI lady told him to? Or was that his own little plan?

We saw the ISI lady give Boyd a key at the end of the previous episode. We didnt know what the key opened until tonight, though.

Edited by Babalu

Saul was the director of the CIA, has been on television and is also Jewish to boot. And he thinks he's discreetly following an ISI hitman through the airport?

Speaking of the ISI, how do we know they're real villains? It's not the manipulations or kidnappings or etc. It's that they smoke in the office.

I thought Carrie was going to flip Ayan right after sleeping with him. Or after he confessed about his uncle. "Guess what kid, you work for the CIA now!" I guess the soft approach is working better for now but at some point she's going to have to flip the script and the longer she keeps this pretense up the more awkward it's going to be.

The ambassador's husband took a picture of Carrie's meds but I'm pretty sure that ship sailed when she testified on national television and then the CIA sold her down the river by noting just how crazy she actually was. I am pretty sure they never followed up with a "just kidding, we were trying to recruit someone in Iran and we needed our target to believe it."

If we're in for more domestic fun with Carrie and Ayan I really want her to ask him what his favorite kind of tea is.

• Love 5
We saw the ISI lady give Boyd a key at the end of the previous episode. We didnt know what the key opened until tonight, though.

Thanks! I either completely forgot or wasn't paying enough attention last week. Maybe they want to know which medications Carrie is taking so they can swap them out?

• Love 1

I don't think they told him to look for her meds. I think they told him to look for anything they can use on her, and he found the meds just like he found proof she has a child. 

Because of the way Saul and Quinn left things they don't realize he's missing yet. That's why the shit hasn't hit the fan yet, but it will next week by the looks of things....

I was glad to see the scene with Carrie looking distraught during sex b/c up until that point she seemed to be enjoying it too much.  And as much as I love Quinn, I think Carrie did choose the right approach.  He's a teen boy...nothng will turn him faster than sex.

• Love 1

OK, this episode didn't bother me as much as last week's (I mean, I'm even participating in discussion, something I couldn't do with last week's episode).

I think the show handled the Carrie-Aayan scenes well. I'm wondering, though, how she's going to fill him in on the CIA bit because as she said, she can only do the "I'm a journalist out of London" bit for so long.

I let out an audible gasp when the border guard opened the trunk to reveal a captive Saul. Fara was so close! But alas heightened tension rules the day.

• Love 3

I wonder how many dots Redmond is connecting. When they're in the bar, the Ambassador's husband says he's in big trouble, beyond just marital trouble (or words to that effect). Tasneem stops by to say hello before joining someone else at the bar. Redmond says Tasneem is ISI, and, as he said, she's likely working someone right then given that she's ISI and an Islamic woman in a bar in an American hotel. The bar is not exactly crowded at the time. I'm not sure if anyone was there other than Redmond, the Ambassador's husband, Tasneem, the person she was meeting at the bar and the bartender. Also, right after Redmond mentioned that, the Ambassador's husband didn't want to talk about his troubles any more.

Saul!  I was worried something bad was going to happen at that airport.  Who was that guy he was spying on?

Saul was following the guy who seems to have set up Sandy's death and threatened Ayan. He was described as an ISI thug.

The thug's name is Farhad Ghazi, though according to Redmond, Ghazi isn't official ISI, just someone they use. It makes me wonder why the ISI hasn't taken him out yet. Apparently, it made Saul wonder too, since Ghazi went into the bathroom, then those 2 men went into the bathroom and then quickly left, prompting Saul to enter the bathroom. 

Okay, I will admit that I don't know the exact CIA protocol for a station chief to turn someone into an asset, but why isn't she allowed to answer her phone at all? I mean, if she doesn't want Aayan to overhear her, can't she just wait until he's in the bathroom or asleep to check her messages and text a quick reply?

She's allegedly a journalist, which I find rather ludicrous given what she's promised Aayan. That said, it wouldn't be odd for a journalist to check her phone from time to time. After all, when Aayan asked who stopped by, Carrie said it was one of her stringers.

Edited by Constantinople
  • Love 4

The whole Carrie can't ever pick up here phone thing is absolutely redonkulous.  She could easily tell Aayan that she is following up on the red tape to get him out of dodge.  She's the lady in charge and no one at the CIA is wondering why she is suddenly missing as well?  Bull to the shit.  That's just bad writing.  I am no writer and I could think of a million different ways to do that storyline that actually might have a smidge of plausibility.  Boo.  

And Carrie and Aayan....damn...I guess she does have a magic snatch.  It makes no sense for him to suddenly feel the "need to be honest" just because she was all Crying McCryerson in bed.  He has a piece of leverage and it makes no sense for him to use it right now.  Whatevs.  

Quinn's unintended dry sense of humor is basically one of the only reasons I watch this show.  His "and I didn't even have to shoot anyone" to Fara and then the "fucking a child" comment to Carrie.  Oh Quinn.  Love him.  

Saul.  While I don't want anything to happen to him and I doubt anything will, I kinda like that he is the one who is in the line of fire since we've seen for seasons now him being willing to put his agents and assets into incredibly dangerous situations.  It's his turn now.  I have no doubt though that Quinn will end up saving him and probably the day. 

I do wonder how much Fara will end up having to compromise herself throughout this season and what she is willing to do in the name of the job and the US of A.  

So, the Ambassador's husband is getting dirt on Carrie?  So he goes into her apartment and takes pictures of things that anyone could find out by googling?  Okay then.  That seems chuck full of stupid and pointless.  

All in all...other than Quinn and all things Quinn related, totally not feeling this season.  

• Love 1

And Carrie and Aayan....damn...I guess she does have a magic snatch.  It makes no sense for him to suddenly feel the "need to be honest" just because she was all Crying McCryerson in bed.  He has a piece of leverage and it makes no sense for him to use it right now.  Whatevs.  

He's also a young adult (if he's in medical school, I would put him at the youngest 22/23) who was a virgin until 48 hours before. That plus his views on being devout (though he still did allow hormones to get him to have sex a second time) probably play a huge role in his willingness to be forthright. Carrie is being nice to him (because she wants info, no doubt, but she's not being overly pushy in a way that) and that carries a lot of weight, particularly because Aayan is still so vulnerable. 

• Love 2

And speaking of outlandish plots, if the ISI really abducted a former CIA director like that, the CIA wouldn't be running clandestine operations in Pakistan.  Drones would be filling the skies and raining down bombs.  The ISI may be in league with the Islamists but they wouldn't overtly take such hostile actions against the US.

But you have to remember this is the show that had some top level Iranian intelligence official sneak into the US, kill people and then be sent back by the CIA to spy for it.

The whole time Saul was following that dude in the airport, I was thinking - he's a serious ISI asset, you think he doesn't know who you are?! Hey, the former CIA director is following me in the airport. Cool. I did not expect them to kidnap Saul but couldn't believe he was being so dumb.

• Love 4

He's also a young adult (if he's in medical school, I would put him at the youngest 22/23) who was a virgin until 48 hours before. That plus his views on being devout (though he still did allow hormones to get him to have sex a second time) probably play a huge role in his willingness to be forthright. Carrie is being nice to him (because she wants info, no doubt, but she's not being overly pushy in a way that) and that carries a lot of weight, particularly because Aayan is still so vulnerable. 

I'm still not sure of his age.  I did a cursory search on Google, and it sounds like med school in Pakistan is something you go into after high school since they look at your high school performance as entrance criteria.  And then it's a 5 year program.  So this kid could be 18, or even 17, if it's his first year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_medical_schools_in_Pakistan

Edited by izabella

I'm still not sure of his age.  I did a cursory search on Google, and it sounds like med school in Pakistan is something you go into after high school since they look at your high school performance as entrance criteria.  And then it's a 5 year program.  So this kid could be 18, or even 17, if it's his first year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_medical_schools_in_Pakistan

Oh, you know, I didn't even think about the difference in how medical school is classified in the U.S. versus how it may work in Pakistan. Aayan could very well be as young as 18. (I really don't want to think of him as a 17 year old.)

Edited by Mozelle

Quinn's unintended dry sense of humor is basically one of the only reasons I watch this show.  His "and I didn't even have to shoot anyone" to Fara and then the "fucking a child" comment to Carrie.  Oh Quinn.  Love him.  

I had to watch this entire episode literally through my fingers instead of just the last 5 minutes of last week. I didn't see any redeeming of Carrie at all - mostly because i couldn't get past the fact that Aayan looks like he's 15 (altho prob 18). I don't know that i would have had a problem with Carrie selling herself for an asset or a lead (since it's so in character), but because this boy is so *young* it completely creeps me out.

blech.

SAVE SAUL

Not only is she CIA pretending to be a journalist, she's the one who ordered the drone hit which killed his family.

Yeah Aayan is really going to be on board when he finds out the truth.

Carrie is going to have to use the stick approach sooner or later, like how she took a hard line with Brody, getting him to confess, telling him he's a traitor.

Then went back to fucking him.

• Love 1

In S1 or S2, Carrie was seen talking to a woman whom she was managing as a honeypot for some Middle East targets.

So all of a sudden she decides to be hands-on?  Maybe because she couldn't get enough of Brody, she decides why let others have all the fun?

• Love 1

And speaking of outlandish plots, if the ISI really abducted a former CIA director like that, the CIA wouldn't be running clandestine operations in Pakistan.  Drones would be filling the skies and raining down bombs.  The ISI may be in league with the Islamists but they wouldn't overtly take such hostile actions against the US.

Yep.  And that is why I think the mysterious woman from the bar who is blackmailing Dennis -- although technically working for the ISI -- is actually a Taliban/Al-Qaeda sympathizer and double agent who is working outside her ISI superiors' knowledge.  The young guy from the ISI who met with Saul and reported to the woman does not seem to be in on it.  When he reported to the woman (in the ISI headquarters) that Saul was leaving the country, the woman said "good riddance," and that was the end of it.  Then, next thing you know, she is secretly arranging to have Saul kidnapped.  I think that is the big twist in the story line this season.  The Taliban/Al-Qaeda is using their mole in the ISI (the woman) in an attempt to destroy the cooperation between the USA and Pakistan in their fight against the extremists.  That was also the reason for tricking in the US into bombing the wedding - to drive a wedge between the US and Pakistan.  I expect the kidnapping of Saul will likewise be blamed on the ISI (or at least the mysterious woman will do everything she can to make it look like the ISI did it) to further upset US-Pakistan relations and cooperation in fighting against the Taliban/Al-Qaeda.  Aayan will probably end up being the key for Carrie, Quinn and Farrah to figure out what is really going on.

Edited by Quando
  • Love 7

Carrie intended to have Fara recruit/seduce Aayan, but he reacted like he was being zapped with a cattle prod everytime Fara touched him. I'm a bit unclear as to who knows about the uncle connection at this point -- so she likely believed her choices were pretty much limited to herself and Fara.

[Edited for clarity]

Edited by RandomX
  • Love 1

Carrie is going to have to use the stick approach sooner or later, like how she took a hard line with Brody, getting him to confess, telling him he's a traitor.

Then went back to fucking him.

So your saying having sex with Carrie is the carrot?

Given how nutty she is, I thought it was the stick.

• Love 2

Yep.  And that is why I think the mysterious woman from the bar who is blackmailing Dennis -- although technically working for the ISI -- is actually a Taliban/Al-Qaeda sympathizer and double agent who is working outside her ISI superiors' knowledge.  The young guy from the ISI who met with Saul and reported to the woman does not seem to be in on it.  When he reported to the woman (in the ISI headquarters) that Saul was leaving the country, the woman said "good riddance," and that was the end of it.  Then, next thing you know, she is secretly arranging to have Saul kidnapped.  I think that is the big twist in the story line this season.  The Taliban/Al-Qaeda is using their mole in the ISI (the woman) in an attempt to destroy the cooperation between the USA and Pakistan in their fight against the extremists.  That was also the reason for tricking in the US into bombing the wedding - to drive a wedge between the US and Pakistan.  I expect the kidnapping of Saul will likewise be blamed on the ISI (or at least the mysterious woman will do everything she can to make it look like the ISI did it) to further upset US-Pakistan relations and cooperation in fighting against the Taliban/Al-Qaeda.  Aayan will probably end up being the key for Carrie, Quinn and Farrah to figure out what is really going on.

This is not a bad theory, especially because it is my understanding that, in real life, one of the concerns about the ISI is how close they are to the Taliban, etc. Though, I also think that, in real life, the ISI superiors are pretty much aware of how close their operatives can be with the Taliban. 

• Love 1

I could really do without the Carrie/Aayan sex thing, gotta be honest. Quinn totally nailed it.

Did the ambassador's husband seriously take that photo out of the bowl, photograph it, and then not put it back?

Saul is the worst person at following people ever (although I appreciate he was being set up).

• Love 1

I wonder how many dots Redmond is connecting. 

I was wondering if he called Tasneem. It's more interesting if he's not compromised, but it seems possible. I suspect that even if he's not a double agent, if he figures out Carrie is the target of an ISI op to discredit her specifically, he won't be in a hurry to put the pieces together, officially speaking.

Edited by Latverian Diplomat
  • Love 2

The Saul going into that bathroom after mere minutes of seeing Ghazi enter was a rookie mistake and just didn't ring true to his experience level. But the Carrie/Aayan bonding? Perfect for her. She hits the trifecta: gets sex she's been wanting since she got to Pakistan, gets the info out of the "boy" as Saul called him and finally opens up a bit as Quinn suggests she should. But opening up to anyone who could actually call her on her shit? No good for Carrie. Aayan has no reason to judge her, so that works just fine for her. http://tvruckus.com/2014/10/27/homeland-recap-is-she-still-with-the-boy-yup/

• Love 2

Ok...so this might not be a popular post and hey, that is ok...but I cannot deal with Carrie and her crazy....I like Saul and Quinn a lot....but I cannot take her character anymore....I might be in the minority but I do not think I am alone....

• Love 3

I was wondering if he called Tasneem. It's more interesting if he's not compromised, but it seems possible. I suspect that even if he's not a double agent, if he figures out Carrie is the target of an ISI op to discredit her specifically, he won't be in a hurry to put the pieces together, officially speaking.

He was about to get Dennis to tell him what was up, and Tasneem interrupted, spooking Dennis, so I don't think it was Redmond's idea.

When Carrie offered to go get post-coital pastries and coffee, I immediately flashed back to when she went on a pastry run right after getting it on with Brody at the cabin.  She only seems to know how to play on one track.  How does she recruit female assets?

• Love 1

I don't think they told him to look for her meds. I think they told him to look for anything they can use on her, and he found the meds just like he found proof she has a child....

So it turns out that it's a good thing for "the mission" that Carrie likely can't be manipulated by little Franny being in peril. But what about Saul? I won't be surprised if Carrie sacrifices him either.

Not sure if I'm going to keep watching. Recaps may be sufficient.

When the ambassador's hubby--while sort of curled up in a fetal position--heard her refer to him as having fallen from dashing charmer to being a "loser," I immediately thought of sociology stats on old white men having the highest rate of suicide--presumably because they were always had the highest place in society and never developed the psychological tools to cope with jabs to their egos. Then the next scene was Fara telling Quinn she didn't want to go on a suicide mission.

It seemed kind of a cop out that Quinn couldn't plant the tracker on the car because he's white. Shouldn't he have grown a beard by now and be sporting a tan?

I liked this episode because it gave me lots of spycraft.

Seeing as how Saul got Dextered in the neck, I wonder if the trunk-transport is to take him to a kill room where he'll be stripped, saran-wrapped, and stabbed. And then chopped up, put into garbage bags, and thrown into Bay Harbor.

• Love 1

The interaction between the "spy, who knows shit"  and the Ambassador about her husband was confusing. Are we assume that both she and the CIA are entirely aware of his treason and are deliberately stringing him along for counterintelligence purposes? Or was this merely a suggestion of some nebulous suspicion and acknowledgement of a "wait and watch" stance? Either way, shouldn't Carrie have been informed by someone? Also, didn't the Ambassador's conversation with Dennis and her cross examining of him betray too much information to him? Didn't she all but tell him "I know you're up to no good, and we're way beyond plagiarism?" If you're running a counterintelligence op, it would seem you wouldn't want to spook your asset. But spooked he was, though but he still spied on Carrie's place, so mission OK? 

The interaction between the "spy, who knows shit"  and the Ambassador about her husband was confusing. Are we assume that both she and the CIA are entirely aware of his treason and are deliberately stringing him along for counterintelligence purposes? Or was this merely a suggestion of some nebulous suspicion and acknowledgement of a "wait and watch" stance? Either way, shouldn't Carrie have been informed by someone? Also, didn't the Ambassador's conversation with Dennis and her cross examining of him betray too much information to him? Didn't she all but tell him "I know you're up to no good, and we're way beyond plagiarism?" If you're running a counterintelligence op, it would seem you wouldn't want to spook your asset. But spooked he was, though but he still spied on Carrie's place, so mission OK? 

Neither, IMO. We are to assume that Ambassador Boyd thinks her husband is a drunken, plagiaristic loser and that John Redmond is also aware that he is a drunken idiot.  Redmond may suspect more is up based on their conversation at the bar, but there's no indication that Ambassador Boyd is aware of her husband's activities passing along information.

• Love 5

Ether way, shouldn't Carrie have been informed by someone?

If she were around the office, she probably would have observed something, especially if Quinn were involved. Or Quinn would have briefed her. But she's off on her recruiting mission.

Saul!  I was worried something bad was going to happen at that airport.  Who was that guy he was spying on?

Did Saul really think that he could spy on someone else and go unnoticed by them? After all those years of spying?

Edited by Lemons

Is there anyway the CIA could trade Carrie to the ISI for Tasneem? She seems more competent

I'm finding the Pakistani intelligence side of things really fascinating. Especially Tasneem. I think it was a good move by the show to have parallel intelligence services, and parallel protagonists, this season. It's like, the ISI are the enemy, but they also seem to be competent so far, so who do I root for? I'll bet the writers didn't count on that reaction though.

When Carrie first blackmailed her way into the head spy position in Pakistan, I thought she was probably the best person for the job because she was likely the most knowledgable and most passionate about the work. After this week's episode with all the disconnects of info--both with her team and with the official office--I'm left thinking instead: Well, that's what you get* when you let someone blackmail her way into such a key position.

*Kidnapped Saul and blackmailed amateur spy hubby-of-ambassador

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1

I'm finding the Pakistani intelligence side of things really fascinating. Especially Tasneem. I think it was a good move by the show to have parallel intelligence services, and parallel protagonists, this season. It's like, the ISI are the enemy, but they also seem to be competent so far, so who do I root for? I'll bet the writers didn't count on that reaction though.

This may account for my odd lack of involvement in the episode. I saw events that should make me care, yet I felt unengaged. Maybe that's because, as you say, the strong rooting interest is evaporating. I'll tell you the one thing that got me involved, though--the Quandary of the Ambassador's Husband. I've never been an ambassador's husband who betrayed his country, but I really felt that sense of "rock and hard place" whenever Mark Moses was on the screen. I think a lot of that is because Moses is just so good.

Speaking of that character, I need a refresher. I know he stole the ambassador's secrets, but that connects to Sandy--how? Was it that those secrets were what Sandy used to barter for good bombing intel? If Fasneem knew about this (which she did--it's how she's blackmailing him), she must in league with whoever gave Sandy the bombing intel. Or the ISI itself is who gave Sandy the bombing intel, either because they wanted the targets bombed without being the ones to do it, or they sacrificed the targets in order to gain an upper hand on the CIA. Also--is it plausible that an ambassador would know secrets that a CIA station chief wouldn't? I'd expect it to be more the other way around.

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Love 2

Speaking of that character, I need a refresher. I know he stole the ambassador's secrets, but that connects to Sandy--how? Was it that those secrets were what Sandy used to barter for good bombing intel?

I believe that's the operating assumption, at least until we know more.

Of course, that raises the question why the Ambassador's husband worked with Sandy.

Perhaps there's a standard playbook for the station chief in Islamabad

• Is the source being recruited afiliated with a college of university (Y/N)?

• If yes, has the source engaged in some kind of misconduct (criminal or academic) that resulted in the source being expelled/dismissed from that college/university (Y/N)?

• If yes, is the source local or American?

a. if local, promise source he'll be admitted to, or hired by, an equivalent academic institution in England. Actually get source season pass to Disneyland Paris.  Afterwards, tell him he's just been schooled.

b. ​if American, promise source he'll be re-admitted/re-hired by his previous college/university, but instead, under an assumed name, write the source a character reference for on-line university.

Also--it is it plausible that an ambassador would know secrets that a CIA station chief wouldn't? I'd expect it to be more the other way around.

That's what I would think, but in the previous episode thread, WearyTraveler stated that the ambassador might have access to information from other US intelligence agencies, such as the NSA, that the station chief wouldn't.

Edited by Constantinople
  • Love 3

Agree with Milburn Stone that Mark Moses is doing a great job of wearing his ambivalence and despair.  

Also, Michael O'Keefe has risen to the level of the writing for his character: first, the seemingly burned-out (but even more, acting-out) guy who got passed over, modulating to the chastened professional who knows he transgressed and has to make peace with the situation.  Is even a little bit newly engaged by the new internal atmosphere and purpose ushered in by the change in command from Sandy to Carrie.  

Sandy, who seems to have spent his days pursuing his own agenda and little time interacting with his team; Carrie, who -- well. Came on like a boss in the first team meeting, and at least interacted with Redmond, but then disappeared down her own rabbit-hole.   When Martha came looking for Quinn to wrangle her husband, Redmond might as well have said, "Mommy and Daddy aren't home.  No, that's okay -- it's okay!  I can help!  I know where they keep everything!"

• Love 1

Also, Michael O'Keefe has risen to the level of the writing for his character: first, the seemingly burned-out (but even more, acting-out) guy who got passed over, modulating to the chastened professional who knows he transgressed and has to make peace with the situation.  Is even a little bit newly engaged by the new internal atmosphere and purpose ushered in by the change in command from Sandy to Carrie. 

Ha - I've convinced myself he took one look at Carrie and decided she'd implode all on her own sooner or later, probably sooner, and he'd have that station chief job yet.

• Love 4

Quinn's unintended dry sense of humor is basically one of the only reasons I watch this show. His "and I didn't even have to shoot anyone" to Fara and then the "fucking a child" comment to Carrie. Oh Quinn. Love him.

Fara and Quinn have developed a nice, chummy rapport. You think...?

I would root for them. Fara is a relatively decent person, I can see Quinn's jaded ass pining for that decency. And Fara is becoming kind of badass, without losing her decency. ( Her seduction didn't work because she totally physically telegraphed what a dick move she thought it was. )

Carrie, on the other hand... Her "vulnerability" and note perfect, well timed confessions all strike me as part of the game. Just like that wrestling match in the bathroom and her sudden, physically intimate "shh! They're coming!" Routine was part of the game-- heightening the emotions and creating an excuse for physical contact. And that corny bed making scene-- part of me was rolling my eyes, part of me was," Damn, she has a knack for this shit."

Yeah, so I'm wondering if the whole " Quinn has feely feelings for Carrie" is a set up for him finally concluding that she is an asshole. But whoever said it up there, I agree-- Quinn's primary function right now seems to be as Carrie's Jiminy Cricket.

(also-- Quinn pretty much had me at "a Stage 5 Delusional Getting Laid."

Edited by bunnywithanaxe
  • Love 4

Okay, so I didn't realize Ayan was supposed to be quite as young as he apparently is.  I actually didn't realize the actor is only 21 and thought he could be anywhere from 22-25.  It wasn't until he was peeking under the sheet that it started to dawn on me "Oh hell, he's supposed to be a teenager, isn't he?"  It was fairly obvious that they would go down this route from that encounter in the bathroom, and I think Carrie's less than delighted to be playing  this one this way.  The tears in bed seemed sort of genuine, as did that look in the mirror, but it also explains why he was so easy to play. 

I've been enjoying the season so far, but I do wish that the way they captured Saul hadn't made him look like such a rookie fool.  

. I've never been an ambassador's husband who betrayed his country, but I really felt that sense of "rock and hard place" whenever Mark Moses was on the screen. I think a lot of that is because Moses is just so good.

The saddest thing in that entire scene is that when he overhears his wife talking about fearing that he's a loser, it doesn't hurt his feelings so much that he has to act.  It's that if he doesn't do what he's being pressured to do, then he takes down his wife's career as well as being accused of treason.  He takes the pictures of Carrie's apartment, in part, to spare her from finding out how right she is and paying for having loved him to such a degree.  

It was truly kind of heart-breaking.  He was so screwed , through his own actions, of course, but still, just hearing her say that after she apparently stayed with him through a plagiarism scandal it seemed as if he didn't want to make her pay more for being right.  That's what I got out of it.  Not that he went into Carrie's apartment in a fit of "I'll show her!"  but because who knows what they'd do to him for treason (something horrible, I'm assuming) and also that he'd just entirely ruin her in the process.  

Michael O'Keefe's character is interesting.  I'm hoping he'll turn out to be competent and less than vindictive.   

• Love 2
On ‎30‎.‎10‎.‎2014 at 5:37 PM, bunnywithanaxe said:

Carrie, on the other hand... Her "vulnerability" and note perfect, well timed confessions all strike me as part of the game. 

Carrie did a good job in S2 when she in turning Brody used matters that were emotionally true ("If I were honest, I would like you to leave your wife") and could influence on him. But then she was single and couldn't endanger anyone bit herself.

But now when she has a daughter, it's really stupid to tell a nephew of a terrorist her name. As far as know, even ordinary cops have learned not to reveal any information about their families, f.ex. not use photographs about them on the worktable. 

On ‎7‎.‎11‎.‎2014 at 12:56 AM, stillshimpy said:

Okay, so I didn't realize Ayan was supposed to be quite as young as he apparently is.  I actually didn't realize the actor is only 21 and thought he could be anywhere from 22-25.  It wasn't until he was peeking under the sheet that it started to dawn on me "Oh hell, he's supposed to be a teenager, isn't he?"  It was fairly obvious that they would go down this route from that encounter in the bathroom, and I think Carrie's less than delighted to be playing  this one this way.  The tears in bed seemed sort of genuine, as did that look in the mirror, but it also explains why he was so easy to play. 

I don't think Ayan can be a teenager as he is studying medicine. He was just a virgin who had sex the first time.

I don't know the US or Pakistani law, but here it's a crime to have sex with a child under 16 years (although two teenagers are allowed have sex with another), or a child under 18 years for a teacher or a couch because that is seen using a position of trust. As Ayan couldn't be under 16, Quinn's reprimand to Carrie about "f-ing a child" was a hyberbole.