Type keyword(s) to search

Below Deck in the Media

bref
  • Start Topic

I'm really mixed up about this Dean Slover business. Did someone actually file a false bankruptcy case just to prop up a false reality show story? If so, is it that easy to do? We're nearly at the end of the world, aren't we. Time to turn it over to the apes.

• Love 2
50 minutes ago, Locutus said:

I'm really mixed up about this Dean Slover business. Did someone actually file a false bankruptcy case just to prop up a false reality show story? If so, is it that easy to do? We're nearly at the end of the world, aren't we. Time to turn it over to the apes.

Wasn't the Dean stuff just a blind item? I would imagine that like many blind items they built it off a nugget of info, the Captain filing for bankruptcy and worked backwards from there and then it was revealed that it was a fake filing. A judge threw out most of the case and they are investigating the two men who filed it with a fake social and forged signature.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, biakbiak said:

The dress and the way she is sitting makes her look pregnant. Nico looks better with the beard.

I'd take Nico any way I can get him! 

Glad Sierra? Sienna? is gone! 

Edited by chenoa333
  • Love 1
On 8/24/2017 at 1:17 AM, Locutus said:

I hope neither Kate nor Captain Lee invested money.  I read that Captain Lee refuted the idea that he had inveested in Dean Slover's business but that could be just for show.   

Appreciated the call-out on WWHL with Captain Lee the other night, when he noted the incredible level of damage in the very places this ship has sailed over the last few seasons.  I have to wonder if they will be able to do anything with this series after Irma and Maria pretty much leveled everything.  Didn't hear how the ship itself survived either.

Also appreciated the black screen prior to this week's episode, noting that this ep took place off of St. Thomas (I think it was), which sustained so much damaged.

Nice shout out to help the viewer realize that all the beautiful scenery is now laid to waste.

• Love 5
17 hours ago, b2H said:

Nice shout out to help the viewer realize that all the beautiful scenery is now laid to waste.

If the viewer has never physically been to any of the islands, it's truly impossible to imagine how beautiful it all is/was/will be again.

I've been and *I* can't even imagine what it would be like to see it in person as it is now.  Saw a news clip yesterday of a place in Puerto Rico that we just visited last Christmas.  It was devastated and my heart broke for the people who live there.  I just can't believe it.  The whole island has no electricity and they say it could be months.

• Love 3

One of the guys I work with is Puerto Rician, his parents and his wife's parents were both born there. They've managed to talk to some family members who still live there, but some live in a very small town and they haven't been able to get in touch, to hadn't when I talked to him yesterday. The plan was for some to drive across the island to see if they could make it to those in the smaller town to get an update, but they aren't sure if it's even possible to get to them safely. 

• Love 2
15 hours ago, Fostersmom said:

The plan was for some to drive across the island to see if they could make it to those in the smaller town to get an update, but they aren't sure if it's even possible to get to them safely. 

PR is mountainous with a large rain forest which is misty and wet all the time.  When Maria hit the island, not only did they get hit by the winds and the storm surge at sea level, all the rain caused flooding to come down out of the mountains and forest which made many of the roads, which would ordinarily be too high to be affected by the storm surge, unpassable.  Puerto Rico got hit from above and below.

I hope your workmate is able to contact his family members soon.  Hopefully it's just a  matter of electricity out and cell towers down.

• Love 1
On 9/28/2017 at 6:16 AM, biakbiak said:

I liked Kate's podcast. She and Lee are so cute together. I love that they talk weekly at least during the season. I imagine it's after they have each watched the episode!

Where did you find the podcast? 

I'm almost disappointed that Dean won't be on the show this season because I saved a picture of a towel arrangement that might give everyone a few chuckles (and Kate could add to her arsenal of naughty folds). 

Kate and Lee have genuine affection for each other and it's nice they've kept up their friendship. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

With all the storm damage in the Caribbean, will those islands be able to support yacht charters anymore? 

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/15/world/americas/hurricane-irma-st-martin.ht

When Captain Lee was on WWHL recently he said, "The Caribbean as we knew it is gone." I seem to recall him also making comments on Twitter that the yachting and cruising industry there would definitely be changed for a while. Clearly these islands will try to come back asap as tourism is very important to their economy. I've already seen a lot of ads for discounted Caribbean vacations to areas that weren't hit so hard.

• Love 2
On 9/30/2017 at 8:43 AM, Mindthinkr said:

Where did you find the podcast? 

I'm almost disappointed that Dean won't be on the show this season because I saved a picture of a towel arrangement that might give everyone a few chuckles (and Kate could add to her arsenal of naughty folds). 

Kate and Lee have genuine affection for each other and it's nice they've kept up their friendship. 

Too bad Kate and Captain Lee didn't align age-wise.  I get the impression Captain Lee is very happily married, but he and Kate may have been a good match otherwise!

18 hours ago, RedHawk said:

When Captain Lee was on WWHL recently he said, "The Caribbean as we knew it is gone." I seem to recall him also making comments on Twitter that the yachting and cruising industry there would definitely be changed for a while. Clearly these islands will try to come back asap as tourism is very important to their economy. I've already seen a lot of ads for discounted Caribbean vacations to areas that weren't hit so hard.

There are very few scripted shows I watch but I got sucked into Wrecked.  I just find it funny and light and the cast is excellent.  Anyway, I read an interview by the originators - two brothers.  They said they pitched the idea of the show but had no expectations because even if all else was fine, the cost involved would be high.  They film in Puerto Rico which helped keep costs low.  Cast members have been encouraging donations.

I also heard an interview of some big-dog who worked on recovery issues related to Katrina.  He said the way we handle the finances of these kinds of disasters needs to be revisited.  The one thing places like Puerto Rico and Key West need to do is bring back the businesses to allow people to work and earn a living.  He said the red tape related to insurance or government funds takes forever.  By the time it rolls in, people relocate to where they can find work.  He said these places would probably be be better off if we eliminate the red tape and just write a check at the beginning to allow businesses to get back in action quickly.  That made a ton of sense to me.  My brother lost his house in Atlantic City in Hurrican Sandy in 2012.  They had to rebuild and were only able to get started last year due to timing of payments.  They spent 5 years living with friends and in shabby nearby rentals.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see how Wrecked and Below Deck deal with the situation.

Edited by Jextella
  • Love 1

Bri was on After Deck and boring as hell though I liked that she took EJs side and realized Nico was in the wrong.

Ben was also on and he and Emily aren't dating any more because she is an ambitious London career girl and he is a debauched slut  (he stated the first part and implied the latter).

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, dleighg said:

I'm too old for complicated acronyms. Who is TRav?

Thomas Ravenel, one of the stars of the Bravo show Southern Charm. He is quite colorful, has been a politician and reeks of old money. The bridge into Charleston, SC is named after his family. 

• Love 4
5 hours ago, dleighg said:

I'm too old for complicated acronyms. Who is TRav?

I wish that every stupid acronym out there would be abolished forever. I hate them so much. It seems like nobody spells whole words anymore and it drives me insane. 

• Love 6
1 minute ago, Maharincess said:

I wish that every stupid acronym out there would be abolished forever. I hate them so much. It seems like nobody spells whole words anymore and it drives me insane. 

There's been some good discussions about just that over on the Pet Peeves board. Acronyms, thx instead of thank you, as well as many others that people have strong feelings about. I have to google sometimes just to understand and it can get annoying. 

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

There's been some good discussions about just that over on the Pet Peeves board. Acronyms, thx instead of thank you, as well as many others that people have strong feelings about. I have to google sometimes just to understand and it can get annoying. 

The worst ones in my opinion are the DD,  DH crap. People write DS when  writing the word son is just one more letter. They're getting ridiculous. I just don't see the damn point of them.  

Edited by Maharincess
  • Love 3
Just now, Maharincess said:

The worst ones in my opinion are the DD,  DH crap. People write DS what writing the word son is just one more letter. They're getting ridiculous. I just don't see the damn point of them.  

Lol...I don't even know what they stand for and would have to go over to google! English is our American language. All of these shortcuts and abbreviations are going to ruin it. It's hard enough just keeping up with slang. 

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Mindthinkr said:

Lol...I don't even know what they stand for and would have to go over to google! English is our American language. All of these shortcuts and abbreviations are going to ruin it. It's hard enough just keeping up with slang. 

They mean dear/darling husband/daughter/son.  My husband would have me committed if I called him my darling husband. It's just stupid as hell. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Maharincess said:

They mean dear/darling husband/daughter/son.  My husband would have me committed if I called him my darling husband. It's just stupid as hell. 

The only time I used those was when I was on a fertility message board. I started posting there when trying to conceive my oldest, and they added pregnancy and parenting sections, so I stayed for a few years.  Yes, I'd never actually CALL my husband "dear husband", but the shorthand was nice on a board where we talked A LOT about our kids and husbands. I don't mind abbreviations and acronyms in some context. You can tell when people are legitimately trying to save time and when they have seriously lost all grip on the English language. (If they ever had a grip on it to begin with.)

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Maharincess said:

The advantage of the abbreviation is that the D can stand for something derogatory (e.g. dumbass) and people can figure from the context what you mean, so you don't have to spell it out.

• Love 3

Has anyone seen much about Nico's brother's death? I know that he talked about it somewhat on the show, but, I missed it.  I read today that his brother fell from a balcony. Is that right? Just a horrible, horrible story.  My goodness.....that is a lot to deal with.  

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3943278/Below-Deck-star-Nico-Scholly-s-brother-Tristen-killed-falling-floor-balcony-following-night-drinking.html

Jezebel's DirtCast had a two part interview with Mark Cronin and Lisa Lopez, who are producers of many reality shows, including Below Deck.  The first part has a lot more to do with their early VH1 shows (Surreal Life, Flavor of Love, Rock of Love, etc), but the episode posted 11/21/17 called "Let Me Be Your Rock of Love, Part II" has some discussion of the production of Below Deck, like about how the production is all crammed in one stateroom on the yacht as their control room, production has a second boat where production eats, and how the original idea for the show was to tap into an industry that had not yet been overly spoiled by reality TV.  It's worth a listen and can be found on the usual podcast services (search for DirtCast, all one word).

• Love 3

I just listened to it and it was pretty good. I did like how they explained that yachties were constantly working on ships that they were pretty clueless about the whole reality show thing. Unfortunately, the yachties seem to be a little less clueless now.

Though I think Kyle is really a find. Rabbity Emily came on with a plan, but she's mostly so innocuous that I didn't care. Jenderella also seems like she was hoping the show would increase her social media presence to help her real estate career, but she mucked that up badly.

• Love 1

Not Below Deck per se, but I recall a "Winter Version Below Deck" type show being discussed but can't find any reference to it. (Something along the lines of Timber Creek as I recall). Is this a Bravo show? When? Where? Thanks!

19 minutes ago, dleighg said:

^thanks, but I was actually referring to a new show to come. (I think Apres Ski was just a new name reboot for Timber Creek; i.e. shilling for Gibbons Life/Whistler).

Ah, yes ! I also remember of a "new one", but never heard about it since :/

• Love 1

LOL I was getting my reality tv mixed up. I'm pretty sure I was remembering "Bachelor Winter Games". And I do not recommend googling to find info about it as I got unintentionally spoiled for the Bachelor. Oh well, I usually do and it doesn't really bother me.