Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
auntjess

The First 48

Oh boy. A suspended student kills while out of school. That's just great! Students shouldn't be suspended, they should get detention. MORE school, NOT LESS!! DUH!! & WTF?! He tried to drag an INNOCENT classmate down with him! TRASH!! I'm  surprised it wasn't over drugs. I couldn't make sense of their stories of how it happened, doesn't make the boy any less dead. Shocking one detective thought he didn't do it, didn't they remember the friend saying the guy had short dreads... which he had?!! I wanted to see his location history. That woulda put him at the scene. Guess it's a good thing he was a good shot. He got the guy intended & didn't hit his friends. I doubt either will get life. If so, definitely parole, especially the one that shot in the air. It's bothersome seeing the cops driving without wearing seatbelts! So irresponsible & unfair!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Lindz said:

Oh boy. A suspended student kills while out of school. That's just great! Students shouldn't be suspended, they should get detention. MORE school, NOT LESS!! DUH!! & WTF?! He tried to drag an INNOCENT classmate down with him! TRASH!! I'm  surprised it wasn't over drugs. I couldn't make sense of their stories of how it happened, doesn't make the boy any less dead. Shocking one detective thought he didn't do it, didn't they remember the friend saying the guy had short dreads... which he had?!! I wanted to see his location history. That woulda put him at the scene. Guess it's a good thing he was a good shot. He got the guy intended & didn't hit his friends. I doubt either will get life. If so, definitely parole, especially the one that shot in the air. It's bothersome seeing the cops driving without wearing seatbelts! So irresponsible & unfair!

There were a lot of things disturbing about this case. Kids with guns. Kids getting suspended as you said and not instead being remanded to an alternative school for troubled kids. The 20 year old victim being a violent abuser and robbing people, even though he had an electrician license. Sadly, death or jail was likely going to be his fate anyway, with the way he was living his life. The victim’s ex-girlfriend still loving him with all her heart despite him giving her two black eyes at one point. The detective thinking the one guy was innocent even though there was nothing to prove his story was the truth. The dad of the suspect whose oldest son was due to return from prison within days and now his youngest son was about to go to prison. Him feeling like a failure as a father due his sons’ horrible choices. The youngest son apparently being very smart, smart enough to skip grades and get into a prestigious school but still ending up on the wrong path. SMH. 

This case stirred up a lot of emotions for me, anger, sadness, disappointment etc. There were no winners here. I agree the suspects will likely be out in 20 years since neither had priors. So they’ll still be in their 30s. But any chance they had of reaching their potential will likely be gone. Like the detective said three young lives ruined over nothing. Sad. 

• Like 1

This week’s case with the hit, shoot and run driver was intense. When they were in the standoff at the suspect’s house I thought he was either going to come out of the house with guns blazing or they were going to find him dead inside. 

I was baffled as to why the detectives were treating him with kid gloves when they got him to the station ie asking what he did for a living, repeatedly asking if he was okay with talking them etc. Of course he lawyered up. I don’t know about the detective’s speculation that the suspect might have PTSD. From his non-chalant response to being arrested and the smirk at the press when they asked if the murder was over a hit and run, this guy seems like another POS killing over nothing. The evidence against him doesn’t seem all that strong, no bullet casings in the car, don’t know if they even found the murder weapon. Don’t know if the witness was given the opportunity to positively ID him in a line up, but hopefully the DA will be successful in putting him away. 

• Like 2

I am still amazed how somebody can be so stupid to buy a gun for a boyfriend/felon who can’t buy it legally.

What do you expect the to do?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, El maestro said:

I am still amazed how somebody can be so stupid to buy a gun for a boyfriend/felon who can’t buy it legally.

What do you expect the to do?

Same with accepting a used  cell phone from them, or getting in a car you know they didn’t buy.  

• Like 3

I guessed it was a Corolla from the black FRONT GRILL!! DUHHHHHH!! NONE of them caught that?!! Talk about LUCKY BREAK! That extra footage was EVERYTHING. What SMART person follows someone to a dead end & confronts them?? I mean, really. I think he'll claim self-defense, even though that falls apart when he led them to the dead end & stopped & shot an unarmed man... What a STUPID stand-off!!! It makes NO SENSE to put themselves in danger like that, unless it's an ACTIVE THREAT to life. Cops shouldn't try to apprehend suspects like that, they should wait until they're outside and alone! How useless were those 2 women?? Didn't know if he was there. Didn't have his phone number. USELESS! I hope they tracked his movements to find the gun, let the survivor identify him, & did a GSR test. Crazy how the victim did what the killer did & side-swiped a car! I wouldn't call this Road Rage, it's more like Hit & Run & Follow or Ambush.

Edited by Lindz

On 6/2/2021 at 11:34 AM, Lindz said:

I guessed it was a Corolla from the black FRONT GRILL!! DUHHHHHH!! NONE of them caught that?!! Talk about LUCKY BREAK! That extra footage was EVERYTHING. What SMART person follows someone to a dead end & confronts them?? I mean, really. I think he'll claim self-defense, even though that falls apart when he led them to the dead end & stopped & shot an unarmed man... What a STUPID stand-off!!! It makes NO SENSE to put themselves in danger like that, unless it's an ACTIVE THREAT to life. Cops shouldn't try to apprehend suspects like that, they should wait until they're outside and alone! How useless were those 2 women?? Didn't know if he was there. Didn't have his phone number. USELESS! I hope they tracked his movements to find the gun, let the survivor identify him, & did a GSR test. Crazy how the victim did what the killer did & side-swiped a car! I wouldn't call this Road Rage, it's more like Hit & Run & Follow or Ambush.

I think they were lying. Wasn’t one of them his grandmother? How could she not at least know his phone number? And he was lying about being asleep and not hearing his phone or the calls to come out but conveniently answered his messages when his mom text him. 

Though dangerous I think they do the standoff because they want to apprehend the suspect ASAP. They don’t know what he’ll do next but mainly because they might not have the man power or budget to stakeout the residence until the suspect decides to emerge. 

Regarding the victim I think he was shocked by the side swipe and was purely running on adrenaline when he followed the suspect to the dead end.   It was a very unwise decision that unfortunately cost him his life. 

• Like 1

The suspects in Caught Up episode were idiots. First shooting the guy in the middle of a busy shopping center and then driving away in a Mustang. Even if you know nothing about cars you know what Mustang looks like. It did make it easier for cops having dozens of witnesses to tell them about the shooting and very identifiable car.  Not to mention the shopping center cameras catching the whole thing.

I forget the name of the episode from last week but they were investigating a homeless man murdered by another homeless man. They were interviewing one of the witnesses and her small bag of chips kept moving. While interviewing her its on the table with a cup, when the detective gets up to leave the bag is crushed up and in the cup. When he comes back with pictures of the suspect the bag is back on the table. When he leaves again its back in the cup. 

On 5/28/2021 at 4:24 PM, Enero said:

This week’s case with the hit, shoot and run driver was intense. When they were in the standoff at the suspect’s house I thought he was either going to come out of the house with guns blazing or they were going to find him dead inside. 

I was baffled as to why the detectives were treating him with kid gloves when they got him to the station ie asking what he did for a living, repeatedly asking if he was okay with talking them etc. Of course he lawyered up. I don’t know about the detective’s speculation that the suspect might have PTSD. From his non-chalant response to being arrested and the smirk at the press when they asked if the murder was over a hit and run, this guy seems like another POS killing over nothing. The evidence against him doesn’t seem all that strong, no bullet casings in the car, don’t know if they even found the murder weapon. Don’t know if the witness was given the opportunity to positively ID him in a line up, but hopefully the DA will be successful in putting him away. 

The only explanation I heard for them treating him with kid gloves was that he was an ex marine vet who served 4 yrs in Iraq and they were worried that he had PTSD and that’s why he killed the other guy.

I mean I guess there has to be some reason for him killing someone over a fender bender… maybe active duty and killing people drove him nuts? 🤷‍♀️

On 8/22/2021 at 4:54 AM, Joan of Argh said:

The only explanation I heard for them treating him with kid gloves was that he was an ex marine vet who served 4 yrs in Iraq and they were worried that he had PTSD and that’s why he killed the other guy.

One of the best interview techniques starts off with asking the suspect or person-of-interest a lot of benign questions, eliciting the longest/best answers possible and maybe even kidding around a bit in the room. Get him talking about nothing. Find out what makes him tick, what makes him open up (or close down). Then go for subjects that he's going to always agree with (damn, the Giants really do suck this year, etc). Affirmative answers.

Then get into the meat of things and if you're lucky you might get something usable before he realizes he's just been sold 40 years worth of Florida swamp land. The stereotypical "good cop" role.

• Useful 2

Watched the latest two episodes of The First 48. They’re back with new shows that were filmed last year. The case in Gwinnett County, Georgia, how stupid can you be to call an Uber to take you to the scene where you’re going to commit a murder and after committing the murder you call an Uber to pick you up so that you can flee? On top of that the suspect used his real name for the Uber and had it pick him up from his father’s house! This guy had to be high, utterly stupid or just didn’t care if he got caught. Or perhaps it was all of the above. Glad they caught him but this will definitely go down as one of the dumbest criminal moments I’ve ever seen.

The case from last week in Mobile where the woman called her male friend to “scare” the victim because he was beating her female friend was a mess. First off, I’m surprised the woman who called the male friend wasn’t charged with murder. I’ve seen other cases like this on the show where the person who set up the attack, which is what she essentially did, are also charged. Secondly, it’s unfortunate that the guy who committed the murder f*cked up his life AGAIN. And this time for good. Apparently he’d been in trouble before but was turning his life around, had a legitimate job etc., but now will likely end up spending the rest of his life in prison over a situation that had nothing to do with him, very poor choice. 

Sadly, I didn’t feel for any of the victims in these two cases, except the victims in the Gwinnett County case who unfortunately,  got caught up in the crazy. Thank goodness the kid wasn’t at the house don’t he might’ve been a victim as well. His meth dealer and domestic abuser father I can’t have much sympathy for. The same for the victim in Mobile who abused his girlfriend. 

• Like 5

On 10/22/2021 at 7:24 PM, Enero said:

how stupid can you be to call an Uber to take you to the scene where you’re going to commit a murder and after committing the murder you call an Uber to pick you up so that you can flee? On top of that the suspect used his real name for the Uber and had it pick him up from his father’s house! This guy had to be high, utterly stupid or just didn’t care if he got caught.

Yeah, I'd bet his lawyer is going to play the mental defect card at trial. Something wasn't right between that boy's ears.

But with that said, if I were in the State's Attorney's office I'd be seeking the death penalty for this guy, to be honest. If he actually did what's he's accused of doing he's a textbook case for the bonus round. Or at the very least, agree to take the needle off the table if he spares the families the anguish of a trial and pleads out to a LWOP sentence.

• Like 3

I’m watching the episode called ‘ the dark trail’.  No idea if it was a new episode or not.  I’m only a few minutes in.  The episode opens with the widow talking several months after her spouse is killed in a homeless encampment by two men with guns.   She’s wearing a chain necklace with a large ( at least 5 inches) pistol pendant.  What the w$&@/? 
As the episode unfolds, a witness tells the police about the shooting and then describes the now widow as a gangster type that will want to retaliate against the shooters herself.  Sure enough she tries to deny knowing the shooters and the Tulsa detective calls her on it.  So she gives up a name. 

It just makes me angry that she loses her spouse to gunfire and then casually wears a gun pendant months later.   

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Like 3

She disturbed me waxing poetic about her "relationship" with the homeless man and their tent life of drugs. She was trying to adjust being back in the "real" world while being confused about why her kids were taken away from her?  She was off. 

The suspect with the face full of tats looked at the camera and asked if he was going to be on The First 48. I agree with Jason, he was scary looking.

Every time they're in OK and mention the Quick Trip I get nervous! Everything bad happens at the Quick Trip.

It was a troubling episode.

Edited by charming
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, charming said:

She disturbed me waxing poetic about her "relationship" with the homeless man and their tent life of drugs. She was trying to adjust being back in the "real" world while being confused about why her kids were taken away from her?  She was off. 

This. It really was laughable how she and the homeless guy who was a witness was trying to play up their life as them doing what they needed to do to get back on track. When what got them off track was doing what they continued to do…drugs. SMH. It’s always the drugs. No matter how “harmless” it may be, ie weed, will get you killed. Though I think they were selling and using harder drugs than that. 

What was crazy too about this case was that both suspects were in their late 30s approaching 40. I mean to still be gang banging at that age and low in the pecking order at that is pretty sad. 

• Like 1

On 12/17/2021 at 12:11 PM, mythoughtis said:

I’m watching the episode called ‘ the dark trail’.  No idea if it was a new episode or not.  I’m only a few minutes in.  The episode opens with the widow talking several months after her spouse is killed in a homeless encampment by two men with guns.   She’s wearing a chain necklace with a large ( at least 5 inches) pistol pendant.  What the w$&@/? 

Yeah, that was a bit messed up, but it didn't really bother me that much. It was indeed a new episode. I don't really have too much disdain for the woman or her late husband. They chose a particularly bad path in life and were skirting the edge of the law, but it's still a terrible thing that happened to him, and indirectly to her. Dope is a cruel mistress.

She's a lost cause, I'm afraid, although one can hope that somehow, sometime, she'll break out of the gangster/dope lifestyle. Probably a stint in prison will be the catalyst, since she's likely headed down that road. Forty years, and Life Without were just sentences for the two scumbags. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, NJRadioGuy said:

Yeah, that was a bit messed up, but it didn't really bother me that much. It was indeed a new episode. I don't really have too much disdain for the woman or her late husband. They chose a particularly bad path in life and were skirting the edge of the law, but it's still a terrible thing that happened to him, and indirectly to her. Dope is a cruel mistress.

She's a lost cause, I'm afraid, although one can hope that somehow, sometime, she'll break out of the gangster/dope lifestyle. Probably a stint in prison will be the catalyst, since she's likely headed down that road. Forty years, and Life Without were just sentences for the two scumbags. 

Oh, I agree that the only people responsible for the man’s death are the two people who killed him.  Not her-and I think you described her in just the right way.  Anger was probably the wrong word for me to use.  Disbelief, sadness, recognition that she is a lost cause as you said.  It’s just so senseless that people die over disrespect and I felt like she didn’t recognize that senselessness. 

• Like 1

I was also fascinated by Face Tattoo Suspect's girlfriend in the white BMW. How are you a woman looking at that man and deciding this is someone you want a relationship with. What's her story?  I'm so curious about the backstory of everyone involved.

I'm loving the new episodes.

Regarding the guy who was shot at the strip club, it always pisses me off when the detectives berate, belittle and shame someone who is afraid to talk or testify cuz they have to live in that neighborhood and are afraid of retaliation. It's so easy for the detectives to say "do the right thing". They just want to solve their case and are not going to do anything to protect these witnesses. They don't have to live in the hood as a snitch every day looking over their shoulder and face that retaliation which is very real, or face putting their family in harms way.