Type keyword(s) to search

The First 48 - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I tired of this show pretty quickly, because the vast majority is drug related.  It's like watching the same episode over and over again.   Most of the murders seem random or impulsive, and since motive interests me the most, it makes for a boring show (for me).

A lot are drug, but I guess that's real life.
There are also love triangles and gangs.
Miami seems to have the most gang violence, and Minneapolis seems to have more violence among the homeless.  (And can you imagine being homeless in Minneapolis?)

• Love 1
On August 6, 2016 at 9:05 PM, auntjess said:

A lot are drug, but I guess that's real life.

True. But there are also a lot of cases that are tied to love triangles, people wanting insurance money or just an argument gone bad. I think The First 48 aims to profile cases that are "easily" and quickly solvable to keep in line with the theme of the show and as a result mostly drug and gangs cases are profiled.

On 8/14/2016 at 2:27 PM, Enero said:

True. But there are also a lot of cases that are tied to love triangles, people wanting insurance money or just an argument gone bad. I think The First 48 aims to profile cases that are "easily" and quickly solvable to keep in line with the theme of the show and as a result mostly drug and gangs cases are profiled.

It's honestly much simpler than that. Those are the vast majority of real life murder cases in urban settings. Any detective who's worked major cases/murder police will tell you the same thing. Dope, dope-related robberies, disrespecting the wrong person, fist fights gone bad, domestics, the odd hate crime, that's the main thread through all this. And most are either slam-dunks or grow into cold cases quickly. Upper class attractive female victims dying in mysterious circumstances ain't something you're gonna see more than once a career. This show captures much of the reality of working homicide.

You don't see things like the detectives attending the PM exam at the ME's, which is pretty well universal, and fortunately they sanitize the scenes for TV; I doubt they'd hold a TV audience if they didn't blur the defects and faces.

Sorry to see NOPD go, but much worse (for me) is Nightwatch leaving NOLA as well. I really wish they'd get to work with a departments in the major cities in the northeast; Newark, Boston, Philly, etc. It's a different world up here.

• Love 3

Just heard that after losing New Orleans as a filming city, both First 48 and Nightwatch will be heading to Tampa, FL.  I'm really going to miss the detectives and Nightwatch EMS folks in Nawlins. I think NOLA, Dallas and Cleveland are my three favourite cities from this series. And I still say if someone ever puts me 10-7 permanently I want Tom Armelli to come out of retirement and work my case.

• Love 2

Did anyone catch the cases tonight in Atlanta and New Orleans? Both were heartbreaking, especially the case in Atlanta. Just so sad for all involved and stupid. All I could do was shake my head when watching the case just sad and senseless. Several lives ruined over nonsense. 

On a shallow note, I didn't realize the attractiveness of Detective Leonpacker. He looked really good in tonight's episode. 

Edited by Enero
  • Love 2

I really like Dwayne Thompson.  In "Brutal Business" he was in awesome form.  I love his commentary... when he said he ought to stop asking WHY people kill each other... there never seems to be reasons.  I felt for the guy.  I love the way he interrogates people - I'd immediately crumble and spill everything!  His outrage at senseless murders his still fresh though he's been doing this job for ages.

• Love 4
22 hours ago, Toaster Strudel said:

One detective told a suspect: "You're trying to GED your way out of a PhD problem... and you're talking to Rhodes Scholars here!"

I loved that!  I told my daughter I need to work this into conversations. lol

• Love 6

I think Caroline is awesome.  She has class and composure and dresses to the "T".  I love that she is such a hip dresser and shows you don't have to be a size 3 to look fabulous.  You rock Caroline, don't stop.  You are such a beautiful woman inside and out.

• Love 3
(edited)

The nicknames are so fascinating to me. It's really so unique that so many people know just a nickname and nothing else about people they're spending a ton of time with. I find it fascinating in a culture where everyone overshares on social media. It takes some effort to be hidden like that these days.

Edited by arieswriting
spelling
  • Love 4

The 48 hours episode was quite harrowing and full of extraordinary details.

Such as the fact that Alejandro Santoyo Guzman had received a million dollar settlement stemming from his whole family dying in a drunk driving accident. Only 20 yrs old, he had purchased a mansion in Texas, gold bars, $1000 designer belts and other nonsense, yet held up a Chinese restaurant at gun point! Texas police showed the Tulsa detectives a video where he gleefully tortures someone with big knives for fun, and is wanted in connection to 4 other murders.  What a waste of money, some psychos can't be helped.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/homepagelatest/tulsa-man-enters-guilty-plea-to-first-degree-murder-in/article_9af63d7a-152f-5540-9fb4-07e0b7a12bc8.html

This was the car accident:

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/For-a-second-time-funeral-marks-loss-of-family-5676003.php

His family was driving to Oklahoma to meet him.  He had been sent there days earlier because of problems with a local gang.

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, Toaster Strudel said:

he 48 hours episode was quite harrowing and full of extraordinary details.

This is the forum for The First 48, an A&E cop  reality show.
The First 48 episode  was a real gut-wrenchers, as 2 thugs open fire on a porch, in New Orleans with a 9mm and an AK. 
With several children among the dead, and 2 badly and permanently injured, people did talk.
I can't figure out why this wasn't a capital case.  If anything deserves it, surely this did.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, auntjess said:

This is the forum for The First 48, an A&E cop  reality show.
The First 48 episode  was a real gut-wrenchers, as 2 thugs open fire on a porch, in New Orleans with a 9mm and an AK. 
With several children among the dead, and 2 badly and permanently injured, people did talk.
I can't figure out why this wasn't a capital case.  If anything deserves it, surely this did.

I think if the babies had died it would’ve been a capital case. Also, drugs being the motive behind the shooting could’ve also factored into how the assaliants were charged. 

That said, I agree this was a horrific case. That poor 13 year old girl lost her life and those babies will be disabled with blindness and brain damage for the rest of their lives. 

• Love 1

Google says in Louisiana the jury decides on Capitol punishment and if so, must be unanimous. So maybe all 12 wouldn’t agree?

that was a heart wrenching case, wasn’t it?   You could tell the detectives were having trouble dealing wirh it all. And, of course, the family will never get over it.  What a tough thing. 

• Love 1

I don't know how I missed that they now had a follow-up series to this show ... I find First 48 fascinating (and sort of feel like I'm getting to know some of the cops and detectives because they do so often go to the same cities) ... I'm basically addicted to ID channel stuff etc. ... always been a true crime fan (I ordered the entire Time Life 20-volume encyclopedia of Crime and Punishment when I was about 10 ... can't believe my parents didn't kill me. But I still have it almost 50 years later). I'll add this to my recording list now. 

ETA: And now looking at the dates of these posts I realize WHY I didn't know there was a new show LOL ... never mind (Emily Litella voice). I guess all the Investigation Discovery and FIrst 48s etc. are starting to run together. 

Edited by PamelaMaeSnap
  • Love 1

The Miraculous Survivors: Coma episode was pretty good. I can’t recall the kid’s first name who was an innocent bystander that was shot and subsequently ended up in a coma. So I’ll just call him Mr. White which was his last name. It truly was amazing that he survived that gun shot wound and a) was able to remember what happened that night after being in a coma and b) nearly made a full recovery. I wonder how he’s doing now. It’s been 10 years since this incident happened which means he’s well into adulthood by now. I hope that he’s still doing well and living a fulfilling life. 

The second case profiled on LaKendra Lawrence was heartbreaking. Her poor family did not expect her to be found dead at all and were understandably devastated by her death. Her ex-boyfriend tried to down play the murder as an accident precipitated by her slapping him. What a piece of sh*t. He choked her to death and what they didn’t say on TF48, burned her body. That was no accident. Glad he’s locked up for the rest of his life. I hope in the years that have passed her family has been able to find some peace. 

• Love 2
On 7/12/2016 at 1:39 PM, wait.what said:

I am new to this series. ( where have I been?)

Can't always remember who is from which state, but I really like Rayell?Atlanta and Ritter?Tulsa. 

Anyway, back to binge watching. 

Justin Ritter (Tulsa) is my absolute favorite.  He's hilarious, no small feat when dealing with such horrific circumstances on a daily basis.   

• Love 2

The Tulsa guys have really grown on me. KC not so much. At least not yet. Atlanta, Harris County, Tulsa and Nawlins are my recent favourites, but Cleveland was tops. If I ever got whacked, I'd want Tom Armelli or Nate Sowa on the case. Sadly for the good people of Cleveland they're both retired. I'd just love to sit down with either of them and talk shop for hours, and smoke cigars with Det. Sowa. From the old shows, I kinda liked Memphis but Miami did nothing for me. Dallas was hit or miss. I really wish they'd get invited to do one of the big northeast cities, though, or some of the really rough places here in Jersey (Camden, Paterson, Irvington, AC, etc). I've got a good friend who's ex-Newark PD, mostly drugs, but also murder police and yeah, the stories he tells :)

Anybody know where the new shows are being shot? I'm guessing they're still in Kansas City Kansas and hopefully Tulsa.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, NJRadioGuy said:

The Tulsa guys have really grown on me. KC not so much. At least not yet. Atlanta, Harris County, Tulsa and Nawlins are my recent favourites, but Cleveland was tops. If I ever got whacked, I'd want Tom Armelli or Nate Sowa on the case. Sadly for the good people of Cleveland they're both retired. I'd just love to sit down with either of them and talk shop for hours, and smoke cigars with Det. Sowa. From the old shows, I kinda liked Memphis but Miami did nothing for me. Dallas was hit or miss. I really wish they'd get invited to do one of the big northeast cities, though, or some of the really rough places here in Jersey (Camden, Paterson, Irvington, AC, etc). I've got a good friend who's ex-Newark PD, mostly drugs, but also murder police and yeah, the stories he tells :)

Anybody know where the new shows are being shot? I'm guessing they're still in Kansas City Kansas and hopefully Tulsa.

St Louis for one. 

(edited)
On 7/25/2018 at 8:13 PM, NJRadioGuy said:

The Tulsa guys have really grown on me. KC not so much. At least not yet. Atlanta, Harris County, Tulsa and Nawlins are my recent favourites, but Cleveland was tops. If I ever got whacked, I'd want Tom Armelli or Nate Sowa on the case.

Ray Diaz is still there, I think, and the women Kathleen Carlin and Kathy Cruz, who I think ran in heels one episode.
Before the 2 you named though, I loved Wally Everett and Mike Smith, who retired a while back.
https://www.aetv.com/shows/the-first-48/cast/cleveland-oh

And I think the first Tulsa episode, where there children were left in the car where their mother was killed, was an especially good one.  Lots of surveillance video, too.

Edited by auntjess
  • Love 1

Just watched "End of the Road" and it was one of the best First 48 episodes they've ever done. A stone-cold case (from a previous episode none the less) that ended

Spoiler

with an idiot suspect who talked himself into a 40 year prison sentence. If that rocket surgeon of a suspect had just refused to make any statements at the outset he'd be a free man today. They even told him as much.

That's how you conduct an interview. The new guy is one of the best investigators I've seen profiled on this show in a while. 

• Love 1

The episode that I saw last night, actually occurred in 2016 in Tulsa.   I'm including a link about it. The killer, robbed and murdered, the best friend of his estranged girlfriend.  Girlfriend had just gotten a restraining order against him.  He had threatened to kill girlfriend's friends before to punish her. So, girlfriend tries to call her dear friend for 2 days, gets no answer, yet, thinks nothing of it. The friend is lying in her condo murdered.  I'm just trying to figure people's behavior out.  She didn't even warn her friend of the restraining order.  Taking her trash out at night, is something that the friend might have avoided.  Very sad story.  OH, the killer kills himself as police close in on him.  

I'm not sure why this article says the murder was out of greed. It was actually revenge. 

http://www.newson6.com/story/33530744/tulsa-police-murder-suspect-targeted-victim-out-of-greed

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 3

Love this show.  Seems like every since this season started a&e just throws new episodes on whenever.   A couple here, a couple there. No real pattern.    I hope that doesn’t mean it’s the end of the line.  The new episodes now were shot two years ago 

• Love 3

I just watched the 2 hour episode on the shooting, and then the dreadful murder of Courtney Palmer.  That poor guy.
They haven't gone to trial yet, but this is a case where I really hope they get death.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, auntjess said:

I just watched the 2 hour episode on the shooting, and then the dreadful murder of Courtney Palmer.  That poor guy.
They haven't gone to trial yet, but this is a case where I really hope they get death.

That was truly horrific.  The episode started off with the shooting, and I felt so sorry for the dead man and his family. Then details started coming out, and it was ruled self-defense( rightly, I think). Then the dead mans friends just totally murdered Courtney.  That whole situation sure changed 180 degrees, didn’t it?  Those people were cold cold cold. My DVR cut off the ending. Did the son who came clean with the police get charged? I know his Mother and girlfriend did. 

• Love 1
18 hours ago, auntjess said:

I don't think so.  Here's a pretty recent story, and links to other coverage. 
https://www.tulsaworld.com/news/crimewatch/the-first-tv-show-features-tulsa-gang-related-torture-and/article_a80a0de2-3e08-57ca-84e6-40fa744b782c.html

If only they could have gotten word out right away, about why the keys were taken, maybe he'd still be alive.

Interesting. They don’t appear to have charged the son and they turned his girlfriend into a material witness.  The son wasn’t shown to have done anything, but didn’t try to prevent it or call 911. The sons girlfriend was the one who helped get the ice, but also didn’t otherwise participate or prevent.  They did not discuss the gang affiliation in the show, other than to say Courtney had gang friends. . 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 1

That episode was truly upsetting to me. To the point I kept thinking about it for a couple days. Courtney really seemed like a kid who was just lost, and was truly fearful for his life. Those people straight-up tortured him for something he didn't even do, and then burned his body. The two main perpetrators showed absolutely no remorse. I just kept thinking about how terrified he must have been, and what the other people at the house said about him basically begging for his life. Ugh. It's still upsetting.

Also, the man who was shot at the apartment survived (though was apparently in the hospital for a few weeks).

Edited by redpencil
  • Love 4
9 hours ago, redpencil said:

That episode was truly upsetting to me. To the point I kept thinking about it for a couple days. Courtney really seemed like a kid who was just lost, and was truly fearful for his life. Those people straight-up tortured him for something he didn't even do, and then burned his body. The two main perpetrators showed absolutely no remorse. I just kept thinking about how terrified he must have been, and what the other people at the house said about him basically begging for his life. Ugh. It's still upsetting.

Also, the man who was shot at the apartment survived (though was apparently in the hospital for a few weeks).

Yes to all of that. Courtney had been diagnosed with mental illness. The detective knew him from his past cases and said he was a good person, just friendly with the wrong people.   You are not alone with being upset and having it linger in your mind. I still get upset that the son didn’t call the police during all those hours Courtney was being tortured. Maybe the son would be dead though too since these people killed Courtney because they thought he’d set their friend up.  It’s so hard to accept that people like these exist. 

That you for pointing out that the first shooting was not a fatality. I knew that. But my fingers obviously had a mind of their own when I typed that earlier post.  I’m so used to the First 48 covering fatalities.  Guess that should have been my first clue that the episode wasn’t really going to be about that first ‘victim’.  Some victim, huh.  Wonder what he is actually like. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

That you for pointing out that the first shooting was not a fatality. I knew that. But my fingers obviously had a mind of their own when I typed that earlier post.  I’m so used to the First 48 covering fatalities.  Guess that should have been my first clue that the episode wasn’t really going to be about that first ‘victim’.  Some victim, huh.  Wonder what he is actually like. 

I did read that the first shooting victim testified at the trial that he didn't believe Courtney had set him up.

I also keep thinking about the woman who initially took away Courtney's keys. She did the right thing, but unknowingly set off this whole chain of events. I imagine she may have felt a tremendous amount of guilt, but I hope she's been able to move on, since it is not at all her fault.

• Love 3
On 11/3/2018 at 8:52 AM, mythoughtis said:

Yes to all of that. Courtney had been diagnosed with mental illness. The detective knew him from his past cases and said he was a good person, just friendly with the wrong people.   You are not alone with being upset and having it linger in your mind. I still get upset that the son didn’t call the police during all those hours Courtney was being tortured. Maybe the son would be dead though too since these people killed Courtney because they thought he’d set their friend up.  It’s so hard to accept that people like these exist. 

Just saw this episode. What a horrific murder and over what? Nothing. Just horrible. It’s too bad Courtney couldn’t get the help that he needed ie couseling, a program and the right medication that could’ve perhaps put him on a path that was more positive and didn’t include these monsters. I felt so sad his family. He was so young and seemed like a good kid. He just needed the right help. 

Regarding the witnesses to what happened, I too wondered why no one called for help, but then I realized it’s easy to make that judgment in the safety of my own home without the horror of hearing (and eventually seeing) someone being brutally tortured down the hall. I really can’t blame the son for keeping quiet considering the fact that his mom was involved and more importantly the people who were committing the crime were vicious killers. 

From what I could find on this case it looks to still be pending. I hope all who are charged will get the book thrown at them. 

• Love 2

What does everyone think of the new six part offshoot- first 48 - Atlanta? This episode was titled Fallen Angel. It seemed to move at a much slower pace, and had a lot more talking head interviews.  Some of the narration seemed a little ‘cheesy’.  It was almost as if they used slow motion in some of the scenes too.  

But I loved seeing the Atlanta team again.  

• Love 1
8 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

What does everyone think of the new six part offshoot- first 48 - Atlanta? This episode was titled Fallen Angel. It seemed to move at a much slower pace, and had a lot more talking head interviews.  Some of the narration seemed a little ‘cheesy’.  It was almost as if they used slow motion in some of the scenes too.  

But I loved seeing the Atlanta team again.  

I watched. I remember the case they’re profiling - Bridget Shiel. She was a gorgeous girl that seems to have had a horrible home life, and as a result got caught up in a very dangerous lifestyle that likely led to her murder. I know that someone was eventually arrested in the case, but I’m curious about the motive for the murder. 

Anyway, I didn’t like the slow motion that was used and many of the scenes that were obviously staged. It made the show feel more Hollywood than authentic. It was good to see the Atlanta detectives again though.

Looks like this 8-part series won’t just focus on the case of Bridget Shiel, but they’ll be profiling other Atlanta cases as well. 

Edited by Enero
  • Love 2

Spree Killer was another intense episode for the Tulsa crew. I miss Bow Tie, but the new detective is really on his game. I wonder if the perp will go for an insanity defense, being off his meds and all. Horrific.

PS. I could never be a dectective because all trucks look the same to me! 

• Love 2

Thursday night’s episode was interesting, about the murder at Kroger. I used to work across the street from there, and it is a VERY affluent area, but has many issues with crime (i.e. robberies, theft, etc.,) I think because of the abundance of affluence in the area. 

Anyway, though the victim was involved in a criminal transaction that precipitated  his death, I felt terrible for him and his family. What a horrible way to die, being beaten then shot. What was odd is that they never revealed who the victim was. His family must have declined to participate and didn’t want anything about them or him revealed. Also, they never showed them catching and interrogating the shooting suspect, only the girl who allegedly set up the deal. In the end they did show a mugshot of the suspect, but I wonder why his apprehension etc., was left out of the episode? Unless they showed it when I wasn’t watching. I did step out of the room for a minute towards the end of the episode.

Edited by Enero
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, Enero said:

Thursday night’s episode was interesting, about the murder at Kroger. I used to work across the street from there, and it is a VERY affluent area, but has many issues with crime (i.e. robberies, theft, etc.,) I think because of the abundance of affluence in the area. 

Anyway, though the victim was involved in a criminal transaction that precipitated  his death, I felt terrible for him and his family. What a horrible way to die, being beaten then shot. What was odd is that they never revealed who the victim was. His family must have declined to participate and didn’t want anything about them or him revealed. Also, they never showed them catching and interrogating the shooting suspect, only the girl who allegedly set up the deal. In the end they did show a mugshot of the suspect, but I wonder why his apprehension etc., was left out of the episode? Unless they showed it when I wasn’t watching. I did step out of the room for a minute towards the end of the episode.

I think they did interview him and he claimed he was being robbed. The truth was he was buying what he thought were valuable drugs and they were Tylenol.   This was the one where they had several stories going on, so they probably edited out a lot. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, mythoughtis said:

This was the one where they had several stories going on, so they probably edited out a lot. 

And this is several continuing cases.  The Fallen Angel one is the one I start watching, it was still being worked.
This is a good show, and I also like ATL Homicide, on TV1, I think.

• Love 1

Oh Wow....Fallen Angel was terrific, it kept me up all night, it is a good thing I am retired and can do this. I didn't know anything about this case and I live in Atlanta, but do not really follow local news. It's a great little series, I totally recommend it. It is very well done. 

• Love 2