Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E24: Mercy: Raid on Stohess District, Part 2

Annie transforms into the Female Titan and the scouts spring into action to capture her. Luring her into the underground section of the city has failed, so they are now relying on Eren to transform into the Rogue Titan. Unfortunately, Eren just can't... not with Annie.

Watching Eren was like watching the Royals tonight, oy... At least he made a comeback at the end.

I gotta say, I think Erwen is a poor leader when it comes to emotional matters, but strategy wise, he's kind of impressive. I find his tactics wasteful in regards to manpower, which I think is interesting. I don't know quite how to put this, but most strategists in anime seem to be shogi style (do more with less). Erwen seems to be playing chess, which seems Pyrrhic in comparison.

Edited by PrincessEnnui

I gotta say, I think Erwen is a poor leader when it comes to emotional matters, but strategy wise, he's kind of impressive. I find his tactics wasteful in regards to manpower, which I think is interesting. I don't know quite how to put this, but most strategists in anime seem to be shogi style (do more with less). Erwen seems to be playing chess, which seems Pyrrhic in comparison.

I somewhat agree. I think Erwin has made some questionable decisions in the past, especially considering the scouts are an all volunteer force. However, this is a unique situation. He could think, rightly in my opinion, that the intelligence gained from capturing Annie and removing a spy from within the city is worth the sacrifice. I will say this about the guy, he is definitely a lead from the front commander. Also, in a really messed up way, Titans appearing in the interior may ultimately be good for the scouts. As more people realize that the interior is not the safe haven they thought it was, may make at least some people want to fight back.

From last weeks thread:

Unless I'm misremembering, I'm pretty sure there was a not-insignificant moment edited out of the dub (or the Toonami version). I'll put it in spoiler tags just in case it shows up later (although that wouldn't make sense):

I'm guessing the flashback to their fight was the scene you are referring to, right?

While I get that this episode was largely setup for next weeks finale, I wish it had focused less on Eren's angst. It was nice to see Jean realize what a complete waste the MPs are. I did think it was funny when, upon seeing transformed Annie, an unnamed MP say "So that's what they look like?".  

• Love 2

Like last week I lament that the anime really didn't show the significance of the relationship among the cadets particularly Annie to Eren before reintroducing her. It makes his reluctance and inability to transform easier to understand. The cadets trained together for something like three years but you never get the feeling from the show they did.

At least we have Levi taken out early on (with his bum leg) to explain why he's not there to tear the Female Titan to shreds. I do wish Mkasa wasn't the only one to get a legit hit on the Female Titan though. Almost all the Scouts have more experience than her and would really hurt to have one of them good a clean shot instead of being nameless fodder?

And I still think the freakout from Annie (repeated at the beginning of the this episode) doesn't make sense. Look at her in Titan form - she's very deliberate and methodical and as Armin says, because he's usually right, desperate. But that doesn't equate to crazy. 

• Love 1
And I still think the freakout from Annie (repeated at the beginning of the this episode) doesn't make sense. Look at her in Titan form - she's very deliberate and methodical and as Armin says, because he's usually right, desperate. But that doesn't equate to crazy. 

I didn't see Annie as freaking out or crazy in that scene. I thought that was her way of easing the tension for herself. It kind of reminded me of Final Fantasy X's Tidus and his habit of screaming. He knew that screaming would not necessarily change his circumstance(s), but the screaming helped him relax a little at that moment. I do think the way she did it, the blushing, the length is just odd.

Their training took three years? I think I missed that piece of info. I think the Trost arc went on far too long, they should have shortened that batch of episodes for sure. Someone mentioned next week is the finale. IIRC Toonami will be running movies during the holiday season and I wonder if the OVAs will make it. ...Or the Gurren Lagann movies. 

• Love 1

I didn't see Annie as freaking out or crazy in that scene. I thought that was her way of easing the tension for herself. I do think the way she did it, the blushing, the length is just odd.

I agree, it's like when people start laughing at really tense moments. I think she was holding that secret in for so long that it probably felt great to finally have it out in the open. 

Their training took three years? I think I missed that piece of info.

Yeah, training took 2-3 years. The fall of Shigashina occurred in 845, Operation Population Reduction took place in 846, and the trio were eligible for enlistment the following year. 104th corps graduates a day before the Trost attack and it was stated that the Colossal Titan has not been seen in 5 years, making training time to be about 2-3 years.

I think the Trost arc went on far too long, they should have shortened that batch of episodes for sure.

Also agree. There were parts of that arc they could have shortened, like when Eren in titan form was sitting on the ground dreaming for the entire episode.

Someone mentioned next week is the finale.

Yes, next week is the last episode, although I understand that production of season 2 is underway and that two episodes based on the "No Regrets" spinoff are also in the works.

ETA: I loved Levi and Eren's exchange in the castle culminating with Levi stating, "I wasn't talking to you." and perspective changes to show that it's only Eren and Levi in the room. 

Edited by ZoqFotPik
  • Love 2

Zoe is scary. I think she's been taking Creepy Scientist lessons from Mayuri Kurotsuchi.

The Scouts need to work out some tactics to use against the smart Titans where everyone attacks in a swarm. Attacking one or two at a time usually doesn't do much damage, and they end up dead. With group attacks they'd at least do real damage while they lose people.

I forgot to mention last week that the opening is super spoilery. I'm not sure who that it was a good idea to have a lingering shot on Annie. Let's see; she joins the MPs. She hardly appears in the story arc and isn't mentioned. Let's make a point of focusing on her in the credits. Nobody will think that's relevant, right?

The end credits are spoilery too, but they've cut the spoilery part on Toonami.

Unless I'm misremembering, I'm pretty sure there was a not-insignificant moment edited out of the dub (or the Toonami version). I'll put it in spoiler tags just in case it shows up later (although that wouldn't make sense):

From last weeks thread:

I'm guessing the flashback to their fight was the scene you are referring to, right?

Yep, that was it.