Type keyword(s) to search

AS4, S11: Michelle Lesniak

• Start Topic

I just rewatched Season 11.  I'm no Michelle fan, but I'm trying to nail down how I feel think about her.  She's not horrible.  Horrible is reserved for people like Helen.

Though I do think there's some stuff 'off' about her.  It really turned me off how afraid she acted of dealing with Patricia -- based on very, very little -- and acted like Patricia was a pariah with cooties or something. She really looked down on Patricia.  And that made me look down on her.  Her only saving grace in this situation was she was never outright mean, or a bully -- she 'bulled' Patricia to the camera, only.

She has a very odd 'accent' or speech pattern.  She over-enunciates every word.  It's a bit irritating.  I think the positive thing about her is that she really gets excited about her own art and the things she likes -- I think that rubbed off on Amanda in a good way.  I'll reserve judgement for this All-Stars season.

• Love 1

I just rewatched Season 11.  I'm no Michelle fan, but I'm trying to nail down how I feel think about her.  She's not horrible.  Horrible is reserved for people like Helen.

Though I do think there's some stuff 'off' about her.  It really turned me off how afraid she acted of dealing with Patricia -- based on very, very little -- and acted like Patricia was a pariah with cooties or something. She really looked down on Patricia.  And that made me look down on her.  Her only saving grace in this situation was she was never outright mean, or a bully -- she 'bulled' Patricia to the camera, only.

She has a very odd 'accent' or speech pattern.  She over-enunciates every word.  It's a bit irritating.  I think the positive thing about her is that she really gets excited about her own art and the things she likes -- I think that rubbed off on Amanda in a good way.  I'll reserve judgement for this All-Stars season.

I respect what you're saying, but I think less of Michelle because she limited her damn the torpedos iconiclasm/nastiness to where she didn't have to face anyone and only a few million people would hear her instead of, you know, facing people the people she was trashing. Then she backpedaled and spent the rest of the season pretending she had no idea why people thought she was hostile.

I vehemently dislike Michelle. It makes me genuinely happy that hipster Heather has to live in a world where even if she maneuvered her way unattractively to a win, she still lost out, because America isn't interested in being Her Girl.

• Love 4

I vehemently dislike Michelle. It makes me genuinely happy that hipster Heather has to live in a world where even if she maneuvered her way unattractively to a win, she still lost out, because America isn't interested in being Her Girl.

I think it was her hipsteryness that I disliked so much. That and the I'm-so-much-cooler-than-everyone-else-see-how-alternative-I-am. Those may be the same thing. I'm not sure. It's the sort of thing I dislike in real life -- usually encountered among college-age people who think they know so much and I know so little even though I've already done the things they're doing and know, among other things, that someday they're going to learn better (I hope because not much is worse than a 50-year-old who still believes that way). (Not to say all college-age people are this way. That's just where I usually encounter the attitude.) So I just don't enjoy watching it on TV unless it's going to get taken down a peg or 200.

• Love 6

I actually really enjoyed Michelle's designs on the show (and especially her NYFW collection - I would totally wear 90% of that collection as-is or with minor modifications), so I'm looking forward to seeing what she comes up with on All Stars.

The few pieces of Michelle's work I liked I liked when I saw people wearing them on the street for years before Michelle appropriated them.

• Love 5

kat165, on 30 Oct 2014 - 11:41 PM, said:

Forgot to mention Michelle going to hug Kate when she came off the runway. What the hell? Is this the same woman who on her season didn't like to touch or be touched? And her hamming it up on the runway when they discussed her dress was too much. She didn't really bother me in her season, but I think she might during this one. I feel like she's putting on a show for us.

Quote from episode thread.

I like Michelle, but I recognize she's a polarizing person, and understand much of the criticism.  I do feel the need to defend Michelle's touch issues.  I'm a person with a very large personal space.  I'm not super touchy, feely, and I do not like unsolicited hugs from people I barely know.  I prefer to be left alone so I can sort things out, and I'm sure I appear very prickly in the moment.  However, I do recognize that others are very different.  Therefore, I'm perfectly capable of hugging others in need of comfort - if that's the type of thing they need.  I don't feel that makes me a hypocrite.  I've also comforted people I've criticized, because I'm still capable of empathizing with people I don't care for or agree with.

I think Michelle is an example of a person who can dish it out but not take it.  It doesn't make her evil.  She has a strong personality with strong opinions, and is very free with her criticism.  Unfortunately, she is also extremely sensitive to criticism.  I can be the same way, and although I hate it about myself, I haven't been able to change it.  It's a cliché, but sometimes the person with the loudest bark is also the person most easily hurt.  It's a conundrum, and it sucks.

• Love 2

I like Michelle, but I recognize she's a polarizing person, and understand much of the criticism.  I do feel the need to defend Michelle's touch issues.  I'm a person with a very large personal space.  I'm not super touchy, feely, and I do not like unsolicited hugs from people I barely know.  I prefer to be left alone so I can sort things out, and I'm sure I appear very prickly in the moment.  However, I do recognize that others are very different.  Therefore, I'm perfectly capable of hugging others in need of comfort - if that's the type of thing they need.  I don't feel that makes me a hypocrite.  I've also comforted people I've criticized, because I'm still capable of empathizing with people I don't care for or agree with.

I think Michelle is an example of a person who can dish it out but not take it.  It doesn't make her evil.  She has a strong personality with strong opinions, and is very free with her criticism.  Unfortunately, she is also extremely sensitive to criticism.  I can be the same way, and although I hate it about myself, I haven't been able to change it.  It's a cliché, but sometimes the person with the loudest bark is also the person most easily hurt.  It's a conundrum, and it sucks.

To be honest, I am much the same way, actually more so when I was younger. The years have worn off some of my edges.  I didn't have the strong feelings against Michelle the way other people had and have, and I wonder if that's the reason why.  Thank you for the thoughtful post.

• Love 2

Michelle looks like a younger Catherine O'Hara playing a hipster fashion designer in a Christopher Guest mockumentary. 

Heh, her personal "style" is ridiculous and about five years out of date. She just tries waaaaaaay too hard.

• Love 1

I'm a Patricia fan, in the minority on that here I'm sure, in fact my own husband saw her on the screen as he passed through and went, "HER again???"

But if I recall correctly, Michelle was not the only one who said they didn't want to work with Patricia. Layana, whom I really didn't care for, said it also, and I kind of remember Stanley saying it, although he changed his mind after they worked together. Stanley even said he really liked what Patricia made and was going to steal a technique from her.

Back to Michelle: I have no problem with her snarking in talking heads. They ALL DO IT, starting with season one and it still holds true today. I don't think some of the stuff Michelle said was any worse than anyone else has said since the beginning of Project Runway time.

I'm not necessarily a fan of hers and didn't want her to win, but also, re the touching thing: I'm the same way, but more especially so if I'm upset about something. I just want to be given my space. Of course, Michelle didn't have to make the faces that made her look like she was going to throw up when Patricia touched her, but I think she's just so overconfident in herself that she absolutely cannot believe she received a negative critique so it's the end of her world.

Like the way she acted when she was actually REPRIEVED and allowed to stay in New York. She was pissed that everyone else got to go to Europe!! Instead, she was forced to stay in New York, one of the most wonderful cities to visit in the world!! Boo hoo! She almost went home she was so unhappy; wish she had...

Edited by PepperMonkey
  • Love 3

re the touching thing: I'm the same way, but more especially so if I'm upset about something. I just want to be given my space.

So am I, but if someone hugs me, I put up with it for a few seconds at least without making faces, shoving them away or saying, "Don't touch me," and even if someone is upset, I don't hug that person (unless it's a family member or close friend) because how do I know that person wants me hugging him or her? Also, it just doesn't come naturally, and you can tell if someone who doesn't like to hug is hugging you, and it doesn't feel comfortable for anyone.

• Love 1

Oh, auntlada, I agree with you completely, which is why I said the faces she made during the hug from Patricia, which was obviously sincere, were rude and childish.

I'm just saying I UNDERSTAND the sentiment, but I, like you, know how to act like an adult, instead of like a Michelle.

• Love 2

Since she was on Season 11, she's been divorced and apparently is now engaged to a new victim...uh...um....guy. Maybe she was really unhappy in S11 and targeted her fellow sewtestants. No telling.

I really, really don't understand the world. Michelle has had two men betrothed to her in far, far less time than I've had...anything with anyone. I'm not nearly as mean as her.
  • Love 3

"When I first saw her updated group pic I didn't understand why they invited Seth-Aaron back for a third time. Seriously, those two could be related."

thank you so much for this. that is exactly what I thought when I saw her. oh my god. Seth -Aaron looked hideous in this hairstyle and she looks even worse. I sort of liked her and her clothes in her season but she doesn't hold up over time. i'll be hate watching her for sure.

• Love 1

I think Michelle is an example of a person who can dish it out but not take it. It doesn't make her evil.

No, it makes her a whiny bully. I appreciate, truly, the self awareness you show in owning what you see as similar tendencies to Michelle's, but I think precisely that self awareness is what distinguishes you from Michelle. I didn't dislike her for being blunt. I disliked her for leading a pack of mean girls in casual cruelty and then pretending she had no idea what her victims were upset about. I'm sure gaslighting people works wonderfully well for her in her personal life, and will bring her an endless supply of mates whose heads she can eat, but _we saw her do all of it on television_.

It was honestly his bond with Michelle that was my first clue that something was a little twisted about Tim Gunn's relationship with bullying.

Michelle looks like a younger Catherine O'Hara playing a hipster fashion designer in a Christopher Guest mockumentary.

That's kind of perfect.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 5

Yep, exactly, I'm the same way. I guess I can understand the Michelle hate, but I always liked her. The only thing I remember about her talking heads is that they were funny and that she never insulted anyone's personality - she only commented on their clothing. And maybe it's a Portland thing... her sense of style is not too different from the style of a lot of my neighbours when I lived there. As far as the hug thing, I have been surprise-hugged by someone when I was feeling uncomfortable and I'm sure I cringed too as a reflex. I just had the benefit of it not being filmed for the world to see. She seemed really respectful of Patricia's artistry and creation of textiles so I don't see a reason to bring up her season 11 perspective of Patricia into the mix, when obviously she and Patricia have moved on from that.

Lord.  Why does just the SOUND of Michelle's voice make me angry?

I don't know if it's the constant uptalking, the built in condescension, or both in combination, but it never fails.  When she's talking, I want silence.

And that's even without seeing the smug look on her face.  Just the voiceovers are bad enough.

• Love 4

Kromm, I've learned how to use the mute button and the close captioning option on my remote thanks to Michelle's voice. Listening to her speak, even if it's only a word or two, makes me feel very shabby. I just can't with her. I'm not sure if it's the tone, the pitch, the accent or the nasally reverb of her voice but my ears will rejoice when she gets auf'd.

Kromm, I've learned how to use the mute button and the close captioning option on my remote thanks to Michelle's voice. Listening to her speak, even if it's only a word or two, makes me feel very shabby. I just can't with her. I'm not sure if it's the tone, the pitch, the accent or the nasally reverb of her voice but my ears will rejoice when she gets auf'd.

Nasal is fine with me. But uptalkers (which Michelle very much is) almost always annoy me. Typically though, it's just that--annoyance (and not anger). I mean many uptalkers are perfectly fine people who just speak in an annoying way (and some whole nations, the Australians for example, uptalk and I can hardly hate entire nations).

Michelle though takes it to a different level because you can hear other things in her voice. There's an aural sneer in everything she says (often matched with an actual sneer, visible if we're seeing her and not just hearing her).

• Love 2

I don't remember much about her personality from her season (only that I didn't like it) but was she always such a tryhard? Her antics on the runway are cringeworthy (especially the purring/sex-kittening this week). It's like she's wants to come across a certain way and is forcing it. Did she do this on her season?

I'd say she was VERY memorable in her own season.  In that she was HORRIBLE.  I mean to me I often see "putting on an act" with the over the top people.  But Michelle's brand of being a shitty person came off to me personally as completely real--not a put on.  She just came off as a shit person.  Inside her own head I'm sure it came off as snarky and cool, but outside it always had the taste of meanness to it and not just wisecracking.

It could have been the uptalking, sneering tone and facial expressions like she thought she was commenting on insects rather than people.

• Love 1

I'm currently watching season 11 for the first time and I don't get the hate. I'm only on episode 7 so maybe she gets more terrible as the season goes on?  If not, she's one of my favorites so far. I haven't heard her say anything too mean about anyone, no more than anyone else. I'd say she's one of my favorites in that season. What am I missing?

• Love 1

I'm currently watching season 11 for the first time and I don't get the hate. I'm only on episode 7 so maybe she gets more terrible as the season goes on?  If not, she's one of my favorites so far. I haven't heard her say anything too mean about anyone, no more than anyone else. I'd say she's one of my favorites in that season. What am I missing?

A ton is her tone.  It reeks of insincerity, and that form of sarcasm that's not really meant to be funny to anyone other than yourself.  She rarely says outright insulting things--there's just a constant supply (especially in her talking heads) of moments of smug superiority.

• Love 4

Haven't you heard? She hasn't gotten anywhere because she has a passion for dressing all women, not just her hipster brethren, and she's totally committed to living wages for the little people (she's hinted that's why she didn't get Lord&Taylor), all of which which makes her a groundbreaking hypothetical iconoclast for regional Tedx purposes.

The website amuses me. Did you know her quick wit made Michelle a viewers' darling?

• Love 2

I take it back. I take it allll back. Before this season, I liked her. Now? I hope I never ever have to see her on my TV screen again. I totally see what everyone else was talking about now. She tries so hard to be all 'alternative', act like she's everyone's best friend, makes herself the centre of attention, and she only said that Alexandria was the most annoying contestant in order to avoid being called on it herself. Um, Alexandria was on the show for all of 5 minutes. You mean to tell me that someone else who was on the show longer (like, uh, I dunno, maybe herself?) wasn't much more annoying than Alexandria? Girl, bye.

• Love 1