Type keyword(s) to search

BBC America

• Start Topic

I have taken to following the BBC America Facebook page.  For about a month, every time they advertised the new programming coming this fall, I went through their list of programming on my DirecTV app for the next two and a half weeks.  Almost half of it was Star Trek: TNG, which had nothing to do with the BBC.  Kitchen Nightmares, Planet Earth (in all its various incarnations), the Lions den, endless repeats of the 007 movies, (most recently) the US version of Star Trek (and for the record James Doohan was Canadian by birth, not British), some periodic Dr. Who broadcasts, Nature's Weirdest Events, CSI Miami (why, I can't tell you), the Terminator series of movies, Galaxy Quest, and Men in Black (again, why????) fill out the rest of the schedule.

We get the occasional Graham Norton and Sherlock broadcasts, and Dirk Gently, along with Humans, Scorpion King but these are generally shown once and done - no repeats.  Miss it and you are SOL.

One time, for fun, I counted the number of episodes in a two week period for Next Generation.  It exceeded the number of episodes for the entire series.  So every time they go on a run for TNG, viewers are seeing pretty much every episode ever made.

They just don't care.  They really don't.

• Love 2
33 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

Patrick Stewart is British... ;-)

I was pointing to the original Star Trek, not next generation, as having no one British in the cast.

Star Trek had an anniversary recently, so I can at least see the excuse of it being "event" television. CSI: Miami is the one I don't get. At all.

Honestly, I even miss Cash In The Attic now. I never actually cared about the show, but it was nice to have authentic British accents in the background while I started my day. It's probably best that my cable provider only added BBCA two years ago. I'd be a lot more annoyed if I remembered all the other shows they used to offer.

• Love 4

My opinion, and it is only my opinion:

Star Trek in any iteration belongs on SciFi or Science or TBS or any other outlet.  BBC in any iteration should be British MADE television.  Not just TV with a British director or actor.

i know, also, that other channels run marathons of a well-liked program.  But they do it for a few hours or even for a day.  The relentless showing of Next Generation is almost pathological.  I once monitored their schedule and there was at least one time where it ran for a straight 30 hours.  It is lazy programming and someone should be fired.

• Love 6

I started watching ST: TNG on BBCA about a month and a half ago. It's frustrating because they seem to cycle through the same episodes spanning throughout the whole series. I watched the original ST on there recently too and I appreciated the fact that they showed them all in order. I guess it's easier to do with a series with fewer episodes in total.

This past two weekends I've checked out Sherlock too. I've enjoyed it but you can definitely tell it's done by the guy who used to be in charge of Dr. Who. 

5 hours ago, Jaded said:

I started watching ST: TNG on BBCA about a month and a half ago. It's frustrating because they seem to cycle through the same episodes spanning throughout the whole series. I watched the original ST on there recently too and I appreciated the fact that they showed them all in order. I guess it's easier to do with a series with fewer episodes in total.

There are only 178 episodes, so with the continuing marathon with some episode being shown just about every day, it wouldn't take long to run through the entire series.

Well they now seem to be binging the first two seasons of Star Trek Voyager one day a week, with The Next Generation and the original Star Trek getting their day along with two days of Doctor Who. I do wonder why they didn't go all out and get Deep Space Nine and Enterprise while they were at it.

3 hours ago, Raja said:

Well they now seem to be binging the first two seasons of Star Trek Voyager one day a week, with The Next Generation and the original Star Trek getting their day along with two days of Doctor Who. I do wonder why they didn't go all out and get Deep Space Nine and Enterprise while they were at it.

They started with Voyager by doing a marathon New Years Day and the day after. I watched a lot of those episodes and watched the ones I didn't catch because they've rerun the same ones since the beginning of the year. They've gotten into 3rd season episodes too and the farthest they've gotten that I can tell is the two parter "Future's End" episodes that have Sarah Silverman and Ed Begley Jr. in them. 

I can see the intersection of anglophiles and trekkies but CSI Miami is pretty ridiculous. I know that AMC has the TV rights to the series, they run BBCA and  probably reap half the advertising sales, but c'mon! The channel's identity is meaningless if only a handful of hours a week have British roots.

I know she probably has a number of assets to manage, including streaming services and US-based BBC productions like Dancing with the Stars, but I'd really like to see BBC Worldwide exec Ann Sarnoff put some of her attention back on BBC America's programming. How much more fun and appealing would BBCA be if say, the folks behind BBCA's Anglophenia managed the channel's schedule? (blog, YT channel) There has to be a better way for the channel to acquire affordable shows, build a modest following of eyeballs and then monetize that audience.

I'm not feeling particularly optimistic about the upcoming joint venture between BBC Worldwide and ITV to stream shows in the US. It'll be interesting to see, though, what of their current programming will actually be available and new to the US market. Their deep back catalog of dramas, at least, are already streaming on Netflix, Prime, Acorn and even PBS Passport.

• Love 2

It's too much to hope for but back in the day BBC America would run a whole bunch of EastEnders eps on a Saturday. That would be great. Also I miss Coronation Street, which Hulu abandoned last spring. (I know it's ITV rather than BBC but still....)

There was talk that Hulu etc was losing streaming rights to British shows because the British networks (BBC, ITV, etc) were working together on some sort of joint streaming service of their own nicknamed BritFlix. Sadly though I've heard nothing.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, Mumbles said:

It's too much to hope for but back in the day BBC America would run a whole bunch of EastEnders eps on a Saturday. That would be great. Also I miss Coronation Street, which Hulu abandoned last spring. (I know it's ITV rather than BBC but still....)

There was talk that Hulu etc was losing streaming rights to British shows because the British networks (BBC, ITV, etc) were working together on some sort of joint streaming service of their own nicknamed BritFlix. Sadly though I've heard nothing.

I remember when they used to show Eastenders. That was when they had more diverse programming. I wish ITV would bring a channel over here so I didn't have to watch online. They could air Jeremy Kyle late at night and I'd watch that too. (Ducks from flying tomatoes...)

• Love 2

The proposed streaming service between BBC and ITV is Britbox and is supposed to include Eastenders. Presumably, like Acorn, the streaming service will be available on different devices, including smart TVs and various TV sticks.

I always thought it was weird ITV put Jeremy Kyle on US daytime syndication.

• Love 1

I am ready to give Britbox my money if they would take it! I became addicted to Eastenders back when BBCA aired it and it has been incredibly difficult to keep up over the years,

• Love 3
19 hours ago, halopub said:

The BBC has launched Britbox. I only took a quick glance but it looks mainly like an archive of classic shows plus current soaps.

Thanks! I've been wanting to rewatch Cold Feet. Never got to see either the episode where Rachel dies or the subsequent episodes. Also never got to see Eastenders. Hope they also add Coronation Street.

• Love 1

I am a little disappointed that Coronation Street isn't up there - if you look at Britbox's Twitter feed (who knew?) people have been clamoring for it for months, so the fact that it's not there by now is not a good sign. Still, hope springs eternal.

• Love 1

Who else here is pissed that it takes them forever to announce premiere dates? Like Broadchurch is already airing in the UK and still we have no idea when it will come to this channel. Almost every other spring show has had their premiere date announced but not this one. It took them forever to decide on premiere dates for Doctor Who and Class and Planet Earth II.

• Love 3

BBC has terrible promotions and publicity, and it's a problem because their schedule is so irregular. Not uncommon for them to unceremoniously dump two or three episodes of a show in one night. They also have stopped running shows mid-run and banished the remainder to on-demand or website. 

We didn't get new Graham Norton episodes last year for months and it was impossible to find an explanation.

• Love 3

They're also airing far less UK based shows and some of the ones they bring over are already canceled after the first season across the pond.

If it weren't for Orphan Black and Broadchurch's final seasons, Doctor Who, Class (which we still don't know if it's renewed), the Graham Norton Show and Planet Earth II I wouldn't be watching anything on the channel.

• Love 3

Why the flipping hell is BBCA running Veronica Mars?

Honestly, the only thing I even watch on the network anymore is Doctor Who re-runs.  Well, and Broadchurch since season 3 is much better than that crap season 2.

It's not that long ago that I was watching BBC America for 2 or 3 hours every night...back when the programming was British: BBC World News (several times a day! They reported international news that no one else reported), Changing Rooms, Brilliant!, Dr. Who, The League of Gentlemen, Graham Norton, Ground Force, and so on.

Then they started changing to American programs, Dr. Who gave me a doctor I didn't care for, and they dropped the BBC World News. Now that frickin' PBS has a more solid commitment to showing British programs than BBCA, I haven't watched in well over a year. Occasionally I'll check the channel guide, but it's always a big nothing.

• Love 5

How many British shows does the channel actually show?  I can only think of Top Gear, Dr Who and Graham Norton Show.  That's a pretty sad showing especially since there's probably a ton of old shows they could use to fill the non-primetime hours.  I guess that depends on how willing BBC is to license their programs but I thought BBC America was essentially owned by BBC.

• Love 1

I'm not sure what the ownership breaks down but I think AMC is the major owner of BBCA.  

I loved this channel when it first started - contemporary sitcoms, short series, and of course EastEnders on Saturday afternoons.

A few years ago they started showing QI for a few weeks, and then stopped. Too bad, I quite liked it.

I am wondering if they are thinking viewers are getting their Brit fix via Britbox (I subscribe to get Corrie Street and EastEnders) although this drop-off of British programming began years ago when they started showing American Dancing with the Stars reruns.

On ‎07‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 10:48 AM, Matt K said:

How many British shows does the channel actually show?  I can only think of Top Gear, Dr Who and Graham Norton Show.  That's a pretty sad showing especially since there's probably a ton of old shows they could use to fill the non-primetime hours.  I guess that depends on how willing BBC is to license their programs but I thought BBC America was essentially owned by BBC.

Damned few.  I'm beginning to think that, after Peter Capaldi's final Doctor Who at Christmas, if there's a cheaper level of Directv, I'm dropping down to it, even if it doesn't have BBC America.  'Cause there won't be anything I'll want to watch anymore.

• Love 2

I just looked at this network's schedule. It is mostly Star Trek now, with a few episodes of Planet Earth thrown in here and there. The only thing from England seems to be Graham Norton. What a damn joke of a network.

• Love 6

Fascinating, thanks! I do have Britbox, and that's great that QI will be on it! I wonder if this means Graham Norton will be on Britbox? (I think that's a Freemantle production.) 

With less and less British shows on BBCA and the presence of Britbox I wonder if BBCA's days are numbered.

I like it very much. It’s very strong if you like British soaps. I got into “Coronation Street”on Hulu a few years ago and then Hulu dropped it, so I was thrilled to be able to watch it again here (Hulu has since returned it, on a delay.) The also have Eastenders and other shows. Also very good for mysteries. And they have Prime Minister Question Hour and the BBC News. And Classic Doctor Who for the nostalgic of us.

My one wish would be for more contemporaneous British shows but they may be limited if they have distribution deals in the US for later runs.

But I’m very happy about QI. BBC America ran it a few summers ago but in true BBCA form, the schedule varied from week to week and they burned off a bunch of episodes one afternoon. Hulu had QI but stopped updating it.

• Love 2

Thanks for letting me know your thoughts. Right now I'm getting some ITV and BBC mysteries through the PBS streaming service and the news through BBC Worldwide. I'd love to get more of the BBC's non-fiction programming, though.

The new season of QI finally began yesterday, by the way, and it looks like it's already up on Britbox.

Alas BBC Am is now RRC Am, the Reject Renur Channel. Now I don't mind some Star Trek (NG & Voyager) & 1 day of X Files would be somewhat okay, but 3 days of Nat Geo crud, even with Eggs Cucumberpatch narrating it's still  boring as hell. What happened to make a once good channel so cruddy? BritBox may have something to do with it but I can't believe it's the only reason. Moronic top management is I suspect the reason for this decline. Guess they want us all to go BritBox...

• Love 3

Well, new Doctor Who episodes are supposedly coming soon.  

But yeah, what’s up with airing all of these Star Trek and X-Files episodes? (and I like these shows too)

I can’t deal with those Planet Earth shows either.   

On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 7:04 PM, Cobb Salad said:

But yeah, what’s up with airing all of these Star Trek and X-Files episodes? (and I like these shows too)

There's a ton of British shows from the 70s that they could be showing that haven't been seen in the US since PBS ran them at that time, from "Good Neighbors" to "No, Honestly", from "Reginald Perrin" to "Glittering Prizes". I could go on.

• Love 3
On 7/27/2018 at 9:17 AM, Tom Holmberg said:

There's a ton of British shows from the 70s that they could be showing that haven't been seen in the US since PBS ran them at that time, from "Good Neighbors" to "No, Honestly", from "Reginald Perrin" to "Glittering Prizes". I could go on.

They could even go for My Hero considering superheroes are all the rage right now.  That said BBCA doesn't seem all that interested in half hour comedies.

• Love 2

bbc america sucks. end of story. graham norton, excellent, a coupe of other specials once in a while. excellent. otherwise it is "shite"! i am so disgusted and disappointed. being one of the lonely few left behind by technology in my one horse town, i have cell tower, limited and expensive internet, i can't watch tv via anything but direct tv. what a  lot of hype and no substance this channel is. shameful.

• Love 5

BBC America has been showing Star Trek the original series all day.  They’re showing the best of Spock episodes along with comments from someone who is seeing it for the first time (why are they doing this???) and has an annoying voice. 

I bring this up because they’ve also shown some of the movies, not one of them is Star Trek First Contact which would be appropriate because today is First Contact Day!

23 hours ago, Cobb Salad said:

They’re showing the best of Spock episodes along with comments from someone who is seeing it for the first time (why are they doing this???) and has an annoying voice. 

Do they at least have a British accent?

@Tom Holmberg

Yes they both have British accents.  

I have no idea why the original Star Trek is on BBC America either since the closest any of the cast comes to a UK affiliation are William Shatner and James Doohan, both Canadians.  

Also another annoying thing was their comments in the pop up boxes appearing through the episodes and the movie. 

Going back to not showing First Contact, at least that one stars Patrick Stewart.  

18 hours ago, Cobb Salad said:

Also another annoying thing was their comments in the pop up boxes appearing through the episodes and the movie.

How very 90s. It was annoying then (MST3K being the exception), it's annoying now.

• Love 1

Discovery is running a great BBC show "The Repair Shop".  Very Calm and relaxing.  I have to wonder why BBC American doesn't run this British show  instead of "Star Trek"?

Edited by Tom Holmberg
58 minutes ago, Tom Holmberg said:

Discovery is running a great BBC show "The Repair Shop".  Very Calm and relaxing.  I have to wonder why BBC American does run this British show  instead of "Star Trek"?

I used to watch this show when it was on Netflix and love it! So thrilled to see it on BBC America! I follow the show on IG. 

33 minutes ago, Spunkygal said:

I used to watch this show when it was on Netflix and love it! So thrilled to see it on BBC America! I follow the show on IG. 

BBC America "doesn't" run the show (it's on Discovery).  That's what I was complaining about.  I'm sure there's plenty of new or old British shows they could be running rather than "Star Trek." 

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, Tom Holmberg said:

BBC America "doesn't" run the show (it's on Discovery).  That's what I was complaining about.  I'm sure there's plenty of new or old British shows they could be running rather than "Star Trek." 

Oh you are correct! I record it and really paid no notice to what channel it is on. Thanks for the correction!