Type keyword(s) to search

BBC America

• Start Topic

I was so excited when my cable company started carrying BBC.  I absolutely adore all things British, and was looking forward to Brit-coms, British dramas, cooking shows, etc.  Imagine my surprise when I find Kitchen Nightmares (the US version), and Star Trek!  It seems like 1 out of 10 shows are actually British, what the hell?  Once in a while I will find Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares, and it is a wonderful show!  I REALLY do not want to watch the US version for the umpteenth time! GAH.

• Love 3

I used to love discovering British shows on BBC America. It's where I found out about The Office, My Family, and Gavin & Stacey. After watching them on cable and then later buying them on DVD, I found out that BBC America was editing these episodes in order to fit into a 30-minute time slot with commercials. I became annoyed at this and basically gave up on the channel...until I heard about a show called Orphan Black. Now, that's the only thing I ever watch on there.

• Love 1
It seems like 1 out of 10 shows are actually British, what the hell?

The recent paradigm on BBC America is "productions made anywhere (US or UK primarily) but starring British performers."  Hence TNG and the new Galactica.  There's also more episodes of Ramsey's shows based in America, so they get more longevity by using both series.  The biggest exception in recent years was The Nerdist series of specials.  But Hardwick's a big Anglophile and a gigantic Doctor Who fan, so it made some sense.

And of course, even from the beginning, BBC America wasn't just airing shows from the BBC.  They've always had ITV programs as well.

Edited by SVNBob
  • Love 1

I too was happy when I finally got BBC America, mainly for Doctor Who. It's one of the channels I check when looking for something to watch but am always disappointed to find endless reruns of Kitchen Nightmare, Top Gear and Star Trek:TNG. A family member has mentioned interest in getting cable for BBC America (to see the British produced shows) and I've had to explain it's not what you think it is, you're going to be disappointed.

• Love 1

Check out Acorn TV if you want to watch British TV shows: http://acorn.tv/featured

Hulu+ also has a number of British shows.

I watch way more PBS (some markets—not mine!—have entire UK-only channels) & Ovation than BBC America these days.

Sundance just ran The Honourable Woman—although they insisted on dropping the "u." IFC has The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret

Edited to say that starting tonight (Oct. 28), HBO Comedy is showing the Warwick Davis mockumentary Life's Too Short weeknights at 7 & 7:30 p.m. HBO has lots of British series on demand.

Edited by editorgrrl

For you fellow geeks, BBC America is going to start showing QI on the 19th, starting with the J series and presumably following it with L. I don't think they'll be broadcasting the XL versions.

I kind of wish they would just start with A, since I, J, and K are already on Hulu and it'd be fun to go back to the beginning.

I remember the days when BBC America filled the daytime with shows like Cash in the Attic. I've liked their recent attempts at original dramas, if not their Top Gear spinoffs (e.g. Richard Hammond's Crash Course) and I'm all for them bringing over any current dramas not already on PBS. Plus fresh episodes of Masterchef Professionals would be terrific. 

• Love 6

Check out Acorn TV if you want to watch British TV shows: http://acorn.tv/featured

I've got an Acorn subscription so I can watch the shows on my PC and via my Roku.  There is also an app for the iPhone/iPad (unfortunately, not for Android).

Hulu+ also has a number of British shows.

I received my best Christmas gift ever last year: an Acorn TV subscription! I have watched almost every day, binge-watched on Crime shows, Court procedurals, and Medical shows.  I love it!

For you fellow geeks, BBC America is going to start showing QI on the 19th, starting with the J series and presumably following it with L. I don't think they'll be broadcasting the XL versions.

I kind of wish they would just start with A, since I, J, and K are already on Hulu and it'd be fun to go back to the beginning.

They're probably using the newer series to see if there really is an American audience for QI.  And if they determine there is, they'll do what they did with Top Gear and work their way back toward the beginning.

• Love 2

I am so irritated that they took The Graham Norton Show off the air. The show was in the middle of their 16th season and they couldn't just finish it out. I'm also sick of the constant reruns and Top Gear being on all the time.

• Love 5

Is that what happened to Graham Norton?  I thought it was just off temporarily.

Having accidentally tuned in QI last night, I'd say it's not likely there's an American audience for it.  We recognized all the comedians as what we think of as "the third person on the couch" on Graham Norton.  The jokes weren't very funny and they seemed to laugh at each other more than necessary.

What I have been watching is Million Dollar Critic with Giles Corrigan and it's pretty good.

• Love 3

I stumbled across QI late last week, which I've always wanted to watch (and didn't realize was on Hulu, thanks for that tip!) and found it quite enjoyable.  I didn't recognize any of the comedians, but I laughed quite a bit, and my boyfriend, who is far less of an anglophile than I am, actually walked in from work and sat down to watch with me.  I was annoyed when, at the end of a 3 episode J block, I went looking through the next 4 or 5 days, and saw only those 3 episodes airing again a few times.  Bring me more variety, BBCA!

• Love 3

Having accidentally tuned in QI last night, I'd say it's not likely there's an American audience for it.  We recognized all the comedians as what we think of as "the third person on the couch" on Graham Norton.  The jokes weren't very funny and they seemed to laugh at each other more than necessary.

What I have been watching is Million Dollar Critic with Giles Corrigan and it's pretty good.

I understand where you're coming from with the "third person" thought. I've been watching the show from the beginning and together with Have I Got News for You, I feel like I've gotten to know this group of UK comedians/comedic actors fairly well. So the show features lots of Phill Jupitus, who hilariously always flirts with Stephen to throw him off; John Sessions; Bill Bailey; Clive Anderson (Whose Line Is It Anyway?) and Giles' brother-in-law David Mitchell, whose angry rants used to be much more hilarious. The earlier seasons are stronger, in large part, because the participants had fewer expectations and the production team was less cutesy. It really was about subverting generally accepted 'facts' and geeking out over the unexpected conclusions.

Trying to think of introductory episodes that are entertaining, there are the ones with Emma Thompson, Trevor Noah, or Daniel Radcliffe. Personally I like it when they bring in accomplished nerds like Ben Miller.

The BBC has posted a bunch of official clips over the years. There are also clips under the BBC Worldwide banner, organized by season.

One of the running gags over the course of the show is 'how many moons does the earth have,' whose answer continually changes.

I've only caught the Providence episode of Corrigan's show and I'm undecided so far. Something about speaking directly to the audience while in the restaurants threw me off. I may also just be more used to the energy of his sister Victoria.

• Love 1

I stumbled across QI late last week, which I've always wanted to watch (and didn't realize was on Hulu, thanks for that tip!) and found it quite enjoyable.  I didn't recognize any of the comedians, but I laughed quite a bit, and my boyfriend, who is far less of an anglophile than I am, actually walked in from work and sat down to watch with me.  I was annoyed when, at the end of a 3 episode J block, I went looking through the next 4 or 5 days, and saw only those 3 episodes airing again a few times.  Bring me more variety, BBCA!

There are lots and lots of QI episodes on YouTube.

• Love 2

I've got this set up on my dvr with a season pass, and I'm enjoying it so far. Last night had an episode with John Sessions, whom I haven't seen since his Whose Line Is It Anyway? days, and he was unrecognizable to me!  When did he get old? (And, correspondingly, OMG, when did I get old???).

• Love 2

I understand where you're coming from with the "third person" thought. I've been watching the show from the beginning and together with Have I Got News for You, I feel like I've gotten to know this group of UK comedians/comedic actors fairly well. So the show features lots of

, who hilariously always flirts with Stephen to throw him off; John Sessions; Bill Bailey; Clive Anderson (Whose Line Is It Anyway?) and Giles' brother-in-law David Mitchell, whose
used to be much more hilarious. The earlier seasons are stronger, in large part, because the participants had fewer expectations and the production team was less cutesy. It really was about subverting generally accepted 'facts' and geeking out over the unexpected conclusions.

Trying to think of introductory episodes that are entertaining, there are the ones with Emma Thompson,

or Daniel Radcliffe. Personally I like it when they bring in accomplished nerds like Ben Miller.

The BBC has posted a bunch of official clips over the years. There are also clips under the BBC Worldwide banner, organized by season.

One of the running gags over the course of the show is 'how many moons does the earth have,' whose answer continually changes.

I've only caught the Providence episode of Corrigan's show and I'm undecided so far. Something about speaking directly to the audience while in the restaurants threw me off. I may also just be more used to the energy of his sister Victoria.

Um, it's Giles Coren who's the Million Dollar Critic. I sort of like the show, but I'm always too aware with this sort of thing how fakey the set up is, with the whole camera crew in the restaurant while he is trying to come across as an ordinary critic.

• Love 2

Noted, thanks. I had rushed a reply to another post which had also misnamed him. Funny that I would get his name wrong but never his sister. Maybe it's reflective of my ambivalence to his show.

For future reference, text in quoted posts can be edited down to avoid republishing all of my babble. (chuckle)

I am so irritated that they took The Graham Norton Show off the air. The show was in the middle of their 16th season and they couldn't just finish it out. I'm also sick of the constant reruns and Top Gear being on all the time.

I'm seeing promos for it again on BBCA. I think it's back this weekend.

• Love 1

I loved the US QI, never got very far on the British one which is odd as its usually the other way around. 

Will we ever just be able to pay to watch all the British tv they have?  Sigh

AMC Networks now owns 49.9% of BBC America; BBC Worldwide retains the other 50.1%. According to the October 23, 2014, press release, BBC America is "managed as a standalone channel within the AMC Networks portfolio, which includes AMC, IFC, WE tv, and SundanceTV."

That probably explains why it sucks now.  (Said as someone who's been watching BBC America for more than a decade now.)  It used to run a variety of British dramas, comedies, and reality-type shows, and the variety is what made it good.  If you didn't like the Office, they had several other comedies to watch; same goes for their dramas, home-and-garden shows, food-related shows, etc.  Now it's all re-runs of Top Gear (which I love, but not over and over and over), Gordon Ramsay's American show, and ST:NG.  There are times when I long for re-runs of Footballers' Wives, ffs!  (Although admittedly that show was fun in a totally cheesy way.)

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 3

I think that most of the terrific British shows I watch on AcornTV are produced by ITV and Sky.  So far I haven't noticed any BBC shows.

I do think that the UK gets royally shafted by BBC "license".  It's outrageous!

I think that most of the terrific British shows I watch on AcornTV are produced by ITV and Sky.  So far I haven't noticed any BBC shows.

BBC America broadcasts non-BBC shows. For example, Broadchurch is produced by ITV.

• Love 2

Yeah, BBC America has always aired non-BBC programming, for at least the ten or so years I've been receiving the channel anyway.

Remember when BBCA tried airing their own newscast?  It only lasted for about ten seconds.  Guess it went the way of Hollyoaks, Eastenders and other low rated broadcasts.

• Love 2

I do think that the UK gets royally shafted by BBC "license".  It's outrageous!

As a Brit, I can say that I genuinely don't mind paying the license. It means no adverts and generally a much better quality of programme than the rest of the channels - sports coverage included. I can put up with £12 a month if it means I get a channel that's better than ITV.

• Love 4
(edited)

I just was looking at the onscreen guide and it looks like BBCA is bringing back Cash in the Attic. I noticed it's on at 6 & 7 am EDT at least the next couple of weeks. It says the shows are from 2012 but I don't know if I've seen them or not. I don't think it's been on at least 2 years maybe even longer.

ETA: well I was up early enough to see the second episode this am and it was a new-to-me episode. It looks like they brought Lorna back as the presenter and her hair was as bad as ever.

Edited by HelenBaby
  • Love 1

2012 was the final season (series) of Cash in the Attic.

‘Luther’ Returns to BBC America in 2015

‘Doctor Who’: Peter Capaldi to Make San Diego Comic-Con Debut

Start assembling your Twelfth Doctor cosplay: the TARDIS will soon land at San Diego Comic-Con.

BBC AMERICA has announced that Doctor Who is returning to the convention’s massive Hall H for a panel on Thursday, July 9, with star Peter Capaldi making his SDCC debut. Jenna Coleman (Clara), Michelle Gomez (Missy), lead writer and executive producer Steven Moffat, and executive producer Brian Minchin are set to join him onstage.

The panel will start the countdown to Season Nine of the critically acclaimed series, which will kick off this fall with a two-part premiere episode, “The Magician’s Apprentice” and “The Witch’s Familiar,” both penned by the Emmy-winning Moffat.

(edited)

I'm not sure if I'm posting in the correct thread, but has anyone watched Hotel Babylon? I just started and I'm really enjoying this silly, soapy show. It's akin to a summer beach read.

Eta: I'm watching it on Hulu. If anyone can suggest other shows that are in a similar genre as this one, I'd love to hear about them.

Edited by Shelby
On ‎01‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 10:06 AM, Popples said:

Why in the name of fuck is BBC America airing episodes of Portlandia? As much as I'm annoyed by all the Star Trek episodes, at least Patrick Stewart is English.

I miss the days when BBC America ran actual British scripted shows.  I mean, some of them were crap, but at least they were full of British actors.

• Love 3
(edited)

I truly miss watching the news on BBC America. They covered international news that just does not get covered by anyone else on TV in this country, and by precious few sources that aren't on TV as well. The BBC News on PBS is a poor substitute.

Edited by Sandman87
  • Love 5

Yeah, I don't know why it was necessary to stop the early morning simulcast. Maybe there's a lot of crossover between households with BBCA and BBC World News. If you don't have BBCW, it may be worth listening to the World Service on NPR or the daily podcasts. There's also CNN International, which I haven't gotten in years, but is available for online streaming and I suspect still superior to CNN domestic.

• Love 1
On ‎05‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 5:12 PM, maraleia said:

It helps to remember that BBC America is a part of the AMC Networks that includes AMC, IFC, Sundance and WE TV.

To understand why it's now a crap channel?

If I still had to pay extra for the level of programming on Directv which includes BBC America, I'd have dropped it a couple of years ago.  I love Top Gear, but the endless repeats wouldn't have been worth the extra money, and I've found almost nothing else on the channel worth watching.

• Love 1

I truly miss watching the news on BBC America.

Same here.  Between that and Al Jazeera America going off the air, I am quite bummed about my TV news options.  If PBS NewsHour disappears, I'll be lost.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, WertherEffekt said:

I wish we could just get licenses to watch BBC iPlayer online, if not via an app.

It's too bad that the global version of iPlayer, which has been discontinued, wasn't feasible in the US. $10/month seems reasonable enough to support the TV and radio shows.

• Love 2

I just found out today that BBC America isn't going to be airing the third and final season of The Musketeers at all - they have sold the exclusive rights to Hulu (paid Hulu, not free Hulu) for all three seasons.  That's the only way those of us in the US are going to be able to see it.  WHY?   Fuck you BBC America.

A lot of the British shows BBC America would have picked up in the past are going to Hulu and other streaming sites.  It's a shame what BBC America is nowadays.

I see BBCA has started airing the original Star Trek series.  I guess it makes as much sense to air that as any of the other series and American movies that fill up their airwaves.

• Love 1
On June 12, 2016 at 11:23 AM, ratgirlagogo said:

Fuck you BBC America.

Because it's worth saying again.

Ripper Street's season was screened with no repeats, at 3 in the afternoon/my time.  So they could squeeze in a few more screenings of Silence of the Lambs on prime time, I guess.

• Love 2