Type keyword(s) to search

Funny things people say and do only on culinary TV

Kromm
  • Start Topic

Giselle, on 19 Jan 2016 - 3:12 PM, said:

Habit? Maybe from the time they worked under a known chef and this was a way of linking themselves to greatness? I don't know, it's just a guess.

You're probably right, but I am always reminded of the more pretentious "royal we".

As walnutqueen would say : "We are not amused".

• Love 3

Also too with all the separate components of a dish in a restaurant maybe it was a way of including everyone who had a hand in making the dish. From the guy chopping veg and basic prepping, those making the sauces and/or preparing cooked or more complicated components for the kitchen for the night.

• Love 1

I think it's a way of indicating that you speak for your restaurant?

Yeah, but you see asshats do it when it's just clearly for themselves too. I mean they're not representing anyone else on Top Chef (when some of them aren't even otherwise employed) are they?

It's just a form of pretentiousness that's made it's way into things--I think in part due to shows like this. People see other people do it on the shows and absorb it. 

I actually think that ultimately it came from Servers and not Chefs (which is why it's doubly puzzling when Chefs do it). Servers don't have any real role in the food, so when they put a plate down in front of a patron they HAVE to speak of the food in terms of the whole restaurant. But a Chef made it. Okay well often several cooks made parts of it and the Chef is claiming all of it, so maybe that's part of it too, since it's doubtful if a Chef is handing out plates himself he's going to say "Jose made the greens, Ramon made the mash, Pablo made the Chops and I plated it". But of course on Top Chef there ARE no line cooks doing it all, so really the Chef ought to be properly speaking for himself for a change.

• Love 1

I always interpret that as something shared between diner and server/chef/restaurant.  "What you and I have together here."  It's just a customer service phrase, really.

• Love 3

Don't forget "just a little play on"

As in:  "What we've made for you today is just a little play on eggs benedict, with a little bit of pork belly sous vide with a little bunch of crunchy fried chives on top and a little sherry vinegar sriracha beet gastric.  Enjoy."

• Love 4

Just once I would love to hear a chef say "with a ton of" or "with plenty of". It's always, always "a little" this and "a little bit of" that.

Agree, and I love your board name even though I hate tofu.  A friend and I have designated tofu dishes on menus "NoFu."

Don't forget "just a little play on"

As in:  "What we've made for you today is just a little play on eggs benedict, with a little bit of pork belly sous vide with a little bunch of crunchy fried chives on top and a little sherry vinegar sriracha beet gastric.  Enjoy."

I don't think the word "little" is a default part of that "play on" portion though the way it is for when they talk about the ingredients. I suppose it's extra irritating if they add it there too though.

I'd love to know when the fashionable acid puddle went from being a coulis or a balsamic reduction to being a gastrique (not that there's a hell of a lot of difference between a balsamic reduction and a gastrique).

Oh, watching the latest Top Chef episode I just noticed how often the phrase "a nice..." is used. It's kind of like you can take the phrases "a little". "a nice" and "a play on" and mix-and-match them into different arrangements, and you have 75% of the food presentation speeches made on this show.

• Love 1

Just once I would love to hear a chef say "with a ton of" or "with plenty of". It's always, always "a little" this and "a little bit of" that.

"What we have is my take on a pork ragout with eggplant and heirloom tomato base, and a shitload of shredded romano to complement the texture..."
  • Love 3

Using fancy terms to describe something very basic. The word capaccio when describing a vegetable, cucumber capaccio. As opposed to sautéed cucumber !?  

ETA.  I just looked that up and it doesn't mean raw, it is specifically raw beef! They use it for anything raw and thinly sliced!  

car·pac·cio

kärˈpäCH(ē)ō/

noun

an Italian hors d'oeuvre consisting of thin slices of raw beef or fish served with a sauce.

Edited by wings707

I have mentioned this before and look forward to it.  That being the strange way they hold their forks and Padma taking a taste off the end of her knife.  I watch for this; a little game for myself that I enjoy.  

• Love 1
On 1/19/2016 at 3:36 PM, Julia said:

I think it's a way of indicating that you speak for your restaurant?

On 1/19/2016 at 3:32 PM, Giselle said:

Also too with all the separate components of a dish in a restaurant maybe it was a way of including everyone who had a hand in making the dish. From the guy chopping veg and basic prepping, those making the sauces and/or preparing cooked or more complicated components for the kitchen for the night.

Yes to both. I don't work in food service, but in my creative field we were taught always to say "we" not "I" in presentations (even when I is accurate). Usually there are others who employ, support, or collaborate with you so there is usually a we somewhere. Definitely in a restaurant. And even if there isn't a we, some feel it is still poor form to say I. Allegedly it sounds self-important or indicates you don't play well with others.

It became so ingrained after a while I had a hard time saying I even when it truly was all me. On TC when they do literally everything, my guess is the habit is sticky and we is what comes out naturally.

• Love 1