Type keyword(s) to search

Bethenny Frankel: Skinny Girl

• Start Topic

Film, I earlier asked you some direct questions about your views in orderived to have a better idea on what your point has been and you declined to answer, so I apologize for not understanding if you do or don't think the tshirts are bad or that bethenny is doing is right or wrong at this point. She's gathering g funds for a legit charity that has oversite. I'm not seeing the problem.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, ZoloftBlob said:

Film, I earlier asked you some direct questions about your views in orderived to have a better idea on what your point has been and you declined to answer, so I apologize for not understanding if you do or don't think the tshirts are bad or that bethenny is doing is right or wrong at this point. She's gathering g funds for a legit charity that has oversite. I'm not seeing the problem.

I thought I answered your questions in this post:

2 HOURS AGO, ZOLOFTBLOB SAID:

But you do or don't support people donating to Bstrong, filmnoire? That what I am unclear on,  do you think Bethenny has done something wrong in gearing her charity towards assisting Harvey victims? I have definitely gotten the impression, and correct me if I am wrong, that you believe Bethenny should not mention her charity and is wrong to do so and should only be mentioning the Red Cross. Do you think she should have just shut her mouth and done nothing, and would you praise her for it? Or does she specifically need to endorse one of your charities of choice in order to not be an awful person? Is she doing wrong, in your opinion?

It's not up to me to support/endorse what people do or don't do with their donations -- we're all free to give/not give where we see fit  - and (for me) it's less about right or wrong vs being effective in a crisis. Concerning Frankel specifically, I think she should have donated a check, drummed up donations to a large relief org that already knows how to do what she's trying to figure out (frex, how to get donated goods to Texas).  Basically, I wish she'd done what she did during Sandy (gave a 50K check personally to the RC, SkinnyGirl matched that, and SG donated thousands of nutrition bars to the RC to hand out in NJ. And if she doesn't believe in the RC anymore, fair enough, pick another major relief org). When even the charity (DFS) that will receive B Strong's donations is asking people (on their website) to give money first to the Red Cross, and to think of DFS down the road, I'm not sure why she didn't follow their lead.  

And (I'm aware people don't agree) I do think the t-shirts are an awful idea, both financially (one third of the donation is going to produce the t-shirt) and execution (centering her charity/hashtag slogan more than Harvey victims) and just merching a disaster overall (for all the reasons I've said before, which I won't bore anybody by repeating now :) 

And for the record, it's not just Frankel/ bad faith on my part, I think any celeb w/o experience doing this should be questioned, because in a disaster zone,  it's like somebody is having a heart attack, and there are professionals in the crowd who know how to do CPR, and celebs who don't -- who do you want to try and help you? A celeb still figuring out how to mobilize relief donations like water and food,  or the professional who already delivered that relief days ago?

Edited by film noire
  • Love 6
45 minutes ago, Jextella said:

...  I find it in poor taste for celebs to encourage people to give to their own charity. It's like asking for attention for themselves first, and attention for the charity second.   

I think of it as a celebrity taking the attention they normally get and using it to make people aware of a good cause.

1 hour ago, film noire said:

You're racing to work, you see that t-shirt,  and  = ??  Maybe you look it up, maybe it's one more piece of flotsam in the info stream you immediately forget (as you answer texts on that handheld device :)

You're racing to work,  you see a "Hurricane Harvey /#thisisacrisis " t-shirt = you know what that is, right away - and maybe it reminds you to donate. (eta: and again, I'm not a fan of merching disasters, but that is the one big benefit I think people doing it can claim -- but if the messaging in unclear, the benefit is erased.)

Personally, I think a more nuanced message on a T-shirt is preferable to a big ol' glaring announcement to the world that "I GAVE TO HURRICANE HARVEY VICTIMS AND THEY GAVE ME THIS T-SHIRT."   What is the expression suddenly being used by so many posters here lately?  "Tacky as hell?"  Yeah, that.  Not my style. And not likely to make me want to donate, either.  

I would much prefer something a bit more subtle that a person could ask me about if they were interested ... that is if I were the type of person to go around advertising that I had donated to a charity in the first place. I actually don't think most people are, and nick-knacks given in exchange for a donation typically end up donated to the Goodwill pretty fast, themselves.  Which makes me think this whole t-shirt issue is just another pool of lukewarm tea in the bottom of a cracked cup, lol.  

What's it gonna be next?  She used the wrong font? 

Edited by Celia Rubenstein
  • Love 15
23 minutes ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

Which makes me think this whole t-shirt issue is just another pool of lukewarm tea in the bottom of a cracked cup, lol.  

It's not lukewarm tea for me, it's a pretty hot beverage :)  

I have a genuine problem with anybody merching disasters - to me, they feel  like a diminishment of something bigger than a t-shirt or a key chain - but I get that other people genuinely have no problem with it, and will buy Bethenny's t-shirt without any issue. So it's more of a difference of opinion between them and me, not a manufactured one.

Edited by film noire
clarity!
  • Love 5

Bethenny raised $130,000 for charity?  Self serving bitch!

ikr?

4 hours ago, KungFuBunny said:

21294467_482227768826647_669820698223234

bethennyfrankelWe are #workingforyoutexas. Pre-order your #THISISACRISIS shirt now at the link in my bio ❤️ 100% of the profits go to support women and families impacted by #HurricaneHarvey.
Donate to #BStrong at bethenny.com/bstrong. For questions email: BStrong@bethenny.com

• Love 6
18 minutes ago, film noire said:

It's not lukewarm tea for me, it's a pretty hot beverage :)  I have a problem with anybody merching disasters -- to me, they feel  like a diminishment of something bigger than a t-shirt or a key chain 

I don't get how someone raising all this money for charity can be an issue that gets anyone hot.  

And can we correct the notion that Bethenny is "merching" a disaster.  Because she isn't.  Not when she is donating 100% of the profits to the cause and not charging a dime for her time.  

It's called FUNDRAISING.

• Love 10
15 minutes ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

I don't get how someone raising all this money for charity can be an issue that gets anyone hot.  

I'm not getting hot about anybody "raising money for charity", but about the t-shirt (or key chains/hats/whatever) side of disasters, regardless of who does it.  It troubles me   -- and  I  hope I've explained why it doesn't sit well -- but if I haven't, you are free to believe I'm just doing whatever "lukewarm tea in a cracked cup" means. 

• Love 3

And can we correct the notion that Bethenny is "merching" a disaster.  Because she isn't.  Not when she is donating 100% of the profits to the cause and not charging a dime for her time.  

Well, so far they have made $130K...lets hope they can raise even more.

Tee shirts raise money too.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, Bronzedog said:

Bethenny raised $130,000 for charity?  Self serving bitch!

I'm sure her "generosity" was rewarded with thousands of hits to her website.   She's gettin' tons out of this deal.

I work in the nonprofit world.   The concept of "giving" can be a little gray.  

Giving away certain things in exchange for donations is not uncommon, but less so for human health and services efforts.  Join NPR and you get a mug or some such thing in return.   Donate to a local womens shelter and likely you'll get nothing in return.

With NPR, it's a two-way street.  Listeners get a service.  They pay for it by way of donations and are rewarded with a mug.  The amount of the donation I can deduct is reduced by the market value of whatever it is I get in return, i.e. the mug.....or so says the IRS, anyway (this is a simplication of the rules for example purposes only; there are tons of rules and financial thresholds involved).   

Donating to a woman's shelter is a one-way street.  For me, I'l never use it.  My donation would be a gift whereas my donation to NPR is both a gift and an exchange of goods and services.

For the issue at hand, Hurricane Harvey disaster relief, my personal preference is giving to give - not giving to get. 

Bethenny does come off as self-serving with this effort, IMO.  Even if she didn't intend for that to be the case.

Oh, and I wonder who is paying for the material and production of the t-shirts?  Unless those are donated, my donation in return for a t-shirt has less value than it would if I donated the same amount directly to the Red Cross and received nothing but a thank you letter in return.  

Edited by Jextella
  • Love 7

I find something oddly wrong with selling a tshirt with the hashtag this is a crisis when if it is a crisis, and it is, then why don't you just donate money to help alleviate the crisis.  Why would getting something in return entice you, as others have stated.  Isn't it about the people who are going through the crisis?  And meantime, people are boasting about ordering their tshirt on Beth's twitter?  Just write a check if you really care about the crisis. 

I also don't understand why people should donate to Be Strong or DFS when it seems from reading here that donations are going to the Red Cross.  Maybe someone can clarify.

And yes, I totally agree with Jextella with this coming off as totally self serving.  JMO.

• Love 5

So, there is actually a really good reason financially to do the generic #thisisacrisis t-shirt instead of one advertising specifically Hurricane Harvey. She is using this hashtag across her charity which allows her to place a bulk order for these t-shirts. The more t-shirts you order, the more the price drives down. For example, you know those $5 flag tees that Old Navy sells?  It costs them $1.40 to make those tees. However, if she did just a run of 500 shirts that were specific to Harvey, the price would go up significantly (probably around $7 a tee since it is a 1 color print job) and then she would be stuck with leftover t-shirts. By using one generic design, she can reuse it for multiple purposes which will drive down the overall cost. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, diadochokinesis said:

By using one generic design, she can reuse it for multiple purposes which will drive down the overall cost. 

As much as I dislike how Frankel has gone about doing this,  I think she's using the hashtagged t-shirt as a vehicle for visibility for her charity, but not as a vehicle to avoid unsold shirts /cost (that's a Ramona play :) And it's a pre-order t-shirt, so they know the order amount before jumping in.

Edited by film noire
brevity! finally got there!
  • Love 1

I'm sure her "generosity" was rewarded with thousands of hits to her website.   She's gettin' tons out of this deal.

So is her charity, which is what matters in the long run.

Bethenny does come off as self-serving with this effort, IMO

She comes off as someone who wants to build and expand her charity, and use it to help as many people as she can, IMO.

Unfortunately, some people are going to believe Bethenny has some nefarious motive for everything she does.

Yup.

By using one generic design, she can reuse it for multiple purposes which will drive down the overall cost. 

Yup again.

16 hours ago, KungFuBunny said:

21294467_482227768826647_669820698223234

bethennyfrankelWe are #workingforyoutexas. Pre-order your #THISISACRISIS shirt now at the link in my bio ❤️ 100% of the profits go to support women and families impacted by #HurricaneHarvey.
Donate to #BStrong at bethenny.com/bstrong. For questions email: BStrong@bethenny.com

• Love 6
10 hours ago, Bronzedog said:

Unfortunately, some people are going to believe Bethenny has some nefarious motive for everything she does.  I'm just not one of them.  Now, if we were talking about Vicki Gunderson from RHOC, I'd totally agree.

IMO, Bethenny's heart is in the right place, she is trying to do some good here but like a lot of things in her life, she goes for it before thinking things through. Bethenny goes by her gut instinct and in this case, she put the cart before the horse and then had to scramble to figure out the logistics after people started questioning her about how she, B Strong/DFS were going to use/distribute the money donated for HH/Texas. 

• Love 1

Anyone who has ever started and run a charity has to learn through trial and error. If they didn't, charities wouldn't survive in the long run.

Edited by BBHN
  • Love 8

image_grande.jpg?v=1504403514

image_6fdea121-ab19-4c97-9cc9-e7996b5477

Preorder: This Is A Crisis T-Shirt by BStrong

$ 17.50 USD Size

Small Medium Large Extra Large

This is reality: Women coming together is a stronger force than a hurricane. Since Hurricane Harvey brutally battered Texas, B Strong has raised more than $200,000 in donations, with 100 PERCENT of those proceeds going directly to women and their families in need. Likewise, the total profits from your purchase of a #ThisIsACrisis t-shirt will immediately be utilized for emergency aid and supplies distributed in the Houston Area through B Strong and Dress For Success. Thank you so much for doing what you can to provide relief to those who desperately need it right now. This is a crisis...but we will overcome together.

This Is A Crisis T-Shirts will start shipping on 9/8. Please be patient as we do our part to help those affected by Hurricane Harvey.

*no coupon codes permitted on this item

• Love 6

Breezy, giving a tshirt in exchange for a donation is a pretty common practice. The aspca does it. So does St. Jude's Children's Hospital (or maybe a fleecy blanket this year?) The Dragon con blood drive had free t-shirts as well. The reality is that people tend to balk at just straight giving but if you have a little incentive like a tshirt or a free mug (PBS likes free mugs) then more people tend to open their wallets. Like someone outlined above, the cost of the trinket can be pretty minimal so by offering a token you get more donations and the people can wave the tokens around, thinking they "got something" for their donation.

• Love 10
8 minutes ago, ZoloftBlob said:

Breezy, giving a tshirt in exchange for a donation is a pretty common practice. The aspca does it. So does St. Jude's Children's Hospital (or maybe a fleecy blanket this year?) The Dragon con blood drive had free t-shirts as well. The reality is that people tend to balk at just straight giving but if you have a little incentive like a tshirt or a free mug (PBS likes free mugs) then more people tend to open their wallets. Like someone outlined above, the cost of the trinket can be pretty minimal so by offering a token you get more donations and the people can wave the tokens around, thinking they "got something" for their donation.

Yes, I have seen other charities give incentive gifts for a donation before, just not for natural disaster help donations. As much as Bethenny is claiming it is for victims of HH/Texas, it is only for a small percentage of those affected, women/their families already a part of DFS, not for everyone hit/hurt by HH. IMO, this early in the recovery of the hurricanes aftermath, it is questionable to limit who you help but as always, YMMV.  

• Love 5

As much as Bethenny is claiming it is for victims of HH/Texas, it is only for a small percentage of those affected, women/their families already a part of DFS, not for everyone hit/hurt by HH. IMO, this early in the recovery of the hurricanes aftermath, it is questionable to limit who you help but as always, YMMV.  

You should check out some of the Facebook live and twitter live that she does.  This isn't correct.  Perhaps at one point it was but it's been updated based on the goods and services that are being donated by corporations through BStrong.  She answers a lot of those types of questions

• Love 6

First off, @BBHN , I only need to see Chris Evans douse himself in water.  Repeatedly. Like, a lot. 

Second on the limiting herself and not addressing the immediate need...  I forget where I read it because it was awhile ago for a different disaster but they talked about how people always give in at the beginning of the crisis and all these charities flood in but 99% of them don't stick around. So, a couple of weeks after the disaster strikes, everybody leaves and that is really when these people need the help. They are getting into their homes and realizing they lost everything. They are struggling with finding ways to restart their life. I lived in Atlanta and we had a ton of the Katrina victims right after it happened. So, I'm not going to judge B for focusing on a need that isn't necessarily immediate because the need is still there after the initial recovery efforts.

• Love 8
52 minutes ago, QuinnM said:

You should check out some of the Facebook live and twitter live that she does.  This isn't correct.  Perhaps at one point it was but it's been updated based on the goods and services that are being donated by corporations through BStrong.  She answers a lot of those types of questions

I went to her FB account and listened to her answer questions (she was live this past Wednesday) and it sounded like she is asking corporations (her partners) to donate needed items for everyone but she also says that the money she has already raised will be used for the DFS locations impacted by HH. So, it sounds like she is doing both by mainly raising funds for DFS while helping other companies to donate products to everyone. I am glad she is doing that but again, the money isn't going to go to the general public affected by HH. I just wish she would be clearer about this, once again, she ran with her gut instinct without thinking things through which has caused a lot of confusion. Most people don't have the time to monitor her SM accounts to learn the details and will donate elsewhere (hopefully).

32 minutes ago, diadochokinesis said:

First off, @BBHN , I only need to see Chris Evans douse himself in water.  Repeatedly. Like, a lot. 

Second on the limiting herself and not addressing the immediate need...  I forget where I read it because it was awhile ago for a different disaster but they talked about how people always give in at the beginning of the crisis and all these charities flood in but 99% of them don't stick around. So, a couple of weeks after the disaster strikes, everybody leaves and that is really when these people need the help. They are getting into their homes and realizing they lost everything. They are struggling with finding ways to restart their life. I lived in Atlanta and we had a ton of the Katrina victims right after it happened. So, I'm not going to judge B for focusing on a need that isn't necessarily immediate because the need is still there after the initial recovery efforts.

Yes, people in crisis need immediate help and may also need long term help, something that charities need to address and plan for when money is initially donated, they need to make those dollars stretch as much as possible. If Bethenny is looking to help HH victims further down the road, she needs to be clear about that now. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, WireWrap said:

I went to her FB account and listened to her answer questions (she was live this past Wednesday) and it sounded like she is asking corporations (her partners) to donate needed items for everyone but she also says that the money she has already raised will be used for the DFS locations impacted by HH. So, it sounds like she is doing both by mainly raising funds for DFS while helping other companies to donate products to everyone. 

That's what I understood from what she said as well -- $$ is going to DFS (rebuilding the affiliate and helping the local chapter of women in the Professional Women's Group) and donated goods (the whole cargo plane thing) are for anyone in need, not just PWG members.  

• Love 1
On 9/2/2017 at 10:47 PM, zoeysmom said:

I don't think it is right or wrong situation it is more of a why donate to her charity to have her turn it over to the American Red Cross?  Leonardo DCaprio donated $1 million dollars through his charitable foundation to the United Way Harvey Fund who has promised 100% of the donations will go to the victims and not administrative costs.  DiCaprio is urging others to follow his lead and donate directly to the United Way Harvey Fund. Not his foundation.  http://people.com/celebrity/leonardo-dicaprio-makes-1-million-donation-to-hurricane-harvey-victims/

If she has the pull and wants to voice her support of the relief efforts have the money go straight to the charity, not insert herself in the middle.  

Through social media Bethenny has expressed certain needs for the victims (rain boots, socks, etc) and then thanked the various companies that have donated the same.  I don't think Bethenny realizes she no longer has a talk show.  It feels a little opportunistic.  Here is a true disaster/tragedy and Bethenny and her charity seem to want to insert herself in the forefront.  It is unfortunate Dress for Success headquarters in Corpus Christi was destroyed and this is just me, I think the focus should be on the agencies that are first responders to get in there and find people relief-not rebuilding a charity, whose main goal was originally to help women entering or re-entering the job market to get help with dressing and interview skills.  The new wrinkle seems to be the Bethenny or has she now claims to be "B" wanting to add another level to a charity who was pretty successful with their intended goal.  What I always like and supported with Dress for Success was working women could feel like they were making a difference by donating "gently used" business suits and appropriate clothing.  

A lot of people won't give to The United Way. In the 90's the president of United Way was found guilty of diverting charitable funds for his own use including a teenage girlfriend. Other top executives were also found guilty of stealing funds. The United Way was also guilty of using deceitful accounting to increase the amount of money that ended up at charities. Just because a charity is big and well known doesn't mean they are the best way to give. 

• Love 12

When we were in the Army, there was a huge drive every year to give to the United Way. We always did until we found out about the nefarious activities of the executives. We were horrified and furious. Rather than buy a Tshirt or any other product, donate directly to a reputable charity--Salvation Army, JJWatts Charity, American Veterinary Medical Association that always has a fund to help save and relocate animals displaced during natural disasters, any verified charity. Why go through a middle man (or woman)? We always donate anonymously. I don't need a Tshirt, hat, blanket to show that I've been helpful or generous. 

• Love 9
9 minutes ago, Gam2 said:

When we were in the Army, there was a huge drive every year to give to the United Way. We always did until we found out about the nefarious activities of the executives. We were horrified and furious. Rather than buy a Tshirt or any other product, donate directly to a reputable charity--Salvation Army, JJWatts Charity, American Veterinary Medical Association that always has a fund to help save and relocate animals displaced during natural disasters, any verified charity. Why go through a middle man (or woman)? We always donate anonymously. I don't need a Tshirt, hat, blanket to show that I've been helpful or generous. 

Most non-celebrities donate "anonymously" because seriously, who in the public cares about John/Jane Q. Public?  If your donation is truly anonymous, that means you cannot claim it on your taxes, which is unfortunate.  Sure it's nice to give without thinking about a tax break, but all the billionaires are making money hand over fist for their charity contributions, why shouldn't I?

When I was in a better financial place, I easily donated ten percent of my income.  My online banking had all my charities lined up - Food Bank, Shelter, ASPCA, Humane Society of the U.S., St. Jude's, Alley Cat Allies, AAVS, etc.  And while I didn't need any gift in return, those calendars hang on my walls for 12 months, and those blankets last for years, and they are tangible reminders of that charity to each and every person who enters my home.  It's free advertising for the charity, and if it didn't bring in more money, there's no way these reputable, long-term charities would be sending them out.  And like it or not, when a celebrity endorses a charity, it draws more money.  I remember all the garbage that Oprah took by publicizing her donations, yet donations to the charity would jump when her fans followed-suit.

• Love 9

Different strokes for different folks. You can still claim a tax deduction by donating directly. And I doubt that billionaires are making money hand over fist for charitable donations. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Gam2 said:

Why go through a middle man (or woman)?

And some places offer the option of paying a bit more to cover admin costs (all of three percent covered mine - and then all of the donation itself  went to the animal shelter - no waste involved.) 

Edited by film noire
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, RedheadZombie said:

When I was in a better financial place, I easily donated ten percent of my income.  My online banking had all my charities lined up - Food Bank, Shelter, ASPCA, Humane Society of the U.S., St. Jude's, Alley Cat Allies, AAVS, etc.  

I admire people who make it part of their routine (I'm nowhere near as good about it, but a few years ago, I started asking family and friends to give donations to charities at Xmas as my gift, and every gift I've received has delighted me -- I even got an elephant from mr film noire, through the Sheldrick Wildlife trust -- they send emails with updates on your elephant's progress - so fun).

23 minutes ago, Gam2 said:

But why pay extra when you don't need to? I don't care how you spend your money but you can donate directly and save your 3%. 

I did donate directly (online) but the shelter has an option to add that small amount to cover any admin costs -- you can also choose to not pay that.

Edited by film noire
  • Love 6

We also donate regularly to certain charities but also to special ones. For Christmas one year, I asked my siblings to make a donation to the World War Two Memorial in DC in honor of our father in lieu of any Christmas gifts. We all donated more than we would have spent on gifts for each other. We've given to St. Jude's Hospital in gratitude for all  of our healthy children. I think we all contribute what we can in honor of our loved ones, in memory of our loved ones and to help in natural disasters. Everyone does what they can when they can as we should as we are able. That's the last I'll say on this subject.

• Love 7
5 hours ago, Gam2 said:

For Christmas one year, I asked my siblings to make a donation to the World War Two Memorial in DC in honor of our father in lieu of any Christmas gifts. We all donated more than we would have spent on gifts for each other.

That's about as perfect an Xmas gift as you can get, Gam2.

• Love 4

I just wish she would be clearer about this, once again, she ran with her gut instinct without thinking things through which has caused a lot of confusion. Most people don't have the time to monitor her SM accounts to learn the details and will donate elsewhere (hopefully).

I didn't find it that confusing. Hundreds of thousands of dollars were raised, which, kudos to her. Which means more than a few people must have been motoring her SM accounts to learn the details.

If Bethenny is looking to help HH victims further down the road, she needs to be clear about that now. 

She was clear about it, especially in the beginning. If nothing, it was clear to me and to others on here.

Why go through a middle man (or woman)? We always donate anonymously. I don't need a Tshirt, hat, blanket to show that I've been helpful or generous. 

Why not? Some people might be more comfortable that way. If in the end it leads to people who might not have donated in the past to begin donating, where is the harm or foul or injustice?

I don't care how you spend your money

If people didn't care, I don't think there would have been 3 pages devoted to discussing Beth's charity...which in the end, is raising money and supplies, which is what charity is all about.

19 hours ago, KungFuBunny said:

image_grande.jpg?v=1504403514

image_6fdea121-ab19-4c97-9cc9-e7996b5477

Preorder: This Is A Crisis T-Shirt by BStrong

$ 17.50 USD Size

Small Medium Large Extra Large

This is reality: Women coming together is a stronger force than a hurricane. Since Hurricane Harvey brutally battered Texas, B Strong has raised more than $200,000 in donations, with 100 PERCENT of those proceeds going directly to women and their families in need. Likewise, the total profits from your purchase of a #ThisIsACrisis t-shirt will immediately be utilized for emergency aid and supplies distributed in the Houston Area through B Strong and Dress For Success. Thank you so much for doing what you can to provide relief to those who desperately need it right now. This is a crisis...but we will overcome together.

This Is A Crisis T-Shirts will start shipping on 9/8. Please be patient as we do our part to help those affected by Hurricane Harvey.

*no coupon codes permitted on this item

Edited by BBHN
  • Love 6

Yeah, gotta be honest, if people didn't care how other people spent their money, there would be complete silence on the topic of the t-shirts and how Bethenny needs to account for where every last dime goes... I mean, if I donate 18 bucks and get a t-shirt, I'm good and with any charity, there has to be a certain amount of trust.

• Love 9

Using #thisisacrisis makes it feel like it's part of a media campaign roll-out.

My first thought upon seeing her with the hashtag was "Yeah, that face is quite the crisis" (the pic spam isn't a help), and then I assumed it was her usual exaggerating about some "ordeal" of hers.

Edited by jaync
  • Love 2

Sometimes a t-shirt is just a t-shirt.  If people donate because they want a piece of her celebrity OK.  They are still donating and that is just fine with me.  I like Bethenny and have made no secret of it.  But even if this was someone I didn't like--maybe Ramona--I still wouldn't get too upset about her hawking a t-shirt to attract donations.  In fact  I am right now trying to come up with just the right slogan for Ramona's t-shirt.  Maybe a white-wine glass with stylized $$$ at the bottom and floating down the side with the hashtag #filltheglass and on the back 'MoanerCoaster Productions for Hurricane Harvey.'  Whatevs.  People need help so who cares how the help that arrives gets there?

• Love 6
18 hours ago, ZoloftBlob said:

Yeah, gotta be honest, if people didn't care how other people spent their money, there would be complete silence on the topic of the t-shirts and how Bethenny needs to account for where every last dime goes...

I think people have been criticizing how Bethenny has gone about raising money via t-shirts, not anybody making a donation by purchasing one.

And doesn't every charity have to account for where every last dime goes?  -- I don't think that's being unfair to Bethenny Frankel,  when every charitable org from the RC to a local shelter has to do the same.

8 hours ago, quaintirene said:

Maybe a white-wine glass with stylized $$$ at the bottom and floating down the side with the hashtag #filltheglass 

Ha!

#thisisnotaholemill  

Edited by film noire
  • Love 5

I think people have been criticizing how Bethenny has gone about raising money via t-shirts, not anybody making a donation by purchasing one.

Here we go.

Why go through a middle man (or woman)? We always donate anonymously. I don't need a Tshirt, hat, blanket to show that I've been helpful or generous. 

That's pretty critical.

• Love 9
9 hours ago, quaintirene said:

Sometimes a t-shirt is just a t-shirt.  If people donate because they want a piece of her celebrity OK.  They are still donating and that is just fine with me.  I like Bethenny and have made no secret of it.  But even if this was someone I didn't like--maybe Ramona--I still wouldn't get too upset about her hawking a t-shirt to attract donations.  In fact  I am right now trying to come up with just the right slogan for Ramona's t-shirt.  Maybe a white-wine glass with stylized $$$ at the bottom and floating down the side with the hashtag #filltheglass and on the back 'MoanerCoaster Productions for Hurricane Harvey.'  Whatevs.  People need help so who cares how the help that arrives gets there?

Hah!  I'd much rather have it be super obvious and campy like "MoanerCoaster Productions for Hurricane Harvey".  I might donate to get that shirt (although only with an additional gift-free donation made to the Red Cross).

All this talk reminds me of my son who refused to wear ANY logo'd clothing ever since he was in elementary school.  I asked him why and he said he didn't want to be a walking billboard (he's feisty like that which I LOVE).

• Love 5
24 minutes ago, Jextella said:

I asked him why and he said he didn't want to be a walking billboard (he's feisty like that which I LOVE).

Bless the boys who walk their own path  --  hopefully, they will inherit the earth ; )

And "Turtle time" has to figure into Ramona's fundraising somehow.

Edited by film noire
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, film noire said:

And doesn't every charity have to account for where every last dime goes?  -- I don't think that's being unfair to Bethenny Frankel,  when every charitable org from the RC to a local shelter has to do the same.

The difference is other charities are required to make an accounting of where every last dime goes after they have distributed those dimes.

Bethenny is being required to explain where every dime is going to go in advance. Specifically.  Every last detail.  Where it's going, when it's going, who is getting it, and what it will be used to buy. 

Other charities are not held to such demanding standards ahead of time the way hers is.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

The difference is other charities are required to make an accounting of where every last dime goes after they have distributed those dimes.

Bethenny is being required to explain where every dime is going to go in advance. Specifically.  Every last detail.  Where it's going, when it's going, who is getting it, and what it will be used to buy. 

Other charities are not held to such demanding standards ahead of time the way hers is.

She only has herself to blame for that, she was very unclear about everything from the start. I think people had/have a right to know if the money they are donating to any charity for victims of a natural disaster is actually going there to help all victims, not just a select %. According to Bethenny, any money donated will go to her B Strong, which will in turn go to DFS members, not the general public, affected by HH.

• Love 1

I think people had/have a right to know if the money they are donating to any charity for victims of a natural disaster is actually going there to help all victims, not just a select %. According to Bethenny, any money donated will go to her B Strong, which will in turn go to DFS members, not the general public, affected by HH.

If you're uncomfortable with that then stop giving Bethenny your charity dollars. It's really that simple.

And to be honest, I don't understand your position on "a select %" - a lot of charities designate certain types of victims to be the beneficiary of the charity dollars. St. Jude's for example expressly states the charity is for child victims of cancer, not the general public. 

Edited by ZoloftBlob
  • Love 10