Type keyword(s) to search

Bethenny Frankel: Skinny Girl

• Start Topic

People tag a gazillion people on blast Instagram posts literally all day long - famous people do it, regular old people do it. It's seriously not a big deal. I have a team that runs a pretty big Instagram account and they are tagged maybe 25 times a day by randoms and not so randoms. No one cares. No one.

Anyway, yeah. Good for her for doing something and for taking the time to make sure that she's explaining what they're doing with the money. It's all sorely needed.

• Love 11
52 minutes ago, Otherkate said:

and they are tagged maybe 25 times a day by randoms and not so randoms. No one cares. No one.

Yep, the tagging (alone) isn't an issue.

I noticed Frankel picked up on the angle People magazine ran with yesterday  -- fundraising as a Housewives thing -- she ran with that today and it's a much smarter move than trying to get big celebs (many with charities of their own) to give money to her charity, imo. She might even be able to tap into NBC funding/corporate giving/money using Bravo/housewives as a vehicle as well. 

Edited by film noire

Well, call me what you want, but I think it's incredibly tacky to hashtag people when you are trying to raise money for 'your' charity.  I don't have a problem with someone privately requesting money but when you call them out publicly?  Not so much.  It's like Keven Hart calling on celebrities to equal his donation of $25,000 but he's not calling them out to donate to 'his' cause. 

Then we have Sandra Bullock donating a million and I don't recall her calling out anyone (I may be wrong) = real class.

Beth is small potatoes in the celebrity world but she would like to see herself as being 'important'.  She's just not that by comparison to the ones she thinks she is equal to.  

• Love 4

t's like Keven Hart calling on celebrities to equal his donation of $25,000 but he's not calling them out to donate to 'his' cause. 

He did.  Most of the sports figures did as well.  It's how they all made such a difference for ALS with the ice bucket challenge.  It's social media and people get social.

• Love 7
On 9/2/2017 at 0:26 AM, QuinnM said:

He did.  Most of the sports figures did as well.  It's how they all made such a difference for ALS with the ice bucket challenge.  It's social media and people get social.

He didn't cite a specific charity like Beth did - hers.  And that's the difference IMO. 

I think ALS is totally different in that none of the sports figures cited 'their' charity for ALS.  Again, that's the difference between them and BF.

I have no problem with people supporting a cause.  There's a difference between supporting a cause and 'your' specific named foundation or whatever.  MMV and that's what my problem is with Beth hashtaging people. 

Edited by breezy424
  • Love 3

but I think it's incredibly tacky to hashtag people

I don't find it tacky at all.

It's how they all made such a difference for ALS with the ice bucket challenge.  It's social media and people get social.

Yep.

• Love 5
12 hours ago, breezy424 said:

I have no problem with people supporting a cause.  There's a difference between supporting a cause and 'your' specific named foundation or whatever.  

Yeah, I agree that drumming up money for the victims of a disaster is different than drumming it up for your charity (whoever does it). 

And I wish somebody had suggested to Frankel that she do something other than sell t-shirts reading #thisisacrisis. I'm not a fan of selling t-shirts in support of the victims of a disaster anyway (the tchotkes at ground zero were hard to take) but that -- as Tim Gunn would say -- is a taste level thing. But at least use something about Texas itself (the Texas map with a heart for Houston, Rockport and Beaumont, or "We got you, Texas", or the yellow rose of Texas within a heart, etc) or anything other than your own social media hashtag.  Using #thisisacrisis makes it feel like it's part of a media campaign roll-out.

Edited by film noire
  • Love 10

And I wish somebody had suggested to Frankel that she do something other than sell t-shirts reading #thisisacrisis

Who cares, as long as it raises money. At the end of the day, that's what really matters.

Edited by BBHN
  • Love 12
19 minutes ago, BBHN said:

Who cares, as long as it raises money. At the end of the day, that's what really matters.

IMO, film noire's T shirt ideas would sell better, therefore raising more money, which is the end goal, to raise as much money as possible.

• Love 5

People know what the charity is for, and why it is being done, I doubt the design of the tee-shirt itself is going to make a huge difference to the people donating. And if it does, I wonder what that says about the person buying the tee-shirt.

"Oooh, pretty design! I guess I will go ahead and donate now! Screw the people suffering, I needs mah cute tee-shirt!"

Edited by BBHN
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, WireWrap said:

IMO, film noire's T shirt ideas would sell better, therefore raising more money, which is the end goal, to raise as much money as possible.

Thank you, WW  -- the one argument that almost shuts up my distaste (again, personal reaction) to any kind of merchandising of a disaster is that it can be a visual prompt as people move through their life -- it's like having walking signboards everywhere, reminding people of something important. But for everyone not following Frankel, that t-shirt could be promoting anything from a sci fi network program rollout, to a meme trying to go viral  -- something directly about Texas makes it immediately crystal clear.

Edited by film noire
  • Love 5
8 minutes ago, film noire said:

But for everyone not following Frankel, that t-shirt could be promoting anything from a sci fi network program rollout, to a meme trying to go viral  -- something directly about Texas makes it crystal clear.

On the plus side it's not SkinnyGirl red.

• Love 7

As if people needed reminding of what is happening in Texas now...

People could be curious about what the hashtag is about and moved to research it. If only most people carried with them small handheld devices that allowed them to connect to the internet...

• Love 10
2 hours ago, film noire said:

Thank you, WW  -- the one argument that almost shuts up my distaste (again, personal reaction) to any kind of merchandising of a disaster is that it can be a visual prompt as people move through their life -- it's like having walking signboards everywhere, reminding people of something important. But for everyone not following Frankel, that t-shirt could be promoting anything from a sci fi network program rollout, to a meme trying to go viral  -- something directly about Texas makes it immediately crystal clear.

I can appreciate that Bethenny is using her brand to bring raise money for Harvey victims.  Her wearing a t-shirt with #thisisacrisis is hard to take, selling them even tackier.  This is a woman who regularly is so hyperbolic in her speech when I saw the photo I thought it was a description of one of her latest life crises-which is a apparently a basil cell carcinoma she had removed from her face.  Similarly wearing a t-shirt with #getoffmyjock, or #zerofucks is just straight out of the jackasses' handbook.   Of course I noticed the back of the shirt is branded with her charity B Strong-doesn't seem to mention Harvey.   If this is her attempting tag line or attempting to brand the tragedy it is in poor taste.  It was nice of her to raise and donate $200k to the cause.  

From my perspective, as I ran errands this past week, in my home state of California, with wildfires a burning, virtually every major store at a point of purchase window to donate to the American Red Cross, specifically for Harvey.  It doesn't say Whole Foods Charitable Foundation is soliciting donations to remit to the American Red Cross-it just goes to the American Red Cross-they don't have to stop and take a bow in between.  I mention Whole Foods but it was at literally every big retailer in the area.  Just a note if anyone is moved to donate money to the Harvey disaster, be sure if you donate through the American Red Cross, you specify Harvey if donating locally, otherwise the local chapter may keep the money.  Obviously local chapters need money to stay up and running and sometimes people are unaware they should specify if their intention is for a specific disaster.  

As to #hashtagging someone, Harvey isn't exactly an event that needs awareness.  It kind of puts people on the spot when they are included-especially without their consent.

• Love 5

So are ALL people hash tagging Harvey gross and tacky like Bethenny? Or is it just Bethenny?

Wirewrap, at the end of the day, while it's lovely that film noire had an idea you prefer, it's actually Bethenny out there hawking her lesser t-shirts for charity. I'll take the idea that's actually bringing money in to help people all day long.

I hope other charity efforts face this level of scrutiny.

• Love 9
9 minutes ago, Rap541 said:

So are ALL people hash tagging Harvey gross and tacky like Bethenny? Or is it just Bethenny?

Wirewrap, at the end of the day, while it's lovely that film noire had an idea you prefer, it's actually Bethenny out there hawking her lesser t-shirts for charity. I'll take the idea that's actually bringing money in to help people all day long.

I hope other charity efforts face this level of scrutiny.

I like that Bethenny is doing something but IMO, she didn't put a lot of thought into it. She just threw something together but did so without thinking it through. As for the hash tag debate, that is about her hash tagging individual A list celebs/top political women challenging them to donate money, instead of just calling out everyone that follows her on SM to donate what they can, large or small. 

Also, why didn't she just ask people to donate to the RC instead of her B Strong, which then sends the money to a second charity, who in turn then sends that money on to the RC? Why not just ask for donations to the RC directly so that the money is put to use as fast as possible? 

Again, I applaud that Bethenny is doing something but she needed to think this through. She had to go on her SM to answer questions, questions very similar to the ones film noire and others have asked here, about where the donations would go/how they would be used. 

• Love 3

Why is asking people to donate to her charity wrong?

the Red Cross is lovely, should all charities run by celebrities now say "but first donate to the RC, the RC is more worthy than my charity?" 

Or just Bethenny?

Bethenny has been perfectly willing to address questions about her charity - so basically, people expressed a concern, and she used her social media to answer those questions so again, what's the complaint and why is Bethenny getting the "I applaud her but everything she's done is wrong, even when she directly addresses earlier concerns, isn't it just awful that Bethenny's tshirts aren't precisely on point, how awful that people might somehow be slightly confused?" treatment?

Has she actually done anything wrong?

• Love 15
18 minutes ago, ZoloftBlob said:

the Red Cross is lovely, should all charities run by celebrities now say "but first donate to the RC, the RC is more worthy than my charity?" 

Or just Bethenny?

Bethenny has been perfectly willing to address questions about her charity - so basically, people expressed a concern, and she used her social media to answer those questions so again, what's the complaint and why is Bethenny getting the "I applaud her but everything she's done is wrong, even when she directly addresses earlier concerns, isn't it just awful that Bethenny's tshirts aren't precisely on point, how awful that people might somehow be slightly confused?" treatment?

From what I gathered, the money donated to B Strong for Texas will go to the RC, which slows down the money getting to those in need because it goes through 2 other charities before it gets to the RC. 

Yes, Bethenny was more than willing to answer questions about the Texas donations but that was because she was unclear about where/what/how that money would be spent to begin with. 

All I am saying that is I wish she had put a bit more thought into this before she started asking for donations. 

• Love 3
9 hours ago, ZoloftBlob said:

isn't it just awful that Bethenny's tshirts aren't precisely on point, how awful that people might somehow be slightly confused?" treatment?

Not sure if you're including me in that description of people's reactions, but -- just in case you are and I was unclear -- any merching of disaster feels weird to me, but if you're going to do it, the one benefit I think you can claim is that a t-shirt can highlight an idea/issue, but only if it's very clear what the issue is. I don't think that shirt/hashtag (thisisacrisis) says "Give to Harvey victims" when you see it, and people often don't bother chasing down info  - or even register info - if it doesn't immediately register/catch their interest. 

For anyone who doesn't have an issue with merching disaster -- or whether the message is clear, unclear, whatever -  mileage clearly varies.

Edited by film noire
friggin vocab
  • Love 4

In fairness, if people don't chase down the info on the hashtag they decide to donate to, isn't that kinda on them? It seems pretty clear, if one takes minimal steps, to gain the knowledge needed to know whether one feels ok with donating. If one doesn't bother... how is that the fault of the organization?

Sorry, but I deal with this all day long at work. People are supposed to be capable of making thinking decisions. All the information on Bethenny and Bethenny's charity is available. If people are donating without looking into the charity, that's kinda on them.

My issue with the t-shirts is that your t-shirt that makes more sense etc etc etc is not actually something that you or anyone else is making (as yet) while Bethenny's lesser, apparently unacceptable t-shirt at least has the possiblity of generating sales and therefore money for hurricane victims. It might be a poor idea (I actually think she's going with the #thisisacrisis idea so that they can use it with other events, i.e. Looking more long term) but it's still more likely to bring in charity dollars than a product no one is selling.

• Love 7
24 minutes ago, ZoloftBlob said:

Or just Bethenny?

I don't think it is right or wrong situation it is more of a why donate to her charity to have her turn it over to the American Red Cross?  Leonardo DCaprio donated $1 million dollars through his charitable foundation to the United Way Harvey Fund who has promised 100% of the donations will go to the victims and not administrative costs.  DiCaprio is urging others to follow his lead and donate directly to the United Way Harvey Fund. Not his foundation.  http://people.com/celebrity/leonardo-dicaprio-makes-1-million-donation-to-hurricane-harvey-victims/

If she has the pull and wants to voice her support of the relief efforts have the money go straight to the charity, not insert herself in the middle.  

Through social media Bethenny has expressed certain needs for the victims (rain boots, socks, etc) and then thanked the various companies that have donated the same.  I don't think Bethenny realizes she no longer has a talk show.  It feels a little opportunistic.  Here is a true disaster/tragedy and Bethenny and her charity seem to want to insert herself in the forefront.  It is unfortunate Dress for Success headquarters in Corpus Christi was destroyed and this is just me, I think the focus should be on the agencies that are first responders to get in there and find people relief-not rebuilding a charity, whose main goal was originally to help women entering or re-entering the job market to get help with dressing and interview skills.  The new wrinkle seems to be the Bethenny or has she now claims to be "B" wanting to add another level to a charity who was pretty successful with their intended goal.  What I always like and supported with Dress for Success was working women could feel like they were making a difference by donating "gently used" business suits and appropriate clothing.  Not all working stiffs can afford to write a $100.00 check or even a $25.00 check but they might very well have clothing they can donate-that doesn't end up in a thrift store for vintage shoppers or seeing your clothing end up on the local hooker stroll.  It made women in our office feel good.

Most of all I think B could have accomplished the same with tweets instead of making yet again a big deal about some boo-boo she had on her face by doing a video.  A moron would tell her to stay out of the sun-there is no such thing as 100% protection.  Swimsuit models do not spend as much beach and pool time as B does.  It reminded me of her cook out photo where we all got a peek at her bandage after her "major" life threatening, emotional breakdown  surgery for fibroids,  Everything in B's life is not an opportunity to raise awareness.  Add to the equation Tamra Judge trumped her this week with both a squamous cancer and melanoma-both very serious cancers.  Basal cell carcinoma not so much.  Argh. . . this woman is exhausting.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, ZoloftBlob said:

In fairness, if people don't chase down the info on the hashtag they decide to donate to, isn't that kinda on them? 

Oh, absolutely  -  I'm talking more about getting them to donate to begin with, and/or spreading visibility about an issue by making your message clear (which is the only value, to me,  in merching disaster -- highlighting a cause). Make the cause clear and my gut rejection doesn't exactly subside, but if something worthy is getting attention, and anyone wearing that t-shirt is helping with visibility, it feels less strange to me (and this is not limited to Bethenny, btw, it's across the board.)

(I actually think she's going with the #thisisacrisis idea so that they can use it with other events, i.e. Looking more long term) 

I agree she's using it as a long term slogan (for want of a better way to put it) for her charity. I think she could have made Harvey clear, while also including that.

Edited by film noire
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, ZoloftBlob said:

My issue with the t-shirts is that your t-shirt that makes more sense etc etc etc is not actually something that you or anyone else is making (as yet) 

I think there's already several t-shirts out there with a clear message connecting them to Harvey -- here's a vetted list Houston ABC tv compiled (with lots of other merch as well. I hate this stuff,  but I have to say, the onesie, to benefit the Texas diaper bank, is sweet and smart):

http://abc13.com/shopping/shop-for-a-cause---share-your-texas-pride-and-give-back-/2362888/

Edited by film noire
too friggin' long
  • Love 2

Her wearing a t-shirt with #thisisacrisis is hard to take, selling them even tackier. 

She is helping people and raising money. Nothing tacky about that.

Just that latter, I am assuming.

it's actually Bethenny out there hawking her lesser t-shirts for charity. I'll take the idea that's actually bringing money in to help people all day long.

Amen.

that is about her hash tagging individual A list celebs/top political women challenging them to donate money, instead of just calling out everyone that follows her on SM to donate what they can, large or small. 

She didn't hash tag them she just tagged them, which is smart marketing, since it'll hopefully get some of their followers notice and reach a wider audience.

Her posting that is a way to call out the people who follow her because they will look up the links she provided and (hopefully) donate as well. That's how social media works...

It shouldn't be, really, regardless of who is asking.

And she has so far raised more than she set out to, which, good for her.

Sorry, but I deal with this all day long at work. People are supposed to be capable of making thinking decisions. All the information on Bethenny and Bethenny's charity is available. If people are donating without looking into the charity, that's kinda on them.

So very true.

• Love 8
29 minutes ago, Jel said:

At the end of the day, isn't criticism of Harvey fundraising efforts better directed at those HWs who aren't doing anything, over the ones who are?  

Maybe, except that we don't always know which HWs are donating to any 1 charity and which ones aren't. Had it not for Bethenny giving Tinsley a shout out about her donation, we wouldn't have known she donated anything to anyone. Not all HWs feel the need to post about their charitable giving's and never have, some just do it without needing public acknowledgement. 

• Love 2

Not all HWs feel the need to post about their charitable giving's and never have, some just do it without needing public acknowledgement. 

Man, I so disagree with this.  I don't know a single housewife that wouldn't want a shout out for good bowel movement much less a charitable donation.

Now, Ramona got a shout out.  Dorinda and Luann got one yesterday.  I could have missed Sonja since I've been busy living a life.

• Love 15

At the end of the day, isn't criticism of Harvey fundraising efforts better directed at those HWs who aren't doing anything, over the ones who are?  

giphy.gif

Not all HWs feel the need to post about their charitable giving's and never have, some just do it without needing public acknowledgement. 

There is a difference between giving to a charity and running a charity. If you don't get the word out about your charity, good luck raising funds and awareness for that charity.

• Love 11

21294467_482227768826647_669820698223234

bethennyfrankelWe are #workingforyoutexas. Pre-order your #THISISACRISIS shirt now at the link in my bio ❤️ 100% of the profits go to support women and families impacted by #HurricaneHarvey.
Donate to #BStrong at bethenny.com/bstrong. For questions email: BStrong@bethenny.com

• Love 9
3 hours ago, QuinnM said:

Man, I so disagree with this.  I don't know a single housewife that wouldn't want a shout out for good bowel movement much less a charitable donation.

Now, Ramona got a shout out.  Dorinda and Luann got one yesterday.  I could have missed Sonja since I've been busy living a life.

Who let everyone know that Ramona, Dorinda and Luann gave a donation? Did they share this info on SM or did someone, say Bethenny, share it because they gave to her charity? Someone else giving them a shoutout does not equate to them doing it themselves. LOL

• Love 2

The rest of the NY crew used social media to promote larger relief orgs (the Red Cross for Luann, Ramona, Sonja, and the Humane Society for Carole). I'm sure there are plenty of people who disagree with both those choices (and maybe that's happening on their own threads?) I have no problem with the RC or the Humane Society being chosen (I get that many people are horrified/angry at resources going to save animal companions when children are also in danger - I don't agree, but I get it).

Edited by film noire
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, KungFuBunny said:

bethennyfrankelWe are #workingforyoutexas. Pre-order your #THISISACRISIS shirt now at the link in my bio ❤️ 100% of the profits go to support women and families impacted by #HurricaneHarvey.
Donate to #BStrong at bethenny.com/bstrong. For questions email: BStrong@bethenny.com

• Love 3

Reality Tea is applauding Beth's efforts big time:

Say what you will about Bethenny Frankel, but she knows how to get sh*t done. The Real Housewives Of New York star has sprung into action since the devastation of Hurricane Harvey hit Houston and its surrounding areas, rallying business, volunteers, and donations through her organization, B Strong.

So far, Bethenny’s efforts – largely spread through social media outreach – have recruited two hundred volunteers, $80k in donations, and thousands of supplies for disaster relief to those affected by the tragedy. Bethenny has also pledged, herself, to travel to Houston to aid in distribution of gift cards and organize outreach. Her fundraising efforts are geared toward women and families in crisis...

After only one day of fundraising, B Strong raised an additional $50k. Bethenny later posted a video describing how to donate. She shared, “100 PERCENT of the donations we are raising go to women and families in need in the Houston area." ... Bethenny, her staff, and the B Strong organization will not be dipping into any of the funds to reimburse their own time and work...

Bethenny had also been lining up volunteers to distribute the goods, which she will organize and oversee. “We have over 200 volunteers lined up,” Bethenny tweeted just hours ago, in response to one follower wondering how supplies will reach the people of Texas.

Well, Bethenny, all I can say is BRAVO!

It is nice to see a site that is often so critical of all the housewives is willing to put aside the snark for a few minutes in order to deliver some much-deserved praise for one of them doing some good for others.  I especially like the part noting Beth's use of social media to accomplish things.  No shade, no questioning her motivation ... just a straightforward pat on the back for a job well done. 

She deserves it! 

Edited by Celia Rubenstein
  • Love 17

But you do or don't support people donating to Bstrong, filmnoire? That what I am unclear on,  do you think Bethenny has done something wrong in gearing her charity towards assisting Harvey victims? I have definitely gotten the impression, and correct me if I am wrong, that you believe Bethenny should not mention her charity and is wrong to do so and should only be mentioning the Red Cross. Do you think she should have just shut her mouth and done nothing, and would you praise her for it? Or does she specifically need to endorse one of your charities of choice in order to not be an awful person? Is she doing wrong, in your opinion?

• Love 6
10 minutes ago, ZoloftBlob said:

But you do or don't support people donating to Bstrong, filmnoire? That what I am unclear on,  do you think Bethenny has done something wrong in gearing her charity towards assisting Harvey victims? I have definitely gotten the impression, and correct me if I am wrong, that you believe Bethenny should not mention her charity and is wrong to do so and should only be mentioning the Red Cross. 

What I want to know is who is to say that the money Bethenny has collected would have necessarily been donated to the Red Cross in particular, or donated to any charity at all for that matter .... it seems like some unjustified assumptions are being made, imo.

It is actually possible that many people who have donated to Beth's charity might not have donated at all if the Red Cross was their only option.  Or there may be some women out there who were only moved to contribute because they are fans of Bethenny, or they appreciate that her relief efforts are aimed at women in particular.  

I think it is unfair and unjustified to assume that every dollar Bethenny has received has been a dollar stolen from the Red Cross. 

• Love 11
50 minutes ago, film noire said:

The rest of the NY crew used social media to promote larger relief orgs (the Red Cross for Luann, Ramona, Sonja, and the Humane Society for Carole). I'm sure there are plenty of people who disagree with both those choices (and maybe that's happening on their own threads?) I have no problem with the RC or the Humane Society being chosen (I get that many people are horrified/angry at resources going to save animal companions when children are also in danger - I don't agree, but I get it).

Out of curiosity, I took a look at a few of the other HWs threads and didn't find a single criticism or complaint about how they are choosing to spend their time or money to aid Harvey survivors.  

And then I gave my head a shake because, duh! why would anyone criticize how someone else gives to charity.  

• Love 14
4 hours ago, ZoloftBlob said:

But you do or don't support people donating to Bstrong, filmnoire? That what I am unclear on,  do you think Bethenny has done something wrong in gearing her charity towards assisting Harvey victims? I have definitely gotten the impression, and correct me if I am wrong, that you believe Bethenny should not mention her charity and is wrong to do so and should only be mentioning the Red Cross. Do you think she should have just shut her mouth and done nothing, and would you praise her for it? Or does she specifically need to endorse one of your charities of choice in order to not be an awful person? Is she doing wrong, in your opinion?

It's not up to me to support/endorse what people do or don't do with their donations -- we're all free to give/not give where we see fit  - and (for me) it's less about right or wrong vs being effective in a crisis. Concerning Frankel specifically, I think she should have donated a check, drummed up donations to a large relief org that already knows how to do what she's trying to figure out (frex, how to get donated goods to Texas).  Basically, I wish she'd done what she did during Sandy (gave a 50K check personally to the RC, SkinnyGirl matched that, and SG donated thousands of nutrition bars to the RC to hand out in NJ. And if she doesn't believe in the RC anymore, fair enough, pick another major relief org). When even the charity (DFS) that will receive B Strong's donations is asking people (on their website) to give money first to the Red Cross, and to think of DFS down the road, I'm not sure why she didn't follow their lead.  

And (I'm aware people don't agree) I do think the t-shirts are an awful idea, both financially (one third of the donation is going to produce the t-shirt) and execution (centering her charity/hashtag slogan more than Harvey victims) and just merching a disaster overall (for all the reasons I've said before, which I won't bore anybody by repeating now :) 

And for the record, it's not just Frankel/ bad faith on my part, I think any celeb w/o experience doing this should be questioned, because in a disaster zone,  it's like somebody is having a heart attack, and there are professionals in the crowd who know how to do CPR and celebs who don't -- who do you want to try and help you? A celeb still figuring out how to mobilize relief donations like water and food,  or the professional who already delivered that relief days ago?

Edited by film noire
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Jel said:

Out of curiosity, I took a look at a few of the other HWs threads and didn't find a single criticism or complaint about how they are choosing to spend their time or money to aid Harvey survivors.  

And then I gave my head a shake because, duh! why would anyone criticize how someone else gives to charity.  

Yes, everybody's free to give as they see fit -- and everybody's free to criticize charitable orgs  (at least as far as I'm concerned). Not sure if it escalated, but initially, Carole (eta: on social media) had people criticizing her for putting animals "first" with her link to the Humane Society (and again, I see why people might have an issue with that, but I don't - animal companions deserve rescue, imo).

Edited by film noire
  • Love 2

Over $130,000 raised, hundreds of volunteers, thousands of supplies for disaster relief...sounds like she did good.

If smaller charities, whether celeb run or not, don't take the initiative to expand, and grow, then they're not realizing their full potential in the long run, and that means they won't be able to help as many people as they possibly can.

one third of the donation is going to produce the t-shirt

And could potentially be offset once people see those shirts and decided to donate and/or get involved with that charity.

Basic economics, ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

3 hours ago, KungFuBunny said:

• Love 6
9 minutes ago, BBHN said:

And could potentially be offset once people see those shirts and decided to donate and/or get involved with that charity.

I don't think the majority of people seeing that t-shirt will know it's for victims of Hurricane Harvey. YMMV

Edited by film noire
  • Love 7

But the more astute ones, or even just the curious ones, could look it up online (thank god most people carry small handheld mobile devices allowing them to connect to the internet!) and figure out what it is for. YMMV too.

Edited by BBHN
  • Love 5
25 minutes ago, BBHN said:

But the more astute ones, or even just the curious ones, could look it up online (thank god most people carry small handheld mobile devices allowing them to connect to the internet!) and figure out what it is for. YMMV too.

You're racing to work, you see that t-shirt,  and  = ??  Maybe you look it up, maybe it's one more piece of flotsam in the info stream you immediately forget (as you answer texts on that handheld device :)

You're racing to work,  you see a "Hurricane Harvey /#thisisacrisis " t-shirt = you know what that is, right away - and maybe it reminds you to donate. (eta: and again, I'm not a fan of merching disasters, but that is the one big benefit I think people doing it can claim -- but if the messaging in unclear, the benefit is erased.)

Edited by film noire
  • Love 4

Chances are, if someone in your scenario was racing to work and that busy on their phone to begin with, they probably wouldn't really notice the Hurricane Harvey shirt either long enough to donate.

• Love 4

And again, why are these people who don't realize what they are spending their money on somehow Bethenny's charity victims? I think she's been reasonably clear to where consumers disputing the shirt charge wouldn't win... consumers are responsible for looking at where they throw their money. Film obviously wouldn't buy a shirt but that doesn't mean all or any consumers are actively being misled. And I am not sure I think it's fair to imply there's any sort of misleading or intentional deception. Consumers are required to know why they are spending and what they are buying. It's very easy to to find out what #thisisacrisis is related to and frankly no one seems worried about Bethenny's charity work off this board.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, ZoloftBlob said:

And again, why are these people who don't realize what they are spending their money on somehow Bethenny's charity victims? 

I don't think I said/implied anybody was a charity victim of hers -- if anything I wrote implied that, sorry for the confusion - anyone who gives to a charity is responsible for their donation.

Film obviously wouldn't buy a shirt but that doesn't mean all or any consumers are actively being misled. And I am not sure I think it's fair to imply there's any sort of misleading or intentional deception. 

I'm pretty sure I said her messaging was very unclear re: Harvey, not misleading or intentionally deceptive -- and I certainly don't think she's intending to deceive anybody by branding that t-shit with that slogan -- I think you were right that she's doing it to position the slogan long term for her charity.  (And a big part of my issue with the merching is not at all about any kind of deception, but more merching disaster overall - again, an overall issue for me).

Consumers are required to know why they are spending and what they are buying. It's very easy to to find out what #thisisacrisis is related to and frankly no one seems worried about Bethenny's charity work off this board.

I've seen criticism of her on other boards (there's some in that Reality Tea link posted upthread) but popular opinion or not, I still feel the same way -- and all I can do is vouch for my own opinion, and why I think/feel the way I do. 

Edited by film noire
  • Love 3
On 9/2/2017 at 9:47 PM, zoeysmom said:

I don't think it is right or wrong situation it is more of a why donate to her charity to have her turn it over to the American Red Cross?  Leonardo DCaprio donated $1 million dollars through his charitable foundation to the United Way Harvey Fund who has promised 100% of the donations will go to the victims and not administrative costs.  DiCaprio is urging others to follow his lead and donate directly to the United Way Harvey Fund. Not his foundation.  http://people.com/celebrity/leonardo-dicaprio-makes-1-million-donation-to-hurricane-harvey-victims/

If she has the pull and wants to voice her support of the relief efforts have the money go straight to the charity, not insert herself in the middle.  

Through social media Bethenny has expressed certain needs for the victims (rain boots, socks, etc) and then thanked the various companies that have donated the same.  I don't think Bethenny realizes she no longer has a talk show.  It feels a little opportunistic.  Here is a true disaster/tragedy and Bethenny and her charity seem to want to insert herself in the forefront.  It is unfortunate Dress for Success headquarters in Corpus Christi was destroyed and this is just me, I think the focus should be on the agencies that are first responders to get in there and find people relief-not rebuilding a charity, whose main goal was originally to help women entering or re-entering the job market to get help with dressing and interview skills.  The new wrinkle seems to be the Bethenny or has she now claims to be "B" wanting to add another level to a charity who was pretty successful with their intended goal.  What I always like and supported with Dress for Success was working women could feel like they were making a difference by donating "gently used" business suits and appropriate clothing.  Not all working stiffs can afford to write a $100.00 check or even a $25.00 check but they might very well have clothing they can donate-that doesn't end up in a thrift store for vintage shoppers or seeing your clothing end up on the local hooker stroll.  It made women in our office feel good.

Most of all I think B could have accomplished the same with tweets instead of making yet again a big deal about some boo-boo she had on her face by doing a video.  A moron would tell her to stay out of the sun-there is no such thing as 100% protection.  Swimsuit models do not spend as much beach and pool time as B does.  It reminded me of her cook out photo where we all got a peek at her bandage after her "major" life threatening, emotional breakdown  surgery for fibroids,  Everything in B's life is not an opportunity to raise awareness.  Add to the equation Tamra Judge trumped her this week with both a squamous cancer and melanoma-both very serious cancers.  Basal cell carcinoma not so much.  Argh. . . this woman is exhausting.

Let's face it.  Corporate America, celebrities, etc. often set up charitable work as PR mechanisms.   There are exceptions, of course, and Leo D may be one.  Not so sure about Bethenny. 

As long as the money gets to the right things, I guess the motivation shouldn't matter much, I suppose.  Still, I find it in poor taste for celebs to encourage people to give to their own charity. It's like asking for attention for themselves first, and attention for the charity second.  

I'd much prefer it if they encouraged giving in general and providing a few examples of quality charities that people can donate to.

Bethenny is looking for love in all the wrong places, IMO. 

Edited by Jextella
  • Love 7