Type keyword(s) to search

Bethenny Frankel: Skinny Girl

• Start Topic

21 minutes ago, ZoloftBlob said:

I agree the immediate need is for more direct charities is there, but three weeks from now when everyone has moved on to the next crisis, I bet there will still be some desperate women in Houston who appreciate what this charity does.

That's how I see it, too ... sure, there is a greater need for rescue, emergency housing and food and medical care right now.  But in a couple of months, the things Beth is putting into place for women - many of whom will have lost everything - will be greatly appreciated.   I don't see it as a duplication of services at all.   The Red Cross doesn't replace your wardrobe so you can go back to work.  

I agree it does seem like Beth is being told to stay in her lane.  But the thing is, I think she is staying in her lane.  She is not saying she is going provide people with emergency shelter.  That is the job of the Red Cross. She is trying to raise money so women can have clothes to wear.  Isn't that a big part of what her group does, working with Dress for Success?  Sounds entirely like her lane to me.  And I don't think it is a play for attention at all.  I think she is just being a caring human being, as hard as that may be for some to accept. 

The fact that she is asking for donations right now doesn't bother me, either.  The reality is the Red Cross is not funding its Houston operation with money being donated today.  It is a huge organization and it is using money it's been collecting in its coffers for months, years maybe.  Bethenny asking for donations is not directly undermining relief efforts in Houston.  And as far as effecting future operations, I seriously doubt that the drop in the bucket Beth collects is going to effect any major relief organization in any way.

14 minutes ago, motorcitymom65 said:

I just find it hard to criticize. 

But it's Bethenny.  There will always be something to criticize.

• Love 20
58 minutes ago, ZoloftBlob said:

What bagger said. Is there any harm happening? How awful, Bethenny might get a few kudos for encouraging people to donate during a crisis. I agree the immediate need is for more direct charities is there, but three weeks from now when everyone has moved on to the next crisis, I bet there will still be some desperate women in Houston who appreciate what this charity does.

I agree.  It's not like she's Joel Osteen - closing his humongous church to the needy, pretending it's flooded, yet soliciting donations still.  BTW, I've heard from Houston natives that the Mosques in the area are open to any and all that are in need.

• Love 14
1 minute ago, RedheadZombie said:

I agree.  It's not like she's Joel Osteen - closing his humongous church to the needy, pretending it's flooded, yet soliciting donations still.  BTW, I've heard from Houston natives that the Mosques in the area are open to any and all that are in need.

He has now opened his church after the controversy.

I have no issue with Bethenny's contribution because there will be needs in Houston for years to come.

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

That's how I see it, too ... sure, there is a greater need for rescue, emergency housing and food and medical care right now.  But in a couple of months, the things Beth is putting into place for women - many of whom will have lost everything - will be greatly appreciated.   I don't see it as a duplication of services at all.   The Red Cross doesn't replace your wardrobe so you can go back to work.  

I agree it does seem like Beth is being told to stay in her lane.  But the thing is, I think she is staying in her lane.  She is not saying she is going provide people with emergency shelter.  That is the job of the Red Cross. She is trying to raise money so women can have clothes to wear.  Isn't that a big part of what her group does, working with Dress for Success?  Sounds entirely like her lane to me.  And I don't think it is a play for attention at all.  I think she is just being a caring human being, as hard as that may be for some to accept. 

The fact that she is asking for donations right now doesn't bother me, either.  The reality is the Red Cross is not funding its Houston operation with money being donated today.  It is a huge organization and it is using money it's been collecting in its coffers for months, years maybe.  Bethenny asking for donations is not directly undermining relief efforts in Houston.  And as far as effecting future operations, I seriously doubt that the drop in the bucket Beth collects is going to effect any major relief organization in any way.

Again, I agree.  She's not acting like Teresa Giudice during Irene - donating tacky leopard jump suits and furs.  My understanding of Beth's charity is that it provides business attire for underprivileged women.  I imagine that the number of underprivileged women needing business attire will greatly increase after the hurricane is long gone. 

Just now, biakbiak said:

He has now opened his church after the controversy.

I have no issue with Bethenny's contribution because there will be needs in Houston for years to come.

It's nice that he said it, but I'll believe it when I see it.  They claimed the entire church was flooded, yet it was simply the underground parking deck.  They've been shamed by pictures showing the church lot filled with at least ten cars as of this morning.  He's garbage, IMO.  He was holding out for federal funds.  Garbage.

• Love 16
21 minutes ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

I know I'm harping but this is near and dear to me right now. I'm volunteering at a small shelter roughly helping abou 100 people right now, more than half of those are single women many of those with small school aged children. In two or three weeks they'll have more permanent shelter but wouldn't it be great if they could use the FEMA and Red Cross help for food and medicine for themselves and their kids and not have to worry about clothes for themselves? 

I just think any awareness brought to the need is commendable. Hell, not a fan of the Kardashians but so very grateful for their $500k donation. I don't be care if they just did it for the publicity or not.

• Love 15

There we go. I am donating blood on Thursday at DragonCon and I know my blood likely won't be going to Texas but it still helps someone, and maybe it does free a pint up for shipping to Texas... someone always needs blood.

• Love 10
6 minutes ago, bagger said:

I know I'm harping but this is near and dear to me right now. I'm volunteering at a small shelter roughly helping abou 100 people right now, more than half of those are single women many of those with small school aged children. In two or three weeks they'll have more permanent shelter but wouldn't it be great if they could use the FEMA and Red Cross help for food and medicine for themselves and their kids and not have to worry about clothes for themselves? 

I just think any awareness brought to the need is commendable. Hell, not a fan of the Kardashians but so very grateful for their $500k donation. I don't be care if they just did it for the publicity or not.

Bless you for what you are doing Bagger. 

• Love 12
18 minutes ago, motorcitymom65 said:

Bless you for what you are doing Bagger. 

My family is so blessed we never even had standing water in our neighborhood for more than an hour. We had no power interruption whatsoever. I was able to wallow the first few days in the comfort of my dry home watching tv and cooking for my family. It would be a crying shame to not help these people especially when work is closed and I have nothing else to do. 

I encourage anyone to do anything that will help.

• Love 11
2 hours ago, motorcitymom65 said:

But those people are going to need clothes as well. 

Absolutely - and two months from today, giving to Dress for Success or B Strong would make sense -- but if you want to get clothes to people in shelters now, it doesn't. That's part of the issue for me.  She did not make that clear in her post. YMMV. 

1 hour ago, ZoloftBlob said:

There we go. I am donating blood on Thursday at DragonCon and I know my blood likely won't be going to Texas but it still helps someone, and maybe it does free a pint up for shipping to Texas... someone always needs blood.

Yes -- the blood banks are nationally coordinated, so anything you give helps everywhere, in a sense  -- as far as I know, B Strong is not at that level of national reach.

Edited by film noire
  • Love 1
31 minutes ago, film noire said:

Absolutely - and two months from today, giving to Dress for Success or B Strong would make sense -- but if you want to get clothes to people in shelters now, it doesn't. That's the issue for me.  YMMV. 

People in shelters certainly need clothes now. No denying that.  But I'm not sure if there is any reason to wait when it comes to organizing a fund/clothing drive for distribution later.  

I think it takes time to collect and/or buy clothing for women the way Dress for Success does.  It depends on what the plan is - to give out funds for purchasing one's own clothes, buying clothes to be distributed, or a larger effort coordinating donated pieces of clothing.  But I could see it taking a while to set up and prepare whatever they have planned.  It may well take them a month or two to put their plan into operation.  Plus they need to wait for women to be in a setting in which they can actually take and use the clothes to go back to work in.  So it may be that donations made right now would actually be quite timely. 

edited to add: not to be crass, but the truth is there is also something to "striking while the iron is still hot" to fund raising during a disaster as well.  This is a huge disaster, but it will be less on people's radar months from now.  So that is a consideration.

Edited by Celia Rubenstein
  • Love 10
2 hours ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

Yeah, that must be it -- or maybe, having lived through Sandy, I throw a hard side-eye at anyone -- celeb or private citizen - drawing resources away from the orgs with the reach and infrastructure able to handle this scale of disaster.

3 hours ago, bagger said:

Oh and listing Michelle Obama? Who cares I don't see her anywhere either.

I doubt Michelle Obama is keeping a low profile out of a lack of concern -- she'd likely draw media attention (i.e., former First Lady competing with Melania) away from the storm /crisis if she did anything highly visible right now.

Good luck,  bagger -- stay safe!

Edited by film noire

Tell me about it.  That is some major cash.  Now, if you want to help people right now you should have donated to the Red Cross last year.  It is a large organization.  The supplies and the housing for volunteers they are using were paid for with money IN THE BANK.  And that is where organizations like the Humane Society, Dress for Success, and churches come into play.  Andy Cohen is out behind the Human Society.  They need money right now to feed pets that were separated from their owners.  Dress for Success has a client list of women that are barely hanging on to a apartment, car etc.  They have no safety net.  DFS is their safety net.  So by all means, Red Cross can always use a donation but do not think for one minute that the online click or the check or the credit card charge will go to Harvey victims.  It will go to staff and respond to the next crisis.  It will go to staff lining up housing when an apartment burns down.  There is a need for both types donation.  A Kardasian or a Frankel have entirely different followers.  They may reach people that wouldn't take the time to donate to established charities.  So I'm for anyone that can do anything.

• Love 12
2 hours ago, crgirl412 said:

I worked in the not-for-profit world in secular and faith-based organizations for a long time as a Volunteer, on staff as a Fundraiser and then as a Director and have huge issues with the unnecessary duplication of services. 

Much of the time they are "founded" by celebrities, Bravolebrities and other well-known people who don't have a clue about even the most basic things about a not-for-profit.  Their target demographic would be immensely better served by the "founders" giving their money, time and name to an organization that is already in existence and doing great work.      

Amen.

7 hours ago, bagger said:

Gotta love that she's putting her celebrity to good use.

Unless she gave a head's up to every woman she tagged -  TACKY. As fuck.

Edited by Jade Foxx
more emphasis
  • Love 1
19 minutes ago, film noire said:

Or maybe, having lived through Sandy, I throw a hard side-eye at anyone -- celeb or private citizen - drawing resources away from the orgs with the reach and infrastructure able to handle this scale of disaster.

But there is a need for something called "post disaster relief" as well.  It's what concerned groups engage in after everyone has been rescued and made safe, when the TV cameras- and the Red Cross - are gone. 

I think that is what Bethenny is aiming to be a part of.  Doing things that emergency relief agencies don't do.  It is an essential part of disaster recovery for a community, and is often overlooked. 

• Love 9
29 minutes ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

But there is a need for something called "post disaster relief" as well.  It's what concerned groups engage in after everyone has been rescued and made safe, when the TV cameras- and the Red Cross - are gone. 

Then tell people you're doing that, Celia; tell them you're rebuilding for after the immediate crisis. But when you hold up  a sign reading "This is a crisis" people think the money is going directly there, and right now.

And now it's not even clear she's doing that anymore. She posted that they had lots of clothes (before they started, it sounds like) and no idea what they're going to do with the money they raised today (50K so far) yet. It could go on gift cards, maybe cash, maybe shelter -- but (roughly what she said) she's treating it like a businesswoman and formulating a sound business plan, etc -  she asked for money without knowing how, or where,  or when, it would be sent -  I don't care how much people love Bethenny Frankel,  that's not cool. I adore Helen Mirren,  but if she'd done the same thing,  I'd be all over her for doing so.

Edited by film noire
goddamn grammar
  • Love 2

There's a point where I feel like this is picking a nit just because it's Bethenny. I mean, morally she's not required to do dick all. So she asks for people to donate... but that's awful because her charity isn't big enough to make an pact and in order to NOT be awful, she should just donate 30k to a larger charity.

and yet, I somehow sense that if she just wrote a check for 30k, there would be bitching that she coulda written it for 50 or 100 or 500k, and there'd be complaining about WHICH large charity she donated to, complete with complaining about how smaller charities are able to manage their funds better.

And god forbid she do nothing! But here we are. She did a nice thing in asking people to donate to an already established charity that will actually serve a decent and valid need and she is "tacky as fuck" and people are proudly declaring how they're "all over her" about where the donated funds will go...

I don't even like the bitch but fucking really? Maybe we should burn her in effigy for this crime?

• Love 15
8 minutes ago, film noire said:

Then tell people you're doing that, Celia; tell them you're rebuilding for after the immediate crisis.  But when you hold up  a sign reading "This is a crisis" people think the money is going directly there, and right now.

I didn't think that.  Seems like lots of other people here understood what she meant as well. I seemed rather obvious from the fact that she said she was working with Dress for Success ... the bulk of the donations were intended for organization and later distribution. I didn't exactly envision them delivering van loads of business suits and pumps to women in shelters whose homes were underwater and their jobs flooded out. 

And now it's not even clear she's doing that anymore. She posted that they have lots of clothes, and no idea what they're going to do with the money they raised today (50K so far) yet. It could go on maybe gift cards, maybe cash, maybe shelter -- but (roughly what she said) she's treating it like a businesswoman and formulating a sound business plan, etc - so she asked for money without knowing how, or where, it would be sent. That's not cool by me.

If Bethenny takes a little time to figure out the best way to utilize the goods and money her request brought in, that's fine with me.  Formulating a sound business plan sounds wise.  Remember, she is not conducting emergency relief.  You don't dilly dally with that - time is of the essence.  But she is trying to figure out the best way to provide support to women as they try to get back to normal life.  I'm glad she isn't rushing into anything ... she has a little time, which she will surely use wisely, and make the most of the donations she has received.

I just do not see the problem with any of this. 

• Love 15
38 minutes ago, ZoloftBlob said:

Maybe we should burn her in effigy for this crime?

Hunh? Have I demanded people boycott B Strong? Have I savaged her with horrible name-calling? How is criticizing a celebrity for diverting resources from the major orgs -- while also later revealing there's no plan on how to spend that money -- in any way burning her in effigy? 

Edited by film noire

I think Beth is doing the right thing here, even if you just look at it from a logistics point of view. As others have said, women will need clothes for jobs in the coming weeks and months. Getting those clothes in place takes time. There's the call for donations, the waiting while people get around to going through their closets, the actual donations, collecting them sorting them, storing them, distributing them, etc. None of that happens in a day, a week or even two weeks.

She's using her business experience to plan for this correctly, and good on her for doing so.

• Love 11
3 minutes ago, Jel said:

I think Beth is doing the right thing here, even if you just look at it from a logistics point of view. As others have said, women will need clothes for jobs in the coming weeks and months. Getting those clothes in place takes time.

She's not doing clothes (she said that on instagram, late in the day).

Edited by film noire

Above she says "We are pledging .... to go directly to @DressforSuccess women affected by Hurricane Harvey in #Houston and #CorpusChristi. 

Dress for Success will be collecting the clothes I'm sure, but what difference does that make? She understands this stuff takes time, and she's acting now to begin the process. That's the right thing to do, act now, while people are thinking about it. 

• Love 7

Ok, while we're on the subject and people are looking for something that is immediate.  Baby2Baby is on the ground.  Busy Phillips is one of the celebs out there beating the drum for them.  This is diapers, formula, clothes and essentials for babies and children in shelters.

• Love 9
21 minutes ago, Jel said:

Dress for Success will be collecting the clothes I'm sure, but what difference does that make? She understands this stuff takes time, and she's acting now to begin the process. That's the right thing to do, act now, while people are thinking about it. 

Frankel is not doing clothes  -- later in the day, she said (in response to a poster concerned about the logistics of where all the money was going) that she currently has no idea where/how/what the money will be going to - gift cards, cash handouts, maybe shelters -- she wasn't yet certain.  (And as I said, even if it was someone I admired,  I would not think it was okay to raise money,  in a crisis, without an in-place, clear plan to disburse it. YMMV.)

Edited by film noire
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, film noire said:

Frankel is not doing clothes at all -- later in the day, she said (in response to a poster concerned about the logistics of where all the money was going) that she currently has no idea where/how/what the money will be going to - gift cards, cash handouts, maybe shelters -- she wasn't yet certain.  (And as I said, even if it was someone I admired,  I would not think it was okay to raise money,  in a crisis, without an in-place, clear plan to disburse it. YMMV.)

Someone who has more experience working with charities will have to weigh in, but my guess is a lot of money is going to organizations that are not 100% certain of how funds will be used. I would imagine they will be assessing the needs as they better understand the scope of the problem. But as was mentioned above, you strike while the story is still on the front page and everyone wants to do something to help. In a couple of days this won't be on the news 24/7 and memories are short when images of folks suffering are not beamed into our living rooms all day long. 

• Love 12
10 minutes ago, motorcitymom65 said:

but my guess is a lot of money is going to organizations that are not 100% certain of how funds will be used.

Which is why it's good to vet organizations at places like Charity Navigator so that you know your funds aren't being wasted because the organization doesn't have experience or capacity to maximize your contribution.

I do think it's great for B to encourage others to donate and that she has committed some funds but it is extremely disconcerting to here that she is raising money with no plan on how to spend it so I hope people look elsewhere if they want to give to the victims or at least wait until she has a plan.

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Which is why it's good to vet organizations at places like Charity Navigator so that you know your funds aren't being wasted because the organization doesn't have experience or capacity to maximize your contribution.

Well, then Bethenny is in good shape. DFS has a higher rating than does the American Red Cross. 

• Love 11
19 minutes ago, film noire said:

Frankel is not doing clothes at all -- later in the day, she said (in response to a poster concerned about the logistics of where all the money was going) that she currently has no idea where/how/what the money will be going to - gift cards, cash handouts, maybe shelters -- she wasn't yet certain.  (And as I said, even if it was someone I admired,  I would not think it was okay to raise money,  in a crisis, without an in-place, clear plan to disburse it. YMMV.)

If it is a huge problem that a charity isn't 100% crystal clear at the time of soliciting donations where exactly those donations will be used, then the Red Cross is in big trouble.  Because as I and others have pointed out, donations solicited during one disaster are not earmarked for for use during that particular disaster by its victims and nobody else, or for any specific use in particular.  

13 minutes ago, motorcitymom65 said:

Someone who has more experience working with charities will have to weigh in, but my guess is a lot of money is going to organizations that are not 100% certain of how funds will be used. I would imagine they will be assessing the needs as they better understand the scope of the problem. 

Exactly.

And not only that ... I don't know if people realize it, but a lot of money donated to even the most efficient organizations goes to staff salary and overhead costs.  No one dollar you donate finds its way into direct victim support 100%, even among the best of the best.

10 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Good point.  There are some seriously big name charities out there that have a very poor record.  It pays to do your research before hitting that "donate" button!  

9 minutes ago, motorcitymom65 said:

Well, then Bethenny is in good shape. DFS has a higher rating than does the American Red Cross. 

LOL you are kidding!!  Dress for Success is higher rated than the Red Cross???? That's amazing.  Good for them!

• Love 9
4 minutes ago, motorcitymom65 said:

Which is great my comment wasn't a criticism of DFS, it was a reminder that people should research before they give, their rating is one of the reason I don't give to the Red Cross,. Where I have my issue with Bethenny is asking for money without knowing how it will be dispersed.

• Love 2
35 minutes ago, Bronzedog said:

I would guess that if people have a visceral reaction to clothes or money donated by Bethenny's organization they won't be forced to accept her help.

I'm sure anyone who gets help (from anywhere) will be happy to receive it.

2 minutes ago, motorcitymom65 said:

As I understand it, Bethenny pledged 30 K to DFS coming from B Strong, but the rest of the money is for her own charity. The link in her profile goes to B Strong, not DFS.

30 minutes ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

If it is a huge problem that a charity isn't 100% crystal clear at the time of soliciting donations where exactly those donations will be used, then the Red Cross is in big trouble.  

For all its many problems, The Red Cross has set up 34 shelters, as of last night. They are prepared to house 30,000 (in Austin and Houston) if necessary. That's only one arm of what they're doing, but at least I know they've already done that.

14 minutes ago, Bronzedog said:

I'm beginning to understand how hard it must be to be Bethenny.

If being criticized on PTV -  even as others lionize her on Insta/Facebook as the second coming of Mother Theresa herself - is the worst thing she has to endure, sign me up :)

Edited by film noire
  • Love 1

As I understand it, Bethenny pledged 30 K to DFS coming from B Strong, but the rest of the money is for her own charity. The link in her profile goes to B Strong, not DFS.

DFS is the sole beneficiary of BStrong.  The way it is set up clients of DFS that are in crisis are eligible for financial assistance from BStrong.  This works the same for the clients as other resources that DFS works with for housing, education and childcare.  But in the case of BStrong there is cash money for a lawyer or relocation or any number of things that aren't readily available.  I thought at the time that it was a good way of setting up a foundation.  She has the resources and guidance of an organization like DFS so that the money goes to the best use.  Personally I have more faith in the money going to best use with Bethenny over some of the sports figures with millions being pledged.

• Love 10
17 minutes ago, QuinnM said:

DFS is the sole beneficiary of BStrong.  The way it is set up clients of DFS that are in crisis are eligible for financial assistance from BStrong.  This works the same for the clients as other resources that DFS works with for housing, education and childcare.  But in the case of BStrong there is cash money for a lawyer or relocation or any number of things that aren't readily available.  I thought at the time that it was a good way of setting up a foundation.  She has the resources and guidance of an organization like DFS so that the money goes to the best use.  Personally I have more faith in the money going to best use with Bethenny over some of the sports figures with millions being pledged.

I thought DFS was the conduit for B Strong - in that you have to be a member of the PWG (Professional Woman's Group) in DFS to get access to B Strong's services (legal counseling, mental health services,  financial assistance, etc) -- but B Strong oversaw funding for those programs alone. Can I ask you where you read DFS is overseeing and managing all funding for B Strong? 

Edited by film noire

Just because a not-for-profit gets good "grades" from watchdog organizations does not mean that everything is being done the way it is supposed to be.  In no way do I mean that anyone is doing anything illegal, unethical or immoral but there are good ways and then there are the best ways to run these organizations.

I had to leave the faith-based one that I was on staff with as fundraiser as I could not get in front of people and tell them that this ministry is doing all  that it can to fulfill it's God-given mission.  That being said, there were those who vehemently disagreed with me who were and are faithful Christians and saw the situation very, very differently.   

In the end, my position was shown to be "right" as the Executive Director was let go and I was asked to rescind my resignation (which I knew wasn't what was to happen), some board members quit and huge changes were made. 

The ministry has been in a wonderful place and doing what God has created it do for many years now.  It was an extremely painful and humbling experience that I am now grateful to have gone through.    

I can't get into the details as it is too hard to explain quickly without explaining the in depth Biblical reasoning and verses that I based my opinion on but if anyone wants to hear it, they can private message me and I'll explain it all. 

1 hour ago, film noire said:

For all its many problems, The Red Cross has set up 34 shelters, as of last night. They are prepared to house 30,000 (in Austin and Houston) if necessary. That's only one arm of what they're doing, but at least I know they've already done that.

Oh, I would never deny that the Red Cross is serving vital needs in the Houston area at this time.  They most certainly are and bless every person, be they volunteer or donor, who is facilitating what they are doing there.

My comment was addressing your suggestion that Bethenny was somehow falling short by having "no idea where/how/what the money will be going" and that she had no plan to disburse the funds she has collected.  At the time funds are collected, many worthy charities have no such specific plans in place.  That was my point. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

My comment was addressing your suggestion that Bethenny was somehow falling short by having "no idea where/how/what the money will be going" and that she had no plan to disburse the funds she has collected.  

My point was that  (unlike B Strong) we're not unaware of how the Red Cross is spending/plans to spend their donated funds. That said, I disagree with any comparison between B Strong's lack of preparedness to the Red Cross's spending as a premise, to begin with; Frankel doesn't know how it's going to be spent b/c she has no idea how to handle donations during a natural disaster, whereas the Red Cross is waiting to see if (frex) Austin needs money to sustain thousands of Houston refugees. Just not in the same wheelhouse, imo. One is a celebrity who has no history of relief work,  or any on-the-ground UN experience with imperiled areas -- unlike Jolie, say -- the other is an org devoted to (for all its problems) going into disaster zones and saving lives. In the end, I see an unskilled celeb diverting crucial oxygen in a very tight room,  and you see a hero -- here's hoping the people in trouble get that 50K sooner rather than later.

Edited by film noire
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, QuinnM said:

Sure - I didn't say that.  

Sorry, I thought that's what "She has the resources and guidance of an organization like DFS" meant in terms of B Strong's funds --  did you mean B Strong raises money/is responsible for how they spend that money, and DFS is involved in providing her with DFS members as recipients of that charity, only?

eta (to be clear, which I'm not here, but I'm too tired to rewrite!) is B Strong's charter that the monies go soley to DFS, without any discretionary choice on Frankel's part? 

Edited by film noire

Just like the Red Cross, it appears Bethenny will be spending the funds donated to her group on the things her charity typically supports (aside from her specific partnership with Dress For Success for this cause, of course)  ... here is a link to her website which explains her organization's mission B STRONG

I noticed that she offers the option for donors to specifically designate that their contributions go to hurricane Harvey relief efforts.  I don't believe the Red Cross offers such an option.  For what that's worth to her critics.

If one has a general problem with the nature of her charity and its objectives, so be it.  But I don't think there is any reason to think your money is going down some kind of nebulous charity rat hole because B-Strong does not have the history the Red Cross does.  Few organizations do.  

I can't help but applaud the sincere efforts of anyone who is trying to help the people effected by this disaster in any way they can. Bethenny included.  

YMMV, of course.

I don't know if my post makes sense now in light of the extensive editing done to the post I was responding to, which suggested that what the Red Cross would spend $ on is well known, while what Beth may spend the $ donated to her on is a complete unknown
  • Love 9
10 minutes ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

the things her charity typically supports (aside from her specific partnership with Dress For Success for this cause, of course)  ... here is a link to her website which explains her organization's mission B STRONG

But that isn't what she stated in answer to the question about where and how the funds would be used.

10 minutes ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

I don't believe the Red Cross offers such an option.  For what that's worth to her critics.

The Red Cross does offer that option though they encourage people to donate to the general emergency fund.

• Love 3

My family is so blessed we never even had standing water in our neighborhood for more than an hour. We had no power interruption whatsoever. I was able to wallow the first few days in the comfort of my dry home watching tv and cooking for my family. It would be a crying shame to not help these people especially when work is closed and I have nothing else to do. 

Good for you for helping out others less fortunate than you, bagger.

not to be crass, but the truth is there is also something to "striking while the iron is still hot" to fund raising during a disaster as well.  This is a huge disaster, but it will be less on people's radar months from now.  So that is a consideration.

Yeah, Bethenny would probably get more interest and donation now that she probably would in 5 or 6 months from now.

Tell me about it.  That is some major cash.  Now, if you want to help people right now you should have donated to the Red Cross last year.  It is a large organization.  The supplies and the housing for volunteers they are using were paid for with money IN THE BANK.  And that is where organizations like the Humane Society, Dress for Success, and churches come into play.  Andy Cohen is out behind the Human Society.  They need money right now to feed pets that were separated from their owners.  Dress for Success has a client list of women that are barely hanging on to a apartment, car etc.  They have no safety net.  DFS is their safety net.  So by all means, Red Cross can always use a donation but do not think for one minute that the online click or the check or the credit card charge will go to Harvey victims.  It will go to staff and respond to the next crisis.  It will go to staff lining up housing when an apartment burns down.  There is a need for both types donation.  A Kardasian or a Frankel have entirely different followers.  They may reach people that wouldn't take the time to donate to established charities.  So I'm for anyone that can do anything.

You bring up some valid points. Definitely food for thought.

I don't even like the bitch but fucking really? Maybe we should burn her in effigy for this crime?

We can always start a charity to raise funds for that effigy ;)

Bethenny is being proactive.  Good on her.  She's in NY.  She could have done nothing.  

Exactly.

She's using her business experience to plan for this correctly, and good on her for doing so.

Exactly.

LOL you are kidding!!  Dress for Success is higher rated than the Red Cross???? That's amazing.  Good for them!

Interesting.

• Love 6
19 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

But that isn't what she stated in answer to the question about where and how the funds would be used.

I am not following every detail of this online - my understanding of it largely comes from what has been posted here.  Film Noire posted that Bethenny stated that she wasn't sure how things would be disbursed yet, that she was formulating a business plan which included "gift cards, cash handouts, maybe shelters -- she wasn't yet certain."  

Is this not accurate?  

Because it seems to me to be standard procedure for her charity and just what I would expect, just like the Red Cross is currently doing just what I would expect.

Is what Film Noire posted not accurate? 

• Love 6
33 minutes ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

Film Noire posted that Bethenny stated that she wasn't sure how things would be disbursed yet, that she was formulating a business plan which included "gift cards, cash handouts, maybe shelters -- she wasn't yet certain."  

I initially missed the Emergency financial assistance on the B Strong page which is why I thought her answer didn't connect to the other tenants of the foundation but I still don't think it makes sense to donate there at this time without a concrete plan. 

Comparing her organizations ability to distribute funds effectively in an Emergency situation to the Red Cross isn't apples and oranges, they aren't even both foods.

• Love 2

I'm beginning to understand how hard it must be to be Bethenny.

Damned if she does, damned if she doesn't...

Oh, I would never deny that the Red Cross is serving vital needs in the Houston area at this time.  They most certainly are and bless every person, be they volunteer or donor, who is facilitating what they are doing there.

Too much charity is never a bad thing.

I can't help but applaud the sincere efforts of anyone who is trying to help the people effected by this disaster in any way they can. Bethenny included.  

I agree.

• Love 11