Type keyword(s) to search

Bethenny Frankel: Skinny Girl

• Start Topic

She was on HSN last nite for one hour selling skinny jeans and tops.  I haven’t worn jeans in a long time as I don’t find them comfortable.  The older heavier models didn’t look that great to me.  They stand out.  A dark color slacks would look much better, and more comfortable.  At this point, I’m wearing black pants with two pockets and drawstring waist from Walmart believe it or not and they are fabulous for everyday.  If I go out fancy, I have nicer slacks, which isn’t too much anymore.  I could never wear spiked heels with skinny jeans as I’d fall right on my ass.  Bethenny wore silver spiked heels last night because she can.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Silver Bells said:

She was on HSN last nite for one hour selling skinny jeans and tops.

She's been on HSN all weekend pitching SkinnyGirl products while all of her ex castmates and the other Real Housewives were at Bravocon having a great time meeting fans, hanging out with each other and  promoting their brands. She missed out on a great opportunity to target the Bravo audience and connecting with her fans who would have been more likely to buy her products. What a shame. 

Her Instagram/instastories have basically morphed into one long commercial for Skinnygirl jeans, shapewear and other SkinnyShit. I strongly suspect that the Bethenny Show is never going to happen and she knows that Skinnygirl sales is her full time job now.

As Andy Warhol reportedly said, "In the future....."

• Love 7
17 hours ago, Hiyo said:

She's been targeting the Bravo audience for years as it is...HSN could reach a wider audience.

You're right.

The Bravo audience isn't what it used to be.

• Love 2

It was, but it seems for many of the HWs, you use Bravo as a springboard to get on a channel like HSN or QVC to really try and move your merchandise. Whether it's Melissa from NJ selling jewelry or Shannon from OC selling her healthy meals, getting on one of those channels is the goal. Lisa Rinna from BH is supposedly doing really well selling her clothing on QVC.

Honestly I'm surprised Bethenny waited this long to try and hock her merchandise on one of these channels (unless she already has and I missed it).

Edited by Hiyo
  • Love 4
39 minutes ago, Hiyo said:

It was, but it seems for many of the HWs, you use Bravo as a springboard to get on a channel like HSN or QVC to really try and move your merchandise. Whether it's Melissa from NJ selling jewelry or Shannon from OC selling her healthy meals, getting on one of those channels is the goal. Lisa Rinna from BH is supposedly doing really well selling her clothing on QVC.

Honestly I'm surprised Bethenny waited this long to try and hock her merchandise on one of these channels (unless she already has and I missed it).

IIRC, she did sell her clothes on HSN or QVC when the jean line first launched.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

BravoCon was a MASSIVE success. I have a friend at Bravo and they couldn't have been happier. I have another friend who managed to snag tickets and she had the best time ever. I so wish I had thought to get tickets. 

No one has hit the Bravo audience harder, more often, or more relentlessly than Bethenny. If the marketing question is whether to go to BravoCon with a hundred other reality celebs being featured or do HSN, it's pretty much a no brainer.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
9 hours ago, Hiyo said:

There are 2 sides to selling on HSN or QVC.

Lisa Rinna does really well because from the jump everything is done through QVC. She has a huge customer base.

With Bethenny's product it's a bit different. She has to use her own manufacturer to make a certain volume of product, ship it to the QVC warehouse, Each item has to be pre-packaged a certain way to make it easier for the assembly line to grab it, label it, box it, ship it. There is a storage fee QVC charges to hold the stock in their warehouse. There is a fee you have to pay to use their shipping services, their customer service taking the orders, another for basically having a one hour commercial.

If we're talking about her jeans - she could be doing one of 2 things. Maybe the jeans aren't selling as well as she hoped and she produced a limited amount (say 5000 total in various sizes) to be sold on QVC and is hoping the exposure will generate interest for her product to a wider audience.

OR she is getting rid of the jeans division and is selling whatever overage stock she has left.

Either way - going the QVC or HSN way for an existing business isn't going to make you that much money. You have to sell an enormous amount of goods and the profit per item is about 1/10 of what you would make if you sold the same item through your own site.

Isn't B selling off parts/dissolving parts of her line?

Edited by KungFuBunny
  • Useful 5
  • Love 1
On 11/19/2019 at 8:10 AM, KungFuBunny said:

There are 2 sides to selling on HSN or QVC.

Lisa Rinna does really well because from the jump everything is done through QVC. She has a huge customer base.

With Bethenny's product it's a bit different. She has to use her own manufacturer to make a certain volume of product, ship it to the QVC warehouse, Each item has to be pre-packaged a certain way to make it easier for the assembly line to grab it, label it, box it, ship it. There is a storage fee QVC charges to hold the stock in their warehouse. There is a fee you have to pay to use their shipping services, their customer service taking the orders, another for basically having a one hour commercial.

If we're talking about her jeans - she could be doing one of 2 things. Maybe the jeans aren't selling as well as she hoped and she produced a limited amount (say 5000 total in various sizes) to be sold on QVC and is hoping the exposure will generate interest for her product to a wider audience.

OR she is getting rid of the jeans division and is selling whatever overage stock she has left.

Either way - going the QVC or HSN way for an existing business isn't going to make you that much money. You have to sell an enormous amount of goods and the profit per item is about 1/10 of what you would make if you sold the same item through your own site.

Isn't B selling off parts/dissolving parts of her line?

At the end of last season she said she was going to sell off something to make her torturous life easier.  Maybe no one is biting?

Edited by Emmeline
  • LOL 2
  • Love 6

The "jeans" industry is very hard to get into and highly competitive.

You need to get your brand in as many department stores or stores that sell many brands in one place/section, This is because jeans especially - people want to try them on, look in the mirror, see how it fits their waist, butt. They want to see how the denim feels - the zipper/buttons - is the crotch length right.

Look at just one pair of jeans - on Bethenny's site - it comes in 11 sizes - by waist size. It also comes in 6 plus sizes. Most jeans by style come in more than one color. Most jeans also come in different "lengths" - Bethenny's do not. So just imagine 1 pair of jeans from B's site comes in 17 sizes - how much do you manufacture? You need to keep all this inventory in a warehouse. It needs to be in stock so that when the order comes in you can ship it - otherwise backorder city and a customer who brought in online is not going to want it when it comes into stock in 3 months. Your key customer is the established customer who already bought a pair of those jeans from an actual store. Most people won't buy a pair on line if they've never tried them on before. I don't care how easy one claims their return policy is - it's a pain in the ass to return something by mail and wait for a different size to shipped to you.

There needs to be a ton of warehouse space - and it has to be set up so that it is easy to pick and pack orders. B would have to have people on payroll doing this. B would also need to hire a customer service group - to track orders, verify credit cards and deal with all customer issues - that's another group on payroll. You have to buy shippable cartons. Someone has to be there to make sure fex ex, UPS, postal service are picking up the orders. Unless you're shipping out a 100 orders a day - you'll be losing money.

Also, who is overseeing production and quality control of the jeans? From the fabric, to the cutting, to the sewing, to the consistency of fit size? That's another person on payroll.

At least by selling to major department stores - they cut to order. Meaning they will order style x in color x and ask for a specific amount of each size. The only complication with that - is you will need to go off their specifications in box sizes/packaging. I doubt her product is made in the US which means she has to pay for shipping across the ocean and since 9/11 - there is a terrorism insurance that needs to be bought on most cargo. She also needs to provide a bunch of signage to the dept store so that her brand is clearly marked and displayed

I think this is a business she bit off more than she could chew.

• Useful 7
  • Love 3

I’m watching The Profit, and the featured business owner is Ana from RHOM! 

It’s a marinade company called “Skinny Latina.” I immediately thought, Oooh, Bethenny’s not gonna like that, Yogi!

Next thing I see is someone telling Ana that her illustrated logo is very similar to the SkinnyGirl logo.  😬

Good thing The Profit is getting to her before Bethenny does.

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
On 11/19/2019 at 1:02 AM, Sew Sumi said:

She's never been on QVC. Must have been HSN.

She sold her shapewear on QVC.  Epic fail, very bad reviews.   One appearance.  Then she peddled a blender, same result.   End of QVC career.  

QVC now owns HSN as far as I know.  

• Useful 5
  • Love 4

I wonder how Instagram works as far as charging for ads.  She peddles her wares on Instagram under her personal account.  Isn't it necessary to declare that an AD; she doesn't She also peddles under the SkinnyGirl account where I guess it is assumed obvious it is a paid ad.   The Kardashians do the same thing.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 11/21/2019 at 9:53 AM, weaver said:

She sold her shapewear on QVC.  Epic fail, very bad reviews.   One appearance.  Then she peddled a blender, same result.   End of QVC career.  

QVC now owns HSN as far as I know.  

Bethenny actually made money on her shapewear. She sells them regularly online - it's much more manageable because they only come in 3 sizes. They are still available in stores like Nordstroms. I can see her phasing these out when the inventory is gone because just about everyone has a shapewear line.

As for the blenders - I don't know how much money she made on them but she had partnered with an existing manufacturer. They only had a few prototypes to show to store buyers- and then they manufactured by store order. In other words - when Target bought them they ordered quantity x to arrive at their warehouse by day x. Target may not have re-ordered again but Bethenny made her money. No need to rent warehouse for storage because there were no overages.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
On 11/20/2019 at 11:53 PM, link417 said:

I’m watching The Profit, and the featured business owner is Ana from RHOM! 

It’s a marinade company called “Skinny Latina.” I immediately thought, Oooh, Bethenny’s not gonna like that, Yogi!

Next thing I see is someone telling Ana that her illustrated logo is very similar to the SkinnyGirl logo.  😬

Good thing The Profit is getting to her before Bethenny does.

Can already hear BF yelling “cheater brand!!!” 

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, KungFuBunny said:

Bethenny actually made money on her shapewear. She sells them regularly online - it's much more manageable because they only come in 3 sizes. They are still available in stores like Nordstroms. I can see her phasing these out when the inventory is gone because just about everyone has a shapewear line.

As for the blenders - I don't know how much money she made on them but she had partnered with an existing manufacturer. They only had a few prototypes to show to store buyers- and then they manufactured by store order. In other words - when Target bought them they ordered quantity x to arrive at their warehouse by day x. Target may not have re-ordered again but Bethenny made her money. No need to rent warehouse for storage because there were no overages.

Are you sure that's the same shapewear from 8 or so years ago?  The sexy corset type stuff that you could wear as clothing (HA!) ?   She peddled it on the show often, wore the corset type top .  The reviews on Q were scathing; nothing fit anybody.  She literally did not return to Q; they must have had an unbelievable return rate.     The shapewear she has now is part of the new line.   Yes, the blender was a known name she slapped the SG name on.   I forget the name, but everyone knew what it was and that it was available under the manufacturer's name much cheaper on other sites.   I agree she got her bucks even though the products failed.  She always does.  The question I always had is why do manufacturers want to partner with her given her record.  

• Love 6
On 11/17/2019 at 8:23 PM, Happy Camper said:

She's been on HSN all weekend pitching SkinnyGirl products while all of her ex castmates and the other Real Housewives were at Bravocon having a great time meeting fans, hanging out with each other and  promoting their brands. She missed out on a great opportunity to target the Bravo audience and connecting with her fans who would have been more likely to buy her products. What a shame. 

Her Instagram/instastories have basically morphed into one long commercial for Skinnygirl jeans, shapewear and other SkinnyShit. I strongly suspect that the Bethenny Show is never going to happen and she knows that Skinnygirl sales is her full time job now.

As Andy Warhol reportedly said, "In the future....."

Let’s face it.  Skinny Girl Jeans are for skinny girls, period.  When you are heavier, any jeans are good.  Why spend 80 bucks?

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Silver Bells said:

Let’s face it.  Skinny Girl Jeans are for skinny girls, period.  When you are heavier, any jeans are good.  Why spend 80 bucks?

At least she (or somebody) fixed the pricing error on her website and plus sizes don't cost almost twice as much.

• Love 4

I want to preface this by saying I’ve been both a lover and a hater of Bethenny over the years as I watched her on the show and read articles about her in the tabloids.  I just had to come to write something here after reading her latest rags to riches story on Instagram.  I don’t think she has any idea what it means for some people to struggle in this world.  I’m not talking about the people who have been devastated by weather related crisis, that’s something else entirely.  I’m talking about everyday Americans.  People whose parents could not afford for them to go attend college, buy a car, go skiing and on European vacations.  Pleeez!  By the way, there are plenty of ways to make wonderful family memories without money.  Her minions, leaving the comments on her Instagram, don’t get me started. 

• Love 19
31 minutes ago, Emmeline said:

I want to preface this by saying I’ve been both a lover and a hater of Bethenny over the years as I watched her on the show and read articles about her in the tabloids.  I just had to come to write something here after reading her latest rags to riches story on Instagram.  I don’t think she has any idea what it means for some people to struggle in this world.  I’m not talking about the people who have been devastated by weather related crisis, that’s something else entirely.  I’m talking about everyday Americans.  People whose parents could not afford for them to go attend college, buy a car, go skiing and on European vacations.  Pleeez!  By the way, there are plenty of ways to make wonderful family memories without money.  Her minions, leaving the comments on her Instagram, don’t get me started. 

Right? My grandfather came here from a different country, couldn't speak the language, worked in a coal mine then as a plumber (didn't get his journeyman's license because he couldn't read English). My father was the generation of white collar workers that got laid off to hire the college graduates with no experience, because they had college degrees and he didn't. These 2 men worked there asses off to make better lives for themselves and their families. Our generation of my family benefited from that ,but also understood and appreciated the effort that went into achieving that. She has no concept of what The American Dream really is, or true appreciation of what she has (through her privilege and her hard work), jmo.

• Love 14
2 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Wasn’t it revealed that her dad was helping her pay the rent on her apartment when she was on the show? I have no problem with parents helping out adult children but acknowledge that privilege. 

Not sure who was paying her rent, but someone obviously was since she didn't have a steady paycheck coming in those days. I know her building at the time well - it was your typical one bedroom small nyc apartment all the way toward the East River. Nice enough building, I think it was over a Greek restaurant that was there back then if I'm remembering correctly. Probably more than your average post-college graduate at a first job that wasn't on Wall Street could swing, but definitely not any fancy, prestigious NYC building. And she was renting, like many in NYC.

I know this really doesn't address who was paying her bills, but I think she's legitimate in that she wasn't living like a high roller back then. 

Something about her posts these days just rub me the wrong way. Now it's all her daughter is the center of her universe, as she should be, and she knows what matters now, and I'm sure it's all genuine, but there's still this element of this amazing life she can provide for her daughter with all these fancy, exclusive experiences. She works hard for her success, she should enjoy it and do cool things with her daughter. I just think the social media flaunting of it is so obnoxious. But that's kind of how I feel about social media in general. I get that most people post all that stuff. I'm just more of a fan of keeping family things private, especially when there's a divorce involved and highly charged dynamics and there's a good chance you are (or are purposely trying to) provoking the other side. But - that's why I'm not on reality tv so what do I know. 

• Love 9
2 hours ago, Rosiejuliemom said:

She’s such a self-centered jerk and think she’s so entitled.

I use Uber a lot because I travel for work and it is cheaper than renting a car. The drivers are hard working people making a living. I’ve only had two of dozens of drivers who I didn’t like.

Now of course I sat in the car either having a nice conversation with the driver, working or napping. I haven’t played musical instruments in the car so maybe I would have had more that I found objectionable.

• LOL 1
  • Love 13

Lord there is entitlement and than there is I demand that my kid be allowed to play a ukulele in an Uber level which is cray cray. At least most of the comments appear to think her complaint is ridiculous.

I just saw stills from her Insta and Brynn is going around playing her ukulele in a bunch of high end boutiques. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 18
34 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Lord there is entitlement and than there is I demand that my kid be allowed to play a ukulele in an Uber level which is cray cray. At least most of the comments appear to think her complaint is ridiculous.

Oh lord I just saw stills from her Insta and Brynn is going around playing her ukulele in a bunch of high end boutiques. 

I saw several of those instastories. Bethenny thought it was cute, putting Bryn on display in those boutiques pretending to play the Ukelele. Bryn's not even playing it, at least not real music. She's just randomly swiping her hands across the strings. No wonder the driver was annoyed. I noticed from the twitter comments that even people describing  themselves as fans thought that in this situation Bethenny is in the wrong and demonstrating her sense of entitlement. Bethenny being Bethenny of course, doubled down and is determined to hunt down this monster of an uber driver and make him donate the $30.00 to BStrong. Thirty Dollars! She states that she will spend $1000.00 to make this happen. 'Cause she's a "principled" girl.

She needs to stop taking Uber. She probably hasn't been able to get over the Uber driver who she wanted fired because he wouldn't drive her to her door and carry her luggage. 

As many commenters said, she should just hire a private driver when she goes away. It's not like she can't afford it. Not everyone is willing to kiss her ass like Albie does.

There was a recent blind item on Crazy Days and Nights. Not too hard to figure this one out.

"This former east coast Housewife has found no takers for any show pitches and has been spending a lot of her own money and her "benefactor's" money. She might need to head back to the franchise next season."

Edited by Happy Camper
  • Love 20
38 minutes ago, Happy Camper said:

Bethenny thought it was cute, putting Bryn on display in those boutiques pretending to play the Ukelele. Bryn's not even playing it, at least not real music. She's just randomly swiping her hands across the strings

Thankfully I only saw the stills so didn’t have to hear it though the look on some of the faces of the other people in the store indicated it wasn’t great.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, Hiyo said:

Bethenny takes Ubers? I thought she could afford a personal car and driver.

Yep this isn’t even the first time she has taken to twitter to complain about a driver, the last time she was mad because the driver didn’t help her with her bags.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 8
Just now, Hiyo said:

Eh, just give him a bad rating like the rest of us.

Or understand that Uber/Lyft is a cheap alternative and don’t expect the same level of service that you would get when the driver actually gets a significant portion of the fare and not a flat rate decided before they knew of your expectations. 

• Love 14

Just weighing in on the floral arrangement. I’ve got 30 years of floral design behind me and that’s a design that you would see coming from  an upscale New York store.  Everyday retail designs routinely are clustered short stem no design vases. They have a European look to them and you can find them in a reach in grocery store refrigerator.    This is creative high style design. It is something  you might also see in a floral design show.  The manipulation and painting of the foliage is fantastic and it’s solid orchids and tropical pincushion protea.  The Scott thing was very much like a funeral piece, or something to hang around a winning horses neck.  
 Most orders are done on the phone or internet and lots of people (men) don’t really know too much about the flowers they send once a year etc.  This arrangement speaks for the store and designer and it’s going to be remembered. It would look fantastic in a lobby or business too.  It goes with her design sense / home not everyone’s environment. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, athousandclowns said:

The Scott thing was very much like a funeral piece, or something to hang around a winning horses neck.  

This arrangement speaks for the store and designer and it’s going to be remembered.

Even upscale New York stores make mistakes.

• LOL 9
  • Love 3

his arrangement speaks for the store and designer and it’s going to be remembered

I literally had go back to remember what it looked like and why I didn’t like it. I hate painted arrangements. 

• Love 5

I saw the twitter brouhaha re Bryn and the ukulele and I am a B fan.  I will get that out of the way.  BUT, this poor guy was just doing his job and being harassed by bad music in his car.  His car, his rules.  His 1st priority is being safe and the next is making a buck.  Don't try and take the $30 he made honestly.  Don't use uber again, give him a bad rating, whatever.  I would also be irritated AF if I had to listen to some kid strumming her ukulele while shopping or whathaveyou.  If said ukulele player was Jake Shimabukuro?  Play all day long wherever you want.  Some pampered non playing child?  That is what home and school recitals are for.  Can't excuse this one B!

• Love 23

Don't people know not to order fish when she is at the next table? Is this guy trying to kill her?

I don't think it caused her any trauma, more she was just shocked to see it.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Hiyo said:

I don't think it caused her any trauma, more she was just shocked to see it.

Yeah, the cartoon eyes 👀 seemed like they were meant to draw attention to the fish’s eyes.

Reminds me of the duck scene from A Christmas Story: “It’s LOOKING at me!”

• LOL 4

She needs to stop taking Uber. 

It's a profound injustice few of us peons will ever understand, Happy Camper: the divine right of an uber (heh) wealthy child to play an instrument against the driver's wishes. I'm so moved to sympathy for Bethenny's plight, I'm currently playing the world's tiniest ukelele ; )

Bethenny being Bethenny of course, doubled down and is determined to hunt down this monster of an uber driver and make him donate the $30.00 to BStrong. Thirty Dollars! She states that she will spend $1000.00 to make this happen. 'Cause she's a "principled" girl.

Unfairly attacking someone on social media is now proof of her principles and charity? Jesus.  The driver is lucky Frankel didn't pull her other punk move (throwing water on people) while demanding he donate to the Flint water fund.

Edited by film noire
  • LOL 10
  • Love 7