Type keyword(s) to search

Bethenny Frankel: Skinny Girl

• Start Topic

3 minutes ago, PhilMarlowe2 said:

Is it just me or is it really weird branding to have a baker holding a tray full of cookies in the logo for a cocktail line?

Not just you, but guessing her dog Cookie may have had something to do with the cookies on the tray

• Love 4
11 minutes ago, PhilMarlowe2 said:

Is it just me or is it really weird branding to have a baker holding a tray full of cookies in the logo for a cocktail line?

I suspect this logo was initially used for her baked goods and she just added the SKG/glass as an example for Alex to follow.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, QuinnM said:

I don't think this one is Alex's.  This is what B gave Alex to work with.  It has a chef with cookies.  So Alex was going to work it to cocktails.

The point was that Bethenny did not originally call it Skinnygirl.

• Love 2

Clearly, Bethenny named the drink! I also remember Luann flat out asking Bethenny "What did you call it?" THEN Luann ordered the drink that Bethenny called Skinny Girl Margarita. 

Alyson-Hannigan-Yes.gif

Girl's or Girl the drink and name were clearly Bethany's.

giphy.gif

Wiat. What? We are disagreeing over an S in the name? LOL! That is hilarious!!! hahahahahaha!!!!!! 

And an apostrophe. Damn you, little apostrophe!

tenor.gif

• Love 6
(edited)
6 hours ago, Martinigirl said:

I need one of the tasty martinis, please. I have completely lost it! I thought I was debating Skinny Girl ...not the S placement. LOL! Give me two of those dang martinis!!!

You may have been debating Skinnny Girl but you should know this group by now, me included, we can take anything and disagree about some minor aspect of it. ;-)

Still I'd share my olives with you. "Clink!"

Edited by Giselle
  • Love 9
(edited)
1 hour ago, Giselle said:

we can take anything and disagree about some minor aspect of it. ;-)

As it should be -- praise Jesus,  Sister Giselle!! -- but please, could we not lose sight of the fact that the controversy is not just about an S,  but AN APOSTROPHE?

GODDAMN PUNCTUATION IS INVOLVED HERE, PEOPLE.

IF WE DON'T STAY ON TOP OF THIS, WE MIGHT FACE AN AMPERSAND INVASION.

Edited by film noire
never mind an umlaut looking for trouble
  • Love 13

I'm confused.

There was Skinny Cow. Ice cream with fewer calories.

Beth created Skinny Girl Margarita.

Peter approached Ramona, then Sonja, about Tipsy Girl.

Tipsy Girl infringes upon Skinny Girl, but Skinny Girl doesn't infringe upon Skinny Cow?

At the same time, in my opinion 

Skinny Girl Margarita 

Skinny Girls' Margarita 

Skinny Girl's Margarita 

A Skinny Girl's Margarita

The Skinny Girl's Margarita 

pretty much the same thing, no?

• Love 3
4 hours ago, film noire said:

As it should be -- praise Jesus,  Sister Giselle!! -- but please, could we not lose sight of the fact that the controversy is not just about an S,  but AN APOSTROPHE?

As long as we don't start debating the oxford comma. 

47 minutes ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

I'm confused.

Tipsy Girl infringes upon Skinny Girl, but Skinny Girl doesn't infringe upon Skinny Cow?

Skinny Girl Margarita 

Skinny Girls' Margarita 

Skinny Girl's Margarita 

If I remember correctly, part of it was the names were similar in the same industry. So, Skinny Cow is ice cream but Skinny Girl wasn't ice cream so it wouldn't create confusion. Also, Bethenny pointed out that the alcohol regulatory agency would have issues with the name having Tipsy in it since they try to steer away from anything promoting drunkness or irresponsible behavior.

• Love 9
(edited)

Yeah, the correlation between Skinny Girl booze and Tipsy Girl booze is a bit stronger that Skinny Girl booze and Skinny Cow ice cream.

Heck, while I do expect comments from people not being able to differentiate between Bethenny and the cow, from a realistic POV the logos aren't similar at all, and wouldn't cause confusion among consumers.

Feature_1.pngSkinny-Cow-Logo.gif

Speaking of Tipsy Girl, this on the internet did make me chuckle:

Skinnygirl_Tipsy_Girl.jpg

Edited by BBHN
  • Love 10
(edited)

Skinnygirl-Candy-line.jpg20110506-skinny-cow-body.jpg

original@2x.png81gpTDryBNL._SY450_.jpg

One could make the argument that SkinnyGirl has moved into being it's own brand now, so that there wouldn't be confusion between SG and other products.

Now, had she begun with SkinnyGirl pop corn, instead of booze? That might be a different discussion...

Edited by BBHN
  • Love 6
(edited)
1 hour ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

I'm confused.

Skinny Girl Margarita 

Skinny Girls' Margarita 

Skinny Girl's Margarita 

Oh I see...you're one of those who think its absolutely fine that "Girl" is used as a derrogatory name for a cow! That's just mean! Girls are nothing like cows. Cows are beautiful and kind. Girls are ungraceful and tempermental. Nothing like a cow.

ISFOS!

Edited by Giselle
ISFOS = I'm so full of shit. ;-)
  • Love 6
5 hours ago, film noire said:

Umlauts.

Sometimes you got those fuckers hanging over your head?

------------

Beffy is doing a movie!

It's called "SHAKEN".

The story revolves around a woman who is 'shaken' by life and has to make everyone around her pay for it.

the tagline is "She has a specific set of ills".

• Love 4

Ok, now with the discussion of trademarks and such this has all come full circle with Luann and the 'S'.

Bethenny answered in twitter that you can't trademark the word Skinny.  So she can't trademark Skinny Girl or Skinny Girls or Skinny Girls'.  She can trademark SkinnyGirl or SkinnyGirls or SkinnyGirls'.  So I suggest that she spoke to a branding expert and unlike Sonja listened.  They said the only trademark that makes sense is SkinnyGirl.  Trademark that and make that your brand.  So she lost the 'S' due to trademark process and not because Luann is a branding savant. (Side note she trademarked TipsyGirl just because.)

Now when you trademark you have to say your category and she has added to her list over and over.  Luggage, make up and on and on. 

Skinny Cow is not tradmarked.  It's just a name.  So the lawsuit is harder.  I suspect that you would have to sue claiming confusion over which product you were buying.  I sometimes do find myself buying alcohol when I really want chocolate ice cream.  So John's sceevy friend might have a claim.

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, Giselle said:

Oh I see...you're one of those who think its absolutely fine that "Girl" is used as a derrogatory name for a cow! That's just mean! Girls are nothing like cows. Cows are beautiful and kind. Girls are ungraceful and tempermental. Nothing like a cow.

ISFOS!

Cow eyes.

Beautiful, full, brown eyes.

When we drive across country, The cows always get a shout out.

Always.

One of beffy's best features are her eyes, there is a fire in them.

Too bad the are stuck in the head of a maniac.

• Love 3
28 minutes ago, QuinnM said:

Ok, now with the discussion of trademarks and such this has all come full circle with Luann and the 'S'.

Bethenny answered in twitter that you can't trademark the word Skinny.  So she can't trademark Skinny Girl or Skinny Girls or Skinny Girls'.  She can trademark SkinnyGirl or SkinnyGirls or SkinnyGirls'.  So I suggest that she spoke to a branding expert and unlike Sonja listened.  They said the only trademark that makes sense is SkinnyGirl.  Trademark that and make that your brand.  So she lost the 'S' due to trademark process and not because Luann is a branding savant. (Side note she trademarked TipsyGirl just because.)

Now when you trademark you have to say your category and she has added to her list over and over.  Luggage, make up and on and on. 

Skinny Cow is not tradmarked.  It's just a name.  So the lawsuit is harder.  I suspect that you would have to sue claiming confusion over which product you were buying.  I sometimes do find myself buying alcohol when I really want chocolate ice cream.  So John's sceevy friend might have a claim.

Oh..... she's using the "apple method". Nobody can use a friggin "i" anymore without apple  getting their knickers  in a twist.

35 minutes ago, ElDosEquis said:

Umlauts.

Sometimes you got those fuckers hanging over your head?

Don't poke the bear "El".

FilmNoir is already using caps.

Pointing out the vast field of punctuation quicksand will start that vein in the front of "FN's" forehead to start throbbing and we'll all be in trouble!

• Love 4

Oh..... she's using the "apple method". Nobody can use a friggin "i" anymore without apple  getting their knickers  in a twist.

Not true.  There is an iwatch and there is an Apple Watch.  It's first come first serve.  If you had that i trademarked Apple has to pay you for ownership.  They have been successful with some but maybe the iwatch people don't care.  They want their iwatch and not the money.

Amazon was having a wonderful time until they decided to sell books.  There is a small but active Lesbian bookstore in MN named Amazon.  And they had all kinds of legal paperwork all filed long before Amazon the behemoth.  And they shipped all over the world.  And they had all kinds of legal paperwork in other states.  So big company Amazon negotiated instead of sued.  We don't know what the offer was but gossip locally says that this little book store owns a nice piece of the big Amazon and gets a nice check every quarter.  Everyone's happy.

Different solutions still a good result.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, QuinnM said:

I don't drink so I substitute chocolate in for the liquor.  LOL.

• Love 3
15 hours ago, Giselle said:

Girl's or Girl the drink and name were clearly Bethany's.

Right? The actual words used didn't change. Arguing over the addition or removal of an apostrophe is insanely petty, to me. It's B's drink, B's name, and that's that. 

• Love 7
(edited)
1 hour ago, ghoulina said:

Right? The actual words used didn't change. Arguing over the addition or removal of an apostrophe is insanely petty, to me. It's B's drink, B's name, and that's that. 

Now we get to bitch about if the name excludes a whole segment of consumers, fluffy females and mature women. Also, does it name on some level suggest that we all want to be skinnygirls. 

No offence to those among us  of slender build (you rock that!) But some of us are "all about that bass" and others are of an excellent vintage.

After we chew that one over and spit it out we can come up with something else to pick on and bat about.

Just stay away from punctuation that's a hot topic for Film Noir.

Edited by Giselle
On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 9:23 PM, Happy Camper said:

http://www.eonline.com/news/860643/meet-bethenny-frankel-s-new-man-5-things-to-know-about-russ-theriot

If this is true then Russ TheRiot better run quick, on account of number 5.

Two weeks ago Bethenny was "open for business" and it was all about putting Bethenny back into gear and getting back into the dating game.  Why make such a claim if she is dating someone?  Seems kind of attention grabbing ploy.  I never know when to believe this woman.  It is not as if Bethenny is Taylor Swift-she is a twice divorced woman pushing fifty.  Do serious business moguls make  these contrived PR moves about their personal life?  It just doesn't seem to be necessary-on either level the "open for business" or the new guy. 

• Love 5
(edited)

Two weeks ago Bethenny was "open for business" and it was all about putting Bethenny back into gear and getting back into the dating game.  Why make such a claim if she is dating someone? 

She started dating him after she made those comments?

It is not as if Bethenny is Taylor Swift-she is a twice divorced woman pushing fifty

Off to Spinster City Condos for her, on the corner of "You're Almost 50, Your Life is Over" Ave. and "Women of a Certain Age Don't Get to Have Fun Anymore" Street.

Do serious business moguls make  these contrived PR moves about their personal life?  It just doesn't seem to be necessary-on either level the "open for business" or the new guy. 

Who said it's a PR stunt? I mean, he's an attractive, successful guy. What woman (of any age), and some men as well, wouldn't be interested in that?

Edited by BBHN
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, ghoulina said:

Arguing over the addition or removal of an apostrophe is insanely petty, to me. 

It matters to the little apostrophe. O, ghoulina, where is your heart? Think, won't you, of the little apostrophe!   ;-}

It's B's drink, B's name, and that's that. 

I've seen those 3 apostrophes in your comment on a milk carton. Prepare to return them to their families, forthwith!

d145f55ebbc242c7d1a495cdb7b4ad9a.jpg

• Love 7
4 hours ago, BBHN said:

20110506-skinny-cow-body.jpg

O/T snack tip for chocolate lovers: The dark choco dreamy clusters will make your soul sing. Highly addictive.

OK, back to our irregularly scheduled punctuation lesson.

giphy.gif

• Love 6
(edited)
9 minutes ago, steelcitysister said:

giphy.gif

When did Dorinda grow that mole?

She's always shouting about "making it nice", which episode was this picture from?

Edited by Giselle
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Giselle said:

Don't poke the bear "El".

FilmNoir is already using caps.

Pointing out the vast field of punctuation quicksand will start that vein in the front of "FN's" forehead to start throbbing and we'll all be in trouble!

Apologies,  Will we be discussing usage, pronunciation or spelling later on?

• Love 4
1 minute ago, Giselle said:

Can't tell. The boards can be very serendipitous. 

Agreed, but now I am a little curious as to what MIGHT set beffy off.

A subjugated verb? Or a proper usage miscue? The 'their/there, affect/effect" controversies?

• Love 3
Just now, ElDosEquis said:

Agreed, but now I am a little curious as to what MIGHT set beffy off.

A subjugated verb? Or a proper usage miscue? The 'their/there, affect/effect" controversies?

None of those, try a particular proper noun. 

"Jason" whispered in her ear.

• Love 6
(edited)
4 hours ago, zoeysmom said:

Two weeks ago Bethenny was "open for business" and it was all about putting Bethenny back into gear and getting back into the dating game.  Why make such a claim if she is dating someone?  Seems kind of attention grabbing ploy.  I never know when to believe this woman.  It is not as if Bethenny is Taylor Swift-she is a twice divorced woman pushing fifty.  Do serious business moguls make  these contrived PR moves about their personal life?  It just doesn't seem to be necessary-on either level the "open for business" or the new guy. 

Bethenny could be like Gwen Stefani who is another one of those women who can't be alone. Gwen is like the proto Taylor Swift. Gwen is 47. How many freaking songs did Gwen write about how Tony Kanal wouldn't marry her or give her a baby? She marries Garvin and has 3 kids. They separate and 3 months later she's with Blake Shelton. 

We always look at LuAnn because she very vocal about needing to be with a guy. Bethenny isn't, but if you look at her history, she's rarely gone more than a couple of months without getting into some relationship.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 6
20 hours ago, steelcitysister said:

And an apostrophe. Damn you, little apostrophe!

tenor.gif

I don't know if Bethenny cares about the apostrophe as much as she cares about how many commas she has in the bank account

giphy.gif

• Love 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, KungFuBunny said:

I don't know if Bethenny cares about the apostrophe as much as she cares about how many commas she has in the bank account

giphy.gif

66803546.jpg

Edited by steelcitysister
Well, hell, why not?!?!
  • Love 4
24 minutes ago, HunterHunted said:

Bethenny could be like Gwen Stefani who is another one of those women who can't be alone. Gwen is like the proto Taylor Swift. Gwen is 47. How many freaking songs did Gwen write about how Tony Kanal wouldn't marry her or give her a baby? She marries Garvin and has 3 kids. They separate and 3 months later she's with Blake Shelton. 

We always look at LuAnn because she very vocal about needing to be with a guy. Bethenny isn't, but if you at her history, she's rarely gone more than a couple of months without getting into some relationship.

The longer the saga continues the more similarities there are between the cast.  I think of Luann as wanting to be with a guy.  She likes the companionship.  Ramona just wants someone who will make the others jealous. At some point most of them have proven they can be independent (except Jules) and they all seem to want to be in a relationship. 

Gwen got pretty unceremoniously dumped by Gavin.  What a great rebound guy be it three months or three years later.  I find Blake very entertaining.

• Love 4
28 minutes ago, KungFuBunny said:

bethenny-frankel-boyfriend-russ-theriot-

Bethenny looks bad, really bad here, so much so that she looks more like his mother than his "date". I wonder if something is going on with her, she is paler than normal, which ages her.

• Love 2
(edited)
7 hours ago, QuinnM said:

Skinny Cow is not tradmarked.  It's just a name.  So the lawsuit is harder.  

Pretty sure Skinny Cow is trademarked:  

https://trademarks.justia.com/789/79/skinny-78979610.html

I think the lack of lawsuit is that Skinnygirl is so small compared to Nestle, it would only garner them bad publicity -- Frankel could easily play it as a single mom fighting a giant global corporation (even I would support that fight, and that's saying a lot).

5 hours ago, ghoulina said:

Right? The actual words used didn't change. Arguing over the addition or removal of an apostrophe is insanely petty, to me. 

I think these "small" things make a big difference in branding (or so Don Draper taught me ; )  

IBMs would sound like a digestive canal issue;  Campbell soup sounds less generous (and less homey) than Campbell's soup -- but Nivea's sounds less magical than Nivea -- and if nothing else, losing that S made the name more pleasing to the ear (Skinnygirl vs Skinny Girl's or Skinny Girls'). And a drink belonging to a skinny girl is different (psychologically) for the consumer than a drink without that association, imo.

3 hours ago, ElDosEquis said:

Apologies,  Will we be discussing usage, pronunciation or spelling later on?

Yes.

BUT  IF THERE'S ANY FIGHTING OVER HOW TO PRONOUNCE "FLACCID". I WILL TURN THIS THREAD AROUND AND TAKE US RIGHT HOME AND THEN NOBODY WILL GET TO SEE SIX FLAGS STRUNK AND WHITE GREAT ADVENTURE!

Edited by film noire
  • Love 7
(edited)
7 hours ago, Giselle said:

Girls are nothing like cows. Cows are beautiful and kind. Girls are ungraceful and tempermental. 

ISFOS!

And what about SkinnyCowgirl? (Ree Drummond's new brand).

~JFWY

Edited by film noire
just fucking with you ; )
1 hour ago, film noire said:

BUT  IF THERE'S ANY FIGHTING OVER HOW TO PRONOUNCE "FLACCID". I WILL TURN THIS THREAD AROUND AND TAKE US RIGHT HOME AND THEN NOBODY WILL GET TO SEE SIX FLAGS STRUNK AND WHITE GREAT ADVENTURE!

Awwwwwwwwwwww..............we'll behave, PROMISE!

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Giselle said:

None of those, try a particular proper noun. 

"Jason" whispered in her ear.

We can only wonder what are the magic words that get her to settle down?

"TV project", maybe?

• Love 3