Type keyword(s) to search

Bethenny Frankel: Skinny Girl

• Start Topic

12 hours ago, Rap541 said:

I do think people want to remember that some chefs etc also have streaks of "asshole" in their personality and don't like guests who whine and moan about special dietary needs and act accordingly. There's too many stories of chefs bragging how they serve food using meat products to vegans because "they really can't tell the difference hahahah" for me to believe all chefs gravely nod and are fully transparent and attentive to every guest's allergy needs.

That’s just disgusting!

• Love 7
On 12/20/2018 at 10:08 AM, Rap541 said:

I do think people want to remember that some chefs etc also have streaks of "asshole" in their personality and don't like guests who whine and moan about special dietary needs and act accordingly. There's too many stories of chefs bragging how they serve food using meat products to vegans because "they really can't tell the difference hahahah" for me to believe all chefs gravely nod and are fully transparent and attentive to every guest's allergy needs.

I would respectfully disagree.  Feeding a vegetarian meat out of spite is different than ignoring an allergy request.  From my time in hospitality, that was one of the few requests that were adhered to every time, without fail.  No one wants to murder someone.  Laugh at their dietary/lifestyle choices behind their backs?  Sure.  But not hurting someone.  

With that said, sure.  There are a few assholes out there.  But even the most asshole-ish of chefs that I worked with wasn't that terrible.

• Love 8

Bethenny is allergic to fin fish okay. But she hosted a party a few years ago where she served caviar.  Doesn't caviar come from sturgeon? I have never heard of anyone with a life threatening food allergy serving the food in their home that would cause an allergic reaction. It would be a big risk.  Also don't get that this reaction came so fast that her epipen wouldn't have worked. Does she carry it at all times?  My granddaughter has a severe nut allergy. We never go anywhere without the epipen. I think this would work quicker than a dose of Benadryl.  Not doubting her story but it seems like she takes a lot of risks .  

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, 65mickey said:

Bethenny is allergic to fin fish okay. But she hosted a party a few years ago where she served caviar.  Doesn't caviar come from sturgeon?

Did a copy/paste:

Can you be allergic to caviar?

Allergies for the 1 Percent. At $345 an ounce, beluga caviar is one of the priciest fish products on the market. ... And caviar -- made from the salt-cured eggs of the beluga sturgeon and its relatives -- can trigger dangerous allergic reactions, including anaphylaxis, according to a 2002 study.Apr 24, 2013

9 Allergy Triggers for the 1 Percent - ABC News

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/Allergies/allergy-triggers-percent/story?id=19014850

2 hours ago, 65mickey said:

Bethenny is allergic to fin fish okay. But she hosted a party a few years ago where she served caviar.  Doesn't caviar come from sturgeon? I have never heard of anyone with a life threatening food allergy serving the food in their home that would cause an allergic reaction. It would be a big risk.  Also don't get that this reaction came so fast that her epipen wouldn't have worked. Does she carry it at all times?  My granddaughter has a severe nut allergy. We never go anywhere without the epipen. I think this would work quicker than a dose of Benadryl.  Not doubting her story but it seems like she takes a lot of risks .  

I feel like this is an instance where the caviar is easy to avoid, I can be in a room with fish as long as I don't eat it I'm fine, it isn't like the nut allergy where even breathing it in can get you. As for the epi-pen stuff, I know my doctors have told me if I ever have to use it that I should use it, take Benadryl and call 911 all at the same time. My understanding is basically that the epi-pen stops the reaction long enough for the Benadryl to work and that you want the ambulance there in case both things aren't enough and they have to insert a breathing tube or do a tracheotomy to help you breathe etc. I have accidentally eaten something with fish in it and taken a double dose of Benadryl to stop the reaction before it started. Like, I ate a deviled egg and said "this tastes weird, is there something in it besides the normal ingredients?" and I was told, "yes! Shrimp!" (I'm allergic to both fish and shellfish - and nuts and loads of other things) so I immediately took 4 Benadryl and sat with my epi-pen in hand in case the reaction started before the medicine could work. It all depends on if you catch that you ate the thing before the reaction starts, and then if you didn't if the reaction is bad enough the epi-pen isn't going to be enough and I assume that's what Bethenny meant by her "reaction was so fast the epi-pen wouldn't work" because I have been told by my doctor that you have to do all 3, epi-pen, Benadryl and 911 once the reaction starts. 

• Love 7

I know that once you use the epipen you have to call 911 immediately. It only lasts for a brief period of time.  My point is why in the world would anyone have a food in their home when this food could kill you? That little spoon that they were using to dip out the caviar could have been accidentally stuck into another dip or spread causing cross contamination.   

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, 65mickey said:

I know that once you use the epipen you have to call 911 immediately. It only lasts for a brief period of time.  My point is why in the world would anyone have a food in their home when this food could kill you? That little spoon that they were using to dip out the caviar could have been accidentally stuck into another dip or spread causing cross contamination.   

I get it, I just think in her situation I may be like "I want to throw this party, I can easily avoid eating anything" and just do it. I make bourbon balls every year that have crushed walnuts in them and I wear gloves and a surgical mask so as to not contaminate myself and then I just don't eat them at the party. It isn't super hard, the caviar was a whole "thing"  I always assumed was some sort of brand deal/promotion/something with Bravo because they said the name of the company like 100 times (sorta like when Priv comes to get them ready).  

• Love 3

It appears that Bethenny's reactions to fish have been ramping up in severity over the last few years, which can and does happen with repeated exposure to some things.  Any allergy can turn to anaphalaxsis  (I can't spell that word to save my life), pretty much at any time, which is why you should always be prepared with epi pens, etc.  Some people are allergic to peanuts, but just get a rash or itchy eyes, and other people have an airborne allergy.  It seems like Bethenny's allergy previously was one where it wasn't a huge problem, she was just kind of uncomfortable if she ate fish, so she avoided it, but now it's at a way serious level.  But, before, it wouldn't be that strange to me for her to serve it.  I am lactose intolerant but I serve cheesecake, for example.  If a knife or serving utensil was used on the cheesecake and another dessert and I ate a bit of it, I'm not going to die, I'll just have a bit of gastrointestinal discomfort.  I could eat an entire piece of cheesecake if I really wanted to, but, honestly, it doesn't taste good enough to spend that much time uncomfortable.  

There are lots of people who mean well but don’t get what can be a problem for someone who is allergic.  Some chefs just don't know that yes, this particular ingredient IS harmful to that person with that allergy.  Others may think it doesn't matter.  Sometimes people have misguided beliefs about things, too.  I am allergic to dogs, I have yet to find one I can tolerate being around for more than 10 minutes without my eyes getting super itchy, but, yet I have a friend who insists that HER dog wouldn't be a problem.  The other dogs that I react to (literally, every dog I've encountered in my life), are just dirty and she keeps her dog clean and so I'm reacting to the dirt and something on their skin, not the actual dog?  I'm just like, umm, ok, I guess.  Luckily, it's a person I don't encounter in a situation with her dog, so I don't have to test it, but, this sort of thing happens with all allergies.

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, smores said:

I could eat an entire piece of cheesecake if I really wanted to, but, honestly, it doesn't taste good enough to spend that much time uncomfortable.  

I don't have a lactose/dairy allergy, but I wouldn't walk across the street for cheesecake.  I thought I was the only one!  I would have never been cast for Golden Girls.  😉

• Love 7
5 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I don't have a lactose/dairy allergy, but I wouldn't walk across the street for cheesecake.  I thought I was the only one!  I would have never been cast for Golden Girls.  😉

Me three! I’ll eat cheesecake from Cheesecake Factory if a) there are copious amounts of whipped cream or b) it’s not cheesecake, it’s regular cake. ;)

• Love 5
23 hours ago, smores said:

It appears that Bethenny's reactions to fish have been ramping up in severity over the last few years, which can and does happen with repeated exposure to some things.  Any allergy can turn to anaphalaxsis  (I can't spell that word to save my life), pretty much at any time, which is why you should always be prepared with epi pens, etc.  Some people are allergic to peanuts, but just get a rash or itchy eyes, and other people have an airborne allergy.  It seems like Bethenny's allergy previously was one where it wasn't a huge problem, she was just kind of uncomfortable if she ate fish, so she avoided it, but now it's at a way serious level.  But, before, it wouldn't be that strange to me for her to serve it.  I am lactose intolerant but I serve cheesecake, for example.  If a knife or serving utensil was used on the cheesecake and another dessert and I ate a bit of it, I'm not going to die, I'll just have a bit of gastrointestinal discomfort.  I could eat an entire piece of cheesecake if I really wanted to, but, honestly, it doesn't taste good enough to spend that much time uncomfortable.  

There are lots of people who mean well but don’t get what can be a problem for someone who is allergic.  Some chefs just don't know that yes, this particular ingredient IS harmful to that person with that allergy.  Others may think it doesn't matter.  Sometimes people have misguided beliefs about things, too.  I am allergic to dogs, I have yet to find one I can tolerate being around for more than 10 minutes without my eyes getting super itchy, but, yet I have a friend who insists that HER dog wouldn't be a problem.  The other dogs that I react to (literally, every dog I've encountered in my life), are just dirty and she keeps her dog clean and so I'm reacting to the dirt and something on their skin, not the actual dog?  I'm just like, umm, ok, I guess.  Luckily, it's a person I don't encounter in a situation with her dog, so I don't have to test it, but, this sort of thing happens with all allergies.

Let me tell ya, it isn’t just chefs. I have no food allergies but I am allergic to three different prescription drugs (Includijg amoxicillin) and adhesives. When I had my youngest, the doctor had written a script for me to get antibiotics for a week (I had a horrid sinus infection) which turned out to be amoxicillin. They also had adhesive bandages put over two IV lines, the epidural, and going across the c-section incision. I was covered in hives for three weeks and my O2 in the hospital never even got into the 90’s (of which they never investigated why or discussed putting me on supplemental oxygen). And this was in the healthcare system!  Allergies just aren’t taken seriously by anybody which is frustrating. 

Edited by diadochokinesis
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, diadochokinesis said:

Let me tell ya, it isn’t just chefs. I have no food allergies but I am allergic to three different prescription drugs (Includijg amoxicillin) and adhesives. When I had my youngest, the doctor had written a script for me to get antibiotics for a week (I had a horrid sinus infection) which turned out to be amoxicillin. They also had adhesive bandages put over two IV lines, the epidural, and going across the c-section incision. I was covered in hives for three weeks and my O2 in the hospital never even got into the 90’s (of which they never investigated why or discussed putting me on supplemental oxygen). And this was in the healthcare system!  Allergies just aren’t taken seriously by anybody which is frustrating. 

OMG!  I have a weird allergy to the super common OTC topical antibiotics.  When you're a kid in the 80s and you fall on the playground and cut yourself, you go to the nurse, they slap a bandaid covered in neosporin on your knee and send you on your way.  I would pipe up and say, I'm allergic to that, can I have a plain bandaid?  She'd tell me no, no one is allergic to neosporin, and slap the bandaid on me.  I'd go home, take it off, replace it with a regular one, but the cut, surprisingly didn't heal well, so 2 days later, I'm back requesting a new bandaid.  It took forever and my mother ripping her a new one for her to finally get that whether she had heard of it or not, I AM allergic and if she put one more bandaid on me that had anything on it, it was not going to end well for her.  

• Love 4
16 hours ago, smores said:

OMG!  I have a weird allergy to the super common OTC topical antibiotics.  When you're a kid in the 80s and you fall on the playground and cut yourself, you go to the nurse, they slap a bandaid covered in neosporin on your knee and send you on your way.  I would pipe up and say, I'm allergic to that, can I have a plain bandaid?  She'd tell me no, no one is allergic to neosporin, and slap the bandaid on me.  I'd go home, take it off, replace it with a regular one, but the cut, surprisingly didn't heal well, so 2 days later, I'm back requesting a new bandaid.  It took forever and my mother ripping her a new one for her to finally get that whether she had heard of it or not, I AM allergic and if she put one more bandaid on me that had anything on it, it was not going to end well for her.  

You’re not alone!  I learned a couple of years ago I have the same thing.  Can use “polysporin” though.

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, stewedsquash said:

I spy with my little eye...Brynn.

Yes, of course ! She's such a wonderful mother who takes her daughter in exotic locations, in order to let her grow learning other cultures and countries ^_^

(EDIT : and I will post it, because I'm thinking about that since a few days.... So yes ! Even at surviving on the verge of death, she's better than anyone ! SHE quite died, but survived.... And I DON'T mean that what happened to her wasn't real at all, only that she HAD to talk about it, etc.... )

Edited by Diane Mars
  • Love 6
On 9/28/2018 at 2:27 PM, ShawnaLanne said:

I'm unsure how Bethenny's clothes in either of these pictures compare to Carole's wanna be high fashion but really 15 year old hot topic knock off choices. 

I personally often find Bethenny's looks too safe. I would like Carole's looks more if they weren't such an odd combination off "unique" try too hard yet, bought the whole look, thing. Like one or two things look good off the runway but let's mix and match and try to inject some actual personal style.

I like Bethenny's pants and heels here, but think the leather jacket and hat are too heavy.

I agree. Beth has often said she’s not really a fashion person and I believe her. Saying she’s not super into fashion isn’t the same as not liking new clothes or not liking shopping. It means more that you don’t follow the industry for fun. I’m a fashion girl, my best friend isn’t. We probably shop about the same amount, she actually usually spends a little more on clothes per year then I do. Difference is I really like following new designers and trends and putting together looks. The outfit is always the best part of an event for me. For her clothes are clothes. She likes to look nice and incorporates new stuff, but her basic look is pretty much the same and pretty conservative (in a fashion sense). Beth is that way to me, just with more expensive stuff. She has a couple of looks that work on her and she always gravates toward whatever designer is doing that type of stuff. I could honestly buy that when she’s not being filmed or photographed or something she doesn’t think all that much about her clothes. They are a tool for her. A tool she is pretty good with, but a tool all the same. I think Beth really loves home design. I think she’s fine with clothes.

• Love 6

Wait, the allergic reaction happened in PR? 

Think back to the people of PR after the hurricane asshole Bethenny who had literally nothing. You have bags of money. Satchels of Gold as it were, let them keep your hotel room $ and move the fuck on. Bethenny is such a total scumbag. 

• Love 8

Hehe maybe I have listened to too many ranting customers who aren't poor but if I was taking this as a call to the credit card to dispute the charge? It's not entirely unreasonable. A lot of people without trip insurance will ask for, and get, credit on their card or the charge pushed to a future reservation. And pretty much all the consumer websites soundly encourage people to make a big public stink if they don't get satisfaction from a vendor.

If she was in the hospital during the time she was supposed to be at the hotel, it surprises me the hotel isn't just writing it off. Now, if the planned stay was more than a week after the hospital incident, then I think they're right to say no, as Bethenny clearly is well enough to travel. 

• Love 5

Anyone catch Bethenny on Shark Tank? She came across as a ruthless and cold biotch, this isn't really an insult or compliment, just my impression, it sorta confirmed a side of her I thought she has from her housewives appearances.

• Love 3

Wait, the allergic reaction happened in PR? 

No, that's part of why I'm so confused. She tweeted about being at a hospital in the NE, maybe Massachusetts, I don't remember, so that's why I don't think she was at the hotel at all when it happened and she's just making a stink about her vacation plans changing.

• Love 3

Bethenny has really taken to Twittershaming companies that don’t immediately do her bidding. In addition to making the company look bad to her fans, it also garners sympathy and it provides a way for her to milk donations and comp products out of others.

• Love 9

From  AllergicLiving.com:  "Seafood can be divided into two groups: shellfish and fish. Shrimp is behind most of the reactions, and shellfish as a group – which can include oysters, mussels, scallops, squid, crab, snails and many more – tends to be more problematic than finned fish. (In one survey by FAAN and Mount Sinai researchers, 2 per cent of respondents reported a shellfish allergy, whereas just 0.4 per cent reported an allergy to fish.)"

Another source I read out of Australia estimated that 1/2 of 1 percent (.05) "of the population" had a fin fish allergy.  I couldn't ascertain if they were referring to worldwide or Australian population.  In any event, it would seem to me that if ^these numbers are remotely accurate, the onus is on the afflicted, not the airline.  I realize that it is expensive to travel by private transport, but still.

Here's another option - 

s-l640.jpg

• Love 11

So, just saw this. A whole plane full of people had to be turned around because they served fish on the plane.

https://people.com/home/bethenny-frankels-pilot-made-the-right-call-to-turn-plane-around-after-allergy-scare-expert/

And someone previously posted this - sorry for the duplication.

I know why they remove peanuts from some flights and why cats aren’t allowed on board where someone is allergic to cat dander. These are air-borne allergies. Did Bethenny’s fish allergy all of the sudden become an airborne allergy? 

If I had been on that plane and missed my connection or an important event because of her I would have been livid.

My body can’t process gluten, but it’s not an airborne allergy. It’s frustrating when I can’t get peanuts as a snack on the plane because someone’s allergic because everything else contains gluten. However, it’s up to me to bring my own alternatives. I do the same thing if I go to a charity luncheon. 

Everyone else’s worlds’ do not revolve around me and my gluten issues. I am an adult who has options. Unlike Bethenny my options don’t include being able to fly first class all the time or ability to rent a private jet.

I do realize that her allergy is getting very serious, which is scary. My father-in-law can’t process Casien, the milk protein. It really hampers his eating options. 

My question and suggestion to Bethenny: Question: Is airline food really that good? suggestion: bring your own food or buy something to bring on the plane. 

This is is the same woman who cared about all the people in devastated areas ( but when it comes to her personal comfort - just like hotel not giving her deposit back). I have lost deposits on hotels and vacations because of health issues and they didn’t pay me back.

• Love 7
On 12/29/2018 at 9:59 AM, Diane Mars said:

Yes, of course ! She's such a wonderful mother who takes her daughter in exotic locations, in order to let her grow learning other cultures and countries ^_^

(EDIT : and I will post it, because I'm thinking about that since a few days.... So yes ! Even at surviving on the verge of death, she's better than anyone ! SHE quite died, but survived.... And I DON'T mean that what happened to her wasn't real at all, only that she HAD to talk about it, etc.... )

I'd  totally be talking about it. Almost dieing seems huge to me.

• Love 5
1 minute ago, Stats Queen said:

So, just saw this. A whole plane full of people had to be turned around because they served fish on the plane.

https://people.com/home/bethenny-frankels-pilot-made-the-right-call-to-turn-plane-around-after-allergy-scare-expert/

And someone previously posted this - sorry for the duplication.

I know why they remove peanuts from some flights and why cats aren’t allowed on board where someone is allergic to cat dander. These are air-borne allergies. Did Bethenny’s fish allergy all of the sudden become an airborne allergy? 

If I had been on that plane and missed my connection or an important event because of her I would have been livid.

My body can’t process gluten, but it’s not an airborne allergy. It’s frustrating when I can’t get peanuts as a snack on the plane because someone’s allergic because everything else contains gluten. However, it’s up to me to bring my own alternatives. I do the same thing if I go to a charity luncheon. 

Everyone else’s worlds’ do not revolve around me and my gluten issues. I am an adult who has options. Unlike Bethenny my options don’t include being able to fly first class all the time or ability to rent a private jet.

I do realize that her allergy is getting very serious, which is scary. My father-in-law can’t process Casien, the milk protein. It really hampers his eating options. 

My question and suggestion to : Question: Is airline food really that good? suggestion: bring your own food or buy something to bring on the plane. 

This is is the same woman who cared about all the people in devastated areas ( but when it comes to her personal comfort - just like hotel not giving her deposit back). I have lost deposits on hotels and vacations because of health issues and they didn’t pay me back.

I read the article. It wasn't because she couldn't eat the food that they let her off. Apparently she called several times to ensure there wasn't fish on the flight. They assured her there was not. The allergy has become worse, through exposure, it's something that can happen, and now she can't be in a small space with recycled air while fish is cooking. Being cut off from medical intervention sounds risky in that case. It sucks that everyone was inconvienced, and I would have been annoyed, but I think keeping someone from possible death is important.

• Love 12
10 minutes ago, ShawnaLanne said:

I read the article. It wasn't because she couldn't eat the food that they let her off. Apparently she called several times to ensure there wasn't fish on the flight. They assured her there was not. The allergy has become worse, through exposure, it's something that can happen, and now she can't be in a small space with recycled air while fish is cooking. Being cut off from medical intervention sounds risky in that case. It sucks that everyone was inconvienced, and I would have been annoyed, but I think keeping someone from possible death is important.

I do stand corrected to much of what I said and It appears I paid lip service to the severity of her allergy. If her allergy has gotten that bad, it is seriously scary and I do believe her when she checked with them many times about serving fish on the plane. Airlines are not always very responsive, but pilots are. She didn’t call out the airline by name which was respectful on her part.

For me, Bethenny likes to bring attention to herself a lot, whether it’s her charitability or her allergy and it can be hard to separate out the signal from the noise. And we don’t know how much of her concern is due to her recent scare or due to the severity of her allergy.

• Love 8

With my tree nut allergy, I can indeed have issues with airborne particles. I was surprised to read that fish allergens can be airborne as well

I tread REALLY carefully when I say this... but... sometimes if I’m afraid I’m exposed to my allergens, I can have a panic attack, which feels like the beginning of anaphylaxis. 

But I wasn’t on that plane. And if they were, say, heating up rolls with walnuts, I’d probably have the same problem. I’d be really upset that they served fish when they said they wouldn’t. (And what airline serves hot meals these days!) Heck, I get annoyed that the “allergen free festival” lets people taste, touch, and carry around gluten-free products (which often have nuts) into the supposedly “nut free” areas. It’s not necessarily an issue for me all the time, but for some people it’s REALLY severe.

It’s tough. I do feel for Bethenny though. 

Edited by ivygirl
  • Love 8
23 minutes ago, Stats Queen said:

I do stand corrected to much of what I said and It appears I paid lip service to the severity of her allergy. If her allergy has gotten that bad, it is seriously scary and I do believe her when she checked with them many times about serving fish on the plane. Airlines are not always very responsive, but pilots are. She didn’t call out the airline by name which was respectful on her part.

For me, Bethenny likes to bring attention to herself a lot, whether it’s her charitability or her allergy and it can be hard to separate out the signal from the noise. And we don’t know how much of her concern is due to her recent scare or due to the severity of her allergy.

I can't disagree with that.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, Stats Queen said:

Just to clear this up, the plane did not turn around. Bethenny's tweet, "then they were turning around which I protested bc it would delay people" is misleading. They did not actually turn around.

• Love 9

One has to dig - the People article is so vague it does indeed sound like the plane turned around. However, the more accurate story actually paints Bethenny as much more of a victim.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/reality-star-bethenny-frankel-shares-223421814.html

Consider - she expressly called the airline several times to advise of the allergy - once should be enough.

They're serving bass (which having dined in first class a time or two, I find hilarious in that there's usually two entrees to pick from, one meaty, one vaguely vegetarian, fish is just a terrible airline choice on so many levels) and refuse to not serve the bass. 

Then as Bethenny complains, the pilot gets involved and tells the passengers he's turning the plane around because of Bethenny's whining. The passengers then insist they'd rather *not have the fish served* versus being punished for Bethenny's allergy by turning the plane around. 

Like Bethenny or not, consider her an attention seeking media whore or not, she has an allergy that has led to her being hospitalized. She did due diligence in advising the airline of the issue.

It's not THAT HARD to not serve fish.

The pilot should not have turned this into a "we're turning around because one snowflake is having an issue" - Like Bethenny or not, consider if it wasn't Bethenny - if it was your kid with a peanut allergy and you're in the air and the pilot is letting everyone know their travel plans are now fucked because your child has an allergy. Hell, imagine if you were the one who has to face possible death versus public rage and shaming over something that you can't help the airline could have easily presented.

This also isn't fair to the other passengers. They shouldn't have to be delayed because the airline didn't care about the notification they received. The passengers shouldn't have to vote on whether or not the flight turns around or they forgo the first class dining experience in order to save a life. 

• Love 17

It's absolutely terrible that she was assured by the airline and still this happened.

I've mentioned I have nut allergies and my daughter does as well. My least favorite place in the world is an airplane because of her exact story. You're in an enclosed space, far off from landing in most cases and with no real medical help available. It's terrifying. I will freely admit that I've had 2 panic attacks on planes because of it and, as someone above said, those can also feel like the beginnings of anaphylaxis. 

I also saw this story was in the Times today. This poor kid and his parents. Airborne reactions are no joke and they should be taken very seriously, especially on an airplane of all places.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/05/health/son-killed-fish-cooking-smell.html

42 minutes ago, Rap541 said:

This also isn't fair to the other passengers. They shouldn't have to be delayed because the airline didn't care about the notification they received. The passengers shouldn't have to vote on whether or not the flight turns around or they forgo the first class dining experience in order to save a life. 

Exactly.

We're not talking about someone deliberately trying to inconvenience other people. We're talking about actual life and death caused by something completely out of your control. 

Edited by Otherkate
  • Love 12
25 minutes ago, Rap541 said:

One has to dig - the People article is so vague it does indeed sound like the plane turned around. However, the more accurate story actually paints Bethenny as much more of a victim.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/reality-star-bethenny-frankel-shares-223421814.html

Consider - she expressly called the airline several times to advise of the allergy - once should be enough.

They're serving bass (which having dined in first class a time or two, I find hilarious in that there's usually two entrees to pick from, one meaty, one vaguely vegetarian, fish is just a terrible airline choice on so many levels) and refuse to not serve the bass. 

Then as Bethenny complains, the pilot gets involved and tells the passengers he's turning the plane around because of Bethenny's whining. The passengers then insist they'd rather *not have the fish served* versus being punished for Bethenny's allergy by turning the plane around. 

Like Bethenny or not, consider her an attention seeking media whore or not, she has an allergy that has led to her being hospitalized. She did due diligence in advising the airline of the issue.

It's not THAT HARD to not serve fish.

The pilot should not have turned this into a "we're turning around because one snowflake is having an issue" - Like Bethenny or not, consider if it wasn't Bethenny - if it was your kid with a peanut allergy and you're in the air and the pilot is letting everyone know their travel plans are now fucked because your child has an allergy. Hell, imagine if you were the one who has to face possible death versus public rage and shaming over something that you can't help the airline could have easily presented.

Excellent summary of the key issues, Rap. Well done.

I know Beth gets a lot of grief for publicly naming businesses that have pissed her off and it's been noted that she chose not to do so this time. But this is one time I wish she had. Because the airline should be ashamed of dropping the ball in the first place with her telephone inquiry. People should know which airline is that appallingly unreliable so they can exercise extra caution when dealing with them. And the way the crew responded to the situation while in flight is beyond shitty. Insisting on serving fish and the pilot shaming Bethenny that way is just ridiculous. As Rap said, it should not fall on the other passengers to take responsibility for handling things.  The airline deserves to be outed in my opinion. 

This isn't a hotel refusing to make a refund a customer arguably didn't deserve ... this is a business who is responsible for the physical safety of their customers but completely disregarded that obligation -  and in a petty, spiteful way, I might add.  They deserve to be held responsible for their ignorance and insensitivity, and assure the public they are making changes so what happened to Bethenny (and everyone else on that plane, as well) won't ever happen again.

• Love 11
On 12/20/2018 at 8:08 AM, Rap541 said:

I think this needs to be read again and again.  I've also heard servers' stories of "ramping up" meals because they didn't believe allergy stories of "picky customers."

• Love 2

Yeah, I take just about everything Beth says with a grain of salt. She is the great exaggerator.

Sure.  She may have a fin fish allergy but did she really almost die?  Hate to say it but maybe yes, maybe no.  As for the plane incident.  I can't help but think it wasn't quite a bad as she makes it out to be.  Like Weaver stated.  How does she survive going to a restaurant. 

• Love 10

She says she was treated at Newton Wellesley Hospital. It's a real place, not made up.  I don't expect a *huge* amount of research from People, US, etc etc etc, but I do suspect she was hospitalized recently. If only because Bethenny Frankel is neither so beloved by the media or so all powerful that she can brazenly lie about a medical issue.  She's not that pretty and she's not that special. Especially since she's been on her high horse about her allergy needs.

As to how she goes to a restaurant? Probably very carefully if her allergy has ramped up. I'm very curious if they start addressing this on the show. 

Edited by Rap541
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, connieinnc said:

There is also a difference in being on a plane, which is an enclosed space with no fresh air versus being in a restaurant where there is air circulation. 

Many Manhattan restaurants are really small due to the exhorbitant rents.  Tables are generally very close to each other.  

• Love 6