Type keyword(s) to search

Bethenny Frankel: Skinny Girl

• Start Topic

Film - I'm gonna be honest. I just don't agree that unnamed other companies are harmed here. You may not like it but "Company X donated when 99% of other companies didn't" is not punitive because it's absolutely understood that if a company isn't mentioned by name, they didn't donate. Getting named is the point. 

I can't stop you from feeling indignant on behalf of faceless corporations but there's no harm to be proven here. No one knows who was approached by Bethenny and said no, so there's no punishment being dealt out. 

• Love 13
30 minutes ago, ZoloftBlob said:

I can't stop you from feeling indignant on behalf of faceless corporations

I'm not feeling indignant on behalf of faceless corporations; I'm disagreeing with you that what Frankel did was  -- as you said -- "standard practice" in fundraising.  It's not. 

Edited by film noire
  • Love 3

She's praising the companies that did donate so that people know who supported the cause. She is noting that some companies, that are not named and therefore not being publically shamed, did not and encouraging followers to support the companies that did. That's a standard practice. I understand you don't like that she said 99% of the companies she approached didn't donate, but that's not actually causing those companies any harm as they were not named. If Bethenny has burnt some personal bridges with contacts at those companies - that really is between her and those contacts  but as far as her words harming some company goes? I'd have to know who didn't donate in order to change my spending habits and those companies weren't named. 

• Love 12
40 minutes ago, ZoloftBlob said:

She's praising the companies that did donate so that people know who supported the cause. She is noting that some companies, that are not named and therefore not being publically shamed, did not and encouraging followers to support the companies that did. That's a standard practice. I understand you don't like that she said 99% of the companies she approached didn't donate, but that's not actually causing those companies any harm as they were not named. If Bethenny has burnt some personal bridges with contacts at those companies - that really is between her and those contacts  but as far as her words harming some company goes? I'd have to know who didn't donate in order to change my spending habits and those companies weren't named. 

While it is standard practice for some charities to give a shout to their donors, it is not standard practice to say "whatever %" of people/companies that aren't giving. Saying that the majority of companies/people you asked are not donating to you/your charity specifically makes others ask why, what is it that you are doing wrong. It is a stupid move IMO and why most of those donating are Bethenny fans and their friends. The fans are doing all the work, all the networking within their family/friends. Good for Bethenny that she has such a strong fan base because they are the ones making her look good here.

• Love 2

Saying that the majority of companies/people you asked are not donating to you/your charity specifically makes others ask why, what is it that you are doing wrong. It is a stupid move IMO and why most of those donating are Bethenny fans and their friends.

But to my point - those companies that choose to not donate are not being harmed by Bethenny, which was the original assertion. And it is a standard practice to encourage people to give their business to vendors who do donate.  Unnamed vendors are assumed to not be donaters. 

That there is always room for improvement in handling charitable events is fair and I am sure Bethenny and her friends and people working in Puerto Rico will do an after action review and assess what could have been done better. She's doing good work but there's always things to tweek.

Edited by ZoloftBlob
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, ZoloftBlob said:

That's a standard practice.

It's not standard practice to say "Company X donated to PBS, but 99 percent of other companies turned us down. We ask our viewers to please direct their consumer dollars to Company X".  

that's not actually causing those companies any harm as they were not named.

But you don't need to name the company that didn't give, to move customers away from them -- it's like tv viewers: I just need to get you to watch MY program in that time slot, and all the other programs will have lower ratings.

If I can get you to shop at Costco because they donated instead of your usual place, Sam's, then Sam's has lost a customer (even if they've given millions to hurricane relief).  If I can get you to shop at Costco because they donated instead of your usual place, Target, they've lost a customer (even though Target has given millions to hurricane relief), etc etc.  And it wasn't necessary she do that to raise money, imo. 

You think it was fine/can cause no harm, and I disagree -- mileage varies, etc.

45 minutes ago, WireWrap said:

Saying that the majority of companies/people you asked are not donating to you/your charity specifically makes others ask why, what is it that you are doing wrong.

Yes -- she didn't think that side through.

Also, based on that 99 percent comment (eta: with the people who support her) she can move customers from their (unnamed) usual store to her named store, even though both companies might be giving to hurricane relief.

Edited by film noire
  • Love 2

It's not standard practice to say "Company X donated to PBS, but 99 percent of other companies turned us down. We ask our viewers to please direct their consumer dollars to Company X".  

That is a standard practice. She's being more blunt about the process but the basic reality is that companies donate for free advertising. I mean sure, some companies donate for genuine philanthropy but they also expect to have their name shined in lights. "Costco gave unlike others, they're the good guys" - this happens all the time and some companies even make commercials based on their own philanthropy - Tide for example, has a commercial about its laundry truck that it hauls out to help people wash their clothes.

But you don't need to name the company that didn't give, to move customers away from them -- it's like tv viewers: I just need to get you to watch MY program, and all the other programs will have lower ratings.

Again, that's just how it works. To use your PBS example (I love PBS) there's a restaurant (The Persian Room, if that matters) that is publically thanked at the start of Nature in my area that I actually went to because I thought it was great they were supporting the community and since they were praised, even tho the restaurant next to them was NOT cited as not donating, I know they didn't, because they didn't get the thanks, and it didn't get my business. That added boost of consumer good will and advertising is what the donation buys. Some companies are willing to pay for that good will and that's why they get mentioned and that's fair. Companies that don't? Don't get the free advertising or good will. No company was directly cited with a "they didn't give, don't shop there" - which would be unfair and harm causing - but you seem to arguing that Bethenny has to say "These companies gave and you should not consider that at all" in order to be fair to the companies that said no... and that's not how it works. 

*The Persian Room in Scottsdale is the bomb!

• Love 9
39 minutes ago, ZoloftBlob said:

To use your PBS example (I love PBS) there's a restaurant (The Persian Room, if that matters) that is publically thanked at the start of Nature in my area that I actually went to because I thought it was great they were supporting the community and since they were praised, even tho the restaurant next to them was NOT cited as not donating, I know they didn't, because they didn't get the thanks, and it didn't get my business.

But that's not analogous to what Frankel did. 

PBS would have to proactively say on air "99 percent of the restaurants we contacted for donations didn't donate. Please switch your dining experience to The Persian Room."

That's more than free advertising, or rewarding the company that gave; it's lumping all who didn't give into a monolithic group you are urging your viewers to bypass, due to them not giving YOU money, even though they may have given to a dozen other equally worthy charities.  That's why PBS (or any charity ) doesn't even mention corporations/orgs that haven't given to them, never mind describe them negatively and ask people to switch allegiance to a particular product, brand or donor. 

eta: I'm not even sure that would be legal under FCC rules -- asking people to adopt the product of the company that gave you the donation sounds a bit hinky--?

Edited by film noire
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Medicine Crow said:

Just a heads up:  Bethenny is supposed to be on Ellen today!!

I saw a brief clip; she looked pretty good for somebody who must be exhausted (pretty dress, longer hair, don't like the streaks framing her face) and Ellen & General Mills gave her big bucks +  she's up to forty planes, now filling the cargo ship.

Edited by film noire

As was noted originally, this isn't her natural thing. It's not her wheelhouse. This is all fairly new to her. She is making her way. She is still Bethenny. She is still going to tell it like it is when the mood suits her. I am sure that anyone she asked to donate is well aware of her method of communicating. She said right from the start that she was going to give big shout-outs to the folks that got on board.  So it would hardly take a rocket scientist to figure out who didn't get on board if someone wanted to spend the time to research all of her business partners. I am sure they are about as worried about her and her message as she is about the folks that don't like the way she is going about this. None of them have two shits to give. They are doing their thing in the way that they want to do their thing and moving on. 

Edited by gundysgirl
  • Love 10

eta: I'm not even sure that would be legal under FCC rules -- asking people to adopt the product of the company that gave you the donation sounds a bit hinky--?

Again, it's free advertising. And telling you that company X supports the charity so if you also support the charity, you may want to consider supporting Company X as they share your values is extremely common and not illegal. I mean, I have actually heard the phrase "isn't it great that these companies support Channel 8 and Nova? I know our viewers are proud to support our local business donors!"  - please don't rat out PBS to the FCC....

That's more than free advertising, or rewarding the company that gave; it's lumping all who didn't give into a monolithic group you are urging your viewers to bypass, due to them not giving YOU money, even though they may have given to a dozen other equally worthy charities.  That's why PBS (or any charity ) doesn't even mention corporations/orgs that haven't given to them, never mind describe them negatively and ask people to switch allegiance to a particular product, brand or donor. 

Bethenny didn't mention any specific names of companies that didn't give so again, no company can claim any specific harm. That does indeed reward the company that gave, but there's absolutely no harm to any company that can be proven beyond them not receiving free advertising - that they may very well be receiving from their own separate charity donations that companies that favor Betheny's charity do not receive. Personally I think she could have phrased it more delicately, but her comment didn't cause any company any harm because she didn't cite any specific company for not giving. 

• Love 9
8 minutes ago, film noire said:

I saw a brief clip -- she looked pretty good for somebody who must be exhausted --  pretty dress, longer hair, don't like the streaks framing her face -- Ellen & General Mills gave her big bucks, and she's up to forty planes, now filling the cargo ship.

She did look good!

5 minutes ago, gundysgirl said:

As was noted originally, this isn't her natural thing. It's not her wheelhouse. This is all fairly new to her. She is making her way. She is still Bethenny. She is still going to tell it like it is when the mood suits her. I am sure that anyone she asked to donate is well aware of her method of communicating. She said right from the start that she was going to give big shout-outs to the folks that got on board if someone wanted to spend the time and research all of her business partners. So it would hardly take a rocket scientist to figure out who didn't get on board. I am sure they are about as worried about her and her message as she is about the folks that don't like the way she is going about this. None of them have two shits to give. They are doing their thing in the way that they want to do their thing and moving on. 

Yes, she is new at this and you learn as you go, let's hope she learns to edit what she says and concentrate on those supporting her and stop with the % of non supporters as it isn't necessary other than to play on her fans/supporters sympathies. YMMV

• Love 3

Personally, I'm glad she said who donated (and mentioned that 99% of the people/companies she asked didn't). I've been a long proponent of ethical investing and fair trade practices, so it's relevant to me.  

I also feel pretty confident that if the 99% did actually donate or help in some way, they'll find a way to let people know (if it's important to them that the public knows). In fact, I just saw a commercial on tv the other day about how Walmart is double matching donations. They are able to get their message out through their regular advertising channels, and I don't believe Bethenny Frankel's relatively small number of Twitter followers are going to make or break any large corporation. 

Bethenny continues to blow me away with her efforts -- she'a amazing.

• Love 16

"isn't it great that these companies support Channel 8 and Nova? I know our viewers are proud to support our local business donors!"  -

That's not the same as saying "PBS viewers, switch your support to this business that donated to us." Pretty sure that would be illegal. (Maybe @Jextella knows? They're in the non profit world.)

Bethenny didn't mention any specific names of companies that didn't give so again, no company can claim any specific harm.

But you don't need to name each company to cause customer loss -- if I can get you to shop at Costco because they donated to me (instead of your usual place - Sam's or Target ot wherever) then that business has lost a customer. (And unfairly, if they've also given millions to hurricane relief.) 

To get back to my original point: praising Costco = fantastic on her part, they deserve it. 

Dissing the friends and business contacts (privately or publicly) that didn't donate to B Strong= not necessary, and comes off sour to me.

And we seem to be going in circles,  so I'll leave it at that.

Edited by film noire
  • Love 2

But you don't need to name each company to cause customer loss.

You can't prove that you lost that customer if your company's name was never mentioned and the customer doesn't specifically say they left your company over your lack of donation to charity x. Bethenny didn't name any specific company, therefore specific companies can not claim they lost business because Bethenny said "99% of the businesses I approached didn't donate" - she didn't name specific companies so there's no way to know or track whether specific companies lost customers or what companies Bethenny approached. Since there is no way for a consumer to know who turned Bethenny down, there's no way any company was harmed by the comment. 

That's not the same as saying "PBS viewers, switch your support to this business that donated to us."

I like to think PBS would say "Please switch your support" - and honestly as long as they don't say "You HAVE TO switch your support", I'm pretty sure they won't be getting FCC citings. 

Dissing the friends and business contacts that didn't donate to B Strong= not necessary, and comes off sour to me.

Since we have no idea who these people are, they weren't publically dissed. If Bethenny wants to be sour to friends, that's a) not a surprise and b) all on her. 

Edited by ZoloftBlob
  • Love 6
On 10/13/2017 at 5:17 PM, film noire said:

That's not the same as saying "PBS viewers, switch your support to this business that donated to us." Pretty sure that would be illegal. (Maybe @Jextella knows? They're in the non profit world.)

But you don't need to name each company to cause customer loss. If I can get you to shop at Costco because they donated to me (instead of your usual place - Sam's or Target ot wherever) then that business has lost a customer. (And unfairly, if they've also given millions to hurricane relief.) 

To get back to my original point: praising Costco = fantastic on her part, they deserve it. 

Dissing the friends and business contacts that didn't donate to B Strong= not necessary, and comes off sour to me.

And we seem to be going in circles,  so I'll leave it at that.

This might be above my paygrade :).  I don't think it would be an issue where non-profit IRS tax issues are concerned.   It'd have more to do with criminal law.  I'd guess that so long as there isn't coercion,  discrimination, or threat of health and welfare of others, any business, including PBS could tell its consumers to do many things, including telling them to shop at stores that donate to PBS.   It would just be a really bad tactic!

Edited by Jextella
  • Love 1

But PBS would never steer us wrong! :)

I mean, Downton Abbey, Poldark, Call the Midwife and that weird show on Nature where the robotic animals are attacked by live wild creatures! :D

Also, they said the Persian Room was good and mmmm they weren't wrong! 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Jextella said:

This might be above my paygrade :). 

Never! -- thanks for answering my PTV signal over Gotham City, Jextella ;)

But, I think this would be an issue that really doesn't extend to nonprofit vs. for-profit IRS tax issues.

I figured (b/c of govenrment funds being given to PBS) they'd be prohibited from endorsing one business at the expense of any other local business, just b/c a donation was made to them -- "Support X" is fine, but "Support X because the others refused to give us a donation" = bad.

Edited by film noire
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, film noire said:

I saw a brief clip; she looked pretty good for somebody who must be exhausted (pretty dress, longer hair, don't like the streaks framing her face) and Ellen & General Mills gave her big bucks +  she's up to forty planes, now filling the cargo ship.

She did look good! I think she's one of those people who does and looks better when she has more going on. She thrives on that kind of stress - not the emotional one, but the business one. 

2 hours ago, Jel said:

Personally, I'm glad she said who donated (and mentioned that 99% of the people/companies she asked didn't). I've been a long proponent of ethical investing and fair trade practices, so it's relevant to me.  

I also feel pretty confident that if the 99% did actually donate or help in some way, they'll find a way to let people know (if it's important to them that the public knows). In fact, I just saw a commercial on tv the other day about how Walmart is double matching donations. They are able to get their message out through their regular advertising channels, and I don't believe Bethenny Frankel's relatively small number of Twitter followers are going to make or break any large corporation. 

Bethenny continues to blow me away with her efforts -- she'a amazing.

Same. I like to know who is doing what and that's exactly why no company hesitates in tooting their own horn when they are aligned with certain charities. 

• Love 11

I was just watching MSNBC coverage of the Puerto Rican Crisis**.  Former New York Yankee, Jorge Posada, and his wife Laura were being interviewed, and Bethenny was named checked!  The interviewer brought up that Beth (who he referred to as an "influencer"), even though she has no personal investment of family or friends in PR, has become almost "addicted" to helping PR.  Jorge mentioned Beth's ten planes.

**The mayor is hoping to have power restored to half the island by November 15.  That's a month away, and two months after the hurricane struck.   Jorge's sister, who lives in San Juan, still does not have potable water and has started boiling her pool water.

• Love 7
On 10/13/2017 at 6:09 PM, Jel said:

Me too, normally (and some companies are beyond the pale no matter what) but I have a sliding scale when it comes to charitable donations -- I mean, yes, Costco has some awful history  (selling Thai shrimp gathered by slaves back in 2014 and claiming they had no idea, horribly caged hens in 2015) but when it comes to donations, the money does good even if Costco doesn't always.

44 minutes ago, RedheadZombie said:

Jorge mentioned Beth's ten planes.

I believe it's up to forty planes, Redhead Zombie.

eta: I was wondering today if maybe Bethenny can unload her cargo ship in Puerto Rico, then go out into international waters, load up international aid on her U.S. boat, and get around that heinous Jones Act that way.

Edited by film noire
  • Love 2
On 10/13/2017 at 7:11 PM, film noire said:

Never! -- thanks for answering my PTV signal over Gotham City, Jextella ;)

I figured (b/c of govenrment funds being given to PBS) they'd be prohibited from endorsing one business at the expense of any other local business, just b/c a donation was made to them -- "Support X" is fine, but "Support X because the others refused to give us a donation" = bad.

You may be right, Film Noire.  Definately over my head, but it seems like a reasonable assessment.  If the government gives money to PBS, I'd guess there are requirements about how PBS conducts itself.

• Love 1

I can't stand Bethenny on a good day, but good for her for doing this. I don't care that she has had a careless tweet or that she has sought to pat herself on the back in a tweet, it's BETHENNY for god sake. It's a miracle that she hasn't selfied herself with every single bottle donated. She is doing a wonderful wonderful charitable thing in record time. Her manic behavior is paying off in a big way. She has tweeted an elderly, bedridden woman who is suffering. People are dying and suffering, and she is able to coordinate and probably bully people and get things done with her boundless energy. 

She also may heal to some extent in her own little soul by this service that she is giving. It may give her some perspective in her own life. She may have found her life's true mission. By serving others who are truly in need, Bethenny may find true joy in her heart, something that all the fashionable shoes and purses won't give her.  It's a win/win.

• Love 18

I don't have a problem with her use of hyperbole.  We all use it to some extent. For example, how many of us have said, "It broke into a million pieces," without actually counting how many pieces there were?  Nobody has a reasonable expectation that it was literally one million pieces.  It means that it was a lot of stupid, little pieces that took forever to clean up. 

To relate it back to this, I doubt Bethenny counted and did the math on how many people/companies said yes versus how many people/companies she asked. It is just a way of stating that she asked a ton of people and a lot of them said no. She didn't publicly shame anybody. I don't think anybody reasonably expects her to have called every single company out there.  So you can't get mad at GE and refuse to buy anything GE just because Bethenny didn't state that they donated to her. 

• Love 12
31 minutes ago, diadochokinesis said:

I don't have a problem with her use of hyperbole.  We all use it to some extent. For example, how many of us have said, "It broke into a million pieces," without actually counting how many pieces there were?  Nobody has a reasonable expectation that it was literally one million pieces.  It means that it was a lot of stupid, little pieces that took forever to clean up. 

To relate it back to this, I doubt Bethenny counted and did the math on how many people/companies said yes versus how many people/companies she asked. It is just a way of stating that she asked a ton of people and a lot of them said no. She didn't publicly shame anybody. I don't think anybody reasonably expects her to have called every single company out there.  So you can't get mad at GE and refuse to buy anything GE just because Bethenny didn't state that they donated to her. 

Yes, we all use hyperbole once in a while but Bethenny uses it constantly, so much so that her stories morph into the unbelievable range. She needs to dial it back about 90% for her to be within more normal parameters IMO. I will go 1 step further, she uses hyperbole to make herself look sympathetic, like she is fighting against great odds all the dang time, as if she is the great warrior going up against odds so great that most mere mortals would fail. It is her shtick. LOL

• Love 3

She will never dial it back. I talk this way to some extent when I'm telling a story. Mostly for comedic effect. But, I have a friend who does this to the same degree as Bethenny. She always has and I have no doubt that she always will. It's one of the things I like about her - makes me laugh. 

• Love 12
10 hours ago, WireWrap said:

Yes, we all use hyperbole once in a while but Bethenny uses it constantly, so much so that her stories morph into the unbelievable range. She needs to dial it back about 90% for her to be within more normal parameters IMO. I will go 1 step further, she uses hyperbole to make herself look sympathetic, like she is fighting against great odds all the dang time, as if she is the great warrior going up against odds so great that most mere mortals would fail. It is her shtick. LOL

I guess I don't really see her that way, but can see how people would do so. I have never really thought about her trying to get sympathy, but of giving her opinion of how she sees things or experiences them. And most of the time people who take on the things she has taken on do fail, or certainly don't succeed to the level that she has. Certainly in business very few ever accomplish what she has accomplished. It is incredibly extraordinary and rare, no matter what sort of help she might have ever received. There is something very unique about her that allowed her to get to where she is today. And the charity stuff. I don't know if others would fail, but absolutely believe that others wouldn't try, push, beg, or plead the way that she has to get to the goal she had set in her mind. In the very beginning it seems as though she was facing some criticism for the way that she was going about her early work with the hurricanes. Many would have backed down, or taken a step back. But she just kept rolling, learned quick lessons along the way about transparency and taking the time to alleviate doubts, and made it into this incredible thing in a very short amount of time. She went from being thought of as someone who was delivering water bottles and gift cards to someone who is literally saving lives, which is no exaggeration. It seems as though she often is fighting against great odds and that most of the time she is successful almost through sheer force of will. It really is extraordinary. 

Edited by gundysgirl
  • Love 11
13 hours ago, jinjer said:

I can't stand Bethenny on a good day, but good for her for doing this. I don't care that she has had a careless tweet or that she has sought to pat herself on the back in a tweet, it's BETHENNY for god sake. It's a miracle that she hasn't selfied herself with every single bottle donated. She is doing a wonderful wonderful charitable thing in record time. Her manic behavior is paying off in a big way. She has tweeted an elderly, bedridden woman who is suffering. People are dying and suffering, and she is able to coordinate and probably bully people and get things done with her boundless energy. 

She also may heal to some extent in her own little soul by this service that she is giving. It may give her some perspective in her own life. She may have found her life's true mission. By serving others who are truly in need, Bethenny may find true joy in her heart, something that all the fashionable shoes and purses won't give her.  It's a win/win.

Amen! 

• Love 3

HOOO! HOO!! I made it till the end. I've been following Bethenny on SM. Good on her for not just writing a check and go about her day. I was thinking Girl looks worn the fuck out. Pretty certain she is but she keeps on going. I bet this has taken her time away from her daughter now and that has to suck even if she parks her in Florida with a nanny. I also think the 99% depends on your total count. I think HER 1 % is still a crapload of help. She's busting ass and I've yet to see any other Bravo Gal on the national news with the news ticker below. Except maybe the White House crashers. She may not be everyones cup of tea but I can't knock her for this.

• Love 12

Yes, we all use hyperbole once in a while but Bethenny uses it constantly, so much so that her stories morph into the unbelievable range. 

I agree - and there's also a difference between hyperbole and lies -  Frankel does both, and it's sometimes hard to tell when she's lying, engaging in hyperbole, or both (as in the whole Perils At Sea Saga. We know she lied about being lost at sea. Before he got slapped with a gag order, the towboat captain, Tim Russell,  revealed she was lying. She also lied about giving him a 2800 dollar tip. But she also engaged in hyperbole when spreading the lie,  telling Ellen she feared she'd never see her daughter again, and - once the camera crew disembarked first and got the cameras rolling - she kissed the dock, like the Pope himself; surely as hyperbolic a gesture as you can get when you're acting out a lie to begin with).

And after so many years on reality tv, I'm not sure she knows how to tell a simple truth anymore -- every fact has to be polished up to make her look good, or sympathetic, or a feisty wannabe scrapping her way up,  or a worthy winner who earned her way all on her own, or the victim of evil co-workers who are jealous of her fabulous self, or rejected by 99 percent of her friends when asked for donations -- it's never just the facts; always spin. (Repeating myself, but she really does remind me of Jerry Lewis; a toxic person who raised 2.5 billion dollars for an undeniably worthy cause,  who remained controversial to the end.) She might have a sea change (pun intended!) and through this experience,  become somebody very different - here's hoping she does -- but it's hard to become a genuinely honest person, when the world keeps rewarding your lies.

Edited by film noire
  • Love 4
23 hours ago, Otherkate said:

She will never dial it back. I talk this way to some extent when I'm telling a story. Mostly for comedic effect. But, I have a friend who does this to the same degree as Bethenny. She always has and I have no doubt that she always will. It's one of the things I like about her - makes me laugh. 

My husband and I love some hyperbole when telling a story.  We consider it just making the story more entertaining. LOL. 

Like you, I don't think B is going to change.  That is just how she communicates.  Like another poster said, she has accomplished a lot in her life and often with everyone else beating her down constantly (hyperbole alert!).  I think that is where a lot of it comes from.  When everyone is constantly tearing you down on social media, it has to be hard.  She probably felt like she was just running on a hamster wheel in the very beginning.  

Has she made the 99% comment multiple times or recently?  I'm just curious if this was something that she said in the very beginning when she was really struggling to get people involved or if it has been more recent. 

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, diadochokinesis said:

My husband and I love some hyperbole when telling a story.  We consider it just making the story more entertaining. LOL. 

Like you, I don't think B is going to change.  That is just how she communicates.  Like another poster said, she has accomplished a lot in her life and often with everyone else beating her down constantly (hyperbole alert!).  I think that is where a lot of it comes from.  When everyone is constantly tearing you down on social media, it has to be hard.  She probably felt like she was just running on a hamster wheel in the very beginning.  

Has she made the 99% comment multiple times or recently?  I'm just curious if this was something that she said in the very beginning when she was really struggling to get people involved or if it has been more recent. 

She made the comment recently, as recent as last week, on Ellen's show. 1 thing I did find refreshing in that interview was that according to Bethenny, she had 1 plane to go to PR and a few of her fans/supporters arranged the other 6-7 planes, she gave them credit for the bulk of supplies/planes. Not too many people, let alone HWs, would give others credit. I suspect that at this point, Bethenny is the face/front person/contact person but that a small army of her supporters are the real worker bees.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, WireWrap said:

I suspect that at this point, Bethenny is the face/front person/contact person but that a small army of her supporters are the real worker bees.

Basically this. She's the main contact person and she is the one that keeps looking and asking for planes (and now a cargo ship) since she has the contacts. People tell her that they have thousands of pounds of donated goods and as long as they can get them to Miami, she'll get them to PR. People contact her to tell them about their relatives in a certain town and she relays it to her team who are going to be on the ground.

I contacted her to get my grandparents off the island and she directed me to someone working with her. Unfortunately, the planes were leaving out of SJ and my grandparents are on the other side of the island and with the battered roads combined with their health issues, they couldn't make the trip. The situation is such that I'm praying that one of her planes go to the airport in their town because that is our only option right now since the flights have been heavily restricted and are all sold out.

Edited by Luciano
  • Love 8
15 hours ago, Luciano said:

I contacted her to get my grandparents off the island and she directed me to someone working with her. Unfortunately, the planes were leaving out of SJ and my grandparents are on the other side of the island and with the battered roads combined with their health issues, they couldn't make the trip. The situation is such that I'm praying that one of her planes go to the airport in their town because that is our only option right now since the flights have been heavily restricted and are all sold out.

Sorry it didn't work out, Luciano, this must be beyond frustrating/upsetting for you and your family. Celeb chef Ingrid Hoffman (she used to have a show on FN, Simpy Delicioso) is also running planes in and of Puerto Rico -- I read that she's offered seats on her planes (through Twitter) when they've been available, so maybe she might be able to help. Good luck.

Edited by film noire
  • Love 8

I just saw Bethenny on the Steve Harvey Show. She was discussing her trying to put together more effort relief for Puerto Rico. She's trying to put together 600 million pounds of supplies (containers) on a ship. She seemed very articulate and genuine in her efforts. She did say something that has the propensity to be controversial. Something about putting together the Emmys or the Oscars (I thought she inferred that she had something to do with it before...news to me). Steve Harvey gave her kudos and a check for 25k and she asked if it was ok to get (help pay for) a cargo ship with the donations. He relied that she could use the funds anyway she sees fit. 

• Love 4
13 hours ago, Luciano said:

Basically this. She's the main contact person and she is the one that keeps looking and asking for planes (and now a cargo ship) since she has the contacts. People tell her that they have thousands of pounds of donated goods and as long as they can get them to Miami, she'll get them to PR. People contact her to tell them about their relatives in a certain town and she relays it to her team who are going to be on the ground.

Luciano I am really sorry about your grandparents I hope they can get out of PR soon, thinking of you and your family. 

• Love 11
Just now, Luciano said:

Thank you! My cousin got them out today through a medical relief group and they are safe with her in Miami. The woman Bethenny is putting people in contact with told me of a backup flight just in case and I directed another person with an ill mother on the island to her. She has a great team working on the island and in Florida.

That's fantastic news, Luciano  -- so glad your grandparents are safe and sound with family! 

• Love 13
4 minutes ago, OnceSane said:

Wait…she Snapchatted her dog's death AND posted it?  WTF?

I didn't watch because it sounds horriying but people were posting about it. However, her last tweet said the goodbyes were premature so maybe Cookie isn't dead? It sounds like a creepy thing to post but B Snaps most of her life.

• Love 2
41 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

I didn't watch because it sounds horriying but people were posting about it. However, her last tweet said the goodbyes were premature so maybe Cookie isn't dead? It sounds like a creepy thing to post but B Snaps most of her life.

At last look, about 5 minutes ago, Cookie was still alive but Bethenny said that she/Bryn would need to make a "decision" about her soon. She also said that this isn't Cookies first seizure. 

48 minutes ago, OnceSane said:

Wait…she Snapchatted her dog's death AND posted it?  WTF?

According to Bethenny, she didn't want to drive 45 minutes to the vet with Bryn in the car because Bryn was upset. She should have called a sitter and taken Cookie as soon as they got there. She tweeted about it asking what she should do but then said that this wasn't Cookie's first seizure so she should already know what to do! Oh, and Cookie is still alive.

Edited by WireWrap