Type keyword(s) to search

Bethenny Frankel: Skinny Girl

• Start Topic

13 hours ago, WireWrap said:

I believe she gave to an animal rescue group as well as Bethenny. 

I believe Carole gave to a charity focused on "sato" dogs.   I'm so impressed with her, Tins, LuAnn and Dorinda for being generous without looking for reflected glory.   Bethenny's consistent, hard work has moved me beyond words.  It's next-level for ANY famous person to show such commitment, and I can't praise her enough.

Hope this is the right place for this, since we are having a conversation here, while Sonja's thread is as dead as her prospects: I read something that made me think of Sonja and her history with Trump, discussed very much on the show, and her own charitable history, and her attitude during the reunion when Andy entertained the q on voting.  So Sonja did her sloppy song and dance non-answer about her vote, remember?  And of course has bragged a ton about knowing Trump and "consulting" for him.  So.  I've read literally twice in the last week on other boards separate accounts from women who worked in event planning for the big charity events in NYC in the late 80s and 90s.  Both said separately that no one either in "society" or out of it, if invited to the events DJT got invited to, wanted to be at his table.  They wrote that for years on end- whether he was married to either of his first two wives, or while he was single, the task of placecards at dinner tables for charity was a nightmare, because literally no one would voluntarily sit with him -- regardless of political affiliations, or their respective industries.  It made me think of Sonja again, and of how thoroughly fake everything about her is.  She brags about things that people who known better instantly recognize as total lies.  So I knew that while no other HW has ever been front-row to old NYC society as Sonja was during her second marriage to a Morgan, that she would never do anything real for any charity, ever.  Anyway, it made for some interesting reading, and I'm guessing all of B's assistants have a note reading "don't bother!" next to Sonja's name when it comes to helping anyone else, at any time.

• Love 8

So, Debbie Downer here.  Yeah, kuddos to Beth for doing something.  But....when she says 99 percent of the people she asked turned her down I can't help going to the Beth the great exaggerator place.  I take everything she says with a grain of salt.

Yeah, I'll go back to the other side of the pool.  I could go on the soap box but I'll leave it at that....

• Love 7
21 hours ago, Midnight Cheese said:

So.  I've read literally twice in the last week on other boards separate accounts from women who worked in event planning for the big charity events in NYC in the late 80s and 90s.  Both said separately that no one either in "society" or out of it, if invited to the events DJT got invited to, wanted to be at his table.  They wrote that for years on end- whether he was married to either of his first two wives, or while he was single, the task of placecards at dinner tables for charity was a nightmare, because literally no one would voluntarily sit with him -- regardless of political affiliations, or their respective industries.

I think Bethenny would sit with him.  They are similar in their brashness and work ethic.  They'd be good for each other. LOL.  I take what the two event planners accounts said above, with a grain of salt.  Unless something changed by the time DT married Melania.  Because the guest list to their wedding read like a Who's Who of the corporate, political and media world.  For example, these two look happy to voluntarily attend.  Who woulda thunk?

Anybody else think Radzi and Melania look similar, in profile??  WOW!

donald-melania-trump-bill-hillary-clinto

• Love 4
7 hours ago, stewedsquash said:

I am so glad that you are on my side of the pool @breezy424 !  I mean, my mind immediately went to They (the 99 percent she says said nope to her) probably already donated somewhere else before she came along asking. It just makes her oh so more martyr-lite. Also, who the hell is she to "charity shame" people? Seriously, why does she get to call out people, starting with the first hurricane she got on board with, the whole @5000peopleshenamed? If you have a charitable heart, just fucking get stuff done and stop calling out people to make yourself look more selfless.

I agree with ya, Stew and Breezy - as soon as I read "99%", I immediately thought it was just more B3 - Bethenny's Brand of Baloney.  (OMG, does her lunchmeat line include Bologna????  Please baby Jesus) but I'm still on the love train for her doing what she's doing. 

I wished she would have not used B3 in regards to this disaster.  Saying 99% only muddies the water and people (myself, included) start popping the popcorn wondering what azzhole turned her down.  When realistically we know there are perfectly acceptable reasons for doing so.

Edited by ryebread
  • Love 5

Also, who the hell is she to "charity shame" people? Seriously, why does she get to call out people, starting with the first hurricane she got on board with, the whole @5000peopleshenamed?

Is she really shaming people if she's not naming names? I mean, she hasn't been putting up lists of "these are the people I asked who said no" at last check.

• Love 11

Is she really shaming people if she's not naming names? I mean, she hasn't been putting up lists of "these are the people I asked who said no" at last check.

That’s what I explained.  The tweet was  along the lines of ‘99 % of the people I contacted said no and these companys didn’t.  So note who they are and use them in the future.’  I do think that a lot of people started saying yes when they saw that it wasn’t just some RH flouncing about in a gown at a dinner.  That she really meant to get shit there and help people.  The tonnage of supplies and huge cargo planes that she is sending now were a pipe dream 7 days ago.  And yes it’s still Bethenny.  Last night she tweeted:

Every time I tell someone we have 6million lbs of goods in Miami to move, I giggle. I'm the Antonio Montana of Hurricane Relief. #BStrong

This has gotten so big that her website crashed.  They have set up a special website now for PR.  It’s crazy.

She has had a lot of success using her twitter. She gave everyone a time and place to help load at Teeterborough airport.  Then she’ll tweet that they have a plane leaving San Juan in 2 hours with 10 available seats And to let her know if you have people that need to come to the US for medical needs etc.  So folks have gotten their frail grannies and small children on respirators to the airport asap.  So in some ways she can do things that the government agency can’t just because of social media.

Edited by QuinnM
  • Love 13
2 hours ago, ZoloftBlob said:

I don't think so at all. I don't even understand the objection -- if you choose not to donate, and you feel you've got legitimate reasons to do so, stand behind your decision.  There's no shame in that, but you can't have it both ways -- not donating but still also having the luxury via any associated goodwill of people thinking you might have.  

Her exaggeration, if it even is one, doesn't even register on my dumb-things-that-Bethenny-does scale

• Love 10
2 hours ago, QuinnM said:

That’s what I explained.  The tweet was  along the lines of ‘99 % of the people I contacted said no and these companys didn’t.  So note who they are and use them in the future.’  

I agree. Bethenny is simply heaping praise on those who made donations to her group, which is the smart thing to do. The people and companies who ponied up deserve acknowledgement.  Emphasizing that 99% of people she asked didn't give anything is just a way to shine a spotlight on those who actually made contributions so they can receive the credit they deserve. I don't think it is taking a shot at any those who didn't donate, especially since we have no idea who they even are. 

I personally don't doubt her 99% figure, either.  I can imagine the sweeping request for help she sent out.  Getting one positive response in a hundred is probably not far off par for the charitable course, and pretty impressive considering hers is a new group without much of a track record.  

• Love 11
7 minutes ago, stewedsquash said:

Yes I see it and that is why Luann's little schtick as they were leaving at the "clip clip clip" pizza lunch was so hilarious to me. When the guy said to Carole, You look like Ivana and Luann said "You mean Melania. She's takes it as a compliment, she's a big Trump supporter!" while hustling Carole on out the door. It was truly a brilliant off the cuff remark from Luann and I loved it. 

Eh, to the notion that b is only doing good with her charity. It irritates me when someone with her personality has to bring a negative to highlight her positive. She should have just shown the spotlight on the ones who said yes and not mentioned 99%. But, it is b, and she always has to get a negative dig in, when none are necessary. That is one of the reasons I have no fucks to give for her "goodness". 

Your right, there was no reason to mention that some did not donate to her charity.

• Love 6
54 minutes ago, stewedsquash said:

Yes I see it and that is why Luann's little schtick as they were leaving at the "clip clip clip" pizza lunch was so hilarious to me. When the guy said to Carole, You look like Ivana and Luann said "You mean Melania. She's takes it as a compliment, she's a big Trump supporter!" while hustling Carole on out the door. It was truly a brilliant off the cuff remark from Luann and I loved it. 

Eh, to the notion that b is only doing good with her charity. It irritates me when someone with her personality has to bring a negative to highlight her positive. She should have just shown the spotlight on the ones who said yes and not mentioned 99%. But, it is b, and she always has to get a negative dig in, when none are necessary. That is one of the reasons I have no fucks to give for her "goodness". 

By reading her Twitter, she sounds exhausted. I cannot believe all that she is getting done. She might have been frustrated in an instant that she wasn't getting all the help she wanted from those she thought she could rely on. IMO it doesn't even come close to negating all of the good she is doing for so many. 

• Love 11

Aww I think she's entitled to vent her frustration and disappointment, But really, she could tweet the same sentiment 50 times and it wouldn't change my opinion.  In reading her Twitter, I'm seriously blown away by her efforts and her accomplishments.

• Love 16
11 hours ago, ryebread said:

I think Bethenny would sit with him.  They are similar in their brashness and work ethic.  They'd be good for each other. LOL.  I take what the two event planners accounts said above, with a grain of salt.  Unless something changed by the time DT married Melania.  Because the guest list to their wedding read like a Who's Who of the corporate, political and media world.  For example, these two look happy to voluntarily attend.  Who woulda thunk?

Anybody else think Radzi and Melania look similar, in profile??  WOW!

donald-melania-trump-bill-hillary-clinto

Well, the guns pointed at them are out of frame!  Kidding, obv, but besides not seeming germane to this whole convo, it's not like that's not been known forever- much hay was made over the Clintons showing up for then Dem-donor Donald's third taking of the til-death vow....(I'm assuming...maybe there's an escape hatch in the form of divorce for FLOTUS).   But hot damn,  Melania's profile IS amazingly like Carole's - that man at the restaurant in the Bronx really called it!  

Anyhoo, I didn't post the event planner stuff  for it to be smirked at as untrue, but I do take digressions about corruption from people who apparently don't have extremely close, loved family currently living in cruel, cruel circumstances on the island (circumstances very much not of their making, in any way) with a ----ton of Morton's.   Not necessary, not kind - and remarkably unlike Bethenny's acts, which have been kind.  And necessary, irrespective of motive(s).

Edited by Midnight Cheese
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Jel said:

Aww I think she's entitled to vent her frustration and disappointment, But really, she could tweet the same sentiment 50 times and it wouldn't change my opinion.  In reading her Twitter, I'm seriously blown away by her efforts and her accomplishments.

It doesn't matter she can't win for losing.

• Love 12

She doesn’t care.  So as of today the National Guard has reached out to her to offer her their people to help distribute on PR.  She has graduated from cargo planes to cargo ships.  She is partnering with United Way BVI because she has 10 millions lbs of relief supplies for BVI.  And they are going to help with that.

So I’m sure she really cares about someone not liking one of her tweets.  The last one I saw her answer was a woman that said she should use a more uplifting slogan rather than This is a crisis.  Her response was, gee as soon as I get 2 seconds to think about it I might.  Until then sit down Nancy.

• Love 14
4 hours ago, ryebread said:

Even though she didn't name names, I'll bet the people she asked - who said no - would've preferred if she would have kept that statistic to herself.  It really was unnecessary to mention. 

Well, we will never know who said nope. And, if these people had the money and resources to do something, then shame on them.

They know who they are. Bethenny probably burned some bridges, but I don't think she gives a damn at this point. So, good for her.

• Love 12
8 minutes ago, CatMomma said:

Well, we will never know who said nope. And, if these people had the money and resources to do something, then shame on them.

They know who they are. Bethenny probably burned some bridges, but I don't think she gives a damn at this point. So, good for her.

See, this is why I have a problem with her even mentioning that 99% didn't donate to her charity, people are acting like it means they gave nothing and we don't know that. It only means that they didn't give to Bethenny, it doesn't mean they didn't give to another charity. All she had to do is highlight people/companies that donated to her and say nothing else.

• Love 6
12 minutes ago, CatMomma said:

But we don't know WHY they said no. Jennifer Lopez, Ricky Martin and a whole lot of others are filling planes with supplies for PR, too. Perhaps Mr. XYZ was part of the 99% that said no to Bethenny because he'd already donated 500k to JLO.

Or say someone like Carole, whom imo, doesn't have big bank said no because she has her own charity that she's backing.

You're right. I don't think Bethenny gives a damn about anything but her mission right now, which is so awesome, but I still think the percentage mention was inflated and unnecessary.

Edited by ryebread
ETA BrillIant minds WW
  • Love 4

See, this is why I have a problem with her even mentioning that 99% didn't donate to her charity, people are acting like it means they gave nothing and we don't know that. It only means that they didn't give to Bethenny, it doesn't mean they didn't give to another charity.

It's all in how you choose to interpret her remark. I personally assume those people who turned her down were already donating to different charities. I haven't donated to Bethenny's charity because I donated to the Red Cross and I feel no guilt at all in not donating to Bstrong when I have already given to the best of my ability.  There's a lot of bad things happening these days and many people have pet charites that they think of first. (I personally have PBS as my preferred charity but I do toss the odd dollar to different ventures)

• Love 6
3 hours ago, bagger said:

It appears she cannot. 

And as others have said, she probably doesn't have two fucks to give because she has bigger stuff going on.  Good for her. 

Edited by gundysgirl
  • Love 11
15 minutes ago, ZoloftBlob said:

It's all in how you choose to interpret her remark. I personally assume those people who turned her down were already donating to different charities. I haven't donated to Bethenny's charity because I donated to the Red Cross and I feel no guilt at all in not donating to Bstrong when I have already given to the best of my ability.  There's a lot of bad things happening these days and many people have pet charites that they think of first. (I personally have PBS as my preferred charity but I do toss the odd dollar to different ventures)

It's not about the guilt of not donating. I think we've established  that if you we're capable and donated to something, there's no shame in that game.

Buy say you are a friend of Bethenny's. She comes to you and asks for a donation. You say, you'd really love to but you'd just written a check to the Red Cross. Three days later she writes on her Twitter that 99% of her contacts and friends said no. It's true she didn't name names but how would you feel? Chances are you wouldn't care and that's cool, but I'm sure there are some people that thought, "WTF, Frankel? Am I  part of the 99% you're referring to? Why you gotta be like that, gurl?"

• Love 3

I personally would assume she was just trying to get more people to donate, but I also allow that I am not a "keeping up with the Jones" sort and stopped caring what people thought about me when I first started costuming at scifi cons. Charity has to come from the heart - if someone who wasn't named publically and therefore not suffering any professional or public backlash is angry with Bethenny - that's how they feel but maybe they should question why they feel that way. If they've genuinely given to the best of their ability, there's absolutely no shame in not giving more than one has.

• Love 12
33 minutes ago, ryebread said:

It's not about the guilt of not donating. I think we've established  that if you we're capable and donated to something, there's no shame in that game.

Buy say you are a friend of Bethenny's. She comes to you and asks for a donation. You say, you'd really love to but you'd just written a check to the Red Cross. Three days later she writes on her Twitter that 99% of her contacts and friends said no. It's true she didn't name names but how would you feel? Chances are you wouldn't care and that's cool, but I'm sure there are some people that thought, "WTF, Frankel? Am I  part of the 99% you're referring to? Why you gotta be like that, gurl?"

Because she is naming names of those that donate, not mentioning someone's name (a friend) is kind of saying they are part of the 99%. Again, she didn't need to say anything about some not donating to her.

26 minutes ago, ZoloftBlob said:

I personally would assume she was just trying to get more people to donate, but I also allow that I am not a "keeping up with the Jones" sort and stopped caring what people thought about me when I first started costuming at scifi cons. Charity has to come from the heart - if someone who wasn't named publically and therefore not suffering any professional or public backlash is angry with Bethenny - that's how they feel but maybe they should question why they feel that way. If they've genuinely given to the best of their ability, there's absolutely no shame in not giving more than one has.

IMO, Bethenny just doesn't know when to shut up, she shoots herself in the foot all to often. And this, mentioning 99% not giving, is a perfect example of her crossing that line because I have no doubts that the "friends" that didn't donate had a good reason and she knew it. It's like she was trying to shame them into giving to "her" cause. MMV

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Midnight Cheese said:

extremely close, loved family currently living in cruel, cruel circumstances on the island 

{Midnight Cheese}  Sorry you're so worried -- puppy photo break?

Edited by film noire
  • Love 4

That’s what I explained.  The tweet was  along the lines of ‘99 % of the people I contacted said no and these companys didn’t.  So note who they are and use them in the future.’  I do think that a lot of people started saying yes when they saw that it wasn’t just some RH flouncing about in a gown at a dinner.  That she really meant to get shit there and help people.  The tonnage of supplies and huge cargo planes that she is sending now were a pipe dream 7 days ago.  And yes it’s still Bethenny.  Last night she tweeted:

Every time I tell someone we have 6million lbs of goods in Miami to move, I giggle. I'm the Antonio Montana of Hurricane Relief. #BStrong

This has gotten so big that her website crashed.  They have set up a special website now for PR.  It’s crazy.

She has had a lot of success using her twitter. She gave everyone a time and place to help load at Teeterborough airport.  Then she’ll tweet that they have a plane leaving San Juan in 2 hours with 10 available seats And to let her know if you have people that need to come to the US for medical needs etc.  So folks have gotten their frail grannies and small children on respirators to the airport asap.  So in some ways she can do things that the government agency can’t just because of social media.

giphy.gif

I don't think so at all. I don't even understand the objection -- if you choose not to donate, and you feel you've got legitimate reasons to do so, stand behind your decision.  There's no shame in that, but you can't have it both ways -- not donating but still also having the luxury via any associated goodwill of people thinking you might have.  

Her exaggeration, if it even is one, doesn't even register on my dumb-things-that-Bethenny-does scale

giphy.gif

I agree. Bethenny is simply heaping praise on those who made donations to her group, which is the smart thing to do. The people and companies who ponied up deserve acknowledgement.  Emphasizing that 99% of people she asked didn't give anything is just a way to shine a spotlight on those who actually made contributions so they can receive the credit they deserve. I don't think it is taking a shot at any those who didn't donate, especially since we have no idea who they even are. 

I personally don't doubt her 99% figure, either.  I can imagine the sweeping request for help she sent out.  Getting one positive response in a hundred is probably not far off par for the charitable course, and pretty impressive considering hers is a new group without much of a track record.  

85VeE.gif

By reading her Twitter, she sounds exhausted. I cannot believe all that she is getting done. She might have been frustrated in an instant that she wasn't getting all the help she wanted from those she thought she could rely on. IMO it doesn't even come close to negating all of the good she is doing for so many.

latest?cb=20130612042451

giphy.gif

Personally, I'd rather focus on all of the good work she is doing, all the money she has raised, all the supplies she has procured, and all the people she has helped, versus one comment she made.

Edited by BBHN
  • Love 14

Donde esta Cookie?

Cookie is so old that she gets to stay home.  She’s 18 years old now. She is really blind.  Really does well but just not going to be leaping down the city sidewalks with all the kids.

What I think is amazing here is this dog walker has six dogs all sitting pretty in the middle of a city with a million distractions.  I bet there are people DMing her to get this dang magician’s name.

• Love 10
16 hours ago, BBHN said:

Personally, I'd rather focus on all of the good work she is doing, all the money she has raised, all the supplies she has procured, and all the people she has helped, versus one comment she made.

I know, so bizzare.

I just saw Bethany on the news and she is on fire. My sister sent me a clip of Bethany  being Interviewed because she knows I watch the show. She doesn't watch but she was impressed!  Bethenny is reaching out to a much bigger audience and is getting a lot of positive attention. Is she actually doing more than public charities?

• Love 9
On ‎10‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 0:37 AM, breezy424 said:

Yeah, kuddos to Beth for doing something.  But....when she says 99 percent of the people she asked turned her down I can't help going to the Beth the great exaggerator place.  I take everything she says with a grain of salt.

tenor.gif   but also.....................................................................................................................................................tenor.gif

• Love 3

Yeah, and just because they don't give when Bethenny asks doesn't mean they don't give.  Believe it or not, people have lives and priorities of their own.  It's not all about Bethany or what Bethany wants.  Imagine that.

• Love 6
9 minutes ago, Jextella said:

Yeah, and just because they don't give when Bethenny asks doesn't mean they don't give.  Believe it or not, people have lives and priorities of their own.  It's not all about Bethany or what Bethany wants.  Imagine that.

We can't get into politics but Puerto Rico has had a different response than Texas and Florida. 350 million dollars raised for the Texas hurricane vs 9 million raised for the Puerto Rican hurricane.  Those figures plus the fact that polls show that half of Americans did not know that Puerto Rican's are American Citizens.  These facts would give credibility to someone saying 99% didn't want to give.

With bethenny s perserverance, and saturating the media, people became more aware and more donations coming in. The pictures alone were horrifying. Bethany has toured all around the islands, not just the main cities. Can you imagine Ramona touring the damage with no air conditioning, no working toilets, no sunken bathtubs?

• Love 15
On 10/7/2017 at 0:46 PM, Jel said:

Me either. I assumed it was hyperbole. Actions speak louder than words and her actions right now are impressive as hell. 

• Love 18
17 hours ago, Jextella said:

That is absolutely true, Jextella. But it's also true that Bethenny didn't say or imply that the people she asked who didn't donate to her charity don't (didn't) donate to any others.  One doesn't follow from the other.

• Love 8

Bethenny makes me bananas and I am not a fan. Obvs like I’m telling you folks something new HA!  

I thinK it is great she is helping PR. She still drives me bananas because of her desperate need to lie about the 99% , come on no way is that a fact, that’s not a real number it’s hyperbole to make her point. The hyperbole is because of her deep narcissism and black hole from her childhood for need and attention and getting enough . She’s got to kick that if she wants healthy adult relationships and she never ever will. I feel sorry for her daughter. This need will go on to manifest itself in future outcomes forever in relationships and it’s sad. She has enough fuck you money for 3-4 x a week therapy and holds the keys to her own happiness. 

• Love 6
On 10/7/2017 at 5:15 PM, ryebread said:

Even though she didn't name names, I'll bet the people she asked - who said no - would've preferred if she would have kept that statistic to herself. 

Yes -- and if you feel you have to tell the world you were rebuffed, it's pretty easy to keep it all positive instead ("99 percent had to turn me down, many because they've been giving since Harvey hit -- you're my lifeline to help Puerto Rico, help your fellow Americans like we helped Houston and Florida" etc). 

I also think there was no need for her to tell the media she was the first celebrity to arrive in Puerto Rico -- when everybody is applauding you for doing the right thing in record time, just take a graceful bow; no need to say "And I'm THE FIRST!!" (She reminds me of how I felt about Jerry Lewis; an ego-driven and often privately unpleasant narc who used their visibility and connections for a great cause. And as with Lewis, I'm more than happy to applaud the undeniably positive impact of what Frankel is doing, without whitewashing her into national treasure status.)

Edited by film noire
  • Love 12
9 minutes ago, film noire said:

I also think there was no need for her to tell the media she was the first celebrity to arrive in Puerto Rico; when everybody is applauding you for doing the right thing in record time, just take a graceful bow. No need to shout "And I'm THE FIRST!!" 

She's saying "I'm the first" because she shouldn't have been the first. She (and the people she has been helping and us in the mainland who are seeing our relatives going through this) are incredibly frustrated and pissed off that a lot of places in Puerto Rico are not getting donations that are being sent over and that it took over a week to see any government response (on all levels) and even that has been sporadic since. Saying "It's been a week/two weeks and we've been the first people this town has seen that have actually given them stuff" is not all, "I'm first, GO ME!," it's "What the hell has been taking so long for any help to arrive?" and she has said as much. It also shows how urgent the situation has gotten. If she could access these places and bring donations, why hadn't it already been done by then?

• Love 17
6 hours ago, Alonzo Mosely FBI said:

Bethenny makes me bananas and I am not a fan. Obvs like I’m telling you folks something new HA!  

I thinK it is great she is helping PR. She still drives me bananas because of her desperate need to lie about the 99% , come on no way is that a fact, that’s not a real number it’s hyperbole to make her point. The hyperbole is because of her deep narcissism and black hole from her childhood for need and attention and getting enough . She’s got to kick that if she wants healthy adult relationships and she never ever will. I feel sorry for her daughter. This need will go on to manifest itself in future outcomes forever in relationships and it’s sad. She has enough fuck you money for 3-4 x a week therapy and holds the keys to her own happiness. 

If the 99% turned her down number is real, then she did a pretty lousy job of choosing who to ask for money/supplies.  Not sure why, with her money and connections, she couldn't/didn't target companies with which she had connections.  They would help her out.  The number makes it look like she did an email blast to everyone for whom she had an email address - not the best way to get large donations.  It may also be people turned her down because they provided assistance in other ways (to the Red Cross, etc.).  That may be turning her down, but those companies/people are still helping.  So the stat may be deceptive in a couple of ways.

• Love 3
44 minutes ago, Luciano said:

She's saying "I'm the first" because she shouldn't have been the first. 

She also said that she was the "first celebrity", not just the first person, which makes a very different point, imo.

a lot of places in Puerto Rico are not getting donations that are being sent over and that it took over a week to see any government response (on all levels) and even that has been sporadic since.

I agree. When she talked about her group/herself being the first people seen in some of the 'forgotten' towns (even before their mayor) that was a crucial piece of information. It pointed out the shameful (lack of) response to PR, from the orgs (governmental and private) usually tasked with disaster relief. 

What I'm questioning is her need to compare herself with other celebrities working that war zone, and in a competititve way.

why hadn't it already been done by then?

We may all disagree (to varying degrees) about Frankel's personality, but I think many people in the forum have very clear (and off topic :) explanations about why that is. 

Good thoughts to your and yours in PR, Luciano. I hope your relatives are getting more of the help they deserve.

Edited by film noire
  • Love 4

I have been trying to follow along here, and am just having a lot of difficulty with what the issue is. She said 99% of the people she asked turned her down. So what? The 1% who said yes said yes in a big way. Why is there a debate about this nameless faceless (for all we know doesn't even exist) 99%? What is it about Bethenny that makes people nit pick her choice of words to the point that the important stuff (all the help and aid she was able to gather get to the people who need it, all the people she was able to get safely to mainland hospitals) gets completely left out and it instead turns into a debate about where she falls on some subjective scale of horrible people?

The arguments seem to be: It's great that Bethenny did all that stuff, but I don't like her so I am going to call her out for trying to shame people that she never named. Or, It's great that Bethenny was able to get so many sick people to the medical care they need, but she is awful because she said she was one of the first celebrities on the ground. Why must a caveat be added at all? Bethenny is doing something that most of us can't do whether because of resources or any other reasons. Why debate anything else?

Sorry. I stopped posting in the NY threads a long time ago because they were so overwhelmingly negative it affected my ability to simply enjoy the show. I guess this was just a bad time for me to jump in again. Don't mind me. I will see myself out.

• Love 23
10 hours ago, MatildaMoody said:

I have been trying to follow along here, and am just having a lot of difficulty with what the issue is. 

Two reasons that I can see (from what people have posted, and my own take on it): if you're one of the 99 percent of friends who turned her down (possibly b/c you already gave tons of money elsewhere) being painted that way probably felt really, really shitty. (And unnecessary for raising money.) Similarly so for corporations (since Frankel urged her followers to give their consumer dollars to the companies that gave her $$ and goods).

What is it about Bethenny that makes people nit pick her choice of words 

To you it's nitpicking -- fair enough -- but to others it's paying attention to the impact her words have.

the important stuff (all the help and aid she was able to gather get to the people who need it, all the people she was able to get safely to mainland hospitals) gets completely left out 

She's been praised by almost everyone who has commented negatively on her Instagram comment -- and those not praising her have pointed out why in pretty tame language -- so I don't think the work she's done has been left out.

Or, It's great that Bethenny was able to get so many sick people to the medical care they need, but she is awful because she said she was one of the first celebrities on the ground.

"The" first, not "one" of the first.

And I didn't say she was "awful" for that comment, but that I didn't like her turning this into a competitive thing. 

Why must a caveat be added at all? 

Why not add any caveat that makes sense to the poster?  Is she now above anything but praise? I'm not sure why criticism of Frankel is seen as if it shouldn't happen at all, even when the criticism is not being expressed in incendiary or thoughtless ways.

Edited by film noire
  • Love 5

Similarly so for corporations (since Frankel urged her followers to give their consumer dollars to the companies that gave her $$ and goods).

I'm honestly unclear what damage any corporation can claim from this. If they turned Bethenny down for donations, that's perfectly fine. She's not saying "Company Y refused to donate" at all. She is saying "Company X did donate to this charity, so I encourage you to support their business".

That's how corporate charity giving works - if you donate, your company gets praised. If you don't donate, your company does not get a mention. This is a standard practice. If a corporation is mentioned, they donated. If they aren't mentioned, they didn't. If someone says "some companies didn't donate but Company X did" - since the non donaters aren't named, they aren't harmed except that they are not getting the good press Company X is getting.

And if they didn't donate, they don't deserve the good press Company X is getting for donating, and they can't complain about that good press if they were given ample opportunity to donate and chose not to. 

• Love 14
On 10/11/2017 at 7:35 PM, ZoloftBlob said:

That's how corporate charity giving works - if you donate, your company gets praised. If you don't donate, your company does not get a mention. This is a standard practice. 

I've never seen any charitable org seek donations by saying, "Acme Anvils donated to St Jude's in this horrific time of need -- 99 percent of other companies turned us down, so please direct all your consumer dollars to Acme". 

It's punitive (even without mentioning specific names) and if I were one of Frankel's contacts who turned her down because our company was committed elsewhere, it would feel really shitty being treated like that. 

And none of it was necessary to raise money for Puerto Rico.

Neither was letting everybody know, Jenna Maroney-like, that you were the first celeb in PR (especially since the first celeb who landed in PR was native son J.J. Barea, who flew in supplies and meds on Marc Cuban's team jet, returning with cancer patients). The whole world is happily (and justifiably) applauding her  --  just take a bow and keep it moving. 

Edited by film noire
  • Love 5