Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Red Carpet

This show is another stinker in the PR Lifetime tradition. I tuned most of the show out, but returned for Christian Siriano's critiques. I agree it was cool seeing him deftly adapt to his younger audience.

Bradford's final 2 looks were comparable to or better than some designers' showings on regular PR.

I did get a kick out of little Veruca Salt/Lila Fowler, though. 

• Love 2
Bradford's final 2 looks were comparable to or better than some designers' showings on regular PR.

I came here just to say this , so thank you.  Bradford's black gown was sexy and well done.  I loved it.  Better than a lot of PR contestants and he had a better attitude too.  I loved his personality and I loved his mom's.  She was so real.  She wasn't kidding when she said she was a realist.  I adored her.

That being said, I felt weird watching this show.  The spoiled kid terrified and disturbed me.  I'd love it if it was fiction but it feels mean to hate on a kid which is what I was kind of doing.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 4

Okay, I had to watch it based on the first 2 comments and I have to say WOW.

Look, I know they're KIDS, but can none of them press a seam? And why would you have their parents help them in the first place, but in the second place, re the lad who won: if you KNOW that's what's happening, teach your mom some stuff. I think the girl who made the red dress with the beautiful pleats said she taught her dad ffs when she knew this would be the format!!

And I hate hating on a kid, but the one who's travelled to England, Paris, loves luxury and private jets? Eww. That is so unbecoming coming from a 12 year old. Nice job, Mom (and Dad, I'm guessing) ensuring that no man will probably ever be able to give her the stuff mom and dad started giving her as she came out of the womb.

The show wasn't HORRIBLE, but I'm pretty sure I won't be tuning in again, even to see Christian.

I had the same reaction to the 12-year-old who bragged so much.  Hey, I got to travel a lot as a child, being an airline brat, and lived overseas, too, but we knew better than to talk like that.  I'm sorry to say how happy I was that she didn't win -- it feels mean. 

• Love 1

As soon as I saw the program was being sponsored by Jo-Ann, I groaned. Their fabric is CRAP. When I was living in Texas, the fabric stores in my area were limited to Jo-Ann and another chain, and I ask you - how do you even FIND interfacing that's off-grain to sell? (Not kidding. After buying and returning multiple yards of fabric and interfacing only to discover they were ALL either off-grain or defective in other ways I finally gave up). Honestly, Project Runway must have boosted sales at Mood exponentially, so couldn't Mood have thrown in a few bolts of decent fabric for this show? Polyester and a bunch of quilting cottons and cheap embellishments does not a Red Carpet look make.

The only thing I can think of is that Jo-Ann's offers sewing classes for children?  Maybe they see themselves as kid-friendly and are trying to push that image.

My 11-year-old and I really wanted to like this, but we didn't.  We rooted for Bradford because he's a local boy, but that was about the only reason.

I don't really get the hate for Kelly Osbourne. Sure her hair is a lavender mess of epic proportions but she knows her stuff. She's been with fashion police on E! for years now and has a good eye for fashion IMO.

• Love 2

Aaargh! They should re-name this show "Project Runway: UP-TALK."

Because they all TALKED? In this annoying MANNER? Especially the JUDGES?

I took sewing in 7th grade and have been sewing ever since..

My version: "I took sewing in 7th grade and have HATED sewing ever since."

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Love 2
Do I need to go watch this? Is it like a trainwreck, where you can't stop watching but you're horrified?

No, it's just bad in a boring, disappointing way. It's not so bad that it's actually amusing.

The host was terrible.  What is her claim to fame?  She certainly can't be a fashion expert... can she?  Her comments had no basis, like she was just making noise, to try to contribute.

As was already mentioned, she is just the kid of someone famous. It cracks me up when celebrity offspring get their own line of clothes, shoes, purses, etc. Somehow having famous parents makes you qualified to be a designer? Hell, if I had a daddy who could bankroll a new company for me or hook me up with his friends' companies, I could do it too! Daddy, I want to open a candy store! Ralph Lauren's response: "Okay, sweetie, go ahead and do that!" One of my favorite examples is Kimberly Ovitz. Thanks to her dad, she got to intern at J. Crew in high school and at Harper's Bazaar with Herb Ritz and at Chanel with Karl Lagerfeld in college before she launched her own line with daddy's money.

The challenge looks, compared to the looks they brought from home, really had me wondering how much help they got at home.  This show seemed too cruel to be fun, especially the "assistant steal" BS.  Winning an advantage should be a type of advantage that does not penalize one specific contestant, on any show.. let alone a kids' show.

I really disliked that the advantage was taking someone else's assistant. If the prize was giving someone else an advantage, that doesn't mean it has to be a disadvantage to someone else. I would have preferred giving her an extra 30 minutes instead of taking away someone else's assistant for that amount of time.

I know that design vs. construction skills has been discussed a lot regarding the regular PR contestants but since these are kids, I am willing to cut them a bit more slack. I remember Tim Gunn said that in the first season of PR, they were going to have seamstresses for the designers and they ended up nixing that. I would have preferred giving the kiddie designers seamstress assistants to level the playing field.

Although I think all the contestants on Threads should be able to sew competently, having to design and create two outfits in one day is a lot even for the designers on regular PR. But it's a lot to ask of kids, especially when the sewing skills of their assistants (ahem, parents) are not all the same. For that reason, I think that this show should either (1) limit the challenge to one outfit (2) provide the kids with seamstresses to assist or (3) eliminate having assistants entirely. If they are going to have assistants, then I would prefer them to be professionals, not parents.

My guess is that the producers want the parents as assistants for drama, but I hated seeing Bradford continue to berate his mother for her lack of sewing skills. You knew she couldn't sew but you brought her anyway so STFU. I also hated the way Kenzie's mom acted, saying that she would do ANYTHING to help her daughter win and then crying because she thought she let her down. Good lord, woman! It's one thing to love your daughter. It's another thing to think it's your responsibility to make her every wish come true. It's up to your kid to make her dreams come true.

All of the street style outfits were terribly constructed. I understand those were very last minute, but gluing crap onto an existing dress was a pointless exercise. I didn't like any of the three street style designs (and "designs" is being generous). I didn't like the patchwork denim or the drawn on lips of Bradford's. Kenzie's was sloppy looking, like the fabric wasn't cut evenly or attached properly. Cambria's was too simple, but I'm glad she got to use her flowered fabric.

Of the three red carpet looks, Cambria's had the best construction. The box pleats were more impressive than anything that Kenzie or Bradford sewed. I agree that the white trim was not a good addition, but I understand why she did it to add some contrast.

Why does Vanessa Simmons, a grown woman, have the voice of a 10-year-old girl?
So she could get away with saying, "should have went"?

Ha, that was like nails on a chalkboard for me, but your comment made me laugh so her incorrect grammar was kind of worth it?

• Love 1

I don't really get the hate for Kelly Osbourne. Sure her hair is a lavender mess of epic proportions but she knows her stuff. She's been with fashion police on E! for years now and has a good eye for fashion IMO.

Well, I guess if being on Fashion Police qualifies one for being a fashion expert, that's all we need for credentials.  Since the now sainted Joan Rivers crowned her one of her court, that should be enough for me.  Except it really isn't.  And I don't think much of her own style.  But I'm not the child of anyone famous so what do I know?

Okay, was I the only one being driven bananas by Bradford's mother? Yes, he was rude to her while they were working (although he was under stress at the time), but for crying out loud, she couldn't take five minutes to learn how to sew a straight line before coming to help her kid compete for a $25000 prize? Or didn't he have any other options?

Okay, was I the only one being driven bananas by Bradford's mother? Yes, he was rude to her while they were working (although he was under stress at the time), but for crying out loud, she couldn't take five minutes to learn how to sew a straight line before coming to help her kid compete for a $25000 prize?

Worse, I got the impression she thought it was cute.