Type keyword(s) to search

Supernatural Spin-Off Ideas

• Start Topic

Hmm I'm trying to decide if Elkins would even go after John to get the Colt back. I can't really remember all of that. Was there a battle between them?

Which has led me to this:

A  time-traveling SPN spinoff would be cool, with the Colt as the touchstone to the time travel. So far the Colt's been in 1871 in Wyoming. 1973 in Kansas, 2004 to 2010 somewhere in the US , and in Detroit in 2014. Remember future!Dean said he'd been chasing it down everywhere? We could follow the Colt all over the place.  Then they could have any character from SPN they want for an episode. It could be an anthology thing with a new adventure every episode. Sort of like Warehouse 13(?) but the Colt is the only artifact they care about.

Supernatural: The Colt.

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 1

That would be a very cool little mini-series, catrox. I'm weirdly fascinated with the genesis of the Colt, so I think I would love that.

Hmm I'm trying to decide if Elkins would even go after John to get the Colt back. I can't really remember all of that. Was there a battle between them?

No, I think you're misunderstanding me. In In The Beginning, Dean travels to Colorado to steal the Colt from Elkins so he can kill Yellow Eyes. Elkins catches him. Dean tells him he needs the gun to save his family and Elkins lets him have the gun. Dean tells Elkins the gun will be in Kansas with the Campbell family. All the Campbells get killed except for Mary. Elkins has the gun in S1 and leaves John a note about it, in which John says "son of a bitch had it all along." So, Elkins would've had to get the gun back from Mary for him to have it in S1. I'm not saying he would go after John or know anything about John until after Mary's dead, but John spoke about Elkins like he was a mentor for John. I'm just saying it could be interesting to see Elkins be John's first teacher of the supernatural (other than Missouri opening his eyes).

I understood what you meant. And I know what happened in 4.3 when Dean got the Colt from Elkins. 

I was saying that I couldn't remember back in s1 what exactly went down between John and Elkins if anything. I just remembered John being pissed off at Elkins about the Colt. 

Elkins gets killed by vampires. John says he was a good man and taught him a hell of a lot about hunting, which had me thinking he was sort of a mentor for John. When Sam and Dean ask him why they didn't know about him, John says they had a falling out. Over what, it was never stated. But there was a theme of the show that John "just had that effect on folks" and had a falling out with just about everyone at one time or another.

A prequel about John would be really cool as a half-season/limited-run series imo. I'm interested in his whole story -- his wife being killed and leaving him with two small children, and him discovering the supernatural and then becoming this fantastic demon hunter, but at the same time becoming more and more difficult for anyone to be around...I'm interested in him trying to learn about this whole new world and make friends with people and raise his kids, while all this batshit crazy stuff is going on and he's sort of falling apart and having a hard time dealing with anybody. Idk, I just think the whole thing is fascinating. Would watch the hell out of that.

TBH I don't care about the colt in and of itself. It always felt like a McGuffin to me. But at the same time, a lot of the episodes that it plays a part in -- including the Wild West one -- are pretty fun. So Idk, maybe there's potential there and I'm just being dense.

• Love 1

Other than the Impala, the Colt is my favorite inanimate object from the show.  I just love how it's been attached to so many important things in the show. I really hope it makes an appearance again....of course with my luck it will the Colt that kills Sam or Dean...just for the irony.

Dean's .45 is a close 3rd. It's so pretty!

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 1

Yeah, I like that .45. It's gorgeous, and I don't even like guns.

The Impala is just so pretty, and I love the noise its engine makes. Or the noise the post-production department makes its engine make!

I guess the point is, I'm shallow and the colt just doesn't look that great. :P

Oh jeez Cas isn't looking for the colt or any more magic!bullets so that if it comes time, he'll be able to take out Demon!Dean, is he? LOL. I doubt it, but now I want Cas to get a pat-down every time he comes into the vicinity, just in case. Ok, taking the rest of the discussion to...whatever thread bullshit like this would be appropriate in, I don't even know. Speculation maybe?

Yeah, I like that .45. It's gorgeous, and I don't even like guns.

The Impala is just so pretty, and I love the noise its engine makes. Or the noise the post-production department makes its engine make!

I guess the point is, I'm shallow and the colt just doesn't look that great. :P

I don't like guns either and, for once, it's not about the pretty with me. I'm actually fascinated about how it was created and why it works. I'm weird, I like to know how things work.

Anyway, catrox, the idea of the Colt changing hands could be a kinda interesting twist on something like The Red Violin. I liked the movie, but remember thinking it maybe could've been better served as a minis-series. I'm liking this idea more and more. ;)

• Love 1

I don't like guns either and, for once, it's not about the pretty with me. I'm actually fascinated about how it was created and why it works. I'm weird, I like to know how things work.

IRL, yeah, it's interesting finding out how things work. But this show is SO BAD about answering those kinds of questions. EX:  literally *everything* having to do with the Dean-becomes-a-demon storyline. Maybe a spinoff miniseries/anthology wouldn't have the same issue, though.

Also, I personally am more interested by what something means than in how it works, and I think that's another reason the colt just doesn't seem that interesting to me. It doesn't ~mean~ anything, it's just a gun that can drop demons. There's no metaphor or anything. That's why it feels like a McGuffin to me. YMMV.

That the colt has no deeper meaning to it might actually be a good thing in terms of it setting off an anthology worth of stories, anyway. It could be the Zelig of demon-hunting weapons. That's just not a series that I personally would watch. I'm more of a "character study" kind of girl.

And also shallow. COULDN'T IT BE THE PRETTY GUN that they want to tell stories about? :P

From the episode thread

I know they talked to the press about it this fall, but between the increasing popularity of superhero shows on the network and SPN's ratings decline, I'd be surprised if they were still considering it. Unless there had been huge negative fan reaction, everything about Barry Allen was a backdoor pilot ready to go (similar to Ray Palmer this season). Cole has never entirely given me that vibe. I guess it could be a possibility, but I tend to see him as mostly just popping up occasionally to be a mirror for Dean until he is inevitably killed.

Pedowitz, kripke, Carver, J2 et al, were asked about it as recently as the run up to the 200th and they all said they are still working on a spinoff as long as was worthy of the mothership. I'll see if I can find the interviews and post them in the spinoff thread.

IMO, the introduction of Cole and his introduction to the world of monsters and hunting along with not being killed by the boys for torturing Sam and trying to kill Dean and he's an ally essentially who is permitted to call the boys Deano and Sammy-boy when no other characters have been allowed to do that with no consequence or condemnation gives him a status that not too many characters have gotten which pinged him as possible spinoff character for me. This episode was pretty much about Cole with some mirroring for Dean. And it's a macho kind of guy from a military background with a wife and child. Well for all practical purposes he's John Winchester lite. He was dragged into the world of monsters because of his Dad was killed. He has need Dean as his YED.

Edited by catrox14

he's an ally essentially who is permitted to call the boys Deano and Sammy-boy when no other characters have been allowed to do that with no consequence or condemnation gives him a status that not too many characters have gotten which pinged him as possible spinoff character for me.

The actor just ad-libbed that, though. I think that's why there was no dialogue telling him to cut it out or really any reactions from Sam or Dean at all about it -- it wasn't a planned thing or written into the script in the first place. No idea why nobody in the production told Travis Aaron Wade to knock it off, but since there *never* seems to be any oversight of anything having to do with the scripts or production, I'm not surprised. I agree that the show is trying to sell Cole to the audience so hard that it's probably giving itself a cramp, but I don't think the nicknames thing is necessarily meaningful on its own (except in the sense that the actor doesn't have great instincts and doesn't watch the show, lol).

The thing with TAW is, he's a relatively "known" actor, so I figured as soon as he turned up on screen that Cole would have a whole arc -- but I had no idea and still don't understand how the character is supposed to work as a protagonist. Cole is so off-putting while also not being especially impressive or threatening, so I don't think the potential for him as a lead character is there (though like I said, I do think they're trying to shoehorn him onto the cast/as a recurring character, for some reason). I also can't imagine the CW giving the OK for TWA as a spinoff lead, just because (sorry, no offense meant) he's not young or pretty enough to be a lead on that network.

CW shows usually pull from the same roster of actors all the time, anyway, so if a recurring or important or interesting character comes onto SPN that's played by an actor who's had success on another CW show already, that's when my spinoff-dar is going to start pinging.

Honestly, that's a reason I've been sort of keeping an eye on what other CW shows Amy Gumenick and/or Matthew Cohen show up on -- I think they both have the "look" of CW leads, they're both good actors, and they both seem interested in sticking with WB/the CW, so I can see either of them getting a relatively major/recurring role on SPN as a launching pad for a starring role in a new CW show, or (vice versa) getting a relatively major/recurring role on another CW show and then coming back onto SPN to star in a backdoor pilot for an SPN spinoff. (TBH, I can *completely* see Amy Gumenick being part of a Suicide Squad spinoff from Arrow specifically -- and that's actually a spinoff I'd like to see, as opposed to that boring "Atom" bullcrap. Not to digress). But that's just my instinct, it's not based on any press or anything.

• Love 1

Supernatural: The Mark of Cain.  Cain and Abel, loving brothers with a somewhat absent father, struggle against the forces of Lucifer at the dawn of humanity.  Maybe they help keep Leviathans in purgatory and argue with the Archangels, who are almost certainly dicks.  Here's the kicker: they travel through the cradle of civilization by riding actual impalas.  CW, you can send the royalties to my PayPal account.

• Love 4
(edited)
11 minutes ago, Trini said:

Is there a forum for the Wayward Sisters spin-off, or is it not officially a series yet?

It isn't a series yet! The CW probably won't decide, one way or the other, until sometime next year after the backdoor pilot has aired :)

Edited by Wayward Son
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

i think it would be cool for WB to make a fake SPN IG acc mainly about the brothers of course, but with the rest of the cast. the actors can't be available at all times of course so if it was just animated i think that would be okay.

51 minutes ago, denise42 said:

I just want to know, if they did a Supernatural Spin off of Young Sam and Dean adventures in the early years would anyone watch it.

It’s the best chance the CW has of continuing Supernatural, if only they had the vision to see it.

• Love 1

Not if Dabb was the showrunner. He did those horrible young Winchester comics. 

However, I do not see such a show being done because you`d need Jeffrey Dean Morgan to anchor it and that`s not happening. On top of that you would have to have insanely good child/teen actor casting,  in light of SPN itself having multiple young versions already. Those actors are too old now, too. 

If the brothers had offspring, you could have a (clichéd) future story about their kids doing the same thing. But that`s an iffy premise.  

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Aeryn13 said:

If the brothers had offspring, you could have a (clichéd) future story about their kids doing the same thing. But that`s an iffy premise.   

This is how they ended

Spoiler

Grimm,

and it was eye-roll inducing.

The only way I would want to see any spin off is if Andrew Dabb had nothing to do with it, and only then because it would be the ultimate fuck you to him if someone else had a successful idea.

Edited by gonzosgirrl
  • Love 4
5 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

This is how they ended

Reveal spoiler

Grimm,

and it was eye-roll inducing.

The only way I would want to see any spin off is if Andrew Dabb had nothing to do with it, and only then because it would be the ultimate fuck you to him if someone else had a successful idea.

I was okay with that ending for that particular show. Not the most inspired but happy enough for me. With the way SPN has been going, I don`t think they could pull off even that. And such a spin-off would live and die on casting. 

• Love 2
6 hours ago, denise42 said:

I just want to know, if they did a Supernatural Spin off of Young Sam and Dean adventures in the early years would anyone watch it.

Nope, not interested in a show that doesn't have Jensen Ackles playing Dean Winchester.  And I definitely have no interest in young Sam.  

I don't want any spinoffs from the show.  Spinoffs, esp anything we've seen with Supernatural, always manage to somehow lessen the Winchesters, esp Dean.  They mess with the what little canon there is left, they always try to play up their own characters abilities and experiences(again at the expense of the Winchesters, especially Dean).

So nope, when SPN ends, I want no spinoffs.  Supernatural is Dean and Sam Winchester, full stop.  When it's over, I don't want anything else "set int he world of Supernatural", either past, present or future.

Edited by tessathereaper
  • Love 9
48 minutes ago, sarthaz said:

Yeah, I'd watch it. It would suck, and I don't want it, but I'd watch it.

I agree with everything except I wouldn't watch it. Dean Winchester was the only appeal the show had for me and as was stated above any spin-off involving young Dean Winchester would only diminish him more as all of the flashback episodes inevitably did, IMO.

Plus, I don't have any confidence in the appropriate casting or writing of any spin-offs. These last few years have definitely highlighted the huge difference in opinion I and TPTB have in the direction and characterization of these characters as well as what is important to them. 

• Love 4

My biggest concern is that since next season is the last for this show, Dabb is going to go full-test in trying to get something launched into a spin-off. Which of course would mean that instead of good, interesting stories to properly wrap up our main characters, we'll get garbage ideas/characters thrown against a wall to see if anything sticks. Chuck help us all!

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
15 minutes ago, FlickChick said:

My biggest concern is that since next season is the last for this show, Dabb is going to go full-test in trying to get something launched into a spin-off. Which of course would mean that instead of good, interesting stories to properly wrap up our main characters, we'll get garbage ideas/characters thrown against a wall to see if anything sticks. Chuck help us all!

You are right. Instead of a series celebration, I think season 15 will be a desperate attempt to save their jobs. Dabb and Berrens will probably be pushing a Jack/wayward sisters hybrid show or go with Jack and the Lebanon kids. 

The only chance this show has of spinning off is young/teen Sam and Dean. Even then they would have to recapture lightning in a bottle with two boys with both talent and chemistry. Then they would need to get someone that could pull off John Winchester. Goes without saying, NO DABB! Young fresh writers with talent not a worn out collection of has beens and never weres. It’s pretty much impossible but it’s the only play the WB has if they want it to go on.

• Love 1
35 minutes ago, FlickChick said:

They did that way back when with Highlander the Series.  They spent at least half the shortened season testing new actresses as the potential lead for a spin off, all of whom were total duds.  They ended up going with a long term recurring character(Amanda) and that show got cancelled after one season anyway because no one was interested in a series with Amanda as lead.  

So they wasted the final season on rubbish.  They might have gotten a spin off that ran a few years if they went with the idea for a Methos and Joe spinoff which was the only idea any fans showed any interest in, but even that would have been very iffy as the idea of it being "The Highlander" was so central to the mythos of the show(starting with the film)  Still with Methos you'd have had over 5000 years of history to plumb for flashbacks as he was the world's oldest immortal and Joe, the regular human guy, came from the Watchers, who had secretly spent thousands of years following and recording Immortal history.  So they made an interesting fit, Joe loved history and Methos lived it, and Methos was complex enough to work as a lead immortal, having been both hero and villain in his times. 

Didn't mean to go off on a Highlander rant there sorry.  But SPN related when we first saw the character description and script sides for Castiel, I was totally pushing for Peter Wingfield to play him.  Wouldn't have been the Castiel we've become accustomed to obviously, but I still think he could have done a really good with the character and might have been interesting to see where it went.  I don't think PW acts anymore much, he went back to medical school and finished his medical degree.  

Not every long running series is meant for "spin offs", sometimes you have to accept you've caught lightning in a bottle and it's only going to happen once.  To me that's what SPN is, it worked as well as it did because of the chemistry - Dean and Sam as brothers, Jensen and Jared as actors.  The show probably wouldn't have made it past season 2, possibly not even season 1, without those very specific pieces in play, IMO.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, tessathereaper said:

They did that way back when with Highlander the Series.  They spent at least half the shortened season testing new actresses as the potential lead for a spin off, all of whom were total duds.  They ended up going with a long term recurring character(Amanda) and that show got cancelled after one season anyway because no one was interested in a series with Amanda as lead.  

So they wasted the final season on rubbish.  They might have gotten a spin off that ran a few years if they went with the idea for a Methos and Joe spinoff which was the only idea any fans showed any interest in, but even that would have been very iffy as the idea of it being "The Highlander" was so central to the mythos of the show(starting with the film)  Still with Methos you'd have had over 5000 years of history to plumb for flashbacks as he was the world's oldest immortal and Joe, the regular human guy, came from the Watchers, who had secretly spent thousands of years following and recording Immortal history.  So they made an interesting fit, Joe loved history and Methos lived it, and Methos was complex enough to work as a lead immortal, having been both hero and villain in his times. 

Didn't mean to go off on a Highlander rant there sorry.  But SPN related when we first saw the character description and script sides for Castiel, I was totally pushing for Peter Wingfield to play him.  Wouldn't have been the Castiel we've become accustomed to obviously, but I still think he could have done a really good with the character and might have been interesting to see where it went.  I don't think PW acts anymore much, he went back to medical school and finished his medical degree.  

Not every long running series is meant for "spin offs", sometimes you have to accept you've caught lightning in a bottle and it's only going to happen once.  To me that's what SPN is, it worked as well as it did because of the chemistry - Dean and Sam as brothers, Jensen and Jared as actors.  The show probably wouldn't have made it past season 2, possibly not even season 1, without those very specific pieces in play, IMO.

Highlander was my Supernatural before Dean came along. Did the convention and everything. Supernatural ending like Highlander is the true worst case scenario. They had to move heaven and earth to get Adrian Paul to agree to appear for the limited episodes the season had to justify their like 5 different spin off attempts. Never thought I would find something I liked more than that show but then Supernatural happened. I don’t feel I will ever get that lucky again. 

On a side note, I can’t image how insane it would be to go see your doctor and find Peter Wingfield.

48 minutes ago, Lastcall said:

Highlander was my Supernatural before Dean came along. Did the convention and everything. Supernatural ending like Highlander is the true worst case scenario. They had to move heaven and earth to get Adrian Paul to agree to appear for the limited episodes the season had to justify their like 5 different spin off attempts. Never thought I would find something I liked more than that show but then Supernatural happened. I don’t feel I will ever get that lucky again. 

On a side note, I can’t image how insane it would be to go see your doctor and find Peter Wingfield.

Replaying in Supernatural Ending thread

• Love 1
On 3/23/2019 at 8:54 AM, Aeryn13 said:

However, I do not see such a show being done because you`d need Jeffrey Dean Morgan to anchor it and that`s not happening. On top of that you would have to have insanely good child/teen actor casting,  in light of SPN itself having multiple young versions already. Those actors are too old now, too. 

I agree. I don't think it could be done well enough to avoid being compared to the original... especially because I think it would be hard to find young actors who could portray the personalities of Sam and Dean. And any writers who didn't stay with the personalities would run the risk of viewer thinking "Sam and Dean wouldn't do that / say that." Not to mention making sure the new series plot didn't contradict the original series.

As a loose example: I remember one of the things that bugged me most about the X-Men movie franchise was the part in the final movie where Rogue chose to take the "cure." I remember thinking "what? Rogue wouldn't do that," because... and okay I'm outing myself as dork here because I was too old for this really, but I watched the "X-Men" cartoon series in college, and Rogue in that series had a similar opportunity and didn't take it, and I wanted the Rogue in the movie to have the same maturity and depth... which is weird considering the other Rogue was a cartoon character, but hey...

As for a spin-off I'd like to see... It's never going to happen, and I'm likely the only one who would want it - not too mention it would be way too costly - but what I'd want would be something that would leave Sam and Dean alone... not touch their legacy or have the chance to mess it up. So what I'd want is - and this is off the wall, I know - a spin off with Ash and Heaven Bobby. I'd want the heaven problem to be fixed somehow and the angels heading back towards their controlled Memorex heaven, but Ash and Bobby being sneaky and surly and trying to buck the heaven system. Each episode would be Ash and Bobby visiting other heavens, saving people from heaven's jail, helping those souls who aren't happy with the illusion and them banding together to try to get heaven to change. On the way they would be reuniting souls who had been separated by heaven's rules... plenty of opportunities for original stories and maybe even unexpected results (as in maybe only one of the souls really wanted to be united or has mixed feelings for whatever reason, they can only reunite for a short time, etc.). There could be opportunities for original Supernatural characters to have guest spots as they either die and enter heaven or contact heaven or visit it for some reason or another. Naomi could be the "bad guy," but it could be more complex than that... in that trying to change heaven might not go so smoothly or some of the souls might cause problems rather than help. Demons could try to manipulate somehow. So Naomi might have a point in wanting to keep things orderly in that it's more practical.

That would be what I'd want as a spin off.

• Love 1

I don't want a spin-off at all. I want it to be self contained which makes it legendary. I certainly don't want anything like Legacies is to The Originals nor even a prequel.

I want it to stand on its own as a unique and rare institution. One epic story about The Winchester Brothers and those around them. I'm trying to think if a show that did that and only Gunsmoke comes to mind and it's considered a classic. Maybe Bonanza. Dallas would have been that if they hadn't done the reboot. However, that had JR, Sue Ellen, and Bobby and despite it having JR'S and Bobby's children(who the actor playing John Ross was fantastic and it was still about him and those three until Larry Hagman passed away. Then the producer took it a completely different direction and it was no longer about the Ewings and it sucked and went belly up. I don't want that to happen with Supernatural.

I want it to stand out like Buffy and Angel. Let Dabb write his comics which I can ignore like I did with Angel. Let it end with Dean and Sam and their family, both blood and found.

• Love 5
9 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

I don't want a spin-off at all. I want it to be self contained which makes it legendary. I certainly don't want anything like Legacies is to The Originals nor even a prequel.

I want it to stand on its own as a unique and rare institution. One epic story about The Winchester Brothers and those around them. I'm trying to think if a show that did that and only Gunsmoke comes to mind and it's considered a classic. Maybe Bonanza. Dallas would have been that if they hadn't done the reboot. However, that had JR, Sue Ellen, and Bobby and despite it having JR'S and Bobby's children(who the actor playing John Ross was fantastic and it was still about him and those three until Larry Hagman passed away. Then the producer took it a completely different direction and it was no longer about the Ewings and it sucked and went belly up. I don't want that to happen with Supernatural.

I want it to stand out like Buffy and Angel. Let Dabb write his comics which I can ignore like I did with Angel. Let it end with Dean and Sam and their family, both blood and found.

Basically.  No spin offs, no prequels, no sequels, etc, etc.  Anything else would just dilute and damage what it is, imo.

• Love 5
32 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

Agreed!

I think ER did this and although it swerved and swooped with each actor departure (and return) and new character, it still ended with John Carter as the main character, who was the original catalyst of the show. The West Wing is another, and each of those shows lives on in the pantheon of greats within their genre. Dabb & Company have alread done enough damage. Leave Supernatural alone!

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

I think the characters who would have had spin-off potential were the Banes twins. But that never seemed to be on anyone's radar.

At this point I don't see a spin-off happening. Dabb doesn't have the kind of clout to force one. If he couldn't get Wayward made -lukewarm reaction by Pedowitz -  he won't get anything. I fully believe they went with Legacies because of Plec. Concept-wise, both shows looked like they could fit on the network. 

Not sure if Dabb would or could go full on Highlander 6 in the final Season of SPN. He'd go out even worse than he is considered now.     

• Love 2

IA, I read that Pedowitz said the only reason Supernatural worked was due to Jensen and Jared. 

Dabb might have had a chance with Wayward if he had built it around the two adults struggling with helping the girls find their way instead of going to AU bad place but he went the wrong direction and well the ship has sailed. 

Kripke got lucky creating an improvisation of what he had planned but really only being able to see what reactions the producers thought might be new and interesting.

13 hours ago, Aeryn13 said:

think the characters who would have had spin-off potential were the Banes twins. But that never seemed to be on anyone's radar.

This could have been interesting because you had something newish and it wouldn't have needed Sam and Dean to do something with it.  The potential for a crossover would have been interesting.  The actors had potential...I really think the ship has sailed for a sequel and honestly most never make it.  NCIS has had the most success but it spun off Jag and NCIS wasn't really anything like Jag.  I guess the other would be Law and Order but I don't watch any of them so it can happen but you need someone that I think Dabb is seriously missing to be in charge.

• Love 1

I’ve always thought that the only character that could make a spin off happen is Cas. He’s very popular. I had a very strong feeling that Wayward wouldn’t take. However, I haven’t seen any talk ever anywhere about some sort of angel/Cas spin-off. Do we think that it’s only because he’s popular within and because of his relationship to the Winchester’s? Would Misha even ever consider continuing, or does he want to end too? I honestly have no idea. It’s always seemed to me that he had the best of both worlds- a steady paycheck, the con gig, and still a good amount of time off. 

• Love 1

Does anyone care about any SPN angels besides Cas? Their version of Heaven makes me want to go to Hell, pretty much every angel was either a winged dick,  or boring beyond belief.  I can't imagine any scenerio that would be series worthy unless they completely disregarded canon. Oh, wait....

Edited by gonzosgirrl
  • Love 1

I don't want any spin off at all,  but I think the only characters I'd be interested in is a Bobby and Rufus origin story. I think there's just enough canon on them to give the story history without bogging it down. It would give us a look a hunting from another perspective,  and there could even be appearances by younger John and the boys. 

• Love 3

It's funny. I was looking back through the tread and I had posted a couple of years ago about liking the idea of a spinoff with Samuel Colt and cowboy hunters and it would follow the Colts path back to the present but even the Colt is dead now.  So much for that idea!

• Love 3
On 3/26/2019 at 1:13 AM, 7kstar said:

NCIS has had the most success but it spun off Jag and NCIS wasn't really anything like Jag.  I guess the other would be Law and Order but I don't watch any of them so it can happen but you need someone that I think Dabb is seriously missing to be in charge.

I think it has a lot to do with what character(s) the spin-off chooses to focus on as to whether it is successful or not. The main successful examples I know off the top of my head are comedies. A couple of examples: "Laverne and Shirley" and "Mork and Mindy" were spun-off from "Happy Days" and "Family Matters" was spun off from "Perfect Strangers." In some cases, the spin-offs became arguably even more popular/successful than the original shows

With the "Law & Order" shows, I don't know if I see them as spin offs of each other as much as sister shows. In a way, if "Law and Order: Special Victims Unit" is a spin off of anything, I think that it could be argued that it's more a spin off of "Homicide: Life on the Streets," because Munch*** was a character in "Homicide" who was brought over to "L&O: SVU" starting from the first episode, and characters associated with Munch from "Homicide" (mainly his ex-wives) showed up on "L&O" at times also.

Also interestingly, I think now officially "L&O: SVU" has been on longer than the original "L&O" at this point. And for me, despite the procedural nature of the franchise, it was always characters that kept me coming back. (Ben Stone (Michael Moriarty), Lennie Briscoe (Jerry Orbach), and Jack McCoy (Sam Waterston) from the original; Munch (Richard Belzer) and Olivia Benson & Eliot Stabler together as partners for SVU, and undoubtedly Robert Goren (Vincent D'Onoffrio) for "Criminal Intent" - the show was not the same after he left as a main character. Even though I also like Jeff Goldblum, it just wasn't the same.) Similarly, even though I still watch SVU, it just isn't the same without Munch and Elliot. I mostly watch for Tutuola (Ice-T) now and mainly casually rather than appointment TV.)

*** I believe the character of John Munch has the record of appearing in the most different television series: 10, including "The X-Files" and "The Wire." (Though one of those 10 is not really a scripted series, so I would more say 9. Munch was also in "Sesame Street," but was a puppet voiced by someone else and so doesn't/didn't count in the mentioned 10/9.)

6 hours ago, gonzosgirrl said:

I don't want any spin off at all,  but I think the only characters I'd be interested in is a Bobby and Rufus origin story.

That could be interesting, but I think I would miss the original actors too much... Maybe I'll co-opt your Rufus for my Ash / Bobby idea. Rufus should also be in heaven, so I'd love it if he could join the heaven's renegades team. I can't believe I didn't think of that for my above post, because I love Rufus. And with "Safe House," I realized just how much I missed the Bobby / Rufus interaction.

So yeah, I think I'd want Rufus in my spin-off idea also, now that you mention him.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, 7kstar said:

To be honest I don't know where to put this?  I just found something called Supernatural Genderswap as TV mini-series written by the writers of SP.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7784694/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_2

Not really finding much but didn't know anything about it.  So weird...

SuperWiki has this about it:

Supernatural GenderSWAP is an audiodrama by Fool's Gold Theatre which is a Genderswap first three seasons of Supernatural , where Sam and Dean are Samantha and Deanna.

Samantha Winchester is a college student bound for law school, determined to escape her family's past - unlike her older sister Deana. Ever since they were little, their father has been consumed with an obsession to find the evil forces that murdered his beloved wife and recruited his two young daughters to help him. They have grown up as hunters of the supernatural. Sam escaped this way of life after high school and now has a happy life with her boyfriend and a promising future career. Deana, however, stayed behind with her father to join him in his hunting.

After Deana arrives asking for Sam's help when their father goes missing, Sam must join her sister to find him. Her one-weekend trip to search for the missing John Winchester becomes an ongoing quest after a horrible tragedy ruins any thought of a happy life for Sam.

The two sisters, bound by tragedy and blood to their mission, travel across the country encountering terrifying and dangerous forces most believe to be nothing but superstition and folklore.

• Useful 1