Type keyword(s) to search

Supernatural Spin-Off Ideas

• Start Topic

http://www.reddit.com/r/Supernatural/comments/2k6fl0/supernatural_spinoff_ideas/

http://www.tv.com/shows/supernatural/community/post/supernatural-spin-off-eric-kripke-141402790281/

Since they do have a open mind about what the fans think, I managed to gather a whole bunch of spin-off ideas while looking online and hopefully one of them strikes a light bulb. I want to share them with you guys.

Supernatural - Wizard of Oz
Supernatural - Silent Hill
Supernatural - Jurassic Park
Supernatural - Men of Letters
Supernatural - The Titans
Supernatural - The Campbell's
Supernatural - Young Mary Winchester
Supernatural - John Winchester's Journal
Supernatural - Samuel Colt & The Wild Wild West
Supernatural - Croatoan Epidemic
Supernatural - The Natural Order ( Starring Death )
Supernatural - Bobby's Garage ( Including Rufus )
Supernatural - The Next Generation ( Krissy Chambers )
Supernatural - Long Live The Queen ( Re-rise of Abaddon )
If you think it's worth it, tweet one of these ideas to any of the guys. Let them know what you think :)

https://twitter.com/JensenAckles
https://twitter.com/jarpad
https://twitter.com/mishacollins
https://twitter.com/Mark_Sheppard
https://twitter.com/guynormanbee

If it's any spin-off ideas you all might want to see, make your voices heard.

Edited by CroatoanVirus2k

Supernatural: Grumpy Young Men (starring Bobby and Rufus).

ETA  Imagine God or the angels resurrected Bobby and Rufus, except in their younger selves (to appease the CW).  They'd keep their knowledge and personality traits, except they'd be hot young things.  ;-)  

Edited by Demented Daisy
  • Love 3

I think they should make a few limited run series of like 13 episodes each and rotate the spinoff to have all the choices above. Sort of like what American horror story is doing.

Edited by catrox14

I'd like it if they got Colin Ford off of the awful "Under the Dome," found a decent actor for young Dean, and did a Winchesters: The Early Years. No need for John as he can be conveniently away all the time - or find a suitable substitute for some episodes. Go with Dean on his first hunts (if they can find a John replacement). Have them discovering the early lore. They could have the obligatory "romances" and ensuing angst as Dean and Sam have to leave town. Have Sam and Dean adventures like the fireworks scene in "Dark Side of the Moon" when John is out of town. Maybe they could get caught up in some small local "easy" hunts together - local ghost stories and such. An episode or two here and there where they visit "Uncle Bobby" or Caleb. They could work John's journal in there if John left it or a copy with the boys, and it could be a critical part of the series.

Maybe that could be one of the limited run series.

I'd like to see John and the Weechesters BUT they'd have to retcon John to be a good guy and like all prequels, they have to end with the beginning (i.e. a "Dad's on a hunting trip and he hasn't been home in a few days.")  So, I think it would be stilted.

It looked like they might be taking Kate out for a spinoff-spin. I'm not really in favor. I like her enough but it's not Supernatural. 

And that's the problem. If it's not Jared and Jensen playing Sam and Dean?  Man, that's tough.  If Jo and Ellen were still alive I'd watch the shit out of that.  If Rufus and Bobby had had a spin-off I would have watched that.  Maybe Jodi and Donna (the other sheriff) but that seems like a limited premise.  Supernatural gets so much from the "Route 66" angle. 

Now if they did Supernatural: Europe?  Maybe THAT would be fun.  It's really unexplored territory.  It would explain why Sam and Dean are not there. They'd have a new crop of myths (somehow 'urban legend' seems to current for Europe) to explore.  They could reference the near Apocalypse and give us backstory on the rest of the world.  If we got a couple of guys with awesome accents: like a funny Brit and say a sarcastic Italian who are thrown together on a case and then start working together, etc...  I think they could do a better job of copying the formula.  Of course how do you fake "Europe"?  Vancouver just does not pass for Paris or London.  But... that's my idea. Completely unrealistic but my idea.

I agree, they need to go with an entirely different set of characters that only intersected with Sam and Dean. I've always said that the early hunting years of Gordon could be interesting or possibly those couple of years that Jo and Ellen hunted together. I just think they can't do a prequel with younger Sam and Dean and make it work at this point--Jensen and Jared are too synonymous with the roles and they were 20-somethings when the show began anyway. It would be too weird, IMO.

I do think there are a lot of other good possibilities that could become it's own entity, though. They just need to remember some of their very colorful characters from days gone past.

I think something essential to SPN is that the Winchesters are a *family,* and it's a problem imo that none of the other characters who've been introduced, and who might be strong/interesting enough to carry a spin-off, have any family that could fill the same sort of (structural) role within a spin-off that the Winchesters' family relationships fill within SPN. I liked both Krissy and Alex, for example, but a character by herself or with only love interests/friends/"made" family is going to have trouble carrying a whole show for long. Relationships made by choice are fantastic irl but since they aren't unconditional in the way blood ties are, they just are unlikely to be dramatic/complex enough to carry years' worth of B-plots within a show imo. Personally, I would have watched the hell out of Mrs. Tran and Kevin hunting demons, especially if one/both of them also got some love interests along the way -- but obviously that would be pretty tough to do now.

I agree that a lot of the appeal for Supernatural is the family dynamics, but for a spinoff to stand on it's own I think it has to find it's own formula and/or structure--It can't be a carbon copy of Supernatural just with two different characters, IMO. I don't mind them stepping outside of the family-show mold, they just need to find their own angle on the hunting world and populate it with interesting characters.

Personally, I have no interest in the next generation of hunters such as Krissy, but could have watched a whole show about Rufus or Gordon or Jo and Ellen--even Adam and his delightful Golem. I don't think it has to be a blood tie, but the characters need to be complex enough to carry an entire show and I just didn't think Bloodlines had one to fit that criteria.

• Love 2
I don't mind them stepping outside of the family-show mold, they just need to find their own angle on the hunting world and populate it with interesting characters.

It's not just an SPN thing, though, storylines about family are a really strong vein to mine for shows in general. Some shows can do a similar show-long emotional/personal through-line with a romantic couple if they seem "fated," or with a sibling-like friendship maybe, but that's much harder to keep going imo and is more hit-or-miss even season-to-season or SL-to-SL. It's not for nothing that a huge part of The Vampire Diaries, which afaik is the CW's most recent big hit, was about family dynamics, too, and its spin-off is literally about a family. It's not that other ways of establishing an emotional anchor to a show are impossible but imo putting family dynamics at the core of a show gives it *so much* of a better shot at success, it's a really fast/easy way of establishing emotional stakes.

I don't think it has to be a blood tie, but the characters need to be complex enough to carry an entire show and I just didn't think Bloodlines had one to fit that criteria.

Yes, I agree with this. I just would go even further and say that even a character who's complex and interesting isn't going to be able to carry a show by herself, unless she's also got at least one relationship that is similarly complex and interesting. I agree that it doesn't have to be a blood tie, too, but I think that establishing a familial relationship as deep/interesting/complex is easy relative to doing the same for a friendship or a romantic relationship. Though some shows have successfully done that, too, I don't think it's *impossible* -- the Blair/Serena friendship carried Gossip Girl for at least the first season imo, for example. An issue with Bloodlines was that it seemed to lack emotional stakes altogether imo (among other issues -- couldn't even sit through that whole ep tbh).

I also just liked Mrs. Tran and Kevin, and liked their relationship. I was really hoping that they'd go off as a team and maybe come back to work with Dean and Sam from time to time on a given case. Was so sad when the show went in a completely different direction. But then, I'm also a complete sucker for inter-generational *and* family SLs and would love if John were to come back to SPN, too (and I also like John in general, but that probably goes in "unpopular opinions" rather than in this thread!).

ANYWAY my main point is that I think that a show will have to have emotional/personal stories to mine as well as A-plots/action stories, and the thing about SPN is that even though it has lots of random characters who could be interesting and who are set up to have lots of action stories to tell, none of them have obvious emotional/personal stories to tell because they're all kind of loner free-agents. I mean, thinking about a show set around Krissy or Kate or Alex just sort of on their own fighting monsters sounds dull to me, but I think a lot of that is because I don't want to *just* see the potential for action storylines, I want to see potential for personal storylines for the central characters, too. Otoh, if a couple demon-fighting brothers, or a demon-fighting man trying to take care of his two young kids, just randomly showed up as side characters, I'd see them as a possibility for a spin off! Which is why we have the show we have instead of the Krissy show, I guess, lol.

I think TPTB would be foolish to try and recreate the Sam/Dean dynamic in a spinoff with any other characters. Jared and Jensen are really the reason that relationship works. I think branching off the Winchester family would be a slap to the current legacy of the show. Just let Sam and Dean Winchester's legacy live until the end of the series.  And then find something new.

To me, the spinoff only has to have one or two characters that we already know and mostly love or at least love to hate. The relationships can build off those characters.  I don't think it has to be blood ties to make it work especially if it's going to be  another procedural/MotW dynamic. I'm not interested in any kind of spinoff that about the younger kids.  But I'd watch the hell out of Rufus/Bobby: Grumpy Hunters. Or even Rufus/Bobby as younger less grumpy hunters. Or Eliot Ness: Untouchable Hunter.  Or Samuel Colt.

I think TPTB would be foolish to try and recreate the Sam/Dean dynamic in a spinoff with any other characters.

It really is lightening in a bottle and you can't recreate it.

I was watching Sleepy Hollow and noticed that they created an intense bond between their two main characters in fairly short order.  I have no doubt they knew this was essential. They used a different gimmick (Sleepy Hollow spoilers:

they made the two leads prophecy-based 'witnesses' that had to see a 7 year event play out, it gives them both visions from time to time and a mutual need to protect each other in order to save the world...kinda deal.

) Add on top of this, the two leads are very good and have excellent chemistry. I think the show will be successful, although it's got a bit of outlandishness (in a National Treasure sort of vibe), primarily BECAUSE of the lead characters.

So... finding two leads AGAIN would be tough.  Going "Incredible Hulk:Werewolf Edition" with Kate might be an option but I don't think it'll play all that well with their core fan-base.  It's so hard to judge WHO the fans are these days with Neilsen becoming more irrelevant as Netflix, Hulu (CW has their own version), Amazon and iTunes take off. 

Oh man I LOVE Sleepy Hollow and ship the leads like nobody's business, personal shipping. not in show canon shipping. Much akin to Destiel in a way.  Spoilers for Sleepy Hollow s2 ;s

adly IMO this season they've dicked around with the plot and have been putting space between Abbie and Ichabod and the show is poorer for it. :(. I think they had an idea about Ichabod and Katrina  but when the chemistry between Mison and Beharie blew everyone off the screen they don't know what to do to rein it back in. 

It's not for nothing that a huge part of The Vampire Diaries, which afaik is the CW's most recent big hit,

Actually, that would be Arrow (or potentially The Flash, but it's too early to tell).  Arrow was initially about Oliver Queen's need to fulfill his father's mission *cough* -- but his intention was to do it alone.  Over time, various members have been added to Team Arrow, but none of his family members.  He eventually develops strong connections to these characters -- and the show tends to follow the Supernatural playbook in that regard, creating tension and conflicts within Team Arrow while dealing with the Baddies.

Watching the 3 shows, I see a lot of overlap (that I won't bother with here) that makes me wonder if the CW higher-ups have more influence over their shows than I thought.  I expect any spin-off would follow the ideas that have worked so well for Original Recipe Supernatural.  Which is why I thought that a prequel with Bobby and Rufus would work well.  Or, if they really wanted to restrict the show to one place instead of being on the road, they could have made a prequel about the Harvelles and The Roadhouse.

• Love 1

Perhaps it's only because I really liked "everybody hates Hitler", but I think I could get behind a spinoff with Adam, the Golem and their quest to eliminate the Nazi sorcerer group whose name I cannot remember. There could be some interesting internal conflict with Adam having ignored his heritage and grandfather's teachings and now having to learn about the mysticism and cultural history in order to survive being chased by the Nazis. And for external conflict, well, there's the Nazis. Throw in another sidekick, maybe a former member of the sorcerers group trying to make amends and gain redemption, do a back door pilot where they meet up with Sam and Dean again, and boom there is your spin off.

• Love 1

That spin-off option does come with the bonus of possible Hal Linden flashbacks, which couldn't hurt.

Both of those sound delightful to me as well. But, I'm still rather enamored by the idea of what I like to call The Grumpy Hunting Hour featuring Rufus and Bobby.

I remember thinking immediately after "Weekend at Bobby's" aired that I would happily watch that spun off into its own show. TPTB really missed the ball on that one.

• Love 2

After last night's awesome episode, I kind of want a spin-off where two Sam and Dean-esque siblings navigate the 'hell' known as high school. Don't tell me there isn't PLENTY of evil to battle there! It doesn't have to be as campy as Buffy, but I might have to insist on one of those musical numbers in every freaking episode ;) 

[snip]

Such a waste, too, because fairies *and* leprechauns *and* elves are pretty cool and could have some fun stories about them. Oh! One other thing that I did like -- how the leprechaun made it sound like there was this whole alternative faery realm that had nothing to do with the heaven/hell/purgatory stuff that everyone else was dealing with and that had its own rules and everything. That seems like it has so much potential. Wouldn't it be fun to have a faery Big Bad even? Just something totally different? Well anyway.

[snip]

I could get behind this as a spin off.

Donna and Jodi. I'd watch the shit out of that.  I know it is completely against everything the CW wants: two women, slightly older. Not models. Not a chance.  But I'm so much more invested in these two than I ever was in the guys from Bloodlines.

• Love 5

Yeah, that was the first Winchester-lite episode I've really enjoyed since "Weekend at Bobby's." Hiring actual actresses rather than Victoria's Secret models results in characters who can carry a story for a full hour, who knew?

Edited by Bruinsfan

After Hibbing 911, I'm not convinced they'll do a spin-off any more.  Should they decide to do S11, I think it might be closer to an ensemble cast, like Vampire Diaries.  Sam and Dean would be the main focus, but Cas, Crowley, maybe Jodi, maybe Cole, maybe Krissy and her Scooby gang -- they'd all have storylines independent of the Winchesters, but they'd call in or the stories would overlap at the edges, etc.

Best of both worlds, really.  It would still be Supernatural, but Jared and Jensen's workload would be drastically reduced.  Mind you, Crowley still needs to die, but that's just me.

From TPTB thread:

Random thought bubble to share: J2 got a lot of press in Aug-Oct as S10 geared up and they celebrated the 200th. But while their level of personal responsibility for show success has never been in doubt, it feels like there's a slight shifting in tone. These two have never had Exec Producer status but everything they do seems MORE than some other actors who have that status have done. Now, the comment on involvement in the spinoff concept. It's possible it's just respect, but what if it reflects some actual change in contract terms for their presumably impending contract renewal? Just thinking out loud.....

I still stand by my assessment on the 3rd.  I can foresee either S11 or Supernatural: Lair O' Letters -- everyone moves into the bunker.  Assignments are doled out to the characters who can best tackle them.  Blah blah blah.

Though it sounds an awful lot like TNT's new series The Librarians.

My vote for a spin-off if there has to be one.

John Winchester, the early years. Basically starting after Mary's death.

Or

Donna and Jodi. They have two different towns to deal with, the occasional case away from home.

IMO a John spinoff doesn't seem viable. His story post Mary death is complete except for seeing how his sons are now.

If it's being used to show that John was not a crap father who didn't leave his kids to fend for themselves or with Bobby or whomever that's a massive retcon of the entire premise involving Dean's role in Sam's life.

I don't understand why it can't be that John was just a lousy dad that messed up and made mistakes and probably did love his children anyway in spite of being a lousy dad. And we've seen that.

SPN was blessed with the child actors wi

for the Weechesters and I don't want to see them recast.

Logistically I don't see how they can even get JDM back and Matt Cohen is too young and JDM is too iconic in that part at that age to recast.

I doubt a donna/Jodi spinoff ever sees the light of day.

I think a young Bobby and Rufus hunting show would be great but I don't see the CW doing a period piece that is not Sci Fi future like the 100.

I don't understand why it can't be that John was just a lousy dad that messed up and made mistakes and probably did love his children anyway in spite of being a lousy dad. And we've seen that.

But that's just it. We've seen John the dad. We've seen John the hunter before his death. All mostly from Sam and Dean's perspective and some secondhand-accounts that got progressively worse over the years.

I would like to see John the man. I don't want a retcon, I would like a different angle, his POV. How he learned about it all, how he learnt to hunt, how he dealt with Mary's death, how he met other hunters, raising children on the road, what lead to the fall-out with Bobby, what was his relationship with pastor Jim, his relationship with Missouri. I think it's got great potential and it would keep with the spirit of the show as a show on the road. They could even keep the Impala.

I think Matt Cohen would be fine. Or good recasting would be fine too.

I'm not saying any of my ideas would be done by the CW. I think it's probably too ugly and complex overall. To me, it's an interesting story. It's not pretty but I'd rather have interesting than pretty. Not a retcon.

• Love 2

They could even keep the Impala.

Say no more, I'm in!

ETA:

My favorite spinoff ideas about about John, too, because I think he's an interesting character. You know how they introduced Oz or the Supernatural Books? Maybe there could be some other not-our-world-exactly-but-very-close that Young!John could show up from, so that the show could be set in the present day and without disrupting what we already know about SPN's past.

Personally I'd like to pair him up with a young!Mary, because I think having a young married couple be demon hunters would be interesting. And it's be nice to have Henry also flitting around through time so that they can run into him here and there, too!

I would like to see John the man. I don't want a retcon, I would like a different angle, his POV. How he learned about it all, how he learnt to hunt, how he dealt with Mary's death, how he met other hunters, raising children on the road, what lead to the fall-out with Bobby, what was his relationship with pastor Jim, his relationship with Missouri.

I'd love to see it, but I think it'd be better as a limited-run, like one season or a half season. Mostly because John all alone with just a bunch of side characters would be pretty hard to write.

Edited by rue721

I think a young Bobby and Rufus hunting show would be great but I don't see the CW doing a period piece that is not Sci Fi future like the 100.

Oh, I don't know.  Considering the success of Guardians of the Galaxy, I think they could probably get away with Rufus and Bobby set in the 80's.  ;-)

Plus, they have Reign, which is a period piece.

I'd love to see it, but I think it'd be better as a limited-run, like one season or a half season. Mostly because John all alone with just a bunch of side characters would be pretty hard to write.

If they had the right actor who can carry it, I don't see why not. Also, I don't ever see something like this running that long anyway. There could be people who helped, they can even keep Bobby or someone else who sometimes would watch Sam and Dean. Someone who kept child services at bay on occasion, someone who possibly made him stop running for a while. Wasn't Pastor Jim supposed to be one of the people who they stayed with once in a while? Or was that fanfic?

I'd rather not have Mary or Henry around, that would be retcon and I really wouldn't like a spinoff messing with the show's mythology. They're doing that enough on their own and I don't like it.

Anyway, it's not gonna happen but I think it would be an interesting story.

Considering the success of Guardians of the Galaxy

Ugh, I must be the only person on the planet who hated that movie.

I wouldn't mind Bobby and Rufus, the early years either. I'm just not sure it would be sufficiently different from what we have now. Two guys arguing,  hunting evil, and driving around in a car. Wow, now there is a short description of the show.

For me, JDM gave enough inner life to John and we got enough backstory to understand what compelled John to be the man we met in the pilot to the man we met later. I have no interest in Johns POV beyond what we got. I think it was filled in quite well.

I also don't understand why Dean and Sam's POV of John is now considered something to be doubted or unreliable. I have no trouble accepting or believing that John could be a crap dad who loved his sons and was an obsessed bastard and had another son and a woman after Mary. I HATED why they invented Adam.

I don't need to see him change Sam's diaper or heat his bottle or open a jar of baby food. Nor to teach the boys to hunt because the show told me he taught them to hunt despite the show deciding it needed to reassign that to Bobby. F that BTW. And I also don't need to see him leave those things to other people either or to see him leave it to Dean more than we have because that will just piss me off more.

As good as Matt Cohen is I don't think can pull off being 20 years older or having the grizzled world weary man we met in the pilot and later. And I think it would be a disservice to both Matt and JDM to recast.

I could live with maybe a two part episode that would be flashbacks to that period during the final season of SPN but for me unless it's JDM playing older John I have no interest.

"Plus, they have Reign, which is a period piece".

I totally forgot about Reign. Wouldn't Rufus ND Bobby be in the 70s? I want some bell bottoms and bad hair.

Edited by catrox14

If they had the right actor who can carry it, I don't see why not. Also, I don't ever see something like this running that long anyway. There could be people who helped, they can even keep Bobby or someone else who sometimes would watch Sam and Dean. Someone who kept child services at bay on occasion, someone who possibly made him stop running for a while. Wasn't Pastor Jim supposed to be one of the people who they stayed with once in a while? Or was that fanfic?

I mean that it would be literally difficult to write television scripts about a lone wolf hunter like that. It would be tough to work in (non-exposition-related) dialogue, and it would be tough to do more than one storyline during the episode. (And nowadays, shows usually like to do +/- 4, afaik -- SPN hasn't been, it's been doing *maybe* 2 lately, and imo it feels old fashioned and slow because of that. It would probably still be fine, except that  imo the episodes are poorly structured lately, too. But that's neither here nor there).

If it were a movie or really any medium other than television, it could work, but on TV, I think you need more narration/dialogue because you don't have people's undivided attention, and I think you need to be keeping various balls in the air w/r/t plotlines to make sure that there's some reason for everyone to come back the following week (you can't just have an A-plot every episode and that's it). You need at least 2-3 main characters, imo, but if the boys are supposed to be extremely young, they can't count, and the side-characters/friends can't count since John can't be around them on a constant basis basically by definition.

I don't think that the kids' babysitter, whether that be Bobby or whoever, would be a good second lead. Who would be interested in that character's SL compared to John's? Idk, maybe people would, but I think it would be very unbalanced. John is going on this huge journey and learning to fight monsters, and this other person is going grocery shopping? I also just don't think the kids themselves would be very interesting because they'd be so young, so I don't see the point of the show following them or their babysitter in the first place.

Possibly Missouri could be a second lead. It bugs me, though, that the female lead always gets stuck with the visions, and then the guy gets to go out and do all the actual fighting and interesting stuff. She just sees the interesting stuff second-hand so that he can get there and affect it. Idk, not my cup of tea. I'd rather have a fighting duo, personally. And I'd rather have Mary as the fighting partner, because I think that it would be interesting to see their marriage change over time, especially given the weird circumstances, or even just to see a married couple as fighting partners. The idea reminds me of the Sacred Band of Thebes, in a way! Though, God forbid they ever were to decide to break up but have to still hunt and raise kids together, what a nightmare. But like I said before, I always like when there's a woman fighter on shows, I prefer the fight scenes. Even on Arrow:  they had about a million fight scenes in the fall finale, but I have to say that, even though it was 10-20 seconds long, my favorite by far

I also don't understand why Dean and Sam's POV of John is now considered something to be doubted or unreliable. I have no trouble accepting or believing that John could be a crap dad who loved his sons and was an obsessed bastard and had another son and a woman after Mary. I HATED why they invented Adam.

I've assumed that Dean's and Sam's points of view about John would be skewed because they're his kids. Not that they're lying or *way* off or something, but their perspective is going to be different from how the rest of the world would see/judge John, because of course it would be, he's their dad, so they have a different relationship to him than the rest of the world does. Who has a clear-eyed view of their own parents?

IA that Adam was pointless, though. Why did they have to bring in this other kid just to kill him? It was such a cop out, imo. They couldn't figure out a way to resolve the angel-vessels storyline, so they came up with Adam as an escape hatch. I hate when characters are created to be plot devices like that.

Anyway, yeah, I was thinking of Matt Cohen as a younger John. He's the right age to play John around the period when Mary died.

As good as Matt Cohen is I don't think can pull off being 20 years older or having the grizzled world weary man we met in the pilot

No argument there. I'm not even quite sold on how he portrayed Michael. Not enough gravitas.

Still, the pilot is only about 5 years after we see them in The Song Remains the Same. Mary is already pregnant with Dean.

Well, we obviously have different interests here anyway.

Matter of interest: Who would you guys want to play young Bobby and young Rufus?

Maybe I misread but I thought your premise was John after Mary died up to current? Which means Cohen would have to age 20 years from 5 years after Mary died to when we meet Sam and Dean in their 20 years.

I also thought John was being retconned in s7 as not being as bad we thought because he at least left the boys with Bobby and in s8 Dean was defending John when Henry showed up. And in s9 John leaving Dean at the boys home instead of whatever fate might have befallen Dean, the scofflaw.

Edited by catrox14

Matter of interest: Who would you guys want to play young Bobby and young Rufus?

Actually, Nathaniel Buzolic from the Bloodlines pilot might be a pretty good young!Bobby. Personally, I don't love him, but he's got a ton of fans from his stint as Kol on Vampire Diaries/Originals.

Which means Cohen would have to age 20 years from 5 years after Mary died to when we meet Sam and Dean in their 20 years.

Well, he would have to be 5 years older than in The Song Remains the Same. which he is.

My premise wouldn't actually go as far as Sam and Dean being teens. That, in my view, would move it rather close to Sam's and Jensen's portrayal and I'd like this hypothetical spinoff be far away from that.

Actually, Nathaniel Buzolic from the Bloodlines pilot

Eh. Not my choice. Not that I have one. I've loved Steven Williams since he was X on the X-files, so I'm having a hard time picturing Rufus young.

I think what Supernatural should do is a series of little mini series over the next few years rather than a full 23 episode run spin-off. Maybe 5-6 episodes per mini-series. They could do something with Rufus and Bobby and show us how Bobby first came into contact with John and the boys. They could do one of John right after Mary's death; on the road with two small children and learning about this whole other world. One of Jo and Ellen hunting together. They could even do a Gordon origin story and John could be part of that one since he said he met the guy once. Ooh, something with Kevin hanging out in the bunker and working a case while Sam and Dean were away working their own case. Or Cass, Anna and Uriel before Anna fell and Cass rescued Dean from Hell. There's really a lot of rich story still to be told, but might not carry a full series. I wouldn't mind a couple of Supernaturalish mini series events per year.

• Love 3

I kind of like the mini-series idea.

I really don't like the idea of John Winchester: the early years, or whatever.  I feel I know John's story as well as I care to.  (I also feel I know John as much as I care to.) The show has already shown us how it started, how it ended, and told us much of what happened in between.  Unless the show is prepared to completely ignore all of that, there probably wouldn't be enough of the "OMG, what will happen/will John/Dean/Sam be okay" factor to sustain a series.

• Love 1

I just CAN'T with a prequel.  I'm okay with it as a book or a flashback episode but after Smallville and Merlin, I'm just scarred for life on prequels.  *sigh* Totally valid concept but I can't. 

ooops...moving rest of comment to Daddy Dearest.

Edited by SueB
  • Love 1

I don't need to see him change Sam's diaper or heat his bottle or open a jar of baby food. Nor to teach the boys to hunt because the show told me he taught them to hunt despite the show deciding it needed to reassign that to Bobby. F that BTW. And I also don't need to see him leave those things to other people either or to see him leave it to Dean more than we have because that will just piss me off more.

I always interpreted that as John taught Dean and Sam how to hunt the supernatural, and Bobby taught them how to hunt (and track) regular animals - which to me are different things, and I can entirely see John thinking that hunting regular animals would be something he wouldn't find productive or worth the time. I guess I'll need to watch that episode again and see if my interpretations were wrong - I like the episode, so not a hardship - but that's what my impression was, so I didn't consider it much of a retcon with that interpretation.

Tracking animals and some supernatural things might be similar, so there might be some potential retcon there, but I think with most of the "higher" monsters - such as vampires, werewolves, shapeshifters, demons, etc, their higher thinking would make it an entirely different process from regular animal tracking. Just that in that particular episode, the human brain function was sort of reduced to "mush" so they were actually acting more like a regular animal than the usual supernatural * being would, so the skills used in tracking animals actually applied and led to the comment concerning tracking.

But I agree with you in not needing a John spin off.

* And I guess technically they weren't even supernatural beings or even monsters - more like experimental accidents.

Edited by AwesomO4000

I would like to see them do a series based on Rob Thurman's Cal and Nikko Leandros books.  If you haven't read them, her books capture a lot of the same flavor of relationship between brothers, although in a more positive way (not so many lies, and a lot more supportive).  They're urban fantasy.  Cal is half-monster and I'd really just as soon Sam and Dean not kill him so it might be best if it didn't actually intersect with Supernatural.

I was watching I Believe the Children Are Our Future this morning and it occurred to me that a spin off with Chuck and Jesse could have been interesting.  Sort of a Kung Fu/Caine thing.  You know, Chuck and Jesse walking the earth, learning about humanity and whatnot.  Of course, Jesse would have aged himself several years in order to avoid any messy questions about why a young boy isn't in school, but anyway....

Edited by Demented Daisy
  • Love 1

So I was watching Dead Man's Blood earlier (well not so much watching, but it was playing while I was doing dishes). Anyway, got me to thinking about my Supernatural miniseries idea again. Another to add to the list...John and Elkins hunting together. It sounds like John and Elkins talked about the Colt...maybe a hunt of them looking for it. Or just him showing John the ropes. It sounded like he might've been John's first mentor on the job, seems like it could be interesting story. And, I think Matt Cohen could knock it out of the park, too.

Also got me to thinking about In The Beginning when Dean goes and gets the Colt from Elikins and tells him the gun will be with the Campbells. Maybe Elkins had been keeping an eye on John and Mary for years?

It didn't seem like anyone other than Azazel and his minions along with Lucifer and Michael knew that Mary and John were special. Once Mary and John got married, I doubt Elkins would have a compelling reason to watch out for them. And since John didn't know anything about the hunting life or the deal Mary made until the night she was murdered, John wouldn't even know who Elkins was. Now I could see John contacting Elkins after Mary died to help him figure out what happened.

I just meant that Elkins would've had to go to Kansas to get the Colt back, which means he would've encountered Mary. I'm just wondering if after she died, he took John under his wing because of his knowing of her and all, or if they just stumbled across each other by accident. I just think there's still some interesting story to be told here.